Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 if my OS drive does not have enough free space to download the update?

My home server/HTPC has a 40GB SSD as the OS drive. The Windows 10 update says it needs 5GB of free space but I currently have < 1GB free. Windows\ currently takes up ~35GB, so there's not much I can do to free up more space (pagefile: 2GB, Users\: 2GB). I've tried using Disk Cleanup to get rid of old logs, windows updates and service pack downloads, but it hasn't resulted in much additional free space. I believe part of the issue is whenever any space is freed up, Windows Update immediately fills it will more of the Windows 10 download.

I have plenty of free space on my non-OS drives if that helps.

Just throwing this out there, but if your looking for a quick way to free up some space, give Wise Disk Cleaner a look, it's like CCleaner but seems way more "Hardcore", I ran it once, and it said it found something like 10+GB's of stuff to clean, I was to chickenshit to actually go along with it because it looked like a lot of system stuff such as WinSxS and other installer type stuff, I doubt it will break your computer but since you're going to install a new OS anyway I don't see much downside to cleaning out that stuff.

Okay now for my question, I'm finally planning to upgrade to Windows 10, from Windows 7, and I plan on buying a better SSD to go along with this upgrade also because why not, so I want to do a clean install. Thing is my W7 is OEM so I'm guessing that key will not work? I'm going to also guess that I just need to update my PC currently through Windows Update and have it register my PC, then once that's done just swap out my old SSD for the new one and do a clean install that way, right?

Also I'm a bit rusty on OS installs, so is there any quick list for dummies of firmware, drivers, other things, I should grab and put on a usb stick before doing the upgrade. OH and my system uses 2 hard drives a SSD for OS and another larger one for storage/games, is it still recommended to unplug my other drives that's not the main OS one when doing the install? Also I don't want to reformat my second one, so after the install will I be able to just plug it back in and have it just work as my second drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah I kinda figured, the last time I did this was for W7 when I built my PC, and back then it was always a good idea to grab a few things like network drives and Motherboard firmware... but this maybe was because it was a new PC build and not a OS update.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's weird there is so much conflicting answer to this out on the web, some say the key doesn't work for clean installs, others say it does, another says you need to make a phone call to MS and have them okay the key, etc.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Is there a fix for the DPI scaling in Windows 10? It's driving me crazy. Running at 100% is just to small for my resolution/eyes, 125% makes certain things blurry, which was never a problem in Windows 7.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
A quick google for "Windows 10 DPI blurry" shows this is a well known issue, apparently MS decided to use a different scaling method for Windows 10 instead of the one they've been using since Vista and later to better accommodate for tablets and phones, there is a registry tweak one can do to fix this bringing back the old Vista/7/8.1 scaling, but Windows 10 resets this change ever two reboots, thus a program is needed at startup to keep up with the change. There is this (google "windows 10 dpi fix" to get some xpexplorer.com site (linking the url for some reason doesn't parse here /shrug)), but I have not tired it yet.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
God, I just want to emphasis how lovely the Windows 10 search experience is, I am literally starring at the shortcuts to all my programs that are in my start menu folder, Search will pick up some but others seem to not even exist according to Search, it won't pick up my Steam shortcut for example (even going all apps > looking under the letter "S", it's not there), but I can click on it just fine to launch it. I've tried rebuilding the index cache but still no go.

Also in Control Panel > Programs and Features > then sort by "Installed On"

Is it just me or is this buggy, it shows that things are installed on "6/20/2016" which is today but in fact I installed these things weeks ago. (not my picture, but this is the problem I'm seeing)

And why is my Firefox icon grey (again, not my picture but exact same thing I'm seeing).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Classic Shell

Holy poo poo Microsoft is so stupid.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That looks like the exact same troubleshoot that is built into Windows 10. Control Panel > Indexing Options > Advance > Troubleshoot Indexing Options (or something like that).

Anyway it said everything was okay for me but my search is still retarded. Microsoft should just release a text file with that ninite link to that Classic Shell/Everything combo installer, there fixed.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Does anyone actually have a clean error free Event Log?

Clean installed Win10 on 3 different machines and they all show in the Event Viewer;

Event ID 10016 - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Arsten posted:

Take a good look through "Settings App -> Privacy" and be sure it suits you. Specifically, on the "Settings App -> Privacy -> Feedback & Diagnostics" set "Send your device data to Microsoft" to "Basic".

I would also turn off "App Suggestions" on the start menu, because it's annoying as hell to have random programs pop up there. That's at Settings App -> Personalization -> Start Menu and "Show Suggestions in Start"

Outside of those, a lot of Windows 10 is nice by default and changes come down to taste in how it functions.

Here is from MS own mouth what exactly is collected from all that telemetry stuff, it's also worth noting you can go into the registry and change "Basic" to even one lower then that to "Security", I'd recommend doing so otherwise it's constantly transmitting unique device identification numbers for your computers, details of all the hardware inside them and attached to them, and information about every program you ever use and exactly when you're using them, even after you put the privacy settings to the maximum that you can through the UI.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization

This is at the Basic level.

Basic device info, including: quality-related data, app compat, app usage data, and data from the Security level.
- General app data and app data for Internet Explorer add-ons. Includes a list of apps that are installed on a native or virtualized instance of the OS and whether these apps function correctly after an upgrade. This app data includes the app name, publisher, version, and basic details about which files have been blocked from usage.
- App usage data. Includes how an app is used, including how long an app is used for, when the app has focus, and when the app is started

I mean if Microsoft finds it helpful to know what's installed to help troubleshoot OS problems, fine, but knowing how much something is focused, that's kinda creepy.

quote:

Use Registry Editor to set the telemetry level
Use Registry Editor to manually set the registry level on each device in your organization, or write a script to edit the registry. If a management policy already exists, such as Group Policy or MDM, it will override this registry setting.

1. Open Registry Editor, and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection.
2. Right-click DataCollection, click New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
3. Type AllowTelemetry, and then press ENTER.
4. Double-click AllowTelemetry, set the desired value from the table above, and then click OK.
5. Click File > Export, and then save the file as a .reg file, such as C:\AllowTelemetry.reg. You can run this file from a script on each device in your organization.

Really anything that can be done with Group Policies, which Home Users do not get, can be done through the registry.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
How can I disable that Xbox game bar thing from running in games, did they really wall off the settings for this thing requiring an Xbox account to access... I want this thing off because I booted up Hearthstone for the first time since the update and to my surprise I get this huge CPU spike that seemed to hard lock my system up for what felt like 5 seconds, I'm going to assume it's this Xbox overlay, because Hearthstones not a CPU intensive game, and this has never happened before.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Dylan16807 posted:

Well that was fun. Windows 10 can get stuck in a situation where programs that have previously been pinned won't show up in all apps or search. Adding a shortcut to the start menu folder just makes it show up pinned again, not in all apps or search, and unpinning deletes the shortcut. You have to blow away the tile settings to fix it, and this requires either copying from a new user account or deleting the files and using voodoo commands to reinitialize all your apps.

I have exactly this problem, and I've never been able to figure out how to fix it, mind sharing your fix?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Dylan16807 posted:

First you need to delete your AppData\Local\TileDataLayer folder. This requires either logging in to another user, or stopping the State Repository Service.

Then you need to reconstruct it. Either copy the folder from another user, and you should be done, or re-login and you need to repopulate the start menu. It should find the normal shortcuts after a couple minutes, or you can move a file in the Start Menu folders to make those show up. Then to make apps show up you need to run the following in an admin powershell: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Searching some of those terms should find more detailed instructions of varying quality.

You could also try the start menu troubleshooter. It didn't sound like it did the right thing at the time I found it, but maybe it's capable of fixing the problem.

I mean thanks for the solution, but gently caress that noise. I'll just keep on using Classic Shell because it just werks. boot virus notwithstanding

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

The Evil Thing posted:

:argh: This bleeding "content update" has made a total mess of my computer. It seems like ALL my folder settings have been deleted. I've spent the last two hours reconfiguring document folders to display the correct columns in file explorer (and display them correctly), but now things are more or less as they were.

Eventually, though, I'll have to move on to my music library. I'm not looking forward to that--there's about 450 folders all told.

Guys, I'm at the end of my patience. Is there a way to configure a whole group of folders at once?

What they look like now:

What I want them to look like:

With the four columns having specific widths.

I've tried googling around, but I mostly get Windows 7 guides and identical guides which either don't work or are for a different problem.

450 folders, you lucky.

Anyway yes you can mass change folder types.

First you'll want to change any folder in your music directory to be "optimized" as "Music" (right click > properties > customize > music).
Then set that poo poo up how you want it.
Once you're set up and happy, while being in the same folder, basically your looking at your mp3's, go View > Folder options, > View > "Apply to Folders", and this will make all your music folders that were set to be "optimized" as music look how you set them up.

Boy I can't wait for when MS moves explorer to a metro thing...

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Doesn't this look amazing.

First screenshot of the new Windows Explorer app.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So Windows decided to make my Program Files (x86) folder display as if it were a music folder, and unlike my other Program Files folder it lacks the customize tab under folder properties so I can't change it, like wut. Anyone know how I can fix this weird thing.

Program Files optimized for "General" viewing, and how it should be .

Program Files (x86) as "Music" gross.

Missing Tab.

Program Files (x86) even has a different right click context menu...

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yay! Issues after the Creators Update, two of 'em.

First one is a "COM Surrogate has stopped working" error message. Happens every time I open my Start Menu

My Event Viewer also shows these when it happens, can't make sense of them though.

Second issue is just a "wondering if it's just me thing" about the Wireless Display Media Viewer app.

My icon for it is blank

And trying to load this app (I don't even know what it is, what is it?) is also blank

Should note that I'm on a desktop, wired, so anything "Wireless" does not really apply to my setup, is that why it's bugged maybe? Maybe related to the COM Surrogate issue?

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 12, 2017

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I don't know if this is a NVIDIA driver problem, graphics card problem, or Windows OS problem, but has anyone noticed that when you turn off your computer that the monitor/s blink for a quick second as they power off, with some scary looking scramble of colors as if the card needs a RMA.

I use a GTX 1060 running the latest drivers, I never noticed with until after I did the Creators Update.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My internet works fine, but somethin' ain't right here.

Do you use a 3rd party Firewall like from Comodo? It's a known issue with them.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Aaaaand got my first ever BSOD! So generic too! It's a little too convenient that it happened so close after updating to the latest Creators Update, no changes on my side like radical driver or hardware changes either... Haven't happened since either. Also I think what I was doing when it happened was just coping some files from one explorer window to another.

Any Ideas? (This might be outta place and not the thread to discus this, I don't want to turn this into some huge tech support derail. Sorry)

==================================================
Dump File : 042117-5734-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2017-04-21 1:46:04 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : ffffa656`31a0af83
Parameter 3 : ffff9481`17c6ad10
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : win32kfull.sys
Caused By Address : win32kfull.sys+9af83
File Description : Full/Desktop Win32k Kernel Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 10.0.15063.138 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+16bf70
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042117-5734-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 15063
Dump File Size : 682,236
Dump File Time : 2017-04-21 1:46:34 PM
==================================================

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 23, 2017

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

redeyes posted:

Off hand I'd blame RAMS.

This is my only guess as well, does RAM just one day go bad though?

Anyway, I've heard of MemTest86 before but never actually used it, do I just grab the latest version (MemTest86 v7.3 free edition) put it on a USB, then boot from it and let it run overnight to check for errors?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Junior Jr. posted:

Please please PLEASE tell me there's some software I can download to remove (most, if not all) the new privacy invading crap on the Creators Update. Microsoft are seriously taking this too far with tracking my location and IP, and now knowing which EXACT FILES I'm running.

This poo poo just makes me want to switch to Ubuntu instead.

Try this, https://fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1703.frag

Though I would probably just disable the services and not straight up delete them like the guide says. Then again you can't really screw up Windows 10 anymore. So whatever.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Guessing he used a symbolic link/junction point.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

SinineSiil posted:

I can't even reinstall graphics drivers without Windows reinstalling whatever version it has in the middle of it. How do I turn off the automatic driver installs? I have W10 Pro. I'd also like to disable it on my second computer to perhaps finally get audio working, but it has Home edition.

Try right clicking on "My Computer" > "Advanced System Settings" > "Hardware Tab" > "Device Installation Settings" > "gently caress Off" "No (Your device might not work as expected)"

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

xamphear posted:

This doesn't do what you think it does.

Then what does it do?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So, is my System hosed here? I just noticed that there is no "(x86)" in the name of my second Program Files folder...

I just noticed this now, so I'm not sure if this happened days ago or literally today, but I'm going to assume it happened very recently because its really eye catching for me so I doubt it'd go uncatched for very long, is there something I can do to bring the "(x86)" part back?

Should note that everything still seems to be working, like programs that are installed in the (x86) folder work, and shortcuts that point to them such as "C:\Program Files (x86)\ProgramXYZ\ProgramXYZ.exe"

EDIT: Okay cool, turns out the cause was that tiny little hidden desktop.ini file that resides in the (x86) folder causing this display name issue, apparently you can have desktop.ini's rename things to anything you want, neat, good way to mess with people too.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 30, 2017

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That's exactly what MCT is, a reinstall of the OS, you use that if you want to do a clean install.

If you just want to update to the latest, you have two options, at 10AM PST, hit the "Check for updates" button in your settings window, and if it picks the update up, you're good to go. If not because MS likes to do staged roll outs, you'll have to download the update tool and update through that.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/get-windows-10-fall-creators-update/
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 17, 2017

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I posted this in the SSD thread, but maybe its more Windows 10 related...

Okay so the story goes, I updated to Windows 10 Fall Creators Updat this afternoon, and now I have these two new entries in the "Optimize Drives" window, any idea what these are? Recovery and that weird \\?\Volume.... are the new ones, any ideas? You guys get the same thing?

Nothing shows in the Disk Management window either...

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Alright thanks you guys, I'll worry less since it seems to be normal, they're just new and happened from the Update today, so I was just wondering.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah one of the first things you do with Windows 10 updates is disable the hibernate file and turn off fast startup, it does what? Saves you maybe 2 seconds for fresh boots on a SSD, but at the cost of writing a ton to the SSD + longer shutdowns, and as the above poster said it can cause issues with "things" that require reboots because your PC isn't really doing a proper reboot. Plus you get a ton of SSD space back.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That's nice, I was simply listing pros and cons of using fast startup, by all means write the poo poo out of your SSD.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
There are a few ways to disable fast startup;

go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power and create a DWORD value named HiberbootEnabled (if not already there), and set it to 0.

or

Go to Control Panel.
Click Power Options.
Click Choose what the power buttons do.
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup. (for me, this isn't there, but that might be because I don't have a hibernation file.)
Click Save changes.

or

Open Run/Command Prompt as Administrator -> enter "powercfg -h off"

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Mine does too, guess I'll leave it off.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
3D Object talk, you guys should check out Winaero Tweaker, you can use it to remove all that junk shown in Explorer, and also clean up your Context Menu with it like "3D Print with 3D Builder" / "Cast to Device ("Play to")" etc. (Who uses those?)

https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

It hasn't seen an update since the Creators update so maybe some settings don't work, but everything I tweaked prior to the update carried over and I was able to remove the 3D Object stuff post update. Everything it does are just registry changes with an easy to use GUI like that ghacks article lays out.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

GreenNight posted:

Do you have to run this per user, or does the settings apply to all user accounts and new user accounts?

No idea, I only ever have and use one account, I'd imagine it's system wide though, so all accounts apply.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Checked mine and this is what it looks like, I'd assume it's at default settings, also I like how the text is cut off.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say third party Anti-Virus was the cause.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

brylcreem posted:

I don't have one. I have CCleaner though, and the first freeze happened while I was running a clean.

Well this makes it pretty obvious then... it's your hibernation file.

CCleaner is fine

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm just on whatever side your not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.