Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yashu was screwt the moment he grabbed the soul eating demon sword; so long as that thing is messing about with his head he will never realize that Maria is both not dead and has been with him the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I take it there was nothing of value in that one town you did not visit in manual labor chapter.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Haha, I forgot about the ship sinking after just one square. Even the cliches and tired plot elements come at a breakneck pace!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm also super glad to hear people are enjoying this chapter more. I'm still not sure why they decided to go with SUPER DUPER SERIOUS as the first two chapters, it's a lot of plot dump and not a lot of fun to start your game off on. I mean, the gameplay is still solid! It's still Half Minute Hero! But the story emphasis is admittedly rough and heavy-handed. Hopefully people continue to enjoy this chapter, it has what's probably my favorite quest in the game. Not to mention in spoofs a few jRPGs that I'm a fan off. But that's not for a while yet!

It's really jarring since the whole super serious stuff and :words: sets a really bad first impression, and then suddenly the game goes back to HMH1 levels of goofiness. Like it barely went into Yushia's backstory and just opted for footnotes when something like that came up, where in Yusha's case, the game could not stop with the exposition and flashbacks.

I got a laugh out of the whole sinking after moving one square line. I missed the more goofy moments.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I feel like what they were trying to do was parody serious RPGs and the like. With Yusha playing as some sort of straight man to the silliness of the situation. That said, it did kinda fall flat since there wasn't really enough silliness to balance the straight man gag.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If it were possible to beat Athena at full speed, you would need to be somewhere in the triple digit levels for it, because she will knock you off the screen if you survive long enough.

I don't care for Yashu at all and will hate his guts the whole game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

If it were possible to beat Athena at full speed, you would need to be somewhere in the triple digit levels for it, because she will knock you off the screen if you survive long enough.

I don't care for Yashu at all and will hate his guts the whole game.

It's possible, but your level needs to be super high, and you need top tier equipment. Nothing really happens aside from resetting her money again, so it's not really worth it.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
That underwater level triggered my Gobi related PTSD from the first Breath of Fire. The fish guys even looked similar too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Considering that this game is purestrain JRPG Tropes, there is roughly a 999% chance that the hooded figure is a timelocked Hero 30 Hero. Though I can't remember anyone angelic in the first game to have been his theoretical wife.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's possible, but your level needs to be super high, and you need top tier equipment. Nothing really happens aside from resetting her money again, so it's not really worth it.
It is something to do when you are busy hunting all the optional super bosses. More humiliation dialog.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
"Oh come on! We haven't even sailed 1 square!" cracked me up. I am loving this adventure.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

you missed on an item by not talking to the Merman Father after you rescue all the kids.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Are you ready...to start...WEAPON CRAFTING?

13: The Beastmen God and the Demon!/Polsy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Time Goddess just ditched Knight and left him in the Hero Castle for 200 years. That's cold.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Although I'm pretty certain it just looks like some sort of classic legendary sword, I wonder is Yashu's sword is also a reference to the old NES game Demon Sword?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Although I'm pretty certain it just looks like some sort of classic legendary sword, I wonder is Yashu's sword is also a reference to the old NES game Demon Sword?

It's based on a real sword, actually. So yeah, it's probably just an Excalibur-kinda situation and the developers liked the look of the sword.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
My character in the last game was glitched and named You. It made the script sound sillier with twice the uses of You in a sentence.

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Time Goddess just ditched Knight and left him in the Hero Castle for 200 years. That's cold.
It was his choice to be there. Though him still being a whiner is not helping.

What happened to the land that Hero Castle kept getting buried over a few centuries? Does that make that continent look like some multi-floored dirt building with each passing century?

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Probably something along the lines of leaving it in hell didn't help.

And from the way Knight talks, I think there was a volcano, maybe some flooding...

Essentially, if you need somewhere to lay low for a couple of centuries, don't hang out in Hero Castle.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Or do because hero castle is INVINCIBLE

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I don't see Evil Lord and the others complaining about living in a sweet-rear end, multi-layered fighting castle. Knight just loves to whine.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Hero Castle, and some heroes, are invincible.

Not everyone is.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's time we finally discovered the Evil Empire's plans.

After dodging a mountain or two. And solving some FIENDISHLY TOUGH QUIZ QUESTIONS.

14: The Empire's True Plan!/Polsy

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, alright. The ellipses joke has finally come to full fruition. I might be ready to forgive the game now.

Immediately followed by...come on game, that's not even subtle. :v:

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 13, 2015

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

On a completely unrelated note, do you plan on showing off the DLC quests? They run slightly differently depending on when you do them. (Unfortunately, Revolutions' DLC is pretty terrible.)

That last mission seemed to be drawing on the Survival Horror genre, particularly with how you're killed instantly the moment you make a wrong turn early on.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

MightyPretenders posted:

That last mission seemed to be drawing on the Survival Horror genre, particularly with how you're killed instantly the moment you make a wrong turn early on.

It's quite similar to a lot of Japanese RPG Maker horror games, which rely heavily on chases with split-second choices to avoid instadeath.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

MightyPretenders posted:

On a completely unrelated note, do you plan on showing off the DLC quests? They run slightly differently depending on when you do them. (Unfortunately, Revolutions' DLC is pretty terrible.)

I didn't know they ran any differently at all depending on when you did them. I plan on doing the DLC for Revolution before the final mission, I'll probably do the same for the next chapter.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, alright. The ellipses joke has finally come to full fruition. I might be ready to forgive the game now.

I forget where I saw it, and I know I saw it recently, but I've taken to seeing ellipses in RPGs as flatulence. It makes Yusha so much more fun.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

If Sylvira and Tetsu aren't party members yet, they don't show up and you'll need to use different methods to get to the end of the levels. If Athena isn't present, you can't get a certain title in the final level, which doesn't even unlock until Geezer joins.

I tried to get them out of the way early, then saw the full list of titles.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 13, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

MightyPretenders posted:

If Sylvira and Tetsu aren't party members yet, they don't show up and you'll need to use different methods to get to the end of the levels. If Athena isn't present, you can't get a certain title in the final level, which doesn't even unlock until Geezer joins.

I tried to get them out of the way early, then saw the full list of titles.

Ah, yeah. That's why I'm waiting for the end. It'd be sort of a waste otherwise.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, just how many continents does this world have?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Carbon dioxide posted:

A lot.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Calling them continents is the game being generous. Most of these places are smaller than Rhode Island or Scotland.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

This game doesn't do 'subtle' :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MightyPretenders posted:

They were first available to me when I was level 200. At least that was added content compared to what we got in the last game.

That last mission just plain sucks. Running can get you killed.

Half-Minute Hero for the PSP had a lot of content that didn't make the cut during its port to the console or PC. Entire missions, post-mission fluff, and many enemies were removed. The ports did get some new ugly graphics option and a couple down-sized missions that changed Evil Lord, Princess, and Knight 30 missions into the same type as the Hero 30 missions. The Xbox version only had the single mission modes involving Hero (several missions), Evil Lord, Princess, and Knight modes, available under the new graphics option. The sound test mode, art gallery, and bestiary were also removed. Online MP and achievements were added.

The PC port had all the character 30 modes available including the single mission new style modes from the Xbox. Valhalla Knights and Another Goddess were still missing from the PSP version. The sequel fared much better this time around.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You can access the DLC at any time through a Goddess Statue warp. Level doesn't matter. Of course, tackling them right away will probably make it hard to complete them, since the game expects you to be at a decently high level for those.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Funfact about that last mission, if you circumvent the fat researcher you can wait a bit before entering the next area to see what happens when the monster catches up to him. Found that out accidentally on the umpteenth time I went through that level to replace weapons. The ones there tend to get used a lot in weapon crafting.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Gotta love that excessive attention to detail :allears:

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

I do love the idea of the mysterious silent warrior just having a mysterious silent speech impediment, though. :allears:

We don't get this dashing fella's concept art until we learn his true identity, so I'm going to preempt Scruffy and post his art now. Mostly because I love the contrast between his dorky sprite (and character) and his cool, grizzled art.
[REDACTED]

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 14, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I dunno if it's really okay to be posting that this early.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Aw, geez. I figured censoring it would be enough. Probably should have asked first, in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's not like you even need to link anything spoilery when Geezer is right there in the picture in the OP.

• Locked thread