Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Outrail posted:

She just crept into a house full of children holding a syringe of god knows what, she'll probably be back and better prepared. That's a good reason to kill.

Can Anna freeze her wings? If so do it while we run downstairs and shock the poo poo out of her.

By the time you move out of the window and try to tell Anna to freeze her, this devil will be gone. She is preparing to take off right now.

reignonyourparade posted:

gently caress it, jump out the window at her.

This is Eel we're talking about - he does not have any self healing powers and isn't likely to fare well if he launches himself out of a second floor window at a moving target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm not sure Eel hosed up. The needle scraped, but didn't fully penetrate, correct?

Plus, it's only a 2 story house, do some tuck/roll poo poo, he's in reasonably good health, right?

Also, if we want to be all "non-lethal", grab the escape ladder and throw it at batgirl, hoping it makes contact, then send a large shock down the metal (I'm assuming it's a chain ladder...).

The fire escape ladders are like this one - nylon with steel rungs, and they are only as long as they need to be to touch the ground. Eel might be able to throw it on top of her and tangle her up?

edit: And the needle raked across his skin, it was not stuck into his arm. He's got a pretty good scratch.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 28, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

gently caress it, throw it out the window so it unravels on the way down, then try to climb out and drop down. We're not catching batgirl if she's already recovered from the shock anyway. Did she drop the needle?

She may have dropped the needle. Eel will definitely be looking for it!

Two votes for climbing/jumping out the window after her (basically giving chase but she's probably still getting away) and three for letting her go. Ralith gets a gold star for actually using a letter to vote with. ;)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Eel grabbed the fire escape ladder (it had been pulled out storage before sunset) and flung it out of the window, hooking it against the windowsill. Behind him the bedroom door crashed open, and he could hear Antonio shouting Anna’s name as he scrambled down the ladder as fast as he could.

Bat Girl turned her head to look at him, her features partially obscured by her hooded shirt, and threw something at him. Eel was about halfway down the wobbly ladder, and he awkwardly jumped the rest of the way as there was a metallic clang. He threw himself forward at her, trying to touch her and zap her into submission and wishing he had a baton or a rod or something to extend his reach as she spread her leathery wings and buffeted him back with air as she took off into the sky.

“gently caress!” Eel yelled.

”Tracking her,” Intercept said, and Eel could just make out the drone zipping overhead in pursuit of the intruder. She was fast, and already out of sight, so he turned his attention to the ground.

Antonio was hanging out of the window. “Is it gone?”

“Yeah, I think so,” Eel replied, walking slowly back toward the house as he scanned the area for… clues, or something. He saw something metallic about halfway up the outer wall beside the ladder, and he climbed up a bit and hesitated, wrapping his shirt around his hand before pulling it out of the wall.

He called Billy, who was waiting for an update. After filling him in on what had happened, they agreed that calling the cops wasn’t an option, since they didn’t know if the woman was from Haven or not. Billy would arrive soon with Wildfire to keep an eye on the house for the rest of the night from a discrete position.

Susie opened the front door and let him back inside, and Eel opened his mouth to say thank you.

“I know,” she said. “I don’t always… but…” and she wandered off toward the kitchen.

“Thanks,” he said lamely, and then he ran upstairs to check on Anna, stopping to grab a clean dishcloth out of the hall closet. He put the throwing star in it, and then walked into the master bedroom. The teens were all hanging out of their doorways down the hall, and Antonio pushed past Eel back out into the hall. “I’ll take care of them,” he muttered, “See if you can talk some sense into her.”

Eel blinked, and saw Anna straightening up her room, pulling the curtains off from where they’d fallen onto her bed. “Hey, be careful,” he said. “There could be -” and she held up a syringe.

“I found it,” she said briskly. “It’s empty.”

He looked at his arm immediately. The scratch from the needle hurt, but it was mostly an angry red mark, with just a little bit of blood. “Fuuuuck,” he said. “Empty?”

“I think it was always empty,” she said, handing it over to him with no protest. “No hay líquido ...there’s nothing… no mess.”

“That you found so far,” Eel pointed out, handling the syringe gingerly. The plunger was all the way down...was that his skin on the tip of the needle? “We’ll have this tested to be sure.” Somehow.

“She won’t be back tonight,” Anna said. “I don’t think I can sleep a -” she drew in a breath, and put her hand on her belly. “The baby is moving,” she said after a moment. “We’re both awake. I might as well put my room in order.”

“At least let me help,” he said, pulling the ladder back up into the room, closing the window and locking it. They worked together in silence for a while, rehanging the curtains and then she went to check on the kids, and get them settled back down.

”She’s going north,” said Intercept. He yawned audibly in Eel’s ear. ”But she could be anywhere. I lost her when she took out the drone over Pasadena. I think… with the wings it make sense… echolocation helped her ‘see’ it.”

“Fine, thanks Intercept,” Eel said. “Get some sleep?”

”Tell that to Jane,” Intercept said. ”I’ll let you know if anything else pops up but I think she’s gone for now.”

Antonio poked his head into the room, inviting Eel downstairs. Apparently no one wanted to try going back to sleep, so they were going to watch a movie in the living room. As good an idea as any - a second attack would be unlikely and if everyone was awake for it, all the better.

I will switch back to Jane (just after dark) at this point, unless you want Eel to do something else right now.

Edit: clarified something about the syringe - it isn't full of air, the plunger is depressed all the way down.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 28, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Tran posted:

Freak out a little, then pull Antonio aside and tell him we might've been injected with the stuff that made people and their powers go crazy in the park. Ask him to make sure we don't hurt anyone if we lose it.

Antonio looked at Eel and frowned. "I thought it was just a scratch. Here, let me look." Eel held his arm out and 'Tonio squinted at it. "Wouldn't you have, I dunno, gone off already?"

He touched Eel's skin a couple times. "Feels normal. Remember, Rebecca -" he looked into the other room where people were gathering with blankets and pillows, and lowered his voice. "She overloaded right away. I think you're ok."

"I dunno," Eel said doubtfully. Was it getting hotter in here? He took a breath and let it out slowly. "I think I'm just letting my imagination run away with me."

"Yeah, well, there's all sorts of other things that could have been on that needle," Antonio said, helpfully. "I think we should call the police. Report a break in."

Eel nodded, slowly. "Yeah...I'm beginning to agree."

A. Call 911
B. Call the non emergency number
C. NO COPS!!!

1. Report a break in with an attack with a needle, get Eel to a hospital
2. Report a break in by a bat-winged mutant woman aimed at Anna, Eel gets medical attention in the morning.
3. Some other combination of things, write in

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Wipe the prints because Eel had his grubby mitts on them then have Antonio handle it. If Eel isn't on record yet he will be at some point so the less he shows up the better.

The syringe is better because Eel hasn't handled it yet.

The first question the cops will ask is why he was sleeping over in a house with a pregnant lady and a bunch of kids. Unless Antonio wants to be his gay lover it's best if he wasn't there.

If he was there then the cops will say well duh he's a gang member it's gang warfare you stupid mutants don't hang out with gang members.

Eel was actually careful not to put his prints onto the evidence, and he doesn't have a record...yet.

quote:

He saw something metallic about halfway up the outer wall beside the ladder, and he climbed up a bit and hesitated, wrapping his shirt around his hand before pulling it out of the wall.

quote:

then he ran upstairs to check on Anna, stopping to grab a clean dishcloth out of the hall closet. He put the throwing star in it, and then walked into the master bedroom....she held up a syringe....handing it over to him with no protest.

Anna probably got prints onto the syringe.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Should be able to see some liquid in the syringe even if it was pumped down.

Unless, she wasn't there to deposit anything with the syringe, she was as there to take blood.

Who's bedroom did she sneak into? Suzie or Anna's blood could be hella valuable.

Check the syringe and see if there's anything left in it.

Guys you pull the plunger back up and it sucks whatever was left in the needle into the clear plastic reservoir where you see if there's anything left.
I missed your edit. It was Anna's room the woman was breaking into.

When the plunger is pulled back up (carefully to avoid adding or messing up fingerprints) it is....

...still empty. There is no residue.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Either they wanted Anna's cyroblood or she's carrying the muti-christ.

Have we asked who the father is? Is the syringe a normal one?

You have not asked who the father is. Presumably it seemed improper to ask such a personal question. You do know that Anna is Catholic, and single.

The syringe's needle is longer than seems normal, to Eel. He is not an expert in needles, but it's about three inches long.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Toughy posted:

Send a pic to base have a quick image search see if it's a syringe for a specific purpose.
Maybe Anna's immaculate conception is all invasive science experiments

Eel takes a closer look:

mutant power of putting watermarks on everything?just kidding

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Eel will get Anna to call the police. He will leave the house, not wanting his presence to cast suspicion on her, and watch from outside with Wildfire and Billy. Actually, he’s probably going to sleep in his car while they watch, and in the morning he’ll go to urgent care to get some blood work done.

But in the meantime, let’s journey back in time a few hours. The sun is setting over the joshua trees, and you have made a wide circle around the entire compound. Squib has eaten all of the granola bars, and Spectrum has helped you doodle a bit of a map for the base. The runway is empty, but there are two sets of two guards patrolling the perimeter. They’ve switched out once since you’ve been watching, going in and out of what you’re calling Building 2. Building 3 is where the black woman went, and where Spectrum claims the most people are.

It’s weird, knowing you’ve seen a person before but not really remembering it. Just the picture you took in the parking lot. You will have to tread very carefully if she has the power to wipe memories from a distance! Or...whatever it is she can do.

There is a covered truck approaching the front gate, a match to three others that are parked on the base.

A. Use the truck approach as a distraction, breach the fence and infiltrate the base (say where you want to go through)
B. Keep watching for a little while, see where the truck goes and who’s in it.
C. Something else. Write in.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

B. Anything unusual about the truck Spectrum?

She doesn't take the binoculars from her eyes as she answers your question. "Looks... truck-like. Engine's a heat source, driver and passenger. I think the back might be empty? Maybe they're here to pick something up."

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

“We’ll wait a little longer,” you decide, and the other two nod. The truck makes it to the gate, where it’s stopped and one of the guards stationed there walks over to the driver’s side door. According to Spectrum the driver hands over a phone, which the guard puts into a metal box before waving them through. The gate opens, and closes behind the truck as it drives further up the road into the compound.

It turns right and stops in front of Building 1. The passenger hops down. There are lights on the base, so even from where you are you can see the flash of red hair, and you have a sinking suspicion you know who it is.

“Vigilante,” says Spectrum. Your former teammate doesn’t seem to be wearing a Haven uniform, but she walks into Building 1 and comes out shortly with a folder. She nods to the driver, who moves the truck into a parking spot, and then walks between the buildings toward the second set, either 3 or 4. She hasn’t come back into sight from between Buildings 1 and 2 yet.

A. Make a break for it - go back to the car. You’ve seen enough.
B. Go for the fence (specify where) and break into the base. You still want a closer look at whatever the thing is in the hangar.
C. Keep watching (you can move to a new vantage point if you like)
D. Something else. Write in.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Vigilante does not know where your base is.

Edit: as far as you know! :tinfoil:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I'll give it a little longer, but if I don't get any more votes today I'll just go with Outrail's. :)

edit: I didn't really describe the buildings. 1, 2, and 3 are sort of rectangular one story buildings, 4 looks more like this:

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 2, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

How fast can digger dig?

He can dig relatively fast. About... twice as fast as a man with a shovel, if I had to put a speed on it. He is not inexhaustible, but he has a lot of upper body strength and could probably dig at full speed for an hour or two without complaining. Digger enjoys digging.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Man that's a lame superpower :P
I'm trying to calculate the consequences /logistics if just burrowing in under the compound and busting in through a basement wall. We all die horribly but it's something to consider.

It is kind of a lame power. He's got big hands and extra tough fingernails... I'm imagining him digging and it's probably faster than 2x a shovel. I'm going to put it officially at pretty fast but not super fast.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Digger also likes marrying up in the world to rich old ladies, hoping for their estate.

Ever wonder where we get our bankroll? I mean, seriously.

:cheeky:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: UPDATE

“I’ve seen enough,” you say quietly. Seeing Vigilante hasn’t made you nervous, but certainly more cautious. If you creep closer you could be seen, and if you’re seen you don’t like your odds against a teleporting mutant and one that can erase memories. Plus whoever else they may have hiding inside the base. “Let’s go.”

The next morning you get the full report from Eel and Intercept (via encrypted Skype). You have pictures of the syringe and the shuriken, but the real ones had been turned over to the police by Anna. Intercept is pretty confident at his ability to hack into the Los Santos Police database to get the results of any fingerprints they are able to get off of them.

You’re trying to decide if it was blood the mutant was after, or something else, when Wildfire walks by the table, holding a donut. “Looks like an amnio needle,” she says, powdered sugar on her lips as she takes a big bite of her breakfast.

“A what?”

Wildfire swallows, and wipes her mouth with the back of her hand before pointing at the picture of the empty syringe with her donut. A few crumbs fall onto the photo. “Amniocentesis,” she says. “You know, when they take some of the amniotic fluid to test it for ...genetic abnormalities and stuff.”

So, what’s next?
A. Take Anna and the kids to Disneyland with some of the money you got from the Locos. They could use a break and some fun that they couldn’t afford on their own, and you can talk to Anna one on one and maybe get some information on her pregnancy.
B. Track down Vigilante and find out from her what Haven is up to.
C. Concentrate your efforts on fighting the GDPA by organizing another pro-mutant rally with the MLM (or finding out where their next one will be). You are pretty sure that Haven will be watching, and want to somehow catch them in the act if they try something like they did last time.
D. Return to Joshua Tree and attack Haven’s base with your full force.
E. Make an effort to get more mutants to join your cause - recruit Brotherhood members in other cells to join you. California’s GDPA and its mutant registry are going to be ground zero for a possible federal law if it is successful. We have to stop it.
F. Visit some state congressmen at their homes to ‘convince’ them to stop backing the GDPA.
G. Something else! Write in.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

MEANWHILE
(Virginia's visit to Haven's desert base - we left shortly after she arrived. What was she doing there? A SNEAK PEEK FOR YOUUUU

Hlinka, Ales
CA-052
Rating: 2

Virginia let her fingers trail across the placard as she followed along behind Major Silvestri. The cell was well lit, had a half wall for privacy around the commode, and a single bed. An unassuming man sat on the mattress, filling out a crossword puzzle. The window was a two way mirror - a very strong two way mirror. In fact, the whole cell was made of reinforced concrete and steel. Mr. Hlinka’s transformation into a monstrous hulk could possibly destroy the entire compound, but then again, he had one of Haven’s patented collars on.

Her hand went to her own neck as she kept going, walking past the next cell. The occupant inside was standing at his mirror, shouting angrily and pounding his fist on it.

Scott, James
CA-053
Rating: 3

The collars the prisoners were wearing muted their abilities, making it impossible for them to tap into their genetic advantages. Virginia hadn’t asked how they worked; she was mostly just glad no one had ever used one on her.

“Everything okay?”

She looked up, startled, and found Major Silvestri looking back at her, the Haven scientist at his side looking at his watch. He smiled at her, and she quickly smiled back. “Oh, yeah. Sorry.” She walked past Mr. Scott and caught up with the Major.

“I understand if it’s disturbing to see your kind being treated like this,” he said.

“Criminals?” She raised an eyebrow, and he laughed.

“If you would..?” Dr. Batra gestured toward the door at the end of the hall, and Major Silvestri apologized and led the way into the room. It was concrete and plexiglass, with a soldier sitting back in one of two medical chairs in the center of the room. Major Silvestri was left behind the plexiglass in a viewing area with a white coated woman holding a tablet while Dr. Batra bustled Virginia into the main part of the room.

The soldier had an IV and several sensors hooked up to him, monitors beeping quietly just behind him. Virginia swallowed hard, but sat down in the available chair and leaned back, trying to relax as the doctor applied several small sensors to her skin at key monitoring points. “Your heartrate is high,” Dr. Batra remarked, and she tried to smile. Being in a room almost identical to the one the construct in her head resided in was difficult. To her knowledge, Virginia had never seen a room like this before, until a week ago when Ms. Greene had made her little house call.

“I’m fine,” she said, taking a deep breath.

“We could sedate you for the process,” he said, and she shook her head. He looked over to the viewing area, and Major Silvestri nodded. “Very well. Your blood will be drawn and put through this machine,” he patted a large, dialysis looking contraption with several tubes running through it, “processed and returned to you. The genetic material we gather will then be infused into Private Gregson’s blood.” A second machine, virtually identical to the first, sat beside the private. His eyes were closed.

She looked at the Major, and he gave her a thumbs up. Dr. Batra put a warm hand on her shoulder. “Thank you for volunteering, Miss Hayes.”

“Yeah, sure.” She watched while a nurse started an IV in her right arm before walking around her to stick the needle for the blood draw. Her heart was thumping loudly in her head, and the blood was quickly moving up the sterile tube into the machine full of proprietary Haven Corp. equipment.

Dr. Batra was standing near the soldier’s side, his back turned to the young man while he made adjustments on the machine that would shortly be remixing ‘genetic materials’ into his blood.

“You’ve done this before, right?” Virginia tried to sound conversational.

“Oh yes,” smiled the doctor. “Do not worry. In fact this is the second transfusion for Private Gregson. We were able to integrate Subject Five-Three - Ah,” he faltered, stumbling over his words for a moment. “That is, it will be fine. You have nothing to worry about.”

Virginia closed her eyes while the machine processing her blood hummed.

CURRENT VOTE
So, what’s next?
A. Take Anna and the kids to Disneyland with some of the money you got from the Locos. They could use a break and some fun that they couldn’t afford on their own, and you can talk to Anna one on one and maybe get some information on her pregnancy. xx
B. Track down Vigilante and find out from her what Haven is up to. x
C. Concentrate your efforts on fighting the GDPA by organizing another pro-mutant rally with the MLM (or finding out where their next one will be). You are pretty sure that Haven will be watching, and want to somehow catch them in the act if they try something like they did last time. x
E. Make an effort to get more mutants to join your cause - recruit Brotherhood members in other cells to join you. California’s GDPA and its mutant registry are going to be ground zero for a possible federal law if it is successful. We have to stop it.
F. Visit some state congressmen at their homes to ‘convince’ them to stop backing the GDPA.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

MEANWHILE pt2

The process took a lot less time than she’d anticipated. “Just lie here for a little while,” said the nurse as she carefully removed the needle from Virginia’s left arm, sticking a cotton ball over the puncture with a bandaid. Virginia bent her arm and looked over at Pvt. Gregson, who was just beginning to receive the transfusion. His eyes were still closed, but he looked like he was smiling.

“It’s really fascinating,” Major Silvestri was saying, talking to Dr. Batra behind the plexiglass. “My superiors are very interested in your success, as you know.”

“Ah, it is early days yet,” hedged Dr. Batra, but he smiled. “Once we isolated the set of chromosomes responsible for the mutation and… well it is more than just that, we also had to locate an individual whose genetic makeup would make them receptive to the gene therapy. In time we will be able to refine this so that anyone can receive the treatment, but for now… Private Gregson is one of only three individuals we have located. And the first undergoing this twice.” The doctor grinned. “It is quite exciting.”

Silvestri raised his eyebrows, but smiled and nodded. “Of course it is. I’m honored to have been invited.”

“Ah, well, you brought with you Miss Hayes,” beamed Dr. Batra. “Her mutation is a key ingredient to the cocktail your generals have asked for. If we can be successful with Gregson, then I am sure we will soon have a generic therapy figured out. And,” he looked out into the main room, “it appears we are almost done.”

Virginia’s chair had been lifted, allowing her to sit up comfortably while the nurse puttered around next to the private while his blood was pumped back into him. One of the machines started to beep loudly - his heart rate was spiking. The nurse took a syringe off of a sterile tray, grabbing for his IV stand to administer what Virginia assumed was a sedative. She emptied the syringe into the bag and fiddled with the tubing, all very calmly, and Private Gregson opened his eyes.

He looked over at Virginia blankly, sweat beading up on his forehead as Dr. Batra re-entered the room. “Please be laying still for a few more minutes, Private,” he said, “the transfusion is almost over.”

“He doesn’t look good,” Virginia said, eyeing her IV.

“All expected responses,” the doctor said, the machine finishing up and quieting as the last of the treated blood was put back into the soldier. The tubing was disconnected and the needle taken from his arm. “You are done, Miss Hayes,” he said, turning toward her. “We thank you for your contribution to science.”

She opened her mouth to speak, and tasted metal in the air. Her hair prickled all over her body, and a loud BZZZZZZAT slammed against her eardrums. Dr. Batra was thrown against her, and Virginia tried to help him stay upright as his arms flailed. Someone was screaming.

Virginia pulled the IV from her arm, scrambling to get out of the chair as Dr. Batra managed to turn around. His hands were up, he was trying to say something placating. Doors were opening and uniformed Haven agents were running in, tranquilizer guns in hand.

Electricity arced around the room as Virginia ducked beside her chair. BZZZZZZAT The nurse was on the floor, her hair smoking. She wasn’t moving. One of the agents had collapsed as well, his gun on the ground. She couldn’t see Major Silvestri.

bamf

She ‘ported to the other side of the plexiglass, and found the Major crouched on the ground. “We gotta go,” she said, kneeling down next to him. He nodded, his pistol in his hand. Virginia grabbed his shoulders, and looked through the open doorway. A teleport later they were beside the row of cells, in front of Ales Hlinka.

Down the hall there was a lot of yelling, electrical discharge clearly visible. And then he was standing in front of them, a quickly dissipating cloud of purple around his form. “Stand down, private!” ordered Silvestri, and Gregson looked at him through hooded eyes.

He raised his hand, and Virginia didn’t wait, teleporting into the empty cell on the other side of Hlinka. Lightning flashed through the hallway where they’d been.

“He’s just going to follow us!”

“I know!” Virginia ‘ported again, across the hall to another empty cell.

“We’re too far underground!” Major Silvestri was gripping his weapon tightly. “You can’t see to another section, so we’re trapped.”

“I know.” They ‘ported again, to another cell as Gregson followed, trying out his new teleportation ability.

The game of cat and mouse didn’t last long, a loud alarm blaring through the cell block as she hesitated a little too long before teleporting and Gregson nearly caught her with an electrical blast. Heart in her throat she closed her eyes and -

teleported

far away

Virginia opened her eyes. Everything was misty looking, and she stumbled. Silvestri was still with her, and he was staring around them with his mouth open. “Where are we?” His voice sounded strangely loud.

“I...don’t know.” There was a slithering sound behind her, and Virginia turned and looked, catching sight of what might have been a snake going behind a broken looking brick wall. The colors were all wrong, and you couldn’t see far into the distance, everything just got more indistinct and blurry the farther you looked. She took an experimental step, and the ground solidified under her foot as she moved.

Major Silvestri lifted his gun, pointing it just behind her. “Get us out of here, Hayes.”

She turned her head just a bit, and a writhing mass of purplish black tentacles reached for her. There was a suggestion of a beak-like mouth, but Virginia didn’t hesitate, grabbing Silvestri’s hand and picturing the outside of the desert base in her mind.

They teleported.

The summer sun glared down on them as they appeared outside of building 4, Silvestri dropping her hand and vomiting onto the dirt. Virginia felt a little queasy as well, sitting down heavily on the ground.

“Sir, sir!” A Haven guard ran up. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” the Major said, waving him off. “What’s the situation inside?”

“Contained,” the guard said. “Whatever was going on in there is done for now.”

Virginia laid back on the ground, staring up at the blue sky. Private Gregson was either dead, or now fitted with his own collar. Thanks to her. She shuddered slightly, the tentacled thing still very fresh in her memory. Better him than her.

Previous vote is still open

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

A

DIDNEY WHORL!

Outrail posted:

Why the gently caress now, I could do with a break from all the dark poo poo in other CYOA's. Disneyworld it is! A

I can't wait to see how everything thing goes comically wrong this time

Just to clarify, the vote was about going to Disneyland (in California), but you both voted for Disney World. That's a significantly more expensive and long trip... and it's in the lead!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

CURRENT VOTE
So, what’s next?

A. Take Anna and the kids to Disneyland with some of the money you got from the Locos. They could use a break and some fun that they couldn’t afford on their own, and you can talk to Anna one on one and maybe get some information on her pregnancy. xxx
B. Track down Vigilante and find out from her what Haven is up to. x
C. Concentrate your efforts on fighting the GDPA by organizing another pro-mutant rally with the MLM (or finding out where their next one will be). You are pretty sure that Haven will be watching, and want to somehow catch them in the act if they try something like they did last time. xx

Disneyland is still leading. I'm working on setting it up, but voting is still open. I anticipate we'll go to Disneyland eventually anyway. ;)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Everyone needs a break, and you need more information from Anna. Why is she being targeted by… Haven? Someone else? If there’s another player in town you want to know who and why. So you invite the residents of Redencion House to Disneyland. You don’t think any of the kids have ever been, and you make sure you ask Anna where some of them can hear you. Their immediate excitement meant she couldn’t refuse, and so you were waiting for them to arrive in front of Disneyland’s front gates.

Digger asked to remain behind - he’s more comfortable underground, and bright sunlight hurts his eyes after a while - but Squib, Wildfire, Billy, Spectrum, and Eel are all with you, and already inside the parks. Eel is the only one who’ll be sticking with you and the shelter group, so he is standing beside you as Scott, Ronnie, Susie, Jennifer, Aimee, Rebecca, Antonio, and Anna walk up. The teens immediately beeline toward the giant CALIFORNIA letters in front of California Adventure, all jockeying to get their picture taken with their favorite letter.

“Thank you, again,” says Anna, smiling warmly. She seems to have gotten past seeing you and your friends as just another gang, and you smile back. “This is so generous, and the kids are so excited. Gracias.”

You wave off her thanks, “It is the least I can do, really. Here,” you hand her the tickets, and she takes one and gives the rest to Antonio, who grins and waves them in the air as he walks over to the teens who are draping themselves over the O.

“They’re good for both parks,” you add. “Do we want to go into Disneyland or California Adventure first?”

A. DISNEYLAND!!!
B. CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE!!!

1. Any ideas for security? Intercept can hack into Disney's system, so he's got eyes and ears all over, but if you want anything else in particular let me know.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Does either park have any mutant themed rides yet?

Um, they can if you come up with one and I like it. :D

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Watch the kids like a hawk . Disney has elaborate security for watching kids but if Haven is as big as it is...

Also a mutant themed ride I'm think now wouldn't exist. With it being such a hot-button issue the only thing I could think of is there being warnings on rides advising people with alternate powers may not ride due to safety concerns.

Yeah there's probably some signage to that effect, like abnormal body types can't be accommodated on certain rides (wings, for example).

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: Its a small, small update

There are quite a few sedate rides - and many that others will want to ride but pregnant Anna cannot! So you have lots of opportunities for talking.

As far as Let the kids decide - they're leaning toward the Magic Kingdom! But they're so excited! Susie is the only one not talking over everyone else and laughing. She's being, well, Susie. She is smiling, though.

Anna takes her hand, and you all head into Disneyland. Ronnie and Scott want to go to Tomorrowland, while the girls seem set on finding the carousel in Fantasyland as their first ride.

A. Split up! Eel goes with Antonio and the boys, you stay with Anna and the girls.
B. Don't split up. Go to __________land (fill in)
C. Let the kids go have fun and don't worry about chaperoning them. They are teenagers, after all! (but make sure your people are trailing them at a distance).

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Also awkwardly try and get the low down on Antonio.
What does this mean? Are we going to [awkwardly] flirt with him or do you just want more information about him?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Yes, we executed someone, that's totally different than murder. Honest.

:D

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

It’s summertime at the Happiest Place on Earth, and it is packed. Even this early in the morning you’re surprised at how bustling Disneyland is. You are trying not to take every accidental bump as an enemy - but you’re also trying not to be complacent about potential danger.

Still, Disney knows how to do security, and they do it well. Your group made it through the metal detectors and bag checks and you split into two groups - Eel heading to Tomorrowland with Antonio, Scott, and Ronnie, while you stick with the females of the shelter and walk through Main Street toward Fantasyland. Anna is happy to let Jenn, by far the most gregarious of the girls, take the lead. Rebecca has her hands in her pockets; Aimee is next to Jenn, looking in store windows and exclaiming over the merchandise; Susie hangs back, holding Anna’s hand. She’s the oldest resident of Redencion House, nineteen (the same age as Antonio), but possibly the one least able to take care of herself.

There’s probably a long story behind how she ended up at the shelter, but you only have time to dig into one backstory right now, and that’s Anna. You’ll find the right moment to talk to her.. or you’ll make one if you can’t stumble into it.

The mix of people around you is truly impressive - tourists from around the world all congregate to worship the Mouse and exchange their hard earned money for trinkets and novelties. Mutants rub elbows with the mundane, children gape at costumed characters from movies come to life in front of them, and everywhere you look people are smiling. Everyone is so drat happy it’s rubbing you the wrong way, but you try to remain in the moment. The whole reason you’re here is to give disadvantaged teens a day of fun...and to find out why winged mutants are crawling in Anna’s window to extract amniotic fluid in the middle of the night.

Okay, mostly the second part. The kids having fun bit is a happy side effect.

Maps are consulted and a course plotted through the crowds, and you find yourself at the carousel. Eel informs you they’re getting in line for Star Tours, and you catch sight of Billy eating a churro by the Dumbo ride. The line isn’t too long, and the girls quickly run to find their favorite horses to ride while Anna laughs at their enthusiasm and picks one out for Susie. She takes the one next to her, and you find yourself riding a carousel for the first time in…

...well, since before you knew you were a mutant, anyway. You find yourself studying Susie and her reaction to all of this. She’s withdrawn more than usual, just following along and doing what she’s told. You imagine the crowds are making it difficult to deal with sudden bouts of precognition, but on the carousel you see her eyes focus on the colorful horse, and she smiles.

Anna is watching the girl as well, as close as a mother hen, and she is speaking soft words of encouragement to her as the ride spins.

When the ride is over, what next?
A. Head for It’s a Small World
B. Try to join up with the boys in Tomorrowland after they get off their ride. Space Mountain calls!
C. Go to a different ride/area (write in)
D. Don’t really want to drag out this Disneyland interlude, just get us to a quiet place so we can get the dirt on Anna. I have some ‘random’ events that we can trigger by going to different places on the map, so I’m interested in letting you guys pick your way through the parks, but if that doesn’t seem fun we can just skip to the conversation and move on.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A tie? :ohdear:

A xx
B xx

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Space Mountain is a good distance away, and you’re concerned about making Anna walk so far, but she assures you she’s fine. You all trek over to Tomorrowland while you message Eel about meeting you at the ride. By the time you arrive the line is forty-five minutes long, and the boys are hanging around the Fastpass station.

“We should get a Fastpass and do another ride while we’re waiting,” says Antonio. He drapes his arm around his sister’s shoulder, and she gives him a good-natured dig in the ribs with her elbow to get him off.

You grew up in the midwest, and while you’ve been in California for a while now you’ve actually never been to Disneyland before. “Whatever you guys want to do,” you say, smiling. “It’s your day!”

The kids have a small conference, and decide to get the passes and go to the Astro Blasters in the meantime. There are the standard warnings in front of the ride (keep any wings folded at all times, stay inside your car, etc) but it’s safe for pregnant women to ride. Anna joins you all in line, and you try to make small talk with Antonio while you wait. He’s eight years younger than you, but he has a charming, easy going way about him that makes it easy to flirt with him.

Not that you’re flirting with him. Are you? You laugh at one of his jokes to the kids and mentally tell yourself to pull yourself together, and look over at Eel, who is leaning close to Anna and making her smile. You narrow your eyes a little. He seems pretty chummy with her, so maybe he’ll be able to get the information you want.

The line is moving fairly quickly, and you’re nearly to the boarding area when Susie pulls on the back of your tank top. “Don’t hit them.” What?

A group of college aged guys are in line right beside you - the line has doubled over on itself so they’re ahead of you in line - and they’re loudly laughing. At Aimee.

The short girl (she’s only about five feet tall) flips her hair out of her face and you can see she’s balled her hands into fists. “What did you say?”

“Just wondering if you were purple all over,” leered one of the guys. “Freak.”

Uh oh!
A. Stand back, see what happens.
B. Interfere, diffuse the situation (write in how)
C. Punch that idiot in the face.
D. Something else, write in

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

“That’s funny,” Aimee says. “I was just thinking that you were ugly all over. Idiot.”

The older guys laugh, “She’s got you there!” “Watch out, she’s got claws!” and other nonsense, but the loud one glares at Aimee. “You talk a lot of poo poo.”

“Not as much as you do,” she quips, her hands relaxing a bit. Anna is further up in the line and hasn’t noticed the altercation yet. The line starts moving again, and the guys are forced to move, and Aimee flips them the bird as your two groups separate.

“Just wondering if you were purple all over,” mimics Jenn, her voice a perfect match. Aimee pretends to punch her in the face, and they laugh. “There’s a racist in my line!” Jenn intones, in Woody’s voice from Toy Story.

“Hey, that’s a great impression,” says the dad of the family behind your group, and Jenn grins.

“Thanks!” She talks to the little girls with him in Cowgirl Jessie’s voice, and they’re thoroughly entranced by her act.

The ride itself is uneventful. You end up in a car with Ronnie, and the young man is impressed with your shooting skills. You’re determined not to let him beat your score, so you end up concentrating pretty hard at trying to hit all the targets. “Better luck next time, kid,” you wink. Everyone wants to hang around and see the pictures of them on the ride after it’s over, and you catch sight of the frat guys lurking just outside. They’re laughing and punching each other in the arm, but you notice that the loudmouth is glancing back at your group, and you don’t like the way he’s still looking at Aimee.

By the time the teens are ready to move on it’s just about time to get in line for Space Mountain. The frat guys have moved on, but you’ve made a note of what they look like and will be keeping an eye out in case they run into your group again.

Anna can’t go on Space Mountain:
A. You stay back with her, try to have some girl time while everyone else rides the roller coaster
B. Let Eel stay with her, see if he can use what appears to be a mutual attraction to your advantage and get some of the info you want. You can always have girl time later if he can’t find out everything.
C. Something else. Write in.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYx8qT3ueXw

Eel is pleased when you ask him to stay behind with Anna, and they make their way over to one of Disney’s many eating areas where she can sit down in the shade. She says something about a frozen lemonade that made him laugh. He looks… happy.

Space Mountain’s line (with the Fastpass) is about five minutes, and you’re soon piling into a roller coaster car with the rest of the group. Is this good for your image? Enjoying rides at Disneyland like a teenager instead of cooking up a plan for influencing the upcoming vote in the state senate, or ...doing anything at all, really? Having fun isn’t something you’re used to. It actually is making you feel uncomfortable ---!! The ride accelerates, and you briefly forget about your worries for a breathless five or six minutes as you’re thrown about in the dark, screams filling the air as the coaster speeds through the course.

It is undeniably…. fun.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

And now, a short break from Zombie's emerging humanity...

:siren: Mr. Fredrickson (Portland, OR)

“Mr. Fredrickson has been considering her request,” said George. His name wasn’t really George, but that’s what Mr. Fredrickson liked to call him, so that’s what he went by. He rolled his shoulders, the quills that sprouted from his scalp, shoulders, and back rattling with the movement. His bare chest was heavily tattooed, mostly geometric designs featuring heavy black line work against his dark skin. There was a little Sonic the Hedgehog scratched into his skin just to the right of his bellybutton, put there by some kitchen wizard while they had both been comfortably high on pot back when George had been in high school.

“Really? I mean, uh.. really?” Hot Sauce scratched his nose. “I thought Zombie was still in Illinois. Or Colorado. Or...wherever it was she was.”

George closed his eyes briefly and shook his head, quills rattling. “She’s been in Southern California for about six months. Try to keep up.”

“Yeah, but sending some of us down there? I wouldn’t think that Mr. Fredrickson would have been into that.”

“You shouldn’t think,” said George. “Just leave that to Mr. Fredrickson.” He leaned out of the doorway, squinting against the late afternoon Portland sun. “Here comes the truck. Get everyone in the holding room.”

“Right boss.” Hot Sauce waved at the driver, and George ducked back into the brick building. Mr. Fredrickson, the leader of the Portland Oregon cell of the Brotherhood, resided in the main room in the back of the building. George was the only lieutenant who was allowed come into his presence, and he took the responsibility seriously.

”George.”

“Mr. Fredrickson.” George folded his arms across his chest.

”I’m tired, George.”

“It’s been a long day.” He looked at the clock on the wall. “Dinner is coming up.”

”Good. While we wait, George, I’d like to finalize the plans for California. She asked for my help.”

“In over her head, I imagine.”

”No doubt, no doubt.” Mr. Fredrickson laughed. ”We will send Zombie the skilled reinforcements she has requested. The situation cannot be allowed to spiral out of her control.”

“Of course.” George paused. “Who were you thinking of…?”

”Mmmm… Thorny. And Hot Sauce. Not required for our operation, and will give Zombie a new offensive edge. If she uses them correctly.”

“Very good. I will let them know.” George turned as there was a knock on the door. “Just a moment.”

Hot Sauce pushed a freshly showered and naked man at George when he opened the door. He tried to look around the quilled mutant, but the room was kept dim out of respect for their boss. George ignored him, pulling the man inside and closing the door on Hot Sauce.

The man’s pupils were blown, and he was staring at nothing as George walked him toward Mr. Fredrickson. As high as he was, the homeless man began to balk when he saw what he was walking toward. “What is this, man? What - I thought this was a shelter…”

The great mound of flesh that was Mr. Fredrickson quivered as George pushed the man closer. ”I am the last shelter you will ever need.” George shoved the man the last few steps, and he stumbled, his hands outstretched to catch himself against the slowly shifting mass.

George kept walking, ignoring the man’s cries of confusion as his hands stuck and were enveloped by the fat, his every struggle drawing him in further and deeper, until there was only silence in the room. Mr. Fredrickson hmmed, his massive bulk heaving. George didn’t even know where the man’s face was, all he knew was the undulating pile of humanity that filled a good portion of the room. Some people called him the Canniblob, but never in his presence.

After making sure Mr. Fredrickson was satisfied with his meal, George took his leave and went to make arrangements for sending Thorny and Hot Sauce down to California.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

dog kisser posted:

I'm imagining Mr. Fredrickson's voice to sound like Mr. Creosote from Monty Python.

This guy.
:stonk:

Maybe a mix of his voice and Jabba the Hutt. In my head Mr. Fredrickson has a fairly cultured, deep, resonant voice.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You meet up with Eel and Anna outside the mountain, and you see Wildfire trying on mouse ears at a kiosk in the background. He looks at you and gives a little shrug, while Anna seems to be standing a little further away from him than before.

“Where now?” asks Anna, looking at her kids.

“Indiana Jones!” “Matterhorn!” “Tea cups!” The map is brought out and studied.

Pick one or two (to split the group)
A. The Matterhorn!
B. The Mad Tea Party!
C. Small World!
D. Indiana Jones!
E. Take the Disney Railroad to
>>1. Toon Town!
>>2. New Orleans Square!
>>3. Main Street
F. Something else! Write in.
G. Worrying about everyone's safety while at Disneyland is silly. You decide to step back and let them enjoy themselves without you, while you ...do something else in the Park.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:D :unsmigghh:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJFGAX77zw4

The girls seem to be choosing rides that Anna can join them on and the boys decide to come with, so you all jaunt over to It’s a Small World.

Since you’re relatively new to the area, you actually have never been to Disneyland before. You have a vague idea of what to expect on this slow boat ride to nowhere, but the reality is so much worse than that. The little dancing animatronic dolls keep smiling and the song just keeps going… on… and on…

Some of the dolls are clearly intended to be mutants. Disney is making an effort to be inclusive to the entire world, so that means that mutants are represented as well. After all, their money spends just as well as everyone else's. A doll with rock textured skin holds hands with a Scandinavian doll holds hands with a Nigerian doll holds hands with a blue skinned doll. Singing, dancing dolls watch another doll creating ‘fire’ as everyone smiles. And sings.

And sings.

The boats bump to a stop somewhere in the mid point of the ride. At first you think it’s part of the ride, but after a minute of not moving you realize that the ride has broken down. You’re in China, you think, and a bridge looms near your boat. Jenn rocks the boat a bit, laughing, and Anna admonishes her.

You, Jenn, and Scott are sitting in the back of the boat, Anna is directly in front of you with Susie (who is staring at the animatronic dolls) and Ronnie. A row of Japanese tourists are taking up the front row, and they’re taking selfies. Antonio, Eel, Aimee, and Rebecca are in the boat behind you. You’re feeling very uncomfortable. How long are you going to be stuck here?

Another minute passes with no movement. You look up. Anything could be hanging around in the rafters here. You turn your head, press the little earpiece you are always wearing, and connect to Intercept. “I’m on It’s a Small World. It isn’t moving.”

”Ahh.. hang on a minute.” You wait. The music continues. Aimee pretends to shoot herself in the head with her finger and slumps over, giggling. Susie stares up at the bridge. ”Looks like a fault in the ride. They’re confident they can get it fixed and have maintenance on it. Just sit tight.”

Easy for him to say.
A. Sit tight, wait for Disney to figure out their poo poo and get the ride moving.
B. There have to be hidden exits/entrances around here. Evacuate the boats, get Anna out of this enclosed space.
C. There are hidden entrances - ANYONE could be in here and you’re a sitting duck. Have everyone stay put, you’re getting out and investigating this area.
D. C, but you’re staying with the group and Eel is investigating.
E. Something else, write in.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Tran posted:

Beg Intercept to kill the music at least until the ride is fixed.

I mean seriously anyone would be edgy after the realization sinks in that they're stuck listening to this on a loop. Also maybe it'll let us hear if anyone out there is creeping up on us. Sure, totally asking for practical reasons. Not because Zombie is on the verge of freaking out, no sir.
:shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efL2lOc5IlQ

:shepface:

"We are having technical difficulties, and apologize. The ride will resume shortly, please remain in your boats."

Another minute passes, feeding your paranoia as the music grates on your ears. You lean forward to ask Susie a question, and she turns to face you at the same time. "He turns the music off."

"Uh, do you -" your question sort of dies on your lips, but you struggle through stubbornly. "Do you see anything? Dammit. Okay."

"This song is annoying." Susie presses her lips into a line and turns back to the scenery.

"Intercept? Can you override the music until they get the ride moving?"

"Just give me a minute."

Thirty seconds later the music stops. You hear a ragged cheer rise up from the boats around you. "Gracias a Dios!" exclaims Anna, and everyone laughs.

The ride still isn't moving, and while the music has stopped, the increasingly creepy little dolls are still doing their programmed dances.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

LowellDND posted:

THE DOLLS ARE ABOUT TO ATTACK

SHOOT THEM FIRST

You don't have your gun! In fact, you don't have any weapons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Anna is the best weapon you have at hand. With no clear threat (or any threat, even if that doll does look possessed and keeps grinning at you) you're probably not going to get her to turn Small World into the next ice age.

• Locked thread