Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

doctorfrog posted:

This launches Steam without any browser functionality, and it disables a lot of functions, like updating and chat and whatnot.

This is what you want to use if you just want a bare-bones Steam launcher, to just launch games. Leave the Facebook crap for your browser.

"-noverifyfiles -nobootstrapupdate -skipinitialbootstrap -norepairfiles -overridepackageurl -silent"

So make a shortcut for Steam and add those to the end of the target for it, you can have another shortcut without those for when you want to launch Steam "normal".

Then to disable the automatic updating of the client make a config file "Steam.cfg" in your Steam directory with;

BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
BootStrapperForceSelfUpdate=disable

When you want to update the Steam client "manually", just rename/remove the config file temporarily to something like "Steam1.cfg" or whatever and run Steam, do update, put back .cfg file.

None of this impacts games from updating.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

You can trim steam down a bit (can't update or use big mode) by launching it with -no-browser. I use:

This launches Steam without any browser functionality, and it disables a lot of functions, like updating and chat and whatnot.

Im_Special posted:

This is what you want to use if you want for a bare-bone Steam launcher, to just launch games and play stuff. Leave Facebook crap for your browser.

See also the part where a background process with zero activity is essentially weightless for your system. The 7 steamwebhelper processes in my task manager have consumed a total of 32 seconds of CPU time. My music player (foobar2k) has used 4 minutes. I've never felt the music player was a huge drain on system resources, so a bunch of processes that have used 1/8th the CPU is not worth considering.

Even the memory is a complete non-factor -- if your system needs memory, a background process with no recent activity is the first thing that gets paged out to disk. You will never, ever, notice the difference.

Like, if you don't like steam's community & online stuff I got no quarrel. Personally I have the in-game overlay / browser turned off because I hate achievement crap (and in like 2-3 games it causes problems). But you can turn off that stuff without these measures. Disabling steam from getting client updates is a bad idea, because some of those updates are security related. Steam is an attack surface.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This brings to mind something I do which could very well be a placebo effect thing, but I swear that killing the Origin process and Your Phone process gives me slightly better performance in Steam games.

Like I said, it's probably a placebo, but it's one weird trick I still find myself doing.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This brings to mind something I do which could very well be a placebo effect thing, but I swear that killing the Origin process and Your Phone process gives me slightly better performance in Steam games.

Like I said, it's probably a placebo, but it's one weird trick I still find myself doing.

I'm way more ready to believe that Origin is somehow eating CPU time than that Steam is though.

Klyith posted:

See also the part where a background process with zero activity is essentially weightless for your system. The 7 steamwebhelper processes in my task manager have consumed a total of 32 seconds of CPU time. My music player (foobar2k) has used 4 minutes. I've never felt the music player was a huge drain on system resources, so a bunch of processes that have used 1/8th the CPU is not worth considering.

Even the memory is a complete non-factor -- if your system needs memory, a background process with no recent activity is the first thing that gets paged out to disk. You will never, ever, notice the difference.

Like, if you don't like steam's community & online stuff I got no quarrel. Personally I have the in-game overlay / browser turned off because I hate achievement crap (and in like 2-3 games it causes problems). But you can turn off that stuff without these measures. Disabling steam from getting client updates is a bad idea, because some of those updates are security related. Steam is an attack surface.

Quoting this because it's great, and accurate. People police their computers like it's 1998 sometimes, but there is diagnostic resources available to see exactly how troublesome something is.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Your computer doesn't need you to micromanage it anymore in general. It's a hard habit to break though for people that have been using Windows for 30 years.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I like control, I like privacy, and I like tweaking things. I hit the mother loving jackpot with Windows 10!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Eh it’s part of the hobby.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm way more ready to believe that Origin is somehow eating CPU time than that Steam is though.

Quoting this because it's great, and accurate. People police their computers like it's 1998 sometimes, but there is diagnostic resources available to see exactly how troublesome something is.

There are many other things besides just CPU & memory use that can potentially cause problems. Programs fighting over hardware access or whatever directx hooks, or just doing something that a GPU driver doesn't like, can impact end performance with no easy ways to trace. Like if having Origin loaded was actually causing problems with a steam game, my first guess would be that origin's overlay was fighting with steam's overlay or something. If that were the case it might not show any extra resource use -- just the 2 overlays standing in front of a frame, each waiting for the other one to draw first so it can be on-toppest. "You go first" "No, I insist, you go first." (This example totally made up.)

Whack performance problems for no apparent reason do happen.

OTOH these types of things are also very easy to get placebo'd or confirmation biased, so if you aren't measuring it with logging tools the default assumption should always be skepticism.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

I can't find a source right now but I believe that fix will only apply to monitors turning on and off within a few seconds of the computer going to sleep or waking up. If you manually turn just your screens off everything will still go wrong.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

There are many other things besides just CPU & memory use that can potentially cause problems. Programs fighting over hardware access or whatever directx hooks, or just doing something that a GPU driver doesn't like, can impact end performance with no easy ways to trace. Like if having Origin loaded was actually causing problems with a steam game, my first guess would be that origin's overlay was fighting with steam's overlay or something. If that were the case it might not show any extra resource use -- just the 2 overlays standing in front of a frame, each waiting for the other one to draw first so it can be on-toppest. "You go first" "No, I insist, you go first." (This example totally made up.)

Whack performance problems for no apparent reason do happen.

OTOH these types of things are also very easy to get placebo'd or confirmation biased, so if you aren't measuring it with logging tools the default assumption should always be skepticism.

Huh, that's a neat discussion.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dylan16807 posted:

I can't find a source right now but I believe that fix will only apply to monitors turning on and off within a few seconds of the computer going to sleep or waking up. If you manually turn just your screens off everything will still go wrong.

That source might be me arguing that understanding in this thread.
The RHPD is (Rapid Hot Plug) Detect, not Rapid (Hot Plug Detect). It's about an unplug and reattach event pair happening rapidly, and detecting that to avoid I'll effects.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

henpod posted:

Thanks for the effort reply :)

2 - Nope, even when I plug in my earphones, it stays as 'speakers'. There are no options for anything other than 'windows sonic for headphones' which doesn't seem to do much. I guess I will look for a third-party EQ somewhere.

4 - Yeah, this laptop has a few protection options, so that when it's plugged in, it'll not go above 70%, and not below 40%. I don't know if it bypasses the battery completely at 70% but it's a pretty good idea. Since I have it plugged in most of the time I guess this will preserve health well enough.

This worked! Things in my earphones are sounding fuller now and I can tweak poo poo. :) Thank you.
Check this out as well, works with equalizer APO
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/

Better than windows Sonic in my experience, no need for gamer branded headphones, I use some high dollar regular headphones and simulate 7.1 with the above link.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thank god. I'm sick of everything loving off when I switch my center monitor from work to personal PC.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Having trouble with my audio routing I guess? I have a rift S plugged in so I’m thinking this is where my issues lies but sometimes when I open discord it will pull the headset mic up instead of my desktop mic and I have to go into discord and set it to the right one. Other times I want to use the headset mic for discord chat. Also I want to mirror audio so everything plays through the headset speakers and my desktop speakers/headphones.

Basically it’s a pain in the rear end to use vr and discord at the same time.

Also I like to swap between my desktop speakers and headphones I plug into the front io panel on my pc. Usually it just works but sometimes I have to go in and pick the right output.

Any tips on how I can fix some of this?I have my desktop speakers and mic set to the windows default.

Stan Taylor fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 17, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Update 21H1 is officially released, phased rollout begins now. Gentlemen, pause your updates!

(Actually I don't expect this one to cause major problems -- it's a glorified patch tuesday with almost zero new features. The biggest structural change is that the installer / base package now uses chredge rather than old edge. I'd wait a week or two out of caution, but IMO putting this one of delay for months is not gonna be needed.)

vvv edit: oh, I guess it's just that legacy edge is completely removed now? I dunno the specifics of that very much as I don't use edge at all.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 19, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chredge being part of the installer has been the case since 20H2.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think this one is supposed to let you drag-n-drop the order of virtual desktops. As a single-screen-haver, that's kinda nice.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Windows, sometimes you are a fucker.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Klyith posted:

it's a glorified patch tuesday with almost zero new features.

To emphasize that, this version of windows is 19043, with the 19 meaning it's based on the development branch from 2019.

Effectively we're still on 20H1 (which was 19041).

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Did you actually get this to work? I haven't been able to do local networking since they started pushing OneDrive. Is it required that you have a Microsoft (instead of local) account?

sorry for the late reply, i did get the local networking to work. what step has been foiling you?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Klyith posted:

Update 21H1 is officially released, phased rollout begins now. Gentlemen, pause your updates!

(Actually I don't expect this one to cause major problems -- it's a glorified patch tuesday with almost zero new features. The biggest structural change is that the installer / base package now uses chredge rather than old edge. I'd wait a week or two out of caution, but IMO putting this one of delay for months is not gonna be needed.)

vvv edit: oh, I guess it's just that legacy edge is completely removed now? I dunno the specifics of that very much as I don't use edge at all.

I already installed it, and have noticed no changes at all.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
This has been surprisingly difficult to google, but what's the easiest way to password protect folders on Windows 10, 64 bit pro?

From the research I've done you can do this with Bitlocker but I don't need to go that excessive. Everyone in my home uses the same log in on the office computer, so it wouldn't solve my issue anyway.

I just want something where if I double click a particular folder, I will be asked to put in a password in order to be able to access it. Is there free software that does this?

I am not looking to keep the FBI out of my files or anything, just very basic rudimentary stuff is all I need.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blooster posted:

This has been surprisingly difficult to google, but what's the easiest way to password protect folders on Windows 10, 64 bit pro?

From the research I've done you can do this with Bitlocker but I don't need to go that excessive. Everyone in my home uses the same log in on the office computer, so it wouldn't solve my issue anyway.

I just want something where if I double click a particular folder, I will be asked to put in a password in order to be able to access it. Is there free software that does this?

I am not looking to keep the FBI out of my files or anything, just very basic rudimentary stuff is all I need.

You should be able to do this with VeraCrypt.
https://www.howtogeek.com/108501/the-how-to-geek-guide-to-getting-started-with-truecrypt/

I will say that I'd probably work towards everyone not using the same log in. It's a good idea for people to have their own log ins unless you have a really good reason not to.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Blooster posted:

I just want something where if I double click a particular folder, I will be asked to put in a password in order to be able to access it.

You can use bitlocker to encrypt a volume with a plain password, not tied to the user account. It has to be a whole volume (ie shows up in explorer as a "drive") rather than a folder.

The way you'd do this is:
1. right click on the start button and select Disk Management
2. in Disk Management, right click on the C: drive and choose "Shrink Volume" to free up some space. (Don't use the default number it fills in, because that's shrinking it as much as possible and will make your life miserable. If you'll need 5GB to store your pr0n, put in 5000.)
3. in the new Unallocated space you have, right click and choose new volume. Use the defaults through this. (NTFS, default allocation, quick format)
4. Now you can open bitlocker and turn on encryption for your new drive, with a password.

edit: actually it doesn't have to be a drive letter, you can mount the drive in a folder path so it will look like a normal folder. instructions

double edit: but yeah also IE is right, multiple accounts is a pretty good idea for people sharing the PC. Especially if you have kids. Put them on a normal user account instead of admin access so your PC doesn't get blasted by malware, because kids will do that.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 25, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
You can also bitlocker a .vhdx and you get a file that asks for password when doubleclicking.
Or if used on Home version then Veracrypt also can make a container file.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can't wait to see what sort of nothingburger this new vision of Windows is going to be. Even if they're holding a lot of things back, there's gotta be evidence of things in the existing builds on the fast ring. And so far no one spotted anything.

The only odd thing out is the even lighterweight version-independent Windows container stuff announced, which lends to finally virtualizing Win32, if you're really optimistic. Since people are speculating that they backported that poo poo from 10X.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
itll just be refreshed windows 10 with all the poo poo from 10X added in

I hear satya will change the name to just windows which sounds interesting

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I bet it's some sort of loving subscription based cloud OS that no one really wants.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have 3 keyboard settings in win10. For some reason at seemingly random times, windows adds a 4th US keyboard. It doesn't show up in the language panel with the other 3 so I can't remove it as one would the others. What's the deal?

Would kinda like to fix this because it messes up my workflow when I press Winkey+space and get a completely different language than expected.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Windows 11: we finally finished Windows 10

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That's a bug that has existed since Windows 8. I think actually installing that US keyboard then allows you to remove it. For a while anyway. There's no actual fix, as far as I know.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Don’t suppose anyone ever figures out why an older windows 10 update will kill any internet connection and force it into airplane mode?

It’s a desktop, connected by Ethernet. For fucks sake. But it’s even worse because it somehow has hosed things to require an internet connection just to log in to your own goddamn desktop.
:sigh: I really hate this modern era of software as a service.

Some of you may recall me complaining about this before. I’m at my grandparents now, rolling this drat patch for the Nth time. I think windows is on to me though, it’s erroring out on rolling it back lol.

Edit: spoke too soon, got it going after a restart. The batch file killing the update service on startup works for a couple weeks at a time.
God I wish I could just fix this poo poo. I really don’t want to recreate their work flow on a new system

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 4, 2021

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Get it on wifi and mark the connection as metered and it should gently caress completely off until you let it update manually.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Javid posted:

Get it on wifi and mark the connection as metered and it should gently caress completely off until you let it update manually.

Eh, this is the lowest tier of windows 10. I don’t think that is even an option.
Besides, I’d have to spend money getting this on WiFi.

Right now I have a batch file that runs on startup , killing the update service. It works for a couple weeks before I gotta roll it back. I’ve been trying to clear a little breathing room around me so I could build them a new computer, doesn’t need much. An email/Skype machine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Why do you need to kill updates on what sounds like an extremely basic home PC?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's a bug that has existed since Windows 8. I think actually installing that US keyboard then allows you to remove it. For a while anyway. There's no actual fix, as far as I know.

Thanks. Restarting a couple times fixed it this time around.

Getting some weird deja vu, think I may have asked the same exact question a year or two ago and got the same response :v:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Have you already tried making them a local user instead of a MS account?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Johnny Aztec posted:

Eh, this is the lowest tier of windows 10. I don’t think that is even an option.
Besides, I’d have to spend money getting this on WiFi.

Right now I have a batch file that runs on startup , killing the update service. It works for a couple weeks before I gotta roll it back. I’ve been trying to clear a little breathing room around me so I could build them a new computer, doesn’t need much. An email/Skype machine.

it might also be an option for wired connections? tbh I don't know since I use 0 of them these days. this will solve your problem forever if you actually want to do that instead of being mad in this thread every few weeks about it, good luck!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ehhh, I guess, in retrospec, I am just screaming into the void. I'm gonna put them a new system together, with a fresh 10 install.

Just get so frustrated with software issues where the basic option seems to be " Just flatten and re-install"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

the basic option is actually you just get them a chromebook based on what you said they were going to use it for, imho