Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It seems there's probably sufficient interest in a new dynasty league. I've never played dynasty before, and I think it's high time.

Obviously it's a dynasty league; that is, we'll be keeping some players and redrafting from one season to the next. This will also be an auction-style draft. 2QB leagues are dumb so this won't be a 2QB or superflex format.

Still open for discussion:
  • Money vs. free league? A couple goons in the NFL fantasy thread were in favor of a money league, and I'm open to that. Something between $20 and $50 seems appropriate?
  • Number of teams? I think 10 is a minimum and 16 is probably too many; 12 or 14 seem ideal to me.
  • Host? I won't do Yahoo again. I'd prefer ESPN, although I could be talked into a different host. They all seem to be terrible in various ways, so it comes down to picking the least-terrible.
  • Probably no kickers. I don't mind kickers but a lot of people don't like them and I'm OK with that. Unless a majority of players want them, I guess we'll cut them.
  • IDP? I'd really like to include IDP rather than a DST option. Especially in a dynasty format. As with kickers though, if a majority of players don't want to do IDP, I can accept that.
  • FAAB? I'm ambivilent on this one. Certainly there should be a good and fair waiver system.
  • All the other details... number and type of roster slots, scoring, playoffs format, payout format, draft date, keeper rules, all that poo poo

Since this is a dynasty league, and probably a money league, if you sign up you need to commit. poo poo happens, etc., but I'd rather not deal with impulse joins who disappear within a few weeks. I'm very much in favor of constructing a playoffs and payout format that support long-term thinking and avoid the tendency of teams with a losing season to "give up" around week 10 and just stop caring. The dynasty format helps with that but we can also make sure it's still fun in week 14, for everyone.

This will be my fourth year playing fantasy football. Last year I played in three leagues, winning my old/regular league, placing well in the IDP-only league, and doing very poorly in a money league where I took over for a dropout late in the season with a very very bad team. I think I have enough experience to take on a manager role for a league, and I have a good longstanding rep on SA when it comes to money stuff - in particular I've been running the Trad Games Secret Santa for several years now.

I'd like people joining to at least have played fantasy football before. Jumping into a dynasty money league in your first foray into FF is probably not the best idea. That said I think a mix of newbies and veterans is great.

Post if you're interested, post if you have advice, post if you think I'm doing anything wrong. When we have a full league and have settled on the rules and stuff, I'll make a new thread for the actual league going forward.
pre:

Goonlist		interest	Host?		IDP?	Money?	PPR?	Other ideas

Leperflesh		Confirmed			Y	$20-50	Y
Metapod			Confirmed?	fleaflicker		$20-30	Y
Chen Kenichi		Confirmed
Hixalot			Interested			Y
Swarmin Swedes		Confirmed			pref N	$20-30
Gyshall			Confirmed
The Zack		Confirmed
Kazak_Hstan		Confirmed	ESPN			$20-50	
Bloody			Interested			Y	$25
Spermy Smurf		Confirmed				$25/30
atomictyler		yes		
Stevie Lee		Confirmed

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm in I'll give my thoughts later

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Sign me up. New to IPD but very interested in trying it out.

As much as MFL has a bad interface, it allows for a lot more customization for dynasty formats, so I'd recommend considering that as well.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
Interested. Never did dynasty before, but I should have considering how drat long I have been playing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna just let people accumulate for the next 24 hours-ish and then if we have at least enough interest to do a league, we can start discussing specifics.

If more than 14 people express interest, I suppose we'll go first-come first-in, but keep the alternates in the thread in case we decide on a format that one or two people don't want and they drop out.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
For host I suggest http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl it has a lot customization options plus it's not mfl

The buy in should be in the $20-$30

I like the idea of Idp because it will get me invested in more players and I'm indifferent about kickers

Metapod fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 1, 2015

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
I'd be interested. Especially at a reasonable buy-in.

IDP is awesome and would love to do that, hate D/ST. I'm indifferent on kickers. ESPN is fine as far as hosts go.

I assume this would be auction format and not snake draft?

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
Sign me up. I am in as long as it's auction and would prefer a paid league. 20-30 sounds reasonable.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm in. I'll suggest some rules later... Dynasty needs to have enough framework to keep all franchises involved... I hate playing in leagues where guys don't maintain their actual dynasty team.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
In. This will be my first dynasty league, so I have no strong opinions on format, rules, etc.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

As far as draft goes, any interest in doing a slow email auction? That way, instead of setting aside 6 hours for a draft, we do it over a couple of weeks.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cervixalot posted:

As far as draft goes, any interest in doing a slow email auction? That way, instead of setting aside 6 hours for a draft, we do it over a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure how that would work with an auction draft

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I'm interested, but if it's going to be IDP I'll probably pass. I'm with you on using ESPN though

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Let me know if this is inaccurate:
pre:
Goonlist		interest	Host?		IDP?	Money?	Other ideas

Leperflesh		Confirmed	not Yahoo	Y	$20-50
Metapod			Confirmed?	fleaflicker		$20-30
Cervixalot		Confirmed 	MFL				Slow email auction?
Chen Kenichi		Interested
Hixalot			Interested			Y
Swarmin Swedes		Confirmed				$20-30
Gyshall			Confirmed
The Zack		Confirmed
Jota			Interested	ESPN		N
Slow draft is fun, but how to do it in an auction format is a good question. If there are multiple bids on the first 20 players, it could take weeks.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Let me know if this is inaccurate:
pre:
Goonlist		interest	Host?		IDP?	Money?	Other ideas

Leperflesh		Confirmed	not Yahoo	Y	$20-50
Metapod			Confirmed?	fleaflicker		$20-30
Cervixalot		Confirmed 	MFL				Slow email auction?
Chen Kenichi		Interested
Hixalot			Interested			Y
Swarmin Swedes		Confirmed				$20-30
Gyshall			Confirmed
The Zack		Confirmed
Jota			Interested	ESPN		N

Slow draft is fun, but how to do it in an auction format is a good question. If there are multiple bids on the first 20 players, it could take weeks.

You could potentially do a blind bid process, as people get nominated you have one secret bid and highest bid wins.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm in.

Prefer ESPN, hate yahoo. Prefer money because it keeps people interested, $20-50. 12 teams is about perfect. IDP agnostic, don't care about kickers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I put the signup list into the OP.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I am interested in this product and/or service and would be down for idp auction dynasty whatever and something in the ballpark of 25 USD

Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW
I'd be down if you need another.
Anything between $20-$50 would be fine with me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright guys, we have hit 12 people interested, which is great! I'd like to see if a couple more come in, particularly since it's possible we'll lose one or two once we nail down details, but I think we have enough folks that we can start figuring out some details.

Right now, three of us have specifically mentioned being interested in IDP, while Jota said he's not into that and the other eight didn't express an opinion.
Six of us specifically mentioned a money league (and it's in the thread title). $25 seems like a popular figure that fits into everyone's price range who has expressed a preference (which is half of us).
I've never used fleaflicker or MFL, I'd be happy to try either one, but three of us are also explicitly comfortable with ESPN.

Are there any other ideas? I can poll the group for explicit answers, but first I'd like to hear if anyone has thoughts on format, timing, rules, etc. Feel free to chime in and I'll collect everyone's opinions and then put together a poll. Ideally I'd like everyone to feel like this league is a good fit for them: it's an (ideally) multi-year commitment and that's far more likely to last if everyone likes what we're doing.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
As far as scoring goes I would prefer PPR

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
You can count me in as well provided there is no conflict with the draft, and any buy in is fine. Also I have zero preference on format (IDP/flex/4,5,6 pass td/etc.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I like 1ppr and would settle for .5ppr if a lot of people hate 1ppr.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
I would prefer no IDP but it certainly isn't a deal breaker. PPR sounds good and 25 dollars sounds great.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

25 bucks buy in is cool, 1 or .5 PPR is cool as well.

I'm Interested in IDP but not a deal breaker if we dont do it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Your champion has arrived.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Your champion has arrived.

I've been here for awhile actually :eng101:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Double post: Room for 2? Got an RL buddy who has never done this type and wants to join.

He has never been an absentee player in 6 years of leagues together so if we need 1 more he wants dibs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is he a goon? If he isn't a goon I think he should be a goon.

I'll say that I'm OK with it if everyone else is OK with it, but I don't feel like I should be the sole arbiter. I just think for smack-talking purposes, and all other communications type things, I'd think members of the league would need to be able to read and post in the SA thread, which is where I intend to do everything.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Is he a goon? If he isn't a goon I think he should be a goon.

I'll say that I'm OK with it if everyone else is OK with it, but I don't feel like I should be the sole arbiter. I just think for smack-talking purposes, and all other communications type things, I'd think members of the league would need to be able to read and post in the SA thread, which is where I intend to do everything.

Seems fair

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
League members should probably be goons.

I'll be in the field for a week starting tomorrow, back on the 9th. I don't see any consensus forming that I object to, so I'm happy with whatever we decide for format / rules.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Pretty sure he has an account from like 5 years ago he never uses... will get him to post in here.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah goons only.

My thoughts/requests (wall of text but I've played in two failed Dynasty leagues and don't want this to happen again so) Also if you're going to do a dynasty league, do it right:

Buy in don't care - maybe require the first two years as incentive to have everyone play at least two years??

Software ESPN is the lesser of evils, but MFL is a better option for flexability for Dynasty. Costs $70 a year though.

No Kickers, please

PPR - maybe give a .5 bonus for TE pass catches?

Would prefer to have a live draft, not slow - for the startup draft, I think Auction would be fantastic. Subsequent rookie drafts in years to come should be "Pick based" (ie. just like the NFL draft) $200 auction budget for startup would be ideal.

IDP agnostic - i'll play either way - with big rosters IDP is a must, imo.

Total teams 12 or 14 - 12 would let us do 4 divisions of 3 teams, which is nice.

FAAB - I hate waiver priority with a passion, so I try to pimp FAAB whenever possible. $100 FAAB budget would be ideal

35 player roster size - 2 IR spots and the taxi squad.

Last place (Sacko Bowl) bottom 4 teams play for draft picks/position - to keep it interesting. In one league we did - Champion picks 12th, Runner-Up picks 11th, Semi-Final losers pick 10th and 11th, Wildcard losers pick 7th and 8th, and non-playoff (SACKO) teams pick the remaining spots accordingly to the sacko bowl.

Roster makeup - 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 WR/RB Flex, 1 WR/RB/TE Flex/IDP? No team defenses or kickers and maybe multiple IDP spots? 2DE/DT, 2LB, 2 S/CB

Taxi/Practice Squad - maybe a 2 or 3 player roster where we can keep rookies and then "activate" them (ie. drop a guy on the main roster and move the rookie into the main one) - not sure if ESPN supports this. Only rookies would be allowed on the Taxi Squad

Other stuff
- More than one commissioner (2 or 3? Rotating every year?)
- Require majority rule (voting) for any rules changes
- No trade vetos (I hate this ability anyway and if we're all playing in the league we should all be trusted enough to not cheese trades or worry about collusion.) Sometimes Dynasty teams tank and I've seen guys make decent trades from a bad team to a better one and the entire league scream VETO!!!! so that the better team doesn't get better - but this is completely against the spirit of the format.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

Double post: Room for 2? Got an RL buddy who has never done this type and wants to join.

He has never been an absentee player in 6 years of leagues together so if we need 1 more he wants dibs.

I have arrived. I'm up for any sort of format.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Last place (Sacko Bowl) bottom 4 teams play for draft picks/position - to keep it interesting. In one league we did - Champion picks 12th, Runner-Up picks 11th, Semi-Final losers pick 10th and 11th, Wildcard losers pick 7th and 8th, and non-playoff (SACKO) teams pick the remaining spots accordingly to the sacko bowl.

Doesn't the auction draft make draft position pointless? Unless we have a rookie snake draft with each pick having a set price

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Metapod posted:

Doesn't the auction draft make draft position pointless? Unless we have a rookie snake draft with each pick having a set price

The auction would be for start up only, with rookie (non-snake) standard draft for pick tradingc.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cervixalot posted:

The auction would be for start up only, with rookie (non-snake) standard draft for pick tradingc.

Oh that makes more sense

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welcome aboard, atomictyler!

With that, we have 14 goons interested. I think we should close recruitment for now, although anyone else interested can go onto a waitlist. There's a decent chance one or two people will drop out, particularly once we get the rules down and also at the point where everyone has to pay up.

Gyshall, great post. Let me go through your ideas a bit:

Gyshall posted:

Buy in don't care - maybe require the first two years as incentive to have everyone play at least two years??

I'd like to keep it to one year; although I think it'd be great to incentivize everyone to stick around for multiple years this way, I don't want to be holding everyone's money for that long, and I also don't want to be asking everyone to commit so much to basically a stranger up-front. Maybe at the start of year 2, we can ask for a 2-year buyin or something.

quote:

Software ESPN is the lesser of evils, but MFL is a better option for flexability for Dynasty. Costs $70 a year though.

Is that $70 for each person to join? Or just $70 for the league? Either way, yikes. I mean, if we pay for it out of the league funds, it's not too bad, because 14 players times $25 is $350, but that definitely eats into the pot. It sounds like we're leaning towards ESPN, but if we decide on league rules that ESPN doesn't support, we can weigh the cost of MFL vs. how much we really want those particular customizations.

quote:

No Kickers, please
So far not one person has expressed a deep and abiding need to have kickers, so I think we can safely say they're out.

quote:

PPR - maybe give a .5 bonus for TE pass catches?

Now that's interesting! TEs tend to get short shrift; everyone wants Gronk and Graham and then they take a back seat to WRs and RBs. Especially with a WR/RB/TE flex spot. Doing something to boost the utility of a TE might be good, although it's going to make Gronk even more of a monster.

quote:

Would prefer to have a live draft, not slow - for the startup draft, I think Auction would be fantastic. Subsequent rookie drafts in years to come should be "Pick based" (ie. just like the NFL draft) $200 auction budget for startup would be ideal.

I like this idea. Being able to trade future picks along with players is "expert mode" trading in my opinion. Of course it's another place where an expert can take advantage of a neophyte, but it does give for example a team that has suffered from a lot of attrition the ability to accumulate better picks in an upcoming draft.

We might want to have a rule to prevent someone from crippling their team for multiple years, though. Like, maybe you can trade for next year's picks, but not the year after? The concern there is that someone badly cripples their team for years, and then drops out of the league, it'd be hard to find a sucker willing to take over the multi-year garbage fire.

quote:

IDP agnostic - i'll play either way - with big rosters IDP is a must, imo.

Yeah, adding IDP necessitates a longer roster... which I like. I've seen formats with as little as just throwing on one or two token DP slots, and with as much as an equal balance between offensive and defensive starters. I suspect the latter is a bit too much for most people, but ideally I'd like to see ~4-6 IDP slots to go with the usual ~8-9 offensive slots.

quote:

Total teams 12 or 14 - 12 would let us do 4 divisions of 3 teams, which is nice.

I like 12 and 14 too, and we have 14 signups as of today. What is the argument in favor of divisions? My experience with them is limited, but I hear a lot of stories about players stuck in divisions with the top teams in the league being eliminated from playoff contention even though they're better than other division champions who got in. On the other hand, if it's good enough for the NFL...

quote:

FAAB - I hate waiver priority with a passion, so I try to pimp FAAB whenever possible. $100 FAAB budget would be ideal

FAAB seems to be OK with most folks? It seems to not work great if there's hardly any waiver wire activity, but if people stay active and interested then you have to put genuine thought into your bids. I find it a big challenge to correctly size blind bids for replacements in a given week, but I suppose that's an area where skill can matter, which is a good thing for a game.

quote:

35 player roster size - 2 IR spots and the taxi squad.

Roster makeup - 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 WR/RB Flex, 1 WR/RB/TE Flex/IDP? No team defenses or kickers and maybe multiple IDP spots? 2DE/DT, 2LB, 2 S/CB

Taxi/Practice Squad - maybe a 2 or 3 player roster where we can keep rookies and then "activate" them (ie. drop a guy on the main roster and move the rookie into the main one) - not sure if ESPN supports this. Only rookies would be allowed on the Taxi Squad

So that'd be, what... 8 offensive players, maybe 6 IDP, 2 IR, 3 on a taxi squad, and 16 bench spots? That seems reasonable. We might want to add min/maxes for holding certain positions on the bench? E.g., max of 3 QBs, max of 4 LBs, that sort of thing?

quote:

We definitely want some kind of incentive for non-playoff teams to keep trying to win games through the end of the season. I was thinking an actual payout for the winner of a "loser's playoff" tree, but having redraft picks hang on final positions in the sacko bowl could work too. Particularly if it's not a snake redraft (since in a snake, going first isn't necessarily an advantage).

quote:

Other stuff
- More than one commissioner (2 or 3? Rotating every year?)
- Require majority rule (voting) for any rules changes
- No trade vetos (I hate this ability anyway and if we're all playing in the league we should all be trusted enough to not cheese trades or worry about collusion.) Sometimes Dynasty teams tank and I've seen guys make decent trades from a bad team to a better one and the entire league scream VETO!!!! so that the better team doesn't get better - but this is completely against the spirit of the format.

I'm happy to share commissioner-ship. I expect the league can vote for additional commissioners. Sharing the responsibility, and not having a single tyrant making rules decisions, sounds ideal.

I don't think there should be veto votes on every trade. I do think players should have the ability to raise questions about a questionable trade. I've been in a league where a frustrated player decided to do a kingmaker move as a prelude to exiting the league, and the commissioner had to roll back his trades with one of the two leading teams in the league; they were all very obviously garbage players being traded for excellent players, so there was not much controversy over the rollback.

I do think some folks are too quick to call "collusion" though. Merely making a poor trade isn't collusion. And I'm inclined to give a lot of leeway, especially in a dynasty league. You can trade away a good veteran player for a promising rookie if you want. You can also have bad wrong opinions about players. Every member of the league is entitled to evaluate football players and teams themselves, using whatever methodology they prefer, including gut feels and blind guessing. You can even just want a player because he has a good Football Name.

So I think the rules should certainly not prevent players from making advantageous trades. That's part of how you build a winning team and win at fantasy football, after all. They just need to prevent utterly bullshit moves that are can't possibly be in good faith.

Rules changes should require some kind of consensus, yes.

I'd be interested in everyone else's opinions on any/all of the above!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Leperflesh posted:

Gyshall, great post. Let me go through your ideas a bit:

Every post I make is a great post :colbert: although I'm just posting a lot of this stuff to keep it interesting and hopefully resilient as a league, since it sucks to have to replace franchises every year.

quote:

Is that $70 for each person to join? Or just $70 for the league? Either way, yikes. I mean, if we pay for it out of the league funds, it's not too bad, because 14 players times $25 is $350, but that definitely eats into the pot. It sounds like we're leaning towards ESPN, but if we decide on league rules that ESPN doesn't support, we can weigh the cost of MFL vs. how much we really want those particular customizations.

$70 per league, so we could just add :fivebux: or whatever to everyones buy in is.

quote:

So far not one person has expressed a deep and abiding need to have kickers, so I think we can safely say they're out.

:toot:

quote:

We might want to have a rule to prevent someone from crippling their team for multiple years, though. Like, maybe you can trade for next year's picks, but not the year after? The concern there is that someone badly cripples their team for years, and then drops out of the league, it'd be hard to find a sucker willing to take over the multi-year garbage fire.

In my other (good) dynasty league, we require the year of the pick you're trading buy in to be paid before trading that pick if it is in the top 4 rounds. So if you're trading your 2016 first round and your 2017 fourth round, you need to put up the money for those two years. Might be a little rich for peoples' blood here, which I get, but maybe do a variation of this where you pay half, or a fee.

Other than that, great! Thanks for being open to all these, Dynasty can be a fickle mistress to get right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I would definitely be down

Software: Would prefer ESPN
IDP: No Preference
Money: Yes, $20-$30 preferred
PPR: No preference

• Locked thread