Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

So I was itching for a traditional roguelike and I was debating between Qud and something like Dungeonmans or Tangledeep as I thought Qud looked like it might be a little 'too' traditional. But I wound up pulling the trigger on Qud and yea it is definitely dense but I slowly made some progress last night.

I think my first guy died in less than 200 turns. I kept trying to go north to do the watervine quest and getting stoned to death by baboons. So then I figured I'd try out a ranged character and that worked much better. I started by doing the eastern quest to get copper wire for the tinkerer in Jappo and got to level 4 before heading north to exact revenge on the baboons. The problem was it appears merchants don't refresh their inventory? So I couldn't buy any more arrows and by the time I made it to the Red Rock (or whatever that place is called) I was left just waving around a little bronze dagger. I made it down to level 3 of that dungeon looking for whatever critters were ruining the water supply but as soon as i stepped off the stairs I was surrounded by snapjaws and giant centipedes. I tried kiting them down a hallway but of course the hallway was covered in carnivorous plants and I met death #5 or so.

So my latest attempt is as a True Kin wielding a rifle and an axe with a mix of intelligence and agility. I figure a mix of range/melee might improve my chances of survival. Anyways, the games great but you definitely feel a little lost at first. I'm not sure if there's any kind of major goal or quest at this point - I've just found the 3 quests that are given in Jappo. I'm not sure if i'm heading for RedRock (or Redbelt?) too early? Should I be gaining some more experience before I go try that? I haven't tried any of the other start zones yet - are those generally way harder than a Jappo start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Gotcha, ya I did actually manage to get all the copper back to him once and he said something about some robots guarding a cave off to the north so that's another destination to keep in mind.

Whatever True Kin class I picked apparently starts with like half a dozen books which are all worth somewhere between $50-100$ each so that's some decent starting cash so I might check out the Stilt too - thanks for the info!

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

This is exactly the right amount of info i was looking for just to get started, thanks! And yeah the overworld thing was kind of confusing at first and i ended a few of my first attempts by getting lost in the wilderness but I think I've got the hang of it now.

Sounds like I've gotta pay more attention to reputations too, I had no idea what the water ritual was so I've just been ignoring it. And of course it never occurred to me that I could find a necklace that would make baboons not attack me. :rolleyes:

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

I'm starting to think I don't understand the map system as well as I thought I did - so is each square of the overworld map a 1 for 1 representation of the actual zones? Like I've got a quest that says go look for this thing that is 4 parasangs east of Red Rock. I know where Red Rock is and I can count four squares east of it, as soon as I zoom back down is what I"m looking for in that immediate zone? I initially thought that had to be the case but then I'll get lost and then move around several zones and finally find my bearings and zoom out and be in the same square I got lost in so maybe one overworld square represents several zones?

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Ok gotcha. That explains why when I zoom in on a town tile itll give me a choice of "town" or "center".

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

So I can pretty consistently reach the grit gate at this point usually around level 10 or so. Is that too early to go there? Or is there some better way to deal with the turrets? I figure it's the next logical place for me to be and usually the only quest left in my journal and I can handle most of the critters in there but inevitably something will come out of nowhere and just gank me. My last guy turned a corner and there were 3 turrets all lined up, I dunno if they all hit me at once or what but I went from 50 HP to dead in one turn!

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

eke out posted:

you just have to learn to be careful about going through doors via listening for chirps and immediately noping out if something starts shooting you. usually they're cordoned off in their own little areas and should require at least a couple turns before they kill you, especially if you have reasonable DV

i usually use the coward's method though: clairvoyance

Ok yeah I was trying to attack the turret so maybe not the best method of approach. Also I totally had clairvoyance buuuttt forgot to use it as usual.

Dachshundofdoom posted:

If you're struggling with Grit Gate and feel like you need more levels or better equipment, try going up to the Six-Day Stilt. You can avoid stepping on desert tiles almost all of the way up if dawngliders scare you. There's a ton of merchants up there, and you can turn in books and information about Resheph for extra XP.

That's actually exactly what I had done before I got to grit gate so at least I'm on the right track. I had chain mail and steel boots and some other stuff so I really was tearing through most stuff until I tried to attack a turret...

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Just when I was thinking that NPC interactions are a lil shallow (probably because I've repeated the Joppa opening so many times), I get myself embroiled in a full on detective mystery in a village full of centaurs. Interviewing witnesses, collecting evidence. Hemlock Cones? Brilliant.

Anyways I love this game.

Edit: lol I talked to the centaur I accused of theft and she told me to 'live and drink piss"

untzthatshit fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 26, 2020

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

I somehow managed to get a #3 spot on the daily leaderboard - I have to just assume no one tries the dailies because I only made it as far as one tile out of the starting village before my evil twin hunted me down and exploded my brain but somehow that was still worth 12,000 points.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Why the heck can I not get a knollworm to drop a corpse? I've got Waxflab and need the corpse to cure it but every time I kill one it apparently evaporates into thin air instead of leaving a body. I do not have Butchery toggled on, I'm not frying it with a laser or anything. I'm just stabbing them with my short sword and getting nothing. I must have killed over a dozen at this point. Am I just being incredibly unlucky?

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Ah, well, back to worm hunting then!

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Couple of things that made my early level experience a lot better (not to say you're not already aware of this) BUT:

A) having some of the wayfaring skills which are super cheap and also can be bought from one of the starting villages if you don't pick a character that already comes with it, makes a big difference. You won't get lost nearly as often and instead will find cool ruins and stuff to explore. If you happen to get a compass bracelet too, which I find are pretty common, then your chance of getting lost drops to like 1% or something.

And B) always pick a mutation that gives you a means of escaping a lovely situation. Maybe that's teleport, or spinnerets, or force wall or force bubble. But some sort of instant "nope-the-gently caress-out" skill is a necessity while learning this game.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Salt Kraken corpses are worth like 15,000 drams though!

https://cavesofqud.gamepedia.com/Making_Money

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Unormal posted:

[*]Segmented mirthworms, knollworms, plated knollworms, worms of the earth, and leeches now leave corpses more often.

Oh thank god

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Really liking this latest update with the Roleplay option. At first I was like, am I cheating a bit? But right now my character has Glotrot and lost their tongue, I cured the disease but since you can't regen at Grit Gate anymore I still don't have a tongue. So I figured I would just continue on with the Mamon quest, which was made more difficult by the fact that all my fresh water keeps becoming putrid. Then when I finally do kill Mamon, I can't turn in the quest because I can't talk! So now I guess I'm just gonna head to Bethesda Suda and hope to find a regen tank.

So yeah, game's still plenty hard without permadeath! Open to any suggestions on other options for regrowing my dude's tongue.

Edit: Cause yeah, I can't even scratch the Cragsmench yet

untzthatshit fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 22, 2021

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Gotcha, yeah an electric dagger helped me get through the surface level Crags.

Follow up question: is there usually a hostile dromad caravan + two impossible level templar knights and thralls waiting for you as soon as you go down the first stairs into Bethesda? Or am I just underleveled atm? I'm level 18.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Angry Diplomat posted:

No, you might have run into one of Ptoh's legendary psychic toadies.

That's exactly what it was. I of course, died, and then went back there. When I returned there didn't seem to be the same mob when I went down the stairs so I cautiously took out a few Cragsmench and cultists around the staircase when a legendary Servant of Ptoh suddenly appeared out of thin air. I booked it up the staircase but then when Ptohs Servant followed me they spawned several minions in one turn including some dromads and saltbacks which surrounded and killed me.

So to recap, I've got no tongue, can't turn in any quests and the regen chamber is guarded by something way more powerful than myself so I tried instead to travel to Yd Freehold cause I remember reading somewhere in this thread that there's another regen tank there. Getting there was a PITA cause I keep throwing up in my waterskins so I'd set out and make it about 4 parsangs before I run out of water. Then I'd have to head back and sell some stuff and try again, hoping to make it without getting sick in my own water supply this time..

So I finally made it but now realize I have no idea how to use this tank...It's full of convalescence but the charge is low. It looks like I have the bits to charge it up but there is no charge option when I interact with it? How exactly do you use these things?

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Arcvasti posted:

Repeat until you either find the glotrot cure or get tired and wish yourself disease free.

Uh yeah this ended up being the way to go..I read the patch notes on regen tanks. Leveled up and got the Tinker skill I was missing. But you have to recharge the tank while you're in it according to the wiki..So I did that 3+ times waited over 300 turns and nothing. I suppose there was some other step I'm missing. The tank is full of homogeneous convalescence, i kept recharging it with A bits and waited 300 turns. Finally I figured I had essentially regrown my tongue in spirit and just wished it back and continued onwards!

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

I've played over 100 hours but so far never made it farther than Bethesda Susa in the main quest. I decided to just make a simple melee build, play on roleplay and make a point to try and see the latter half of this game finally.

I suppose there might be a few spoilers in here for mid-game stuff

Very early on I find a Mechanimist's lair which let me do an extra water ritual before I got to Six Day Salt thus letting me proselytize every merchant in town. I also found a hand-e-nuke off a random enemy at like, level 6. Which I then threw down the well at Six Day, became loved by the Mechanimists, recruited the main priest NPC and then proceeded to let them loose on everything in Bethesda Susa. The priest continued to carry me through the game until we got to the base of the Spindle and didn't feel the need to use range attacks against the violent palm trees. I have NO idea what happened when I returned to Grit Gate but I knew enough to activate the turrets before doing the next quest step...I was in no shape to actually fight the templars without my Mech Priest friend. I tried, but ended up retreating to a corner and eventually getting the all clear. Despite my complete lack of assistance, only one bear died and very little infrastructure was destroyed.

Anyways now I'm traipsing around the Rainbow Wood and it feels like Golgatha V2. Any tips for dealing with these sludges? I can generally find the Eater's Flesh easy enough but then inevitably get ambushed and disarmed as I follow the path. I figure like Golgatha this is a situation where running as fast as you can is the best bet but a sludge always pops up in front of me and the next thing I know all my weapons are on the groundl

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Serephina posted:

Oh, and make sure fungi aren't hostile to you and that you can dig/attack through a weak wall at the end. Recoilers also work just fine in the Rainboow Wood, so you can program one if needed!

Lol so right after posting I gave it another shot and was able to sprint straight to the mushroom hut. Finished the quest and then went...oh poo poo I still need to get out of here. Somehow I completely blanked on the fact that I could use a recoiler and wound up dying again on my way out :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

There's probably a way to change the zoom on steam deck but I can't find it..I like the new UI but everything's very tiny on the main window - what am i missing?