Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

be nice wicka posted:

Who the gently caress made this OS?
A committee of committees, 1000 focus groups, and a zillion contractors that don't give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

After I lock the screen with Win-L, sometimes I will come back and I can unlock the system with just the keyboard. -- I hit shift and the monitor comes on, then I type the password. But other times, there is no response to the keyboard, and I have to click with the mouse somewhere on the screen. Then I can type the password. I would like to be able to unlock the system without clicking the mouse half the time.

Am I correct in thinking this is just the way it is and can't be fixed?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Do you have a two-monitor setup? because I find I have to move my mouse cursor over the the monitor displaying the lock screen for it to work.

No, not currently.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there something wrong with my Calculator app? Half the time it opens behind all the other windows, and even when it's the active window, 95% of the time I have to actively click the number display before it recognises me typing anything on my keyboard. It's the one app that I expect to be really snappy, since I only need to use it for like five seconds at a time, and it's anything but.

Pretty sure Microsoft is just incompetent.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Hadlock posted:

In win 8.1 when coming back from suspend, you could open the time/picture screen to enter your password by just pushing <enter> or the up arrow. Has that been disabled for Win 10? I can't figure out an easy one key keystroke to do that anymore.

There was some discussion of this like a week ago in the thread. Sometimes you can hit a key and it works, sometimes you have to click the mouse. It acts like the lock screen doesn't have focus sometimes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Just saw "All your files are exactly where you left them" for the first time. WTF microsoft, why are you so bad at this?

e: oh and apparently this means they get to advertise office 365 to me again.

I really hated microsoft and how much of my time they wasted in the Win95-Win2k era, but I was starting to warm up to them again after Win7 was pretty trouble-free. Welpp

taqueso fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 12, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

taqueso posted:

Just saw "All your files are exactly where you left them" for the first time. WTF microsoft, why are you so bad at this?

It also reset my default browser, how can they get away with that in EU?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

GreenNight posted:

That's bullshit. Save your work. The power can go out too. If you're in the middle of something, you can choose to postpone the update.

That's bullshit. I have a UPS and expect my desktop to continue functioning, even if I'm away.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

GreenNight posted:

You should re-adjust your expectations.

I think I'll adjust my OS away from Windows.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Rahul posted:

Has anyone had any issues with the latest windows 10 update bricking their hard drive? Mine was updating this morning, and after reaching around 25% the computer seemed to lose the hard drive and can no longer boot. It's not showing up in bios either.
Does anyone know if this is a known issue?

Seems very unlikely that Windows did that, probably just a coincidence.

It is difficult for software to brick your HDD even if it wanted to.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I upgraded a Win7 machine to Win10. Now I have no network access. This PC has 3 Ethernet ports and they are all acting the same - when I try to diagnose the connection, it says 'local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration'.

The network was working fine before Windows 10 and works if I boot from an Ubuntu livecd.

Thanks for any advice.

Possibly relevant - virtual box is installed but the bridge networks seem to have been removed during the upgrade.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

isndl posted:

I think I remember seeing something before about incorrect network drivers being used post-upgrade. Try downloading correct ones on another machine and transferring them over.

Intel says the adapter has 'in-box' support only, which I think means the only drivers come from Microsoft.

E: found drivers for the onboard realtek, will try in a moment

e2: no change

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 21, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

taqueso posted:

Intel says the adapter has 'in-box' support only, which I think means the only drivers come from Microsoft.

E: found drivers for the onboard realtek, will try in a moment

e2: no change

Tried a bunch of troubleshooting from the internet, couldn't get anything to work. Most of the "reset winsock catalog" type commands gave me more errors.

I just rolled back to Win7 and everything seems to be OK. I'll try a fresh install of 10 when I have more time to play around.

I like that Microsoft is immediately suggesting I Get Windows 10 now that I'm back in 7.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Except when it refuses to index an application for whatever unexplainable reason. Steam? Fine. GitKraken? Nope can't find it. Discord? Yes sir. Mumble? Can't find it.

This is exactly why I switched to classic shell. I was willing to give the native start menu a chance, but it failed the test.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The Goatfather posted:

are you retarded because i can search for things that are pinned to the start menu and taskbar

i literally havent searched through the list manually since the windows 7 release candidates, it always works and has always worked, and ive got poo poo pinned all over the place.

There are some entries that just don't ever show up when searching :iiam:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

How does the Win10 license-hardware link work with a virtual machine? Do I need a different license for each VM/type of VM(say KVM vs virtualbox) or just one for the mobo?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

A lovely Reporter posted:

It happened during an attempted file restore. It locked up, turned itself off, then wouldn't power on again.

Edit: What's EFI?

Edit 2: Also it kept crashing after the update to 10. Took 15 minutes to start up, and File Explorer kept throwing errors during normal use.

Won't power on again isn't likely to be the fault of software. Is it actually powering on but not booting? There isn't much hope for your backup saving the day if it really won't turn on.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'm sure the backup is fine, I just meant it probably wouldn't be able to bring your computer back to life. Try taking the battery out of the laptop, unplugging it, and letting it sit for a few minutes, then try powering it up. It's possible the firmware that handles power on/off is in some kind of bad place and it won't reset until power is really removed.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I think Classic Shell just uses Windows Search's engine, though with a better presentation. Everything actually finds everything.

Not sure what it uses under the hood, but it manages to find things the win10 start menu can't.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

xamphear posted:

Yeah, with SSD speeds these days, the tool might as well just initiate a reboot. Shouldn't take longer than a minute!

Hell, they could just have the OS restart on it's own every so often to make sure. oh..

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Aquila posted:

So I am building a decent gaming PC for my nephew out of leftover computer parts I have and so I guess I need a Windows 10 license for it. Is there anyway to get the free Windows 10 upgrade for this system? Since I am using my windows license on my current system I don't have anything I could apply to the upgrade.

People have been posting about getting win7 keys from kinguin.net

I had my coworker get one there and everything went fine.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

"If we can load enough crapware into chrome, people will come back to our browser, right?"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is there a way to get the creator's update without being in the insiders program?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

fishmech posted:

The download tool on the Microsoft official page is updated to get the Creators Update already https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Maybe you are more sensitive to noticing anything that mentions women in STEM right now?