Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Six Years Ago posted:

As for Ep 15: .................gently caress

No, no, they didn't, they couldn't have...

quote:

Jesus Christ you're loving kidding me. :psyduck:

quote:

Skimmed through the episode, most stuff seems the same aside from some scenes taking less time, different clothing/hairstyles, and watching a movie. Goddammit.
(Someone then helpfully corrects him that they went to see a movie in E8-1.)

quote:

I think that the next logical step would be for Kyoani to simply broadcast a still shot of goatse for 25 minutes in Haruhi's timeslot. I wonder how many DVDs of that would get bought.

quote:

I don't know why we're spoilering this tbh but what the hey It needs to be 13 episodes. Seriously at this point they need to make every remaining new episode an Endless Eight ep. They've had three years to plan S2, if I were them that's exactly how I'd do it, then release a legitimate season in the Fall. They've only taken up two stories worth of space so far, so there's plenty material for a third season left.

quote:

Maybe this is like Season 1.5? It's just a big tease getting up really pumped for the real season 2 which will be in three years

SIX AND COUNTING :(

quote:

This isn't really clever or funny anymore.

Also around this time is when various conspiracy theories start getting posted about Kadokowa, Kyoani, sponsors, and the director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Can we start 5 at :45 just to make sure we're in sync?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Agronox posted:

Can we start 5 at :45 just to make sure we're in sync?

Ah gently caress it, it's a marathon never mind

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I seriously can't get over how much I appreciate Agronox's work here.

Thanks. I only started watching the animes over the past year or two and this was one of the first things I saw (based on my memories of how SA lost its poo poo over the show), so it is still one of my favorites.

So, let's have some translated reactions from Japanese fans as of the beginning of this ep:

Six Years Ago posted:

>This is terrible

>Well I got my laugh

>Give me a break already. Are you trying to destroy the spirit of the audience

>It's Enough. It's unpleasant to look at

>I was calm about the three-year wait

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Six Years Ago posted:

I wish you guys would stop looking at this as a money making scheme. KyoAni could have made tons of money by reanimating the original series, or making Lucky Star crossovers. Endless Eight is a brilliant work of art. It will be forever remembered as the greatest troll in anime history.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Because I am dumb I did not notice on my first watch just how miserable Nagato starts to look as these go on.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
After 5.

Six Years Ago posted:

Welp. gently caress this show. I'm out.

quote:

I guess I will just avoid this episode and move on, just waiting until the next actual episode gets released. I'm amazed they went this far, I was sure that last one would be it but.. then we get another and rumor of even more. If this next episode isn't it then I'll... just wait for the next one after that. Haruhi's a good show and it's a shame KyoAni is going this far to seemingly either alienate their fanbase or they really think this is hilarious. I'll still be waiting, but I am bitter about this.

quote:

I feel like an abused wife at this point. Oh well, there's always next week's episode...

quote:

Pretty masterful troll. People loved the first series, waited patiently for what? A year and a half for some new episodes and they decide to remake the same episode 5 times, very nice.

It's a shame though. This could have been resolved in a single episode, 2 is probably a better choice, the initial ep then you get the twist halfway through the second when you're wondering what the hell is going on, additional repetitions add absolutely nothing whatsoever though.

quote:

This thread is getting to be like endless eight

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

Alright 6 is a good low time to ask some Q's. How is everyone feeling? Did you like that awesome clock shot? When is everyone available to watch Sigh? Anybody got some good Mario Maker levels to share? Does anybody want to read my writing about live action Japanese movies that I've done in my spare time? What's been your favorite episode so far?

Everything is blending together. I'm perfectly sober and I'm starting to get confused. I think Sigh should be two days instead of one. I've watched the end of this arc probably 15 times but this is the second time I'm watching all the episodes. I'm tired.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
hahaha people are feigning power outages now to drop out.

Sorry guys there's a tornado gotta go

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Oh wait. There was also a big rumor at the time that E8 was going to end with six episodes.

From Six Years Ago posted:

I'm going to kill myself.

quote:

Same here

quote:

If the season ends with Disappearance, I will be happy. I'll forgive all this Endless Eight stuff and it will actually go nicely with Disappearance to explain why Yuki acted the way she did, but if the rumors I'm hearing are true, and it doesn't, I will be very, very disappointed. My impotent nerd rage will be off the charts.

quote:

The only thing KyoAni can do to make themselves even more awesome right now is to announce a Haruhi film trilogy, to be released in cinemas at a premium ticket-price a couple of weeks apart, and all of them turn out to be Endless Eight loops.

quote:

I was so sure it was going to end.

Six episodes. That is all...

I'm out. Call me when the resolution episode airs...

quote:

I was just thinking, if there's twelve, and the fourteen new episodes total is accurate, that's one non-E8 episode on both ends, like two pieces of tasty bread in the tallest troll sandwich you've ever eaten. Concluding the story when August ends would work just as well for some silly justification to stop at 12, so either way.

quote:

gently caress you, Haruhi, gently caress you... (I still love you please don't hurt me)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Whoa

Six Years Ago posted:

We should all probably face the fact that this is probably going to be one of the defining moments in anime history that will end up being the litmus test for a true anime fan, akin to meeting someone who avidly watches Bleach or Naruto filler and can tell you about the intricacies of each episode. This will be such an experience. People five years down the line will be nerding out about the subtle nuances of each episode of the EE run and the philosophical underpinnings thereof.

This whole uproar will be regarded as the death cries for anime posers who only thought they were hardcore Haruhi fans.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
By the end of 7 a sort of weary cynicism sets in where people are largely past the point of even complaining.

Six Years Ago posted:

I love this thread because I get to watch this show's fans suffer.

quote:

Spoiling Endless Eight is an act of mercy.

quote:

The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi is probably going to be the finale of season two, and it contains what I would call the biggest surprise since Haruhi's omnipotence.

quote:

I can't imagine how anyone could possibly have a gently caress left to give about how they get out at this point, especially considering how mundane the solution is.

quote:

I mean, it has to end next time, right?

Right?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Six Years Ago, by someone who still has a Nagato avatar posted:

So are you guys also ashamed to have a Haruhi avatar at this point?

Reply from someone who still has a Live Alive avatar posted:

A little. I still like the original series, but I'm considering what my next avatar will be now.

It's nice that they didn't give up. :)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

NotALizardman posted:

I just realized we've never seen Kyon's face when Koizumi says that he'll say it instead, have we?

We see enough of his body language in 6 (and other eps) to tell that he's not quite pleased.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Home stretch...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
These are some of my favorite five minutes in the series coming up...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

From Six Years Ago posted:

Just finished the live stream and:

Homework was done! Endless Eight has ended!

quote:

Of course it's over.

Countdown to Endless Eight episode 9, T-7 days.

quote:

It's like a horror movie. Someone thinks he has killed the monster and then it simply gets up and eats him.

quote:

We're all going to wake up tomorrow and its 8 weeks ago.

quote:

Say what you will about the arc, but at least they had a nice ending.

quote:

That is some inspiring music.

quote:

God drat it, given the excellent way this episode ended I sort of want to forgive them for this.

quote:

That ending was pretty spectacular. I don't believe I've ever seen Kyon that uppity and I loved every minute of it.

quote:

The ending was pretty well done I think, it just makes me sad to think this could've been a very enjoyable 2-3 episode arc, instead of the abomination it turned out to be.

quote:

Kyoani only did this because they love us.

And I think this might be my favorite (no one knew the schedule yet):

quote:

Next up, 5 episodes of Sighs.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ChubbyThePhat posted:

God that last one was a goddamn dagger

Actually burst out laughing at that one.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Theory: It didn't have to be homework, Haruhi just wanted someone to be enthusiastic about what they were doing and willing to take on a little leadership (possible foreshadowing when she's willing to give up being chief for a day during the cicada grab).

Thoughts? I don't know, maybe it gets into it more in the LN but if it had to be homework, geez.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Okay, my final thought on this: it was a lot better the second time through, and I give the studio a TON of credit for the audacity of doing what they did here by risking the entire fanbase of a big moneymaker of a show, but I still think 4-5 episodes would've been better.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Allarion posted:

There's an interesting mirror between Haruhi and Kyon's character development that I've wanted to mention. With Haruhi, it's a movement towards accepting and embracing the mundane, for all its little joys and accomplishments, which ultimately caps off with Live Alive. Kyon heads in the complete opposite direction as fantastic events keep happening to him even though he supposedly wants a normal life.

That's a really good point.

Anyway, this was an interesting way to spend a Friday evening. Unusual but fun.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Linnaeus posted:

was it ever decided when we would watch sigh?

we're still waiting for hangovers to wear off and power to be restored

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I'd be watching, but I'm at work right now :(

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Sweet GIFs!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, I didn't read any of the books but he always seemed okay to me. Maybe a little weary. If anything, he's part of what seems like the most selfless of the factions, because who knows what the eventual goals of the data entity or time travelers are, but it seems like the ESP guys only have the power to fight in closed space, which is going to be pretty useless most of the time.

Apart from Haruhi, Kyon might suffer the least of the five.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Amorphous Blob posted:

I really like that you guys are doing this.

I do too, it's been fun. I look forward to the Eva one. It'll be new to me (though I guess I know a lot of the plot just from osmosis).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Never a lot of love for Taniguchi and Kunikida

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Grabbing onto Kyon is probably not the best way to get her to ease up there Mikuru

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
:D SHAMISEN :D

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Also also, why can't Mikuru tell Koizumi about her theory?

classified information

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I still don't understand why they put this scene here

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

From Episode 00. Knowing whats happened since, this simple shot speaks volumes. Actually, for anyone who has time before Disappearance I would suggest giving Episode 00 and Someday in the Rain a rewatch, before the grand finale.

Whoa. Perfect shot right from the very beginning and I completely whiffed on it. That's fantastic.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Right, Kyon?!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Linnaeus posted:

here's an album of the pics so far

http://imgur.com/a/UIBc7

You are the best!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

For those new folks wondering, the recent spin off series starts here and Kyon says No, completely flying in the face of well, everything that makes the show interesting and worthwhile.

Eh, it's not all garbage, it's just mediocre. But one thing I did enjoy--minor spoilers about the characters here--is how the entire dynamic changes as Asakura is a full member of the Literature club and Tsuruya is pretty much Mikuru's best bud. Neither of those two put up with Haruhi's poo poo, as opposed to the pushovers of the normal brigade, and as a result Haruhi is less a molesting, blackmailing rear end in a top hat and more just a very excitable but bossy person. Although it's not all good because Itsuki's balls are pretty much cut off.

I won't have a chance to watch the movie until Sunday, I don't think. :(

Agronox fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 19, 2015

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It is kind of sad though that apart from spinoffs this is probably always going to be the end of the series. Feels like, all together, they're still just approaching the midpoint of a much larger story.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Allarion posted:

It's somewhat vague to be honest. Like I said, Itsuki has another of his fun speculations about it. He's also gotten into the habit of drawing diagrams for everything now.

Goddamn it. I guess I should just read the books. But I guess they're never going to finish up either!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Parallax posted:

i don't think euphonium tried to do the same thing haruhi tried, but for what it did it excelled at. i'd go as far as saying the character animation in euphonium is better than haruhi

Oh I don't think that could possibly be in dispute, could it? Euphonium wasn't a particularly audacious show, but it was undeniably beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

I'm very interested in it, I have seen very little 60s anime and I'm curious what it has to offer

Is it even possible to find without having to spend Ten Million Dollars?

• Locked thread