Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

King's Quest was an adventure game spanning 8 games, starting in 1983 and going all the way through 1998. I've never played them. I've never been a big PC gamer so I never really played many adventure games until way later in life, and even then King's Quest had never really caught my eye. I hear some are pretty good, and I really should get around to playing them, but as of right now the series, for the most part, has escaped me.

However, in 2015 a reboot was released by Sierra, made by the Odd Gentlemen. I quite enjoy the game. It's really good, has an art style I enjoy a lot, has some really powerful voice acting behind it, the puzzles are smart, the writing is funny, and from what I understand the game has a few references that go over my head. Right now only Chapter 1 of 5 is out, but I'm sure if the game keeps up being this good I'll eventually get to the other chapters as well. Also, despite the fact the game is being broken up into chapters, each part seems pretty long. Chapter 1 alone had 600+ pages of script.

However, there is a bit of a... reason why I should tell you you should not get this game. I won't be bringing it up in the videos, either, so this thread is probably the only place I'll be bringing it up: The Odd Gentlemen are assholes and thieves. I was warned not to get the game before, but I completely forgot and learned the true extent of what that meant after I had bought the season pass. See, the Odd Gentlemen were commissioned to make the Kickstarter Homestuck game, however shortly after they set to work on it, Sierra offered them the contract to make the new King's Quest series. TOG took the contract... and about seven hundred thousand dollars (or so) from the Homestuck game as well. While I don't like Homestuck, that's a loving dick move. Don't buy this game. Watch videos of it instead.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that the above paragraph is a bit... contested. There's only one source for it, but from the looks of thing it's a pretty reliable source. Still, nobody else has said anything about it, and there's no concrete evidence other than "close personal friend of Hussie's says so", so maybe it's not as bad as I thought it was. Still, take this game with a grain of salt. I will say buy it, but be wary if you don't want to support potential thieves. Emphasis on potential.

Chapter 1

Episode 1: The Tale of the Half-Blind Dragon
Episode 2: The Tale of the Missing Wheel
Episode 3: The Tale of the Test of Chivalry
Episode 4: The Tale of Meeting the Townsfolk
Episode 5: The Tale of Achaka the Great
Episode 6: The Tale of the Starshroom Pie
Episode 7: The Tale of the Duel of Strength
Episode 8: The Tale of the Duel of Speed
Episode 9: The Tale of the Duel of Wits

Chapter 2 (Coming soonish)

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I had no idea this was a thing until now, and I've walthrough'ed my way through most of the series.

Does the game let you get into an unwinnable state, like every good Sierra game should?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Does the game let you get into an unwinnable state, like every good Sierra game should?

Not this chapter, but maybe later.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why is it that the biggest assholes in games dev always sound like villains from a Charles Dickens book? The Odd Gentlemen, The Fine Young Capitalists...

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I hate to be "that guy", but the original source for this embezzlement story has, in every source I could find talking about this, been a single tumblr post that showed no evidence whatsoever. It talks about receiving a timeline doc of some description, but shows nothing. The original post got archived, and... Well, reading it hasn't impressed me.. Was it a dick move to take on a second contract when you couldn't do both? Yes. Am I convinced embezzlement was involved? So far, nothing more substantial than this post has surfaced, to my knowledge. That nobody's decided to confirm or deny has no doubt hurt sales, because this rumour seems to be everywhere I look, despite having exactly the same core source each time.

As to the game, I like how the story is about both old King Graham and Gwendolyn, but am less enthused about the deaths. In the old KQ games, there'd often be a sarcastic or funny message. In this, while some of the animations are quite funny (Yes, the bed is an indication of a trap. But not quite in the way you might think), the death messages themselves are the equivalent of the Prince of Persia's "No, wait, that wasn't how the story went", with much the same starting from just before your bad decision. Also, Graham is technically correct. He has faced this dragon before (In the original King's Quest 1, which... Uhhh... This segment is sort of a reboot of. Sort of.)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

I hate to be "that guy", but the original source for this embezzlement story has, in every source I could find talking about this, been a single tumblr post that showed no evidence whatsoever. It talks about receiving a timeline doc of some description, but shows nothing. The original post got archived, and... Well, reading it hasn't impressed me..

It's a highly trustworthy post by honest person starscream's craterous robot pussy

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

JamieTheD posted:

I hate to be "that guy", but the original source for this embezzlement story has, in every source I could find talking about this, been a single tumblr post that showed no evidence whatsoever. It talks about receiving a timeline doc of some description, but shows nothing. The original post got archived, and... Well, reading it hasn't impressed me.. Was it a dick move to take on a second contract when you couldn't do both? Yes. Am I convinced embezzlement was involved? So far, nothing more substantial than this post has surfaced, to my knowledge. That nobody's decided to confirm or deny has no doubt hurt sales, because this rumour seems to be everywhere I look, despite having exactly the same core source each time.

As to the game, I like how the story is about both old King Graham and Gwendolyn, but am less enthused about the deaths. In the old KQ games, there'd often be a sarcastic or funny message. In this, while some of the animations are quite funny (Yes, the bed is an indication of a trap. But not quite in the way you might think), the death messages themselves are the equivalent of the Prince of Persia's "No, wait, that wasn't how the story went", with much the same starting from just before your bad decision. Also, Graham is technically correct. He has faced this dragon before (In the original King's Quest 1, which... Uhhh... This segment is sort of a reboot of. Sort of.)

ipgd is a close real-life friend of Andrew Hussie (the creator of Homestuck). Hussie asked him to remove the tumblr post but wouldn't confirm or deny the actual story. If it was false Hussie would've said so; the "no comment" response indicates it's true and he's under a NDA or something.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

whitehelm posted:

ipgd is a close real-life friend of Andrew Hussie (the creator of Homestuck). Hussie asked him to remove the tumblr post but wouldn't confirm or deny the actual story. If it was false Hussie would've said so; the "no comment" response indicates it's true and he's under a NDA or something.

Unfortunately, the reverse is also true if an NDA of any sort was involved. And, as far as I understand NDAs, it is the one being contracted that is under an NDA, not the individual hiring. Think about it for a second, would you sign a contract saying "We're not allowed to say our contractor failed the job"? EDIT: For example, Sega hired Gearbox to do A:CM. Sega then sued Gearbox for failing their contract and retracted their right to the IP (Which was their right, as the people who hired). This is how it works normally. This is another reason I'm doubtful of this story, because when problems like this arise, often it gets legal, and it gets loud. Fez. Sword of the Stars 2. Hell, even Lands of Lore was based on the fact that TSR didn't want Westwood to work on Eye of the Beholder 3 due to "Creative Differences."

What I'm saying is, this story has holes, holes that nobody appears willing to plug, and so it remains, at best, a tantalising rumour with circumstantial evidence.

EDIT 2: Now, keep in mind I do not believe this theory, but an alternate theory could go as follows -

1) Hussie starts kickstarter. Hires Odd Gentlemen. Then fails to provide any guidance for the project.
2) The Odd Gentlemen are approached by Activision's Sierra brand, and given a better offer (Funded for the project and promised a cut, for example). They refund Hussie's money as part of this, and agree to part ways.
3) Hussie gets angry, gets friend to make a claim that they stole the money and did gently caress all, and retracts it later, knowing full well it'll be archived.

In this scenario, the NDA signed by The Odd Gentlemen means that, unless they can conclusively prove libel (Which is less likely because it was a third party article which Hussie asked to retract without comment, leading to no conclusive proof either way), they can't say jack poo poo about said third party article, because it involves stuff they can't reveal as the contractor.

I don't believe that theory, but there is literally as much evidence, at this point, for that one as there is "The Odd Gentlemen are a bunch of thieving bastards." Which is why I don't give any theory right now very much credence. Because the only thing that has surfaced right now is retracted third-party testimony. And there's been almost a year for such evidence to surface.

For the prevailing theory, there's a timeline doc and a build that has never been seen, and a possible motive. For this theory, there is someone who knows how the internet works, and a possible motive. For both, there's 700k that nobody's saying anything about. In short... There is no conclusive evidence any which way, and so any theory is, by default, rumour and nothing more. I don't expect we'll see any resolution to the story for years.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 20, 2015

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

JamieTheD posted:

Unfortunately, the reverse is also true if an NDA of any sort was involved. And, as far as I understand NDAs, it is the one being contracted that is under an NDA, not the individual hiring. Think about it for a second, would you sign a contract saying "We're not allowed to say our contractor failed the job"? EDIT: For example, Sega hired Gearbox to do A:CM. Sega then sued Gearbox for failing their contract and retracted their right to the IP (Which was their right, as the people who hired). This is how it works normally. This is another reason I'm doubtful of this story, because when problems like this arise, often it gets legal, and it gets loud. Fez. Sword of the Stars 2. Hell, even Lands of Lore was based on the fact that TSR didn't want Westwood to work on Eye of the Beholder 3 due to "Creative Differences."

What I'm saying is, this story has holes, holes that nobody appears willing to plug, and so it remains, at best, a tantalising rumour with circumstantial evidence.

Sega is a big company, Hussie isn't. Settling and getting a portion of the money back is a better choice than using up more Kickstarter money on lawyers and delaying the game even longer.

EDIT: Hussie has always spoken out when he feels his fandom is unfairly attacking someone, so the fact that he's completely silent about TOG is very strong evidence even if it is circumstantial.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 20, 2015

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

whitehelm posted:

Sega is a big company, Hussie isn't. Settling and getting a portion of the money back is a better choice than using up more Kickstarter money on lawyers and delaying the game even longer.

EDIT: Hussie has always spoken out when he feels his fandom is unfairly attacking someone, so the fact that he's completely silent about TOG is very strong evidence even if it is circumstantial.

Key words: "He feels", and at least one of those examples mentioned (The legal tussle between Phil Fish and his partner) is not a "Big Company Contract". Anyways, there's no solid evidence, I don't expect there to be any for a long time (if ever), and I've said my piece, so back to talking about the game. I don't know what the hell went on with KQ or the Homestuck game, I don't think anybody outside the affected parties know either, and none of them seem to want to talk about it, for whatever reason they're not talking about it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I vote we remove mention of that stuff in op because the thread's gonna turn into a shitshow if we dont.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really doesn't seem necessary now since it appears that all that needed to be said has been said. It's a clusterfuck, no one knows anything for sure; that's about it unless we start getting Homestuck fanboys.

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised by the looks and feel of the game. I didn't like the -quest games even in the nineties (Hero's/for Glory being the exception) so what looked like a cheap cash-in on unfounded nostalgia was a game I immediately decided to pass. Now I'm thinking I made a mistake - as far as post-telltale adventure gaming goes, it looks pretty interesting.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Ambivalent on the game so far, it looks nice but I think the 2 button control scheme is dumbing it a down a bit.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
This reminds me, were these the same guys working on a fanmade remake or sequel back in 2010ish? I remember them getting a chapter out, it being pretty bad and Sierra sending them a cease and desist even though they were getting no money for it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The choreography (is that the right word?) of Gwen's initial encounter with Garth is goddamn terrible. Both participants end up looking retarded and blind and really loving retarded.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
This game looks neat. Too bad I can't stand playing adventure games, so I'll probably never play it. More importantly will there be a death reel(s)?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Fabulousvillain posted:

This game looks neat. Too bad I can't stand playing adventure games, so I'll probably never play it. More importantly will there be a death reel(s)?

There also seem to be alternative actions that don't lead to death like the wheel/dragon/bell choice. Will those be shown off?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Fabulousvillain posted:

whitehelm posted:

There also seem to be alternative actions that don't lead to death like the wheel/dragon/bell choice. Will those be shown off?

Yeesh, so many things to show off! I might show off some deaths (I'll need to have a THIRD file going on to do so but I love you guys so no biggie), but as far as I can tell, the "rippling consequences" won't be showing up until Chapter 2 at least (they certainly don't show up in Chapter 1), and even then I doubt I'll play through the entirety of the game another three times to show off what will probably ultimately be minor changes.

Besides, clearly the eye is the only correct choice here.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
It's very pretty, I like a lot of the design choices from a viewing perspective, but watching this makes me think I'm going to be a lot happier just watching it and pretending we got a King's Quest cartoon series instead of a game.

(Which means I greatly appreciate your efforts in bringing it to us! But if I tried to play it, I'd be complaining constantly about how this wasn't proper King's Questing.)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, the other thing on 'rippling consequences' is that Gwendolyn derives her behaviour in the chapter from her grandfather, so depending on how you approach problems, her decisions will change too.

It really isn't obvious on a first playthrough though.

Otherwise, despite suspect circumstances, i do love this game. Its the first in a long time that has literally made me laugh out loud.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

EDIT: Wait, crap, wrong thread, sorry!

fillertrack
Aug 5, 2015
This game looks interesting. Its nice to see more modern adventure games. Telltale had the market cornered for quite awhile and now we're seeing competitors like KQ or Life is Strange. I wish there was a little more innovation as all these games are way too similar in design. Also is it me or has most of the genre really gotten away from puzzle solving?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

fillertrack posted:

This game looks interesting. Its nice to see more modern adventure games. Telltale had the market cornered for quite awhile and now we're seeing competitors like KQ or Life is Strange. I wish there was a little more innovation as all these games are way too similar in design. Also is it me or has most of the genre really gotten away from puzzle solving?

The folks behind Dreamfall and The Longest Journey are also releasing an episodic adventure game.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

fillertrack posted:

There are still smaller games coming out that look much more like the adventure games of yore, except with more modern influence in the puzzle and story design (fewer dead-end scenarios). Wadjet Eye games is a good example. http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/

There are also other sections of the genre moving in other directions. There's the adventure games that were popular on 'casual' game sites, mixing old-school puzzle-solving and hidden-object stuff together. There have been at least two video detective games lately. Lots of things with innovative art direction that I haven't played enough to really judge their puzzles:

The Silent Age - http://store.steampowered.com/app/352520/
Tormentum - http://store.steampowered.com/app/335000/

'Telltale Style' is its own subgenre by now, as far as I can see, but it certainly isn't all adventure games.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I have to admit, I am sick of the Tell-tale games since any decision results in the same result, over and over again.

As for what these fellas have been accused of - and I'm not wishing to state I agree/disagree with said accusations - isn't it the same as what Gearbox did? And what did those Fine Young Capitalists do?

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Samovar posted:

I have to admit, I am sick of the Tell-tale games since any decision results in the same result, over and over again.

As for what these fellas have been accused of - and I'm not wishing to state I agree/disagree with said accusations - isn't it the same as what Gearbox did? And what did those Fine Young Capitalists do?

TFYC did nothing other than get completely hosed over.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Did somebody order an Homestuck fanboy?

Seriously, I find it very likely that the Odd Gentlemen really did syphon the Homestuck kickstarter money into King's Quest. Otherwise why would Hussie try and get a fraction of his money back? If they had kept the money, or they had invested a part of it into making the game, he could have just asked them to get to work on his game as well.

On the subject of this game, I have in truth already watched a couple of walkthroughs of it, and as much as I dislike its creators I gotta admit that it is a very nice product. Did you see the water effects in the first part? And the design for the dragon, beastly and rhino-like? It is very well-written on top of that.

I also dig the idea of a subtitled LP. I don't know if this is the ideal game to apply it to, since it has subtitles of its own, but it is a good idea.

Are you going to show off all the different choices you can make?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That's kind of my thought as well; what if they did spend the money, don't have it any more, and are paying back WP from future revenues on KQ? In that case its in everyone's interest to not say anything about it and not hurt the sales of the game.

That said, it's a beaut looking game, though Gwendolyn has that pixar look to me. Good choice on the subtitles since I get the impression with the narration that there's a lot of dialogue going on here.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

On the subject of dying, if you do die in this game you almost always appear not long before the moment of your death, so showing off that should not take too much time if you decide to do it in the main playthrough.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Looking at various sources online, it does seem that The Odd Gentlemen dropped all of their other projects to work on King's Quest (including the Homestuck game), and that in turn burned their other clients. I found enough "proof" of that to my mind. That's pretty crummy, but it's also the nature of the industry.

What I can't find proof for is the accusation that they stole the HS Kickstarter money in order to fund the development of another game. Defense of that accusation generally points to the accusation itself, a tweet the HS creator gave in which he says he has "no comment" on the matter, and... that's it actually.

I can certainly believe that TOG screwed the HS game by dropping it in favor of King's Quest. I can also believe that they acted chicken poo poo and didn't let go of the HS game until the contract was terminated. What I can't believe without evidence, considering how the Industry seems to work, is that they used Kickstarter money for another game to develop King's Quest instead of the functionally limitless money provided by Activision. The burden of proof is on the accusers in this case, and I'll reserve my judgement until something new comes to light.

So is dropping another game and then being chicken poo poo about it in order to work on King's Quest is crime enough to warrant boycotting the game? That will be a subjective call. Personally speaking, the LP so far really makes me want to play it.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I just bought the game. I may even play it.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Tobias Grant posted:

TFYC did nothing other than get completely hosed over.

If getting $70,000 as a reward for making one woman a "ideas person" for a game constitutes getting completely hosed over, I'd sure like to get completely hosed over some day.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Obviously inferior to the more Rosella-laden KQ7

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

After a friggin' dragon, this story seems a bit tame, but bare with us here.

Episode 2: The Tale of the Missing Wheel

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Stale bread is clearly the superior choice.

Also, going by an anecdote from GameGrumps, the people who chose to actually leave tips were in the extreme minority during testing. Kinda makes me happy I did it first time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Why are, what I can only assume are Cricetinae rodents, acting as horses?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Samovar posted:

Don't you pay attention? Those are unicorns.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It turns me off somewhat to see a big-nosed, greedy merchant character, as funny as he is.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Samovar posted:

Because ~fantasy~?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Plus they're really cute? Especially the one with the eyepatch.

• Locked thread