Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

ALFbrot posted:

You realize that's BECAUSE it kept performing, week after week, right?

For reference; Titanic made 20-30M a weekend for like two months and still stayed #1 for 2 months after that. It was a set of legs we haven't seen since with the sole exception of Avatar.

F4 has nothing going for it; Titanic still got good reviews, Cameron had production problems but his film was good despite that and word-of-mouth was so much better than the pure venom you will see online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I feel the same way a lot of people felt in that F4 probably would have been a decent movie with lots of detractors if they kept the tone of the first half all the way through. The body horror motif that was there (and what Trank wanted in interviews and his drunken online ramblings on 4chan) but...eh, that's kind of a dark thing to have when F4 is all about a dysfunctional family who bands together when Doom threatens to take over the Statue of Liberty or something. Yes, it's to show how these people would react to being made of rocks or stretching themselves but trying to go Cronenberg with it is just off-putting. But, Trank made it believable and I was actually following the first half wondering where they were going with it.

Then "1 year later" happens and it all goes to poo poo. I was actually amazing, and I mean AMAZED, at how undercooked Doom was when he showed up. He basically arrives, goes "yup, I'm bad...time to die" and pulls a plan out of his rear end to destroy Earth and make Planet Zero his kingdom despite it being a dead ball of rock. The thing that sucks is the film actually has a brief moment of excellence where Doom is wandering down the hallway exploding heads and everyone's reaction is honestly frighteningly realistic like it was from a better film. But he's still a metal man with green veins who is a near God who never decides "hey, let's make the F4's heads explode because I can because I am a deity essentially".

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Boogaleeboo posted:

If he wasn't accidentally handed an unedited script for Seven, that very well *could* have been the end of Fincher's career.

The guy also remarked during the LA Riots that it's a shame they didn't start around 20th Century Fox's studios. He also declined appearing for the DVD release even though Fox was more than willing to say the film was poo poo because of them in the special features.

Josh Trank isn't dead in the water career-wise; people in Hollywood have done a lot worse (RDJ was persona non grata for 15 years) but as long as they make a serious effort to change (and come to their bosses first) they can recover.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 13, 2015

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Does Fox have to make specifically Fantastic Four films to keep the rights, or can they take liberties with the films they make with the characters?

To throw out a thought, would Fox maybe have a chance at reviving interest in the franchise if they pulled a "First Class/Origins: Magneto" thing with Doctor Doom? You can build up in the course of a film the mythos and mythology of Victor Von Doom on his journey that ultimately ends up with him becoming the infamous Doctor Doom, having him living in a world that is already full of the fantastic of arcane magic and science before cosmic rays or teleporter accidents. Some sort of tragic Citizen Kane/Darth Vader arc or something.

I guess it would really depend on what the courts have to say about that one and what the exact wording of the license is precisely.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
It's weird how Constantine is a cult favorite nowadays (there are people legit pissed about the TV show getting canned) given how spergy nerds got in 2005 because it "wasn't true" or some poo poo. I don't listen to those people anymore because it's just blind anger substituting for why they don't have jobs or people skills.

Uncle Wemus posted:

How the hell does this happen. Not that i feel bad for stan lee but drat.

The world of finances is a black abyss that will suck you in which is why it took the law like a loving decade to understand how bad the banks hosed everyone in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Kush posted:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hollywood-Economist-2-0-Financial/dp/1612190502

I'd recommend this. It has some insane stories in it too so it's not too depressing or headache inducing if that's what you fear.

I have this book as well (first version, don't know if this is accurate now) and the best was the balance sheet it had for Terminator 3 which revealed a LOT more money was spent on practical stuff and effects (Arnold was also a pricey motherfucker) than CGI (which accounted for a fraction) which, to me, seemed like the devil's advocate argument as to why studios rely on CGI.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=453782362

duz posted:

We can see thanks to the paperwork filed in those lawsuits.
Example:

Basically they charge themselves various fees until there's no profit left.

For anyone that wants the tl;dr version: Warner Bros. lost $167M on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix after 612M worth of related revenue (everything from theatrical gross to merchandise to home video) over two years. It's almost like they said "whoops, we have to pay that...and that...and that...nothing's left!" from all the charges I'm reading.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 13, 2015

• Locked thread