Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
Dissidia Final Fantasy [duodecim] 012

Alternate thread title: "The LP to spoil all Final Fantasy LP's"
Alternate Alternate thread title "Something something pun about points."
Mega Alternate thread title "The FF LP Megathread."

Oh dear god, what is this?
Dissidia Final Fantasy 012 (Now abbreviated to just Dissidia) is actually the pre-sequel to Dissidia Final Fantasy (note the lack of dumb latin and numbers).
But I'm guessing that doesn't really answer your question, so I'll explain in further detail.

Dissidia is a 3d fighting game, that pits you 1 v 1 in arenas of various sizes and functions. (well 1.5 v 1.5 really)
The games roster consist of 1 main character and 1 main villain from each main title Final Fantasy from 1 to 12.
Additionally Dissidia 012 adds a few side characters from choice Final Fantasy games.
Lightning is the exception here and sort of a unique snowflake. She is a main FF character, but she joins the 012 crew in the prequel story.
Also, the main villain from FF13 doesn't join us.
Lastly, this IS a Final Fantasy game. So expect RPG elements.

The LP will be complete when we finish the secret final boss, because of course there is one.

I have no loving idea what Final Fantasy is. Should I watch this LP?
Don't worry, I'll be serving as your guide and life mentor in most things Final Fantasy.
Either me or some poor smuck I've roped into doing it for me. But that also means that THERE ARE A TON OF SPOILERS.

If this is a presequel, why aren't you playing the first game first?
Because Dissidia 012 functions more as an expansion pack than a stand alone game.
Dissidia 012 contains all the story of Dissidia 1, and adds an additional "campaign".
It also adds a new game mechanic, polishes it up a bit more, and adds even more stages.

What's so good about Dissidia then?
First of all it touches up on older Final Fantasy characters, breathing new life into them.
All of the cutscenes are voiced. So characters prior to FF10 actually gets voices.
Let me tell you that the voice acting is really loving good.
The game is really fun to play. The combat is very deep. It's just... There are too many good things to say about it.
Also this game is on the loving PSP and it looks amazing.
I consider it the best Final Fantasy fan service game. And not in the "revealing clothing" kind.
The game also have a ton of winks to the main line games.

:siren:Warning this game is going to spoil things from the other Final Fantasy games. That's just the nature of the beast.:siren:

LP format
So since this is a fighting game, it's obviously going to be in video format.
Which means I have to learn entire new skills for LP'ing! Yay! Expect tons of errors.
When it's just me. The commentary will be live. Actually it's all in post. Guest commentary will be post commentary.
At least until I've learned enough to be comfortable with experimenting with new things.

Also slight technical notes. Since I'm scaling up a PSP screen to a larger screen, there is going to be slight ghosting.
That is how it's rendered on the actual PSP and it's not noticeable when you play on the actual PSP. That's just how things are going to be.

Thread rules
Don't loving spoiler the story of Dissidia. We can talk about things we've seen so far. Feel free to talk about the main line FInal Fantasy games as much as you want as long as it's relevant to what is currently happening in the LP.
While I do accept valid criticism, please note on how you word it. I'm much less likely to listen to you if you say everything is literally poo poo. Than if you were to say that my noise removal weren't up to snuff.

Participation
Yes there will be plenty of opportunities to vote about things.

:siren:Guest commentators:siren:
If you want in on guest commentating, feel free to sign up at the thread.
I'd prefer it if you had some knowledge of either Dissidia or the mainline FF games.
But even if you don't that's okey too. Sign up to ask me questions about the games, that I might have overlooked.
So when you sign up, please note what you know. So I can properly schedule when and where to fit you in.

One final thing
So yeah, video and audio editing aren't my best skills. And there are probably a lot of things I've missed out on. This is sort of like my previous LP of Legend of Kartia.
So expect a bumpy start.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Main LP videos

Duodecim
Intro/Tutorial Lightning
Episode 0 Chapter 0 Lightning
Episode 1 Chapter 1 Lightning
Episode 2 Chapter 1 Lightning
Episode 3 Chapter 2 Vaan
Episode 4 Chapter 2 Vaan
Episode 5 Chapter 3 Laguna Ft: SonicRulez
Episode 6 Chapter 3 Laguna Ft:GeneralYeti
Episode 7 Chapter 4 Yuna
Episode 8 Chapter 4 Yuna Ft:GeneralYeti
Episode 9 Chapter 5 Lightning
Episode 10 Chapter 6 Kain
Episode 11 Chapter 6 Kain
Episode (0)12 Chapter 7 Tifa Ft: shibbotech
Episode 13 Chapter Final Party
Episode 14 Chapter Final

Dissidia
Episode 15 Chapter 1 Warrior of Light
Episode 16 Chapter 8 Zidane
Episode 17 Chapter 8 Zidane

Reports

Report 1
Report 2
Report 3
Report 4
Report 5
Report 6
Report 7

---
Bonus/Challenge videos

Shibbo Challenge 01
Lvl7 Tifa vs Lvl16 Exdeath; No Equipment, No Hp damage taken.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 19, 2017

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

RESERVED THE SECONDNING

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dissidia is a good game so I'm looking forward to this.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Awesome! Looking forward to this LP, I was always curious about this series(?). Also, throwing my hat as guest commentator with pretty good knowledge of the FF mainline series but none of the Dissidia games.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I love Dissidia: Final Fantasy. Logged in like 370 hours or so. Never bothered with Duodecim. It looked like a really disappointing follow up to the original. Like you said in the OP, it was more of an expansion pack than a proper sequel (or prequel or what have you). I'd love to be a guest commentator if you'll have me. I've got extensive knowledge about the original, I've done my fair share of research on Duodecim, I played Prologus, and I've played and/or beaten all of the main series Final Fantasy games excluding 11.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I think it might well become a new series. The latest news I heard was that an Arcade version of Dissidia was being made where you could fight 3v3. 1v1 combat can get pretty crazy. So I'm not sure how that would even work.
I have noted your down as a guest commentator, and I'll fit you in as a wild card when we're done with basic tutorial land, and I get tired of hearing my own voice. (Which is really weird, when I have to edit audio.)

I'm actually really surprised at how much they crammed into that tiny UMD disk. The game really only suffers from lack of proper internet support.
There are no online matchmaking on the PSP as far as I know. And it's pretty hard to even get internet access on the PSP to begin with. As a result, I've never actually played against another person.
So if the game had been released on the PS3 or 360 I think it would have had much more popularity.

*edit* I also clocked in my fair share of hours. Mainly because I was commuting a lot. Unfortunately my eyes don't really agree with the PSP screen.
I suffer from being cross eyed. Not massively. But if I get tired or strain my eyes enough, not even my glasses can correct my vision and the PSP seemed to aggravate this even further.
So unfortunately I had to stop.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 28, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You haven't provided a link to this thread in the "New LPs thread".

I'm looking forward to this LP, because I have never played any Dissidia game nor seen anybody playing them.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I could have sworn I linked the image.
Also I'm really surprised no one have done a LP on Dissidia on SA yet.
But hey, this isn't a Saz LP if I haven't hosed something up :v:

*edit* :cripes: I had linked to the same image I used as a link. I'm a genius :v:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I was toying with the idea of doing a Dissidia LP, but then this showed up so :v: I have both games, and greatly enjoy them, so I'll be following this. The fighting system is innovative and fun to play when you're going against an enemy far too strong for you (like when you were fighting Feral Chaos) but it can get a bit annoying when you're being juggled to death easily.

Also, you might want to turn down the game audio a bit in your editing - it's drowning you out a tiny bit. Not enough to be a problem, but it's a little noticeable.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Duly noted. I have a new headset that is exploding with sound at 20% volume and a microphone that picks up on germs whispering, so that kind of threw me off.
I only lasted that long against Feral Chaos because it was my third take. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've always been curious about Dissidia, so this should be an interesting LP.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
drat, I saw the thread and was excited for a Dissidia LP, then I read the post and saw that it's by the same LP'er as the Kartia one, and now I'm unreasonably excited! :v:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

And then you saw the video and was promptly disappointed? :v:
Now I feel the pressure to perform. Well I can only try to do my best... Until I get too tired of trying my that and just half rear end it.
At least I don't have to worry about providing music links :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Disappointed you didn't choose to play as Shantotto, yes. :colbert:

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Well I wouldn't call it a "fighting game" per se. It's really an RPG when you get down to it, just with minimized RNG, but you still gotta level up and equip yourself

Also you mentioned your favorite character was added in duodecim. Is it Laguna? I bet it's Laguna

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

A Dissidia LP? I have been waiting for this for so long. I am glad you are doing this.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

It's the tutorial! I didn't chose this! Actually I won't have a choice in characters for quite a while. The game opens up later, but for now we're stuck in railroad country.
Also I didn't really get into the FF MMO's so whatever, I don't care about Shantoto. :colbert: Which is honestly better, as there are characters I actively hate.
But luckily Hope isn't in this game. :v:

Of the Duodecim crew, Laguna is hands down the best. His goofiness is just incredibly endearing to me. :allears:
And he makes a certain other character tolerable. If Laguna were in FF13 I might have been able to tolerate Hope.
Also Laguna has the greatest attack ever. That's totally not a reference to anything, completely disregard this. :v:

I only really call Dissidia a fighting game, because that's what it most closely resemble. I mean it's not the same as Street Fighter or Tekken with a focus on technique and loving arcane combo button input.
Maybe it's an action RPG?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I absolutely loved both games, I think I max levelled everyone but Bartz in the original at least, and then all the new characters in Duodecim (still didn't level Bartz). I mained Golbez, and would be happy to guest at some point when you have free party control and talk about how much I like playing most of the villains more than the heroes. If my PSP's analog nub wasn't busted (and my Vita just plain busted), I'd probably be trying to play right now after being reminded about it!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sazero posted:

I only really call Dissidia a fighting game, because that's what it most closely resemble. I mean it's not the same as Street Fighter or Tekken with a focus on technique and loving arcane combo button input.
Maybe it's an action RPG?

Arena Fighter.
Think Custom Robo, the DBZ Tenkaichi series, Gotcha Force, etc.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah. You're right. Never been playing any DBZ games, because I was at that age where it was a bit shameful to admit you still liked DBZ.
Now I'm wearing a cape, so I can go full on villain at any time. And to protect against rain, I guess.
But man, I feel dishonest changing the OP. What kind of villain would do that? :v:
Okey I would, but I'm too lazy to villain right now. Maybe just add a quote.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
You asked in the video if we could figure out what having a high bravery does. Well I didn't. You did a move and most of the 5 or so meters you have to keep track of for each character changed. So could you actually explain what bravery does, because I don't think the mechanics for the game speak for themselves as well as you think they do.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Paused posted:

You asked in the video if we could figure out what having a high bravery does. Well I didn't. You did a move and most of the 5 or so meters you have to keep track of for each character changed. So could you actually explain what bravery does, because I don't think the mechanics for the game speak for themselves as well as you think they do.

It was really apparent. He reached a certain bravery score (presumably max), the number got an outline, it allowed him to use a super move. When you run out of bravery, your HP starts getting hit instead of bravery.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That FFXIII battle theme sure brings back nightmares.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

It was really apparent. He reached a certain bravery score (presumably max), the number got an outline, it allowed him to use a super move. When you run out of bravery, your HP starts getting hit instead of bravery.

No. No. No.

The damage from HP attacks is equal to your current brave score. You can pull out any attack you have set up (three brave and three HP) with a button press (the square or circle button, I can't remember which is for which) and a direction on the circle pad.

When you run out of bravery, you go into a break state. In this state, the one who broke you gains the brave that was shown between the two HP bars, and the broken character cannot do HP damage. You regain brave in that state until you return to your starting brave, and you immediately return to the starting brave if you hit with an HP attack (for no damage).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Welp! So much for a system I immediately understood :v:

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

BlazeEmblem posted:

No. No. No.

The damage from HP attacks is equal to your current brave score. You can pull out any attack you have set up (three brave and three HP) with a button press (the square or circle button, I can't remember which is for which) and a direction on the circle pad.

When you run out of bravery, you go into a break state. In this state, the one who broke you gains the brave that was shown between the two HP bars, and the broken character cannot do HP damage. You regain brave in that state until you return to your starting brave, and you immediately return to the starting brave if you hit with an HP attack (for no damage).

It just wouldn't be Final Fantasy if my eyes didn't just sliiiiide over the explanations of the mechanics. This game looks fun as poo poo but holy crap why can't they just use normal words. Like, 'Bravery' seems to mean 'energy,' or even 'stamina.' "More energy/stamina makes your HP attacks stronger."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
So what are those purple meters on the sides? I don't think you ever mentioned them.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sindai posted:

So what are those purple meters on the sides? I don't think you even mentioned them.

Those are each fighter's EX Gauge. When it's full, you can engage EX Mode, which provides various bonuses, and allows you to EX Burst after landing an HP attack (although that instantly empties the EX gauge.)

There's also something called EX Revenge but I can't remember what that is exactly...

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

BlazeEmblem posted:

No. No. No.

Thank you for the explanation. As well as actually knowing it, rather than guessing.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

AweStriker posted:

Those are each fighter's EX Gauge. When it's full, you can engage EX Mode, which provides various bonuses, and allows you to EX Burst after landing an HP attack (although that instantly empties the EX gauge.)

There's also something called EX Revenge but I can't remember what that is exactly...

EX Revenge lets you expend your Gauge to freeze the opponent for a couple seconds mid-combo. It's basically a combo breaking mechanism.

Also I really liked these games and them and Monster Hunter were pretty much the only reasons I got a PSP. Looking forward to the rest of this LP, especially EXDEATH.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I'm sorry. I thought the the fact that the amount of health my opponent was missing and that it was correspondent to the amount of bravery I had when I attacked, would be a fairly simple deduction.
And I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. I'll be explaining better next time.
As for things I don't mention or explain. That's because I'll be explaining them in the immediate future. Like the Ex-gauge is something I was going to cover next update.
No point in talking about the Ex system without showing it off as well. Come on. If I'm not explaining something yet, it's because I either can't show it off or because it's not the right time for it.
There is a lot of things to explain in this game.

Last note on bravery and hp attacks.
HP attacks consume your bravery setting it to 0. And then it regenerates to your natural amount.
The speed of the regeneration is dependent on the difference between your natural bravery and the bravery consumed with an HP attack.

Say I have 6000 bravery, but my natural bravery is only 200.
That will massively slow the regeneration.

On the other hand if I only had 20 bravery and my natural bravery is 200
I will regenerate much faster.

Purple and outlined bravery numbers indicates a kill is possible with a HP attack.
An HP attack is signified by the blue box that appears at the top with the name of the attack.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BlazeEmblem posted:

No. No. No.

Square for HP, circle for brave. For those confused, it's not as complex as the names might have you believe. You use circle attacks to build brave and then square attacks to deal damage. It's like filling a bucket of water (circle) and then once you've gotten it to where you want, dumping it over a fire (square). Then you start building it up again until the fire is dead.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Jukebox Hero posted:

It just wouldn't be Final Fantasy if my eyes didn't just sliiiiide over the explanations of the mechanics. This game looks fun as poo poo but holy crap why can't they just use normal words. Like, 'Bravery' seems to mean 'energy,' or even 'stamina.' "More energy/stamina makes your HP attacks stronger."

Keep in mind that this game is a tribute to the Final Fantasy series. Bravery comes from Final Fantasy Tactics, and they use it here to reference that game.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I actually completely missed that reference. Well I'm probably a heathen, and weren't that into FF Tactics.
Also, I lied a little bit in my last post. I won't be discussing Ex mode just yet. But eh, the cat is out of the bag.

Next vid is encoding as we speak so... Update in a few hours. I think I got the audio properly this time. But it's an adjustment thing, so let me know if things are still too loud.
Additionally trying out difference voices and manners of speaking. So let me know if something is completely atrocious in that regard as well. I might be repeating a few phrases a bit too much,
and that's something I've got to work on a little bit.

Next update might take a while depending on how quickly I grasp the concept of jump cutting. You are going to hate me if I show each and every battle.
When I'm done with this LP I should be able to write video editor on my resume. Not that it will help me find a job drat it :argh:. At least it'll help me not feel like a complete useless bum. :v:

Sazero fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 30, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

LordHippoman posted:

EX Revenge lets you expend your Gauge to freeze the opponent for a couple seconds mid-combo. It's basically a combo breaking mechanism.

Also I really liked these games and them and Monster Hunter were pretty much the only reasons I got a PSP. Looking forward to the rest of this LP, especially EXDEATH.

Ex Revenge is sorta useless though.
If only it took half/less than 100% the bar instead of the entire thing. Like fighter games with segmented super-bars.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

:siren:Episode 0 Chapter 0:siren:

Yes, I realize that technically the intro is Episode 0, we're doing Chapter 0 so I like things fitting together.
In contrast to the intro, we're not fighting a drat thing this time. (Although Yuna suffers a bit from Lightnings haphazard violence.)
But that's okey because they best character get's introduced.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
the video is set to private

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ex Revenge is sorta useless though.
If only it took half/less than 100% the bar instead of the entire thing. Like fighter games with segmented super-bars.

Not entirely. Having played a ton of Prologus on Friday, it's just very situation-based. If you're about to die from a multi-hit HP attack, you can use it. I used it once when I was getting beat to death with brave hits, but had enough for an HP attack to win. Ex Revenge -> HP attack -> Win. If you have any sort of real lead then it's not useful, but if you're behind it can be a game changer. Especially if you're behind because your opponent is simply a better player and not just circumstance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I don't know why I'm being so stupid about releashing videos as private. But it's fixed now.

Speaking of Ex-Revenge. It can be useful for some characters, but as for getting out of combos I prefer to use the Assist.
Although doing that will lock assists for a little bit.

• Locked thread