Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Welcome to Something Awful’s first play-by-post game of Dark Moon. This will be a five-player game with rules (mostly) as written.

Rules can be found at here.

REQUIREMENTS
  • You must have PMs enabled to play.
  • You are expected to be active and check in at least once a day.
THE ACTION QUEUE/12-HOUR RULE
  • At the bottom of every mod post, there is an Action Queue that announces what we are waiting for.
  • If you are at the top of the Action Queue, you have 12 hours to post or PM me to complete it. This is a soft limit – once the 12 hours have passed the top of the Action Queue will be auto-resolved at my discretion.
  • The time requirement will be relaxed on weekends, or if you let me know something is up.
  • If we have to repeatedly have to auto-resolve your choices, you will be replaced.
  • You may pre-load you actions ahead of time (ex: ##repair with 1S 2W, submit the weakest positive die). This must be done via PM. Please be as specific as possible.
ANNOUNCING PLAYS/ACTIONS
  • All game actions must be prefaced with two #s, and bolded (ex. ## repair outpost). Please be specific and brief.
  • When performing a repair or lone wolf action, PM the three dice you would like to roll.
  • Pre-loading is a big part of keeping a forum game running smoothly. Players are encouraged to pre-load whenever possible, especially during tasks and repair actions..
TASKS
  • Players must announce whether they are in or out during tasks. This can be done once the task has been announced in the thread. Players that are out will be able to retrieve dice in turn order. Those that are in will have their dice results sent to them via PM.
  • Dice retrieval and contributions will be handled in turn order. After each contribution, the player should announce if they intend to stop or reroll.
  • Discussion of roll results is not allowed until it is the player’s turn to contribute.
  • Do not reveal your non-chosen task cards. Vague statements like “the other complication was worse” or “both cards were going to hit shields” are fine, but don’t quote numbers or extended blocks of texts.
MISCELLANEOUS/SECRECY
  • The initial board setup and characters will be randomly selected according to the rules.
  • It’s expected that you will keep track of your dice pool, but I will PM updates by request
  • For voting, you may PM ## guilty/innocent/abstain. If you don’t have the required die the vote will auto-abstain. Voting ends once either everyone PMs me their decision or the 12-hour rule takes effect.
  • Don’t quote PMs from myself or PM other players about the current game.

To sign up, post ## they're dead, Mac. I’ll leave signups open until later tonight or tomorrow afternoon depending on the number of people interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
REFERENCE

CHARACTERS

quote:

Chaya Besser, Psychologist- When drawing task cards, draw 3. Discard 2 and reveal the other.
Daniel, Hazard Duty- Cannot become fatigued
Luba Zheleznyak, Recon- Once on your turn, you may reroll your dice rather than submitting 1.
Steve Townsend, Shield Technician- After attempting to repair shields, retrieve 1 die.
Michihiro Tomoko, Doctor- After attempting to repair life support, retrieve 1 die.
Enver Ganon, Mechanic- After attempting to repair outposts, retrieve 1 die.
Jon Reed, Operations Manager- When passing, retrieve 1 additional die.

Note- Skills that retrieve die from repair actions only work if that player is the active player.
ACTIONS

quote:

HUMAN
Repair: Choose shield control, outpost status, or life support to repair. Roll up to 3 dice, submit 1. If the die is positive, remove 1 appropriate damage.

Lone Wolf: Roll up to 3 dice, submit 2 dice. If both submitted dice are positive, advance the current task 1 step.

Issue order: Choose 1 player who may either perform 2 actions normally OR retrieve 2 dice (respecting die limits).

Call Vote: Choose 1 player to vote on. Each non-revealed player PMs me if they believe the player is innocent (if they have a strong die), guilty (if they have a weak die), or if they wish to abstain (if they are unsure or have no dice). Attempting to vote without the required die will result in an abstaining vote. Decisions will be simultaneously revealed and no dice are submitted with this action.

Reveal as infected: Reveal infection card. If not quarantined, trigger your infection power and roll 1 die. If the die is positive, trigger power again.

INFECTED
Energy Spike: If 1 or less damage on shield control, add 1. Test the shields.

Sabotage: Mark shield control, outpost status, or life support as sabotaged. Players must discard 2 dice when attempting to repair that sector during their turn.

Interference: Draw 3 task cards. Discard as many as you wish. Place any remaining cards on top of the task deck in any order.

Demoralize: All uninfected players, beginning with the one following you, must replace all their strong dice with weak dice until all available weak dice are gone.

Test Commander: The commander must roll all of his dice and submit 1. If negative (or he has no dice), you may draw one damage token of your choice.
ADDITIONAL STATUS EFFECTS

quote:

Fatigue: You may not use your character’s special ability or submit more than 1 die to any malfunction.

Quarantine: Your die limit is reduced by 2. You may not perform repair or lone wolf actions as well as draw task cards on your turn.

Commander: You gain control of the commander die. During votes, you break all ties. When events are completed, you choose between two new events to be put in play.
INFECTED STATUS CARDS

quote:

Draw 2 outpost tokens and choose 1 to place on the board.

Draw 2 fatigue tokens and choose 1 to place on the board.

Draw 1 shield token and place it on the board. Then test the shields.

Note: All cards only trigger if the player is not in quarantine. After resolving the effect, roll a die. If the result is positive, trigger the effect a second time.

The OP was shamelessly stolen and modified from Cocks Cable’s BSG OP.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
That thread title is just loving brilliant.

Subscribed, but I don't know if I actually want to play.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

## He's dead, Mac.
I've never played this, but I hope I can keep up!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

What the hell, I'll give it a go.

## He's dead, Mac.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stelas posted:

What the hell, I'll give it a go.

## He's dead, Mac.

You fucker, I was going to say that.

##They're dead, Mac.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I WANT YOUR DISEASE INSIDE OF ME.

## they're dead, Mac

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Just need one more person for mandatory overtime and and non-OHSA compliant work conditions an exciting work vacation across the galaxy.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
gently caress it. ## they're dead, Mac.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
pre:

Turn 1.1 posted:

Event One : Event Two : Event Three: Final Event: Escape (0/3)- During: whenever outpost tokens are drawn, draw an additional one. Shield Control [X] [X] -1 [ ] Any positive [ ] -2 [ ] Any negative [ ] Infected victory Outpost Status [ ] Shield Control- Cannot repair [ ] Life Support- Cannot repair [X] Research Lab- Cannot call vote [ ] Command- One less die when passing [X] Communications- Cannot issue orders [ ] Hangar- Cannot lone wolf Life Support [ ] Chava Besser [ ] Enver Ganon [ ] Jon Reed [ ] Michihiro Tomoko [ ] Steve Townsend [ ] Luba Zheleznvak Vote Track [X] [ ] [ ] Vote next suspicious activity Available Resources 0 Strong Dice 0 Weak Dice 0 Commander Die Turn Order > Enver Ganon (Gutter Owl): Commander. Max 4 dice plus Commander die. * Steve Townsend (Broken Loose): Max 4 dice. * Luba Zheleznyak (Some Numbers): Max 4 dice. * John Reed (Stelas): Max 4 dice. * Daniel (ActingPower): Max 4 dice.
I sent out characters and status cards to everyone. We'll be starting out with Commander Enver Ganon. The starting board has communications and the research lab already damaged. The final event will be "Escape".

Action queue

==> Gutter Owl (Enver): Select the starting event and take your action.
==> Everyone: Confirm your received your character and status.

The time limits will be relaxed since it's the weekend. Thanks for signing up!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I want you all to know that I am definitely, totally good and human, and you should all totally trust me. (##confirm loyalty)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You infected are going down. Here's to an uninfected victory!

##Confirm Loyalty

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

All right, all. Let's kick Infected butt and keep this station safe!

##confirm loyalty

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I am fine. We are all... fine. Nothing is wrong.

## confirm loyalty

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

## confirm loyalty

We are starting with the following event:
Tactical Prep 4- Upon completion: Place an event cube on the final event card.

## Repair outpost. Dice sent.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, am I reading this right? It takes 4 Tasks to pass this Event, which then shortens the length of the Final Event?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

That's how it reads to me. Less time loving around under the Final Event sudden death rules sounds pretty good to me.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Enver submits +3W.
Repair outpost is successful.
Enver retrieves 1 weak die via passive.

Action Queue

==>Gutter Owl (Enver): Select which section of outpost to repair. I'll send tasks afterward.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Repair comms.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, am I reading this right? It takes 4 Tasks to pass this Event, which then shortens the length of the Final Event?

That's right. It's roughly this game's Legendary Discovery.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Gutter Owl posted:

Repair comms.

Communications are repaired.

I tried sending out your task cards, but your PMs were full.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Cleared.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Oof.

quote:

Shield Malfunction- Difficulty 6, Consequence 3. If successful, the active player may remove 1 shield token. Suspicious activity.

## In

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Action Queue

==>Everyone announce if you're ## in or ## out.

Turn order for dice retrieval/submission

Enver Ganon (Gutter Owl)
Steve Townsend (Broken Loose)
Luba Zheleznyak (Some Numbers)
John Reed (Stelas)
Daniel (ActingPower)

No dice are in the available resources pool.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sorry, I read the rules the other day, but I haven't memorized the lingo. The Consequence is 3....shield token draws?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Some Numbers posted:

Sorry, I read the rules the other day, but I haven't memorized the lingo. The Consequence is 3....shield token draws?

Correct. Also, when shields get damaged they are tested afterward to see if there is any followup damage on the outpost or life support.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Are we announcing in/out in turn order?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
In/out can be done outside of turn order, but retrieving dice and adding in will still go in order. It's not perfect but should help keep the game running quickly while not screwing over the balance too much. I'll probably amend the rules to enforce in/out order on tasks that could end the game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fair enough!

##In

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

All righty then. I'm ##in. Consequence 3 doesn't seem like something to mess with.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, that seems pretty enormous. Isn't that literally 'fail and you are halfway to dead on one meter'?

## In

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm ##in.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

## Submit +2S and roll again

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
+2S added to task.
Total is now 2/6.

Action Queue

==>Gutter Owl (Enver): Submit dice/die from reroll.
==>Everyone: Continue to contribute in turn order.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

## Contribute +3S. Pass to Broken Loose.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
##Contribute +3W. You're up, Numbers!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hold on, something seems off. How did Gutter Owl submit a strong die with a +3? Shouldn't that be +2 or +4?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

ahahaha

quote:

Spiggy wrote on Aug 29, 2015 9:53 PM:
Sorry, that +3S should be +2S. Sorry for the mistake.

So make that a +2S for my second play in.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So, 7/6? EXCELLENT

##Submit -1W, -2W, -2S

:getin:

Stelas, are you my friend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006