Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

quote:

Also, are we going with "mutants" or are we coming up with a different, less offensive term that reflect our worldview? Superhumans? The Gifted? Talents?
I'll leave that up to the other posters. If you all wish to refer to mutants with a less derogatory term, and can agree on one, then sure! But to the rest of the world you are Mutants.

quote:

Why did our other group members join up with us? What are their expectations?
You came to LA about six months ago, and were put in touch with Intercept. Through the power of the internet, and people he already knew about, you were able to gather everyone together. Eel joined because he had an younger brother who went away to college with a visible mutation (red eyes and mottled skin) and was beaten to death during midterms by a bunch of anti-mutant dickheads who were never convicted. He wants to make sure nothing like that happens again, and if it does...he wants to do something about it. Wildfire wants to watch the world burn. She hasn't shared why she joined, but you're pretty sure it's just so she can burn things. Vigilante wants to right wrongs - with her bow and arrow motif you get the feeling she imagines herself a Robin Hood type character. You're not sure why Squib joined, other than he was already roommates with Intercept and they're a package deal. Intercept seems sure that public opinions are turning against mutants, and since he's got his finger on the pulse of the internet, quite literally, you don't have any reason to doubt him. With every adolescent mutant that has a terrible and public 'transition,' the rumblings against mutants gets a little louder.

quote:

Are we aware of nearby Brotherhood cells and what they're doing?
There are cells in Arizona, Las Vegas, and Portland. You aren't aware of any of their current plans, though you do know that the Portland group has been very involved with the homeless population and getting them back on their feet. Well, the homeless population is declining, anyway.

quote:

What's the Brotherhood's overall focus right now nationally?
The overall focus right now is... disjointed. Lacking a 'head', so to speak, each group is doing what they think is best in order to prove that Mutants aren't here to be subjugated or treated like second class citizens. In some areas this means the Brotherhood is trying a softer, gentler, approach, but generally you're viewed with distrust by the general public. It only takes a few bad apples to spoil a barrel, after all, and the Brotherhood has attracted more than it's share of bad apples who just want to get back at the mundanes who have treated them badly. Your old group, in the mid west, perpetrated acts of violence against anti-mutant organizations (the organizations themselves were anti-mutant, but sometimes it was just their leadership) as punishment for their views. Deimos was/is overly plugged into the fears of those around him, and often picked out people who he thought needed to be taught a lesson. You aren't sure if he had the right idea. You owe him a lot... but he made you uncomfortable.

quote:

Does the Brotherhood have a manifesto? If not, we should probably get cracking on writing one.
No manifesto. You can certainly start outlining one if you like! If you really, really want to

quote:

What sorts of headlines has the Brotherhood been getting? The Registration act?
Brotherhood around the country: An abortion clinic was destroyed in Alabama after rumors grew that one of the doctors claimed to be able to screen for the 'undesirable' X-gene. The doctor was found later, dead in his home after apparently electrocuting himself. A Mutant Lives Matter rally in New York was led by the Brotherhood there, and was dispersed by the police. Several 'resisted' arrest, nearly kicking off a riot.

Brotherhood in LA:
No headlines yet! You have been under the radar until now. You have gotten word out about yourself, having done some recruiting, which is why your alias, Zombie, has some notoriety. You were active in Deimos' group as well, so you are not a total unknown, even if most people aren't sure what you're about yet.

Registration Act: More properly called the Genetic Diversity Protection Act, this has quite a bit of press at the moment. Most headlines are favorable, or seem to be playing on the fears of the mundane populace. Some of the coverage includes the 'anti-discrimination' angle of the bill - mutants will be registered, yes, but it will become explicitly illegal to discriminate against them because of their genetic makeup.

More on the GDPA:
Each mutant will be classified with a threat rating, according to how dangerous they are. Every mutant is assessed a baseline threat rating based on their powers alone. If they have a criminal record, their rating is raised by one. If they have a record of violent crime, the rating is raised by two. Officially, no mutant can be rated higher than three on powers alone. However, individuals deemed to be unusually threatening may be rated higher. Note that five and six are not based merely on powers but on criminal behavior as well.

1: Minimal. Mutation is not inherently dangerous. Mutation offers little physical advantage over individual humans. Effects are usually limited to the individual mutant. Examples: Aimee Connors (baseline), Jo Holloway
2: Moderate. Mutation is potentially dangerous, or dangerous with limited effects. Mutation offers significant physical advantage over individual humans. Effects may extend beyond the individual mutant. Examples: Antonio Fernandez, Eel
3: Significant. Mutation is inherently dangerous. Mutation offers significant physical advantages over groups of humans. Effects may be environment-altering. Examples: Anna Fernandez, Squib
4: High. Mutation is inherently dangerous on a city-block scale. Significant trained manpower needed to overcome this individual. May threaten entire communities. Examples: Wildfire
5: Extreme. Individual shows a willingness to use mutation for violent crime. Only criminals can be given this rating. Examples: Vigilante
6: Critical. Individual uses mutation to wage war against the American government and its people. Mutation is dangerous enough to warrant a rating of three or four. Generally reserved for the leadership of extremist groups like the Brotherhood. Examples: Deimos, Jane.

edit: Technically all known Brotherhood members would be classified as 5 if they were known to have been involved in violent crime

quote:

Are there any wholesome pro-mutant organizations that we know of?
Mutant Lives Matter is a group that's been gaining some ground lately, mostly in reaction to recent incidents of police brutality against mutants!

quote:

There's apparently a secret organization that uses mutant assassins. Have we heard any rumors about that kind of stuff?
Hmm, nothing comes to mind. They must be good at keeping secrets...so far.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

hollylolly posted:

Registration Act: More properly called the Genetic Diversity Protection Act, this has quite a bit of press at the moment. Most headlines are favorable, or seem to be playing on the fears of the mundane populace. Some of the coverage includes the 'anti-discrimination' angle of the bill - mutants will be registered, yes, but it will become explicitly illegal to discriminate against them because of their genetic makeup.

More on the GDPA:
Each mutant will be classified with a threat rating, according to how dangerous they are. Every mutant is assessed a baseline threat rating based on their powers alone. If they have a criminal record, their rating is raised by one. If they have a record of violent crime, the rating is raised by two. Officially, no mutant can be rated higher than three on powers alone. However, individuals deemed to be unusually threatening may be rated higher. Note that five and six are not based merely on powers but on criminal behavior as well.

Hmm. What do we think about this, guys? I mean, obviously it's not great for us and our merry band personally, but would it help mutants at large out? If we intend to fight it, what angle do we take?

Absum
May 28, 2013

1. DA

Tomn posted:

Hmm. What do we think about this, guys? I mean, obviously it's not great for us and our merry band personally, but would it help mutants at large out? If we intend to fight it, what angle do we take?

Personally I think it sounds good. Registering all mutations/powers/quirks/whatever helps a lot with adapting society to them and also public safety + this bill has an anti discrimination thingy. The only negatives are witch hunts if the list is public and contains too much info.

Absum fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 30, 2015

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Tomn posted:

So, I've been doing some thinking. What is our goal? I don't mean this situation with the shelter, I mean our ultimate, final goal, the thing we're driving towards, the wish we'd spend if we happened to run across a benevolent genie. What are we working towards?

Well, from the OP, the organization we're part of characterizes itself like so:

quote:

A Brotherhood has formed, a series of underground cells of mutant freedom fighters who will stop at nothing to right the wrongs against their fellow mutants. To the Brotherhood mutants are the next step of human evolution, a step toward perfection or perhaps even perfection itself, while mundanes are the Neanderthals, doomed for extinction. Many call the Brotherhood a terror organization, but they insist that mutants have nothing to fear from them.

But the thing is, I dunno about you guys, but that seems a little...master racey to me. The humans and the subhumans. Don't worry too much about collateral, because the collateral doesn't matter - they're the discarded remnants of the past still clinging to life. We COULD do that, I suppose, and play it straight, but I don't think I've really got the stomach for it.

A more charitable interpretation might be "We don't care about mundanes one way or another, but since mutants are the next step of human evolution, we wish to protect them and shepherd them until they've gained enough critical mass to become the dominant species while the mundanes peacefully go extinct." I could get behind this, personally, though it'd take a little work to get into that headspace. The main thing to take away from such an interpretation, I think, is "We have a duty to protect mutants" - and that would be our primary goal if we go this route.

That description is part of why I was opposed to choosing Zombie, because I thought it was dumb. Evolution isn't something that happens in steps or stages, and Squib is not perfection. So, while I accept it as probably a common view in our organization, I think we ought to decide that Jane P. Zombie has a more nuanced view of the situation:

If you want to judge people, you have to judge people versus people, not huge groups versus other huge groups. There are certainly bright and wonderful mundanes, and Gifted who would be outshone by them. But say you take an example of some specific person, and then you compare that with the same person, except that they can levitate at-will. It's kind of hard to argue that the levitating guy is the worse of the pair, and the best course is to adopt some kind of "You can't judge people" position, because frankly, levitating sounds awesome.

As far as I'm thinking, our goal while mutants, gifted, whatever, are an oppressed or maligned minority group is to improve mutant rights and the public opinion of mutants, as well as taking the fight directly to those who oppose our existence or are otherwise hostile toward us. Ideally, we'll work to build our power and influence, both in terms of social connections, favors owed, money stashed away, etc., as well as a trained fighter corps. Given our description up there (which has its dumb contained to the middle sentence, really), which says "will stop at nothing to right the wrongs against their fellow mutants", it'd seem perfectly appropriate for us to use violence, engineer assassinations, be willing to take revenge out on individuals we feel have wronged us or the group we defend. However! We do not help our cause if we are well-known as terrible, murderous, awful people!

If the public opinion is against us, we need to work the public opinion as a whole. If questioned, we're concerned citizens. If pressed or assaulted, we're a paramilitary force with the ability to respond. If unnoticed, we're a terrorist spy network willing to use violence in untraceable ways to shift public discourse.

Also,

hollylolly posted:

There are cells in Arizona, Las Vegas, and Portland. You aren't aware of any of their current plans, though you do know that the Portland group has been very involved with the homeless population and getting them back on their feet. Well, the homeless population is declining, anyway.
This feels wrong. I don't think the homeless population in Portland is supposed to decline. My understanding of how things work is: Sometimes, because there are a lot of homeless people in Portland, people try to make the situation better, get the homeless off the streets. Then, because people are trying to help the homeless in Portland, more homeless people come here. That's always how I've heard it explained.

Maybe the Brotherhood chapter in Portland is eating the homeless. That would make sense.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tomn posted:

Fight it. We already have discrimination and violence being wielded against mutants, the last thing we need is to out everyone who doesn't have a visible mutation and paint a big bulls-eye on their back. I also don't trust the government not to abuse that list, especially if someone like Nixon is president.

It's a major violation of privacy and the pinky swear not to discriminate against mutants is a joke.

Edit:

Vavrek posted:

That description is part of why I was opposed to choosing Zombie, because I thought it was dumb. Evolution isn't something that happens in steps or stages, and Squib is not perfection. So, while I accept it as probably a common view in our organization, I think we ought to decide that Jane P. Zombie has a more nuanced view of the situation:

I think it's just referring to the fact that having powers is objectively better than not having them. Gifted individuals are for all intents and purposes regular humans +. The idea isn't that we're morally better or anything, just it should be recognized that being gifted is desirable and we take pride in that. Given that the Brotherhood isn't monolithic, we can slowly gain influence and spread the message not to be a bunch of Nazis about it.

Gaining influence within the Brotherhood is, therefore, a major goal, if only to put a leash on any idiot chapters that want to ruin this whole balancing act we're doing.

However, I'm against changing our Brotherhood chapter into a complete goody-goody operation and making a bunch of enemies + alienating several of our already limited members, but I think we can come to a happy compromise if we start some front groups advocating for mutant rights, doing charity work, etc... Those of us who want to bail on the Brotherhood if they go full Hitler (most of us) can just focus more and more on the front groups until they're the main focus and the Brotherhood is vestigial to our interests.

hollylolly posted:

No manifesto. You can certainly start outlining one if you like! If you really, really want to

We don't necessarily need a manifesto, but we do need a pretty solid idea of what we're about. If we're trying to recruit people, they will want to ask questions and get concrete answers. We should have an overarching goal (e.g. advancing the rights of gifted individuals), some concrete goals that illustrate what we're about (e.g. Registration is a violation of privacy that endangers gifted individuals, defending gifted individuals from violence, etc...), some accomplishments we can point to, why other groups like MLM aren't going to fix things, etc... We want people to have a pretty good idea of who we are and we want them to feel like joining us is important/desirable.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 30, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I did go a little overboard with the "master race" vibe in the description of the Brotherhood. But since it's an organization without a single, unifying leader, some cells do feel this way, and others do not.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ElrondHubbard posted:

However, I'm against changing our Brotherhood chapter into a complete goody-goody operation and making a bunch of enemies + alienating several of our already limited members, but I think we can come to a happy compromise if we start some front groups advocating for mutant rights, doing charity work, etc...

Hmm...I wonder if we know anyone who might be interested in good works and manning such a public front - say, like a shelter for at-risk teens...? We'd need to do something to convince that person we're good guys worth working with, though. I wonder what?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Tomn posted:

"While obviously we applaud the anti-discrimination measure, we have concerns about its enforcement, given it was only passed as part of an overall anti-Novus piece of legislation. Yes, concern over the potential for crime is reasonable, as it is whether the potential perpetrator is baseline or not. Do we force, or even ask, martial artists to register themselves once they have undergone training? No dojo is legally obliged to teach caution and restraint along with their throws and incapacitation holds. But to permanently raise a person's threat rating on the basis of past offenses is not only a travesty of justice here, it is a sign, a symptom, of America's tragic mistreatment of those who, we are told, have done their time, have served their debt to society, already. The final provision in this rating system, of unusually threatening individuals, is exactly the kind of pretty words put in front of disgusting bigotry we have seen time and time again in this nation's history. Who here will be surprised when Caucasians seem less threatening, men more trustworthy, in the eyes of whatever unknown judges are assigning these ratings?"

ElrondHubbard posted:

I think it's just referring to the fact that having powers is objectively better than not having them. Gifted individuals are for all intents and purposes regular humans +. The idea isn't that we're morally better or anything, just it should be recognized that being gifted is desirable and we take pride in that. Given that the Brotherhood isn't monolithic, we can slowly gain influence and spread the message not to be a bunch of Nazis about it.
The idea of people having moral worth is one that doesn't make much sense to me, though it seems to be a common issue for many people, and I wanted to stake out my view for what Jane might think. Seems like you and I agree about how to think and act here, actually.

hollylolly posted:

I did go a little overboard with the "master race" vibe in the description of the Brotherhood. But since it's an organization without a single, unifying leader, some cells do feel this way, and others do not.
Hey! It works out. I kind of like the idea of us being a ruthlessly violent lieutenant or captain in a great big hodgepodge of zealous pro-mutant bigots; a ruthlessly violent captain who isn't bloodthirsty, a racist, or an idiot, just someone who wants to change the face of the world / mind of the people.

As a side note, I want to use a different non-pejorative term for Mutants each time I post, but I think I'll run out of ideas really fast. I encourage you all to try similarly.

edit: if we're ever a successful terrorist organization influencing public discourse and what gets said on TV, I want something like this scene to happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuqvlMxfGA4
Really, I just want more people to watch that clip, because it's hilarious, and from a wonderful film.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 30, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

hollylolly posted:

"Are there any Brotherhood sympathizers at the House?"

Intercept nods, then shrugs, pulls off his beanie and scratches his scalp. "Someone in the house is posting on the Mutant Rights message boards, but it's hard to say which one other than its a girl. She's someone who's had a lot of discrimination against her and a chip on her shoulder to match. Could be a recruit if we play our cards right. Anna Fernandez is against the Brotherhood. She thinks we're just another gang who doesn't care who we hurt as long as we protect our own."

Well, she isn't exactly wrong about that. "I know her ability is something to do with ice, but what about her brothers? Or the kids at the House?"

"The Fernandez clan is pretty big," he says, tugging the beanie back down over his head. "Big bro Alonso can manipulate air - flying, directed wind, that sort of thing. He lives in Riverside with his wife and kids. Paolo manipulates sound in some manner - he's in the SFPD, and isn't in town that I know of. Joaquin...not quite sure what he does, besides some modeling. Marcelo is becoming a priest and he has enhanced speed and reflexes. I don't know how fast he can go. He's in San Diego. And lastly we have Antonio, college student and currently spending the summer with his big sister. His ability is inorganic transformation - he can turn his body into just about anything, as long as he's touching some of the same material. He's been to some recent protests, and is probably a likely target for recruitment. Moreso than any of the others, anyway.

Sounds like the shelter isn't going to be easy to convince, but helping them is a start. Recruiting the sympathizer in the shelter could either make things better or worse, as could recruiting Antonio. Before we do anything, we do need to address the cashflow problem we currently have, since we can't really afford front groups at the moment.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 30, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I'm going to leave the vote open for a while longer. Our results so far (exactingly calculated via Borda count) are to (1) DIVIDE THE LOCOS, (2) WIN HEARTS, and (3) FIND STASH (but not at all costs). More than half of you also don't mind DROPPING BODIES while you do so, but listed it as your last priority which to me means we wouldn't be trying to up the body count, but we won't cry ourselves to sleep about dead Locos in the street, either.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hollylolly posted:

I'm going to leave the vote open for a while longer. Our results so far (exactingly calculated via Borda count) are to (1) DIVIDE THE LOCOS, (2) WIN HEARTS, and (3) FIND STASH (but not at all costs). More than half of you also don't mind DROPPING BODIES while you do so, but listed it as your last priority which to me means we wouldn't be trying to up the body count, but we won't cry ourselves to sleep about dead Locos in the street, either.

Keep the flashy blow em up types on a tight leash. Dead bodies or no we'll attract a large amount of negative attention if people think we're using weapons of war, even more so if it's mutants.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Long term goal possibility: Foster good relations in public, everything's nice and above board, registration, good PR, work for the betterment of mankind, etc. Meanwhile, work on finding a way to harness "mutant" variations to carve out a new niche for ourselves in secret. The wonderous thing about humans is their adaptability, they can live almost anywhere. Almost. We're even better, and if we want to ensure, not just hope, that mutants are able to survive and thrive, to live into their potential and eventually replace "normals", it'd be very helpful to find a place that's just our own, where we can progress and where the "normals" can't get at us.

Who knows if we can, but there's even more potential in mutants than in normals. We have people who can control ice, fire, dreams, etc. Teleporters. Start searching for mutants who have abilities that might help us carve out a place to live in areas that would be otherwise uninhabitable by man. People who can control plants and fertilities, people who can control water, atmosphere, geological formations. Maybe we can find somebody who can open rifts to pocket dimensions.

Work with humans, but recognize that if we think we're the next step we'll need to be ready to phase them out too, and that they probably won't want to be phased out, and that if things don't go well, we need a place to develop our society to where we can exist without their sufferance, to grow large enough to be a viable people apart, rather than one in constant danger of being genetically or militarily wiped out.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

Long term goal possibility: Foster good relations in public, everything's nice and above board, registration, good PR, work for the betterment of mankind, etc. Meanwhile, work on finding a way to harness "mutant" variations to carve out a new niche for ourselves in secret. The wonderous thing about humans is their adaptability, they can live almost anywhere. Almost. We're even better, and if we want to ensure, not just hope, that mutants are able to survive and thrive, to live into their potential and eventually replace "normals", it'd be very helpful to find a place that's just our own, where we can progress and where the "normals" can't get at us.

Who knows if we can, but there's even more potential in mutants than in normals. We have people who can control ice, fire, dreams, etc. Teleporters. Start searching for mutants who have abilities that might help us carve out a place to live in areas that would be otherwise uninhabitable by man. People who can control plants and fertilities, people who can control water, atmosphere, geological formations. Maybe we can find somebody who can open rifts to pocket dimensions.

Work with humans, but recognize that if we think we're the next step we'll need to be ready to phase them out too, and that they probably won't want to be phased out, and that if things don't go well, we need a place to develop our society to where we can exist without their sufferance, to grow large enough to be a viable people apart, rather than one in constant danger of being genetically or militarily wiped out.

The normies have nukes. We will be in greater danger if we're concentrated in one uninhabitable area (aka no potential collateral damage) than spread out and hidden among the population. Better to infiltrate all sectors of the political/military/intelligence apparatus and maintain things that way.

I do like the idea of using gifted individuals' talents to their fullest potential to advance the cause. If we get some mind readers, remote viewers, and electronics masters (like intercept), we can really speed this whole process up.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Yeah, hole in the plan is that if it turns out we're not as isolated as we thought, which we probably won't be, then it'd make an attractive target, both militaristically and rhetorically (The mutants are amassing behind our backs!). We can always do both though, mass infiltration and a hideout in which we can develop a culture and society. A lot of that depends on what sort of mutants we find though. If all we have is some underwater base, or some secret place in the mountains of antarctica, we might be in trouble. If, on the other hand, we have some sort of pocket deep under the earth, or in another dimension, or even a place hidden behind some sort of persistant mind-fuckery, we might be talking. Particularly if we can find somebody capable of interrupting things like nukes.

I mean, we already have, what's his name, Intercept? A guy who can basically access and manipulate any sort of electronic device, or anything connected to the internet, is a huge asset if used properly. Basically it all depends on what sort of mutants we find, so the first step is branching out and trying to locate as many potentially useful mutants as we can, which should help no matter what we decide to do with them.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
DCA: The most important thing is making the local mutant community see that the Brotherhood is looking out for them. Getting the anti-mutant assholes to splinter is a far more permanent solution than just burying a few of them. While we shouldn't be afraid to kill some of 'em if we have to, that isn't a goal.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Can we submit mutants to be in the story? I have a few ideas in my head from since I was a child that I want to see in action.

Also DCA

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

More long term question, but:

How are mutants being treated internationally?

I'm assuming there would be some crisis regions around the globe in terms of the treatment of mutants and that a pretty great move to bolster our ranks would be to begin international outreach operations to try and save as many mutants as possible. Intercept might help with faking documentation and getting them aboard planes and boats heading our way. Once we have some shelters set up, we could house and recruit them.

This would take influence and money (we have neither), but it's something to reach for. We should make contacts with smugglers and human traffickers, you know, for good reasons.

quote:

There are rumors of paramilitary organizations using mutants against other mutants, or of horrible experimentation done in the name of creating super soldiers. Secret societies bent on world domination for one side, or the other. These are just rumors. Right?

This whole thing is going to get more complicated, isn't it? If we ever run into them, we should ask them for tips about staying under the radar. Also, we might be able to score a sweet doom fortress HQ from wrecking one of those secret organizations.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 30, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Lazaruise posted:

Can we submit mutants to be in the story? I have a few ideas in my head from since I was a child that I want to see in action.

Also DCA

You can submit a mutant idea (name, ability) either in thread or PM me. I'll do my best to incorporate them (but no promises). I actually spent a bit of time yesterday trying to come up with a list of more mutants for us to come across, so the more the merrier. :v:

Edit: mutants with game breaking abilities won't be used. I'll be adding a weakness/downside to the character to balance them out if you don't.

ElrondHubbard posted:

This whole thing is going to get more complicated, isn't it? If we ever run into them, we should ask them for tips about staying under the radar. Also, we might be able to score a sweet doom fortress HQ from wrecking one of those secret organizations.
I hear killing all the witnesses is a great way to keep secrets!

I'll get to the "how are mutants treated abroad" question a little later. The general answer is "worse in some places, and better in others," which isn't helpful, so I'll get more specific in a bit.

EDIT: :siren:World News Knowledge Bonus:siren:

MUTANTS WORLDWIDE
Europe
Mutants are treated as equals. There is some fear among the general populace, but everyone tries to get along. Violent mutants are not held up as examples of how bad other mutants are, just treated as individuals. Germany is seen as the most progressive as far as laws pertaining to mutants and protecting their individual rights as people.

Australia
It’s all pretty laid back here, mate. You don’t cause trouble, you don’t get trouble.

UK
Already have a mutant registry to keep tabs on possibly violent mutants

Russia
Russian mutants are outlawed. Generally they’re objects of fear, and the government doesn’t like any mutant they don’t personally control.

Asia
Mutants with visible deformities are unwanted. Any child born that way is abandoned (not universally, but generally). Mutants who are deemed useful are lauded in the media, those who cause trouble or upset the status quo disappear.
North Korea swears it has no mutants at all whatsoever. Conversely, they also keep the rumor going that they have a mutant who can create a nuclear explosion.

Middle East
Mutants are accepted in society, though visible mutations have to be covered. A Saudi prince is a known mutant, cold blooded with lizard like scales on his body. Assume some sort of war in Iraq happened. I don’t want to get too “current events” with this, so the US military was involved in peacekeeping in the area and mutant insurgents were making things difficult.

Africa
African mutants have helped the continent in some countries, creating stability where once warlords fought with each other. The siren call of POWER may be too much, even for these altruistic mutants, who may end up replacing the warlords they took down. For now, mutants have helped make Africa a better place.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 30, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Pretty sure mutants that can spit fire and wreck havoc would become the next Kony in more troubled areas.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Pretty sure mutants that can spit fire and wreck havoc would become the next Kony in more troubled areas.

All I'm saying is they started out with good intentions (and will probably end up being as bad or worse than the guy they took down). A fire breathing mutant could be a really sweet, nice guy, but take advise from the wrong people, or just get corrupted along the way with all the little compromises they have to make to keep the peace.

So, I think we agree.

We probably aren't going to Africa any time soon, though. Are we? :ohdear:

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

We should start brushing up on our Russian and/or get around to recruiting a mutant that's a universal translator. Maybe after we get set up our HQ and resolve the Locos issue, we can start trying to find some contacts within Russia via Intercept and get a system set up for transporting mutants over here via our underground trans-siberian railroad.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 30, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

hollylolly posted:

We probably aren't going to Africa any time soon, though. Are we? :ohdear:

Let's drag this poo poo off the rails. The mutants are going to Africa!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

It is around noon. Vigilante has just arrived, and you’ve heard from Eel that he’s been released from police custody and is trying to find where his car ended up at. Billy is still lurking on and around Banyon Street, hopefully staying out of sight and not scaring the locals.

Squib puts a frozen pizza into the oven. “I don’t know about you guys, but I’m starving.” He wads up the plastic wrapper and tosses it at the garbage can, where it falls to the ground. You grimace internally. For someone with his special ability, not being able to hit what he’s aiming at is a real problem. He’s getting better, but more training is needed.

Wildfire leans forward from where she’s perched on the edge of the couch. “So, we gonna burn out these Locos?” She bites her lower lip a little as she raises her eyebrows, shoving Squib to the side when he sits down too close to her.

“Not exactly,” you say, finishing off the last of your fries from the fast food you picked up on the way home. Home. Ugh. “The way I see it, we have a couple objectives tonight.” You look at Intercept. “It is still tonight, right?”

“Alls quiet at the moment,” he agrees. “Stick and Eightball were hanging out at the nearby 7-11 about an hour ago, but they separated. They didn’t go toward the shelter. I followed them on camera for a while but coverage isn’t great in Los Santos. I have facial recognition running for them and the other known Locos members. Once they start congregating I’ll know.” He pauses, and then shrugs. “Maybe not exactly where they’re meeting.”

“Anything is good,” you say. “So we have to protect the shelter, Redención House. We can’t count on backup from the shelter, but I know they’ve got some heavy hitters there. From what I know about Anna is that she’s extremely non-violent and encourages the kids to be the same. I want to do what we can to respect her wishes - see if we can get her to see that we aren’t the terrorists the news has told her we are.

“Keeping her and those kids safe is the number one priority, as is winning them as allies. Next, I want to see what we can do about dividing up the Locos. They have Carlos as their leader, but he’s not likely to be there. The two lieutenants, Eightball and Stick, they’re the targets here. If we take out them both, or just one of them, then the gang would just continue following under Carlos, or whoever survives. We can’t kill them. Intercept?” You point at him and crack open another Rockstar as he takes over for a minute.

“Kyle “Eightball” Morales, he’s the brains of the operation. He keeps the drug dealing side of things running smooth for the Locos. Procurement, distribution, money, he’s the dude.” Intercept scratches his beard. “Johnny “Stick” Arroyo is the muscle. He likes beating people with wooden baseball bats, hence the nickname. He’s been with Carlos longer and has always been his enforcer.”

Squib jumps up to check on his pizza as the timer rings, jostling Wildfire and Vigilante. Wildfire follows Squib into the kitchen area to steal a slice of pepperoni. You look at Vigilante. Her real name is Ginny, and she has dark circles under her eyes like she was up all night. She catches you looking, and raises an eyebrow. “Do we have a plan for dealing with these pricks?”

“Not yet,” you admit. “My idea so far is to make it look like one of them tipped us off to the event tonight. If you have a better one, I’d like to hear it.” She shrugs under her leather jacket, and you move on. “Lastly, we know the Locos run a lot of drugs into the area and they’re probably sitting on a good pile of money wherever it is they hole up at. If we can find out where their HQ is tonight, I won’t complain. If things go our way we might even be able to strike them there while they’re out occupied on Banyon Street. I don’t want to bite off more than we can chew, but if the Boneyard comes through we’ll be able to split up.

“Lastly, I know some of you wouldn’t mind killing the Locos to send a message - I don’t think this is the kind of message we want to be sending. And making a pile of bodies outside her house isn’t a great way to win over Anna Fernandez. So try to go non-lethal unless it’s you or them. Incapacitate, and leave them for the cops. This is a neighborhood, so someone’s granny is going to be calling 911 as soon as it starts getting loud.”

“Usually takes about twenty minutes for the cops to respond, but we did tip them off earlier and they’ve added an extra patrol in the area,” added Intercept. “Cops could be there within five minutes.”

Ginny straightens up on the couch, looking over at Wildfire and Squib in the kitchen stuffing pizza into their faces. “Have you heard of Headlight?”

You shrug, and look at Intercept, who turns back to his screens immediately as he talks. “New drug on the market. Don’t know much about it.”

“I heard the Locos are trying to corner the market on it,” Ginny says. “It gives you a euphoric high, but you sorta, like, pause for the duration. Like a deer in the headlights,” she adds. “But there’s more. That’s the effect on vanilla humans, but for us… it strengthens your power. No pause...until afterward. Then your ability sort of fades out for an hour or so. Not gone but… its less.”

“That doesn’t sound like something that’s true,” you say, incredulously.

“Oh, I didn’t think so either. So I tried it last night.” Vigilante forces a smile. “That’s exactly what it does.”

1. Headlight?
A. Ask her if she has more, try it yourself
B. Ask her if she has more, save it for tonight, or later.
C. Reprimand her for doing drugs.

2. What about our plan of attack?
D. What we have is good enough for now, we can play it by ear as things start happening
E. Write in your own plan!

3. Fast Forward to Tonight?
F. Yes
G. No

You may question Wildfire, Vigilante, Intercept, and Squib, (and text questions to Billy and Eel) as well as your own knowledge.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
C D F

Don't get high on your own Supply!

Really we need our members that can get dependent on drugs clean. It's a liability and compromises their effectiveness. Don't be too hard on her now, but tell her to be careful. She's our crew and we need her 100%. Anything like Headlight is gotta have some Nasty effects and is being made by some nastier people.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

C E F

C: Using drugs that haven't been clinically tested for side effects is a bad idea. As is using non-prescription narcotics in general. The last thing we need is a junky who can't use their powers and is also suffering from sporadic seizures and brain cancer. Make it clear to the rest that we can't taint the purity of our bodily fluids / just say no to drugs, especially ones being manufactured and distributed by a bunch of anti-mutant jerks with an interest in seeing mutants dead.

E: Play it by ear, but prepare in advance. Making it look like one of them tipped us off seems like it would be insufficient. Getting the lieutenants to fight each other would be easier if Intercept helped out a bit: messages, money trails, rumors, making it look like one of them screwed the other's girlfriend, etc... making it look like they're trying to cheat each other or have more money than they should / cheating the organization. Vigilante can plant some physical evidence implicating one or the other / steal something from one and plant it in the other's possession. I don't think we'll be able to split the Locos tonight, but we can definitely lay the groundwork so that things collapse like dominoes once we set them in motion.

F: Unless we have something else we need to do, let's just assume we spent the rest of the time gathering stuff, intel, people, and began working on our major projects.

Tell Wildfire there will be opportunities to do some real damage to the Locos soon, just that we need to play it safe with the Mutant shelter being in play.

She's a major asset and we don't want her getting trigger happy today or looking for an excuse to have some fun, we need her disciplined so that the shelter folks don't think we're a bunch of murderous lunatics. After we win their trust, we can plan our full murderous lunatic attack on the Locos.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 1, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I will note that within your own possessions is some cocaine for the purpose of re-enacting the movie Crank if you need to.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

ElrondHubbard posted:

C E F

C: Using drugs that haven't been clinically tested for side effects is a bad idea. As is using non-prescription narcotics in general. The last thing we need is a junky who can't use their powers and is also suffering from sporadic seizures and brain cancer. Make it clear to the rest that we can't taint the purity of our bodily fluids / just say no to drugs, especially ones being manufactured and distributed by a bunch of anti-mutant jerks with an interest in seeing mutants dead.

E: Play it by ear, but prepare in advance. Making it look like one of them tipped us off seems like it would be insufficient. Getting the lieutenants to fight each other would be easier if Intercept helped out a bit: messages, money trails, rumors, making it look like one of them screwed the other's girlfriend, etc... making it look like they're trying to cheat each other or have more money than they should / cheating the organization. Vigilante can plant some physical evidence implicating one or the other / steal something from one and plant it in the other's possession. I don't think we'll be able to split the Locos tonight, but we can definitely lay the groundwork so that things collapse like dominoes once we set them in motion.

F: Unless we have something else we need to do, let's just assume we spent the rest of the time gathering stuff, intel, people, and began working on our major projects.

Tell Wildfire there will be opportunities to do some real damage to the Locos soon, just that we need to play it safe with the Mutant shelter being in play.

She's a major asset and we don't want her getting trigger happy today or looking for an excuse to have some fun, we need her disciplined so that the shelter folks don't think we're a bunch of murderous lunatics. After we win their trust, we can plan our full murderous lunatic attack on the Locos.

This is mostly good, but as far as the drugs go just remind her that being caught without her powers could be a death sentence. We might find a use for it at some point, but it's a huge risk.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

hollylolly posted:

I will note that within your own possessions is some cocaine for the purpose of re-enacting the movie Crank if you need to.

Yes but our power directly interacts with the drug and its used to literally save our life. Headlight is an obvious ploy by the CIA to infiltrate the mutant community with a drug that increases aggression and dependence while also weakening the moral fabric of mutant society and turning the public against us.

It's okay that she tested it, but no way in hell should she ever use it again. Stick to something nice like caffeine or pot. Not some poo poo cooked up to be literal poison. Endurance wins mutant fights, not going out in a blaze. That's not what the Brotherhood stands for.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

Yes but our power directly interacts with the drug and its used to literally save our life. Headlight is an obvious ploy by the CIA to infiltrate the mutant community with a drug that increases aggression and dependence while also weakening the moral fabric of mutant society and turning the public against us.

It's okay that she tested it, but no way in hell should she ever use it again. Stick to something nice like caffeine or pot. Not some poo poo cooked up to be literal poison. Endurance wins mutant fights, not going out in a blaze. That's not what the Brotherhood stands for.

Yeah, I'm pretty suspicious of any drugs that have any effect on mutant powers, even if they initially seem semi-beneficial. :tinfoil:

We need to recruit this guy to the cause:

I'm pretty sure he's a mutant of some sort and it'll be fun to have him around. We'll get to be dismissive of his lunatic nonsense, only to have it turn out to be terrifyingly accurate.

Edit:

Have Intercept take a closer look at the Locos. Are there any signs they have any backing from outside groups? What's the source for their drug supply? Anything unusual about them or the way they operate?

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 1, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

ElrondHubbard posted:

Have Intercept take a closer look at the Locos. Are there any signs they have any backing from outside groups? What's the source for their drug supply? Anything unusual about them or the way they operate?

Intercept says, "They seem to be supplied from Mexico, but aren't affiliated with a specific cartel or anything like that. I can't tell where the Headlight is coming from, yet. They don't look any different than other gangs as far as how they operate. I can take a closer look, but it's going to take some time to sort through the noise."

quote:

You tell her this.
She rolls her eyes, but says, "Just as long as I get to burn something. Soon." You get the feeling that she may go looking for satisfaction on her own time if you don't let her off the leash soon.

fake edit: is this too boring? only three votes in 24 hours has me doubting everything :gonk:

:siren:Voting will stay open until we get enough to form a consensus.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 1, 2015

Absum
May 28, 2013

1. C
2. D
3. F

I will be reading this even if I'm not voting (I don't like to vote very much to be honest).

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

hollylolly posted:

fake edit: is this too boring? only three votes in 24 hours has me doubting everything :gonk:

No, it's cool.

For 1, I'll vote B, 'cos just having some handy in case sounds fair enough. What's the point of being rebels if we're all "THE FDA SAYS WINNERS DON'T DO DRUGS."

For 2, I have no fecking idea. I'm not a strategist, I have no idea about actual layouts or operational risks, and there's no way in hell I can guess something. For votes like this, maybe give us a few options, with strengths and weaknesses?

For 3, it's totally up to you. Again, no possible way to guess. Do you have nothing planned for the day? Great, take us to the evening. Do you have stuff going on that could be interesting? Great, take us to that instead. But we don't know what you're going to write!

In game design, it's a general truism that blind choice is worse that no choice. Asking the players if they want to go left or right -- with no context to give meaning -- isn't interactive, it's just annoying. The best decisions are ones that clearly give a chance to demonstrate the character of the decider, the nature of the world the decider is in, or both. Question 1 above is a good example. If they go on to also have interesting effects, so much the better -- freeform games shine here.

You're doing fine, but try to shy away a bit from blind choices, and have the confidence to roll with what we're choosing and develop it.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
It's super fun to read, I am just very indecisive so vote infrequently.

1. Headlight?
D. Tell her we need to look into it more before doing anything else with it.

2. What about our plan of attack?
D. What we have is good enough for now, we can play it by ear as things start happening

3. Fast Forward to Tonight?
F. Yes

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ghostwoods posted:

No, it's cool.

For 1, I'll vote B, 'cos just having some handy in case sounds fair enough. What's the point of being rebels if we're all "THE FDA SAYS WINNERS DON'T DO DRUGS."

For 2, I have no fecking idea. I'm not a strategist, I have no idea about actual layouts or operational risks, and there's no way in hell I can guess something. For votes like this, maybe give us a few options, with strengths and weaknesses?

For 3, it's totally up to you. Again, no possible way to guess. Do you have nothing planned for the day? Great, take us to the evening. Do you have stuff going on that could be interesting? Great, take us to that instead. But we don't know what you're going to write!

In game design, it's a general truism that blind choice is worse that no choice. Asking the players if they want to go left or right -- with no context to give meaning -- isn't interactive, it's just annoying. The best decisions are ones that clearly give a chance to demonstrate the character of the decider, the nature of the world the decider is in, or both. Question 1 above is a good example. If they go on to also have interesting effects, so much the better -- freeform games shine here.

You're doing fine, but try to shy away a bit from blind choices, and have the confidence to roll with what we're choosing and develop it.

These are good tips and I can see how I should/could have worded things differently. Thanks :) I will do better!

As a character you don't really know what the layout is on Banyon Street, but I keep forgetting Billy is there doing recon at the moment. :doh:. :siren:You do know there is an alley that runs behind the houses and the shelter is a large two story house in the middle of a block. :siren:

I don't really have anything planned before the rumble tonight. :ohdear: If we skip ahead it'll be to where we meet up with Eel and Billy in Los Santos, probably to about dinner time, in game.

If question time uncovers anything we decide we want to explore further before that, we can do that.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

hollylolly posted:

I don't really have anything planned before the rumble tonight. :ohdear: If we skip ahead it'll be to where we meet up with Eel and Billy in Los Santos, probably to about dinner time, in game.

That all sounds good.

Your :ohdear: is undeserved... All good stories have ebb and flow, and they dance past the down-time with a word here or there. Most of life is really tedious, even on adventures. Always jaunt past the dead spaces to the places where you see stuff happening :) Have faith in your visions!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

“You just...tried it?” You frown at Vigilante, barely resisting folding your arms across your chest like some self-righteous paragon of justice. Which you most certainly aren’t, but you can’t have your members experimenting with unknown drugs whenever they feel like it. “I hope you’re not expecting some sort of ‘atta girl’ for that. Regardless of anything else, you know you can’t afford to get caught out without your full abilities.” You pause for a moment, thinking. “Anything like Headlight that just happens to affect mutants like you say it does is pretty suspect. Keep an eye on yourself for any other weird side effects.”

Vigilante nods, and adds, “I’m not a junky, Jane. I’m not going to say ‘I know what I’m doing,’ but it was a one time thing. The downswing was...it was just weird. I could still ‘port, but only a fraction of my usual distance, and I got tired out quickly. As far as experiments go, I know it was stupid, and I won’t be doing it again.”

Satisfied, for now, you instruct everyone to get ready for tonight.

SOME TIME LATER...IN LOS SANTOS...

Los Santos has the look and feel of a city that used to be nice, but hit it’s peak years ago. Declining neighborhoods are equal parts low income apartment buildings, grandparents who had their houses built when the majority of the area was still citrus groves, and middle class families just trying to scrape by in a house that could use some more work than they can really afford.

On Banyon Street, in the middle of the block between Lemon Ave and Orange Grove Ln, is Redención House.

It’s front porch seems to be in dire need of shoring up, but overall it’s clean and maintained as well as can be expected. The driveway goes back to a detached garage, behind which there is a narrow alleyway that runs behind all the houses. The backyard is fenced with chainlink and you can see a pretty elaborate looking vegetable garden is laid out. There’s a big tree in the back, close to the fence and the alley, with overhanging branches that should have been cut back.

As the sun begins to go down, you’re gathered inside a Denny’s a few blocks away, in Barrio Boneyard turf. Vigilante is hanging out on Banyon Street, keeping an eye on things, but all’s quiet for the moment. Eel is nursing a glass of water while Squib stuffs fries into his mouth and Wildfire looks bored. Billy is sitting back with his arms crossed, looking surly. In his defense, he always looks surly. Intercept is back at the apartment, but only a text away.

You look at Eel. He had a little trouble getting his car out of police impound, but you’ve promised to reimburse him the towing fee. After all, you did tell him to leave his car and join the protest, so it’s the least you can do. He meets your eyes, and smiles. You’re about to ask him if he met any mutants who seem like a good fit for the Brotherhood, when your phone starts vibrating. The Barrio Boneyard is calling you. Intercept has sent you a text message: video - vigilante last night. You skip the text and pick up the call.

”We’re in. Big Mike says send your guy to Lemon and El Camino, and we’ll pick him up.” El Camino is a few blocks north of Banyon Street and on the edge of the Boneyard, not too far from where you are now.

1. You reply:
A. “Sure thing, I’ll send him right over.”
B. “How do I know you’re going to actually show up when the Locos make their move?”
C. "We'll all come, and go to Banyon Street together."
D. “No, you get him after this goes down and not a second before.”
E. Something else. Write in.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
D. That was the plan man. (You can borrow the moron after we've trained him a bit.)

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Now or later, either way send Vigilante to keep an eye on him when he goes.

She's best suited to staying close enough to help without getting into trouble herself.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
D was the deal, wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

E. Get more details.

Why the deviation from the plan? What's their gameplan (# of people, what they plan to do, how they plan to do it)?

These guys might know something we don't, so let's reserve judgment.

Tran posted:

Now or later, either way send Vigilante to keep an eye on him when he goes.

She's best suited to staying close enough to help without getting into trouble herself.

Also, this.

• Locked thread