Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Veloxyll posted:

The Magpies probably stole Abbadon's arms.

Nah, they were ripped off by the Emprasque at Cadia, at least in that story. But I could believe the Bloody Magpies doing it to Failbaddon in another story.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Veloxyll posted:

The Magpies probably stolefound Abbadon's arms.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
We should mop out the Necrons, if only because we can't let them destroy the imperial guard stronghold. We need to have all the Stronghold missions in this LP. It just wouldn't be complete without one.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Honestly, if there's one thing I hold an unreasonable love for in all the 40k spectrum, it's the squats. For those of you who don't know: Space Dwarves. That is the beginning and end of them. Games Workshop felt they were boring and that they lacked the ability to make interesting things out of them, which is further proof that they don't know jack about their own work. This is why they were essentially swept under the rug, though they do exist as a recognized abhuman race. They were basically half an army in regular 40k, but in epic, the old game where titans were the equivalent of your average tank choice in 40k, they had all sorts of neat things. They have battle-trains, drill-transports, biker squadrons, kirov airships and tanks the size of titans, built around gigantic guns that ran their whole length and made the baneblade look like the hilarious deceleration of inadequacy that it really is. Their canonical status has fluctuated, like, a lot, but apparently they are basically back but as an incidental detail.

Technically a part of the Imperium, they organized themselves into system-spanning leagues based around strongholds. As a bunch of xenophobic little jerks, the Imperium was pretty happy to just let them do whatever so long as they didn't go against Imperial doctrine. Also, unlike the mechanicus they actually understood what they were doing and there were some hilarious anecdotes about that in the old books.

I think they had a pretty neat style, as well, too.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Warhammer already has a race of technologically advanced midgets. They are called the Tau.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Iretep posted:

Warhammer already has a race of technologically advanced midgets. They are called the Tau.

I know you're obviously kidding but the Squats came before the Tau

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 19, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

NewMars posted:

Honestly, if there's one thing I hold an unreasonable love for in all the 40k spectrum, it's the squats. For those of you who don't know: Space Dwarves. That is the beginning and end of them. Games Workshop felt they were boring and that they lacked the ability to make interesting things out of them, which is further proof that they don't know jack about their own work. This is why they were essentially swept under the rug, though they do exist as a recognized abhuman race. They were basically half an army in regular 40k, but in epic, the old game where titans were the equivalent of your average tank choice in 40k, they had all sorts of neat things. They have battle-trains, drill-transports, biker squadrons, kirov airships and tanks the size of titans, built around gigantic guns that ran their whole length and made the baneblade look like the hilarious deceleration of inadequacy that it really is. Their canonical status has fluctuated, like, a lot, but apparently they are basically back but as an incidental detail.

Technically a part of the Imperium, they organized themselves into system-spanning leagues based around strongholds. As a bunch of xenophobic little jerks, the Imperium was pretty happy to just let them do whatever so long as they didn't go against Imperial doctrine. Also, unlike the mechanicus they actually understood what they were doing and there were some hilarious anecdotes about that in the old books.

I think they had a pretty neat style, as well, too.

Let me tell you about the scrunts.
:hf:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Onmi posted:

I know you're obviously kidding but the Squats came before the Tau

And the Tau have actual space dwarves in their ranks, too, the Demiurg. Who are also Bentusi from Homeworld down to giving the Tau ion cannon technology.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Which is probably the only tech they haven't gotten from Eldar Meddling.

Also, there is exactly ONE person/god who knows what the actual gently caress is going on.
That;d be Uthuan. You know, the prophet/jerk who, in true Eldar Style, cheerfully gives races tainted information to lesser races that will lead to their doom to save a single Eldar.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Would you like to try that again because there has never ever in any lore existed anyone called 'Uthuan'.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know, people talk about the patient hunter path giving you really loving good guns, which is true and important, but it also gives you another upgrade, one that increases survivability. It gives your vehicles a fair bit more health, but more importantly it makes your Fire Warriors way more durable, because it not only increases their health, but also increases their armor from Space Marine level to Terminator level, so not only do they have more health, but they take less damage from most attacks too.

Also, I tended to rush the second gun upgrade on the commander, since the data shows it can one shot unupgraded Tac Marines, which is quite nice.

And on the subject of range, I think only three, maybe four weapons in the game could out-range veteran Fire Warriors, all of them dedicated artillery guns.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tau rifles are the most powerful basic rifle in all of Warhammer. Like, literally no-one else does better. On the tabletop and in the RPGs, they do damage on par with Imperial squad support machine guns with longer range than anyone else's rifle and the potential to take out light vehicles from behind or the side sometimes. Their standard body armor is also just a step below power armor and on par with the elites of the Imperial Guard.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Theantero posted:

We should mop out the Necrons, if only because we can't let them destroy the imperial guard stronghold. We need to have all the Stronghold missions in this LP. It just wouldn't be complete without one.

oh yeah we were having an lp and not a lorechat kinda forgot

Yeah, go after the Necrons, mainly because it's the least lovely of many lovely options at this point.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

HerraS posted:

Would you like to try that again because there has never ever in any lore existed anyone called 'Uthuan'.

I can't remember those drat space elf names.
They all look alike anyhow!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

GhostStalker posted:

Minor nitpick, but Leman Russes are IG tanks, not Space Marine. They may be named after a Space Marine Primarch, but its the Guard that uses them.

That Tau tank commander was under a lot of stress. He mis-spoke, in his panic. He didn't make it, if it makes you feel better.

Iretep posted:

Anyone else weirded out that Force commander Vanilla Ice is talking to the Tau commander even though he's supposed to at best be a sergeant at this point in another mission somewhere? Also hes mute. Did chaos do this?

What are you talking about? All you humans look alike. (Ha, I couldn't find a a non-bionic eye artwork of Davian Thule. The Force Commander looked similar enough).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'd be alright with Force Commander Vanilla Ice being a recurring villain / rival of Thule, probably involved with Slaanesh though.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 19, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Shame about the peaks.

Pimpmust posted:

I'd be alright with Force Commander Vanilla Ice being a recurring villain / rival of Thule, probably involved with Slaanesh though.

The FC's hairesy isn't so bad in game or cutscene but his potrait definitely does him no favors. He's like one of those b-list former teen actors who still uses a headshot from the 90s as their imdb profile pic, frosted tips and all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

That Tau tank commander was under a lot of stress. He mis-spoke, in his panic. He didn't make it, if it makes you feel better.

Oddly enough, it does. Perhaps he was a secret Imperial sympathizer trying to throw us off track.

So, Necrons. Let's deal with those.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Night10194 posted:

Tau rifles are the most powerful basic rifle in all of Warhammer. Like, literally no-one else does better. On the tabletop and in the RPGs, they do damage on par with Imperial squad support machine guns with longer range than anyone else's rifle and the potential to take out light vehicles from behind or the side sometimes. Their standard body armor is also just a step below power armor and on par with the elites of the Imperial Guard.

Pulse rifles ahoy! Lasguns and bolters are cool, but having a more reliable plasma weapon is worth a lot here. That and railguns are pretty handy to have when facing heavy armor bearing down on you.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

my dad posted:

Hmm... The Necrons are not keeping an eye on their back door, so we might as well attack them. If we're lucky, Thule will stay where he is and taking the spaceport will be relatively easy.

Dr. Snark posted:

Yeah, go after the Necrons, mainly because it's the least lovely of many lovely options at this point.

chiasaur11 posted:

So, Necrons. Let's deal with those.

Necron it is. We march on the Western Barrens.
Shas'o, you have an incoming call. They say it's urgent.
Who is it?
Patching it through.
Hold on--
Shas'o Kais. I know you are planning to attack the Necron. I have seen it.
T-Taldeer?
Your race is too young and naive to understand what forces they meddle with, which is why you must pull your army back and allow me to cleanse this planet of the Necron scourge.
That's--not going to happen.
As you fumble your way through the darkness to your death, remember that all you had to do to save yourself was leave Kronus.
What are you--she hung up. Huh.

Honour Guard, rush forward. The Necron are too busy with the Imperial Guard on their eastern flank, they will have become complacent. Strike fast and eliminate their bases before they can bring their Monoliths online!

There it is, Shas'o, just north of our position.

Aside from a few Gauss Turrets, it's completely undefended. Remarkable! No wonder the Necron went extinct for so long.
I don't think that's how they work, Shas'o.
The Necron Builder Scarabs are a pretty decent construction unit. They cost nothing to produce and cost nothing to reinforce. They can only have three units in a squad, but that's still enough to act as a screen for escaping enemy fire. They build slowly, though, and need to build Obelisks on strategic points to increase their build speed. Fun fact: Necrons don't need requisition. All of their tech and armies are built through power--so they need a LOT of it. Scarabs are also detector units and are the only Necron forces that can capture strategic points. They're useful, but having so many responsibilities can be a draw back if the Necron are trying to build and some humble Tau forces keep killing all their Scarabs--like we're going to do.

Those Gauss Turrets have some solid range, and deal decent damage. They're fragile, though, so we'll take those out first.

Those wrecks surrounding the deactivated Monolith? Tomb Spyders. Dangerous foes. Powerful melee, but they can also be upgraded with powerful Gauss armaments. Fortunately, the Necron need a lot of power and a lot of Summoning Cores to get them working. If we can keep the Scarabs from building, we'll never have to worry about them.
We have EMP Grenades, Shas'o, we never will have to worry about them--not at the speed it takes to activate even one Tomb Spyder.

This is a Snare Trap, by the by. Only I carry them. They are proximity mines that dramatically slow down enemy forces. Great for making a getaway or slowing down incoming defensive forces while you level their bases. Though no Necron have shown up to defend this position. Strange tactics, these ancient machines have.

One Monolith down, sir. The other one is likely just a little south-west from this position.

!!!
Well, that is where the Necron Lord finally came from. Follow it. Disable it.

Necron Warriors sighted!
They, too, are fleeing. I thought the Necron were supposed to be dangerous? What was Taldeer rambling about? Necron Warriors are an extremely powerful infantry group when fully upgraded. They are basic Necron infantry and cost nothing to produce. Nothing at all. However, with each constructed Necron Warrior squad the construction time gets longer and longer. They're slow, but when they amass in large groups, they're able to march ever inexorably towards their destination.

All Necron are disabled.
They die like idiots. What is that?
Recon reports that damaged Necron are occasionally able to reboot their systems and keep fighting.
Yes, but they reboot at half their health. Keep an eye on the corpses, break them into tiny pieces if they get back up.

There's the second Monolith! They've brought some of its systems back online.
I want this province to become a buffer between Tash'n and the Necron. Standard de-claw procedures. Ensure our Stealthsuit squads are capturing as many points as possible and that our Earth Caste Drones are building up defenses. I want a Mont'ka Command Post active before we leave.
Of course, Shas'o!

Flayed Ones. Necron draped in the bodies of their foes. Ghastly things. Their presence can weaken troop morale--but they'll never get close enough to affect my Fire Warriors.
Well, Shas'o, that's not entirely true. They can spawn anywhere on the battlefield, bursting through the earth.
I know that, I was trying to sound--
They could burst directly beneath our feet if they wanted too. Great at disrupting infantry, particularly with their great melee.
*sigh* Just disable them please.

More fun facts about the Necron: most infantry have the ability to teleport to most Necron structures. This could make base assaults a huge headache, but since the Necron left the Barrens more or less unprotected, we don't have much to worry about. That's an Obelisk, by the way. It's the worst Listening Post in the whole Dark Crusade. It comes with zero defensive capability. The first upgrade gives it a powerful single-shot cannon that requires a huge cooldown between firing, and only the last upgrade attaches a Gauss turret to it. Necron tech is so backwards.

Shas'o, a Tomb Spyder activated! They must have a Summoning Core somewhere that we missed!
Not a problem for us.

It's down.
Another fun fact about Tomb Spyders: they can salvage corpses from the battlefield. If they gather enough, they can construct a Necron squad on the spot: Necron Warriors, Flayed Ones, or Necron Immortals--which are anti-vehicle Necron. It can be a pain if you allow Tomb Spyder's to wander unobstructed.

DEFENSIVE MEASURES ARE COMPLETE.
Good work, tear down that Monolith.

You have done well, Shas'o. Welcome back.
New report: Gorgutz is on the move again. Towards Chaos territory this time.
Lousy, Thule. Well, perhaps the Orkz will keep the Chaos Lords occupied for now.

Also, check it out! You can see the Imperial Guard testing out their big cannon on the map! Pretty cool, huh?
Uh--
Oh, and we have a new Honour Guard squad to assist you:

Oh, oh, oh, and Thule has returned to the Space Marines Stronghold.
It's almost as if he just wanted to annoy you, Shas'o.

Chaos are on the move. advancing towards the Necron.

We have many avenues before us, Shas'o.

Taking Pavonis would not only deny Thule of his resources, but would allow the Air Caste to insert us into any battlezone on Kronus.

The Van Der Mar Mountains would be another easy conquest against the Necron, if the last battle was any indication.

We could attack the Necron Stronghold at the Thur'Abis Plateau and eliminate them once and for all.
You just received a text, O'Kais. It's from Taldeer. She says we "got lucky" and that we're "not ready". How shall I respond?
Don't reply--
I said: "lol, no u!"
Oh for--okay, what else?

The Janus Savannah looks like it could be a simple attack against the Orkz. It'd be easier than going to Hyperion--
Don't even say the name. Not right now. Alright, War Council, decide our plan of attack.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Van Der Mar Mountains looks like a fine choice to hopefully get Tau slaughtered in job lots before hitting Thur'Abis. The veteran stealth team will be handy for that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Almost forgot to add, but here are the Wargear requirements with the ones we already have crossed off:
  • For 3-to-1 kill ratio (a minimum of 200 kills required)
  • For 1 conquest (taking a province)
  • For 5 conquests
  • For 15 conquests
  • For 2,000 kills
  • For 5,000 kills
  • For 3 defeated enemies (stronghold missions)
  • For 1 defense (holding a province – auto-resolve doesn't count)
  • For 3 defenses
  • For 5 defenses

We should be one defense and one attack away from getting those next respective Wargears.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
If my Four Planet War Simulation (also known as Soul Storm) tells me anything it is that the most apt weapon for any Tau army is their invisible forces. The Van De Mar Mountains would allow us another Veteran Stealth Team, and thus is the most suitable target for our next march. Not to mention the fact that snubbing those pretentious Eldar on the nose once more would be totally worth it.

It is DE Mar by the way, not DER Mar.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Luhood posted:

It is DE Mar by the way, not DER Mar.

Sorry! That's the Kronus accent coming through.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Thur'Abis Plateau or bust!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Van De Mar Mountains, that Veteran Stealth Team will be really handy in the coming battles.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd suggest going for the Necron Stronghold but that's one mission where you really want to have all the wargear you can get so I guess Janus Savannah it is, while Gorgutz is safely away. Plus starting with Kroot should mean we can actually turn against the Eldar who permanently loom behind us.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Janys Savannah seems like the easiest target here, and having the Kroot honor guard would give us some early close combat capability for future missions.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hit the spaceport. We have enough honor guard to rapidly accomplish mission objectives. The time to strike is NOW.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

Hit the spaceport. We have enough honor guard to rapidly accomplish mission objectives. The time to strike is NOW.

This is an excellent plan that cannot end badly.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Probs won't have a new update till later tonight, or tomorrow morning, but the votes are surprisingly close this time. Too many easy targets?

• Van de mar Mountains - 3
  • Pavonis Spaceport - 3
  • Janus Savannah - 2
  • Thur'abis Plateau - 1

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Let's go Van De Mar Mountains. That veteran stealth team is just too tasty.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I also vote Van De Mar Mountains because the Necron are really cool and I would like to see more of them. Also the Greater Good, etc.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Not actually sure if my vote counts due to being a filthy Gue'la but Van De Mar Mountains anyway, I want you to really show off how bullshit Necrons can be.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Heaven Spacey posted:

Not actually sure if my vote counts due to being a filthy Gue'la but Van De Mar Mountains anyway, I want you to really show off how bullshit Necrons can be.

All Gue'la who have submitted to re-education are now considered Gue'vesa and can now participate in War Council decisions.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Very well,I cast my vote for the Janus Savannah, because it'd be fun to watch you guys get killed by Orks again the Kroot would be useful for melee.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
An Orc mission should also be the biggest stepo forward towards the 2,000 kills wargear reward. Speaking of which, what number are we at currently? Do we have any in-game counter?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
No, there's no counter that I know of, but it doesn't take long to get the "2000 Kill" Wargear :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blind Sally posted:

No, there's no counter that I know of, but it doesn't take long to get the "2000 Kill" Wargear :getin:

Especially if you hit the Ork, Imperial Guard, or Chaos strongholds early. You will rack up hundreds upon hundreds of kills in those strongholds while turtling and teching up.

• Locked thread