Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Hey I'm glad you went through with this In Training, Haruhi's maybe my favorite show and usually gets interesting reactions from people

I don't think it's overhyped, overrated, or any less complex than it's most ardent evangelists claim

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Something to keep in mind for all 'serious haruhi watchers' - who is the author? Most important works of film/tv postmodernism, from Hitchcock to Evangelion fit the auteur theory in some way or another, but Haruhi is unusual in that it's a stylistically coherent work of the strongest order without any single dominant voice behind it, to my knowledge.

In other words

Keep this in mind, because it's constantly reflected in the plot. There are lots of shows without an 'author,' but I don't know any that manage Haruhi's level of consistency and self consciousness.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 15, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

A big reason to insist on broadcast order is that it forces even the dimmest people (myself included) to think hard about narrative structure, and how the order of events change the meaning not only of everything that follows but everything prior. This idea is baked into every level of the show, and it's tasty.

When I watched it a second and third time I tried making up my own episode orders to deliberately change the meaning of things we can't talk about yet, and sure enough it works well. Everything in Haruhi is in a state of ambiguity, and experiencing it chronologically, while fine, just isn't the most fun, or, as Haruhi would say, the most interesting way to do it.

It's a seriously modular show, and definitely by design, but I think they put a lot of thought into the broadcast order. I am convinced every episode matters and there is no filler. Orthodox Haruhism or nothing, imo

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 14, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I just wanted to let you all know, in advance, that every morning I wake up and open palm slam a vhs into the slot. its hare hare yukai and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character, yuki nagato, and so on

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

yuki is the main character in my nightmares

I envy you

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

CrazySalamander posted:

I actually enjoyed The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato better than Haruhi, because it had less Haruhi, who I always found annoying. I watched Haruhi for the characters that weren't her. She was grating and annoying but the other characters made it worth it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I mean look, Haruhi is a show where the structure matters a lot, and the form informs the feeling. There's lots of reasons to love the show and I think its structural sophistication is a good one. That's gonna sound silly if you think it's all big budget waifu nonsense, but if you think that then you haven't watched or haven't watched closely.

But I admit I really have no idea how it works, only that I can see it working, and so can a lot of other fans.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 15, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

same

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Hey anyone read Hyperion? Does it have much to do with the show?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Maybe we should put Haruhi-chan on the agenda. Just saying, it's a classic in its own right, and not that long.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I need to watch that ONA again, from what I remember it's highs were never as good as Haruhi-chan but it was more consistent

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Davincie posted:

it was.. uhh lets say very cheap

Yeah but I remember liking that about it, or at least not minding it. Maybe I'll check it out again this weekend

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

littleorv posted:

CST is the only real time.

give my regards to the big country

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yo 5PM PST represent, just don't commute-post

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Namtab posted:

What will win, my love of anime or my love of being a good nurse

no man should die for an anime. but for this anime... maybe...

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

for anyone looking for some background material before we get going I recommend https://www.gutenberg.org/files/18269/18269-h/18269-h.htm#SECTION_II and/or http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Always-Wanted-Afraid-Hitchcock/dp/0860915921

I have an uncle who works at kyoani and he tells me their adaptation was heavily influenced by Pascal and Lacan, and anyway they are pretty legit:

He who does not see the vanity of the world is himself very vain. Indeed who do not see it but youths who are absorbed in fame, diversion, and the thought of the future? But take away diversion, and you will see them dried up with weariness. They feel then their nothingness without knowing it; for it is indeed to be unhappy to be in insufferable sadness as soon as we are reduced to thinking of self, and have no diversion.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 16, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

The Colonel posted:

You've gone too far this time.

we'll see!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

I wonder how Kyon got that higher-angle shot of the school roof at the beginning of Yuki and Mikuru's climactic battle.

this has bothered me for years

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

Taniguchi seems like the type of guy that would have one of those drones. he helped them get that shot for the film but then he accidentally crashed the drone through a window on the upper floor of the school and got in trouble.

canon

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

thank you in training

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

what a time to be alive

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Satoru Kōsaki was the composer for Haruhi and Lucky Star and some other stuff and I think he's really good and should be mentioned

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yay

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 18, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I was gonna say best frames of the show so far but then, if you include the ED, and looking back at some of the other gifs, it's like gently caress, this show is so good

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

I wish I was better at making gifs because I can only use free software that screws up all the colors and I feel like I'm doing the show a disservice.

you're doing great! but admittedly nothing will ever be enough

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

.jpg posted:

I noticed that too, though I think the desks might be cg and the lighting done in post. Even so, it's still a level of dedication you don't see very often.

no doubt there's a ton of post work when it comes to the lighting, but I think it's in good taste, and it just feeds my conviction that kyoani has a godlike understanding of space and how to have fun turning space into 2d

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the only really tasteless cg desks I can remember will be coming up later in the melancholy arc, (and even then the blocking and composition is great) - y'all might remember what I'm talking about, it's one of the things people point to as "so 2006" or whatever, but there might be more awkward cg desks I've intentionally forgotten because of severe bias

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 18, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

There's some CGI zooms here and there but I think I know what you're talking about. the particularly egregious CGI is used well though, since (later Melancholy spoilers) its used for alien super powers. Really heightens the sense of confusion and bewilderment. I know it was likely a cost-saving measure at its core but they make still manage to make it thematically cohesive
no that stuff is great, it's really stylized and cool and some of my favorite moments of the arc. same episode, I'm talking specifically about just one shot of hybrid 3d animation during the the post fight desk reorientation which strikes me every single time as unusually ugly. nitpick I know but I'm like you in that I think everything in the show is perfect - and my reaction sometimes is to attack the little things they didn't have time to smooth over because they were probably being worked like slaves and it's a tv show for crying out loud,

maybe it's not as well known as I thought but I bet we'll see it come up in this thread when we get to the proper episode

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 18, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

If you've (tried to) read the light novels, you know Kyon's narrative voice is one of the biggest improvements of the adaptation. Or maybe the translation is just lovely I dunno but he's so uncool in the LNs

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

Supplementary viewing: Season 2 of Symphogear features another character voiced by Sugita Tomokazu (Kyon) dealing with (Haruhi episode BroadcastOrder 4-5 major spoiler) another high school girl with ridiculous levels of apparent power and reacting very differently. Is it worth 10 hours of your time watching s1 and s2 for the sake of maybe a total of 45 minutes of Sugita Tomokazu if you aren't otherwise interested in Symphogear? Probably not, but it's something I found interesting while watching it.

meanwhile supplementary reading: The World as Will and Idea, all of the pages

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

anyone who owns haruhi merch should post it, there is no shame and now is the time

only thing I ever owned was the first light novel which I thrifted after getting halfway through and realizing it wasn't worth hurting myself for the sake of anime research. great drawings though.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 19, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

Not technically an emptyquote.

you can empty quote bro this is a safe space, especially for a righteous cause

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I find :effort: to be the cause of all long standing avatars.

yeah man you're an og in my eyes

but yeah effort and dollars (another thing haruhi is "all about")

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

every shot of her breasts

yes alec, I'll take 'things that are good about mikuru' for 100

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Uh huh....so...Nagato's an alien.

I'd gathered the basics of what's up with Haruhi via osmosis, but I didn't see that coming about Nagato.

:)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the score is good, I'm tellin ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

So Kyon knows about the weirdness then. Wish he'd share with us.

kyon doesn't even know about his internal weirdness, much less what's actually happening around him. he's cool :)

• Locked thread