Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wain/Showalter have been done a prequel to their 2001 cult classic and it's all on Netflix now. Featuring pretty much every adult member of the original cast (even Bradley Cooper!) and new additions like Jon Hamm, Jason Schwartzman, Kristen Wiig, and many, many (no seriously, many) more!

There's 8 half-hour episodes and right now I'm an episode and a half in and it's absolutely fantastic. Obviously it can't be quite as consistent with jokes as the movie but boy does it come close.

I guess maybe spoiler tag stuff, and say what episode your spoilers are from, for a couple of days? I don't really care about that poo poo but it seems like a nice thing to do. Here's a (real, so watch out) example:

Episode 2
The opening scene with Jordan Peele/Paul Scheer/Jayma Mays and Banks was absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks for the thread. I'm on ep 5(?) and it never stops being more amazing. Like the way they are doing backstories but keeping the madcap antics and zany 80s bullshit constant is transcendental. I thought They Came Together was peak WainWalter and I have never been happier to be wrong..

If there isn't a payoff to Coop being so loving fat I'm going to be mad diappointed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm really impressed by some of the child actors. The kid who plays the bully especially is killing it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Been so looking forward to this all year, even annoyed that at 2am UK time I was checking Netflix in case it was out despite having work today. I probably would've marathoned it overnight.

Had fingers crossed that they'd use the same (awesome) theme music, but they went one above by remaking the intro too. It looks perfect. Not even 30 seconds in and I'm grinning like a madman.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I can't wait to get off work and watch this. Do all the episodes take place on the same day?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They do!

gently caress, who plays the estate agent at the beginning of episode 4? I'm gonna kick myself when I find out, I know, but I just can't think of her name.

edit: it was Kerri Kenney-Silver. Man, episode 4 was just cameo central. Including literal cameoception in the final moments.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 31, 2015

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Episode 2:

Watching Chris Meloni slowly descend into insanity is going to be the highlight of the season, I can already tell.

e: I think this is vague enough to not be a spoiler but holy poo poo a They Came Together callback! That's the only logical explanation!

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 31, 2015

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

FadingChord posted:

e: I think this is vague enough to not be a spoiler but holy poo poo a They Came Together callback! That's the only logical explanation!

FadingChord, wait!

...poo poo.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

The buildup and the execution of the playing Higher and Higher was fantastic. Really happy with the series, they knocked it out of the park!

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
They're still as goddamn funny as before. This is awesome.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Christopher Meloni is the best

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
In episode 5 right now. This is absolutely amazing. I'm always wary of reboots, but this has been really well done.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen it mentioned much but they also added a short documentary called Hurricane of Fun about the making of the film.

Only seen the first episode of the show so far but it's as good as I hoped it would be.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Can someone explain David Hyde Pierce's character? His plotline didn't make any sense. Is he from the movie?

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Irish Joe posted:

Can someone explain David Hyde Pierce's character? His plotline didn't make any sense. Is he from the movie?
Haven't watched the series yet, but yes. He's Beth (Garofolo)'s love interest.

Edit: Having watched, I agree. His segment was pretty useless in the context of the series, the end cameo would have been sufficient.

Reo fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 1, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ep 6
"You know what we have at dinner in my house? Nothin'!....sometimes chicken."

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This show is hilarious. There's so many great cameos. Christopher Meloni's descent is my favorite thing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
E5 intro "I'm gonna kill you and gently caress you." Holy poo poo I actually spit out a bit of my drink, that line was so unexpected.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm really impressed by some of the child actors. The kid who plays the bully especially is killing it.

Yes! He's making me laugh as much as anyone. Reminds me of a tiny Nick Kroll or something.

I love Lake Bell as Michael Showalter's endlessly confusing love interest. It's just perfect for his romantically awkward character. (That's episode 1, so I don't think that's any sort of spoiler)

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I binged it hard.

The whole thing was really good. I was worried they would reuse every joke from the movie, but they kept it original while pacing the callbacks really well.

The cameos are just insane in this. I had no idea. And I think half the cast of Mad Men was in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just finished and it was fantastic. Could have done with more Hamm and David Hyde Pierce, but overall I had a great time with it. Pretty much a perfect follow-up.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Finished the series. Last episode "You saved friendship with a song!" had the biggest laugh from me; A+ reboot, looking forward to the rewatch.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I really appreciate that (Episode 8 spoiler): When Gene and the Falcon were fighting they broke the telephone in the mess hall. Earlier on, Gene was using that phone, and I thought, 'Hey. The only 2 phones are in the counselors office and the infirmary! They'd better answer for that.' And they totally did.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Only watched the first two episodes, but what a difference. That first one was just painfully unfunny and honestly dull.

The second episode was such a turnaround which my partner and I absolutely loved. I hope it stays like that 2nd episode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I loved the film but honestly, this just was not funny every scene is one of 3 things

1. Joke about how their old people playing young people.

2. Serious Conversation then CRAZYNESS

3. Boring.

I thought it was complete garbage.

modern villian
May 4, 2009
I was so happy for Ken Marino's The State callback

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I loved this and can't wait for part 3 in 2029.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I decided to rewatch the movie before going through this just to refresh myself on the characters, I still forget how great the movie was. Only one episode in so far but the humor seems intact and the actors just slotting back into character despite the ridiculous (and hilarious) age difference is just great.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Jerusalem posted:

I decided to rewatch the movie before going through this just to refresh myself on the characters, I still forget how great the movie was. Only one episode in so far but the humor seems intact and the actors just slotting back into character despite the ridiculous (and hilarious) age difference is just great.

The problem with watching the movie on Netflix is you miss out on the DVD's fart audio track.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Holy poo poo, the can of vegetables. That was not what I expected.

This rules.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
I think I enjoyed this more than the movie.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Apart from the somewhat slow first episode, this was pretty amazing. It was at least as good as the movie, maybe a little better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PotatoJudge posted:

The problem with watching the movie on Netflix is you miss out on the DVD's fart audio track.

I own it on DVD so I watched it like that, but I didn't know about this :allears:

I think my favorite thing about episode one is Coop chasing after the new kid who slows down and stops.... then starts running again when Coop gets near. And it just goes on and on.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

I'm a huge fan of the movie and the Stella folks and this didn't disappoint me at all. It was hilarious, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Delighted.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Ha ha, y'all sound like my daddy when he gets into the Planter's Punch! :D

:stare:

\/\/\/ Someone needs to gif Jonah/Gene sliding out of the closet when Victor runs out of the bunkhouse.
Edit: This, but better quality.

Reo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 1, 2015

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
I wasn't sure that the series was as good as the film until this.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This John Hamm fellow is really something. I think this kid is going places.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just started the first episode and holy poo poo, its amazing how some of the people look exactly the same. Then you have a few people who are clearly 2-3 times the size they were 15 years ago.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Michael Showalter looks like a completely different person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

swickles posted:

I just started the first episode and holy poo poo, its amazing how some of the people look exactly the same. Then you have a few people who are clearly 2-3 times the size they were 15 years ago.

That's why this is great, it just adds to the humor. Instead of making it a sequel, which would make sense with them being older, they went prequel and said "gently caress it"

Also, it gets even better as the season goes on.

• Locked thread