Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Man, I really love Eurosport Player giving me 11 courts and absolutely zero commentators. What a luxury. Totally worth the €7 to not watch tennis like a scrub.

Cibulkova has such a lovely, graceful service motion. And is also completely outplaying Ana at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Hmm, I kind of expected a lot more out of this Vandeweghe/Mattek-Sands match but CoCo's been completely off so far. At least she did probably the best racquet smash of the tournament in the first set.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

gently caress me, I went to bed after the first set cause it was already 4:30 am here. I knew it was a bad call. :(

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

fancyclown posted:

Vika v Kerber up next on Arthur Ashe! :getin::getin::getin::getin::getin:

I'm expecting this to be brutal. I hope it doesn't disappoint, Federer's match was like an afternoon nap.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Match definitely delivered and I'm pleased Azarenka won, it'd be good to have her back in the top and contesting for majors. I'm almost deaf to her howling by now too.

Hopefully Bouchard can recover for tomorrow, it'd be real bad luck to have to withdraw just as she finally looks to be finding some fire back. Between the grit and emotion she showed in her singles matches and the fun she looked to be having in the mixed doubles it seemed like the past year had humbled her a bit and some of the walls had been broken down.

Meanwhile Donald Young's staging another comeback. I hope he pulls it off.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Murray getting bossed around by Anderson. I kinda had an ominous feeling about this match although he's obviously not out of it by any means.

I'll be happy for Anderson if he does win, though, I like that guy.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That's Andy's major quarterfinal streak gone (minus the one RG he skipped a few years back). Well deserved for Anderson, happy for the dude. :unsmith:

This on-court interviewer is embarassing.

edit: Also Petra's through to the QFs for the first time at the US Open. She has a decent shot at making the semis.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

What on earth is with these on-court interviewers? "Go get a big plate of pasta!" Seriously? Maybe not quite as embarassing as the idiot from last night but not far off either.

Hoping Tsonga wins the next one.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This is such a quality match. Up there with Azarenka v Kerber.

edit: Also, I feel like I haven't seen this level of resilience and focus from Halep in a while. She looks 100% zeroed in. Might still lose, of course, but it's great to see.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 9, 2015

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

What a bizarre day of tennis.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

It blows my mind that in 2012 I was rooting for Federer to win "one last slam" at Wimbledon and now, three loving years later, I'm going to root for another one last slam for him. How in the world. Hopefully the Cincinnati match gives him a boost in belief, that sometimes seems to be lacking when he plays Djokovic.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Aw, Pennetta going out on a high note. Match was decent, just the atmosphere was really flat unfortunately.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

First three games pretty much setting the tone, I guess.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

nachos posted:

Here we go again with roger playing a flawless tournament until he meets Novak

Yeah, this really is the same old script again so far.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Feels like Federer just comes up short mentally in these big matches nowadays. Makes sense considering the opponent and his age but just so disappointing to see him making bad errors after playing so well in the previous rounds. He's still got the game to win, though Djokovic is clearly the better player nowadays, but he's just not bringing it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

drat, those lobs. He's too good.

edit: ^^ Yeah.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I can't believe it, jesus.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

For gently caress's sake. He better hold here.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

loving finally!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

Asderaki is doing a good job with the lines. I think it's the first time the US Open men's final is being umpired by a woman.

She's easily one of the best umpires, I think.

This match is probably better than the Wimbledon final so far, the outcome seems somehow slightly less inevitable even though it's an enormous struggle for Federer. Thank god he broke back just now otherwise the atmosphere would have fallen completely flat. He can't give away the third that easily.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

3/15 on break points. I'm not exactly surprised, but goddamn that's annoying.

edit: Djokovic's level has definitely dropped, to be fair. We complain about Fed's bad errors but Novak's making his fair share as well at the moment.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

The frustrating thing is that these matches always look kinda winnable for Federer but the big points end up going to Djokovic and the match with them. It's not a complete beatdown, could've gone the other way if Federer played some of the big points better.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Inevitable. He's doing well to get himself to major finals and own the #2 spot. :) No shame losing to the best player in the world, especially when you're 34.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

The break point conversion thing is unreal. Was he always bad at that or is it a recent development in the past few years? 4/23 for gently caress's sake, that's woeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Fed has always had bad break conversion rates. It's a running gag.

Even peak Fed in 2005-07? I wasn't watching tennis back then. I only started recognizing the trend the past few years but I guess if it was back then as well it's just part of who he is as a player. Too bad. :(

• Locked thread