Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Look okay, Orks are just really fungis. Also their head grows out of their chest

That or they've got the worst case of hunchback I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Orks is tough, don't care about back injuries because if it gets bent, they can always get a new one.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
if the precursors were actually committed to the "ultimate proxy warrior" thing they'd have stork-like backwards bending knees
and snouts, and talons. . look they'd be the kroot alright?

demonstrate their superiority

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 20, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I vote anything that gets us a Gregory vs Squiggoth fight.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

habituallyred posted:

North while hoping that we run into the kwikmeks rather than the rokkitrangaz.

biosterous posted:

Go North, so that that the the Headchrushaz can do what they truly want, strong and free.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Going for the relic too quickly just leaves our flank exposed. Go North, then south and destroy the banners in those directions first. Alternatively, south, then north. Either order works, just take out the flanks first.

I'll give'em what they want. They won't know what hit them!

Literally, because of stealth and jetpacks :colbert:

Oi! Dey blew up da big banner!

Huh, Gorgutz ain't so tough. Git' im!

Ain't no grot lovers gonna leave me Waaagh! Chop 'em up, boyz!

Boss! Da Headcrushaz iz rebellin'!
I can see that, ya squig-farmer! Shut yer yap and get back to killin'!

Ya, but, killin' who, Boss?

Da Big Banner iz gone! Da Big Banner iz gone!
I'm da boss now, so shut it! Headcrushaz, we'z on our own now!

The Headcrushaz are ignoring us, Shas'o. We'll capture their strategic point while their remaining forces engage Gorgutz.

Right. I'm heading north to see if I can knock down any more banners. Join me when you can.

Huh. Welp, I've located the Kwikmeks. I guess we can assume that it's the Burna Boyz and Rokkitrangaz to the south.

Haha, thank goodness for the Headcrushaz. While they attack the Kwikmekz and Gorgutz's Boyz, I can safely take out that banner.

Banner's down! Stealth and jetpacks! Stealth and jetpacks!

Hahaha, Gorgutz' Big Banner got blowed up!
Gorgutz' iz a grot-herder, that one! I should be Boss!
No way! I'm da Boss now!
That's it. The Kwikmekz have turned on Gorgutz, too!
When you can, Shas'o, we've continued north. We've located one of Gorgutz' outposts protecting a slag deposit.

Let's make it ours! We could use the power to field Drones.

Too easy! Hahahaha, stealth and jetpacks! Fire Warriors, news of the front?

It's under control, Shas'o.
Gorgutz continues to send the clans against us, but they're unable to break our lines. We're establishing a forward base amongst the Headhunterz. They're too busy fighting Gorgutz to even notice our presence.

Case in point, we've got our Hammerheads parked here shooting anything that moves. So far no serious attempt has been made to dislodge us.

My Kroot are well-fed. There is nothing more they can learn from these Orkz until they've had a chance to digest.

Good news all around, then. My team has secured the slag deposit. We'll get some Drone Harbingers down here as soon as possible.

I suppose we need to think of our next move, O'Kais. Do we wish to take the Orkz relic? If we disturb their sacred grounds, they are sure to fight harder, though Gregory will likely off-set this. Of course, from our northern position, we can bypass the centre of the map and attack Gorgutz directly.

I've gone scouting south. We could still disrupt the Burna Boyz and Rokkitrangaz if we think it will help our fight at all.

Whatever you think, Shas'o. Our base is well-protected now. Our Kroot Auxiliaries are fighting admirably.
We are well-paid.

Harbingers are ready. We can, at the very least, send a never-ending supply of Drones into Gorgutz' base to harry them.

I vote we head straight to Gorgutz. The Footstompaz are in the way, but if we can destroy the Big Banner, it'll set the Squiggoth back on Gorgutz himself. Worth the risk, if you ask me.
The decision remains with the War Council. War Council, you have many options ahead of you. Which shall we take?

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 20, 2016

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Make the victory complete. Demoralize them; that relic is important to them. Claim the relic, and deploy Gregory.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Claim the relic, and deploy Gregory.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Hoist by your own Squiggoth!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm not in the war council but winning the final battle without Gregory would be anticlimatic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm not in the war council but winning the final battle without Gregory would be anticlimatic.

Well, lucky for you I am on the Neighborhood Watch Association War Council, and I agree with this position.

We should deploy Gregory. For The Greater Good.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Summon forth Gregory.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

AJ_Impy posted:

Summon forth Gregory.

The only correct choice.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Bring out Gregory and show these orkz how a proper giant monster rampages.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Greg

(:effort:)

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
As much as I'd like to go for a complete victory I can't stomach the risk of winning without our big bird-dino thingy.

Bring Gregory afield! Then send some Squiggoths after Gorgutz, for good measure, before taking out the Burnaz and Rokkiteers.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If we go after Gorgutz, then there's no real point to taking out the Burna Boyz or Rokkitrangaz--killing Gorgutz is all we need to do to end the mission (if Gorgutz is defeated, all remaining clans will abandon his cause).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure how NOT bringing out the biggest gun to the final battle even registers as an option.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Whaddaya mean? The Hammerhead Gunships are already in play! :yum:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

Summon forth Gregory.

Let him rule the field of battle

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You need to put forth at least 9000 points of Tau:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdTWKIa98B8
Just had to share it because it's mildly insane. I can't help but wonder how much all that would cost and how many hours it took to paint. No Gregory unfortunately. Is he not a normal addition to a tabletop army? :(

Here are two more of them, but with more impressive factions of course. Tyranids and Chaos respectively:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-DRF8lzB-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsaLHgnSyBI

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

AJ_Impy posted:

Summon forth Gregory.

Theantero posted:

The only correct choice.

Herr Tog posted:

Let him rule the field of battle

They want Gregory.
*sigh* I know they want Gregory.
Are we gonna--
Yes, let's go get Gregory.

Move out, Stealthsuits. We'll take the banners in silence.
Naturally. (By the Ethereals, the Ork hordes are endless.

Right, well, while you start your attack, we're gonna harass the Footstompaz with Drones.

Endless Drones is never not funny!
'Ere dey come, Footstompaz! Keep da trainersafe. I don't want no Squiggoth stompin' our boyz.

Whatcha doin', Rokkitrangaz? They's comin' fer ya! Attack!
Uh, I think we took a wrong turn.
We've gone too far south. This is the Rokkitrangaz outpost. We can still access the relic from here, but we have to go through it.
Well, alright. Might as well knock out their banner as well. The Footstompaz are distracted right now anyways, so they can wait.

Stealth and jetpacks.

Yup, stealth and jetpacks.

I told ya the boss wasn't so tough. 'E can't even protect 'is own banners.
Becha' Gorgutz ain't so tough neither.
Yeah, let's find out!

Let's move onto the relic while they fight amongst themselves.

Ha! The Drones have killed the Squiggoth trainer!
Da Squiggoth's loose! Clear out, boyz!

Oh, no! Look out!

Hahaha, take your time, Shas'o! The Drones are having a blast right now.
I CAN CONFIRM THIS>>>>

That's good, but we're approaching the relic anyways. We'll be with you soon.

The way is clear. Tau guns to the front!
We're mobile.

Oi, Gorgutz let'em take the Maw of Gork! He ain't no boss, get'im!

Gregory is ready. We're sending him to eliminate the Squiggoth. It'll attack anything that comes near it, Ork, Tau or Kroot, and it's currently in your way.

Are you ready for the fight of the century?

Gregory versus The Squiggoth!!!

This Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!!

And the Squiggoth is down! Yeah, that's right, Gregory. Walk away like it wasn't no thing.

Moving into the Footstompaz base. There isn't much left, but we can still turn the few remaining Orkz against Gorgutz. Rubbing salt in the wounds, so to speak.

Oy! Gorgutz Big Banner just got itself stomped!
Ha! We'll stomp all of Gorgutz' Boyz!

They're distracted. Target them all and eliminate.

Gregory has arrived on the front to assist you.

Excellent news. There wont' be anything left of the Footstompaz once we're done with them.

Good job, everyone! They way is clear. We march onto Gorgutz base itself!

Come on, Greyskin! I need yer skull fer me pointy stick.
Don't you see that your defeat is inevitable, Ork? You cannot hope to win.

How 'bout you shutting yer yap and getting over here so's we can chop ya? Can I hope fer that?
Barbarian. Alright, then. Tau and Kroot, together now. Give them everything you've got!

Gregory has found Gorgutz! Support him!
Drones are right behind him.

So dis is the thing dat ate me Squiggoth, eh? Maybe I ought'er have a taste of it fer re-compensation.

Keep firing! Focus all fire on Gorgutz! The Orkz will collapse without his leadership!
Heh heh heh, that tickles!

Our railguns are hitting him, but he's still standing!
What is this monster made of?

Right now? Heh heh, I'm made'o yer little dinosaur here. Took me a bite roight out of'is neck. S'tasty! A bit like chicken. Hahahaha!
Gregory is down.
Nooooooo!
This barbarian dies today!

Oh, ya ain't got me yet. Got me one more serprize for ya!
Boss, we'ze getting shot up!

Ain't you da master of da obvious. Use da 'splosives!
Da what?

Da bomb, ya git! Da bomb!

Always have yer tunnels dug'n ready.
You sure iz smart, boss.
Shut it, ya git! I got me a whole Waaagh! to rebuild. Now get me the Gork offa dis here planet.

Heeey! We did it!
Excellent work everyone.
We haven't had that much fun in ages.
Kronus is ours!!
You've done well, Shas'o.
Yeah, we won!
Yup. And in the end, it all boiled down to stealth and jetpacks.

Well, that and the fact that the Tau were clearly superior to every other race. And I mean every other race. Heck, the Tyrranids didn't even show up because they knew they didn't stand a chance. Of all the races we've fought, they'e clearly the brightest of the bunch for knowing when to stay out of it, ha. Anyways, let's head back to Or'es Tash'n and reconnect with Aun'el. We have a lot of work ahead of ourselves to secure this colony.

With the last enemy stronghold broken, the Tau hold on Kronus became secure once again.
In large part, thanks to my skill.

The task force sent from the Tau home world remained on the planet to secure it, and soon thereafter further waves of settlers and colonists arrived from across the empire.

The humans left on Kronus found life increasingly difficult for them--many had embraced the Imperial return and now found themselves subject to reeducation and other penalties.
You saw the fanaticism expressed by the Imperial Guard! Did you expect anything less?

Intensive colonization by Tau and Kroot led to a rapid demographic swing, with the human population dwindling to less than 5% a decade after the Dark Crusade.

Although no public announcements were ever made to this effect, it seems clear that human births on Kronus also dropped precipitously.
An unfortunate side-effect of the war.

In part due to the single-gender reeducation camps imposed by the Tau, but it is possible that the alien powers undertook some form of sterilization project--all for the so-called Greater Good.
Um, excuse me? This is all speculation and rumour. Who is this narrator? Probably some human. "So-called"? Yeah, right.

Oh, Gregory healed from his wounds, by the way. He went on to live happily every after.

Whatever the truth, when Kronus was admitted as a full sept of the so-called Third Sphere, its human population was but a footnote.
This "so-called" narrator sucks. Tau rule!

Oh yeah, that's it, by the way. We've won. Go home, War Council. You did a great job!

end

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Aww, what a happy ending for Gregory, with his nice pen and a regular, healthy diet of imperial guardsmen.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Blind Sally posted:

Are you ready for the fight of the century?

:five:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
And once again the Tau have failed to beat Gorgutz. If he's alive, that means he can always come back for annuver go and that means he ain't beat!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NewMars posted:

And once again the Tau have failed to beat Gorgutz. If he's alive, that means he can always come back for annuver go and that means he ain't beat!

Unfortunately, he makes an appearance in Soulstorm as well where like every leader who isn't Vance Stubbs he turns into a moron.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cythereal posted:

Unfortunately, he makes an appearance in Soulstorm as well where like every leader who isn't Vance Stubbs he turns into a moron.

Actually, they accidentally made him look like he doesn't even give a poo poo about anything anymore. He even delegates the defense of his stronghold to a subordinate Ork. :v:

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Solid work everyone, good job war council, Tau rule, Gregory forever. Remember everyone, always spread the gently caress out of the Greater Good, with extreme prejudice.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, fun fact, that narrator is, if I remember correctly, an Imperium scholar. O'kais is right to be skeptical of the guy.

And yaaay, Gregory's okay!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cythereal posted:

Shas'o Or'es'Ka is a fine commander, and not at all a moron. His devotion to the Greater Good is unquestioned, and his tactics in battle are effective. If, uh, very un-Tau. The tactics of Kauyon and Mont'ka are time-tested and true, but I can't blame a guy for wanting to invent a new method. Perhaps he'll find it one day.

One day...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that'll be the day he learns how to actually aim his giant fuckoff space cannon of doom so it does something.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Victory is Ours!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
And what will happen to Shas'O Kai now that the Kronus campaign has ended? Will he retire as a war hero and keep playing Heroes of Might and Magic III? Will he one day beat the Dragon Slayer campaign?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry Lobster posted:

And what will happen to Shas'O Kai now that the Kronus campaign has ended? Will he retire as a war hero and keep playing Heroes of Might and Magic III? Will he one day beat the Dragon Slayer campaign?

For insufficient dedication to the cause of kissing Ethereal rear end, he will be sentenced to playing the last mission of the Heroes of Might and Magic IV: The Gathering Storm expansion.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

For insufficient dedication to the cause of kissing Ethereal rear end, he will be sentenced to playing the last mission of the Heroes of Might and Magic IV: The Gathering Storm expansion.
Oh God.
I still think Dragon Slayer is worse, though. "Restart the game until you get the right starting spell combination" as a necessary move is pretty hard to beat.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

anilEhilated posted:

Oh God.
I still think Dragon Slayer is worse, though. "Restart the game until you get the right starting spell combination" as a necessary move is pretty hard to beat.

I dunno, replay N+1 whole campaigns because you found out in the last mission that N of your heroes aren't built right to handle the specific challenges it throws at you is up there somewhere.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

my dad posted:

I dunno, replay N+1 whole campaigns because you found out in the last mission that N of your heroes aren't built right to handle the specific challenges it throws at you is up there somewhere.

Never played the expansion, but it sounds like the same kind of old school fuckery those kind of games liked to do. Good times.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

my dad posted:

I saw it done in a let's play, the guy playing just stomped through everything like a blazing dragon through butter. :v:

It's not that hard to figure out you need all your heroes to be strong and to have survival skills. There are three very different parts to take I think only one has the evil sorceresses so it's not too bad. It's not a surprise that the last boss is going to be a powerful hero with a large army but you don't know the exact specifics so you need to pick up good skills and spells.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 23, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Great end to a great LP.

Honestly I'm still a bit shocked that they managed to take down Gregory, those things are utter monsters to fight.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ShootaBoy posted:

Great end to a great LP.

Honestly I'm still a bit shocked that they managed to take down Gregory, those things are utter monsters to fight.

They're why I hate the Tau stronghold. If you leave it for later, O'Kais will send Gregory with almost every attack wave on your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Great LP, Blind Sally. Shame about choosing the lamest of races though :v:

• Locked thread