Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Orks :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Orkz

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Imperial Guard, because Blind Sally told me to.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well, well, well, through no fault of vote rigging (because the Tau Empire would never do that, despite recent allegations), it appears we once again have a tie.

12 - 12 for Imp Guard and Orkz :kheldragar:

Come on, War Council, get it together!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Guard. For gently caress's sake people, can we get the game moving again?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hahaha, okay, good. We're gonna attack The Imperial Guard. Voting is closed, I'm gonna have a new update tomorrow.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

it appears we once again have a tie.

12 - 12 for Imp Guard and Orkz :kheldragar:

Come on, War Council, get it together!
necrons, again
Guard

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Let's defeat the Imperial Guard, drive them back to their ports. Allow them and their children the opportunity to join the Greater Good, and then we show the Orks who're the real bosses in this system.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Emissary666 posted:

Imperial Guard
They have put themselves in a perfect position to become prime targets.

Night10194 posted:

Puretide would absolutely rock the HoMMIII. Just like we'll rock the Imperial Guard.

ShootaBoy posted:

If we stomp the Guard first, they should get their commander back in time to hold off the Orkz.

Thiiiiiiis is the good plan. The Imperial Guard is sitting outside of our stronghold.

Good news, Shas'o: since you sat around doing nothing for a week, we've stockpiled enough requisition to go in fully armed and armoured!
Aaaah, heh, heh, let's, uh, keep that on the down low, okay?

Ugh, you know what I hate about the Imperial Guard? They ALWAYS know where to find your HQ. Infiltrated units are a bust against them as well. Thanks to their radar ability, they're probably the best AI faction for countering Tau stealth.

Right, anyways, move out quickly.

We want to retake this position quickly and build up a forward base. It sucks to have to do it from scratch, but hey, if you get sucked into Heroes III, you gotta deal with the fallout. Am I right, guys?

Guys?

Just ignore him.
Will do.

This mission is really a case of "second verse, same as the first". We've done this before, only with the Necron instead of the Imperial Guard. The AI will station two bases north of the player position, which will be on the plateau in the centre of the map. Knock out at least one base fast or the other will quickly overwhelm you. It's not a large map, after all.

There's the northernmost base. It's the quickest to attack first. It'll be down shortly. With full commander upgrades and two Elite Fire Warrior Bodyguards, there's not much that can stop us short of a full AI Honour Guard.

Shas'o, the gue'la are moving south of our base to take strategic points.
Huh, they're moving faster than I expected them too... move quickly, teams, we need to finish this.

First base down. Moving onto the second. Resistance has been minimal.

That's great, but they're amassing more forces to the south.

Do something! Are you not Tau?
Die, filthy xenos!
Uh huh, sure.

I am--defeated--again!?

Imperial forces are pushing off of our strategic points. We can't attack without being detected. If we're detected, we're vulnerable!

Firepower is on its way. Hold tight, we'll help secure the south.

That's what I like to see: teamwork! Not that it matters much--

--since the final Imperial base is already down.

Was there ever any doubt?

O'Kais, we still have a second turn. Our forces are mobilized and ready to attack a second target. Where shall we strike?
Leave that to the War Council. Kronus is our oyster, and we can cleave any part of it open with our railguns. We get one more move before our turn ends. Where should we strike next?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Clean up the western mountains, then eliminate the Orks.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Hit the Ork Army.

Nobody's taking Victory Bay but us. :colbert:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Now, I don't know much boss, but it lookz like dem Orkz is always good fer' fightin'!

This vote paid for by the Kronos Orkz council fer mer fightin' and less muckin' about.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Secure our home base. Judging by the flag on the map the remaining guardsmen are already working on their own effigy of an officer, and won't hesitate to attack us. We just got done doing that. New plan: Wipe out the Imperial Guard

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 10, 2015

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Orks/z

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Orkz orkz orkz orkz, orkz orkz.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Hit the Ork Army.

This soldier has the right idea, Shas'o. Victory Bay must be not merely cleared of Imperial presence, it must be a symbolic victory for Tau's claim over that of the Imperium.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

WAAAGH!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Hit the ork army. We don't want them to steal our glory the glory of the Greater Good, right?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Hit the Ork Army.

Yep.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

take out the orks

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Hit the Imperial Guard Base

We should not debase ourselves as to indulge the Orkz in their desire for combat. Instead, prove Tau superiority by stealing their chance at a big battle with the IG from right under their noses.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Emissary666 posted:

We should not debase ourselves as to indulge the Orkz in their desire for combat. Instead, prove Tau superiority by stealing their chance at a big battle with the IG from right under their noses.

For which we need to attack the Orkz that are standing in our way to get there. :v:

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

my dad posted:

For which we need to attack the Orkz that are standing in our way to get there. :v:

That's only if we want to attack from the south, the western border is open and underdefended.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Emissary666 posted:

Except if I recall correctly, we can't actually attack the IG Stronghold on this turn; the Spaceport's ability to allow us to attack anywhere on the map doesn't work against Strongholds. At best, we'd be able to move adjacent to it, which would give the Orkz a chance to wipe out the IG before us.

So with that in mind...

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Hit the Ork Army.

What he said, for the Greater Good.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Emissary666 posted:

That's only if we want to attack from the south, the western border is open and underdefended.

my dad is correct. We'd have to spend our turn moving our army to the western border first, giving the Orkz the opportunity to steal Victory Bay away from us.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Hit the Ork Army.

NewMars posted:

Now, I don't know much boss, but it lookz like dem Orkz is always good fer' fightin'!

This vote paid for by the Kronos Orkz council fer mer fightin' and less muckin' about.

ShootaBoy posted:

Yeah, let's do it. Let's hit the Orkz. It's been a while since we've knocked them around. Need to remind them of the Tau gun's supremacy.

We need to move fast. This is a large map, and we spent all our requisition preparing for that fight with the Imperial Guard. We're going in with nothing but our Honour Guard.

Shas'o, they're already here!
What the gently caress?

Shas'o, there's a lot of them...

It means more targets! Keep shooting! We Tau do not lose! We are that good!
Uh, sure thing, Shas'o.

This should be routine. I'm gonna take my Fire Warrior Bodyguards and go eliminate their HQ. Watch the base and build up our defenses.

Ha, look at me go! Nothing could ever go wrong. I've pretty much perfected this "war" thing. Isn't that right?

I said, "isn't that right?" Hello? Stealthsuits?

THE BASE IS UNDER ATTACK>>>>>11111
What the gently caress??

PLEASE PULL BACK AND HELP DEFEND THE HQ<SHAS'O>>>>
Nonsense, we're going to wipe out the Ork base with plenty of time to spare. Just keep training Fire Warriors and repairing the HQ.

Heh heh, it's never a good thing ter underestimate an Ork. We'ze gonna chop up yer little probe droids'n use'em as dinner plates.
I didn't know Orkz bothered with cutlery.
If it annoyz youze grey-skinz, we'll make an exception!

Laugh while you can, Ork, I'm about to knock on your front door!
Ah, go ahead. Me boyz'll make short work of yer.

Arrogant fool. Uh, that's a lot of Orkz.

Uh, we really aren't doing too well. How are those reinforcements looking, HQ?

Uh, yeah, dis iz HQ. I swearz we'll git'em yer way soon. Jess hold on. Heh.

Well, gently caress.

Damnit! How could this happen? We're Tau, damnit!

Shas'o, the Imperial Guard are making a counter attack on our position.
Ugh, alright. Let's make sure we win this. I don't think my ego can take two consecutive losses.

Be aware, Shas'o: the Orkz decimated your Honour Guard. The only reinforcements you have are the local guards. That includes a single Broadside suit and a few additional Earth Caste Drones.
WE WILL DO OUR BEST>>>>!

Seriously, Shas'o, I'm with you. Let's knock down some Gue'la buildings.

Even without my Honour Guard, we're making short work of Governor Alexander's militia.

Fire Warriors trained and ready! Joining you on the battlefield...
Good! The northern base is weakening. Help us deliver the killing blow.

To the western base!

(Man, I still can't believe those bloody Orkz beat us back).

Overwhelming firepower, Shas'o. The Gue'la are dead!

The buffer state between our capital and the Imperial Guard is preserved, Shas'o. Excellent work. However, you have made no progress in stopping the Orkz' advance on Victory Bay. For the moment, though, it seems our attack has made them reconsider their movement. They spent the last day holding position and stockpiling requisition.

Yeah, that was embarrassing.
If you choose to, Shas'o, we can strike at the Orkz again. With requisition, we'll be able to field a forward base or forward army.
Careful, though, as we don't have enough requisition to field either at full capacity. Furthermore, Shas'o lacks an Honour Guard and the War Council may wish to spend our resources on that.
Uh, suggestion, Shas'o--one of our War Council suggested this last turn:

Emissary666 posted:

What about it?
Well, it's a new round and we have all the necessary resources. Don't forge, we get two movements per round, now. If we choose, we can hit Victory Bay from the west.
Up to the War Council. Shall we keep throwing ourselves at the Orkz or try a different tactic?

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

EDIT: Nevermind, this post has been preempted.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Attack Victory Bay.

Prefab a tech building and a barracks, and get the stealthsuit honor guard, plus whatever else you can afford with the leftover requisition.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Lanch an assault on Victory Bay.

That not only keeps the Orks from stealing our glory, but also gets rid of the Guard army near our base.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Let's attack the Orks again, but win this time.
Otherwise the Ork Boss will just think we are pushovers.

Jalak
Nov 23, 2013
So what actually happened there? What was so different with that battle then with all the others that caused that loss?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Large map. Hard to ensure that you meet the Ork forces head-on. Ideally, you want to wipe out their base fast, because on large maps the Hard AI is phenomenally good at capturing strategic points faster than you are and massing so much requisition and power that they can literally drown your forces out in a swarm of soldiers. This swarming tactic is particularly true of the Orkz due to the way their army works. Unless you're a macro whiz, which I am not, you're not going to be able to capture and reinforce enough points, build up a sufficiently defended base, and train large enough army, so it's better to rush a small team to blow up their HQ.

I was unprepared for how hard and fast the Orkz would hit: Gorgutz had a big-rear end Honour Guard. He had his vehicles in while I was still building a barracks:

As pictured, my Stealthsuits took out the vehicles quickly enough, but by then the rest of Gorgutz Honour Guard was there:

My biggest mistake was not sending Shas'o and the Firewarrior Bodyguards towards the Ork HQ the moment the match begun. However, I was concerned that they would be pummelled by Gorgutz' Guard. Ork are great in melee and that would spell the death of the Firewarriors, as the Stormboyz would've closed the gap quickly and prevented them from firing. By the time Gorgutz was attacking, I had two options: to stick out the defense or make a run for his HQ. If I stayed, I might've pushed him back. However, while I'm micromanaging a defense of a weakened base with an inferior Honour Guard, the AI is amassing requisition and building up new units at their home base. A second and third wave would've been fast on their heels and I'm not confident in my ability to match an AI on such a large loving map. Rushing to their HQ was a risk, but if I succeeded, I would've won and the fight wouldn't have been dragged out for hours on end. Soooo:

I made a run for it.

The plan was to auto-build Fire Warriors to keep the Honour Guard distracted. This would prevent them from attacking my HQ too much, which I could keep standing with my Earth Caste Drones. My big problem came when I got to Gorgutz' base:

He had already produced more units than I could quickly dispatch, so I couldn't even get within range of his HQ. By that time, he had overwhelmed my defenses and my base was gone. Ah well.

Honestly, every time I attack a Hard AI on a large map, I worry this will be the outcome. There's too much space and it's challenging to manage it all. That I've only had two defeats on a large map for this playthrough (here and that first loss against the Eldar) is, frankly pretty awesome! I've beaten Hard AI before on large maps, and we could certainly give it another go and try rushing for the base, but it's not a guaranteed win. It's why I spend so much time fortifying large maps so that I can improve my odds of winning in the event I'm attacked.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Attack Victory Bay. Even if we didn't manage to beat the Orkz, we managed to stall them out for a turn, and that's all we needed. Now we can finish off the remnants of the Imperium, and then paint the rest of the map orange at our convenience.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Attack Victory Bay. Steal a march on the Orks, then correct your mistake.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I should also clarify, that Tau aren't really well-situated for prolonged offensives. Their defensive capabilities aren't great. You can build turrets on strategic points and set up Broadside suits for additional fire power, but that's about it. The Tau are meant to be glass cannons, and that is true in their play-style. Their best defensive, is truly, a swift and decisive offense. Especially against Orkz, you need to move quickly. Now, if I were playing as the Imp Guard, I could've set up a really powerful defensive line and probably have just let the Orkz smash against me futilely while scouts captured points to build up a counter offensive.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Victory Bay or Death!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
VICTORY BAY IS A MISTAKE. We don't have the resources to field a full forward army *or* base, and we have no honor guard.

Furthermore, Victory Bay should be saved for last to signify our final victory in the defense of this world for the Greater Good!

Move once more against the Orks with renewed Honor Guard! They beat us back in the last assault, but they were rattled themselves. With a proper honor guard, and better armed with knowledge, we can wipe the region clean of the Ork filth.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Regardless of who we attack, we really need to prefab the tech structure. One of the biggest advantages the Tau have is the ability to prefab to tech 2. Sure, it's expensive as gently caress, but very much worth it for hard fights.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

Damnit! How could this happen? We're Tau, damnit!
I believe you just answered your own question. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Poil posted:

I believe you just answered your own question. :smug:

You're gonna be trouble, aren't you.

• Locked thread