Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jose posted:

i went to aldi before work to get some shopping and the woman in the queue at the till in front of me had a 2 litre bottle of cider and nothing else

hashtag winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I ate a duck

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

I know some people who are touring every Nandos. Not sure if they're Goons (if so, hi), but they are well cheeky.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Nah, I think they're actually getting every Nandos for free as they do it. Hashtag winning ehhhhh

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
If you don't pre-order games at triple the price they'll be by the time they've fixed all the game breaking bugs then I don't know what to tell you

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Bozza posted:

You forgot your road tax, insurance and the cost of running and purchasing the car in your calculation.

If you're going to include the cost of an asset you already have, then you might as well include the fact that if you don't drive, and choose to live somewhere close enough to get to a train station, you will likely pay more rent. This is a flippant analogy (it does involve a car, after all), but in my area I could save about £100-200 a month on rent if I was happy to live somewhere nowhere near a train station. Which would cover the entire cost of a car, insurance, road tax, servicing, MOT. Plus I'd have a car.

For me it's a £9 journey to work each day or £1-2 of petrol. Driving sucks though, I'd rather be lazy and get the train if it wasn't monumentally expensive (even if I got a weekly ticket costing £32).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I know sharing facebook posts is rather passé, but I found this very amusing:

"Almost back in the civilization… Ugly and rude east midland makes London seems to be a fantastic destination!!! No wonder no significant Business there. East midland - what a waste of space!"

Kablammo!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Wow so much north. But who's prolier than thou

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm off to Iceland tomorrow! Should get me nicely in the mood for a British winter.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ratjaculation posted:

jfc facebook

I don't mind this at all but I wish some people could pay a silent tribute more quietly.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Salmon roast dinner with zero gravy for me.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm signed off work until the 10th December and I#m probably still working one more day than that!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jose posted:

I've been prescribed morphine

Did they give it to you on a drip with a button so you can have a little bit whenever you want? I'm guessing not if you're going home today. I had it with the administration-by-button last week... I ended up feeling very very itchy.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I remember when we were trying to set up our first ADSL router at uni over ten years ago my computer geek housemate picked Dabs and Ebuyer as his top choices. I remember they all sucked even back then though (especially the housemate).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Ahh, the joy of sending in a letter of resignation to go to a better job while signed off from my current job for a third week due to an operation.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Vitamins posted:

congrats!

i just found out i may have been underpaid for the past 6 months cos im a massive moron, good poo poo

Cheers! I guess (other than lost interest) it's better to be underpaid than overpaid, I have to pay £400 tax I owe because my current employer messed up on some benefits. Good to know the taxman is on the case for avoidance, after all, if they go after someone like me then imagine the good things they must be doing against all the corporations avoiding all those billions.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
And I'm sure the hundreds of upcoming redundancies when consolidate numerous offices will solve the problem :)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

lenoon posted:

It's time to move to another country that's exactly the same as Britain but better, like Germany

I also had the option of a job out in Iceland (and no not the supermarket), but prefer to stay in the UK for better or worse. If anyone thinks the UK is overpriced, try a few days in Iceland (at least it's definitely not a shithole, mind you).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

The doctor just signed me off work for another 9 days. :(

What's your major malfunction, and do you get full sick pay?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jose posted:

whats a good tool to take videos of the simpsons on my pc and put clips on youtube

Record them off the telly with your phone, everyone will know you're serious.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

XMNN posted:

desmond is a stupid name for a storm

Would've preferred Toni and Guy tbh

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Vitamins posted:

elite owns, flying across the galaxy is the best thing

Do the police still make you look stuff up in the manual like in the good old days?

ASCAB

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Bozza posted:

Before I was a cool kid who started doing marching band, me and my mates used to play Quasar (laser tag type thing for those not in the know...) fairly religiously twice a week for several hours.

Today, probably 12-13 years since any of us played seriously we reunited in Hemel Hempstead for two games.

It was p good but slightly awkward that there was like a kids 10th birthday party there so there was them plus 9 29-30 year old dudes playing super seriously.

Last time I played with a big group there was a bunch of Muslim ladies playing as well in full Niqab. It was brilliant, like we were shooting ninjas or Darth Vader.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Bozza posted:

Just got a £1,500 a year pay rise :getin:

How much will it cost to make the trains run on time

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Vitamins posted:

ive not been to the cinema in many many years

Next you'll tell us you don't even own a TV

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

corn in the fridge posted:

i often shop at waitrose

On the radio earlier they were talking about a shop at a service station but didn't want to say its name, so they said it "rhymes with Gaitrose" instead. Haha, gay-trose.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

buteruc posted:

Best place for a Skype interview in London tomorrow afternoon?

Somewhere quiet. And sexy.

Maybe I'm completely confused about the concept of this new-fangled Skypamazoo, but isn't the point of an interview on Skype that you can do the interview from home rather than travelling?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Is it Lego??

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I used Collect+ for two packages this month; they use Yodel too. One package got to its destination, the other didn't, so they sent it back to my house... and that's that?! So the seven quid I paid is just taken and gone and they expect me to pay again. I emailed to ask if they can perhaps offer me a discount for me to use them again but concepts like customer retention and goodwill (at Christmas!) are alien to Collect+ so I won't use them again and I encourage others not to, as well.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I do a job that actually has work at all times so it's pretty busy for me! I had my annual appraisal yesterday as well, got excellent ratings, best in the company nearly 100000 employees) for several competencies, goals 100% complete... but as I've given in my notice I will get no bonus and the company limits itself to one line for references so when my new employer contacts my current employer all they will be told is that I worked for the company across a certain period and my job title. Safe to say I'm glad to be leaving!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Same, with trains. Guess a few people at South Eastern decided to have an early start for Xmas.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I was literally turning my work chair in that exact manner and speed after submitting this post, so I saw my actions in that gif while this page loaded, spoopy.

britishbornandbread posted:

Girlfriend takes SE train to London for work and sent me pic of empty carriage this morning #rip

On the plus side I can leave at the same time I woulda left if I'd got into work on time so all the delay meant was I spent 20 minutes shitposting instead of working. That's the true Xmas spirit!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've been looking at a house for sale recently, although it's actually literally a converted gaol. £400,000, 8 bedrooms, split into one main part with 5 bedrooms and three one-bedroom/studio flats that all currently have tenants. Put down a fair-sized deposit and the income from the three rented flats will cover mortgage payments.

Probably not a great idea for a first-time buy, however.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

learnincurve posted:

lol unless every single one of those flats are up to our new landlord laws you will be eligible for a minimum of a £10k fine per flat, iirc its one year from purchase to make sure the electrics, windows, bathrooms, kitchens, boilers and heating are up to code.

lol yes I would be VERY scared if I were a landlord and found to be letting out inappropriate housing, e.g. http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/23/landlord-charged-young-family-800-a-month-to-live-in-garage-5583246/ oh my look at that whopping fine and punishment to which the landlord in that case was subjected. Why, take this quote from the council spokesman: ‘I hope the strong action taken by Blaby District Council will deter other landlords from letting tenants live in poor conditions.’ STRONG ACTION, you hear? Strong. I am completely dissuaded, as are many landlords will have been, after reading that.

In actuality I am going to remain a tenant paying someone else's mortgage for at least the next six months (after that I'll probably buy one of the very many new builds on a flood plain, sounds like a plan!) and laugh at the very idea that there are new rules for landlords that are actually going to be enforced that will discourage landlords from being shites. In fact now I'm re-reading your post I'm thinking you must have been being very subtly ironic, the bit about only having one year to flout the law with the safety of your tenants is what gave it away though, as if that's a scary concept for a landlord... nice try!

[Also, super lol at the "Read more at the metro" text that was nearly added to my post after copying and pasting from their website. Again, nice try, Metro!!]

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Indeed, please do not dox me

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pistol_Pete posted:

"Turn the heating up, will you"

"Could you open the door and let the cat in"

"Can you close that door, there's a draught now"

"Ooh, this radiator's freezing, is the water pressure low?"

"Switch the kettle off at the wall: you'll start a fire!"

"Sit down, you're making the place look untidy"

"No, don't sit on the cushions, you'll squash them!"

"Where's your father go to, for heaven's sake?"

"Oh, don't worry, he's in the garage again, I don't know WHAT he's doing in there"

"Turn the heating up, will you"

(repeat on an infinite loop, until Christmas is finished.)

I love my parents really, honest

My favourite with the in-laws at Christmas was being told to shut doors after I left rooms, and then having "You're shutting me in!" exclaimed at me when I did so. I'm sure there is a complex system that explains under what circumstances one is meant to shut or open a door but I can't be bothered to learn it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

feedmegin posted:

Probably 'shut the door if there's noone in the room when you leave'? ;)

But that means to leave the door open when other people remain in the room... Are you mad? What if the heat gets out? What if they can hear the washing machine? What about if the smell of bread being toasted spreads throughout the house? I'd never be invited back.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm surprised that a uni town with multiple colleges can be described as 'tiny' (this is actual surprise as I've never Bern there, rather than sarcasm)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jose posted:

i got loads of morphine but it turns out its poo poo if you don't inject it

Didn't do much for me neither apart from make me very itchy scratchy tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Maybe they should rename it Breasterfield eh eh