Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Welcome to the OOC thread. The game thread is right over here.

The Islands are suspended in the sky by the branches of the World Tree, which grows up through the Lower Cloudsea. There are dozens of Islands, all with different climates and cultures, high and low on the tree. Atop the World Tree is Sola, an orb of brilliant, life-giving light, this world's sun. Sola drifts in and out with the seasons--it is far away in the winter, and closer in the summer--and is covered by the topmost branches of the World Tree at night. There are stars in the sky, but no moon, and nobody knows what is out in the heavens.

This is where you live. For as long as anyone can remember, everyone has lived on the Islands. Everyone knows there's a Surface, of course, down by the roots of the great tree, but if anyone has seen it, they've never returned to tell the tale. When the Lower Cloudsea parts, you can sometimes see the World Tree's roots disappearing into a vast ocean of blue water. Everyone knows something awful happened down on the Surface many centuries ago, but nobody can agree on what it was. Scholars do seem to agree it had something to do with dragons, but seeing as nobody's seen a dragon since then (at least, nobody with any credibility), nobody knows why, how, or what. Most people who care have their pet theory.

High above, the Upper Cloudsea, made of evaporation from the Lower Cloudsea, provides life-giving rain and occasional shade from Sola's light. And at night, Sola is covered by the highest branches, so only a few tiny points of light escape. High above Sola there are stars, but no moon. Nobody knows much about what else lies out there, high above. At least you can see it, unlike what lies below.

The People of the Islands

Most people are just folk. They're mostly what Earthlings would call "human," but everyone has their quirks. A guy with pointed ears and webbed feet? He's folk. That lady over there with leaves for hair? She's folk. That short fellow with the big, mossy beard and the huge muscles? He's folk, too.

The kraai, hailing from the higher Islands and from the frigid desert of Nocturne Island, were well-known traders back in the time before solar-powered flying machines became common. While they're too heavy to fly, they can glide on wind currents between the Islands, and are well known for their weather magic. These days, flying machines have damaged their niche in the Islands' society, and many have taken up other work. The singular form of kraai is kraa.

The tuugak are an amphibious people who are native to Islands on the Lower Cloudsea. They ride cloudskimmers and catch wing-fish, sometimes even hunting massive skywhales for their valuable blubber. People generally like the tuugak. The pictured one is a bit slim. I bet he works out. Most tuugak tend to be portly people indeed. Tuugak is both plural and singular.

The bavenn are incredible climbers. They're native to higher Islands, much like the kraai, and are herbivorous. These days, they're often employed as bark-miners, stripping the quickly-growing, very tough bark from the World Tree, which is then used like metal (which is somewhat rare on the Islands). The bavenn have been victims of prejudice in the past--their slow-moving ways often have them caricatured as stupid or foolish. Things are looking up, though, and many bavenn can be found in various jobs across the Islands. Bavenn is both plural and singular.

Solar Power, Bark Weapons, and Shine - The Economy of the Islands

One of the most important advances in technology is the ability to magically capture Sola's light and use it to power machines. This is most often used to create flying machines of a massive variety of shapes and sizes. Often, the solar veins are in the wings, and generate lift (or even cause the wings to flap!) when exposed to Sola's light. At night, people use sunstones, which are able to soak up Sola's light during the day and release it when activated. They don't last long, though, so many machines are of limited use at night or below the Lower Cloudsea.

The World Tree's bark is an extremely important material. It is exceptionally tough and able to hold an edge, so it's used for many tools, including weapons and armor. As an added bonus, it grows back easily. The bark from high up the tree, called highbark, is more easily accessible, but isn't as tough. Highbark is cheap and usable, but not a truly great material. Lowbark is much more dangerous to acquire, as monsters are more common on the lower Islands and branches, but is tougher and more durable.

The currency of the Islands is called shine. It consists of small points of solid light that can be found in the bark high up the World Tree, near Sola. It's valuable because of its limited quantity and because it is used to make solar powered machines and sunstones.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Draw Maps, Leave Blanks

Consider the above post my map. Anything that's not in there? That's a blank. Go nuts.

Your Character

Make an adventurer! I'm looking for four awesome players. Some notes:
  • We're starting at level 1, but with a bonus: you get one Advanced Move from the level 2-5 list for free right off the bat. I'm just nice like that.
  • All playbooks are allowed, with a few caveats. If you want to play a magical class, I think you'll get a lot more mileage out of the really thematic ones, like the Clock Mage or the Lantern. They'll fit in better with the setting, too. You also might want to avoid the default playbooks, as they tend to be outshone by the flashier ones that third parties have made.
  • Reskin all you like; just make sure you tell me which playbook and moves you're reskinning.
  • You can be any of the races above. If you have an idea for another race, go ahead and make the character and include a little write-up of your new race.
  • Include a portrait and a paragraph or two about your character. It doesn't have to be a biography or anything--it can be a description from their point of view, a short narrative about them, anything that strikes your fancy.
  • The tone is probably going to be fairly light-hearted--this is a colorful world full of colorful people. We're going for high adventure here! That said, I probably won't accept a character who's just a straight-up joke character, unless they're just the funniest thing in the history of funny.
  • There's no starting location or adventure in mind. We'll determine all that once we have a roster of characters, which is also when we'll write up Bonds. So go nuts! Just make sure your character is an adventurer!
Also, please include answers to these cool questions for cool people! For extra points, answer them in-character.
  • What's the most interesting place you've been to on the Islands? What made it so interesting? Did you like it? (Here's an example, which is canon: Nocturne Island, a desert island that is shielded from both Sola's light and rain from the Upper Cloudsea by an incredibly thick canopy. It's a desert of perpetual night and perpetual cold. Yours can be more or less outlandish than that. Have fun!)
  • You've traveled far from home and far from safety. What are you looking for? What is it you want?
Get your applications in by Sunday, August 23 at 11:59 pm CST (that's 4:59 am GMT for reference). I'll look 'em over and pick the players a day or two after that, and then we can get started!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 19, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reserving this one, just in case.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm totally down. Will put up an app tonight.

I have a couple concepts, mainly the goblin trapmakers which leads me to the question:

How do you feel about reskinning and/or substitutions?

Because I'd want to swap a starting move if you're cool with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's perfectly fine, and it reminded me to add something to the second post: we're starting at level 1, but you can pick one advanced move for free right off the bat.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Harrow posted:

That's perfectly fine, and it reminded me to add something to the second post: we're starting at level 1, but you can pick one advanced move for free right off the bat.

Oh. In that case I might not even need to swap! Expect my app tonight.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Down for this, but I am currently in Vegas, so building a character sheet is a little hard atm.

Concept: a summoner that draws and binds spirits of the tree to assist him.

Name Navarr
Race Folk
Class Summoner

STR: 8 (-1) DEX: 13 (+1) CON: 15 (+1) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 16 (+2) CHA: 9 (+0)

Damage 14
Armor 0
HP 23/23
Weight 4/16

Appearance
Wise Eyes
Messy Hair
Travellers clothes
Tattooed, wooded body

Drive Freedom
Use your powers for personal gain

Background From the heartbeat of the tree
When you have at least 1 pact and you dismiss one spirit to summon another, take +1 to your Summon roll.

Starting Moves

Forms of the formless
You have 1 2 spirits with 4 agenda points, they have the following traits.

Tarkana, Nature's Wrath
  • 1d8 damage
  • Large: is as large as a large horse-drawn carriage (horses included)
  • Sacred(the tree): the spirit represents something that most cultures revere, and entitles you to respect or hospitality of your bond with it is discovered.
  • Warlike: Add the forceful tag to the spirit's attacks.

Cassandra, the Tender
  • Size of large horse.
  • 1d8 damage
  • Healing: Spirit can be commanded to heal an amount equal to its damage.
  • Elemental (Plant): the spirit can create, destroy or manipulate objects or forces within its chosen element.

Summon

When you attempt to give physical form to one of your spirits, dismiss any spirits previously summoned with this move, lose all pact, and roll +wis. On a 10+, your spirit is summoned and you gain 2 pact. On a 7-9, same, but the spirit emerges with some defect or imperfection. Make this move at -1 if you attempt to summon the same spirit multiple times within several hours.

Command
When you issue a command to a summoned spirit, roll +pact. On a 10+ the command is executed without issue. On a 7-9, choose one. On a miss, lose 1 pact in addition to other outcomes.

• Your spirit is wounded or fatigued, lose 1 pact.
  • Your spirit misinterprets the command or executes it a little too vigorously, causing collateral damage or unintended side-effects.
  • Your spirit draws unwanted attention to you or to itself.
If you would lose pact and have none, the spirit is immediately dismissed.

Advanced Moves
Practiced Summoner
Gain an additional spirit with a number of trait points equal to you other spirits.

quote:

• What's the most interesting place you've been to on the Islands? What made it so interesting? Did you like it? (Here's an example, which is canon: Nocturne Island, a desert island that is shielded from both Sola's light and rain from the Upper Cloudsea by an incredibly thick canopy. It's a desert of perpetual night and perpetual cold. Yours can be more or less outlandish than that. Have fun!)
There's this incredibly massive lake in the nook of two branches about three-quarters the way up the tree. It's surrounded by the thick branches which make an enormous windbreaker so the lake is as still as glass. It's an absolutely incredible sight to see. The water is pure, seemingly without contamination, which is why it is called the Purelake.
I love it there, there is a kind of serenity that you achieve when you live around the lake. I once thought to settle down there, but there is something there that the spirits were wary of. Perhaps another spirit? The spirits dislike intruding on another spirit's domain, and there seemed to be a heavy wariness coming from both Cassandra and Tarkana, more than is usual from our travels. I believe that one of the First reside there, which makes that place a place of reverence.

quote:

• You've traveled far from home and far from safety. What are you looking for? What is it you want?

I'm looking for a new home. My powers lead to nothing but trouble from the common folk. Oh, they like me well enough when I arrive. I can summon creatures of the tree to assist them, make the harvests grow. But when I run into something that I can't assist them with, they grow more superstious, until such time that they kick me out of the village. So I travel, providing services for a nights rest in an inn. Mostly what I want is a place where I can work in comfort, without being regarded with superstition or awe. Beyond that, all I want us to commune with the tree to summon all of its aspects.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 21, 2015

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm going to make a reskinned druid, will probably post tonight.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Plik

A few members of the Great Expedition. Magnified 50x.

An illustration of the Plik Expedition Caravan.

The World Tree is home to an endless array of sentient creatures, most of which are classified as "Folk". But the divine energy of Solas acts in mysterious ways, as there is apparently a species of sentient fungus living in the World Tree. Millions of these minuscule creatures, which call themselves Plik, live in a 15-foot ditch with a small sunstone in the middle of it. Although each individual has a lifespan of a only a few days, their civilization has a remarkably advanced political system as well as an oral history dating back thousands of years. Recently, the tiny empire made their first encounter with other sentient life in the world (a normal-sized Folk picked up the sunstone for a moment before putting it back), which has launched an age of exploration on an unprecedented scale for the teeny creatures. Several thousand of these brave souls launched the Great Expedition, a mission to determine just how big the world is. These intrepid adventurers shortly made contact with more normal-sized Folk, and have slowly but surely learned to speak their language.

Harrow posted:

You suddenly hear thousands of high-pitched chirping noises, all of them blending together to the point of near-cacophony. Gradually, the chirping dies down and the air is filled with a pregnant silence, as though countless tiny mouths paused to take in a big breath. Then, in perfect unison, many squeaking voices reply,
"We once made a pilgrimage to see the Great Bright Stone. It was gigantic! A thousand of us would have been able to stand on it with room to spare. You could feel the heat and light coming off of it from a hundred us-paces (or maybe half a you-pace) away! We've heard that the Great Bright Stone dims down partway through the night, we wonder why? Maybe someone out there knows the answer!"

quote:

Once again, the countless voices chirp in unison:
"For millennia our culture had accepted that we were the only intelligent life in all of existence. Now we know that we were hugely mistaken; there are lots of things out there that are just like us! Well, besides the fact that they're all unfathomably huge. We are looking for a great civilization like ours so we may participate in a cultural exchange. Think of all there is to learn from one another!"
You hear thousands of tiny creatures sigh in unison before falling into silence.

Character Sheet:

Name: Plik
Race: Folk
Class: Horde

STR: 12 (+0) DEX: 13 (+1) CON: 15 (+1) INT: 8 (-1) WIS: 16 (+2) CHA: 9 (+0)

Damage: D6
Armor: 0
HP: 35/35
Gear: 3/4

Appearance:
Countless Eyes
Slimy Hair
Squishy Skin
Leafy Clothing

Drive: Commune
Establish a bond of understanding with a new species.

Background: Colonists
Your HP is 20+ Constitution

Starting Moves:

Dispersed
You may not use most equipment, including weapons and armor. Attacks intended for a single target deal just one damage to you. Intelligent creatures may notice this advantage and adjust their tactics.

Overcome (CON)
When you use sheer numbers to overcome an obstacle, roll +CON. *On a 10+, you overwhelm the obstacle with ease. *On a 7-9, choose 1:
-Many lives were lost, take 1d6 damage
-It is only temporarily overcome, you must hurry
-The Horde is forcibly split, take -1 ongoing until the horde is whole again.

Split Up (WIS)
When you use your superior numbers to do many things at once roll +WIS. *On a 10+ your many members remain perfectly synchronized. *On a 7-9, take -1 ongoing until the horde is whole again. You cannot use this move if you have less than half your Max HP.

Replenish
Most healing doesn’t work on you, each HP lost means the death of one or more of your species. Instead, whenever you spend some time near a place your species inhabits roll +CHA. *On a 10+ newcomers join and your horde is replenished, regain all lost HP. *On a 7-9 your horde is replenished but first you must do something, choose one:
-Defeat a nearby enemy of your kind
-Show dominance
-Make an offering

Colonize
When you find a place your species can inhabit you may take 2 damage and leave a viable population. If you return later you may use the Replenish move in that location.

Nature’s Gifts:

Climbing: You can go up difficult surfaces with ease and never lose your footing.

Speech: You speak a language outsides can understand and you can learn new languages.

Tiny: You are small enough to fit through the tiniest cracks. You also get +1 forward on the Hidden Horde move

Hidden Horde (DEX)
When you distribute yourself to avoid notice roll +DEX. *On a 10+ you succeed, no NPCs will notice you until you make another move. *On a 7-9 you succeed but become disorganized, take -1 forward.

Gear:
Nutrient rich foods (10 uses, 1 weight)
Fibrous building materials (2 uses, 1 weight)
A Small Percussion Instrument (Simple, Loud, 1 Weight)

Tenebrous Tourist fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 20, 2015

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Labor Golem Terra-7

The LG-T7 was an attempt to make a single machine that could perform any kind of labor. Inside it's clay body, it houses a reservoir of pure, living iron that it can shape into any kind of tool, from simple claws for digging, to powerful compressed-air-powered drills. However, while the project was successful, the intelligence required to utilize such a wide variety of tools enabled it to rapidly bootstrap its way to sapience. The higher-ups in charge of the project saw this as a failure and ordered it to be destroyed, but the engineers that actually built the thing could not bring themselves to kill a sort-of-living being, so they secretly smuggled it out of the factory-cities and far away from those that would see it 'decommissioned'.

quote:

What's the most interesting place you've been to on the Islands? What made it so interesting? Did you like it?
I was created in the great factory city of Efficiency, cradled within the lower branches of the World Tree. Even knowing I can never safely return, I sometimes miss the view of the smokestacks, belching their cerulean foam out into the clouds above.

quote:

You've traveled far from home and far from safety. What are you looking for? What is it you want?
I just want to fulfill my purpose, and be useful to someone.

Astro Ambulance fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 19, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So my goblin concept was originally the Horde playbook, but that's been taken so instead I'm apping a Mechanic from Inverse World, and my extra move is Take to the Sky from the IW skydancer playbook.

Jerret Roarke - Genius Inventor, Drunken Thrillseeker

A little mood music? *from somewhere inside the suit of armor, strange music begins to play* There we go.
Alright. Stop me if you've heard this one before.
A brilliant, devastatingly handsome, but misunderstood Aetheric Engineering genius designs a one of a kind suit of magitech armor. This armor is based on Aetheric principles long thought to be ludicrously theoretical at best and flat out impossible at worst. He uses the suit mostly for traveling in search of new and even more interesting technology, and to rub his greatness in the face of the occasional insufferable jackass who insults him.

So there you go, no tragic past, no epic quest through princess-less castles. I just want to see the worlds, learn new things, and build cool stuff. I'm nothing special. *shrugs* I'm just a man in a can.

Speaking of the can though...

You wanna know about the armor? Of course. Everyone wants to know about the armor. It runs on a proprietary process of my own design involving an Aetheric Spirit Shard (yes it's real, stupid. And it's a little bit like a sunstone the way the world tree is 'kinda big'), imbued with a really very intelligent spirit of air and intellect to help run the systems. I call it Hal, some days he really pisses me off, but man, he knows his stuff. The Shard (and Hal) powers the whole thing, and also allows for some really great mass-negation effects that can...well nevermind, the suit flies, and I've got these great Aetheric Channeling-Repulsors built into it and the whole drat package is done up in the perfect shade of 'Goes Faster' Red.

QUESTIONS:
  • What's the most interesting place you've been to on the Islands?
    Aranis, the cloud city. It's built on some very ancient, and very advanced Aetheric engines. I mean this is magitech hundreds, or thousands, of years ahead of what we know now, and the city has been here for as long as we've had history.

Basically, you know Sharn from Eberron? It's that except the whole drat city is floating instead of just some towers.
  • What made it so interesting?
    These Aetheric engines somehow increase the mass of the cloud particulates, forcing a more coherent bond without sacrificing the- Sorry. I get a little carried away. Anyway, Aranis is built on a massive cloud, and held together by extremely advanced magitech.
  • Did you like it?
    I loved it! Full of people from all over, their stories, lot's of drink and company to be had. Lot's of Shine to earn if you know the right wrong people. It's probably the biggest and most chaotic city I've ever seen. and I've been all over in my travels.
    What do I want? Progress.
    I want to find a way to make sunstones more powerful, cheaper, last longer. I want to break us free from the tyranny of Sola, let our machines work in night just as easily as in day. I want to explore the lower depths...Hells, I wanna see the ground someday.

quote:

Look:
curious eyes, rumpled but fashionable clothes, lanky body
Level: 1
XP: 0/7
Drive: Invention and Ingenuity
Use a device or machine in a way it was not meant to be used.
Specialization: Engineering and Mechanics
Your suit is loaded with redundant systems, and it can take a beating. Add this mark to the Hold Together move:
[ ] Dinged: You take no penalty for marking this.

Race: Human-folk

DMG: d8
Armor: 2
HP: 21

STR 12(+0) INT 16(+2)
DEX 13(+1) WIS 8(-1)
CON 15(+1) CHA 9(+0)

GEAR:
dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight),
my armor (8 weight, 0 weight while worn)
a repair kit (6 uses, slow, 1 weight)
wrench (hand, 1 weight)
adventuring gear Omni-variable utility attachments of my own design (5 uses, 1 weight)
bag of books Aetheric spirit shard "Hal" (5 uses, 2 weight)

Shine: 0
Load: 6/10

Bonds

quote:

MECHANIC MOVES:
Aetheric Powered Armor
  • Aetheric Repulsor Cannons: Near, Piercing 2, 2 ammo
    When you Make Camp, restock 2-ammo.
  • Aetheric Glide Vanes: you can fall any distance safely, and control where you land.
  • Sealed Suit: When in your suit, you have 2 Armor instead of 1.

Hold Together
When you would take damage while you are in your suit, you may negate that damage by marking Stress on your suit.
When your suit takes Stress, mark one of the following:
[ ] Dinged: You take no penalty for marking this.
[ ] Damaged: Your Movement Methods are disabled. The suit can still walk normally.
[ ] Disabled: Your Advanced Systems are disabled. Their bonuses do not apply.
[ ] Disarmed: Your Primary Weapons are disabled. The suit itself can still be used as a Close weapon.
When you Make Camp, you may unmark one stress to your suit. When every box is marked, your suit is completely destroyed, and it will take a week to rebuild.

Let Me See That
When you take a few moments to handle or examine something interesting, ask the GM two of the following questions. The GM must answer truthfully:
  • What does this do?
  • Who made this?
  • What’s wrong with this, and how might I fix it?
  • What has been done most recently with this, or to this?

Take To The Sky (From Skydancer class) Aetheric Repulsor assisted Mass-Negation field
You are capable of controlled flight. You can fly as often and as far as you like, although you may need to Undertake a Perilous Journey if you go too far.
When you fly to get somewhere otherwise out of reach, roll +DEX.
On a 10+, you get where you need to be, no problem.
On a 7-9, you're there, but choose one:
  • A threat is waiting for you when you get there
  • The winds are uncooperative, and you don't get there as quickly as you'd expect
  • Your landing is better described as a crash

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 21, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Posting interest! I'll get an app together asap!

As of yet unnamed Time Mage.

I removed Eternal Witness and put Temporal Armour in its place. So I'll put Eternal Witness into the advanced moves section. Maybe as a symbol of his returning memories maybe.

Advanced move I put in Instant Strike.

I'll probably also edit the background a bit. I'd do more now, but I've got to get to work. Let me know what you think.

- - -
Cy - The Clock Mage

The tree has many strange things, be they tiny mushroom people civilizations, or fish men who live amongst the lower cloud. But the deeper down you go the stranger things get.

Expeditions to get hold of the low-bark were frequent, and many were a way for the young and fearless to make a name for themselves. The mining caravans were often attacked by the strange creatures that shuffled and sprang amongst the world trees bough.

It was on one such expedition that an aspiring foke, his head filled with tales of glory and stories of the rewards one could get from such work. Sighed on without a second thought for the potential consequences.

It did not go well.

The caravan was wiped out and all who didn’t flee shared a grizzly fate. Shredded and consumed in a snarling frenzy of ravenous fury. The cargo was abandoned by the creatures, who had no need of the resources. As far as anyone is aware, it still sits where it fell. On the doorstep of the foul Skrau Kin. Bestial predators that leap and swing amongst the tangled roots. Hunting with an intelligence bordering on cunning.

The Folke, who had run for his life from the descending horde, wormed his way into a crack in the bark. A deep wound that seemed to stretch back for miles. The folke crawled deeper and deeper. There he stayed for what felt like eons. Drinking the sap that dripped down for sustenance out of desperation more than anything else.

By all rights, death should have claimed him, his wounds were lethal, and bled freely. All who had drank of the sap before had either been driven mad, died, or mutated terribly. The life blood of the world tree was not to be taken likely. Nor consumed in such vast quantities.

What emerged from that hole on the other side, was not natural. It moved like quicksilver. Too fast to follow. Even the Skrau, without pity as they were, did not approach. No longer did it bleed blood. But amber sap. It seemed… wrong.

The return jorney should have taken weeks alone. But it was over in moments. As the thing entered the camp it had left so long ago it recognised nothing. Too much had changed. But it knew one thing. It LIVED to protect the denizens of the world tree. That thought burned within it. Drove it forward.

It would find those in need of protection, and it would give itself to the task.

It took time for a soul to fight through that drive. A personality to forge itself from the ruins of its mind. It remembered nothing. Not at first. But flashes of a hint of a possibility of a moment of nostalga spring up occasionally. It took months, but It learned to talk again, to feel and think, to live away from the drive.

And yet for the longest time It walked without a name. It was simply known as The Guard. It rented its prowess for food and shine. Gaining a reputation for always being where it needed to be, when it was needed. The Guard worked this way for a number of years. The passage of time was meaningless to it.

But then the child got involved.

A young folke family needed someone to look after their daughter. They had been targeted by men who were less than kind. They feared for their daughter. The Guard gave his service. Slaughtering all who came to take what was not theirs. The child did what it could to bond with her guardian. Even bestowing upon It a name. "Cy", for the single eye helmet Cy wore.

Years have passed since then. Cy has become a cynical warrior. Driven to protect what is important to him. By which I mean whatever he's paid to. Disconnected from those around him by the amber in his vanes, Cy observes those around him with a fascinated disinterest. He's loyal and will fight to the death, but he's never going to be the life of the party.

What's the most interesting place you've been to on the Islands?

There's an Island which the roots have coiled around. A maze of some of the finest Lowbark to be found anywhere. The problem is that the whole thing is only held together by the roots that have pierced through it. In amongst this Island lies little clearings of self sustaining echosystems. Animals unique to their clearings roam free of predation. All of them produce light of their own. Gardens of living lights dancing and living amongst paradises of flowers and plants that are only found there. The plants feed from the light, and the animals live off of the plants. With the roots as thick as they are it's impossible for predators to break though. Beautiful place. Sometimes I go there and just sit outside and watch them live their lives. So simple, so safe.

You've traveled far from home and far from safety. What are you looking for? What is it you want?

Something happened to who I used to be. Whatever I am now, the Tree must have answers. I will wander until I know the purpose of my creation. Even if I'm a random accident, I am not content to live with this need burning in my chest without knowing why it is there in the first place.

quote:

Name: Cy

Look: Covered Eyes, Ticking Hearbeat, Narrow Body, Flowing robes

Level: 1
XP: 0-7

Drive: Favourable Futures – Manipulate events in a way that favours you or your friends

Flow of Time: Outside of Time – You exist outside of our traditional conception of time. Skipping around just comes naturally to you. When you spend Tick, you may choose to gain an equal amount of Tick instead of gaining Tock. When you Time Skip multiple times, reduce the duration of a long journey down to moments.

Race: Folk???

Damage: D6
Armour: 1
HP: 16/16

STR: 15 (+1)
DEX: 9 (+0)
CON: 12 (+0)
INT: 16 (+2)
WIS: 13 (+1)
CHA: 8 (-1)

Gear:
- Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
- A sword in the shape of a clock’s hand (close, 1 weight)
-Clockwork armour (1 armour, 1 weight)

Shine: 0

Load: 3/8

Bonds:

TBC

quote:

Starting Moves

Tick Tock Adjusting the flow of time is like a fine balancing act - with every skip forward, you need a rewind, and with every slow down, you need to speed up. You begin the game with one Tick and one Tock held. When you spend Tock, gain an equal amount of Tick. When
you spend Tick
, gain an equal amount of Tock. When you take a short rest, you may reset your Tick and Tock to 1 each.
You can spend 1-Tick to do one of the following:
Fast Forward: When you or an ally are waiting for something to happen, it happens immediately.
Time Skip: Move yourself anywhere you could get to by mundane means within Near range. You get there in an instant.

You can spend 1-Tock to do one of the following:
Rewind: Pull back time a moment to take back a single thing you did or said. This doesn't let you re-roll if you go back to before you made a move - if you change what you did, apply the old roll to the new action.

Give Me A Moment When you slow time to a crawl to give yourself a moment to react, spend 1-Tock and hold 2. You can spend 1-hold to do one of the following:
• You walk around - move somewhere within Reach of you.
• You notice something you can use to your advantage.
• Roll +INT to Defy Danger instead of what the GM tells you to roll.

Temporal Armor When you Defend, you can spend 1-Tock to roll +INT instead of +CON. When you do, you can redirect the attacks to anyone Close to you other than the attacker, instead of redirecting them to yourself.

Perfect Timing When you want to arrive somewhere at a certain time, you are always exactly on time. When you Aid Another at just the right moment, you may roll +INT instead of +Bonds.

Instant Strike When you attack immediately after a Time Skip, you deal +1d4 damage.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 19, 2015

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Percival “the Pretty” – The Paladin of Love and Beauty
Kind eyes, styled hair, worn holy symbol, and a thin body.

Strength: 13 (+1)
Dexterity: 8 (-1)
Constitution: 12 (+0)
Intelligence: 9 (+0)
Wisdom: 15 (+1)
Charisma: 16 (+2)

Alignment: Good: Endanger yourself to protect someone weaker than you.
Race: Folk: When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, “What here is evil ugly?” the GM will tell you, honestly.
Max HP: 22
Armor: 3

quote:

Starting Moves:

Lay on Hands (Cha)
When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being , roll+CHA. ✴On a 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease. ✴On a 7–9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

Armored
You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

I Am the Law
When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll+Cha. ✴On a 7+, they choose one:
Do what you say
Back away cautiously, then flee
Attack you

✴On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. ✴On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.

Quest
When you dedicate yourself to a mission through prayer and ritual cleansing, state what you set out to do:
Slay _______, a great blight on the land
Defend _______ from the iniquities that beset them
Discover the truth of _______

Then choose up to two boons:
An unwavering sense of direction to _______.
Invulnerability to _______ (e.g., edged weapons, fire, enchantment, etc.)
A mark of divine authority
Senses that pierce lies
A voice that transcends language
A freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep

The GM will then tell you what vow or vows is required of you to maintain your blessing:
Honor (forbidden: cowardly tactics and tricks)
Temperance (forbidden: gluttony in food, drink, and pleasure of the flesh)
Piety (required: observance of daily holy services)
Valor (forbidden: suffering an evil creature to live)
Truth (forbidden: lies)
Hospitality (required: comfort to those in need, no matter who they are)

Level 2 move:
Hospitaller
When you heal an ally, you heal +1d8 damage.

Load : 7/13
Gear : Dungeon Rations (5 uses, 1 weight), Scale Armor (2 armor, 3 weight), Mark of Faith (A small Orchid that never wilts), long sword (close, +1 damage, 1 weight) and heart-shaped shield (+1 armor, 2 weight).

Percival was born on the island of Rosaria, a gorgeous gem suspended in the sky near the top of the World Tree, so close to the Upper Cloudsea that you simply want to reach out and try touching it. The island is of emerald color, almost always sunny, and covered with fields of flowers as far as the eye can see. Marble arches dot the landscape, and the reflected light in the slow rivers and thin, light, sprinkling rain regularly create rainbows over the horizon. Nevertheless, it is a small and somewhat remote island, a hidden paradise for those who know it, but economically unimportant. The island is also home to a great amount of shrines and temples to various deities that are revered in the World Tree, and the destination of occasional pilgrimages. Amongst these religions stands the Order of the Orchid; an ancient order of paladins dedicated to Satia, the goddess of beauty and love. Naturally, she is considered the patron deity of this little pastoral paradise.

Percival joined the Order when he was on the doorstep to adolescence. He spent his teenage years surrounded by brothers and sisters who, like him, were taught the tenets and commandments of Satia, along with everything there is to know about grooming, manners and charm. Upon graduating, rather than work at the monastery or temples, Percival wanted to travel around the World Tree and perhaps spread the good word about Satia. The Order was confident that he could bring out the beauty and compassion within everyone, and so they bestowed him the name Percival Veil-Piercer. However, soon he became known to the residents of other islands as Percival the Pretty, and that is the name that eventually stuck.

quote:

What's the most interesting place you've been to on the Islands? What made it so interesting? Did you like it?

Ah, my friend. Too many places to name. My home, for one, for reasons I have already told you, holds a special place in my heart. Outside of that, I would say the foamy seas on Amsiel. If my home land of Rosaria is a huge garden, then Amsiel is a huge bath. The seas and rivers there are so soapy and clean, there is more foam and bubbles than water in them! I remember being caught off-guard, there. I was using my own reflection in a cart-sized soap bubble to comb my hair, when it was popped by a playful mermaid. I jolted from how sudden it was, and seeing her mischievous face disappear in the foam, I naturally set chase until I managed to put a flower in her hair. We did not speak each others language, but we didn't have to, for our eyes spoke right to our souls. I spent the afternoon with her, watching a thousand suns set in the reflections created by the foam, before taking my leave and moving on.

quote:

At first, I simply wanted to witness the beauty of the world for myself. But in my travels, I encountered people who were jaded and cynical, who truly believed this world is ugly and rotten. Oh, the people on Rosaria did get upset or sad, but this deep, genuine belief that ugliness and pettiness is this World Tree's state of being? I had never imagined that was possible. As such, I do what I can to restore people's hope, what I can to make their lives just that more marvelous, and show that even the most cynical sailor or snooty aristocrat has a poet, an artist, a lover, a compassionate soul in them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Awesome apps so far. You're all already giving me tons of ideas.

Keep an eye on the thread later tonight (and as the week goes on) for follow-up questions! Everybody gets at least one.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Luka Solaspon

So you know how to summon a fire. You gather a sumptuous feast, little appetizer kindling, then a nice, dry, fatwood steak for the main course. Then you bring out your little shiny dinner triangle and play that *flick flick* "soups on" song and light the way with sparks until they come. But then you just tempt them with all the stuff that you wanted to eat. Seal it in a pot, put it behind bars, maybe they get some drippings, but really they're getting nothing else on purpose. No, I lied. When you're done with them, their dessert is a pail of water and a boot to the face! Where's your sense of hospitality? Anyway that's why I threw some of your food in the fire--you didn't need it all trust me--BUT! It's also all of why I'm here. There's a fire out there that gets it even worse than your little Bon and I'll tell you who.

Sola! Did you know... that every day she has to get so close she can smell you browning, but every night she mercifully, lovingly turns away, when she'd like nothing better to reach down and take a big bite? Imagine the discipline that takes. I can't. But I also shouldn't because I'm eating for two! She sent me down here to taste the whole world for her, then, when my quest is complete, I climb the tree, she picks me back up and I tell her all about it! It'll be just like she was here, except here will still be here afterwards.

Mostly.

quote:

The Immolator
smoldering eyes, ritual scars, manic attitude, crackling voice.

+2 16 Wis
+1 15 Con
+1 13 Int
+0 12 Str
+0 9 Cha
-1 8 Dex

D8 Damage
19 HP

Neutral
Exchange a sacrifice, freely given, for a service rendered.

Salamander Solaspon
Nonmagical heat and fire cannot harm you.

Bonds
I owe Roarke something I think. Sola'd know, I can't remember, and he's not helping! Secrets are so dumb.
Usopp, I will teach you the TRUE meaning of sacrifice: (it's letting me eat all those dumb gadgets from the surface world, they don't belong here!).
Gett has a keepsake from Seluna the Moon Princess that could bring her back, but then she could bring her people back. I need to find a way to get him to give it up...or gamble it away. That'd save everyone a lot of trouble.

Burning Brand
When you conjure a weapon of pure flame, roll+CON. On a 10+ choose two of the following tags, on a 7-9 choose one. You may treat your INT as your STR or DEX in regards to making attacks with this weapon. The weapon always begins with the fiery, touch, dangerous, and 3 uses tags. Each attack with the weapon consumes one use.

hand
thrown, near
+1 damage
remove the dangerous tag

Fighting Fire With Fire
When you take damage, and that damage is odd (after armor) the flames within you come to
your aid. Roll 1d4 and either add that many uses to your burning brand (if active), take that result
forward to summon your burning brand, or reduce the damage by that amount, your choice.

Zuko Style
When you bend a flame to your will, roll+WIS. On a 10+ it does as you command, taking the
shape and movement you desire for as long as it has fuel on which to burn. On a 7-9 the effect
is short-lived, lasting only a moment.

Give Me Fuel, Give me Fire
When you gaze intensely into someone eyes, you may ask their player “what fuels the flames
of your desire?” they’ll answer with the truth, even if the character does not know or would
otherwise keep this hidden.

Hand Crafted
You may use your hands in place of tools and fire to craft metal objects. Mundane weapons,
armor and metal jewelry can all be formed from their raw components. You may unmake these
things, as well, but to do so without time and safety might require that you Defy Danger first.

Burns Twice as Bright
When you channel the flames of fate, you may treat a missed roll as a 7-9 or a
7-9 result as a 10+. This may be a roll you or another character has made. Tell the
GM something you’ve lost; an emotion, a memory or some innate piece of your
being. You may not use this move again until you’ve used Burns Half As Long.

Burns Half as Long
You gain this move when you gain Burns Twice as Bright.
When you sacrifice a victory to the flames of fate, treat any roll of 10+ as a miss.

Your Load is (1/9) 9+STR.
You carry no weapon and need no armor but the flames the burn within you.
You begin with a symbol of your sacrifices past,
Adventuring Gear (5 uses, 1 weight)
2 Healing Potion (0 weight)
10 coins
Well, I already said I gotta taste the world. But it's a little more complicated than that. The way I tell Sola about what's happened is via a sorta smoke signal. Gotta burn up the memories so they can float up to her. I get left with just some coals, maybe some shine, maybe little hard glittery rocks, maybe spent ashes. That means there's something hard for me to taste: the thing that makes people settle and live comfortably, day after day, for the same repetitive experience. The closest I get to that is a little déjŕ vu that lets me know I'm wasting my time on something I've already had and told Sola about. It's funny, because it is my mission to taste that thing and it isn't, at the same time. Maybe because it's so hard to imagine I want it more than anything. Whatever it is.

Basically Luka will have to break their own heart by tasting something so good it eclipses their own mission and give it up to complete the mission. Maybe it's happened before. Maybe it happens all the drat time.

So I jumped off a cliff just to see what it'd be like. It was pretty cool once I learned how to fall faster, otherwise it gets pretty samey after five or ten seconds. Anyway I woke up on this great big rainbow sandbar. White sand, red sand, orange sand, purple sand, green sand, black sand, just all over the place. Water must have all dried up before I got there. No people, no questions or jobs or duties, just all this great sand that made great glass. I made a little place for myself, just out of windows, where no matter the room I can see Sola. And kind of dress her up too. In pink!

I stayed there for a while by myself until I realized I really should get back to my mission. I was... refreshed, and sometimes when I'm explaining for the billionth time that I don't remember you or owe you anything to some pushy folker I think about taking another vacation. Haven't forgotten the way, not yet.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 14, 2015

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

"I see you looking at the ship. Have you ever seen anything so fine?

"The Black Heaven was commissioned from the engineers of the Fortress of Tarn, built from the finest wood of the World-Tree itself. Her engines and cannon were forged from the purest veins of oricalc and skyron mined from deep within the tree, and she was retrofitted in the skydocks of Barsalvo with the finest accoutrements, from our company of mercenary scout-gulls to the saint's sarcophagus that is her figurehead, lighting the way and leading us to profit.

"I didn't commission her, oh no. I came into possession of my love through a week-long gambling campaign, where I ultimately staked the last of my family fortune, our noble title and my own life against her former Captain's marker. It was a gruelling ordeal, let me tell you. It was at the highest table in all Barsalvo, the great Casino-Palace itself. I lost more than I would like to remember in that undertaking, but I came away with the finest ship to sail beneath Sola's rays and enough to replace the eye I had wagered and lost.

"Because one must remind one's self, what kind of captain is afraid to risk everything? Calamity is the balls of adventure, after all. And this cat's eye grants me a rakish look that I'd have difficulty achieving otherwise."

quote:

Name: Captain Godolphin Gett

Look: Man, scarred face, one cat’s eye, fine cloak and captain's leathers, ostentatious jewelry

Str 8 (-1) | Dex 13 (+1) | Con 12 | Wis 16 (+2) | Int 9 | Cha 15 (+1)

Damage 1d6 | Armour 1 | HP 20/20 | Map 1 | Trade 1

Drive: Money and Fortune- Endanger yourself or your ship for the sake of riches

Background: Merchant- When dealing with someone who values money, you can spend 1-trade in place of rolling Parley. When you do, you gain leverage and take the 10+ result for Parley.

Ship: The Black Heaven

Control: +0 | Cannon Damage: 2d6 | Ammo: 5 | Stress 􏰀􏰀[ ] [ ] [ ]
Capable Crew: When your crew helps a player out, that player takes +1. Your crew can help one player at a time, or two players at a time while on the ship
Luxurious: When you would gain 1-Trade from Captain's Share, gain 1d4 Trade instead

Moves:

Sail the Skies: You have an airship with a capable crew, able to sail the skies to anywhere you care to go. Your ship has a Control of +0, 3 Stress points, and cannons (2d6 damage or 1 Stress, near, far). Your ship follows all the same rules that regular vehicles do. When your ship is entirely destroyed and you need a new one, you can get a new one by spending 2-Trade.

When a player or crewman needs to make a roll using the ship, roll + Control in place of any stat you would normally roll for the move. For example, a player firing the cannons would use the Volley move and roll +Control instead of +DEX. When a player with a Wisdom of 16 or higher rolls +Control, they take +1. When anyone deals damage with the cannons, they deal the cannon's damage instead of their damage.

Choose two of the following enhancements for your ship:
Agile: Increase your Control by +1
Capable Crew: When your crew helps a player out, that player takes +1. Your crew can help one player at a time, or two players at a time while on the ship
Combat Ready: Your cannons deal +1d6 damage
Fast: Increase your Control by +1
Luxurious: When you would gain 1-Trade from Captain's Share, gain 1d4 Trade instead
Sturdy: Your ship has 1 more Stress point
Tank: Your ship has 2 more Stress points, but decrease your Control by -1.

Captain's Share: When you spend some downtime in a populated area meeting with local merchants and nobles, gain 1-Trade. You can spend 1-Trade in any populated area except the one you got it from to gain one of the following benefits:
• Make the Carouse move, and take +CHA to the roll
• Fully supply your ship. Unmark all Stress, gain 3-ammo for the cannons, and gain a few months' worth of rations for the crew
• Try to sell it - you get an offer for 3d6x10 coin. You may take or decline the offer, but if you decline, you won't get a better offer in this area

Chart the Course (WIS): When you plan a route, roll +WIS. On a 10+, hold 3 Map. On a 7-9, hold 2 Map. On a 6-, hold 1 Map, but when you spend it the GM will add a complication. When you make it through, lose all held Map. You can spend one Map at any time to choose one:
• Reveal a shortcut or detour
• Point out a safe spot, either to rest, hide in, or travel through
• Spout Lore about an expected hazard as if you rolled a 10+

Swashbuckling (WIS): When you improvise a daring plan as you go, roll +WIS. On a 10+. hold 3. On a 7-9 hold 2. On a 6-, hold 1, but the GM also holds 1 for an enemy to use. Spend 1-hold at any time to:
• Leap around, over, or through an obstacle in your path
• Create an obstacle or distraction an enemy has to deal with
• Divert attention from yourself to an ally, or from an ally to yourself

Gear: (Load: 15)
As many rations as needed
Captain's leathers (1 Armour, 1 Weight)
14 Coin
Officer's rapier (close, precise, 1 weight)
Flintlock pistol (reach, near, +1 damage, reload, 1 weight) with ammo bag (3 ammo, 1 weight)
Adventuring gear (5 uses, 1 weight)

quote:

[*]What's the most interesting place you've been to on the Islands? What made it so interesting? Did you like it?
"I've traded all over this blessed tree, and have seen wonders that could break your soul and terrors that would blacken and shrivel your heart. However, I've truly found that no place has an allure like home, luck-blessed Barsalvo, the Principality of Probability. A city-state of inveterate gamblers, enormous wealth and endless wonders flowing like water and light from one hand to the next at the whim of each hand of cards or toss of dice. Everything is gambled upon in Barsalvo, and of all the cities and islands I've visited, I've seen none so beautiful, so inspiring and dangerous, as Barsalvo. A pauper can become a king in a day. All that is required is for his luck to hold. Truly, a city of wonders."

quote:

[*]You've traveled far from home and far from safety. What are you looking for? What is it you want?
"Wonders. Wealth too, of course, but wonders mainly. I have little interest in the donkey work of the mundane trader. Account books, lines of credit, all these things are necessary evils, but the purpose of my life and that of the Black Heaven are to bring to people true wonders, things that elevate the spirit and set the mind afire. I come from a gambling city, but by necessity it is a city which requires great wealth and wonder to flow into it, and as such, I live by that philosophy."

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 26, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alright, everyone. Here are some follow-up questions for you all! Let me know if I missed you--I think I got everyone.

For anyone who hasn't applied yet, don't worry! Applications are nowhere near closed.

1. Tell me about the First a bit. How old are these ancient spirits? Are they still active in our world today?
2. What are you looking for in a home, Navarr? Tell me about your perfect home.

1. What a noble expedition! What can you offer in cultural exchange? What do you hope to learn in return?
2. How have people reacted when they've met you little fellas?

(Side note: if you want, the Plik can be an entirely new species. If you prefer them to just be super-small folk, that's totally cool, but I thought I'd offer.)

1. Hey, Terra-7. Tell me about the people who built you. What were the like?
2. When was the last time you were helpful to someone? Were they grateful?

1. What is your suit made of? If it's metal, where did you get so much, and how much did it cost you (in currency or otherwise)? Even if it's lowbark or something, tell me about the lengths you went to to get the right stuff.
2. What do you know about Aetheric engines? Do they still use Sola's light (and sunstones) for power? If they don't: why hasn't the technology caught on yet?
3. Sola is divine. How have people reacted to your desire to break free of the world's dependence on it?

1. Tell me, Cy. What did it feel like when the amber changed you? What does it feel like to be you now?
2. In this world, icons and ideas have real power. Many intentionally align themselves with them to tap that power--your story is a bit different. Your icon is the clock--after all, you've chosen a weapon and a suit of armor modeled after it. What does the clock mean to you, Cy?

1. What society, among all the peoples you've met in your travels, appreciates the Islands' natural beauty the most? Tell me about their art.
2. Tell me a story about a time you inspired hope, or at least tried to. When did you most successfully spread Satia's blessings?

1. Most people see Sola as life-giving light, but you know different. People forget how hot, how fiery the light can be. If you could tell everyone in the world one thing about Sola, what would it be?
2. Are there many like you, Luka? Or are you one of a kind? What do people who meet you think about you?

1. Tell me how you lost your eye, Captain. Must've been a real shiny prize on the line for you to wager something like that.
2. Every seeker of fortune has their fare share of wins and losses. Tell me about the one that got away, Captain. What's the thing you couldn't get that you still think about today?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 20, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke
  • What is your suit made of? If it's metal, where did you get so much, and how much did it cost you (in currency or otherwise)? Even if it's lowbark or something, tell me about the lengths you went to to get the right stuff.
    Yeah, I used a bit of 'bark in the joints and as insulation for the repulsors, but otherwise-yeah- you got a good eye, my baby is almost entirely metal. How much did it cost!? *laughs raucously for some time* Oh man, well yeah back home I was very wealthy.
    Notice how I used the past tense there.

Anyways, it's not just any old oricalc or skyron, nor steel nor lead. It's a custom alloy of my own design that blends the strengths of each to create something lighter, stronger, and denser than anything seen before. Hell, that was the easy part. I had the basic frame designed and prepped years ago. It was the Aetheric Shard that was tricky.

You see, legends abound of 'deep and alien sunstones' that possess great power, and yet operate upon principles we don't understand. This is where Hal comes in. I'd spent significant time and expense on a summoning chamber, a really complex one, and one night during a great electric storm I performed the rites and angled the frequencies. after hours the storm began winding down, and I was about to shut everything down in defeat when it happened. A blinding flash of lightning caught him, it, him, whatever.

A small mote of light, looked like a bit of Shine to be honest, at first communication was difficult, Hal could only partially communicate by forming words via vibrating the glass of his enclosure. In short order I devised a amplifier and translation method, and soon after that I was able to confirm the existence of Aether Shards and several other related theories of mine. Soon after I built an Aetherite Detector and set off on an expedition to acquire the artifact.

I won't bore you with tales of skyraiders, cloud leviathans, swarms of shark-birds, and the deadly ruins of a civilization older than anything I've ever heard of. It was hard, people died, but we got it. At the end of it all, Hal transferred over when I integrated the shard into the suit, a few tweaks later and I had all the power I'd ever need to run the thing, and a bonus. I'd learned a lifetime's worth about aetheric mechanics and arcano-harmonic condensing in the process of integrating the suit and it gave me some novel ideas, like recursing some of the aetheric flow back into the shard to create a localized field of reduced mass, lightening the suit's load on me as well as increasing my strength 'relative' to the things around me. And also...I could make this thing Fly!

• What do you know about Aetheric engines? Do they still use Sola's light (and sunstones) for power? If they don't: why hasn't the technology caught on yet?
    Ok, so Aether Mechanics 101: the basic material of everything in the world is energy, at a small enough level of course. and that energy is just simmering all around us, everywhere, that's Aether. Sola is just an extrusion of this principle into our reality. How else do you think something that big and that...on fire can exist within atmosphere without igniting the air or burning everything around it? So anyway the existence of Sola is proof-positive of Aether. But it's positioning is sub-optimal, what with the day/night cycle and other limitations on harnessing that power.

So You need to find something else that can pierce the reality substrate and access the Aether directly, That's an Aether Engine. It taps directly into the Aether for power, completely bypassing the 'middleman' that is Sola.
    My suit operates on that property and the Engines that keep Aranis together are not the only other Aetheric tech I've seen, but they're huge on a scale even I have trouble comprehending.

• Sola is divine. How have people reacted to your desire to break free of the world's dependence on it?
    Well, nobody's gonna throw me a parade, that's for drat sure. *throws back a drink and raises his hand for another*
    It's purely ignorance, superstition, and fear of anything new, that's just the faithful.
    Then you have the sunstone cartels, Shine mining guilds, and other economic actors.

*laughs bitterly* You could say there's a lot of folks who probably want me dead, yeah.

And that's not even counting the folks back home. Tiphares is a fairly advanced citystate in the upper tree. Sits on some pretty decent real estate on a branch, with a few smaller districts and farms out on the sturdier leaves. Good people, great weather. As long as you're not too smart, or ask too many questions.

See, Tiphares also has a dark side. Rogue magitech labs, conducting unethical research, slave labor, illegal weapons manufacturing. All of it under the watchful eyes of the Solaran Church with it's council of nobles. A council of which House Roarke was a formal member.

Like I said, I was very wealthy, I'm better now.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 20, 2015

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Harrow posted:

1. Hey, Terra-7. Tell me about the people who built you. What were they like?
I am told that Alfred Cain, my designer, is one of the most brilliant men in the world. But to me, his compassion was always more important that his intelligence. To be sure, I would not exist if not for his brilliance, but would an uncaring genius have fostered the spark of sentience within a creation meant only for hard labor? Would someone who didn't care have spent all those long nights in secret, teaching me to read and write? I worry, sometimes, that by allowing me to escape he put himself in danger. I know I shouldn't, since he told me he would be fine, and I know he would never lie to me. He always told me that honesty is the most important virtue, after all.

Harrow posted:

2. When was the last time you were helpful to someone? Were they grateful?
I spent some time as a shine miner, down in Khist. I enjoyed the work, but the other guys didn't like me very much. Maybe it was how I would work for free, and never needed to take a break, and was better at it then all of them put together. Who can tell with the meatfolk? That was a joke. Anyway, they changed their tune when I saved all of their lives from a gas explosion that collapsed the whole mine. They tried to get me to celebrate with them, after that, but with no mine to work in I had no reason to stay around. I'm not much fun to party with, anyway.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

quote:

1. Tell me, Cy. What did it feel like when the amber changed you? What does it feel like to be you now?

Pain. Constant, unrelenting. I was crawling through my own intestines as they dangled out of a gash in my gut. That has a tendency to hurt. Cold too. I suspect that's from the blood loss. I believe my heart stopped beating too. I was dead, but I just hadn't realised it yet. I crawled for what felt like years. Miles upon miles upon miles though the heart of the World Tree. Amber sap dripped down all around me, I was downing in it. Every breath I took I was breathing in the sap. It pooled in my wounds. Mixing with my blood.

A hunger drove me forward. Like nothing I can describe. It gnawed at me. I bit into the wood and drank the sap for sustenance. It was thick, like drinking mucus. I could feel it under my eyes, burrowing into my brain. The wood was softer than I was expecting. But still hard to eat. The only time I stopped was to eat. I don't recall sleeping.

The tunnel's shape changed and warped as I crawled. I could feel the walls tearing me to shreds as I squeezed through. But I felt no pain from it. Splinters forced their way into my flesh. Burrowing deep. I felt old, I felt young, I felt full of power, and weak as a newborn. I remember laughing as the flesh of my face melted away like acid.

When I emerged on the other side I had been remade. The Tree had seen fit to heal my wounds, to mould my flesh into something new. The sap had replaced my blood. I could feel time, mailable and flowing all around me. It is a sensation like no other.

But now I wonder amongst the blind. They move as glaciers and flies. I pity them, but I envy them. Their lives are peaceful for their ignorance. Simple for their senselessness. Even though I have learned to control the desire to protect that still burns within me like the eternal sun. It's still there. But I have known no other drive. It's unlike gaining an addiction, because the addicted can still remember what it was like to be without that desire.

Nowadays I've learned to latch onto specific people. Makes me better at my job. But my job does get in the way of my attempts to find out Why. I believe that the tree made me this way on purpose. But for what purpose? Is their an intelligence behind the World Tree? Some design? I hope one day to find out the answers.

Ahh.

Wait.

I was doing that thing wasn't I? Where I talk all disconnected. Little Emily warned me about that. Uhhh.

*ahem* IT'S PRETTY loving GOOD MATE, THANKS FOR ASKING!

How was that? Any better? Huh, looks like I need more work at this.

quote:

2. In this world, icons and ideas have real power. Many intentionally align themselves with them to tap that power--your story is a bit different. Your icon is the clock--after all, you've chosen a weapon and a suit of armor modeled after it. What does the clock mean to you, Cy?

The clock means little to me as a symbol. That would suggest that clocks had significance to my powers. I suppose they do in the same way that a flag has significance to the direction the wind goes. It is mearly a means to measure what cannot be seen. However, as little as it means to me, it means a lot to my enemies. It is a mark of who I am. My calling card. To see these tools on the battlefield is a warning. Fear sets into them. Knowing that death could steal their life on the point of my blade and they could never even see it coming. Fear is a wonderful weapon in and of itself.

Though having a reputation is troubling in its own way. When they know I'm involved, foes put more effort in to their attacks. They plan better. They try harder to make their strategies foolproof. Not that it matters. They will fail. They always do. It just means I have to work harder to compensate. I've always been a fan of an easy job.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 21, 2015

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

(Side note: if you want, the Plik can be an entirely new species. If you prefer them to just be super-small folk, that's totally cool, but I thought I'd offer.)

In that case, I think I'll change them to be their own independent species if it works for you. I'll make a few small changes to my post above to account for it. Also, while I'm thinking about it: feel free to say no, but Plik as described below seems far more WIS-focused than INT-focused. Would you mind if I changed the Split Up ability to use WIS instead of INT?

quote:

1. What a noble expedition! What can you offer in cultural exchange? What do you hope to learn in return?

"We would love to share our understanding of the Thrum with the Folk. Now, we've tried explaining it to a few other Folk and they find it confusing, so please be patient. Basically, all living things (at least all the ones we've encountered) are constantly vibrating. We think those vibrations may be too minute for your senses to detect them, but ours are. Now, the vibrations change based on what the creature is thinking and how it feels. So if you pay close attention to the vibrations coming from another, you can learn about their mood and their thoughts. Eventually, with practice, you can internalize the vibrations of another to experience their thoughts and emotions as if they're your own. And that's what the Thrum is: when everyone in a group vibrates in unison to share their emotions and their thoughts. That's how we talk in unison; everyone in the group simply Thrums so we all know what to say! From what we've learned of the history of the Big World, it seems that there have been countless conflicts caused by people not truly understanding what the others were thinking. Imagine what the world would be like if you all could simply tune in to each other's Thrums!"

The constantly swaying mound of tiny Folk lets out another audible sigh.

"As for what we would hope to learn, it seems that our Great Bright Stone is not quite as mystical and divine as we have believed it to be for thousands of years. In fact, it sounds like the Folk use similar Stones as power sources. In our religious fervor towards the stone, we never stopped to consider its practical applications. It seems that your civilization has much to teach us about the Bright Stones. We also have very little understanding of the Big World outside of Ditch, and we'd love to learn more. For example: it looks like there's an even Greater Bright Stone up above us that shuts off at night just like ours. Is that one mystical and divine? Or is it just another power source?"

quote:

2. How have people reacted when they've met you little fellas?

"The Folk we've encountered were usually incredibly startled. Their Thrums usually indicate fear, surprise, and curiosity. After the first few groups of Folk encountered the entire Caravan and fled in terror, we decided to send some smaller scouting parties out to try and learn the Folk tongue. It may seem complicated to learn an entire language with no basis to start from, but it's actually incredibly easy if you can both hear one speak and feel their Thrum. And as I'm sure you can imagine,

After learning the language, we began approaching people in clusters about the size of a frog to try and establish contact. Between our ability to sense their Thrum and our acquisition of the Folk language, these encounters went much more smoothly. The people we've spent some time with have mostly accepted us as a herd of extremely tiny Folk."

Tenebrous Tourist fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 20, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jimmeeee posted:

In that case, I think I'll change them to be their own independent species if it works for you. I'll make a few small changes to my post above to account for it. Also, while I'm thinking about it: feel free to say no, but Plik as described below seems far more WIS-focused than INT-focused. Would you mind if I changed the Split Up ability to use WIS instead of INT?

Yeah, that's fine. Are there other moves in the Horde playbook that use INT and would need to be switched to WIS as well? I don't have the playbook myself. (It's pretty neat, though!)

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Harrow posted:

1. Tell me how you lost your eye, Captain. Must've been a real shiny prize on the line for you to wager something like that.

"The shiniest of prizes- to wit, my stake. I believe it was the third day of my campaign. I hadn't slept since I had begun, and my luck had been turning sour. In order to keep my wits about me I had been taking a rather serious quantity of ghost vapours, and as a consequence, had several voices other than my own rattling around my skull at the time. I had lost practically everything else- the fortune I had come in with, the separate, but no less impressive fortune I had won, the handful of hereditary titles I had accumulated over the past days and other odds and ends that I sorely missed. My luck held in one respect though- my opponent was famed Rosarian monk, Brother Bettl. Bettl and I had come to a gentlemen's disagreement some years earlier when he had come to Barsalvo to avail himself of its delights, and after several dozen hands of skaff, he was forced to return to his monastery in sackcloth while I had his lovely vestments turned into a rather fetching morning gown.

"As such, the good brother rather had it in for me, which meant that he accepted one of my eyes as a wager. Unfortunately I lost that one as well. I must applaud dear Brother Bettl though, he took my eye, used it to garnish his cocktail, and drank it down right there. A positively brilliant act of genteel barbarism.

"Now, not only did I no longer have a fortune (or two), I had also lost my depth perception. Which was, as you might imagine, a rather galling prospect. But, as I had mentioned before, Bettl's animosity for me meant that as long as I had absolutely anything else to lose, I was still in the game.

"And so of course I proceeded to bet my
remaining eye. The corpulent monk positively drooled at the prospect of blinding his rival, a desire made all the keener by my using his former vestments to bind my wound. After that, it was just a matter of my Pantheon (Lady of Chains, Lady of Storms, Lady of Tears, Lady of Blades, and Sola) beating his Apocalypse Flush (Woodcutter, Fire, Rot, Pestilence and Orc).

"I've not played Brother Bettl since. I imagine that he still hopes for a sequel to the particularly exotic cocktail of that day though."

Harrow posted:

2. Every seeker of fortune has their fare share of wins and losses. Tell me about the one that got away, Captain. What's the thing you couldn't get that you still think about today?

"Well, I did lose my wife in a game of knucklebones, but I believe that we're both happier with the result, so I shan't dwell on it.

"No, when it comes to memories of things lost and opportunities missed, what galls me the most is the thought of my
true love, Seluna, the Princess of the Moon. I'm sure you remember it. The War Against the Moon.

"Yes, I led the
Black Heaven in the war against the Moon when it descended from the heavens and the forces of Emperor Lunos attacked the World Tree, hoping to destroy the World Tree and drown Sola in the waters that feed our blessed tree in his mad jealousy. What a war! What a campaign! The bombardments of the Moon, the united fleets of the nations of the World Tree, united, if briefly under the banner of Sola. It is in battles like these that love can bloom, only to have it shattered, like the Moon itself, Lunos' castle coming apart around me as raced through it, trying to save Seluna, only to barely survive with my own life intact. My heart broke that day as the Moon did, coming apart and crashing to Surface, far beneath the Cloud Seas. Taking my love with it.

"Excuse me, I don't think I wish to speak of this anymore."

Error 404 posted:

Anyways, it's not just any old oricalc or skyron

hey don't you diss my oricalc and skyron :mad:

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 20, 2015

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's fine. Are there other moves in the Horde playbook that use INT and would need to be switched to WIS as well? I don't have the playbook myself. (It's pretty neat, though!)

Thanks! There's one other one in the 6-10 advanced moves section, but I doubt I'll ever choose it. I can copy/paste it for reference if you like though.

Edit:

Eyes Everywhere (INT)

When you spread yourself thin to cover a large area roll +INT. *On a 10+ pick three. *On a 7-9 pick one.
-You perfectly observe everything in the area.
-You are not noticed.
-You don't lose many lives.
-The Horde is not forcibly Split Up.

Tenebrous Tourist fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 20, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

hey don't you diss my oricalc and skyron :mad:

Calm yourself my good man. Should we both be chosen I can assure you I'm entirely in favor of providing upgrades to your ship, if for no other reason than I refuse to live in something that makes my dead grandmother seem spry.

:smug:

In fact, I can probably provide advanced weapons and armor to the whole party, should we come across enough materials and time.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Harrow posted:

1. Tell me about the First a bit. How old are these ancient spirits? Are they still active in our world today?

The First are indescribably powerful, I've never communed with one, and frankly I don't think I ever want to. I would probably go insane or die upon first contact. Even regular powerful spirits need preparation for first contact, their mind is alien in comparison to ours. The First are that, but a thousand thousand times more. As far as I can tell by communing with lesser spirits, the First have been here since the beginning and they used to be the only spirits, there were no lesser spirits. And then everything gets hazy, all I can get from them is that during the same Calamity that destroyed the world below, some of the First were destroyed, splintering there power, which then manifested into the different lesser spirits that exist in our world today. I have no idea of how many died whether it was just the three whose viewpoints I have communed with- or if it was more, who were shattered so completely that their power was unable to manifest into intelligent spirits. You've seen the ones, the little wind spirits that drift amongst a heavy breeze?

As for their activity, I suppose that depends on the First. The one in the Purelake I think is only nominally active, though it could be just the fact that it's mere presence in the region causes it to be altered. There is one, who if it is a First Spirit as I think it is, that is incredibly active. That spirit is Sola. I have not yet run into any Fire Spirits, and I think that it is because the First that they would have formed from is still existing and active in the world today.

Harrow posted:

2. What are you looking for in a home, Navarr? Tell me about your perfect home.
Honestly, I wouldn't want to live in a city, the contact with the spirits is always more difficult to achieve if a bond hasn't already been made. It probably has to do with the amount of noise that is made in a city. Ideally, it would be away from any of the First- particularly the ones on the Dead Branches, finally, I'd like to be around people that don't treat me like I'm their saviour during hard times, and when I can't do enough, treat me like I'm a fraud at best, or suspicion that I'm manufacturing their hardships at worst.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Kor-Atan, 'Chosen Warrior'

"You know, I was destined to be a hero, right? Like, why else would I have these? An age ago I'd've been seen as royalty, as an elite, maybe even something greater... but... but that fell through when those things came about. Born too late I was... born too late... another drink barkeep... this is gonna be a long night..."

Kor-Atan is a kraa, although he is more than that - for he is one of what were known as Royal Kraal. Born with wings that are powerful and strong, and a reactive bloodline to boot, that allows him the capability for controlled flight. Once upon a time the Royal Kraal lead their people, for they had the greatest ability for travel in this world, and that their mastery of weather magic was the greatest of all. But when the flying machines were developed, not only did kraal society fall, but the Royal Kraal suffered the greatest, many became dispossessed or were determined to do greater and greater things. Such as Kor-Atan's father, Kye-Atan, who one day set out - determined to find what he called "The Heart of Stars" some mysterious relic somewhere in the greater skies - or beyond them, thus Kye-Atan was never seen again. Losing a father to such a seemingly meaningless declaration of bravado shaped Kor-Atan dramatically, becoming despondent and easily succumbing to vices that gave him some measure of peace against his tumultuous inner thoughts - having his blood foist a destiny upon him that was no longer applicable, and yet still feeling a yearning for greatness drains a person so. Especially given the nature of his species' loss of fortune due to the advent of the flying machines, some might be tempted to call Kor-Atan a hypocrite for employing a smaller flying machine - but Kor is too much of a pragmatist to ignore such an asset that came into his possession.

But even when determined to strike out his own place in the world, he cannot help but find himself drawn to greater events - even if he is dragged kicking and screaming towards them.

After all, heroes exist for a reason, and fate is mystery. Or at least, that's what he tells people if they ask why he wanders, but the complete story is more than it seems. Although he could have easily fell down this route, from a young age his natural skills combined with his potent bloodline attracted the attention of an organisation known only as The Crimson Plumes, whose goals although somewhat nebulous are ostensibly for the protection and advancement of kraal society through secretive action, whether it is the passing of messages or more violent tasks. Their arguments swayed the young kraa, and after all their directives generally did not require Kor-Atan be often present at their base of operations on Nocturne Island - so he was free to travel the world, either honestly or under a cover.

pre:
Kor-Atan, 'Chosen Warrior'

Look: Narrowed Eyes, Fit Body, Impressive Wings, Longcoat

STR	DEX	CON	INT	WIS	CHA
12	16	13	08	15	09	
+0	+2	+1	-1	+1	+0

Damage  Armor   HP      Load      Level   XP
   d8    2      19/19    5/9       1      0

Means of Flight
Natural: You have a pair of wings upon which you soar, either naturally,
by mutation, or grated into place. Because you fly using your own power,
you are much stronger than other Sky Dancers. Your base damage is 1d8
instead of 1d6

Drive
Personal Freedom: Avoid or escape from trouble without resolving it.
Fear of Harm: Discover a threat, ambush, or trap, and do something about it before it can hurt you.

Bonds
This isn't the first time _______________ and I have danced together.
I have a message for _______________, but they are not ready to hear it yet.
_______________ hasn't yet seen everything the skies have in store for them.
I'm keeping an eye out for _______________.

Starting moves
Take to the Sky (DEX)
You are capable of controlled flight. You can fly as often and as far as you like, although you
may need to Undertake a Perilous Journey if you go too far. When you fly to get somewhere
otherwise out of reach, roll +DEX. On a 10+, you get where you need to be, no problem.
On a 7-9, you're there but choose one:
• A threat is waiting for you when you get there
• The winds are uncooperative, and you don't get there as quickly as you'd expect
• Your landing is better described as a crash

Leaf on the Wind (DEX)
When you dance away from an opponent's attack, roll +DEX. On a 10+, choose two.
On a 7-9, choose one:
• You avoid their attack
• You slip away to somewhere they can't follow you
• You taunt them, drawing their full attention

Eye in the Sky
When you look around from high above, take +1 to Undertake a Perilous Journey,
Take Watch, and Discern Realities.

I've Got a Bad Feeling About This
When you spend a moment surveying an area, ask the GM two of the following questions.
The GM must answer truthfully.
• Where's my best way in, out, or through?
• Is there a trap or ambush here, and if so, where?
• What here is the biggest threat to me?
• What can I see that no one else can?

Advanced Moves

Sky's Grasp
When you hold out your hand expectantly, an unattended object of your choice within Near range 
will come flying to your hand. When you lightly toss something of 1-weight or less, it will float on 
the wind and land exactly where you want it to within Near range.

Gear:

Dungeon Rations (5 uses, 1 weight)

Awesome-looking wings (0 weight, Not Sure If This Counts As Gear)

Angelic Kraal Sword (close, precise, 1 weight)

Light Shield (+1 armor, 2 weight)

Lightweave Armour (1 armor, 1 weight)

A Fighter Plane (see below)
pre:
Fighter Plane
Large, Control +1, Vehicle, Flying, 1 Passenger

A propeller-based sky plane, designed to fit one pilot and one passenger. The elegant design of this plane, 
coupled with the mounted machine gun, makes it the vehicle of choice for ace pilots everywhere.

Propeller Powered
The propeller needs to be wound up by hand before launch, so the plane takes at least a minute of readying
before it can fly – it cannot take off suddenly, without warning. These planes are also fairly frail, and only have
2 marks of Stress.

Mounted Machine Guns (Pilot Move)
When you Volley with the plane’s mounted machine guns, roll +Control instead of +Dexterity. These guns have 
3 ammo when you first get the plane, and it costs 10-coin to restock 3-ammo.

Responsive Controls (Pilot Move)
The pilot’s own skill plays a large part in how well this ship handles. When you would roll +Control with this vehicle, 
you may roll +Dexterity instead.

quote:

Once in my travels I had found a strange spire of pale stone rising from a seemingly eternal fog bank, and thereabouts standing on its own out in the middle of nowhere, not close to any branches. Although it didn't look like it'd been carved, I assume someone worked it in some way as the walls were smooth and you could get inside. Inside smooth passageways went up and down and spiralled around pointlessly, and occasionally vein-like protrusions from the walls could be seen, carrying some sort of weird... liquid.. metal? Not to mention there was this weird vibration and even stranger silence filling the place, somehow. I didn't go that far in because I feared getting lost, that and I felt like I was being watched the entire time. I didn't like it at all, place creeped me out. No good comes of this weird spire. I have a sinking suspicion I might have to go back someday...

quote:

Oh you know me! I just want to enjoy life, see what there is in the world, have a good scrap and maybe a bit of fun! Anything but follow in someone's footsteps...
(Is what I would normally say if asked, but few know that right now I have been tasked with finding someone called 'Bitegyre' and pass a message on to them, one which I keep sealed and hidden and dare not read. What I really want though is answers, after all maybe there is some truth to this 'Heart of Stars'...

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Harrow posted:

1. Most people see Sola as life-giving light, but you know different. People forget how hot, how fiery the light can be. If you could tell everyone in the world one thing about Sola, what would it be?
Sola's actually twirling the planet around like a dance partner, sometimes in closed position, sometimes open. Never too close and never too far, and always out of the way of the other dancers. Sola's a good lead, and trust me you want to be a good follow and stay in the fun zone as long as you can. There's a dumbass church here that wants to try to get as close as they can to Sola. Bad idea. Don't tempt the Sola or you're gonna get burned. But there's an even dumber, if smaller, group that want to break away from Sola. Try to make it "on their own," whatever that means--'on someone else's charity' more like. Anyway that's a worse idea, cause If you burn up enough of the Tree, or the Sea, or the stuff under the sea, doing what Sola's already doing for free, Sola's grip will loosen. And once you let go of Sola, who was otherwise gonna keep you warm for millions of generations, you're dooming yourself to be one of the last. Seriously, leave that one for the great great great etc. grand kids, you won't even recognize what they've become and they actually may need to do what you're talking about now. In the mean time just try to enjoy this drat paradise!

quote:

2. Are there many like you, Luka? Or are you one of a kind? What do people who meet you think about you?
I dunno. I've burned up a lot of memories for Sola so sometimes folk tell me they know me and "hey how is such and such" or "oh no not again" and I feel like they're talking about someone else. But nah, unless someone's playing dress up it was just me from the past. Other people who I'm just meeting tend to know of me and want to check me out or gamble. See, if they've got something new and I burn it sometimes I get some Sola "shine" and split it with them. Sometimes I get nothin' though that's just life no sense getting all mad.

Other, weirder people like to give me a hard time and make me jump through hoops to get something new they heard about and maybe they can get it for me if I'm interested. It's a bunch of nonsense and sideways talk that always means the same thing. I save a lot of time with this handy cheat sheet that I just shove at them.

My favorite people want to work with me to make stuff. Like they've found some metal or other stuff that needs Solaspon fire to become pliable, then heatproof hands to shape. If there's something in it for me I give them my best effort. That's how I got these sweet metal dancing slippers that let me walk around without leaving a burn trail, and ribbons that I can wind around my wispy tail thing just so and make into the illusion of legs or a butt or whatever. They catch the light a little better than the charcoal I used on my top half, dontcha think?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Harrow posted:

1. What society, among all the peoples you've met in your travels, appreciates the Islands' natural beauty the most? Tell me about their art.

I do not know who they were, as I saw the landscape from quite far off, but while I was traveling by airship, the Kraa captain pointed out an archipelago suspended like raspberries in the distance. The inhabitants had carved faces of their folk heroes on the underside of the islands. Moss and vines grew on their heads, and were delicately shaped to resemble hair. I found it quite ingenious, and it surprised me that they would go to such lengths to sculpt beautiful portraits that only the islands below them could see. That takes dedication! I wish I could return there some day and meet the makers, and discover the history behind those faces.

quote:

2. Tell me a story about a time you inspired hope, or at least tried to. When did you most successfully spread Satia's blessings?

Imagine a dusty, remote mining town, populated by bavenn. It was perpetually covered in darkness by the leaves of an errant branch above them, and the local villagers were all just so very sad. I had not intended to stay there, but the place had an uneasy atmosphere to it, and I couldn't help but wonder where everyone was. I found an old bavenn loading his wife and grandchildren on a cart, and asked him why he was leaving. It turned out a group of giant termites had driven the miners out of the World Tree, and the mines were inaccessible. As such, the economy ground to a halt, as none could drive the pests out of the wilting branches. This bavenn could leave, but that was simply not an option for many, and, well... Bavenn aren't the most nimble fighters, you know? So, I told the old man to wait one more day, that I would try to clear out the mines. He told me I should leave and never come back, as the termites were too numerous to handle by myself. His words were upsetting, but I realized they were words of concern, as he did not want to see another life claimed by the infestation. And so, I started going from door to door, patiently telling the bavenn living there of my intentions to clear out the mines, and asking for any help they could offer. Many shut their door before I finished talking, but a few agreed to join me, armed with little more than hunting crossbows or pitchforks. And thus, we went to work, me in the front, while they covered my back, gingerly clearing out the mines, one tunnel at a time, leaving to come back the next day whenever my newfound allies got too tired or afraid to move on. It took us a bit more than a week, but every day, more bavenn joined our cause, until one day, we reached the termite queen and slew her. The villagers were elated, but I did not want to leave just yet. I spent a few more days moving from branch to branch, and tunnel to tunnel, praying for the Tree's well-being, and by Satia, it was as if the wood healed in front of my very eyes! The villagers who were left, decided to stay in the end, and slowly but surely, daily life picked up again. I could not help but notice they were smiling, however. And so I took my leave, and continued on with my journey, satisfied that the branches of the Tree and the village itself were blossoming again.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Not Especally happy with the answers I've given to the questions. I'll revise my answers tonight after work

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Oh man, it's been a while since I played Dungeon World and the setting pitch is great. I was thinking of a Collector as a sort of a mechanical genius (since the Mechanic is more of a mecha pilot type), but I have one thing pending your approval: Can I have the type of resource that my predilection applies to be repair kits? If not, I'll rework my character as something else. :)

quote:

Professor Usopp
"What a strange apparatus! I wonder how it works!"

Class: Collector
Look: Unkempt Hair, Glasses,Traveler's Tunic, Lean Body
Drive: Holding The Key (Keep dangerous things away from those who would abuse them.)
Stats: Strength 8 (-1), Dexterity 12 (+0), Constitution 9 (+0), Intelligence 16 (+2), Wisdom 13 (+1), Charisma 15 (+1)
People: Folk

Predilection:
Mundane
Your Lore stat is +INT.
Your curios are practical in nature - clothing, weaponry, gadgets, food. When you gain this Predilection, choose a type of resource: adventuring gear, weapons, ammo, bandages, rations, or repair kits. When you spend a minute looking through your collection, restock 1-use of the chosen resource.

Moves:

Curiosity
When you put yourself at risk to check something out, roll +INT.
On a 7+, ask the GM any one question related to the risks.
On a 10+, the GM will answer it, as clearly as the circumstances allow.
On a 7-9, the GM will tell you what more you need to do to find the answer yourself.

Keeper of Curios
You keep a collection of strange and rare curiosities, which follow some sort of theme. Your collection is 5-weight, and contains a variety of useful things collected throughout your travels.
Record your Collection's Theme. A trunk full of gadgets and gizmos salvaged from the Surface, all mechanical in nature.
Choose one or two to describe your collection's Look:
Complex, Historic
When you take a few moments to dig through your collection for something useful, describe what you're looking for and what you want it to do. You can have potentially anything on hand, but the GM will tell you one to four of the following:
  • It is either consumable or faulty, and will only work once
  • It was not intended to be used for this
  • It will take a lot of time and effort to use properly
  • It won't work unless you _____
  • The curio's effects are incredibly specific
  • You get something close to what you want, but not quite
  • You'll need help from _____ to use it safely

Wealth and Taste
When you make a show of flashing around a valuable possession, choose an NPC present. They will do anything they can to obtain your item or one like it.

Make It Count
When you use up the last use of a piece of gear, it has +1 to all numeric values attached to it and all rolls made to use it.
When you use a piece of gear without uses, such as a weapon or a shield, you can destroy it during use to take +1 to all numeric values attached to it and all rolls made to use it.

Obsessive Dabbler
Gain one non-multiclass move from any list. Choose the move as if you were one level lower than you are, unless that move is related to your Predilections.
What Makes You Tick (INT)
When you take apart an object using your toolkit, roll +INT. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two:
  • It doesn't take a very long time
  • You don't attract attention
  • You can fix the thing again without a lot of effort
  • You salvage something of value

Gear:
Collection (5 weight), dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight), adventuring gear (5 uses, 1 weight), a catalogue of the strange and mysterious (5 uses, 1 weight), a repair kit (6 uses, slow, 1 weight), an appraisal kit (1 weight), a unique or intelligent item (described below), spare clothing for any occasion, including light armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
Load: 11/14

Hit Points: 15
Armor: 1

Bonds:
  • Jerret Roarke's approach to science and technology is destructive and reckless, but I admire his vision. I wish only that he would apply his brilliance towards peace.
  • Captain Gett has yet to find out why I was so eager to find employment on his ship. I pray he never has to find out.
  • Luka Solaspon is a fascinating creature, but a complete mystery to me. I need to find out what makes him tick.

Professor Usopp is the youngest person to have received tenure at the Arcadian Royal Academy, a formerly place of learning where respected scientists tackle the mysteries of life on the Surface before whatever cataclysm drove people away from it and onto the islands on the branches of the World Tree. Or that's at least what Usopp thought the purpose of the Academy was: as the Professor of Ancient Technology he thought his purpose was to study ancient technology from the Surface so as to find applications that might ease the lives of Arcadians. However, one fateful evening he discovered a file, carelessly discarded by a member of the Royal Secret Service, that revealed that his studies were being monitored and his notes being purposed towards military applications of Surface technology, for use in the King's bid for world domination.

Usopp immediately burnt all of his notes, packed as many of the artifacts he had been studying into his trunk, and in the quiet of the night bought passage to the nearest port outside of Arcadia's sphere of influence. He is now a wanted man, hellbent on keeping the technology that he has studied away from the hands of those who would use it for war.

Traveling with Usopp is Bud-E, so named simply because of the curious nature of the Royal Academy's cataloging system.

A strange little clockwork automaton recovered from the surface, Bud-E apparently possesses some manner of intelligent animus that allows it to obey exceedingly complex orders and thus act as a helper in various mechanical tasks. Usopp even suspects that the little automaton may even possess emotions of a kind, as it has often expressed frustration through furiously rattling and spinning its gears when faced with an insurmountable task. What Bud-E's purpose may have been on the Surface, Usopp has no idea.

Questions!

quote:

When he first fled his country, Usopp's first stop on the way to get as far away from Arcadia as possible was a port city called Skyport, so called because in defiance to common sense it does not rest on the branches of the World Tree but floats in the sky, always in the same place relative to the rest of the world. Usopp suspected that the mechanism which allowed the island to remain afloat was probably a Surface artifact of some sort, and he would've loved to study it more closely but he was rather rushed what with the secret service of his country being hot on his trail.

quote:

Peace and safety. Usopp wants to keep the technology that he possesses (and which even he barely understands) out of reach of the Kingdom of Arcadia, and find a place where he can retire in safety without having to constantly fear for Arcadian agents stalking him. He realizes that this is pretty much a pipe dream as long as nothing is done to stop the Kingdom's expansionist policies, so he is content to just keep on running and maybe experience a bit of adventure on the way.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 29, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
There edited my answers. Much happier with that now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

More questions for people!

Reminder: if you haven't gotten your character in yet, the deadline is Sunday, August 23, at 11:59 pm CST (4:59 am GMT). That means you have a little over a day after this posting to get your character in if you haven't already.

Now, on to the questions:

1. Tell me about your flying machine. How does a young kraa take to flying by Sola's power rather than by his own? How do other kraai react?
2. Tell me about a mission you've done in your past service to the Plumes.

1. How did you find Bud-E? Nobody's been to the Surface since... well, basically ever. Where was it found? What did you have to go through to acquire it?
2. Other than Bud-E, what's the most interesting or dangerous piece of Surface technology you've studied?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Harrow posted:

1. Tell me about your flying machine. How does a young kraa take to flying by Sola's power rather than by his own? How do other kraai react?

It's lovingly been named "The Golden Zephyr", I even painted the name onto it in red (the machine itself is yellow). Funnily enough I managed to get it off a junk dealer on Nocturne Island, who fished the wreckage off of a nearby lower branch - and managed to make repairs. Getting it off of Nocturne Island was a feat in of itself of course, but it seemed like too much effort not to, you know?

Flying the Zephyr is an odd experience but you get used to it, I am far too much used to my wings, especially because they're not just ordinary wings! But needs must, and when you rescue damsels in distress and whatnot it tends to help if you can give them a ride - and even with these wings even Royal Kraal are not strong enough to carry passengers. Plus the guns on it make for a terrifying entrance! Also they're great for opening bottles, I should show you that trick one time...

Other Kraal? Well reactions are kind of mixed, you know? Some of the more traditionalists tend to spit on the idea, but then most of them are found in their enclaves so they're not likely to be around to see it. More commonly there's a mix of curiosity and bafflement, especially since I'm 'Royal'. But I can argue my case! Plus surely they can appreciate having a big device makes you a hit with the ladies...

Harrow posted:

2. Tell me about a mission you've done in your past service to the Plumes.

I was flying solo, a common habit - especially amongst the Plumes. I had to stow the plane somewhere nearby, because I had to approach stealthily and the Zephyr is anything but. It was a sizeable bandit camp that had formed on a lonely island near a kraal settlement called Yit-Raddar, prior to that they (under the command of their leader, a fox-eared folk named Gregarious Darm) had been interfering with things, robbing merchants, and forcing tribute from Yit-Raddar. Ordinarily Yit-Raddar would have likely used its guards to try to deal with the threat but at the time couldn't leave town because of an important elder was staying (however temporarily) for some sort of political dealie, and they had to spend their time guarding them - plus they didn't even want to acknowledge this officially with the elder around, so as to not appear weak.

So hence I was sent in, although I wasn't expected to take them all on myself - the possibility was there, I was expected to get them to stop, and hopefully drive them off. Though I could have strafed them with the Zephyr, it would have been highly visible - even from Yit-Raddar, and also the had some flying machines of their own so it'd have its own risks. So I snuck in, waiting until guards had passed (it helped that they'd scored some spoils recently and were largely drunk and fat and full from their ensuing feast) before flying in from underneath and making my way to the chief's tent. After that, well let's just say I made him regret doing any of this and promise to leave immediately and leave Yit-Raddar alone for good.

Then I escaped without any of the guards being the wiser. A surprisingly simple ending to a complex task, eh?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Harrow posted:

1. How did you find Bud-E? Nobody's been to the Surface since... well, basically ever. Where was it found? What did you have to go through to acquire it?

Bud-E was discovered in a crate filled with hundreds of gadgets from the surface, discovered completely forgotten in the basement of the Royal Academy. No one is quite sure how the crate got there, because there was no record of such a crate (let alone the store room where it was discovered) ever existing. Usopp suspected that the crate and its contents may have been salvaged by some Surface-dweller with some special foresight into whatever it was that made the Surface inhospitable. Bud-E's last orders before being locked in the crate were seemingly to protect the crate and its contents, as its first reaction at the sight of scientists prying open the crate with crowbars was to give one of the scientists a surprisingly mean punch right on the nose.

Harrow posted:

2. Other than Bud-E, what's the most interesting or dangerous piece of Surface technology you've studied?

Definitely a machine called the Solar Flare by the scientists of the Royal Academy: basically, a machine that takes Sola's rays and, similarly to the process of weaving sunlight into lightweave, concentrates them. It's interesting because there are many possible applications for concentrated sunlight, beyond just making the process of producing lightweave easier. It's dangerous because one of those applications is an obviously military one. Thankfully, Usopp was the only person who had the chance to study the machine at any length, and he's pretty sure he burned all of his notes related to the machine and the principle that guides it. At least, that's what he really hopes.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Aw drat. I've just realised I've not done my usual thing and asked other people questions as well. Oh well. Way to late in the proccess to start dropping questions. Maybe if I get picked. But otherwise, good luck everyone!

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I've had a lot of work stuff come up recently, which means I probably wouldn't be able to give this PbP the attention I'd like to. I'd like to withdraw my application to avoid saddling you guys with an unresponsive player. Have fun everyone! I'll be reading from the sidelines.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Obviously recrutement is finished and closed now. Any idea on when he picks will be made? I'm itching to find out who got in!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll have picked by tomorrow at the latest! Then we'll get started soon after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Remember how I said I wanted four players? gently caress it, we're going with five. All the apps were fantastic and this has been an extremely difficult choice. In the end, I picked characters that I thought would bounce off each other in the most interesting ways, and whose goals I think would both mesh and clash the best. Basically, this isn't a value judgment at all, and I really wanted to take at least two more, but--priorities! Let's do this.

Without further ado, our roster is:

Captain Godolphin Gett, played by Vulpes Vulpes
Jerret Roarke, the Mechanic, played by Error 404
Cy, the Clock Mage, played by Arashiofordo3
Luka Solaspon, the Immolator, played by slydingdoor
Professor Usopp, the Collector, played by Ratpick

So, now that we have a roster, let's do bonds! As per the usual Dungeon World rules, everyone must have at least one bond with another player character. You may have more if you choose. How about we work those out by Friday, August 28, and then I'll whip up an IC thread for us to start playing this weekend.

As part of this, I'll be reading your bonds to see where/how/in what situation we're going to start, so keep that in mind when putting things together.

• Locked thread