Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

reddit liker posted:

i tend to disconnect an artist from their beliefs if they aren't blatant as gently caress about it in their music

I would say a lot of neofolk is very directly about the beliefs of the people involved in making it. in fact those beliefs and the use of a certain set of symbology are one of the defining characteristics of the genre. I mean musically speaking, an awful lot of it is just sort of gloomy acoustic guitar based music that follows fairly standard chord progressions and song structures that one can find in a number of genres - what sets it apart is, in part, the themes that it deals with, and the social/political/religious beliefs of the artists affect those themes to an enormous degree. So I don't think that disconnection can truly be made.

that said, just because an artist is using imagery associated with fascism or nordic neo-paganism or whatever does not necessarily mean they are actually a fascist... but there is still a strong connection to fascism and nationalism in this scene and there are definitely neofolk artists who are using music specifically to express fascist or nationalist beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

speaking of, no neofolk thread is complete without this

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Not exactly Neofolk but since they ran in the same circles: Anyone heard anything about the rights to Coil's music/reissues?

as for the bulk of their discography there are a lot of dumb rumours about who owns those rights and what is happening to them, and I believe none of them.

however what is actually confirmed for real is that the original version of Backwards is actually going to be released, which is pretty awesome: http://www.post-punk.com/coil-backwards-to-be-released-after-20-years-delay/

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

loga mira posted:

Folk, folklore are completely nationalist ideas.

wtf? Folk music and folklore predate the existence of nationalism by a very long time.

loga mira posted:

When you say "Celts" today you think mainly of imagery popularized through works of Irish and British nationalist artists.

Maybe some people do, but a lot of people are well aware of the fact that the Celts originated in central Europe, occupied many regions of Europe (and even Asia Minor) and influenced a wide variety of cultures. There are still plenty of references to Celts and Celtic culture that have nothing at all to do with Irish or British nationalism, or with Ireland or Britain at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

loga mira posted:

Not really. Folk culture exists only in a nationalizing state as a neutered and unified amalgamation of many different traditions, customs, atrs, crafts, symbols... Celts didnt know they were celts, they knew what village they were from etc.

They didn't always use the word "Celts" of course and have gone under a number of different names, but the idea of Celts as a group of cultures and languages certainly existed - and continues to exist - outside of Britain or Ireland, and folk music has definitely existed outside of and prior to nationalism.

And also you can literally travel to tons of places in continental Europe where you can visit the sites of Celtic ruins, see Celtic artifacts, and read about the history of the various Celtic tribes who lived in those regions, and that poo poo has nothing at all to do with Britain or Ireland.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

divabot posted:

Industrial has been totally-not-Nazi approximately since it started

That's certainly true of a small number of industrial acts but not even remotely true of "industrial" as a whole, neither the founders of the genre nor most of the more well known or noteworthy contributors have any kind of "totally-not-Nazi" poo poo going on. Boyd Rice does of course, but major acts like Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Einsturzende Neubauten, Nurse With Wound, Test Dept, etc. really have/had nothing like that, nor did any of the major acts of later waves like Skinny Puppy or NIN. I hardly think Boyd Rice defines the genre.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 7, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

divabot posted:

The link I gave in the article (let alone my own two links) answers this question with nuance. If you go back and read them, I think you'll find the question addressed in vexed detail.

It really doesn't though because it seems to ignore the rather large number of industrial artists that don't use any kind of Nazi imagery at all and certainly don't have any kind of "totally not Nazi" routine going on.

I tried reading your piece and found it to be rather silly. Bands like Laibach used totalitarian imagery as a reaction to their own totalitarian government, not because of "footwear". It's also kind of hard to take seriously a piece of writing that uses terms like "edgelordery" and "trololol"

quote:

I think you're failing to address that any blatant naziing at all in a genre is gonna be a problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, there are blatant nazi's and or blatant racists in just about every genre of music that exists. There are some genres where they are more prominent than others of course but I don't think industrial is really one of them. The reason it comes up with neofolk is because there's a lot more of that going on including some of the most well known and influential acts associated with the genre, which remains kind of a niche thing. Industrial is substantially broader.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 8, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Future Days posted:

I think it's hilarious that the antifas protest outside DIJ's venues because of Douglas' blatant eurocentrism but don't do it outside a Morrisey concert even though the man himself is a bigger racist douche than most neofolk artists. vOv

because antifas are not broadly anti-racist in every possible context, they are specifically antifascist, and they latch on to DiJ because of his use of symbols explicitly associated with actual fascist organizations

morrissey is certainly a racist and an idiot but he's not a fascist

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 8, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

divabot posted:

Hitting the Bandcamp new releases pile hard, and amused how much I'm seeing the "neofolk" tag on records that are not from this sphere in any manner whatsoever. They seem to think it means "folky but, uh, hipper". I wonder when anyone will tell them. Or if they'll give a poo poo. c.f. this (actually a metal singer going country) or this (which manages to have the tags "neofolk" and "trip hop" on the same record). Perhaps we could just tag everything "witch house".

that second one actually sounds halfway decent so i agree it probably doesn't deserve to be smeared as "neofolk" right off the bat, but maybe if you read the lyrics it turns out they're nazis

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i'm surprised there's not a filk thread here

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Holland 1940

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

A human heart posted:

The man who penned the article "Celebrate the day with a goth pool party" turns his pitiless gaze upon the neofolk scene, and you'll never believe what happens next

was.. was it a neofolk pool party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

divabot posted:

It's the most vexed issue about this stuff and there's no point in pretending it isn't.

No one's pretending it isn't? I think everyone here is well aware of the issue, but all your article did was basically regurgitate the issue in Though Catalog-esque language while not making any sort of point other than you like Death in Rome

• Locked thread