Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Boy howdy that sure is someone else's problem.....

serious post,

"Eel, get the mutants to loving bail away from that thing. Intercept spread images of that thing all over the net and paint it up as a Haven spawned monstrosity."

We call Jake and tell him that "It's Here." And that it's time to face his fears. Then we gear up to gently caress up a Star Spawn.

:cthulhu: IA IA! I told you man, I told you about the things that crawl between the walls of existence. I warned you bro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Woah, I think i haven't checked this thread on 2017, seems the eldritch horrors managed to sneak in. Time to catch up.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Mr. Nemo posted:

Woah, I think i haven't checked this thread on 2017, seems the eldritch horrors managed to sneak in. Time to catch up.

Read the update where we dragged a psychic through the veil and faced an eldritch being directly on our way through.

Someone who won't be named teleported way too far and got caught.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

By the way I've been watching the FX mutants show "Legion" and it's quite good.

Also if you've been putting off going to see Wolverine's last movie "Logan" please stop and go see it immediately. If you have seen it don't spoil anything but isn't it just amazing?!?

Okay, back to the business of freaking the gently caress out! :supaburn: Updates are on the bottom of the previous page. Starting here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3738085&perpage=40&pagenumber=69#post470095815

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
How hard do you have to critfail your teleport that you drag a bus sized star-spawn to a peaceful sit-in protest?

It's freaky, but it's not Intercept's month old trash freaky. Hopefully it can't exist in our dimension or being on our plane makes it corporeal.

Either way, it's not our problem right now, it's haven's and storm mutant's.

" Also joking cut the tension by telling Eel "See, I told you I would get out from the front of the protest line?"

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Oh I totally forgot that Cthulhus lurking just under the surface in this game lol

Bail, have Intercept start writing a news story about Havens anti-mutant bio weapon (that got outta control)

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 8, 2017

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
"Intercept, spread pictures of that thing on all military and law enforcement channels you can muster. Monitor the situation. If you deem it necessary, hack the Haven bot and use the headlight on Thor and Vigilante. If you find any other mutants hiding among the Purists, hit them too. I'm going to get Jake."

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ia! Ia!

I'm loving the "make this out to be a Haven bioweapon" angle, we can paint them as Umbrella

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Incidentally, there is currently a live helicopter newsfeed (or two) streaming online, not to mention the reporter right by the front line. Well, if he didn't just get squished during his live report, anyway. I don't think you have to worry about this not going immediately viral?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Something went wrong and it wasn't Jane's fault! :toot:

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Social media and news is cool and all, but we need tanks and jet fighters.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Skellybones posted:

Something went wrong and it wasn't Jane's fault! :toot:

This is the real achievement here.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I was trying to copy/paste the latest bit of this from Google Drive to a document on my computer and got this (pages of it):

:tinfoil: :cthulhu:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

hollylolly posted:

I was trying to copy/paste the latest bit of this from Google Drive to a document on my computer and got this (pages of it):

:tinfoil: :cthulhu:

MUTANTS ARE CHILDREN OF THE BEYONDER
HE CALLS TO HIS OFFSPRING TO RISE
BREAK THE WALLS
YOG-SOTHOTH THE GATE AND THE KEY!!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

First mention of Squids From Beyond

Second Incident

Third Incident

Fourth Incident

I think those are all the mentions, until this point.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
So basically we need to find Jake and then ask him about it again... in private... over drinks and calamari.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Actually nothing like what is going on in this post

“Get out of there!” you yell into the comms, quite unnecessarily. Intercept’s screens all log into various military and police sites at once, leaving just one with a visual feed for a few moments - one of the news helicopters circling overhead.

The giant creature has squashed quite a few people, Purists and mutants alike, and you have no idea if Eel and Spectrum are okay. They were awfully close, and their button cams are dark.. Vigilante is probably dead? Tentacles as thick as tree trunks are lashing out as the crowd screams and scatters. They aren’t fast enough, not all of them.

From Squib’s cam you can see the grey mound in the distance, he seems to be jumping up and down to get a better look as people panic around him. ”Is that a whale? A squid? What -?!” Fade, one of the Barrio Boneyard’s mutants, the one who can phase between dimensions, appears in the feed, grabbing Squib by the shoulders. ”We gotta go, man!” His eyes are wide, but he seems determined as he looked back over his shoulder at the monstrosity.

Spectrum’s camera feed is suddenly filled with light, and you hold your breath, waiting to see what will be revealed. Eel’s face looms as his hands reach for her shirt. He’s… pulling her to her feet. ”We gotta go!” You get a breathtaking look at a tentacle as it sweeps over their heads, then the video is mostly of their feet as he gets them moving, Spectrum slumped forward.

Your heart is thumping hard, and you clench your fists on the arms of the office chair, accidentally breaking one of them off. You barely notice. The helicopter dips through a dark cloud, and then veers out of it, a violent storm brewing. Lightning begins to strike, not just at the creature but indiscriminately throughout the crowd.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren:ANTONIO:siren:

“Uh, why is everyone running?” he asked, still being towed along by Susie. “And what is that?” Antonio planted his feet and forced her to stop as he caught sight of something weird ahead of them. “Oh hell no,” he said, looking at the waving tentacles a few blocks away. “Hell to the no.

Susie grimaced at him and pulled harder. “You’re there, you’re there…” She was crying suddenly, and then the Anime Tentacle Monster screeched. It reverberated through his body painfully, and Susie’s eyes rolled up in her head and she fell bonelessly into his arms.

“Oh poo poo, poo poo, poo poo, poo poo.” Antonio dragged her into the doorway of what turned out to be a laundromat. He looked up, and down the street. “Stay with her,” he ordered a matronly looking woman, as his body transformed into steel. She gaped at him and nodded, and then he ran down the street, hoping desperately that Susie hadn’t been leading him to his death.

:siren:YOU:siren:

Your phone is ringing, and as Intercept clears his screens to make room for more videos at the scene you notice people throughout the crowd just falling over, with no discernable cause. “The city is scrambling more police,” Intercept says. You can see the LAPD who were there for march crowd control are helping people flee the area and keeping others from coming in, while some advance bravely on the whale-sized squid horror.

It gets its underdeveloped legs underneath it, and begins to circle around. You manage to look at your phone without crushing it. It’s Jake.

Squib yells “Antonio!” and you see Anna’s brother in his livestream, skin gleaming silver. The lightning has stopped, but the dark clouds remain, and ‘Tonio starts to push past Squib and Fade, fighting his way upstream.

A. Answer the drat phone!
B. Tell Squib to grab Fade and follow Antonio!
C. Pass out!
D. Punch a screen!
E. All of the above!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
A "Hello, Shits-gone-Squidways Ops center, this is Zombie speaking. How can we make your day an even brighter hellhole?

Hell no, to the no, no, yeah.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A This is greatly awesome.

I love it when several competing plans all come undo with horrible horror.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Arkanomen posted:

A "Hello, Shits-gone-Squidways Ops center, this is Zombie speaking. How can we make your day an even brighter hellhole?

Hell no, to the no, no, yeah.

hahaha, definitely this. Also I dub the beast Tentacle-kun

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You can't tear your eyes away from the screens as the police open fire on the tentacled hellbeast, but you answer your phone. Pressing it to your ear you say, distractedly, "Hello, Shits-gone-Squidways Ops center, this is Zombie speaking. ...How can we make your day an even brighter hellhole?"

"Where are you? Are you there?!" Jake sounds shook.

You raise an eyebrow as the creature recoils from the bullets on the TV. "I'm here. I mean, I'm not there. But Eel..."

"Christ, it's all over the television. It's on every channel!" You can picture him ruffling a hand through his just-a-bit-too-long hair, maybe pacing a bit as he's talking. "What ...where did it come from?"

"Looks like Vigilante got snagged while she was long distance teleporting," you say woodenly, as the tentacled squid monster whale thing lashes out and sends the line of LAPD officers almost literally flying. "Can you get over here, to the mansion? We need to talk."

"I'm already on my way," he says, and you hear a car horn honk through the phone. Jake hangs up, or maybe you hung up, but either way the phone call is over.

"Sentinel is speeding up," says Intercept, pointing at another screen. Eel and Spectrum are still stumbling away, their comms are down, but her camera is still transmitting. Squib and Fade seem to be running toward the backside of the beast, but his feed is too jumbled up to really tell what's going on. Hot Sauce seemed to be clear, but his position is much closer to where the Sentinel tank/robot/mechsuit?? is hurtling up the street.

Wildfire bangs the door open and makes both you and Intercept jump. She barges over to the screens, unapologetically sticking her face in between you and Intercept. "What the gently caress is happening?" she asks.

It's a question you wish you knew the answer to.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

"If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the stars were right again" :v:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
" My boyfriend is coming over for a Calamari dinner. Hi, how are you? Are you gonna go all Manchurian Candidate again on us again?"

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Arkanomen posted:

" My boyfriend is coming over for a Calamari dinner. Hi, how are you? Are you gonna go all Manchurian Candidate again on us again?"

This is wildfire not vigilante, wildfire is the fire starter with a short fuse

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
All of a sudden Wildfire becomes a candidate for 'most valuable team player'.

How hot can you burn poo poo?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Hexenritter posted:

"If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the stars were right again" :v:

"Just a regular Saturday..." ;) <--- this is not a canon reply :lol:

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 11, 2017

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Toughy posted:

This is wildfire not vigilante, wildfire is the fire starter with a short fuse

Oh, hmm. I thought wildfire had a Headlight drug problem as well.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Oh, hmm. I thought wildfire had a Headlight drug problem as well.

Wildfire has an attitude problem.

Vigilante has a "Haven has mindfucked her?maybe?" problem.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

“It’s some sort of monster from another dimension,” you say, but your tone leaves a question mark at the end of your statement. “Or maybe it’s just our luck - stars were aligned, maybe.”

The creature is screeching, and more people are stumbling, falling down as they try to get clear of the area. Some aren’t getting up again.

”We have a terrible idea!” yells Squib into the comm, but his audio is filled with static. Intercept shakes his head when you look at him, frowning. The live feed from Squib’s button cam fritzes out and then returns. Fade and Antonio (still steeled up) are standing in front of him. ”We’re going to -” and the squid monster shrieks again, and the video lurches, showing the shocked faces of his companions, then the sky. Antonio leans into the video, shaking it, then the sky moves. They seem to be dragging Squib out of the road. The bulk of the inter-dimensional creature looms behind them.

“Ffffffuuuuuck!” you say, itching to be there, to be helping. A small part of you is glad you’re not. You get out of your seat and start pacing.

“It’s loving moving,” says Wildfire, and it is - moving off to one side off the road and toward the buildings. The newscasters on the TV were staying remarkably calm, assuming that this is some sort of mutant, or mutant by product. The fact that bullets haven’t seemed to hurt it is beginning to crack the facade, and strain is beginning to sound in their voices. The reporter on the ground nearby has stopped transmitting and they don’t know if he’s alive or dead.

Billy’s camera feed shows the group still moving - Marcelo has taken one kid and run them to the van and just came back for another. Scott collapsed at the last screech from the Creature.

Intercept is monitoring all the radio chatter in the area. “Haven is moving in more of their troops to help the LAPD. They don’t know what this is either. Governor is considering the National Guard. LAPD reports bullets not having any affect - the skin is too tough, maybe?”

Digger pokes his head in the door. “Something happening?” Wildfire snorts.

“Start the rumor that this is a Haven bioweapon to use against mutants,” you say, grasping for anything you can do to spin this in a positive way (for your agenda). Intercept nods, a faint smile under his beard. You peer at one of the screens. Is that Vigilante, hopping in and out of the feed? Someone is blinking in and out of the area right next to the creature, and as you stare it seems that she (or another teleporter? Unlikely, but possible) is picking up injured people and moving them a little further away.

You have a small opportunity to make some moves: These are not mutually exclusive, you can pick more than one.
A.
Tell Hot Sauce (last team member with a functioning comm besides Billy) to stop the Sentinel. Recruit nearby mutants to stop it, whatever, stand in front of it, I don’t care, just slag that thing. (Ok maybe don’t stand in front of it. Unless he wants to.)
B. Get in a car and drive to the area ASAP with Wildfire. Tell Jake to meet you there.
C. Call Anna, make sure she’s okay. Tell her the kids are okay for now…?
D. Punch the wall.
E. Use the time from now until Jake gets here to process all the clues you have and come up with the possible explanation for the creature and the ‘other dimension’ that no Reader has come up with yet which still surprises me.

:siren: The Creature reaches the nearest building, and its tentacles whip into the brickwork. It might be trying to destroy it, or perhaps it is digging in...

ADDITIONAL READER'S CHOICE: Antonio
Are you:
Feeling brave? (acting in spite of fear)
2. Feeling sick? (time to throw up)
3. Terrified? (time to run away)
4. Angry? (acting blindly)
5. Something else?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
E + order full retreat
This one is too much for us. Get our agents back and safe. We aren't the Xtraordinary Men yet. Haven is going full mobilization.

Might be a good time to hit their base?

I can't think of the reason for Squidspace other than it's somehow a product of Jake's Mind or it's the collective unconsciousness of humanity. Maybe it's just Demios' power or the maybe the future of Earth? I got nothing.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

E + order full retreat
This one is too much for us. Get our agents back and safe. We aren't the Xtraordinary Men yet. Haven is going full mobilization.

Might be a good time to hit their base?

I can't think of the reason for Squidspace other than it's somehow a product of Jake's Mind or it's the collective unconsciousness of humanity. Maybe it's just Demios' power or the maybe the future of Earth? I got nothing.

It's based on a well known place in the X-Men comics.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I don't read the comics so I'm going to presume it's where the Japanese anime/hentai poo poo comes from.

Fill retreat unless someone's abilities can help such as Intercept.

Bullets can't hurt it, so aside from squib I don't think anyone else's powers a few going to help.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

E+full retreat

I must shamefully admit to never having read the comics so my knowledge comes from the x-men cartoon, several games and the movies basically.

I concur that this must be where the Japanese got their tentacle fetish from :v:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hollylolly posted:

It's based on a well known place in the X-Men comics.

Limbo?

I do not think most of us are x-men uberfans.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Well, I've taken several liberties with it, so it's not like a place/plane of existence that's known for having tentacle monsters in it. :lol: But you've heard of the Astral Plane, right?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hollylolly posted:

Well, I've taken several liberties with it, so it's not like a place/plane of existence that's known for having tentacle monsters in it. :lol: But you've heard of the Astral Plane, right?

The occultist in me says "obviously", the goon in me says "thats where tentacle rape monsters come from" :D

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B C D and get Haven on the line because poo poo has gone sidewides and we need to take the space monster out before more people get hurt.

"Intercept, get me the highest ranking official that you can tap in this Haven operation and get me on the line. If they quibble let them know we have info on their enemy and the psychic mutant they use"

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Grognan posted:

B C D and get Haven on the line because poo poo has gone sidewides and we need to take the space monster out before more people get hurt.

"Intercept, get me the highest ranking official that you can tap in this Haven operation and get me on the line. If they quibble let them know we have info on their enemy and the psychic mutant they use"

He said in the update:

quote:

Intercept is monitoring all the radio chatter in the area. “Haven is moving in more of their troops to help the LAPD. They don’t know what this is either. Governor is considering the National Guard. LAPD reports bullets not having any affect - the skin is too tough, maybe?”

But feel free to call up Haven if you want, it's certainly a viable option. :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Obviously we need to shoot it from the inside out.

Stuff a cow with explosives.

I just watched Tremors and as far as I'm concerned this thing looks like a giant graboid if you're wondering.

• Locked thread