Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I would assume everything about our operation is compromised after being brain scooped by Odin. Most likely why that tank is electronically hardened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Arkanomen posted:

I would assume everything about our operation is compromised after being brain scooped by Odin. Most likely why that tank is electronically hardened.

What makes you think Odin has anything to do with Haven's tank thing?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hollylolly posted:

Our tinfoil hats are stronger than your misdirection, Holly.

I'm worried that powers like Antonio's will just kill him if hit by deadlight. Suddenly he can't control it and he takes the form of air and dissipates. There goes our romantic interest, well one of them anyway.

Ask Speedy González if he'd be able to jam a rod or something in that things treads.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Ask Speedy González if he'd be able to jam a rod or something in that things treads.

Marcelo shrugs. "Yeah. Do you have a metal rod? I don't think a branch is going to do the trick on something like that." He hesitates. "Just because I can doesn't mean I want to. I mean, it hasn't done anything yet."

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

hollylolly posted:

Haven is a subsidiary of the Brotherhood top leadership under command of our FEARLESS LEADER Deimos who is a member of Odin's cabal. Deimos is obviously paralleling, working Haven to seemingly achieve Haven's goals of super soldiers and Odin's goal of ??? while actually concocting a "Super Mutant" serum to give himself god-like powers so he can topple Odin and the Humans in one swoop. A large component of that is getting our immortality power, but neither Odin nor Haven can find out about that.

Need to find out some more about Odin and his motives but I think he's following the standard "Apocalypse" avenue of ancient battles/grudges.

I'm just speculating but it feels that way.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I'm taking notes! :frogon:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Okay so we know Haven is developing some sort of Super Soldier serum that uses real mutants and kinda converts their juices into mutant power potions.

Demi and the Brotherhood are all "Mutants First" so he's going to be working any angle he can to promote that agenda and protect his people. He's going to get the strongest and best mutants in his inner circle to make sure Mutants first, one being room sized shoggoth guy, next being Jane. I would guess eventually he found/was found by Odin and Odin has some other plans that conflict or threaten mutants.

Demi can't fight him yet because powers don't really evolve. A mutant that sprouts fuzzy green fur won't suddenly turn into a furry hulk. Unless you happen to get a jugular full of Haven Drugs.

It would make sense that a paramilitary group would seek alliances or turncoats from the Mutants First brotherhood. Demi is a big score and may even be playing double agent, collecting powerful mutants and also helping Haven push Mutant Science in ways supportive of his secret agenda (Stronger Mutants, concert all humans to mutants, stop Odin?).

We know Odin and the Brotherhood are linked by virtue of Demi and his Odin lackey's most recent visit. We lack evidence of Demi's motives and the link between Demi and Haven, but I can make a pretty good assumption based at the power levels at play (Senators, Haven funding and police backing, that time we played chicken on the highway).

There's a deep conspiracy we are just beginning to poke here and we have a few missing bits. We need to stop going to those rallies with kids and get them into our school for wayward mutants so we can build up a "safe house" and keep working.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Anna seems awfully comfortable in her house... it would be a shame if anything happened to it and she needed a new place to live...

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

hollylolly posted:

Anna seems awfully comfortable in her house... it would be a shame if anything happened to it and she needed a new place to live...

It's already a house full of teenagers, let alone mutant ones, I'm surprised it hasn't been destroyed already.

"Billy you stink, go take a shower."
"YOU AREN'T MY REAL MOM." *Explodes into a ball of fire*

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

It's already a house full of teenagers, let alone mutant ones, I'm surprised it hasn't been destroyed already.

"Billy you stink, go take a shower."
"YOU AREN'T MY REAL MOM." *Explodes into a ball of fire*

We could find a particularly needy child with very destructive abilities and a bad temperament and just... send them over...

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

hollylolly posted:

We could find a particularly needy child with very destructive abilities and a bad temperament and just... send them over...

....Call it plan-B.
I think a really nice facility that has some funding and protection will be enough to draw mama in. Need it to be "Her Choice" or we aren't any better than our adversaries.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: Aimee :siren:

Aimee pushed forward toward Jenn, and took her roommate’s elbow and interrupting her mid-chant. “We need to get out of here.”

“Oh please, it’s just the adults trying to tell us what to do.”

“Well… we promised to follow Anna’s rules, and she wants us to come home.” Aimee pointed at Susie, standing still while everyone else was walking. “Plus, look at her.”

Jenn turned, looked, and shrugged. “So what? She’s always staring like that.” Antonio wrapped an arm around Susie, pulling her along with the others. She looked dazed, and her cheeks were wet with tears. “Okay, maybe not quite like that.” A edge of worry trickled into her voice, and Jenn grabbed Scott, yanking him to the side as the whole group made their way to the edge of the crowd on the other side of the street.

:siren: YOU/Jane :siren:

“We’ve got incoming,” you say into the comms. “Purists’ counter-protest is about to confront the front of the march. The Sentinel and it’s posse are still bringing up the rear slowly.” It doesn’t look like Haven/the LAPD are keen on pressing a confrontation, just making sure the protesters keep moving along their prescribed route.

Or maybe that’s just what they want you to believe.

You tell Eel:
A.
Have him do his best to keep the Purists (or the MLM people) from starting anything.
B. Make sure if the Purists are going to punch anyone that it’s your guys and not innocent protesters. Have Eel get aggressively involved.
C. Don’t get involved. Let the protests clash, and stay clear. Stay ready for anything else to happen.

#hacktivsm
Ask Intercept to do extensive hacking, start large, unpermitted protests in other parts of LA to cause chaos and spread the LAPD/Haven thin.
2. Don’t ask Intercept to do a lot of hacking, not wanting to tip your hand that you have a master hacker on board.
3. I have a plan that is somewhere between no hacking and ALL THE HACKING.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
C-c-c-combo plan

Something bad is going to happen, so we gotta make sure we protect our priorities. First are the children, second is our team, third are mutant protestors and last are humans.

The two sides are about to clash. There is a 0% chance fighting won't erupt between the Purists and the MLM. Haven is counting on this because they want more Mutant specimens and to test out.

Media attention is the only way we can save mutant lives and get out kids out in time.

1. Eel gathers the kiddies and tells them to start heading to the back of the MLM group for extraction.

2.Intercept starts an online blitz of #HumanToo. Announce the MLM parade as an old Civil rights Sit-in. The idea will be the MLM is a legal protest that has a route and is within its right to just sit down along it.

3.Eel starts this out by going to the most likely spot Purists and MLM will meet and just sits down right in the middle. He quickly gets some other mutants to do so as well so he can eventually disappear into the crowd. His goal is to start the human wave of sitting mutants.

4. Intercept will have gotten the medias attention long before this and will direct the vans and cameras to the sitting line.

5. Let things play out. Purists make the first move, giving mutants right to self defense. Media is there so no no one throws the first punch. Haven can't arrest anyone or try our new shady toys and the kids are evacuated.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

what he said

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah plan Ark

No plan survives contact and all that but it's a good plan.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Outrail posted:

Yeah plan Ark

No plan survives contact and all that but it's a good plan.

Pretty much, The main focus is to get the kids out of the line of fire and from there ????.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Plan Ark!

You wrote a very nice plan. I hope everything turns out well, no one gets killed, injured or captured and then we all go for ice cream :v:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Plan Ark

Yeah Ark's plan is peaceful and sensible, just like his plans in most CYOAs
:psyduck:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

Plan Ark

Yeah Ark's plan is peaceful and sensible, just like his plans in most CYOAs
:psyduck:

I'm waiting for the surprise "kill our closest ally" vote :parrot:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

hollylolly posted:

I'm waiting for the surprise "kill our closest ally" vote :parrot:

Yeah, 'surprise'.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Some character assassination going on up in here. I'll have you know I propose perfectly sensible plans some of the time.
<:mad:>

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Arkanomen posted:

Some character assassination going on up in here. I'll have you know I propose perfectly sensible plans some of the time.
<:mad:>

I mean, I'm not denying that - and really, even 'shoot people in the face in case they're a traitor' can be sensible in the right environment - but staging a peaceful sit-in is nearly opposite to your shtick!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Dog Kisser posted:

I mean, I'm not denying that - and really, even 'shoot people in the face in case they're a traitor' can be sensible in the right environment - but staging a peaceful sit-in is nearly opposite to your shtick!

Different games, different agendas. Also you are glazing over the fact that I am using a peaceful sit in with Eel on the front lines as cover to evacuate some kids. The protestors are going to get plastered and when they inevitably give up on Satyagraha and turn to self defense it's going to go bad when Haven steps in to respond to "mutants using disproportionate force".

It's going to be a bloodbath no matter what we do. Mutants with powers va racist humans backed by paramilitary forces. Its a set up and we need to bail. Media presence, peaceful sit ins are all just chaff thrown in the hopes to defuse this situation and I 110% it to backfire nastily, but again the main objective is the safety of those kids. First because they are children and should be safe and two we need to get the "Zombies Mutant Orphanarium" going and if we lose our only supply of orphans that would be bad.

Also i'm playing Zombie, not Ohone. Zombie is cold because she gets hurt when ever she reaches out and that should play into her leadership style. At least, that's how I view and play her. I'm not trying to drive Zombie to become a dark god.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Plan Protest Sit-In is a go, I just need to sit down and write it.

My YA fantasy book is in it's last 11 days of crowdfunding, so my brain is basically fried. :siren: Only 52 orders to go to guarantee publication. I need to unplug for a bit so I stop maniacally F5-ing my email and facebook. First draft is also close to finished.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hollylolly posted:

Plan Protest Sit-In is a go, I just need to sit down and write it.

My YA fantasy book is in it's last 11 days of crowdfunding, so my brain is basically fried. :siren: Only 52 orders to go to guarantee publication. I need to unplug for a bit so I stop maniacally F5-ing my email and facebook. First draft is also close to finished.

I, for one, hope it succeeds so gloriously that you can retire and write updates daily :v:

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Congratulations on the book publishing Holly! :glomp:

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Congrats on the publication!!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Toughy posted:

Congrats on the publication!!

theroachman posted:

Congratulations on the book publishing Holly! :glomp:

:glomp: THANK YOU!! :woop: I'm honestly still in a daze. I didn't think I was going to make it!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: Sit Down and Shut Up :siren:

“What do you want us to do?” Eel asks, and you start talking, instructing him and Intercept simultaneously while you formulate a plan on the fly. Intercept quickly turns back to his computers, using a dozen different twitter accounts to start #HumanToo trending.

“Just walk up to the Purists and start sitting down. We’ll stage it like an old school Civil Rights sit-in. The demonstration has a permit and a route - you’re perfectly within your rights to sit down on it, at least for a few hours.”

”Walk up and sit down?” He sounds a little incredulous, but he’s already moving, and you clarify your meaning.

“Not right up on them, but close. Spread the word about making it a sit-in. Once you get enough people sitting, you should be able to slip away.”

”Yeah, I’ll just stand up and walk away all discrete like,” Eel says sarcastically. He turns to the nearest MLM organizer, and starts explaining ‘his’ plan. ”Hey Beau, we’re going to switch gears, tell me what you think…”

“I’m spreading the word online,” says Intercept. “#HumanToo is trending in this area. I made sure that the media has seen it.”

“Good,” you say, hoping that it will be enough. “Billy, you catch all this?”

”You got it, boss,” came the horned mutant’s slightly raspy voice. ”We’re still getting out of here, though, right?”

“Yes. Just go straight away from the protest.” You frown, looking at the feed from a news helicopter. The march had been going on long enough that it had turned the corner and was beginning to loop back on itself. Billy’s group was actually going to walk toward the Purists if they cut through where they were. “Go the opposite way. I don’t care if it’s further from where anyone is parked, you need to get away from the main body of the demonstration.”

Billy says something affirmative, and you see Eel sitting down a stones throw from the Purists’ counter-protest. “Cops are going to love this,” says Intercept, as others sit as well, signs propped up in their laps or against their backs. You can see the Purists screaming through Eel’s buttoncam.

The sit-in is working - mutants and sympathizers are sitting down in a wave, starting from the front toward the back. The twitter campaign is helping as people turn to their phones for explanation as to what they’re seeing on television. The newscasters sound baffled, and then amazed.

The Sentinel stops rolling up the street.

You let yourself smile.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Oh no, something terrible is going to happen.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: Spectrum :siren:

Barbara “Spectrum” Nolan ran a hand through her hair, and sat down in the middle of the road. She wasn’t sitting next to Eel, but she was close enough that she could see his bald head up where the Purists were standing. Some of the Southwestern Baptist ‘church’ members were getting closer to the line of sitters. The more the mutants sat and said nothing, the angrier the Purists were getting.

I’m glad I’m not up there, she thought, and felt guilty. She was all about activism and investigating, and boots on the ground, but direct confrontation like what the Purists were pushing for was too much. The march was buzzing as people talked amongst themselves as they sat down on the hot asphalt, many people sitting on their cardboard signs for a modicum of comfort. Various call-and-repeat protest chants were erupting from the huge crowd, but they were all starting to sit.

This wasn’t what she’d been expecting, and the change of plans made Spectrum a little nervous. Still, it seemed to be going ok.

Louder yelling snapped her attention back to where Eel was, and she focused just in time to see a water bottle fly from behind the Purists into the MLM protestors. It smacked Eel in the head, and she half-stands, but stops and waits for instructions.

:siren: YOU

You can see the group of teens/Billy/Antonio/Marcelo are finally off of the main protest route, but things are getting heated up at the front lines. Eel is hit with a half full plastic water bottle, and the mutants sitting next to him are yelling back at the Purists.

Squib is talking to the people sitting around him in the middle of the demonstration, and you recognize one of them. Scratch, from the Barrio Boneyard. “Intercept, is the Boneyard in the protest?”

A ten second pause, and then he nods. “Yeah, they’re scattered throughout.”

“Any near Eel?”

”What should we do?” asks Spectrum. Eel is rubbing his head and looking around, keeping the mutants near him relatively calm. You glance at the screen where the Sentinel is idling, along with its four handlers.

What do you tell your people?
A.
Keep the peace, no matter what.
B. Retaliate!
C. Defend yourselves and others if it gets rougher, but for now stand sit your ground.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A Sorry Eel. Don't give anyone a way to spin this into mutant aggressiveness.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
A

Until or unless they start killing mutants indiscriminately, we sit down.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Tell Eel stand up slowly, then take a sip of that water and thank the purists for thinking of their fellow humans on this hot day.

Send a medical volunteer in to extract Eel under cover of having his head looked at while the regular police get a strangely digital sounding voice order through their radios to block the purists .

I think that covers objective two of getting eel out and three by stopping a violent confrontation.

Next up is dealing with that sentinel and the purists. I have an idea, but it's not exactly a good-guy move.

Intercept can hack the sentinel, it will just take a long time and use a lot of resources iirc. What we could do is hack the sentinel and then program it to attack pure humans. Crazy robot attacks the normals and then suddenly a brave group of mutants not only took action to defeat the evil robot, but did so to save the humans that hate them so.

It would be nice if the mutants wore some distinctive uniforms and swooped in on a fancy experimental jet, but you can only do so much

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: This is a not-CYOA related note:

Today was the end of my crowdfunding attempt for my YA fantasy novel. I am very pleased to say that I was able to get the 250+ preorders needed to squeeze into Inkshares' light publishing imprint. Fae Child is now listed as "In Production" on the site, and you can still preorder it if you want to. :toot: Inkshares has a backlog of almost 30 books to get through due to small company growing pains, so it will be some time before it's actually published. Plus I have to, like, write it and stuff.

SO! This means my current update schedule for Mutants: Uprising is likely to remain the same as it has been for the last six months - sporadic. ;) Fae Child needs to be finished! I am over 2/3rds done writing it, but there's still a ways to go. And it's the last bits, which are of course the most important (after the beginning, and the middle). When my first draft is complete I will need a couple impartial but fair Alpha readers, so if you're interested in [constructively] tearing into a first draft please PM me. I'd mainly be looking for feedback on obvious plot holes, inconsistencies, that sort of thing.

And all this means turning Mutants into a book could actually happen, because nothing sells a book like already having one published. I just have to decide whether I'm going to keep it in 2nd person or not (and how to keep Marvel from suing me). ;) I do want to thank you all for sticking with me on this CYOA which is a lot of fun for me to write, and I hope it is fun to read. I will be continuing to update this CYOA!

Thank you! You may now continue voting. ;)

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Congratulations! :slick:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:toot: congratulations, you're now a published author! :toot:

Also, Plan Ark sounds great. With you using Tyrese Gibson for Eel's mugshot, I'm imagining Roman from Fast & Furious, all gigantic smiles and sarcastic tone.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

“Keep the peace, no matter what,” you say. “Make sure the Bones hear it too, Squib. Spectrum, get up there at the front and pull Eel out, pretend you’re a medic.”

You get a round of affirmations through the comms, but you can’t sit back and relax yet. Spectrum’s camera moves as she starts in toward Eel, who says wryly, “Thanks for the water,” to the Purists. He stops short of actually drinking anything from the half-full bottle that hit his head, which is probably a good thing because who knows what’s actually in it.

The Purists step back a little, or at least, they stop advancing, and seem to be satisfied by standing and shouting anti-mutant slurs at the sitting people. In the rear of the march people are just beginning to sit down - the wide helicopter shot you can see on one of the newscasts is pretty impressive. You can see a reporter and his cameraman near the front line, giving a live report. The hashtag #HumanToo is on the screen while he’s talking, and you grin at Intercept. “Great work.”

:siren: Antonio :siren:

Herding a bunch of kids away from the march was easier than he’d thought it was going to be, even if Susie was skeeving the heck out of him. Billy was bringing up the rear, looking fierce under his horns and shaggy hair, but when Susie plucked at Antonio’s sleeve and stopped walking the Brotherhood mutant passed them, giving ‘Tonio a nod.

“What is it now?” he asked her, half afraid to hear the answer.

“You have to go back.” Susie took his hand and held it between them, gently prying open his fingers and revealing the steel washer he was holding. She tapped it. “You’re there.”

“No, I’m here…” Antonio said exasperatedly, catching his brother’s eye as the group paused to wait for them. “Go ahead, I’ll catch up!” he called, and Marcelo nodded, leading the kids away.

“Come,” she said, pulling on his arm, back the way they’d come. “Hurry.”

“Oh man, I’m going to regret this, aren’t I,” he said, letting her drag him down the street.

:siren: The Aesir :siren:

Heimdall: It didn’t happen? How…?

Odin: A delay, nothing more. The Master’s servant will come, as promised.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Virginia Hayes

“What’s going on?” Officer Hamilton turned to Agent Hayes of Haven Corp, and indicated the Sentinel. “Why’d we stop rolling?” His partner, Officer Smith, gave the big machine an impressive amount of side-eye, and returned to visually scanning their surroundings.

“March stopped,” she said. “We’re holding here to make sure no one sneaks back, tries to start anything at the park.”

“That’s the info we’re getting as well,” said Smith, still looking around.

Virginia and her new partner, Agent Jones, looked at each other, the latter rolling his eyes when the LAPD guys weren’t looking. She hid a smile, and then her earpiece barked instructions. ”Weather mutant spotted in the Purists’ ranks. The one from Sacramento. We're moving units in but it's going to be a few minutes.”

“Oh poo poo,” said Jones, and the two police officers looked at him with concern. “Look, Hayes,” he pointed up. Clouds were starting to rotate in the sky, just enough that the movement was discernible. Even as Virginia followed his hand with her eyes the rotation quickened.

“gently caress,” she said, grabbing her sidearm out and checking the tranq rounds.

“It’s too far,” Jones warned, “You won’t get there in time.”

“It’s not too far,” she said, and teleported to the Other Place, leaving behind a puff of sulfurous smoke, her partner, and two very confused LAPD officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

“I’m picking up some chatter,” says Intercept. “Haven just lit up channel six, talking to the LAPD. Weather mutant with the Purists?”

“It’s those loving Nordicks,” you say, trying to lean forward without getting too far into Intercept’s personal space. “Thor, I think?”

“I don’t have a clear picture of him to go off of but… there? A couple rows back and to Eel and Spectrum’s right.” Intercept pointed at another screen almost immediately. “Clouds are spinning up.”

“Eel!” you bark into the comms -

A. “Thor is in with the Purists, I need you to take him out!”
B. “Distract -!

“poo poo,” says Intercept.

Vigilante teleports into the picture, nearly on top of the guy you’ve tentatively identified as Thor, but the space she jumps out of doesn’t close behind her. A squirming mass of tentacles erupts out of thin air, one is wrapped around Vigilante’s waist as she falls awkwardly to the ground, and Something pulls itself from There to Here, its big, heavy, grey, slimy body crushing several Purists as it emerges.

Your mind, understandably, momentarily goes blank as you can’t process what you’re seeing. Intercept is quicker to recover, but he’s looking at you for instructions. Your mouth is open, but nothing is coming out.

but with bigger/more tentacles, underdeveloped limbs. It is almost as big as a city bus.

HOLY poo poo WHAT DO YOU DO :supaburn:

• Locked thread