Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

blowfish posted:

also can only have one child

hmmm it takes two to form a babby what does that imply for their survival as a species hmmm

They said she only gets pregnant and gives birth once. They never said how many little ocompas would be squirming out of her back when it happened.
Life . . . finds a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strudel Man posted:

It seems like a show focused on menial laborers in star trek world would have to better address why menial laborers even exist in star trek world, which as far as I know is not something that's been substantively answered.

They banned genetic engineering, so there are just as many mildly stupid people as we have today. They might fix it if your baby is gonna have down's syndrome, but if your baby is just a medically normal below average schmuck you're stuck with them. What do you do with people who have the dumb but still buy into the party line of 'working to improve ourselves' despite having no useful skills or interesting talents?

Some people really really really want to do starfleet stuff, but can't hack starfleet academy. Or engineering school. Or medical technician school. Or barber college. They get to do a tour of duty as a barrel stacker . . . in space!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Entropic posted:

Wasn't Dr Bashir a literal retard before his parents got him illegal genetic manipulation to make him a super-genius?

Yeah, but he was just a regular moron, he didn't actually have a medical condition causing it because the Federation allows treatment of medical conditions. His parents probably weren't all that bright either.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orange Sunshine posted:

What the federation would actually be like:

Robots everywhere. Robots cleaning everything, maintaining everything, operating everything, doing almost all of the work. Robots maintaining other robots.

90% of the human population living permanently in holodecks or laying around all day in a permanent Risa-like vacation, most of them illiterate and stoned on whatever drugs are legal or available.

Those with any drive or ambition or desire to do anything are running society, in the military, or being scientists or artists or chefs. Whatever perks society has are offered to those willing to actually do anything. Also to those couples who actually manage to give birth, since the availablility of holodeck sex means most men lose all interest in having a long term relationship with a real woman.

On a federation starship, the crew is relatively small, as most of the work is done by robots. No person stands in the brig and guards a prisoner, or does menial "recalibrate the such and such" engineering work.

You could never actually do a star trek show like this, because it would be impractical and uninteresting to watch a show with robots everywhere doing everything.

Remember that TNG episode where a silicon based lifeform reprogramed Data and various things on the ship by blinking lights at it? Or the time the ship just decided on it's own to have a space baby and then went back to being a ship?

If there are people willing to take jobs standing around it isn't insane to let them do it. These are people who would definately never be allowed to own a spaceship of their own nor to ever talk to aliens, so 'stand here and report if anything goes wrong' is the closest to space adventure they'll ever get.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I bet most enlisted crew aren't in it for a career. They take a one or two year stint, then go home with a bunch of cool stories. It's a pointless dangerous thing, but lots of people pay big bucks to climb everest these days. People do dumb poo poo all the time. In a post scarcity future cool -real- experiences are hard to come by.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blazing Ownager posted:

DId anyone ever fan-edit trim out like an hour of the run time?

I always TMP had a good movie buried in there, but the director wanted to make a 2001 fan film instead

ED: Also you know what? I'm going to say it, 2001 is way overrated. When I first saw it, I turned on JUST as they were getting to Hal. That part of the movie is awesome as it's own thing. gently caress the space baby and gently caress 10 minutes of watching a ship go from left to right. I know, it's trying for high art and many will probably insist I'm an idiot for saying it's not, but I see zero artistic reason to hold... shots... forever... when they don't really even have any meaning beyond "This ship goes from the right to left of your screen. Enjoy."

Honestly if NOT for the Hal part I have a feeling this thing would be way less of a cult classic and virtually unknown to the public. It's really like a different film abruptly starts in the middle. When people talk about the movie they either jump to Hal or the Monolith, and rarely do they go "Oh boy, that 5 minutes montage of landscapes was riveting!"

I almost wish there was a fan-edit (speaking of fan-edits) that broke it into two films: 2001: A Screensaver Begins with the Hal part entirely cut around to just go straight to the space baby, and 2001: Hal edition which begins in the middle and ends before the space baby. I bet they would be nearly unrecognizable from each other.

I'm p sure you're supposed to be on drugs to watch 2001.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My Q-Face posted:

There was the time Scotty beamed all the tribbles onto the Klingon ship, that's sort of biological warfare.

Also, Kirk stole not one but two cloaking devices, the federation surely knew how to make them and use them well before the Defiant.

Canada knows how to make nuclear bombs. We mine uranium and have nuclear reactors, so getting the fissable material is no problem. We have scads of mostly uninhabited arctic territory where we could run tests. We could totally make nuclear bombs, but we don't, because we agreed not to.

The federation totally could make cloaking devices. Certainly by the time TNG rolls around. But they don't, because they agreed not to. They totally could have built the Defiant without the help of the Romulans, but they'd rather cooperate than break the treaty unilaterally.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kenzie posted:

Well on DS9 Worf had a holosuite program where he played a Klingon emperor with 10,000 warriors conquering a city and then slaughtering all the inhabitants, including all the women and children. That's pretty badass.

You'd be a fool to leave klingon women and children alive tho. Every one of those brats is going to swear revenge as soon as they are big enough to hold a batleth.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Didn't Ro grow up in a refugee camp? That might have been more in federation territory than cardasian or bajoran.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The starfleet entrance exam is supposed to be really hard, right? Even boy genius Wesley Crusher had trouble with it despite all his advantages. So how did refugee camp Ro and rape gang planet Yar pass the exam?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Brace for impact. If you want. Whatever. :geno:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Figaro posted:

Wil Wheaton instinctfully makes my skin crawl. There's just something about his gerbil face...his strange rictus grin...desperate eyes

I'm sure he's a nice enough guy but I just find him hard to watch in almost everything he does. I don't even really find Wesley Crusher that annoying so it's not like I dislike him because of that. He does have a very irritatingly smug voice though in real life

He's a nerd. Nerds are revolting.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

He could appear in the reboot movies as Wesley Crusher: higher being and sex abuse survivor. Since time and space and thought are not the different things that they appear, once he's mastered that poo poo he could show up anywhere, anywhen, including alternate timelines.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Boner Slam posted:

-> Getting home is ultimately almost impossible:
The show showed too quickly that there are plenty Deus-Ex Machinas for getting home. That only the second generation of Voyager might actually see Earth (without having ever been there) is a concept they should have not deviated from.

I like that early on she finds out one of the crew is pregnant and muses about them becoming a generational ship. Then no one else ever gets pregnant again. Apparently everyone else on the crew is like "Nope, not bringing a kid onto this deathtrap".

Which conveniently saved them from having to set up daycare and school for the children of their over-worked crew.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Monkey Fracas posted:

First ep of DS9 was good, balanced introducing characters and setting up the show with some 5th dimensional weird poo poo

Awesome

I like the part where Sisko realizes he can't be both an objective Starfleet captain and the Emissary to/from the Prophets, so he resigns his commision and becomes a full time diplomat.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ralp posted:

wasn't it at least implied that the prophet mom possessed a human woman, because grandpa Sisko said after Ben was born she suddenly left and wouldn't return any communication. Problematic.

Yeah, so the human mother presumably provided the DNA for little Ben. It's not certain what if anything the Prophet provided other than involuntary matchmaking services.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's federation prison tho. It's still a post scarcity utopia. You get average food because there is no reason to give you bad food. Your room is a little smaller than the free apartment you got back home, but probably bigger than the lowbie crew quarters on an average starship, and certainly nicer than a bajoran refugee camp. No holosuite time and probably pretty strict replicator restrictions. It's just boring. They were barely able to talk Tom Paris into leaving prison to pilot Voyager. 'Would you rather be in prison or fly a starship?' 'Meh, six of one, half a dozen of the other.'

The federation is all about rehabilitation. Their prisons are humane but boring, so you'll willingly participate in the rehabilitation programs just for something to do. Councillors as far as the eye can see.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shadow posted:

If DS9 had come out in the era of serial tv and not on some poo poo broadcast channel I think we'd have had some really good spinoffs. At this point I'm seriously thinking these stupid big budget forgettable blockbusters have ended the franchise when they decide they've made enough.

Or we might have gotten some really amazingly terrible spin-offs. HBO TREK with titties everywhere. Or Netflix Trek with titties everywhere, but they aren't all good titties.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hmm, yes, we've evolved past primitive modesty, so everybody look at my hairy balls.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shadow puppet of a posted:

I disagree, Klingon underboob and Klingon sideboob are the real undiscovered country.

Nipples too. Could have spikes on their nipples to weed out the weakling infants.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kitchner posted:

The only thing I know is I'm not marrying a vulcan and only having sex once every 7 years.

It is really intense sex tho.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My Q-Face posted:

The Maquis are clearly American Jews moving into settlements in the West Bank.

:agreed:

We never see it, but it is quite likely that the Federation (and cardasian empire) encouraged people to settle that frontier to firm up their claims of sovereignty to the area. Like china building up those artificial islands and moving some folks onto them. You don't want to let the other guys colonize that space first.

That territorial conflict eventually lead to war. O'brian was a bitter veteran of that war, and never really got over his dislike of cardies. The people who eventually become the Maquis are the ones who didn't just evacuate back to the safe core worlds when war first broke out. It's likely that the federation military recruited fighters from the young men and women on those frontier planets. Join the Federation marines and fight for your world! While the core worlds were hemming and hawing about the situation, there was probably some pretty virulent jingoism on the frontier worlds. You fought for the federation, you fought for your land, some of your friends and family died in that fight -- and then the federation makes peace and gives away your land for the sake of pretty borders. You weren't even losing the war, the distant politicians just decided to make a peace agreement that gives your house to a filthy spoonhead. Imagine the sense of betrayal.

Yeah, the Federation did try to make it up to them. Give them whole new planets. Better planets. Any kind of planets they want. But still, they are justifiably angry after all that. The federation isn't wrong, in the long term peace and pretty borders is best for both species, but in the short term a spoonhead is going to take your house.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Sounds like a Klingon wet dream.

Speaking of, is it supposed to be implied that the race of aliens that created all life in the galaxy was genocided by the Klingons? They mention that they killed off their gods, and I would consider it very poetic and appropriate that the Klingons were the last race to be made by the Engineers WhoeverTheyAres, and they were either the best or the worst race they made...which led to their destruction.

I don't think so. The implication was that all that happened a long, long time ago. Not just before homo sapiens, but before any of our precursors. Maybe before multicellular life existed on earth at all. We weren't even little squirrel-like guys yet when they disappeared, so it would be weird for the klingons to be evolved enough to have wiped them out and remember doing so.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

He's totally a child genius. The average Fed teenager is Jake. Who is a pretty well-educated and engaged teenager, still. Not to mention he lived on a station without a school after season one and presumably was part of the Federation's school of the air.

Didn't Keiko start a school or something? I seem to remember something about somebody trying to get the non-human children on the station to go to the federation school.

Besides, the teachers seem to be mostly cheerleaders. The computers have courses for everything programed in. The computer can talk to you, like a human. The computer can also show you 3D examples of everything. Computer is your friend.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The alien doctor on enterprise was one of the best alien crew members. Alien and jolly, but somehow not annoying.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orange Sunshine posted:

Why does a Vulcan have breast implants?

She's a spy. That's where she stores her spy stuff.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nathilus posted:

I've never really thought about it before but phlox os the antineelix. Hes just affable and pretty chill. Not annoying and non pedo.

And he can do this:

That's pretty much the best alien quirk ever. Way better than the Andorian antennae wiggle or the vulcan eyebrow raise.

You heard me!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You don't have to be Vulcan to do that.

No, but it's something every vulcan does. Which still beats the Klingon quirk of 'be angry'.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

schmitty9800 posted:

How come they never show anyone on the shitter in Star Trek?

We've evolved past making GBS threads.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

P-Mack posted:

Per a Trek novel I read when I was a teenager, medieval Klingons used regular swords, and back then the Bat'leth was just a symbolic ceremonial thing. So modern Klingons, like most hypernationalists, are just dumb idiots who are super proud of a past they don't actually know anything about.

I always assumed the original Batleth were from some prehistoric animal. The antlers of a Klingon elk or something. The spiky slashy antlers were valued by primitive Klingons because they were hard to get, you have to be a great hunter to take down a batleth elk. Those practical primitive people could probably make a bunch of decent horn knives and spear points out of a single rack. Then Klingons loving murdered every last one of them, as klingons do. As batleth elk approached extinction young klingon hunters had to work even harder to bag one and prove themselves, so preserving the antlers intact became a tradition.

Eventually the elk themselves were extinct and forgotten, but replica antler racks endure.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Warf made the front page: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/worf-star-trek/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tujague posted:

Next you're going to tell me that Troi didn't have any super mental powers

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Booblord Zagats posted:

That would own. Turns out the whole show was just the ship's janitors having delusions of granduer

You see, at the end of the final episode we find Riker and Troi in the holodeck where they had been watching the show. We don't know if they watched the entire series, or just the last episode or what. It wasn't supposed to be a fictional program, it was supposed to be a historical reenactment thing, which since the events where hundreds of years before might not be completely accurate, thus covering any incongruities between Enterprise and later cannon. Except lots of things with the timewar and whatnot were things only Archer would know and he was supposed to keep them secret because of the temporal prime directive, so if they watched all 4 seasons where did that come from???

It was a pretty awful WTF capper to the show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The future is orange.

I wonder if orange will ever come back into fashion?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Totally out of my rear end, but I wonder if it had to do with the advent of color television and just going HOG WILD with the possibilities.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Luigi Thirty posted:

I remember someone tracked them down. It's a spiral glass bottle for selling Chianti wine to tourists in Italy. Sometimes they show up in discount stores as vinegar bottles. I don't think there's an easy way to get one online.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Chi...YMAAOSwiwVWRjc2

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Nah, they've done a few Time Travel Star Trek movies. Them travelling to a Long Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Away will makes sense. Don't worry.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I watched all 4 seasons of enterprise as it aired and I have no memory of this storyline at all. Not even after reading the spergwiki. It did lead me to this though: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Cheese

quote:

Cheese was the name Humans gave to a variety of foods created by culturing milk.

Earth dogs had a problem digesting cheese, which often made it unwise to feed it to them. Nonetheless, it was Porthos' favorite food, and Captain Archer often fed it to him against Doctor Phlox's wishes. (ENT: "Dear Doctor", "Azati Prime")

The Vissians considered cheese a very sensual food, because of its unique smells. (ENT: "Cogenitor")

In 2154, while Phlox was held by the Klingons attempting to find a cure for the augment virus, Archer noted that Porthos was probably missing Phlox and his "stash of cheese". (ENT: "Divergence")

A wedge of cheese was among the items that the food synthesizer spat out while the computer of the USS Enterprise was malfunctioning in 2270. (TAS: "The Practical Joker")

In 2367, while re-enacting a scene from A Christmas Carol on the holodeck of the USS Enterprise-D, Lieutenant commander Data, as Ebenezer Scrooge, told Jacob Marley 's ghost that he didn't believe in him, for "You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato." (TNG: "Devil's Due")

In 2371, Neelix tried making macaroni and cheese for Ensign Ashmore, but lacking real cow milk he used schplict (grakel milk) which contained bacteria infected with a virus. The virus got into the life support systems and infected the bio-neural gel packs throughout the ship, nearly destroying it. (VOY: "Learning Curve")

In 2375, Neelix created some bland cheese as a dessert to try to satisfy the Kadi delegates. He also offered this cheese to be sampled by B'Elanna Torres and Tom Paris. (VOY: "Someone to Watch Over Me")

After temporarily leaving the "Path to Kal'Hyah", Miles O'Brien ordered two bowls of linguini with Bajoran shrimp and extra cheese in Quark's. (DS9: "You Are Cordially Invited")

loving nerds.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kitchner posted:

Looking at the photos on the bridge there are a lot of screens that I swear I remember being touch screens but maybe they weren't.

We still have touch screens in the modern day though and then they've decided to go back to buttons and knobs :colbert:

EDIT: I guess unless the Enterprise is based in an alternative universe where touchscreens are invented after light speed travel somehow...

Enlisted were forbidden to clean the touch screens after accidentally firing phasers on several occasions, and once nearly ejecting the warp core. Grubby touch screens became a major vector for disease. Eventually they just banned them, until Sonic Shower technology improved to the point where the screens could be cleaned without being touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Klingons have been around for a long time.

• Locked thread