Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Luka Solaspon

So you know how to summon a fire. You gather a sumptuous feast, little appetizer kindling, then a nice, dry, fatwood steak for the main course. Then you bring out your little shiny dinner triangle and play that *flick flick* "soups on" song and light the way with sparks until they come. But then you just tempt them with all the stuff that you wanted to eat. Seal it in a pot, put it behind bars, maybe they get some drippings, but really they're getting nothing else on purpose. No, I lied. When you're done with them, their dessert is a pail of water and a boot to the face! Where's your sense of hospitality? Anyway that's why I threw some of your food in the fire--you didn't need it all trust me--BUT! It's also all of why I'm here. There's a fire out there that gets it even worse than your little Bon and I'll tell you who.

Sola! Did you know... that every day she has to get so close she can smell you browning, but every night she mercifully, lovingly turns away, when she'd like nothing better to reach down and take a big bite? Imagine the discipline that takes. I can't. But I also shouldn't because I'm eating for two! She sent me down here to taste the whole world for her, then, when my quest is complete, I climb the tree, she picks me back up and I tell her all about it! It'll be just like she was here, except here will still be here afterwards.

Mostly.

quote:

The Immolator
smoldering eyes, ritual scars, manic attitude, crackling voice.

+2 16 Wis
+1 15 Con
+1 13 Int
+0 12 Str
+0 9 Cha
-1 8 Dex

D8 Damage
19 HP

Neutral
Exchange a sacrifice, freely given, for a service rendered.

Salamander Solaspon
Nonmagical heat and fire cannot harm you.

Bonds
I owe Roarke something I think. Sola'd know, I can't remember, and he's not helping! Secrets are so dumb.
Usopp, I will teach you the TRUE meaning of sacrifice: (it's letting me eat all those dumb gadgets from the surface world, they don't belong here!).
Gett has a keepsake from Seluna the Moon Princess that could bring her back, but then she could bring her people back. I need to find a way to get him to give it up...or gamble it away. That'd save everyone a lot of trouble.

Burning Brand
When you conjure a weapon of pure flame, roll+CON. On a 10+ choose two of the following tags, on a 7-9 choose one. You may treat your INT as your STR or DEX in regards to making attacks with this weapon. The weapon always begins with the fiery, touch, dangerous, and 3 uses tags. Each attack with the weapon consumes one use.

hand
thrown, near
+1 damage
remove the dangerous tag

Fighting Fire With Fire
When you take damage, and that damage is odd (after armor) the flames within you come to
your aid. Roll 1d4 and either add that many uses to your burning brand (if active), take that result
forward to summon your burning brand, or reduce the damage by that amount, your choice.

Zuko Style
When you bend a flame to your will, roll+WIS. On a 10+ it does as you command, taking the
shape and movement you desire for as long as it has fuel on which to burn. On a 7-9 the effect
is short-lived, lasting only a moment.

Give Me Fuel, Give me Fire
When you gaze intensely into someone eyes, you may ask their player “what fuels the flames
of your desire?” they’ll answer with the truth, even if the character does not know or would
otherwise keep this hidden.

Hand Crafted
You may use your hands in place of tools and fire to craft metal objects. Mundane weapons,
armor and metal jewelry can all be formed from their raw components. You may unmake these
things, as well, but to do so without time and safety might require that you Defy Danger first.

Burns Twice as Bright
When you channel the flames of fate, you may treat a missed roll as a 7-9 or a
7-9 result as a 10+. This may be a roll you or another character has made. Tell the
GM something you’ve lost; an emotion, a memory or some innate piece of your
being. You may not use this move again until you’ve used Burns Half As Long.

Burns Half as Long
You gain this move when you gain Burns Twice as Bright.
When you sacrifice a victory to the flames of fate, treat any roll of 10+ as a miss.

Your Load is (1/9) 9+STR.
You carry no weapon and need no armor but the flames the burn within you.
You begin with a symbol of your sacrifices past,
Adventuring Gear (5 uses, 1 weight)
2 Healing Potion (0 weight)
10 coins
You've traveled far from home and far from safety. What are you looking for? What is it you want?
Well, I already said I gotta taste the world. But it's a little more complicated than that. The way I tell Sola about what's happened is via a sorta smoke signal. Gotta burn up the memories so they can float up to her. I get left with just some coals, maybe some shine, maybe little hard glittery rocks, maybe spent ashes. That means there's something hard for me to taste: the thing that makes people settle and live comfortably, day after day, for the same repetitive experience. The closest I get to that is a little déjà vu that lets me know I'm wasting my time on something I've already had and told Sola about. It's funny, because it is my mission to taste that thing and it isn't, at the same time. Maybe because it's so hard to imagine I want it more than anything. Whatever it is.

Basically Luka will have to break their own heart by tasting something so good it eclipses their own mission and give it up to complete the mission. Maybe it's happened before. Maybe it happens all the drat time.

What's the most interesting place you've been to on the Islands? What made it so interesting? Did you like it?

So I jumped off a cliff just to see what it'd be like. It was pretty cool once I learned how to fall faster, otherwise it gets pretty samey after five or ten seconds. Anyway I woke up on this great big rainbow sandbar. White sand, red sand, orange sand, purple sand, green sand, black sand, just all over the place. Water must have all dried up before I got there. No people, no questions or jobs or duties, just all this great sand that made great glass. I made a little place for myself, just out of windows, where no matter the room I can see Sola. And kind of dress her up too. In pink!

I stayed there for a while by myself until I realized I really should get back to my mission. I was... refreshed, and sometimes when I'm explaining for the billionth time that I don't remember you or owe you anything to some pushy folker I think about taking another vacation. Haven't forgotten the way, not yet.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

1. Most people see Sola as life-giving light, but you know different. People forget how hot, how fiery the light can be. If you could tell everyone in the world one thing about Sola, what would it be?
Sola's actually twirling the planet around like a dance partner, sometimes in closed position, sometimes open. Never too close and never too far, and always out of the way of the other dancers. Sola's a good lead, and trust me you want to be a good follow and stay in the fun zone as long as you can. There's a dumbass church here that wants to try to get as close as they can to Sola. Bad idea. Don't tempt the Sola or you're gonna get burned. But there's an even dumber, if smaller, group that want to break away from Sola. Try to make it "on their own," whatever that means--'on someone else's charity' more like. Anyway that's a worse idea, cause If you burn up enough of the Tree, or the Sea, or the stuff under the sea, doing what Sola's already doing for free, Sola's grip will loosen. And once you let go of Sola, who was otherwise gonna keep you warm for millions of generations, you're dooming yourself to be one of the last. Seriously, leave that one for the great great great etc. grand kids, you won't even recognize what they've become and they actually may need to do what you're talking about now. In the mean time just try to enjoy this drat paradise!

quote:

2. Are there many like you, Luka? Or are you one of a kind? What do people who meet you think about you?
I dunno. I've burned up a lot of memories for Sola so sometimes folk tell me they know me and "hey how is such and such" or "oh no not again" and I feel like they're talking about someone else. But nah, unless someone's playing dress up it was just me from the past. Other people who I'm just meeting tend to know of me and want to check me out or gamble. See, if they've got something new and I burn it sometimes I get some Sola "shine" and split it with them. Sometimes I get nothin' though that's just life no sense getting all mad.

Other, weirder people like to give me a hard time and make me jump through hoops to get something new they heard about and maybe they can get it for me if I'm interested. It's a bunch of nonsense and sideways talk that always means the same thing. I save a lot of time with this handy cheat sheet that I just shove at them.

My favorite people want to work with me to make stuff. Like they've found some metal or other stuff that needs Solaspon fire to become pliable, then heatproof hands to shape. If there's something in it for me I give them my best effort. That's how I got these sweet metal dancing slippers that let me walk around without leaving a burn trail, and ribbons that I can wind around my wispy tail thing just so and make into the illusion of legs or a butt or whatever. They catch the light a little better than the charcoal I used on my top half, dontcha think?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Luka can't get burned, so would do well as a gunner/engine room person.

Usopp, I will teach you the TRUE meaning of sacrifice: (it's letting me eat all those dumb gadgets from the surface world, they don't belong here!).

Also they're the reason you can't live your life.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

The fire is like completely contained with a soot suit and flexible insulation to give Luka a human form. And cool hair. Gunpowder would be safe. Making a creature without tastebuds the cook would be far more dangerous. Like Chef Bender, basically.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

It's more of a sculpture/reverse hazmat suit. Otherwise looking at Luka is like staring into the sun, and everything's melting and on fire. Luka can't remember anyone in particular vaporizing themselves trying to creep on them, but the memory'd probably belong to Sola anyway, wouldn't it?

So yeah, no one would have dinner, except ME. Or Sola. Whatever.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Luka knows poo poo only the Sola could know and doesn't share. That's why all those box gadgets need to go, they're dangerous. And telling certain curious cats the details of why they're dangerous... is dangerous!

Why's everyone else gotta want something really bad for everyone? Including themselves...

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I still have 2 bonds to fill. Anyone want them? I'll answer questions or work together on some. Maybe in irc or whatever if that's easier just name a room.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

So Luka lets people gamble for shine by giving up rarities to Sola. Maybe there's something Gett threw in but had second thoughts about despite/because of the rewards or lack thereof?

The other thing I was thinking about was maybe Luka knows something about the late Lunar empire. Perhaps it is the fate of all planets who've lost their stars to join or conquer one still with a light giving sun and raw materials yet unmined.

And maybe many Dark planets train infiltrators to seduce powerful people with similar "antiwar princess" narratives. Allowing the "resistance" within the invading force might have been their contingency plan. And since Gett's last marriage was a mistake (that ended amicably, granted), so he might have been a priority target for Seluna.

Then Luka would want to therapeutically destroy any physical hooks she still had in Gett.

Just thoughts none of these have to be canon.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

That film owns.

How about "Gett has a keepsake from Seluna the Moon Princess that could bring her back, but then she could bring her people back. I need to find a way to get him to give it up...or gamble it away. That'd save everyone a lot of trouble."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

quote:

I owe Roarke something I think. Sola'd know, I can't remember, and he's not helping! Secrets are so dumb.

That work? He seems like someone who'd gently caress with the amnesiac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I'm totally gonna keep spamming this Burns x2 as Bright move to deny Roarke from ever gaining XP until he tells me the secret. And the companion move to gain XP whenever I want!

Actually, can I retroactively use that on my Volley roll from earlier to turn it into a fail?

• Locked thread