Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

you guys remember Seaquest. its in netflix. Yeah it wasnt the best show but it had some cool ideas. If you have any memories about seaquest post them here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

there was a dolphin and the nerd from jaws

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember season one being really drat good, then season 2 declined noticeably and season 3 went off a loving cliff. I've been wary of ever rewatching in case my fond memories of the first season don't hold up, but I remember thinking the season finale was really good and a perfectly fine way to end the series on a high note. Everything after that just felt like nobody had any clue exactly what they wanted to do with the show or if it was going anywhere.

Didn't season 3 have faux-Klingons in it or something?

Edit: Oh yeah, and at the end of each episode they used to have somebody come on to talk about something fun they were doing in the world of research loosely associated with the show/a particular episode, that was pretty cool.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, and at the end of each episode they used to have somebody come on to talk about something fun they were doing in the world of research loosely associated with the show/a particular episode, that was pretty cool.

NBC saw seaquest DSV as ripe for becoming a major sci-fi hit so they told the writers to cut the boring eco stuff and start adding in time travel, robots, space aliens, and undersea magic beings.

Roy Scheider was extremely outspoken that the only reason he did the show was because he was excited about the ecological aspect, and once that was gone he told the network to gently caress off and left.

quote:

Roy Scheider was vocal in his anger at the show's new direction. In an interview given during the second season, Scheider averred: "It's childish trash... I am very bitter about it. I feel betrayed... It's (the new season) not even good fantasy. I mean Star Trek does this stuff much better than we can do it. To me the show is now 21 Jump Street meets Star Trek."[10] Scheider felt the series had strayed too far away from its premise, and that he "became more of a combat commander than a scientific commander and I hadn't signed up for that."[11] He added that after moving production to Florida, the show was "going to present human beings who had a life on land as well as on the boat... we've had one script that has done that (the episode 'Vapors')," Scheider said. "The other shows are Saturday afternoon 4 o'clock junk for children. Just junk—old, tired, time-warp robot crap (making reference to the much maligned episode "Playtime")."[12] As Scheider explained, "I don't do this kind of stuff... I said (to the production executives), 'If I wanted to do the fourth generation of Star Trek, I would have signed up for it. I wouldn't have done seaQuest. You guys have changed it from handball into field hockey and never even bothered to talk to me.'"[13] Scheider's comments left him in trouble with some of the executive producers, including Patrick Hasburgh who, in reply, had strong words for Scheider as well: "I'm sorry he is such a sad and angry man. seaQuest is going to be a terrific show, and he is lucky to be part of it."

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 15, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is far from the first time this sentiment has been said, and it won't be the last - gently caress NBC :mad:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Said it before, will say it again: I will take the retarded show about Michael Ironside traveling through time with sub "fighters" over anything else in the series.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Has major network interference ever worked.

Like, ever.

You'd think they'd have learned by now.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
I remember seaquest because it was an early example of CG used on tv. They used storage devices called Bernoulli boxes to store the effects, which were essentially switchable hard drives that you could just plug in before turning the computer on. They started around 25 megs all the way up to a WHOPPING 230 megs!! After the show ended they sold off the boxes and my family ended up with some of them! Unfortunately they had wiped everything from them, BUT it was cool to think i was playing tie fighter from a hard drive that had been used for TV. That's my story about seaquest.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Around here we just call it DSV, or more simply - 'The D'.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Like, ever.

It's always obscenely rich people who's ego's are so massive and so connected that they are beholden to no one and they get to decided what their network does and those smartass writers and actors have to deal with it or enjoy never getting a job at the network again.

Kind of like how John Rhys-Davies was 'blacklisted' at Fox after a drunken rant at a corporate party about how the Fox network was mangling the show Sliders (to their faces allegedly). Of course Davies just laughed and went back to England where he was an incredibly respected actor and then still got tons of movie and tv roles from other studios.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I remember having a huge crush on the young genius kid and then being sad later when I found out he hung himself. Apparently he was depressed about the slump his career was in. Good job NBC! :argh:

I also seem to remember an episode about these really pretty glowing rocks. One of the shadier members of the sub was going to sell them as a new precious gem for jewelry. Then it turned out they weren't glowing rocks but the poop of some creature.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 15, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KilGrey posted:

I remember having a huge crush on the young genius kid and then being sad later when I found out he hung himself. Apparently he was depressed about the slump his career was in. Good job NBC! :fist:

Pennywise got him after all :smith:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KilGrey posted:

I remember having a huge crush on the young genius kid and then being sad later when I found out he hung himself. Apparently he was depressed about the slump his career was in. Good job NBC! :argh:

I also seem to remember an episode about these really pretty glowing rocks. One of the shadier members of the sub was going to sell them as a new precious gem for jewelry. Then it turned out they weren't glowing rocks but the poop of some creature.

There was also that enlisted sailor who couldn't read, and was spending time with a female officer ~in secret~ so one of the other officers reported her for fraternization and it blew up until the sailor admitted that he was illiterate and she was teaching him.

Just a really, really weird b plot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

Just a really, really weird b plot.

Especially because I'm almost certain the character had been portrayed reading before.

I like the first season a lot (I like the one where the Wisecracking SpivTM crewman smuggles ground beef aboard to make himself a hamburger - they use artificial meat instead of breeding cows because cow fart methane was killing the atmosphere - and when the captain finds him out, he confiscates it and eats it himself).

Season two is sort of entertaining for how bizarre it gets - my brother watched it after me and flat-out refused to believe me when I told him Mark Hamill guest-starred as an alien spy masquerading as a blind astronomer. Also features parapsychology, genetic engineering and ancient Egyptian masks which communicate telepathically with one crewman. I guess season three wanted to be a more military science-fiction thing. Didn't really work, but Michael Ironside was entertaining. They were setting up Michael York as the main villain when the show ended.

One thing that set it slightly apart from other 1990s genre shows was that its Requisite Charismatic British Character Actor (cf. Patrick Stewart in TNG, John Rhys-Davies in Sliders, Anthony Head in Buffy etc.) was a woman (Stephanie Beacham). :v:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Like, ever.

Shows like Heroes could have used some network interference because the later seasons were absolute clusterfucks of production where every episode was filmed twice over to accommodate rewrites by the hack writers they hired after the writers' strike. Stephen Tobolowsky had a fairly large role in the second season and to this day has no idea what the hell he was acting because production was so screwed up.

His death scene is also anticlimactic as all hell because he broke his neck before they were filming it and he literally could not move his head without risk of paralysis.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 16, 2015

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
It's crazy when you look at the ratings for a mostly forgettable show from that time. Any network would kill for that poo poo today.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is this the show with the retarded guy who had a water pattern birthmark over his entire body?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Is this the show with the retarded guy who had a water pattern birthmark over his entire body?

Yeah, he was part of a group of genetically engineered super soldier who were somehow never mentioned before they were introduced. I also remember there was a whole thing about how since the Amazon rainforest was cut down they had to use big machines to help create oxygen and terrorist super soldiers were going to blow up the machine since they could live just fine in a lower O2 environment.

pentyne posted:

NBC saw seaquest DSV as ripe for becoming a major sci-fi hit so they told the writers to cut the boring eco stuff and start adding in time travel, robots, space aliens, and undersea magic beings.

Roy Scheider was extremely outspoken that the only reason he did the show was because he was excited about the ecological aspect, and once that was gone he told the network to gently caress off and left.

Michael Ironside didn't really view the show any better, rather famously refusing to film any scenes with the dolphin character because "animals don't have anything to tell us" or something like that.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 16, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

It's crazy when you look at the ratings for a mostly forgettable show from that time. Any network would kill for that poo poo today.

I think the funniest thing to happen with TV is Disney finally admitting "yeah, cable is kinda dying" and the market crashing out over it. Like investors were like "OH MY GOD THIS THING PEOPLE SAY IS THE FUTURE IS THE FUTURE!"

I think we're going to see a lot more streaming services very soon.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
SeaQuest doesn't really hold up. I was one of those people who said that the first season was pretty good and then it got screwed in seasons two and three, and then I caught Sci-Fi or somebody rerunning the series and the first season has more science but there's also some just bad sci-fi stuff. The design-work was pretty cool though, the Seaquest ship itself and the little submarines and stuff they used.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hobohemian posted:

Even shows from a few years ago that got cancelled because of "ratings" would now be huge hits.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I almost forgot, Ted Raimi was in it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Speaking of forgotten trainwreck 90s sci-fi shows, Earth: Final Conflict had some hidden potential, too. I just rewatched the first season, and there's some cool stuff there. The main alien character does a good job straddling the line between intriguingly exotic and suspiciously creepy. But I didn't go any further because my impression is it just goes wildly off the rails as multiple cast members leave the show every season.

A more political, less action-y sci-fi show like that would have been received way, way better in today's TV climate.

Anyway, back on topic, I remember watching DSV with my family as a kid. There were some fun concepts and actors, but even back then I never had any illusions about its quality.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Sci-Fi needs to make more shows like this, and less like whatever they do now that isn't this and Warehouse 13 and that show I wish I remembered the name of that had the Allstate guy being the handler for superhuman reincarnated john goodman that worked for the government.

Gonna watch the poo poo out of this now that it's on netflix, it is way better than the stargate show to me for some reason. Thanks!

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I loved SeaQuest as a kid. I also remember liking Earth 2.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

surc posted:

Sci-Fi needs to make more shows like this, and less like whatever they do now that isn't this and Warehouse 13 and that show I wish I remembered the name of that had the Allstate guy being the handler for superhuman reincarnated john goodman that worked for the government.

Gonna watch the poo poo out of this now that it's on netflix, it is way better than the stargate show to me for some reason. Thanks!

Now and Again was the name of that series. Interesting premise, though it seemed to be killed by the CBS curse of blandness after the first season.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

XboxPants posted:

Speaking of forgotten trainwreck 90s sci-fi shows, Earth: Final Conflict...

This put me in mind of Earth 2. I remember liking it but I don't remember if it was actually good or not. I'm not sure they even got to finish their first season.

Edit: B.H. Facials beat me to it. Should have hit send sooner. At least I wasn't alone in liking it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

XboxPants posted:

Speaking of forgotten trainwreck 90s sci-fi shows, Earth: Final Conflict had some hidden potential, too. I just rewatched the first season, and there's some cool stuff there.

That always felt like a great pitch marred by execution. It never felt like it went far enough, and kept playing things safe, which just played into the cheapness of the production quality.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Didn't they handwave all the sci-fi stuff they added in season 3 by them being taken to another planet and then sent back to earth, but 10 years in the future or something.

Funny how that guy who played the slow one and the ex-con with gils are Dom Delouise's sons.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And the slow one pretty much gave up acting and started directing Stargate.

Even weirder was this was created by the same guy that created Farscape.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

When I saw the thread title I mentally parsed it as Sealab and was ready to make a joke about the jerks from Pod 6...

Fun Fact: Seaquest was originally set in the far future world of 2018! Guess we're not quite up to that tech level yet IRL.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember Steven Spielberg used to pimp this show. I think he was long gone by the time they turned Seaquest into a military ship.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's Ok, Spielberg also pimps Falling Skies and Extant. Let's just agree he's lost him touch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

It's Ok, Spielberg also pimps Falling Skies and Extant. Let's just agree he's lost him touch.

And is fully behind the film adaption of Ready Player One, a book where 20% of the dialogue is teenagers arguing over 80s pop culture.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And the slow one pretty much gave up acting and started directing Stargate.

Even weirder was this was created by the same guy that created Farscape.

I knew the first one but not the second. Weren't the genetic super soldiers called GELFs and the reason they had this camo pattern on their bodies was because they had "all the skin colours of humanity". That's such a 90s "all the races are the same!' thing. They just needed to be in wheelchairs to be a one man 90s kids cartoon.

pentyne posted:

And is fully behind the film adaption of Ready Player One, a book where 20% of the dialogue is teenagers arguing over 80s pop culture.

gently caress Ernest Cline so much. He's coasting on "hey you like star wars, well, here's star wars lines said by a loser like you who's days of video games have made him the savior of mandkind!". Ready Player One got really good reviews, and awards, but Armada has been savaged by the critics, but has actually outsold RP1.

The guy on I Don't even Own a TV said "Cline's novels are an answer to the question 'how can i get nerds of today to care about all the dumb poo poo I like from the 80s because I a literal manchild?'". The thing that summed up how dumb his books are, also how shallow his cultural touchstones are, is he describes the beat of Another Bites the Dust as a "machinegun".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I knew the first one but not the second. Weren't the genetic super soldiers called GELFs and the reason they had this camo pattern on their bodies was because they had "all the skin colours of humanity". That's such a 90s "all the races are the same!' thing. They just needed to be in wheelchairs to be a one man 90s kids cartoon.

gently caress Ernest Cline so much. He's coasting on "hey you like star wars, well, here's star wars lines said by a loser like you who's days of video games have made him the savior of mandkind!". Ready Player One got really good reviews, and awards, but Armada has been savaged by the critics, but has actually outsold RP1.

The guy on I Don't even Own a TV said "Cline's novels are an answer to the question 'how can i get nerds of today to care about all the dumb poo poo I like from the 80s because I a literal manchild?'". The thing that summed up how dumb his books are, also how shallow his cultural touchstones are, is he describes the beat of Another Bites the Dust as a "machinegun".

It's such a "geek" thing, to get excited over the fact that there's a secret knowledge base that only you and other true geeks will get. The book has some great potential for crazy sci-fi SFX and action, but without the pop culture stuff its a weak, poorly written book. There are also some terrible, terrible scenes in the book because it all takes place in an MMO so people don't see each other for real and the main character falls in love with a chunky girl because she seems so real but she rejects him because she's disfigured/ugly she's got a facial birthmark, that's it and all around is "this insanely talented 17 year old outsmarts billions of people, manages to infiltrate and hack the biggest corporation in the world effortlessly and then gets ripped as gently caress, conquers the world and gets his dream girl."

The backlash to Cline's follow-up was extremely harsh, because it was essentially the exact same book only copying 70s-80s sci-fi more then anything else and critics and reviewers realized he's a talent-less hack who's completely obsessed with his childhood.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pentyne posted:

It's such a "geek" thing, to get excited over the fact that there's a secret knowledge base that only you and other true geeks will get. The book has some great potential for crazy sci-fi SFX and action, but without the pop culture stuff its a weak, poorly written book. There are also some terrible, terrible scenes in the book because it all takes place in an MMO so people don't see each other for real and the main character falls in love with a chunky girl because she seems so real but she rejects him because she's disfigured/ugly she's got a facial birthmark, that's it and all around is "this insanely talented 17 year old outsmarts billions of people, manages to infiltrate and hack the biggest corporation in the world effortlessly and then gets ripped as gently caress, conquers the world and gets his dream girl."

The backlash to Cline's follow-up was extremely harsh, because it was essentially the exact same book only copying 70s-80s sci-fi more then anything else and critics and reviewers realized he's a talent-less hack who's completely obsessed with his childhood.

Thing is, his references aren't even clever. He just quotes the most famous parts of games and movies and tv shows (never books) and then has his characters say what it was. People literally say "May the force be with you" which is responded to by another character "Oh from Star Wars!" because he is pandering to an audience that he also think is stupid. Star Wars and a lot of his other referances are massively popular and successful, that they are not part of a secret nerd underground. Maybe if he started referencing like Forbush Man or Binding of Issac, he could claim secret nerd knowledge, but having a character fly a Firefly class ship, from the show Firefly is not.

The girl in Armada is even worse, she's a super cool punx chix with a tank grrrl tattoo and a bra strap showing, they go on a date and then she vanishes from the story.

So yea, uh Seaquest. I always was annoyed with the first episode where hacker kid tries to break into the computers of the bad guys, and hen says "They have watchdogs!" and a graphic of a barking dog is on the screen. Hacking in movies, it always looks silly. I do feel bad about him killing himself though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was one episode where Tim Russ and Seth Green appear as students in this school for teenage supergeniuses they send Lucas to, and they're trying to steal all the money in the world or hack nuclear codes (one or the other) to bring about global peace or something.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Wasn't there an episode where they find some lost plays (or some other treasure), and also stop a volcano from erupting by blowing up undersea lava tubes?

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't they handwave all the sci-fi stuff they added in season 3 by them being taken to another planet and then sent back to earth, but 10 years in the future or something.

Funny how that guy who played the slow one and the ex-con with gils are Dom Delouise's sons.

Yeah and the submarine was still useful after all that time as it was still high tech since subs went in the opposite direction tech wise, becoming smaller. Didn't they redo the bridge set after the time jump to make it more militaristic?

pentyne posted:

A lot of people gave him leeway for the pop culture stuff in Ready Player One because it was integrated into the story but then he wrote another book that was exactly the same. Really I think a RPO movie will probably turn out fine because unless he has some kind of crazy control deal a lot of the rougher edges of the story will get sanded away.

• Locked thread