Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

100%?!?

Yes. Final Fantasy X-2 is set up in quite an interesting way that allows the player to pretty much explore the entire game at any point, only needing to complete a handful of missions to progress with the story and reach the end of the game. I could blow through this game in half 1/10th the time and miss out on all the optional content, but to do so would be a crime. I actually love this game a lot, and I've never had a 100% completed save file on it before, despite attempting it quite a few times. It turns out to be quite the pain in the rear end to get those last few %, and there are dozens of opportunities to accidentally skip a 0.2% checkmark and be unable to go back to correct your mistake. But this time I came prepared. I am going to see that damned 100% best ending cutscene even if it kills me.

I am using a very simple text guide that tells me the exact parameters that are required to achieve 100%, and little else. There are likely going to be times when I'm holding my head in my palms, softly sobbing as I run around in a circle one more time looking for a certain NPC I know I need to talk to, somewhere.

Alright buddy, sure, "100%", what exactly do you mean by that?

Well, umm, I'm not actually going to do everything in the game. I won't run around talking to every single NPC or anything like that, I'm just going to do the bare minimum to get the game to say 100%, as well as any side stuff that I feel like doing. But getting the game to say 100% involves quite a lot of work and pretty much exploring the game in it's entirety. I'll be taking advantage of frequent save points to ensure I don't screw myself out of 100%.

Despite not being necessary for 100%, I will absolutely be playing a lot of Sphere Break. I'll try keep that to separate videos as I'm sure only very special people wanna see me play a glorified multiplication lesson for hours.

Hahaha, I just realised you said you love this game. The first 5 minutes is a pop song. A major game mechanic is changing from one revealing outfit to another. You're playing Pop Idol: The RPG.

Hey! Stop that! This game is excellent. I just remember a slight twinge of shame and desperately praying my father wouldn't walk in on me during a vital mid-battle dress sphere change into a skimpy bikini. He would have just jumped to conclusions.

Despite being very silly and a little cheesy, the game has a fairly interesting story going behind it, an absolutely huge ‘job pool’ in the form of these costume changes to many different classes with many different abilities to unlock and use. And to date the most up-tempo combat system of any Final Fantasy game. This was the first time Square Enix ever felt the need to create a sequel to one of their usual stand alone final fantasy games, because they felt they had more to say, and I think they were justified in feeling so.

Episodes

Youtube Playlist

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Other stuff: (Mostly an indepth look at dressspheres/game mechanics)

Thief Dresssphere
Black Mage Dresssphere
Gunner Dresssphere
Warrior Dresssphere
Garment Grids explained
Gunmage Dresssphere
Songstress Dresssphere

:siren: Thread rules :siren: Feel free to discuss anything you want in the Final Fantasy X + X2 universe. If you know of any 'not necessary for 100%' content you'd like to be covered, please do make your case for why I should include it and I'll be happy to do so. I don't really care about spoilers but please do keep in mind not everyone has played this game, spoiler tags would be a nice courtesy for genuinely significant plot points, but at the same time let's not go crazy with it. There are a few differences between this and the remastered FFX-2. Feel free to talk about those differences, but remember we aren't actually playing that game.

Powerfrog fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Episode 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtN22HGaANU

Not seen: Me loving up the 100% run at the very start of the game by missing the very cruelly hidden Moogle you need to talk to for 100%. Yes. I had to re-record the whole first episode. Yes it shows. No, not in a good way.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Thief

Thieves have really high agility, evasion and luck. They wield a dagger in each hand, allowing them to attack twice with their basic attack, making them very useful for building up large chain attack combos.

Stealing stuff is great. I do it all the time. In Final Fantasy X-2 all enemies have a 'common' item and a 'rare' item. They typically only have around a 1/8 chance of dropping their rare item on death. The skill Master Thief guarantees a rare item steal, this makes having a thief border-line essential and is how we'll get a lot of our fancier items.

Thieves have a bunch of excellent passive abilities, including the ability to always act first in any battle, a general increase in item drops, and a total immunity to slow/stop.

Paine the Thief posted:

Watch out, items aren't the only things I can steal.

She's right! Thieves can also steal HP or MP. Heh...

Powerfrog fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 4, 2015

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Beautiful artwork etc.

Powerfrog fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 4, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Hmm.... this may prove to be interesting... I look forward to seeing you go insane from some of the hidden things (like that moogle in the very beginning). Also, first non-OP post, because I believe saying such is customary.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
I loved this game's battle and job systems but hated absolutely everything else about it, including the characters and setting of FFX. I'm glad we can suffer through this together.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
This game is even more insufferable than I remember. I played it trough once, but did almost no optional content, so lets see what I missed. Probably more braincells being abused.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

This game was good and fun, and probably had the best battle system that the franchise has ever had.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

Mazed posted:

This game was good and fun, and probably had the best battle system that the franchise has ever had.

Finally someone with the correct opinion speaks up. :colbert:

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

This was my first Final Fantasy, back when it was new.

I didn't get it.

Then I played it a year ago and understood, this game is awesome and bonkers.

E: And the battle system is incredibly fun, compared to FF X. Give me a game with this system and FF X's Sphere Grid/story and I'll drop as much money as it takes to get my hands on it.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 23, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
This game is good and fun and also terrible. It can be both of these things at the same time. I like it a lot despite all the reasons I probably shouldn't.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
is this the HD Remaster? I liked the previous FFX-2 LP a lot, and would love to see a new one for the HD version.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
This is the regular version. Emulators can't run the HD re-release.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I always found I vastly preferred the ending where you didn't even come close to 100%.

"This is my story. It's going to be a good one."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game rules and is a fantastic sequel. You might not like it on your first playthrough, but if you think about what the events of FFX mean for Spira, this game makes perfect sense.

I'm glad the ffx series ended with this game and did not publish some dumb as poo poo fanfiction which it would try to make canon at every opportunity.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I always found I vastly preferred the ending where you didn't even come close to 100%.

I'll be sure to get some footage of all the endings, in true completionist fashion.

Though I'm pretty sure I was that boring kid that played the game several times but always did it decently thoroughly so always got the same middle of the road ending.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
This game is an awesome followup to X that got criminally overlooked for how insane some of the presentation is.

Also 100% agreed that the middle ending is way, way better then the 100%.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
Ah, memories. This game was the last LP Tipping Forties did together before their site went down. Magical times. Just, magical.

And yeah, with the advent of Bravely Default, I cast a much less disparaging gaze upon X-2 than I used to. Mechanically the game is sound, and on paper the story of both X-2 and X is strong.

Then you get to the characters and the voice acting.

Anyway, for X, the gameplay was engaging enough to me that I was able to overlook the above. X-2 never quite broke that ceiling. Still, always a laugh riot to see other people play it though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is the goofiest fuckin game. Also is my first FF game so it sorta has the same place in my heart.
Anyways the combat seems really really fast compared to what I remember. It's almost as if the battle system is proto-XIII, what with how dynamic the combat is animated and how you can kinda interrupt actions.

And Dressphere grids are also proto-paradigm shifts.

:psyduck: poo poo in retrospect X-2's battle system is, in every way, a prototype of XIII.

Drummer Buddha Machina is my spirit animal

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 24, 2015

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J90HxTSz0os Episode 2

Hey we got a new dresssphere! Black mage!

With that said, I'd like to put up a vote for which dressspheres you'd like the characters to be primarily wearing. I'll reopen the vote every time we get a new dresssphere, and I can always change dressspheres in battle if I must, so don't worry about locking anything in permanently.

Rikku is staying a thief until we unlock Master Thief. It's just too drat useful.

Your options for Paine and Yuna are anything from Gunner, Warrior, Thief, Songstress, or Black Mage.

Because I'm not a fun-haver, I'm limiting the party to 1 Songstress at most. They don't even have a basic attack, or any ability that deals any sort of damage at all. They do have an ability that's named 'Dirty Dancing' though.

Voting ends at 12:00 GMT 26/08/2015

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Black Mage

Black Mage, like Songstress, have no basic attack ability at all, and thus, like Harry Potter, must use magic to defeat their enemies.

As one would expect, Black Mages have very high Magic and Magic defense, with their other stats being very low.

They have access to the 4 elemental spells and two powerful non-elemental spells and that's about it. Honestly. They're probably the least inspired dresssphere. Their elemental spells do pack quite a punch though.

Rikku the Black Mage posted:

I'm gonna put you in a cast, and I don't mean the broken bone kind! Get it?

Powerfrog fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 4, 2015

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Y: Gunner
R: Thief
P: Black Mage

Gotta rack up those chains.

You should use Songstress for boss battles though

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 24, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Only thing I didn't like about this game was Yuna's voice actress. The woman can't emote worth poo poo and never raises her voice above 'mildly concerned whisper'.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Go all Black Mages
As soon as Rikku learns Master Thief or whatever make her Black Mage also

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
We don't need no magic, make Paine a Warrior and Yuna a Gunner.

Though isn't the whole idea to change classes on the fly? Or is that more applicable later in the game?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Changing classes on the fly is usually the point, you get AP just for performing actions within a class as well as enemy kills. There's Garment Grids that give you bonuses for changing jobs in the middle of battle.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Though isn't the whole idea to change classes on the fly? Or is that more applicable later in the game?

Speedball posted:

Changing classes on the fly is usually the point, you get AP just for performing actions within a class as well as enemy kills. There's Garment Grids that give you bonuses for changing jobs in the middle of battle.

Yeah it's a combination of this. We're still very much in the "smash the attack button to progress" stage of early game, and we don't have any kicking rad Garment Grids that gives sweet bonuses for changing in battle yet, so I kinda just wanna get on with it rather than wasting time watching girls change clothes*.

The vote is for our main dress, either one we'll start battles with, or one we'll immediately change to after starting on our buffing/thieving class.

I coulda made that clearer from the start. *I am not a good lettuce player.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, i fyou find yourself changing jobs a lot there's no shame to set it to abridged or skipped transformation sequences.

Though they are really cool to look at.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's only applicable if you want to get fancy. If you do sidequests, you'll have good enough levels/equipment/abilities to wreck everything you come across without the need to change dresspheres mid-battle.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like that Warrior Yuna uses Tidus' animations, as well as his sword.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Heh, 100%, there's like what 105% or something? Not that the counter goes past 100%, but it's sorta silly.

Powerfrog posted:

I just remember a slight twinge of shame and desperately praying my father wouldn't walk in on me during a vital mid-battle dress sphere change into a skimpy bikini. He would have just jumped to conclusions.
One of these days the LP will start with "I walked in on my father and he said to LP this"

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 26, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Alavaria posted:

One of these days the LP will start with "I walked in on my father and he said to LP this"

"Anything to get him out the Rikku costume. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but he looked like a wookee in a bikini!"

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Tenebrais posted:

I like that Warrior Yuna uses Tidus' animations, as well as his sword.

Yeah that's definitely a nice touch.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I remember this game. I remember not knowing whether I love or hate it.

I still don't know.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Alrighty then, it looks like we'll be rolling with Yuna as a Gunner, and Paine as a Black Mage for now.

If only there was a way to fuse both of these classes together... Naa that'd be really stupid.

Gunner

Gunners dual wield pistols, but they only use 1 of them for anything other than Trigger Happy.:doh:

Gunners have extremely high accuracy and all of their abilities have no charge time (Think of it as casting time and cooldown, they still have cooldown.)

Gunners have a fun ability called Trigger Happy. Once activated, you mash the right trigger button for rapid attacks using both guns, while still inputting your other commands as in this game the enemies aren't kind enough to wait so you can button mash. It can make combat quite stressful. :f5:. It's one of the few button mashers I actually feel is decently implemented in a game.

When Yuna was briefly a gunner in the first episode what I did was activate the ability and then not fire a single shot. I'd like to pretend I didn't just forget how it worked. and that was for some hidden achievement required for 100%, but... Actually. Yes. That's believable. I did it for a special hidden achievement that was necessary for 100%. :sweatdrop:

Yuna the Gunner posted:

You can't run or hide, so why bother?

A chilling reminder of how overpowered guns are when you're fighting against mediaeval mofos armed with nothing but swords and clubs.

Powerfrog fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 4, 2015

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Powerfrog posted:

Gunners duel wield pistols, but they only use 1 of them for anything other than Trigger Happy.:doh:

Gunners have extremely high accuracy

That's why they only use one. Increased accuracy until they go full dakka.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Warriors are full of nice abilities that crack apart enemy defenses, but Gunners are pure Speed and Accuracy.

Between gunners and thieves I'm not sure which has better overall DPS, but Gunners are definitely more about hurting the enemy while thieves...steal stuff. LOTS of stuff.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
True story, Final Fantasy X-2 was my first ever JRPG and one of the first games I truly enjoyed when I was a child. I never managed to complete it, but I've always had fond memories of it. I loved the battle system a lot and Final Fantasy X-2 has some characters I really love. I got frustrated however with how you can just accidentally screw yourself out of dresspheres and completion percentages really easily. I'm glad to see it getting another let's play though.

Also I'm gonna be the first to admit that I have a guilty pleasure for the J-Pop songs in this game.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
This is the only good Final Fantasy game.

Aside from the mythical Lightning Returns which *still* hasn't come out on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Oh gee, this is one of my favourite Final Fantasy games. I like it better than X in almost every way. I think the reason it gets such a hard wrap is dual-fold - it was, in a word that people use for it, 'girly' and very, very different from what people were expecting (both as a Final Fantasy game and what an RPG is.)

The whole 'girly' thing comes from having to swap clothes, certain scenes (though how giving a massage to a barely dressed woman is considered girly, I've never really managed to figure out unless one assumes that all women gamers enjoy that kind of thing) and the overall jPop thang going on. I love it. Granted, I am female so the same people who call it girly would say 'There you go!' but what do they know?

The other aspect is that people expected another straight jRPG and got something entirely different. Instead of saving the world, you're picking up the pieces of a world that has been saved, slowly rebuilding from the ashes and learning how to live after the 'big bad' has been dealt with. It's something that hadn't been seen in a game before, let alone from a big name in the game creation business who had a reputation for reiterating the same basic plot points of the Hero's Journey.

I love it to bits. It's very fresh and different and just has this lively vibe to it. You're restoring a broken world, building ties and just learning to live and find reasons to live, while looking into the far past of the world, dealing with the fallout of the political shake-up and all to lively pop tunes. And that battle system, yo. <3

Love this game.

• Locked thread