Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is a bad idea to grind on every enemy you see for the global level, because you get to the point where you knock off monsters too quickly and they drop less gold. It eventually messes up the bestiary. It gets harder to pray enough times until you collect everything in a stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is a bad idea to grind on every enemy you see for the global level, because you get to the point where you knock off monsters too quickly and they drop less gold. It eventually messes up the bestiary. It gets harder to pray enough times until you collect everything in a stage.

I think a good way around this is the time attack mode actually, it starts you out on whatever level you're attempting at level 1 but you still keep whatever armor you have equipped. Your armor might vastly outshine whatever enemies are on the map but if you're not over their level you won't straight kick them off the map.

MightyPretenders posted:

Well, there'll be another opportunity eventually. The most appropriate time would be when a certain villager asks whether there's anything you still need to do.

Still a little obscure for me. I'm sure I'll figure something out though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The music is really good (apart from VILLAINOUS DIALOGUE THEME). Reminds me of the Ys games, honestly.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

Still a little obscure for me. I'm sure I'll figure something out though.

Every so often during this part of the game Yusha wonders what Ciel's up to. Those are your queue to go back and check up on her to get some bonus scenes, and to see if a Global Dungeon with the item in question opened up in the Brave Kingdom.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

a cartoon duck posted:

Every so often during this part of the game Yusha wonders what Ciel's up to. Those are your queue to go back and check up on her to get some bonus scenes, and to see if a Global Dungeon with the item in question opened up in the Brave Kingdom.

Hmm. I know when the Brave Kingdom dungeon opens up but I guess I've missed out on most of the scenes. I know checking the goddess statue repeatedly while you're first in the dungeon before the quest starts gives you some additional dialogue but I don't know if it gives you any items. I'll screw around with it and see what pops up.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

It's just Evil Lord Medal 11. This whole situation is a parody of items that can be Lost Forever.

See, if you talk to the statue about 20 times, that ??? person will reveal themselves as the Time Goddess trying to get in contact through heavy interference. You'll then get the 11th medal. As you've noticed though, this requires you to keep talking to the statue before investigating the walls. Because you didn't get it here, the 11th medal is still in the prison, but the prison will eventually open up as a global dungeon with the medal hidden at the end. It goes from the first medal in this chapter to the last.

Alright, I'm sure we're all tired of CIA documents. So instead, let's talk about what an idiot Yusha is. After the current situation is partly caused by his own lack of communication skills, he continues not sharing information that he knows with his old friends. Admittedly, Yashu wouldn't have believed him, but it would have given him something to think about.

While I actually like the tone the story turns to now, with a "Badass Outlaw" following his own goals no matter what anyone thinks, I also think it makes Yusha a worse character. Why does he take Lamde's words to heart?

And while sidequests and puzzles will still involve helping people, how much of that is him, and how much is player initiative that is not indicative of his character?

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 25, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Eh, Yusha still considers his first mission to be helping out anyone in need. That's what Queen Maria told him way back when while he was practicing with Yashu. Granted a lot of it is player initiative but at this point it also serves Yusha's new purpose: he wants revenge. As far as he's concerned he's the only one who can take out the Evil Lords, and each one is just a stepping stone on the way to Lamde. Two missions with one stone!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yusha seems to be dimly aware that he is a Protagonist and thus the only person in the entire world who can actually Get poo poo Done, sadly his awareness of this reality has caused him to make a number of... questionable decisions with regards to interacting with other characters.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Also, why is Yusha a criminal? His girlfriend is now the monarch of the nation. The one dude who thinks he knows what happens has left. loving everyone knows how strangely the queen was acting. Just have Ciel announce that her mother had been replaced by an imposter (Something really drat believable) and hail Yusha as the hero who slew the foul creature. Then send him on his way to murder the evil lords with a heart full of hope, not angst.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HMH2 revels so much in genre cliches it forgets it's supposed to parody them sometimes.

That 'sometimes' is the entirety of Yusha's character.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Bravo posted:

Also, why is Yusha a criminal? His girlfriend is now the monarch of the nation. The one dude who thinks he knows what happens has left. loving everyone knows how strangely the queen was acting. Just have Ciel announce that her mother had been replaced by an imposter (Something really drat believable) and hail Yusha as the hero who slew the foul creature. Then send him on his way to murder the evil lords with a heart full of hope, not angst.
Yusha killing the Elements caused what might be Hell to literally open up and people are aware of this. Dooming the world does that to a person.

Lamde is called a Reaper Lord, one of the elite Evil Lords, and Ultimate Evil Lord's second in command. He is a real rear end in a top hat in the prequel, forcing you to kill a harmless girl, who may make a Liar out of Hero.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 26, 2015

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

HMH2 revels so much in genre cliches it forgets it's supposed to parody them sometimes.

That 'sometimes' is the entirety of Yusha's character.

Yes! This is my problem. There is a difference between making fun of cliches, and indulging in them. Just because you use the horse beaten to death doesn't mean you're making fun of the fact that other people use it too. HMH1 got it right, I think. This one simply... is cliched.

Gameplay still looks fun. And maybe the story gets more fun later?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, the game is still somewhat wordy, but the later parts of the game are more in line with the first game. Any parts involving Yusha though? Don't expect that from those.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
This video pretty much unlocks a lot of the main gameplay mechanics that'll pop up throughout the game. Hero Castle! Formations! Crafting! Titles being useful for something! Now that titles are worth something the second video goes over all the titles I didn't get the first time around in Overture. Evil Lord will give you rewards every certain milestones as you get titles, so it can be worth it! I don't...think there are any other major gameplay changes after this, aside from playing with the format.

6: Hero Castle! The Gang's All Here!/Polsy
Roundup 1: Overture Titles/Polsy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Hero Castle can dash, but it has to defeat a lot of enemies (big or small, doesn't matter) before it can do so. It gets more powerful with each enemy it defeats, so when it finally enters the "running" animation, you can start dashing around with it. And I believe it doesn't cost the Hero Castle HP to do so.

Also, lots of cameos from the 1st game in this one. Degash was an Evil Lord in the first game where you fought his foot (which was also his weak point.) He couldn't really fight back since his whole body was stuck in one of those Evil Lord castles. Francisca was also another Evil Lord that showed up in an endgame stage. You had to get some powerful weapons before she stole them for herself, but she wasn't really that important. Kind of jarring at the point where she showed up in Hero 30. Evil Lord (the character) was one of the playable characters in the 1st game, and has his own game mode. Millenia is his girlfriend that got cursed to turn into a bat.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Hero Castle dashes sooner if it has a high speed stat. When it gets more advanced and loaded down, you need to hit more monsters before it goes full speed, but it doesn't matter that much.

Evil Lord started out as an Evil Lord, who tried to destroy the world because Millenia was held hostage by Noire, an immortal who cursed her and who taught the Evil Lords the Spell of Destruction. Millenia was bullied for having purple hair and ran from her town later meeting Evil Lord. Evil Lord loves the color purple and she had purple hair, so they got together.
His story mode started a hundred years (GE 200) after the Hero went for an eternal sleep. Evil Lord was an RTS mode where he can summon multiple tiers of monsters depending on his mana level. That is why he summons ghosts, giants, and huge snakes to fight for him during the intro. There were optional stages where he can control a number of monsters who performed some gimmick for their proper stage. He hated the sun and did all his missions before he would get sunburned. He also defeated Noire, but Millenia was still cursed.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Evil Lord 30 is also the source of one of my favorite put-downs in the game, when confronted by the evil minister Evil Lord calls him out as a miserable excuse for a face :allears:

So I found out something secret about the Knight's bent sword that I picked up in Overture from the heirloom shop! If you're defeated in battle, you'll start again from the left side with full health. Much like Sage revived Knight whenever he was defeated, Knight's sword will let you continue fighting!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Evil Lord laughs in your face if you say no to the tutorial.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Since I haven't seen it mentioned in the video (yet, still in the middle), a fun mythology fact!

Ultros is a corruption of the original Greek Orthrus, who was a two-headed dog that was brother to Cerberus.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Since I haven't seen it mentioned in the video (yet, still in the middle), a fun mythology fact!

Ultros is a corruption of the original Greek Orthrus, who was a two-headed dog that was brother to Cerberus.

This makes significantly more sense than what I figured was a Final Fantasy 6 reference. But I guess this is the wrong chapter for that anyway. I don't suppose Rina is also tied into Greek mythology somewhere, or that Orthrus has his heart stolen by music?

I'm working on a title roundup for Judgement now, are the audio levels good? Text speed okay? Anything I might need to change? :v:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Orthrus mostly ended up as a minor antagonist in the Labors of Heracles. One of the latter demigod's adventures had him being tasked with stealing the cattle of the three-bodied giant Geryon, and those same cattle were guarded by Eurytion (himself a demigod son of Ares) and Orthrus. And funny enough, Heracles found out that killing Geryon/Eurytion/Orthrus was the easy part; herding the cattle back to Greece was the more difficult part after a gadfly scattered them.

As for having one's heart stolen by music, Orthrus's brother Cerberus (or Kerberos) was entranced by Orpheus when the latter journeyed to the underworld to find his wife Eurydice. But I'm guessing that particular connection is a bit far-fetched for this game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

NGDBSS posted:

As for having one's heart stolen by music, Orthrus's brother Cerberus (or Kerberos) was entranced by Orpheus when the latter journeyed to the underworld to find his wife Eurydice. But I'm guessing that particular connection is a bit far-fetched for this game.

Is this a :thejoke: I'm not getting (likely possibility)? Because it's pretty obviously just that reference considering Orpheus used a Lyre (kind of like a small harp).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is this a :thejoke: I'm not getting (likely possibility)? Because it's pretty obviously just that reference considering Orpheus used a Lyre (kind of like a small harp).
The thing is that both the harpist and the mythological dog in question are distinct from the original myth, so I'm not certain that this game is consciously attempting to make such a connection. (Otherwise they might have named the dog Kerberos, for instance.)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

NGDBSS posted:

The thing is that both the harpist and the mythological dog in question are distinct from the original myth, so I'm not certain that this game is consciously attempting to make such a connection. (Otherwise they might have named the dog Kerberos, for instance.)

You mean like how the evil lord of that level was named Cerberus?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's a thing and not a thing I suspected to begin with. But wow, that's a level of thought I didn't expect, having Cerberus and his brother in the same map. This game has a lot of really surprising depth (I think) as long as you can power through the story.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
You don't have to exit Hero Castle to go into villages, and in fact not doing so puts you back in control of the castle the moment you step out of the village. Handy for saving those couple extra seconds. It's also probably worth mentioning that small enemies you stomp with the castle don't give any gold or EXP.

Zozaurus' whole exploded corpse look is pretty disturbing...

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

dscruffy1 posted:

This makes significantly more sense than what I figured was a Final Fantasy 6 reference. But I guess this is the wrong chapter for that anyway. I don't suppose Rina is also tied into Greek mythology somewhere, or that Orthrus has his heart stolen by music?

I'm working on a title roundup for Judgement now, are the audio levels good? Text speed okay? Anything I might need to change? :v:
The funny thing is that Ultros in FF6 is probably also supposed to be Orthrus, despite the disconnect. Square liked using names like that even when they didn't fit.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You mean like how the evil lord of that level was named Cerberus?
Somehow I forgot that part and just focused on Ultros/Orthrus. :downs: At some point I should probably pick one of these games up, since the LP of the first was rather intriguing.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Cheez posted:

The funny thing is that Ultros in FF6 is probably also supposed to be Orthrus, despite the disconnect. Square liked using names like that even when they didn't fit.

In the original Japanese, Ultros was Orthrus. And Chupon was Typhon. Traditionally, Typhon was a father of many monsters, including Cerberus and Orthrus.

That said, I feel like it was a double reference, both to the FF6 character and the original myths.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So yeah there's a good few callbacks to Knight 30 in this mode. There's a few from Hero 30 too but those don't count.

7: Knight 30 Reunion! A Knightmare!/Polsy

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If the sprite is anything to go by I'm reasonably certain that Bullwood is still a woman. So the translation team might have messed up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kurieg posted:

If the sprite is anything to go by I'm reasonably certain that Bullwood is still a woman. So the translation team might have messed up.

There's quite a few inconsistencies between some of the names, so that's probably the case.

The Black Knight Lord Zain was one of the higher ranking Evil Lords in the first game (he also had good stage and boss music.) His stage played out pretty much the same way, except in HMH 1, party members were exclusive to a stage instead of sticking around. But that was one of the stages they rejoined you in, so battles were pretty much sprite clusterfucks instead of being limited to 5 people.

Grillade or rather Grillard (hooray for inconsistent translations!) was an antagonist in Knight 30, a game mode where your goal was protect someone called the Sage with Knight for 30 seconds in each stage. He was under the control of Rosier (Rosia in this game), who was the main villain and wanted to play with Sage. Eventually he snapped out of it and helped out Knight and Sage.

Bullwood was a girl in the first game, and any Knight 30 stages that had her in it were pretty dangerous. She worked for Rosier, and got jealous that she wanted to play with the Sage, so Bullwood wanted to destroy them. She's strong to the point where if she hits Sage or Knight, they got one shot, and if that happened to Sage, you failed the stage instantly. Anyways, Knight and Sage eventually killed Rosier, who Bullwood was trying to get revived in that stage.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Can you got the second floor of your castle?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kurieg posted:

That was one of the issues I brought up with them before and I was nicely told to gently caress off. They (and some of the community) probably didn't like all the reports I brought up. Probably pissed about the whole HMH fix they promised and never delivered.

Bart Roberts III
Jun 28, 2008
Okay, the opening events of that continent made putting up with Yusha so long kind of worth it. :allears:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

cokerpilot posted:

Can you got the second floor of your castle?

Can't believe I forgot to show it. You can, but there's not much there at the moment. I believe your allies hang out on the first floor and then the second floor is completely empty.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

Can't believe I forgot to show it. You can, but there's not much there at the moment. I believe your allies hang out on the first floor and then the second floor is completely empty.

You're wrong. Yusha's allies all hang out on the second floor, except for the two who have roles on the first.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The Wind Towers are probably a reference to Dragon Quest 2, where there are two towers named the Dragon's Horns on either side of the river, and you have to climb to the top then jump off of them whenever you want to cross it. Shortly afterward, you get the ship so it's not a problem anymore.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

MightyPretenders posted:

You're wrong. Yusha's allies all hang out on the second floor, except for the two who have roles on the first.

I've been overseas for a while so I got it right somewhere. All of the merchant roles hang out on the ground floor, your current allies for the chapter will hang out on the next floor up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kurieg posted:

Bullwood does have a little :biotruths: pointing it out.

Knight 30 was a very slow mode where you pick up the Sage and drop him away from dozens of monsters. You are almost always surrounded by a screen full of them and you have to hit them with junk to knock them away. It is a survival horror mode with crafting and I hated it for being so slow.

• Locked thread