Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/...~pmk3JTeWPYaYzn[/url]

Oh dear, is it that day already? Those poor poor desperate actors...and Icheb. Seriously who gives a gently caress what that little scote is up to.

Will watch until Edward Furlong turns up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
I assume that's the Jem Hadar at the beginning, even though they all look like they've been partially melted and viewed through the dim eyes of an elderly man with cataracts.

I hate the uniforms

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

It's supposed to be set after Voyager but it's looks very TOS.

So far, apart from one middle aged librarian woman who looks like she's just finished writing"Fifty Shades of Grey" fan fiction, the rest of the female cast are suspiciously hot yet terrible actresses who look like they'd be more in their element getting spit roasted by hirsute men with abnormally large genitailia...rather than shrieking "direct hit sir!" and limply tossing themselves repeatedly across a green screen

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

In that DS9 episode "The Siege of AR-558, I got the impression they just beamed down the crew of the first starship that arrived, including captain/commander etc in order to hold the asteroid. Then when the deviant arrives a few months later, nearly everyone has been killed and the person in charge is the chief science officer who isn't even a soldier. If it was a galaxy class ship no doubt Starfleet would have ordered the ship's counselor, children and barber down to the planet to hold the asteroid for Starfleet. Long live the Federation!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

A lifetime ago I got sniped for merely suggesting that TMP was loving boring and throughout its life sapping running time, I threatened to fall asleep several times. I was told I just didn't get it and I was a stupid retard.

I stand by my initial assessment. It's boring

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Defiant by Worf son of Mogh

Lights arc across the void.
A supernova, Ezri sighs
"Star imploded" says the ships's android

Sisko dreams of death on Bajor's soil
Oops Eddington stolen our ship's warp coil

The skirmish ends, our crew retires
O'Brien's drunk
The ship's on fire

The Doctor burns, his death is slow
Corpses slump to the deck below
Escape pod two is ready to go
Just Worf, Dax and Ensign Monroe
Silently they watch
The defiant explode!

But before they reach Starfleet
Worf frowns and turns away
They head toward Risa
He is not prepared to die...today

Figaro fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 27, 2015

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

happyhippy posted:

I loving hated selling shows on VHS back then.
When DS9 was being aired, in the UK it was either watch it a year after it actually came out, or buy 2 episodes per VHS for £20.
£20 was a lot for us kids, so a friend and I decided to get them between us, each in turn.
Took us about 300-400 quids worth to realize was not loving worth it.

Where did you get your Star Trek videos?. Virgin Megastores was one of the most expensive places at £13.99 but John Menzies sometimes had "bargain" two episode videos of earlier series at £11.99! Then Blockbusters started converting to DVDs and they started selling vids for a fiver! That was a good weekend

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I thought Lt Worf's entry was rather good this year.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Bah! Enabran Tain was merely a puppet, a powerless figurehead. Why would a notoriously ruthless intelligence agency advertise the leader of their Order so blatantly if not to divert attention away from the true spymaster and head of the Obsidian Order.

Mila, Tain's supposed housekeeper.

From the shadows of the pantry, she can conduct the Order's affairs without distraction or assassination.

Then sadly in the DS9 finale, the Jem Hadar shot her and pushed her down the stairs.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Wil Wheaton instinctfully makes my skin crawl. There's just something about his gerbil face...his strange rictus grin...desperate eyes

I'm sure he's a nice enough guy but I just find him hard to watch in almost everything he does. I don't even really find Wesley Crusher that annoying so it's not like I dislike him because of that. He does have a very irritatingly smug voice though in real life

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Quark is like "Constable we're at war with your people, it's not the time for a changling pride parade on the promenade"

But I'd settle for a Bajoran man and a Klingon hunk dueling tongues at the Dabo wheel with Starfleet officers looking on approvingly while Bajoran clerics hang themselves from the upper level

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Kitchner posted:

Don't worry they have an ancient ritual for that.

They have am ancient ritual for everything.

Even waste extraction

"Kahless I serve up this warrior turd for you, in the name of Mogh, house of my ancestors. May its strength sustain you and its stench inspire. Glory to you and your bowels

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

The Decon chamber was a horrible idea. I'm almost certain Phlox only came up with the idea so he could spy on the crew nearly naked because he's a pervert. Anyway it would be pretty embarrassing stripping down in front of your commanding officer and rubbing gel into your skin.

"Sub Commander could you please turn round while I rub gel into my genitals"

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

They should have just taken Constable Odo on every mission and engagement that involved the Jem Hadar and stuck him up at the front and he call tell them not to fire and to lower their weapons. I mean who would they most likely listen to, a changling who they view as a God or their Vorta line manger who they despise for being cowardly

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Starfleet engineers can turn rocks into replicators. I'm sure they can synthesize some Ketracell W for a brother

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Jake-O NEEDs a line of kettie before he does his writings or win at Dom-jot or get a hard enough erection to gently caress a dabo girl

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I'd like an episode of tng were the perpetually smug bartender Guinan meets an Ensign Ro like character and is like "She's my friend Captain, my judgement is top notch and never faulty!". So then Guinan never leaves this new recruit alone and is always popping in with home spun wisdom and alien parables...

So her new friend proceeds to stab her multiple times to death to stop her regenerating and everyone is like "meh" because Guinans rubbish

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

You're right, I don't think Garak showed any romantic interest in Ziyal at all. He just enjoyed the treat of lunching with an attentive half Cardassian gal pal and together they could wile away the afternoon appreciating Cardassian literature and maybe even talking a little bit about Cardassia with someone who wasn't a skeptical Starfleet doctor.

I think even Garak was a bit embarrassed that Ziyal hadn't yet figured out he had zero sexual interest in her.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Garak is too clever not to appreciate what an asset cultivating a friendship with Ziyal could be, especially with Dukat off station killing Klingons. He probably did use Ziyal primarily at the beginning to gain intel on Dukat and keep tabs on the situation back home, after all Ziyal was ridiculously naive and trusting for someone who'd spent her formative years in a Breen mining camp and she'd probably share everything she knew with Garak.

But Garak also started enjoyed her company and when you get down to it, he's the loneliest man on Deep Space Nine. Garak can be so charming when he wants to be, she probably never realized she was subtly being pumped for information.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

HAMMOCK TIME

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

The Chief hates Cardies almost as much as Major Kira does.

loving spoonheads

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I sometimes get tng and my early childhood memories mixed up. So I have fond memories of the time my mum lost her empathetic powers and became a bitch or that the time my parents turned the sun room into a alien temple and Data jumped out wearing a silly mask

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

O'Brien/Bashir was the best relationship. It was beautiful.

Even if poor tormented Miles cried after every time they had sex together on the Holodeck and warned Bashir that "it was definetly the last time and Keiko could never find out because it would destroy her and he would never get to see Molly and the other one again"

Of course Keiko knew, or at least suspected but she was too busy sexting the dreamy long haired Bajorian botanist she met on a six month expedition of the Janitza mountains

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Klingons killed their God/Creator. Says it all really

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

It's pretty cool that all the frizzling sexual chemistry Janeway and Seven had in their scenes together was pretty much fueled entirely out of Kate Mulgrew's hatred for Jeri Ryan. It's not like the writing in anyway supported a sapphic subtext, Berman forbid!

That, and they are both good actors

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

I've never heard this. What caused the animosity?

Jeri Ryan Speaks About Her ‘Intentionally Unpleasant’ Experiences on the “Star Trek: Voyager” Sets

http://trekcore.com/blog/2014/11/ryan-mulgrew-feud/

JERI RYAN: The addition of this character… Voyager was the flagship show of the network -- UPN -- and Paramount saw this as this character as their chance to break Star Trek into the mainstream media, and not just the sci-fi mags and things like that. So the Paramount publicity machine went into overdrive with the addition of this character.

AISHA TYLER: What season was this?

RYAN: This was the beginning of Season Four. Everything was top secret about the character. The costume people didn't see what the makeup people were doing, everything was secret, secret, secret. They didn't want anybody to know anything about it until the day I walked on to set to shoot this -- which is a bunch of other stories! [Laughs] It was crazy.

They were very successful in getting the mainstream media to pay attention to it with the addition of the character.

TYLER: What were the other stories? It's so far in the past...

RYAN: It is so far in the past. Oh, god. [Laughs]

TYLER: Pick the one that you feel comfortable sharing.

RYAN: It was understandably tough for an existing cast that had been together for three years already. Star Trek, traditionally -- because this was like the fourth incarnation of Star Trek at the time -- was always the Captain, or the Captain and First Officer. Typically, it's the Captain that gets the attention of the press, and the shows revolve around that.

So all of a sudden, all of that shifted drastically in Season Four and now the writers, who have been writing for the same seven characters for three years, are salivating for something new to write with. They've got this character that's so rich, because she's not even human when they start out...

TYLER: And the whole point of it is what it means to be human, it's a huge storyline.

RYAN: Right, there's no better way to do that. Consequently, all the scripts revolved around Seven of Nine and her relationship with the other characters, of course -- which actually ended up leading to some really rich storylines for the other characters.

TYLER: There was probably more diversity in terms of storyline for everybody.

RYAN: Exactly -- but that's hard, when the new kid comes in and suddenly it's all about them. That was tough, and it was particularly tough for some more than others, which was not real fun. It really made it an unpleasant work experience.

TYLER: Did that continue, or did evolve?

RYAN: It continued, for quite a while.

I mean, for the most part, everybody was phenomenal and absolutely great -- and the guys, my God, I loved my boys on that show. [Laughs] They were hilarious to the point that if I had a two-shot with and then it's my close-up, I had to look off-camera because if I looked at them I'd just break and crack up.

But yeah, it was unnecessarily unpleasant for a couple of years -- basically, until I started dating [Brannon Braga]. Once I was dating the boss, funny how things suddenly cleaned up!

[Laughs] But it was really, really tough the first couple of years. and there were many days when I was nauseous before going into work because it was that miserable. Just unnecessarily, intentionally unpleasant.

TYLER: And such a waste of energy.

RYAN: Waste of energy.

TYLER: I always feel like there's a strange intimacy on a set that makes difficult sets much more difficult that working at a difficult office -- because you can usually avoid the other person...

RYAN: Right. There's no avoidance on a set, and most of my scenes were with this person.

TYLER: Oh, god.

RYAN: I mean, there was NO avoidance, because it was the richest relationship. They really wanted to capitalize on that.

TYLER: I'm not going to ask you... I'm sure people can deduce [who it is] if they spend some time Google-ing.

RYAN: Right, yeah.

TYLER: I have had friends who have been in situations... where they had a very close co-star, sometimes their love interest, and they really did not like each other off-camera. I know someone who went through this, and they were just not even on speaking terms, and they had to kiss on camera. How was that for you -- did you develop mental tricks? Like, what did you do?

RYAN: There was nothing I COULD do -- literally I would be nauseous when I knew these scenes were coming up. When there were a lot of scenes with this person the next day, I was sick to my stomach all night, just miserable. It was so unnecessary and just so petty; things like, oh my God...[Laughs]

We'd have scenes -- because a lot of my scenes took place in this set they built for my character called the Astrometrics Lab. It was a really impressive-looking set with this huge, massive, curved green-screen and this giant window. So there's only one entrance to the set, because all the cameras were built up on platforms and stuff to shoot the window -- there was just one set of doors.

I remember this one time in particular, I had this once scene with this person, just the two of us. We do their coverage first, and shoot their side of this really dramatic scene, and then it was time for my coverage. Before every close-up, the hair and makeup and wardrobe teams come in and do touch-ups and everything to make sure everything's right... [Laughs wildly]

[The co-star] shut the door to the set, and said, "She's fine. LET'S GO." Wouldn't let them in. Just stupid, stupid stuff like that

.TYLER: And by the way, out of their job description.

RYAN: Exactly. Let people do their jobs.

TYLER: Not your call!

RYAN: Right, things like that. Another time, I don't even think it was the same day, but a different scene with that person on the same set -- we do their side first, and then it's my coverage on close-up for this really intense scene. The literally sat off-camera picking their nails, thumbing through a book, and just haphazardly saying their lines off camera without even making eye contact.

TYLER: It would have been better to just not have them there.

RYAN: Yeah, could the [assistant director] just read it off camera? I'm good.

TYLER: Anyone? A production assistant? A C-Stand and a tennis ball? It would be better.

RYAN: Exactly! It would have been better. It was intentional, purely intentional and unnecessary.p

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

The episode "Non-Sequitor" from season 1, is the middling voyager version of Trek's "everyone thinks I'm mad but it's the universe that's wrong!" trope.

It's okay, even though it's a Harry Kim episode. But the girlfriend is the worst actress...

"HAAAAAARRY"

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I'm probably alone in that I liked nearly all the early Bajor/Emissary episodes of DS9.

The provisional government, soil reclamators, ancient prophecies, Dakur province; it was all good

And you had Kai Winn popping up every once in a while to play space dowager countess and lay down some bitchy burns on Kira/Sisko.

I get a bit sad later on, when the show moves away from all of that and it becomes mainly about the Dominion War. Which I still liked but it felt like they dropped a lot of the Bajor stuff later on, which was strange because in the pilot Sisko's mission was to help rebuild Bajor and prepare the Bajorans for admission into the Federation

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I read somewhere that Bajoran episodes were apparently not very popular with fans so the writers stopped doing so many. Yeah I suppose the Dominion War and the wormhole make Bajoran membership a given. It's not like Starfleet would tolerate any other great power controlling the wormhole and the Bajorans would need Starfleet help defending it even in peacetime. Makes you wonder why the Bajorans didn't just set up a toll booth and charge ships going through, then they could rebuild all they schools/hospitals/temples with the space money they'd get.

Oh and its a bit silly that after seven years, the Bajoran government is still the provisional government because it's seeming pretty permanent to me

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

It's funny to think that at the end of DS9, the player that's best off is the Bajorans, considering how hosed they were at the beginning of the series.

Federation- massive loss of ships/personal
Klingons- lots of ships destroyed
Romulans- again lots of ships lost plus 1x suspicious Romulan senator
Dominion- falls back to their own territories with tail between their legs
Ferengi- turning into a egalitarian society to Quarks horror
Cardassians- lol

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Trickjaw posted:

Don't you dare diss my Cardassian pals. They had O'Brien go out there, so everything would have been tickety boo in no time. In the books, anyway. That also featured Sicko's immortal daughter. In conclusion, idk

As much as I love the Cardassian people, they had it coming. It's funny because outside of humans, they're probably the most balanced of all the Star Trek great powers. They can be aggressive and violent but not as much as Klingons. They are paranoid and duplicitous but not half as bad as the Romulans. Their literature is boring but not as dull as future earth/federation

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

I think that detection implies possible innocence and that Cardassian Sherlock would not be a detective and instead be a lowly crime scene cleanup worker who with a clear conscience space-bleaches away the DNA and fingerprints, crushes up the Romulan detonator modules to ensure there is conformity with the arrest, with the verdict and with the sentence.

Every Cardassian Sherlock story would end the same way with only the crime and circumstances changing from novel to novel. Thus conforming to the great Cardassian literary tradition of the repetitive epic. Once again the state is proven infallible in all things, justice prevails, the guilty are tortured and punished. And the cycle repeats

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

He was also rather randomly in one of DS9's mirror universe episodes, playing the same character but a bit dirty and a rebel

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That was pretty cool though. I wonder what mirror universe Janeway is like.

Competent, emotionally stable and probably lezzing it up with Intendant Kira or another one of the female cast members because in the mirror universe all the ladies are horny bisexual sluts.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Also she has a cat not a dog and instead of being all into science and poo poo, she's better known as Vedek Janeway Kathryn and has really really good hair

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

*Warning Jadzia apologist here! Don't read this if you don't want to read nice thoughts on the Dax symbionts seventh host

I liked Jadzia, maybe not as the main character in a episode (Meridan ugh!) but she was a good sounding board for other characters. Terry Farrell wasn't the best actor at the start but I did read somewhere that she was super nervous in the first season because she'd barely acted before and the writers had given her this character which they would only describe in very vague term as being "wise" and "like yoda" but in the body of a young woman in her late twenties. In season 2, they effectively retooled the character of Jadzia and allowed her to be fun with some joie de vivre thrown in that more closely aligned to Terry Farrell's personality. Sort of how Riker slowly morphed into Jonathan Frakes during the seven years of tng as the writers let Riker smile/joke and his portrayal of the character lead the writing rather than the other way round.

More than any other character on DS9, Jadzia had a number of really strong relationships that had built up over a number of years; her close personal relationship with Sisko, marriage to Worf, Kira's female friend, a relationship with bashir that started as unrequited flirting but deepened so that after O'Brien she was his best friend...oh and she was the only one of the main cast who genuinely seemed to like Quark and appreciate his better qualities.

She also wanted to replace Ezri with a Hot Trill warrior man to terrify then seduce Worf
http://youtu.be/3czmXhHXjhM

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Mondian posted:

Yeah, goons in this thread love to poo poo all over Farrel, but could someone point out a specific example of her terrible acting? I don't think she was ever gonna win a golden globe, but she seemed fine after the first season or two. And lets be honest, the first season or two of virtually every Trek is rough and lovely, with people desperately trying to define their characters.

The only thing I can think of is her supremely uninspiring recitation of Sisko's inspirational "spent phaser power cell" speech from Behind the Lines. "Take a gooooooood look at this, people...." Urgh, it was terrible.

The first time I watched that episode with the spent phaser cell speech, I though she was doing the speech badly on purpose as a comically exaggerated version of Sisko, making fun of how stuffy and serious he is. But no

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

ThePutty posted:

just saw the inner light for the first time

it's all downhill from now on right? nothing is gonna top that episode

Wait for Deep Space Nine's "The Visitor"

"To my father, who's coming home"

:suicide:

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My getting wicked drunk and passing out on the couch combo is "The Inner Light", "Visitor", and fall asleep in the middle of "All Good Things". Occasionally I will switch out "All Good Things" for "Time's Arrow" to add a little Samuel Clemens levity to the situation.

Jeez surely you'd get startled awake every ten minutes watching Time's Arrow. What with Samuel Clemens shrieking nonsensically from the TV anytime he appears in a doorway or pops out of a closet.

"MADAM GUINAN!"

*Weird shrill hooting*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

It's like Geordi asked the computer; "Computer create a character that will irritate the poo poo out of the audience"

• Locked thread