Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hey I got a question about the virtual desktops or whatever they're called in Windows 10. It's a feature I'd like to use, in theory, but just don't know how (or even if has this functionality.)

I've got a few things that start up when I logon. Some startup by being scheduled tasks. Like I got throttlestop to start up as a minimized scheduled task that launches when I log on. I don't really need to interact with it, it just needs to be running and be something I can check out every now and then. Is there anyway to get stuff like that to start up on the second virtual desktop? Because that would really reduce clutter and make a lot of sense to me.

I'm also getting a few bluescreens on build 10586, they're "driver not less or equal" (or something) errors with netio.sys. Any ideas what would be causing that?

Also, I got all my desktop icons arranged but windows likes to be a bitch when a game switches my resolution or just randomly. Anyone know of any free solutions to "saving" my desktop layout that use very little cpu (I've got this thing about keeping my cpu as available as possible)? It's a big bitch because I have two monitors and some shortcuts are on the second monitor for a reason but then Windows just doesn't give a poo poo. It seems like such a simple thing that should just be a part of Windows, I asked some other people and they said Windows just doesn't do it because MS is dumb, and the solutions they gave me cost money (I'm not against paying for things, but this just seems so drat simple to me, like just a minor tweak, it feels weird to shell out $30 for something just so basic) and the solutions were by a company I remember way back that made software that was cool but I also remember was a giant memory/cpu hog. I don't need/want any extra features. I just wanna lock down my drat icons!!

Edit: For that matter, is there any good software out there for managing multiple displays. It seems like sometimes randomly I'll load up something small like the settings app, and windows will load it on my second monitor just randomly. Is there any program out there that will let me be like "this program should run on display 1, this one should run on display 2" and just some basic multiscreen management? I don't need or want anything too fancy here either, I tried out displayfusion but it seemed like it has too much bloat. It was messing with the taskbar on the second display which was causing problems when I'd run things fullscreen on the second display (which is basically everything) and their special magic display 2 taskbar would still be over whatever I was running. It was too much, I just want some simple, basic ways to manage what runs on what screen and stuff.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I had a problem that I just "fixed" (worked around) but, stuff is still probably broken I guess and I don't know what the hell could be the reason.

I was on a pretty old insider build for a while because updates would fail. Windows would get through the, I think, "preparing updates" or "configuring updates" part before it rebooted to install a new build. Then when it would reboot it would either get to the loading Windows circle thing then quickly shut down or throw me into the recovery menu. Then on the next boot it would restore my old version and boot like normal without updating.
I tried updating by just mounting an iso of a newer build and going through the setup, but that would fail. So I tried using the Windows 10 update assistant, would also fail. I figured this had something to do with my efi partition being messed up because there used to be a grub install on there. I tried many, many, many things here that would just take forever to go into.

Those last two attempts are long stories in and of themselves, but I don't think they matter much. Because eventually I decided I needed a reformat anyway so I took the 16193 iso, backed my stuff up, and from a usb drive reformatted the drive I have Windows on and the efi partition just to be sure, and reinstalled Windows.

This worked, everything seemed fine. But then I figured I'd update to 16199. So, from a fresh install on a newly formatted drive I let Windows update do its thing and then, same thing happened. Tried a couple times and the same thing every time. It would configure the update, reboot, and then fail. Tried with a different stick of ram and it was the same thing. Checked the disk for errors, and everything was fine. I got around this by letting it configure the update and then when it rebooted cutting the power to the computer before it could start up again, waiting a bit, and then booting it. I don't know how this worked but it would then get into the update, once it got to 75% it did a reboot and then failed to boot (once it started loading the computer just shut down.) When it rebooted it said it was "restoring my previous install" or whatever, but then it rebooted again and the update magically picked up. And it finished successfully and I'm now on 16199.

But, what the hell?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Do you own a computer that's set up with a US keyboard for some reason?

If I'm remembering right, Windows 10 is by default set up to synchronize a bunch of stuff between different computers you use the same Microsoft account on. Among the things it synchronizes are "Language Settings" which I think includes keyboard languages.

I've got the same problem. I own one computer with a Korean keyboard, so it's set up to type in Korean and English. But then my main computer only has an English keyboard, yet Windows still brings over Korean as an option.

But for me Korean shows up in the settings, so I don't know what you would do in your case. Just to make sure, you're looking for it in "Region & language" right?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Probably a bad idea and you'd be better off taking someone else's advice who actually knows what they're talking about, but your keyboard languages should be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\User Profile in the registry. I'm sure you could disable a language from there, but I can't give myself a keyboard layout that doesn't just show up in the normal settings so who knows if it will be there for you.

For what it's worth my keyboard is en-US but it still shows up as a layout I can remove.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you remove UK English?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ahh good, well then I don't know if this means anything but if it comes back I guess look into this.

I was messing around with my keyboard settings, I removed US English and installed UK English. Then I clicked on the 'English (United Kingdom)' language on the Region & language page and went into options and added a keyboard and picked a US keyboard. After I did that my Keyboard language menu looked exactly like yours.

So, maybe there was a US keyboard installed under UK English or Estonian? If it was there it wouldn't show up on the Region and Language page.

Looked like this for me

I don't know how that would happen but setting things that way at least reproduces your problem.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I didn't know I wanted that until right now. That's so perfect, I could finally shove all my games somewhere.

Shortpopup doesn't put them in a little bubble like that, right? Well, oh well, hopefully it gets updated.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bobfather posted:

Auto rebooting is a consequence of the update.

In other words, the only way to stop auto reboots is to also stop updates.

Well, since this is already turning into a shitstorm, the only way to stop auto reboots is to also stop updates on Windows.

But honestly, can someone give me a legitimate technical explanation of why Windows has to be rebooted for every drat update, and why other operating systems don't. And why Microsoft apparently doesn't care about changing whatever underlying reason reboots are required for everything? Silent, background updates that don't require a reboot would solve so many complaints. Don't act like the operating system rebooting while you're in the middle of important things isn't a flaw even if that flaw is there to solve bigger flaws.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Deviant posted:

windows can't restart at the component level for updates in flight because it's a lasagna of shame that probably has MS-DOS code in it to this day.

you poo poo updates to keep you from getting buttfucked by the latest 0-day.

loving. deal with it.

i have also literally never experienced the "losing production work" to a reboot as you describe, and i use this computer from 9a-9p pretty much every day of the week for business and then play.

Me neither man but I'm not on home and I think that's where people are running into problems? I don't know, but it's obviously a problem for people or they wouldn't be wasting their time bringing it up to begin with, no reason to get mad about how other people use their computers or the problems they have, this stuff might be serious for other people.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hey guys, I'm having some problems with, I think, Windows Update. I suspect I was screwing around with something and hosed it up myself, but then forgot that I did that. So there are many possibilities that are my fault and I take blame for that, but hopefully there's still a way to fix some of this bullshit.

I'm on Windows 10 pro x64, preview build 16215.

I was trying to enable developer mode today to install bash. However, when I do tick developer mode I get the message "Developer mode is turned on. However, remote deployment and Windows Device Portal couldn't be found in Windows Update, so they're not available. Error code 0x800f0950."

The tickers for Enable Device Portal and Device discovery on that page are also greyed out.

I also think I'm not getting any Windows Updates. I'm not sure now, I'm gonna go check the logs after I write this but I make a habit of manually checking for updates often, even though Windows does it on its own. And for a very long time I have not been getting any updates when I check. I thought at first automatic update was just being really good but now I don't know. The only update listed under "Installed update history" is the upgrade to this build of Windows 10. And that was back on the 9th.

I do have logs that say "Windows Update started downloading an update.", so that's good, but there's nothing else and I'm thinking maybe their should be. That seems to be it though, not that I know where to look.

So, any ideas? I've got everything else set up real nice so I would really rather not refresh or reformat if I have to. But I also really want bash, Windows update, and a generally working system as much as betas usually are I guess.

Edit: I've set some services to manual instead of automatic. I read about each one and followed one of those probably lovely "these services are ok to disable" guides on the Internet and thought I could skirt by without breaking anything. But it was long enough ago that I don't know which services or what guide. But if I had to guess, I hosed something up there.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 21, 2017

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

nielsm posted:

Important to remember those can just as well be app store stuff, if you have automatic updates enabled in Store.

As for your issue with getting WSL/Bash working, you don't need Device Portal or Device Discovery for that. You just need to make sure the Windows Subsystem for Linux feature is turned on through the classic Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off control panel, reboot, then type "bash" at a command prompt to set up your environment.

Well I had tried that out and rebooted and stuff, wasn't working. Then I removed it, rebooted, and tried installing it from an admin powershell hoping at least it might give me some more diagnostic info. Ran 'Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux' and it didn't tell me anything useful, just asked me to reboot, which I did. Get back into Windows, try to run bash from a command prompt and I still get;

"Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.
Distributions can be installed by visiting the Windows Store:
https://aka.ms/wslstore"

Which... what? I've done this before and don't remember installing a distro from the Windows Store. And even going to the store I cant find anything relevant. Also from what I can tell aka.ms seems to actually go to a legit Microsoft domain. It looked sketchy as hell to me and I thought "Still got virus problems or something?" but it seems right. Don't know why they used such a weird, shortened url.

And if I manage to get bash that's all good, but Windows Update giving those weird errors and maybe not even working at all I still definitely need to fix.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I ran the update troubleshooter, and it did apparently find things, these were my results;

And then I rebooted. But there still isn't anything in my update history (and it rebooted like normal, not like it was dealing with updates). And after the reboot I still get the same error when trying to turn on developer mode and checking for updates doesn't come up with anything. So, I guess those problems were just different unrelated problems :\

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

New Insider build, and it actually showed up in wu for me :) I was hoping that the update process might fix some of the weirdness going on in 16215 for me, but wu downloads it then fails with error 0x80240034 before I actually get in the rest of the install outside of my current build. :(

I wish there was just a database with even a single line description of error codes into English. Otherwise, what's the use? What way is there to decode them other than googling and hoping someone else knows?

(if there is a database like that please tell me, because it's never showed up in google.)

Edit: Ah never mind second time worked fine.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 22, 2017

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I swear I remember someone having this problem before, but I don't know if it was solved. Windows 10 pro, x64, build 16226. Whenever I start typing into Cortana I will type 3 or so characters and then suddenly the input will take one jump back to the left. And, obviously, that messes up my search. It doesn't happen in any other programs I've found so far, and wasn't happening until I updated to build 16226. Any ideas?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ah poo poo..

Well, I'm not using a touch keyboard. Just a normal laptop with a normal keyboard. No new drivers out there for my keyboard, but I'll look into it some more to make sure Windows didn't uninstall my normal keyboard drivers. Seems to matter less and less since search somehow drastically decreased the usefulness of my search results. It's not returning any results from the control panel anymore, usually just useless junk anyway.

Gonna have to find a new way to reliably and quickly pull up the Game Controllers programs.

Thanks though Actuarial Fables.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

BrainDance posted:

I swear I remember someone having this problem before, but I don't know if it was solved. Windows 10 pro, x64, build 16226. Whenever I start typing into Cortana I will type 3 or so characters and then suddenly the input will take one jump back to the left. And, obviously, that messes up my search. It doesn't happen in any other programs I've found so far, and wasn't happening until I updated to build 16226. Any ideas?

For what it matters this problem went away with an update to build 16232.

It wasn't listed as anything in the release notes, and since someone else had it on an earlier build but I didn't then, and then I got it later in a different build I'm guessing it wasn't something that was "fixed" in one build or another. Maybe it was just something that gets resolved randomly (or caused randomly) in the build update process. Who knows? Hope it doesn't come back!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Did anyone on the fast track Insider build have their machine take ages to update to build 16232? Usually it takes about 20 minutes to install and reboot after it's downloaded the new build, but this one took over an hour before it let me reboot. No performance problems other than that though.

Edit: Also, in the last few builds (this may be in the 1703 release too), my Night light doesn't turn itself off after the anointed hour, it stays on til I turn it off manually. Anyone else with this poo poo?

I noticed it took a long time installing the update while I was still in Windows Update. I didn't even know "installing update" (or some variation of that, the update is long passed and I didn't take screenshots or anything) even was a step in the update process before the first reboot until now. It slowed down drastically once it hit around 75% or so. It didn't overall take much longer in the end though, because after the reboot and going into the install it seemed like it went faster than normal. Maybe they do more before rebooting now to try to solve a lot of the "hangs on xx%" bugs people get?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any of those Ebay OEM Windows 7 key sellers that are known to be legit, or is it all shady?

Also, for the disability upgrade, is it just an on your honor thing? Or is that gone now too?

I got a Windows 10 pro key that way and it worked fine. I dont know if it's ok to post that stuff here though, but it's not like using a crack or anything if you got a legit key so I dunno.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

When I bought my pro key on ebay it was $3. I bought it thinking it was probably a scam, but the gamble was worth it because I could use pro over home.

Dude emailed me the key a few hours later and it activated fine. I feel like I stole Windows though :(

How exactly are people getting these keys anyway? I thought it was like an oem gets a billion keys, assign them to motherboards maybe, and then some motherboards end up broken and it's easier for the oem to just take it as a loss instead of getting the key assigned to another computer? Then some guy somehow gets them and the oem looks the other way? Just my guess though.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 5, 2017

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Anyone use MSI Afterburner and rivatuner and is on the insider builds?

Every time a build updates I have to reinstall the afterburner/rivatuner package because rivatuner starts giving me an error on startup. I know this is just the kind of thing to expect with beta builds, and I've just dealt with it for the most part (the reason I now even care enough to ask is because there have been so many new builds lately. Didn't one come out like only two days after the last?)

Does there happen to be a solution to this? A setting I'm missing that keeps it from dying between builds? I should have wrote down the exact error, but I'll get it next time there's a new build if it does it again.

Also, did someone mention something about cheap ebay Office key? Edit: nvm it was just as stupid simple as getting a Windows key.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 7, 2017

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I just wish there was a good way to integrate 3rd party software like that into the task bar :/

Just some way to replace that awful Windows search. I like being able to quickly just start typing from my task bar though and not have to load another program.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The group policy editor is pro only I think, that's a pretty useful tool. But I wouldn't have paid full price for just that.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Just to get this out of the way, I know why UAC is super important and I will never, ever disable it.

But, I was wondering if there is any way/3rd party tool I can use to disable the UAC prompt on some specific applications, or even just a single shortcut somewhere to an application?
I've got some programs that bring up the UAC prompt every time I launch them, things that have to be run as administrator and stuff. The programs never really change, and I'm always going to give it permission. Anything like that out there? It's no big deal, but if I can do it then it'd be nice to do it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

If Windows is taking too long to reboot, maybe look at all the stuff you got loading on boot? If something is making it take too long it will probably stick out.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Get Windows pro (see earlier in the thread for a bunch of talk about getting a legit key for like $3) and learn to use the Group Policy editor.

You can still break stuff pretty easily if you don't know what you're doing, but at least it's all easily reversible. Not like making some mysterious, cryptic registry edits to disable stuff. Group policy stuff can disable most junk or features you don't want (like Cortana) and change telemetry/error reporting (mostly) and other things if you're concerned about privacy.

As for cleaning out the junk that's already there, that depends on what the junk specifically is. Don't go cleaning your registry with any of the million registry cleaners out there, that doesn't really help poo poo and usually just breaks stuff. Even CCleaner, the one everyone recommends if they absolutely have to (picking the best turd out of a pile of poo poo) has a habit of somehow completely breaking Windows search.

I do like this one program, Winaero tweaker. 99% of windows tweaking programs are just bullshit and make stupid registry edits, but winaero tweaker has some neat little features I like that are kinda a hassle to do on my own so whatever. It makes it easy to disable Cortana, the action center, live tiles, web search, etc. etc.

fishmech posted:

Also protip: an ad-blocking hosts file is going to stop most of the "telemetry" stuff on its own.

Do you know of a specific list that does this? I have a pi-hole on my network, so you think adding a list with telemetry and stuff to it would stop it? Or you think Windows would just use another dns server somehow to get around it and send its own stuff out there?

I'm not worried too much about Windows telemetry, but if it doesn't hurt to block it then I would prefer to do it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Isn't fast startup the thing that makes it impossible to mount a partition Windows used if you go into another OS (or maybe just Linux?)

Pain in the rear end right there.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ccleaner does a lot of things fine, especially with that extra winapp2.ini. It's really useful for cleaning a bunch of things in one go instead of having to go into each program individually. And you can have it overwrite the data. Only free tool I know of that has the option to wipe things from the MFT too. Doesn't seem to break anything if you use it right (except that malware thing that just happened.)

But, a lot of the options can completely gently caress things up, especially search. There are a few things that if you "clean" suddenly searching for things in your start menu will never ever work again.

Basically my opinion is that CCleaner is a cool and useful tool but if you don't know exactly what you're telling it to clean but you click it anyway because it "sounds like something I'd wanna clean" you will break things and it will be your own fault for being dumb.

Someone said something a few pages back about icons vanishing after updating to the fall update. That kinda happened to me too, the icon for bash disappeared along with a few things in my start menu. I went looking for the bash icon and it wasn't in any of the places it should be. Like, the .ico file itself has vanished. Not a big deal I guess but what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Most of the O&O stuff is pretty harmless (and good, some of that stuff is dumb) but there are a few things that can break Windows update. It's no big deal though, just make sure you make a backup of your settings (the program itself will do that for you if you tell it to), turn it all back on when you wanna update. I guess that's kinda a feature to a lot of people.