Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
RE: that stark trek apartment

The flat looked like a poo poo hole before and the guy clearly put a lot of effort into doing the place up. Imagine if he actually just put that effort into making into a cool looking flat a normal person would have.

Also I can't remember any of the actual living quarters people lived in having that much strobe lighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Delsaber posted:

Why would anyone design a house like this!

You don't need a cooker when you have a replicator.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Fonzarelli posted:

I tried watching the first episode of TNG once and an alien showed up dressed like a ship's captain from shakespeare times and poo poo and i was like NOPE SORRY

Since Q is one of the best TNG characters ever created you're missing out in a lot.

He appears as a like 17th century ship captain because he's essentially mocking the crew and wearing uniforms illustrating humanity's awful past. The explorers who killed loads of black people, a captain from WW2, and then as a judge from Earth's post nuclear war tyrannical society.

His argument is humans haven't changed their nature just their uniform and picard is all like "naw baby we changed for reals".

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I think we can a agree that the best non cannon star trek production is unironicslly that advert Riker did for networking software back in the early 90s/late 80s

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
There also isn't any "ground forces" they are just dudes in the yellow uniforms. Since the only half way competent security person you ever meet in a yellow uniform is Worf and everyone else gets bitch slapped, vapourised, or tricked into letting their prisoner escape, I'm surprised the Cardassians didn't wipe the Federation out in ever land battle.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
But don't you see? The humans win because of human spirit!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

TEAYCHES posted:

wheres the federation mech units. why isnt this starship troopers or warhammer 40k. fuckin BULLSHIT

Or you know, maybe just soldiers that actually look like they have protective armour, first aid gear, grenades, other assorted military equipment, and a camouflaged unfiform rather than extras in the yellow extra uniform holding a rifle.

You know just actual soldiers rather than Ensign Ricky with a phaser rifle.

The one good thing about the last seasons of Enterprise is they brought the Commando guys on board and they were military bad asses.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kenzie posted:

Well the dudes in the yellow uniforms are all that you need. Don't you remember what Worf said in the hit DS9 episode "Let He Who Is Without Sin..."? Starfleet uniforms are designed for comfort, even in the most extreme environments.

Meanwhile the Cardassians are constantly having to struggle with their own awkward and bulky uniforms while getting ambushed by Starfleet/Bajoran dudes in their comfy pajamas.

Oh and that too, of course. :gowron:

I bet the Cardassian armour would be a lot more comfortable when it stops someone stabbing you in the guts (that is it would if it wasn't actually made of rubber).

"How do you like your pyjamas now?! "

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Uhh apart from the fact a rail gun fires a slug of solid metal which would just bounce off star trek shields? Same goes for missiles and any other crap, it's why all the weapons are energy based.

I'm mean I'm sure they come up with these bullshit ways to justify those odd occasions where torpedoes do get through shielding but if you're going to use they "but these this is what they would really use!" whine it comes up against the "easily stops all projectiles ever" force field.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
"The enterprise isn't a war ship, it's a vessel of exploration"

Five minutes later

"Picard if the Cardassians attack the Enterprise will be the command ship for this sector"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
To be fair DS9 doesn't have a great track record either.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

And yet their ultimate last-ditch weapon? Ramming.

It would be great to see someone ram their ship into their opponent and it basically just smash their ship to pieces while the other ship is unharmed.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

If their magic shields can stop a huge chunk of iron going at a significant fraction of C, they must use a hell of a lot of energy. And if phasers and torpedoes can get through them, they must use an insane amount of energy too. Enough that one hit without shields up would reduce any ship to a faint smear spread across half the solar system.

I didn't realise you were an expert on force fields in real life.

You raise some very good points about how future space lasers would interact with future space forcefields and the hulls of future spaceships made out of future metal.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Figaro posted:

In that DS9 episode "The Siege of AR-558, I got the impression they just beamed down the crew of the first starship that arrived, including captain/commander etc in order to hold the asteroid. Then when the deviant arrives a few months later, nearly everyone has been killed and the person in charge is the chief science officer who isn't even a soldier. If it was a galaxy class ship no doubt Starfleet would have ordered the ship's counselor, children and barber down to the planet to hold the asteroid for Starfleet. Long live the Federation!

Then this blue bald headed barber just came out of nowhere sarge! He just tore them apart with his bare hands! Slaughtered them like animals! He even bit off one of their noses!

And after he just asks if we wants a haircut calm as you like as if organs weren't splattered all over his uniform.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
It is pretty much acknowledged that the Federation is all round the most advanced civilisation tech wise. The only thing the others in the Alpha Quadrant have over them is cloaking technology.

Which is kinda the point, they could annihilate everyone but their own self restraint means they are all peaceful and poo poo. Which means they get bullied despite being stronger.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 26, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

My Q-Face posted:

:lol: competent. Worf got owned by a barrel

I said half way competent

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

The Bible posted:

He doesn't need to actually have the tech to know that stopping an object in motion requires equal force applied to said object.

A chunk of iron moving a 1/4 of C is going to require a shitload of energy to stop. This is really pretty basic physics.

Apart from they use Future Tech(tm) which means the writers can make them do anything and explain it away via technology.

Maybe it's the forcefield kill projectiles thing someone else mentioned.

Maybe the anti matter particles are correctly ionised leading to kinetic energy dispersing across the entire forcefield (which would be thousands of km square).

Maybe the force field converts kinetic energy from a physical payload into the energy it needs to stop said payload.

There's literally no point saying "Yeah but physics!" because they could easily put an episode in where someone says

"Hey, remember when forcefield were first installed on ship's and people said basic and fundamental rules of physics meant that the energy required to stop a simple rail gun shot would be dangerous to generate?"

"Why yes Geordi, that is until the Cochran Formula proved them wrong of course"

"Yeah that pissed on their cereal all right hahaha"

Remember physics basically says FTL travel is impossible too, but guess what!

Finally Romulans use a loving black hole to power their ships and I think it's safe to assume the Enterprise's warp core generates a similar level of power. That's why every time something damages the warp core the entire ship explodes.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Gutcruncher posted:

The ship would be a much more manageable size if they didnt have the huge loving HOLE in the middle!

Apprently that's because the warp nacells need to be able to "see" each other or some bullshit.

I mean it's a really cool ship design because of it regardless of how practical it is, but yeah.

Also RE: the cloak thing, Klingon ship's way smaller than the Enterprise have cloaks and they use dilthium.

Even if a black hole gives them more power, it's about being relative isn't it? Even if the Enterprise generated half that power, that's still half the power of a black loving hole.

Also when a Romulan ship explodes why don't black holes open all over the place?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Universe Master posted:

the treaty was the dumbest poo poo anyway. "We won't use cloaks ever, and you guys will...oh nothing?...we'll okay, we won't use cloaks".

yeah yeah rodenberry good guys don't sneak, whatever

Glad they quietly dropped that with the Defiant on ds9 like all lot of his other loopy utopian drama killing ideas

Well it seemed a good deal at the time I guess as the Federation had no idea how to build a cloaking device.

The Federation wants peace above all else and just not having cloaking devices you don't know a great deal about seems like a small price to pay.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Germstore posted:

That always struck me as odd. Humans, Vulcans, Andorians and god knows whatever other races are in the Federation can't figure out something Romulans and Klingons both figured out.

The Romulans gave the cloaking technology to the Klingons when they were allies against the Federation.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

I can't tell if the Cardassian uniforms are supposed to be rubber or not. I used to think they were metal when I was a kid, but in a bunch of episodes you can see them bend like rubber and it doesn't seem like they're trying to hide it.

I always assumed they are supposed to be metal and it's just bad camera shots.

If it's supposed to be rubber the Cardassian Union is more like the Cardassian Civil Union am I right?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Germstore posted:

flexible but strong science fiction meta-material which to our modern eyes looks like rubber

Sadly "Future Tech" is just the Sci Fi equivalent of "Whenever you see something like that, it was done by an evil wizard"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

A Mean Cow posted:

Can I just interject that they had the worst imagination for holodeck simulations I could possibly conceive of. Really? You have a magic room that lets you experience anything as a physical reality and you just want to play in old movies and always with the historical villages and whatever the hell else happened between 20's and 40's Earth?

They would have to pry me away from that thing. I would spend weeks just experiencing being microscopic in the jungle with a suit of power armor and heavy artillery to defend myself from insects. I would recreate every great video game in history, I would LIVE Ocarina of Time, I would take all my friends and go on this epic adventure in space, flying spaceships and exploring planets and meeting strange new creatures and becoming embroiled in oddly familiar social and political parables.

Man this show sucks.

This "A Mean Cow" character goes to the holodeck and plays some game from the late 90s and it's always the same one.

I mean what, did the stop making video games after 1998 or something?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I'm still supporting the Captain Worf show by the way.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

This is how he catches most of his female prey

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

I think I'd have never even liked star trek if I had to sit through that before watching each episode.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

TEAYCHES posted:

yea i mean i thought enterprise was poo poo because of its intro song

not kidding tho im serious

Thing is these days intros don't bother me as I never watch poo poo on TV so I can just skip it. Game of Thrones has a great intro but I watch it at the start of the season to see if it's changed and then skip it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Gritty realism and tits doesn't actually go that well with Star Trek.

Every single Federation character would be Ned Stark in space

"No way am I going to threaten to kill children"

*Executed*

I think DS9 is as close to gritty star trek sci fi as you can get. You had morally grey choices, you had people dying in war and poo poo.

Then again they could set it all in the Mirror Universe.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

Ooo, how about for a gritty Trek, they set it away from the Federation, a lone ship, maybe struggling for supplies, having to make hard choices. Hell, maybe half the crew are non-Federation who might not necessarily go along with their ideals. Sounds perfect.

There's coffee in every nebula so that doesn't work.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

The Bible posted:

I find it more interesting that from a single book, they were somehow able to reproduce the English language in its entirety.

Same for the planet that was dominated by the Chinese that somehow had an exact copy of the Declaration of Independence, down to the handwriting and signatures, yet for some reason couldn't read it. THAT episode was the worst in all Trek.

Also the Rome planet. God, TOS was pure poo poo.

Don't forget the literally nazi planet

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Everyone was on drugs. If you watch it on drugs you'll understand why they thought it was great.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

muscles like this? posted:

There was also the planet that was a copy of Earth where all the adults had died off. How was it a copy of Earth? Spock is just all "maybe that just happens?"

Which gives a gently caress Kirk now let's get back to fighting giant lizard men

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
That keyboard looks gross as gently caress

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Thanks wikiepdia:

In Star Trek, red-uniformed security officers and engineers who accompany the main characters on landing parties often suffer quick deaths.[2] The trope first appears in the episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" (1966).[3] Of the 59 crew members killed in the series, 43 (73%) were wearing red shirts.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
No one ever mourns the 16 non red shirt wearing officers. Poor bastards.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Selfie with the dead red shirt. #RIPredshirt #lolwhatwasthatguysname #yolounlessyourespock #duckface #GBS

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

They already have every new show feature a crewman from a group that was introduced as a blood enemy in a previous one.

TNG? Klingon in Starfleet.
DS9? Ferengi in Starfleet.
Voyager? Maquis in Starfleet.
(Enterprise doesn't count.)

Clearly we're due for a Cardassian ensign. And once that new show introduces the dastardly Zimpoglians, three guesses what the next show will feature!

Better yet, if it's set in an alternative universe from the movies then the Cardassian is the in board security officer with the task of not only doing what Worf did but also rooting out spies and terrorists.

His Cardassian attitudes means he takes a relaxed approach to invading people's privacy, but eventually the crew teach him that human governments abandoned that concept centuries before.

Eventually he comes to respect that you can be the security chief without reading people's diaries, and accepts that Cardassians could learn a thing or two from the Federation.

(This is basically Wolf's story arc by the way)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
How about a series set in the Mirror Universe around the time of TNG with an evil Federation and the start of the rebellion movement. Where nearly all the humans are actually the bad guys.

If it lasts long enough the Klingon-Cardassian alliance over throws the humans and then you realise they are even worse or just as bad. That's when they introduce the human resistance and at first you're like "gently caress Yeah! Human good guys!" but then it turns out they are literally terrorists and it leaves the audience conflicted.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Gutcruncher posted:

On DS9 Kira was a terrorist and it never got awkward or conflicting. :colbert:

That was pre-9/11 before Americans suddenly hated terrorists despite funding the IRA all through the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
drat you Star Trek writers, you win again :argh:

• Locked thread