Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Neurophonic posted:

Pancho’s in the Arndale is the only remotely acceptable Mexican food I’ve had in the UK, and I was looking for a good while before fully giving up.

El Cartel here in Edinburgh is the closest I've found to a real Mexican place. Its tiny, super small menu - their lengua taco is nice.

They've opened a second, bigger location last year though, so I'm sure it'll go to poo poo soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

We have a mysterious French cheese van that all French people i know rave about but I've never been able to find at any of it's rumoured locations.

Until late last year! We stumbled across it at Stockbridge Market, and can confirm - it's a van with a very French guy who imports his own cheese, and its amazing :france:

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Mask uptake has been pretty good here in Edinburgh (at least in the bit where I live) - its gone from maybe 20% wearing masks in sainsburys before, to 80% now that they are mandatory.

I did go to the beer garden of the Pear Tree on Sunday (no indoor here yet), which was anxiety inducing but actually turned out well in the end. No masks at tables, but easily 2 meters space between tables , and folk wearing masks to the loos. Hand sanitiser everywhere too.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Natalie Fartman posted:

I did week 2 day 2 of c25k today and I STRUGGLED because I was tired from work and had only eaten noodles and melon (not together). The app I use decided to close at the end of my workout, again, erasing all data from the run, and thus just like that it never happened. :argh:

I use the zombie app, its been pretty good at keeping stats around and the cheesy story is fairly bearable. Week 4 day 1 today, can't believe I've kept it going

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Speaking of actual proper Chinese places, Noodles & Dumplings here in Edinburgh is open again. Their hand pulled noodles and xinjiang lamb skewers are amazing.

Also they gave me a mug, for 'being a good customer' which is weird but sweet!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

kru posted:

Does delivery stand up like in-house? 99% of delivery chinese in Edinburgh is atrocious.

also goonmeet when

Ooh I don't actually know - never tried to get them to deliver as they're pretty close by. They're basically there to serve the Chinese student population in the south side - so don't do any UK-Chinese dishes, I'm so happy they're around :allears:

I'd be up for a goonmeet - could go to the Royal Dick or something

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Quotey posted:

it's a bastard, snowed up here on monday and it's still there

Can't wait for it to melt, it's getting pretty old now (plus it's getting to that ice-under-snow point that makes things nice and treacherous)

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

CancerCakes posted:

I stayed up all night trying to get the Aldi one a few weeks ago. They sold out immediately and grifters were selling them for twice the sale price. So maybe pick one up, if you don't like it you will make some money. Rather someone bought one with some intention of using it.

Plenty of reviews on YouTube I think. The ceramic egg style BBQs have a lot of advantages, but they don't have a lot of cooking area so if you want to be able to cook burgers and sausages for 20 people you are better off with something else. If you want to do great beef joints for 4 people it is perfect.

I've had the aldi one for a couple of years now, it's really really good and super simple to use. Probably use it more than the actual oven at this point (especially now the weather's less Scottish).

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Ratjaculation posted:

And thanks friends for all the offers of helping me with my invoicing, unfortunately it needed specific info that is trapped on my dead laptop because I'm an idiot and didn't save it in a dropbox folder.

so now you'll have to enjoy a month of me LiveJournalling syphoning fuel from my landlord and culinary reviews of batch meals, the weird forgotten stuff in the freezer and some gum peeled from the kerb

Do you still need a charger for it?I think I've got a magsafe-connector mac charger sitting around somewhere, happy to ship it over (if thats the one you need)

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

the sex ghost posted:

I've finally broken free from the shackles of Big Coffee and bought my own grinder and a French press. What are some good beans to get. The ones I've seen online are all either BEST BRITISH COFFEE with a bulldog on the bag or EXTREME loving HEADBUTT KILL YER MAM coffee with police warning tape and a skull on the bag. Any recs

There's loads of small importers and roasters around, so you could look for one near you - I like these guys here in Edinburgh, but there's a zillion different ones around now.

If you're looking to just get stuff mailed to you, I Iike Grind - it's all compostable packaging and ethically sourced and so on, but mainly good because it tastes fine and comes in a handy letterbox-fitting package

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Anyone at the fringe this year?

Staying out of the city centre as much as possible this time of year, as always - had to walk over north bridge the other day, and with the eternal bridge-works and the fringe crowds, it's even worse than normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Frankfurt is super boring - although you do get hefeweisen in the Lufthansa lounge, that's nice.

I think my favorite airport is Changi - there's a neat little food court hidden away in it, with some good options. Or guess I just miss living in Singapore and eating all the good food all the time