Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

kecske posted:

it's the one that looks dumb as hell, op

I think I'm going to investigate in the hatchback area first before I somehow end up buying an xc90 or something

The last car I bought was a Kia Niro and it's a pretty drat nice car and hits that 'crossover but not too huge' kind of area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The e niro is a great car also. I mean it'll quite quickly get surpassed but certainly right now still a great buy. But I don't think there are any available lol.

That's what I got, but I was lucky to get it - some corporate cancelled their order due to the pandemic so there were around 50 nicely specced ones in black only for about a day. I've only been putting about 200 miles a month on it because of the plague, but I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks and will be putting about 500 miles in a day on it (bristol, north wales, scotland), which should be fun since my experience of public chargers is limited.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

goatface posted:

Take along a diesel generator just in case.

First time I did a long distance trip I used the wrong charger and got 20 charge miles after 45 minutes. Drove to the next charger and it was broken, ended up at another with 7 miles in the battery and managed to get back up to 80%. Fun stuff for sure.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

Correct answer. Especially if they do a decent curry sauce.

Hmm yes, my local place have a whole array of sauces (irish/chinese/chipshop/gravy) as well as beans/mushy peas and they are consistently good fish AND chips which is kind of rare sometimes.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I too am curious about Irish sauce.

Regular chips from my Chinese come in bags and I swear they must quadruple-fry them, they're so drat crispy. They also have salt and chili chips which are amazing.

My old hometown Chinese closed down after they were caught using the heat from the kitchen to hide the massive weed-growing operation they had going on in the top two floors of the building.

I asked and apparently it's just McDonnells Curry Sauce mix. Tasty though. The place is an odd mix of irish, turkish and local (west midlands) staff but the deep fried food is mostly spot-on. Never tried the kebabs but a few months back there was a (sober) guy in the queue telling me they were amazing.

We have a pretty decent family run Chinese nearby, but very anglicised; I used to work near Chinatown in Sydney and there was some amazing authentic food to be found there (not in the restaurants, but the little food hall places hidden away - just some little grandma with a wok and a 25kg sack of MSG to hand)

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Personally I do a vegetarian version with every loving thing wot ain't meaty;

fried eggs
beans (overcooked a bit)
couple of giant portobello seasoned then shallow fried then roasted in the oven a bit
quorn bacon
veggie sausages of some kind
hash browns
shallow fried potato scones
cherry tomatoes cooked nice and hot so they caramelise a little
crusty white bread (not toast) with butter to mop up the bean sauce
HP sauce

I have prep down to an art now but it still takes a fairly long time to put together.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

CancerCakes posted:

Counterintuitively, the posh services are CHEAPER, because they have often have a Waitrose. That means instead of buying a can and a sandwich for 5 quid, you can buy a 2.5 litre bottle, a loaf of bread, cheese and ham and butter for 5 quid - Waitrose is an expensive supermarket but a cheap services.

I used to have a campervan and it was great, I did M&S oven pizza for 3 of us and made a nice pot of tea at one services stop and it was still cheaper than overpriced sandwiches.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Just been on a round trip to north wales to pick up my son who smells like a pair of small goats after a week of being feral in the woods at summer camp.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I'm not quite sure how, but every single item of clothing he owns is soaking wet and I've found three dead wasps in there so far. The smell is not good either.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

Back when I was a young'un gobbling up ecstasy pills as if I were Pac Man I used to love the "come-up poo poo"

I'd sit on the throne and ring my sober housemates and yell "IT'S COMING, IT'S loving COMING!"

I once stared at a Big Mac at a McDonald's in Brixton for over an hour because I was super hungry but I physically could not eat it.

Drugs are bad for you, kids

I had a friend who bribed the dudes at McDonalds to give him an entire plastic bucket of pickles and he sat in a darkened room for 12 hours eating the loving things (LSD, weed and ecstasy combined if I remember correctly, not sure why the combo triggered an insatiable lust for pickles though)

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Ebola Dog posted:

I've had to do a display screen equipment health and safety thing multiple times, basically how to set up a desk, screen, keyboard and mouse so you don't gently caress your wrist or back. However it also has the helpful advice of "remember to blink whilst using a screen or your eyes will dry out". I mean no poo poo, remember to breath or you will suffocate.

People are stupid. I was on the H&S committee at a previous job in a printing press every single month the same person would fall over their own chair and nothing else would happen and that would be all we had to discuss, but in previous years they had to deal with;

• Some people playing with a very fast moving overhead conveyor and someone lost a finger
  • An entire team deciding to move into an empty server room (it had aircon) that contained a half-decommissioned fire suppression system that would have killed everyone if it ever went off.
  • A pair of twits who decided to use a giant pulley hook on a chain as a kind of warehouse dodgeball and ended up concussing one of them.

Photo of the conveyor attached (it could move, very, very fast and stretched through several levels and rooms of the building)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Mojo Jojo posted:

Woolworths sold a really bewildering range of things. I remember that their toy sales were brilliant though. It was always 3 for the price of 1 or something and came at the end of summer, so I'd take my pittance from whatever "jobs" I'd been doing and spaff it all on injection moulded plastic

My father-in-law was a Woolworths manager, and one of the strengths and weaknesses of the whole thing was the autonomy given to the managers - they chose what to stock (to a certain extent), they did the accounts, they chose what to discount. It lead to a ton of corruption in the form of massive kickbacks from reps, rampant embezzlement, and in the case of my father-in-law, using all the local stores who he helped out with their accounts as a money laundering front. He eventually got caught and kindly asked to leave and never mention it again in case it got out that half the stores in a fairly large region were selling stolen goods, the actual legit stock was going out the back door to be sold cash-in-hand in pubs, and half of the staff were in on it.

If you remember those huge big red weigh yourself machines? petty cash for getting drunk as gently caress on the weekend.

Yeah, this was the wild west of the 80's - later on it got a bit more corporate and bit less exploitable.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't have a personalised number plate but judging someone for getting one is weird and just makes you look sad.

I dunno can we judge the person who I see round here sometimes who has a three digit plate that is probably valued at round 200k?

Also I got a little cold virus just in time for the bank holiday yaaaay. (probably not covid I hope - no temperature, cough is almost non-existant, just sniffly, headache and exhausted, but I'm going to stay in just in case)

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Maugrim posted:

Probably worth getting tested. You’ve just listed the top symptoms of delta variant for vaccinated people (headache/runny nose/sore throat). Official guidance unfortunately hasn’t been updated with that info but yeah

E: it’s still probably just a cold of course!

I've got a test ordered as of last night, but was feeling a lot better this morning anyway.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Masks are on their way out

It's definitely dropping off pretty fast now. Seeing 30-50% masked most places now, and fewer shops are insisting on it (our local toy shop is the only place they were being strict about it in the last 2 weeks - it's a family run place and very pokey so I guess they still care).

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Walking out on a job is a life experience everyone should get at least once, but only once.

I've done it ... 4 times now and always had a better paying job within the week.

1 because they phoned me up and called me a oval office for not working unpaid overtime.
1 because my immediate boss was abusive (less extreme than the above, but over more time I guess).
1 because they offered me a payrise on the condition noone else in my team got one.
1 because they were a literal cult.

But I'm also old and have in-demand skills so I can afford to be a bit bold at times. Not always possible if they have you by the balls.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

cynic posted:

1 because they phoned me up and called me a oval office for not working unpaid overtime.

When I did this one, my wife worked at the jobcenter and got me a nice government job within 2 hours buying sweets for historic monuments. So I walked back to the office next day to get me jacket and told everyone they could earn more doing admin buying overpriced chocolate for castles. Company folded in 6 months anyway (it was a lovely Netware 4 consultancy which dates it). Later I worked for the company that trained the company owner and when I told them where I worked they laughed their loving asses off - told me the company owner was a legend - noone had EVER, in the history of the world (they checked global scores for 10 years back), failed a Novell exam as badly as the company owner. They thought it was the funniest thing they'd heard in years that he started a loving consultancy. I'm not even joking, they were laughing for literal days every time they thought about it.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

er... sorry actually i totally wrote that wrong. i meant dude as in a nice person with the right opinions not an actual man. oops and sorry to anyone that might think I was being a right prick

No, this is still gibberish, sorry.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I'm confused now who edited what but lets just all be friends?

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

ffs

ok. i still took the piss out of you but it was in a friendly and submissive way like a dog lying on his back with his paws up offering you a good old play.

anyway

im off to london at the weekend. excel for a homebuilders show thing to learn but maybe also sell my wares a bit and then in theory off to a pub for a memorial for someone we lost where it will all go horribly wrong and i'll probably upset everyone and end up dead or in prison

add all this to my skillset on the spreadsheet pls.

If you mean the one on the 24th, have you already paid for tickets because I have some free ones I think?

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Gasmask posted:

i thought gasmask was a cool name when i was a teenager working on half life mods that ripped off necromunda

later it led to a lot of confusion with fetishists who found me on icq

My nick when I worked on Q2 mods was also confusing to a lot of people; when I started picking up pedos on ICQ I used to hand them over to my wife to have her wicked way with them. She was sending dick pix and creepy chatlogs to poor pedo's mothers before it was cool.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I WAS TOLD THIS WAS A PERK!

(But if people are interested I get free tickets a few times a months for poo poo like this - this month has been wine, photography, and this)

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

ill have the wine ones

Not joking DM me and I will get you wine-award-show castoffs delivered to you door. You may end up with 24 bottles of Japanese sparking rose however.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

that link earlier suggests tickets are like 8 quid, these guys love to rip me off:

thats 18 quid a ticket

In-person shows have been hosed by covid and they are desperately trying to keep afloat with crappy marketing, which is a shame because I love trade shows because I find it really chill that people are just getting paid to speak poo poo to me and neither of us really cares too much if a sale is made. And I get like 3 pairs of 'Oracle' branded socks or whatever a year.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

cynic posted:

In-person shows have been hosed by covid and they are desperately trying to keep afloat with crappy marketing, which is a shame because I love trade shows because I find it really chill that people are just getting paid to speak poo poo to me and neither of us really cares too much if a sale is made. And I get like 3 pairs of 'Oracle' branded socks or whatever a year.

Back in 2019 in the before-times I won two Nintendo switches at the same show in ~November and I was popular as gently caress with my nephew and niece at Christmas.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

el dingo posted:

Me interview went real good I think. If it was scheduled for 30 mins and went for 45 that is a good sign? Handing in my notice with december looming is gonna be funny as gently caress

I always time handing in my notice for maximum comedy effect - the last one I managed to take out the director with me (he had been promising me a proper job title/pay rise etc once I delivered a project worth millions, he refused point blank after I delivered, so I quit. Me leaving torpedoed the entire project and lost them so much loving money, 6 months later they still can't hire a replacement even though they're offering the proper job title and £10k more cash). He was gone 2 weeks after I was.

The previous job I quit, they were thoroughly abusive and underpaying pretty much everyone, so I got myself a new job, then got 50% of my team a new job as well, and we all left within a few weeks of each other.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Maugrim posted:

I suggest he chooses a name then, what the hell is he waiting for

To the person who was asking if their energy supplier account credit would carry over, yes it should as long as you let Ofgem manage the handover to your new supplier and don't try to mess with cancelling/registering with someone else on your own initiative. We were with People's Energy who were one of the first to bite the dust, apparently we're with British Gas now.

Yeah, the worst thing that can happen with your supplier going bust is that you end up with British Gas - your balances etc are maintained, you just owe them to a new overlord with (probably) worse customer service.

I'm with Bulb, who are already bugging the government for money, but might be OK? I dunno it's hard to tell whats going on, except everything is a little more hosed this month than usual.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

crispix posted:

having a really irish name is a bit of a peril where GB is concerned. i know a bláithín and when people ring from GB she's invariably called nathan with a bl :laugh:

it's "blawh-heen"

means little flower :sun:

My Irish nieces all have incredibly Gaelic names and their father got a job in Alabama studying fish STD's and now they're all teenagers and changed their names to Emma (instead of Aoefe) and Sharon instead of Seoirsín because I guess they were sick of just being called entirely random crap.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Both our cars need fuel lol I bet Tesla owners feelin real smug rn

My neighbour and I both have EVs as we gave each other the secret EV owner smug nod to each other this morning.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Was feeling polite today and let a few cars go round me because there was a gigantic queue for the garage and some twat in a flatbed with portaloos on the back drove right at me and gridlocked the traffic for miles around good job you giant poo poo-shifting fanny. Ended up having to negotiate with the dynarod guy in a van behind me to 'clear the blockage' and drive right onto the pavement to clear things.

edit: oh and I was just popping down the t' Range to buy cat litter because there was a ton of poo poo in the litter tray. Thoroughly faecal day for real.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

hbag posted:

i go with my dad to the pub the first tuesday of every month and last time he bought out the entire supply of pickled onion spade raiders they had at the bar and they had to go into the back for another box
loving legend

My dad did this when they told us they had stopped serving food and it was raining out, but with scampi fries.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

kecske posted:

airlock probably, try bleeding it

Also thermostatic valves can jam closed - if you take off the plastic thermostatic bit, there should be a valve with a pin in it, which you can poke at, lube up or jam down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOqb7Wuw-Sc

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Collateral posted:

They are like that by design, they don't want the wrong sort getting in the door.

I worked a short contract in a civil service department to fix some hosed up data in an obscure format I had experience on, and the guy who sat opposite me was on a fast track to promotion and also a heart attack (he ate ~10 greasy chicken drumsticks EVERY single day for a late breakfast, then got 3 Big Mac meals for lunch). He used to lecture me on how I should act more professionally, dress better, and maybe one day I could be as successful as he was. Big lol though because I knew civil service pay scales (they keep them in a series of ring binders of course) and I was getting paid as much per day as he was getting a week. He probably still has a better pension than I do though, if he's intervening 15 years on a diet of pure grease.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm not complaining but geez its basically dadznet in here now lol.

My son has spent half-term practicing Smash Bros in secret so he could OWN ME SO HARD tonight. Very proud, first time he's even beaten me in best out of 3, usually I have no mercy.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So did you have mercy? Or did he just best you old man?

I was thoroughly and fairly defeated - he's been practicing with Sora and Ridley and he's brutal with either of them. I got 2 KO's vs 8 which is definitely owned.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

CancerCakes posted:

I'm wearing a suit today (!) Makes a nice change from my normal working attire (dressing gown)

One of my work colleagues forgot to turn his camera off today and now I know he works in a star wars dressing gown, hood up, in a darkened room surrounded by cats. Living the dream imho.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

M&S are charging a fiver for this.

My wifes go-to comfort food is toast, smooth peanut butter, a pile of beans, american cheese slices, slightly grilled until melty.

It's equal parts disgusting and good, and has the advantage of being filthy cheap, high protein poverty food. When we were students we lived off this, grilled chicken in a toastie maker, and rice with tomato ketchup. Yeah we were really, really loving bad with money.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you married your student girlfriend? awks. Let me tell you, you've missed out on disappointing so many more women

30 years of disappointing the same woman, I've gone for quality rather than quantity.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

captainclaw posted:

I am the person that shouts "IT'S LEGAL TENDER" when I come south of the line

Not even legal tender anywhere on the planet; https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes/legal-position.html

I know more than any human should on the subject because developed a previous iteration of that website. And a website about testicle cancer, and a bunch of other really weird niche websites. I'm great at parties, everyone really needs to know all the loving in depth weird facts I know on things because I spent 3 months being asked to move a box on a bank note 3 pixels to the left, or colour adjusting a medical photo of elephantitis of the teste, or learning the details of electoral systems in central African countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

Basically, they are here solely for the blood sport enjoyment of the elites.

I grew up in prime pheasant country (the wilds of Scotland) and used to do beating (shut up) for the various dukes and viscounts when I was a teen. And they truly were a shower of cunts. Treated everyone like dirt, drunk driving Landies into ditches at 10am, and got hit with birdshot one memorable time (the very fat, very florid dude in question got his gun confiscated by the gamekeeper and told to go sit in the naughty corner in no uncertain terms. Apparently he owned a very large law firm in London, and his gun and tailored tweeds were of the finest quality and had never been used before). He didn't listen to the instructions (guns only point in one direction, never towards the beating line, it's pretty clear and simple), drank a shitload of brandy with his cornflakes and started just unloading his weapon into a bunch of underage beaters all willy-nilly.