Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Was HP's decline purely the result of Fiorina or is there some truth to the idea of HP setting up her up to fail? It's not unheard of for a corporation to put woman in a no-win position.

She made massive and unnecessary cuts to personnel, instituted really moronic policies, damaged their long term R&D in favor of only the most profitable projects, and chased off valuable assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Please explain why this matters.

Its setting up an entire web server (along with associated security flaws) to run a simple printer control panel. Something that should need nothing more than a simple app with no backend.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

How are u posted:

Probably true, but she will be the martyr of the hour regardless of what happens. The good news is that she's martyring herself for a cause that's not actually going anywhere.

The problem is the sort of political motivation she'll give the vocal Right Wing minority.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

That loyalty pledge is about as binding as any other random piece of paper. He can easily ignore it.

That's my question, what sort of power does a loyalty pledge actually have?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

The powers that be know that cell phones are dangerous, the question is: how dangerous are they and whet methods of shielding work? The CDC is pretty much the perfect organization to trace that poo poo.

Edit: tablets are terrible

.....what?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

He's right, tablets aren't really as much of a replacement for a traditional laptop as the manufacturers would like for you to believe.

No, I know that. I was more curious where the radiation claims came from. But I've been informed it was a joke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

People were very much concerned about the ill-effects of frequent cell-phone use in the late 1990's and early 2000's. There were frequent news stories about this or that claim, and a study or two which suggested there may be something to it. I guess it ended up not being serious, or suppressed by the cellphone companies.

It was more that it was conclusively found to be harmless unless you are sun tanning directly in front of a tower....like within 5 feet of the transceiver antenna. At the top of the tower.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

silvergoose posted:

Saying "that is against my morals but we can guarantee our office will still fulfill its duties" is, as always, pretty much fine.

Chances are, based on her claims, she is not going to fulfill her duties.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Popular Thug Drink posted:

we'll see, spending a four day weekend in jail might have softened her edge. i'm sure most people who end up in jail really regret the events that brought them there after a few days, only this lady had a literal get out of jail free card in her pocket and decided to use it

She didn't have to. The couple got married. The event for which she was jailed in contempt passed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rygar201 posted:

Why? Aren't they just representing their client?

Their client is GAWD :smuggo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This guy is a brainless wad of cookie dough who needs his talking points safety-pinned to his shirt every morning by his handlers, but he's a ruthless union buster so his oligarchic sugar daddies are going to pull out all the stops no matter how low his numbers get.

I think it is most telling that the Koch's decided this was the pony to back. It really reveals just how bad they are at feeling out a candidate's abilities.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Crossquote from the Gay Marriage thread:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/09/hearing-starts-push-defund-planned-parenthood/71916392/

quote:

WASHINGTON — House Republicans began their effort to de-fund Planned Parenthood Wednesday with the first in a series of hearings intended to make the case that the group is illegally harvesting and selling tissue from aborted fetuses, a claim the group vehemently denies.

The hearing in the House Judiciary Committee — titled "Examining the Horrific Abortion Practices at the Nation's Largest Abortion Provider" — is the first of several hearings expected this fall as three House committees pursue investigations of Planned Parenthood. House Republicans also launched a website Wednesday to track their investigations into the group.

Beyond the specific techniques under scrutiny, the hearing became an opportunity to air a broader agenda of reducing abortions generally. Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., opened the hearing with a call for Congress to pass legislation to bar all abortions after five months of gestation, which would "help ensure that the body parts of late-aborted babies cannot be sold because late-term abortions would be generally prohibited."

Republican committee members repeatedly raised examples of abortions gone wrong or stories of infants who were mistreated or killed after failed abortions.

Perhaps the central dispute of the hearing emerged when Goodlatte asked Priscilla Smith — the one witness who supported Planned Parenthood — whether she believed that a standard "dilation and evacuation" abortion is "humane." She responded that for fetuses that are not viable to live outside the womb, it is a humane way to end the pregnancy. "Your view of humanity and mine are different," Goodlatte replied.

The hearings are the result of the release in July of portions of undercover videos showing Planned Parenthood officials discussing the fees charged to research groups for various types of tissue from late-term abortions and the techniques involved in recovering it. The group that produced the videos, the Center for Medical Progress, says they prove that Planned Parenthood is illegally selling fetal tissue for profit.

Planned Parenthood claims the videos are heavily edited footage that falsely portray the group's tissue donation program. Spokesman Eric Ferrero said, "While all of these congressional investigations are based on false claims and videos that have been completely discredited, we continue to be fully transparent and cooperate with all of the committees."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ComradeCosmobot posted:

National Geographic Magazine has ceased its 127-year-old non-profit run today. Starting today, it will now be printed by a new media partnership, National Geographic Partners, 73 percent owned by 21st Century Fox.

Yeah, I saw this. I was starting to wonder when NatGeo started publishing a bunch of "History of Jesus" and "Life of Jesus" stories.

Welp, now I know.

I fully expect Creationism and Global Warming Denialism to show up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Oh good, a man who has a duck hunting TV show has some thoughts on global nuclear arms control. :allears:

"What we need is some nuclear duck calls to help keep the Iranian's at bay"

How the gently caress are they using this guy to discuss global politics?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "The President has stolen my wife and I don't like it." ~ Joe Biden.

"Hey Michelle, how you doin'?" - Joe Biden

Presidential Wife Swap :smuggo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Talmonis posted:

Apparently the Ayatollah of Iran just poo poo in Obama's face in an attempt to sabotage the deal, by declaring Israel won't exist in 25 years.

The Ayatollah has been ranting and raving about the deal for days. I don't think anyone is really taking him seriously.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
E: DP

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/taxpayers-nfl-stadiums_55f08313e4b002d5c077b8ac?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=Politics&section=politics

quote:

When the NFL season kicks off Thursday night in New England, football fans will file into a stadium built with $72 million in taxpayer money. Compared to fans in other NFL cities, residents of Foxboro, Massachusetts, can thank their team for giving them a bargain.

Taxpayers have spent nearly $3 billion on the 16 stadiums that will host NFL games during the season's opening weekend, according to figures in a new analysis from the Taxpayers Protection Alliance, a Washington, D.C-based conservative nonprofit group.

All told, 29 of the NFL's 31 stadiums have received public funds for construction or renovation. In the last two decades, the analysis found, taxpayers across the country have spent nearly $7 billion on stadiums for a league that surpassed $10 billion in revenue last season.

"Unfortunately, beneath all of the glitz and glamour, these venues are nothing more than monuments to corporate welfare and taxpayer handouts," David Williams, president of the Taxpayers Protection Alliance, said in a press release. "These stadiums have been built on the backs of taxpayers who had no or little say in the matter and in many cases have benefitted little or not at all.”

The report provides a team-by-team breakdown of the “staggering” costs: $444 million to the Dallas Cowboys; more than $600 million for the Indianapolis Colts; and $424 million for the Cincinnati Bengals, in a city that later had to sell a public hospital to close budget holes.

Due in part to the size of its stadiums, no league relies more heavily on public subsidies than the NFL. Taxpayers contributed an average of $262 million to each NFL stadium built between 1990 and 2010, urban planner Judith Grant Long found in 2013, about $60 million more than the average MLB stadium received.

There is no complete accounting for the costs of stadiums to taxpayers, but the $7 billion figure is an accurate ballpark estimate, multiple stadium experts told The Huffington Post.

In fact, it may be too kind, said Rick Eckstein, a Villanova professor who co-authored a book on stadium financing. The TPA analysis relies largely on news reports, but those often miss other “subtle” costs that fall to taxpayers, like property and sales tax exemptions, the loss of stadium-related revenue to teams, and other forms of indirect support, he said.

The public sector is underwriting most of the risk, while most of the benefits that accrue, accrue to the teams.
Robert Baade
The new report links the subsidization of new stadiums to higher poverty rates and lower median incomes in their home cities, and it found that most NFL cities fared worse by both measures after paying for a new stadium.

That link is likely not as direct as the report hints, said Robert Baade, one of the first economists to study the effects of publicly financed stadiums on cities. It’s impossible to determine a venue’s impact on wages or poverty without complex modeling, he said.

There is, however, a “strong consensus” among economists that publicly financed stadiums are not worth their price, and the benefits stadiums bring do not align with their costs. Baade pointed to some of his earliest research, which found that cities that pursued what he called a “sports development strategy” indeed performed worse on a host of economic measures than similarly sized cities that did not build new stadiums to keep or lure pro teams.

If the benefits aren’t flowing to cities, they are instead going primarily to NFL owners. A 2012 Bloomberg analysis found that since 2000, new stadiums had helped double team values across pro sports, and Baade noted that while it appears NFL teams are now putting more of their own money in than they used to, they are doing so primarily out of revenue streams -- luxury boxes, personal seat licenses and other in-stadium revenues -- that either wouldn’t exist without a new stadium or are larger because of it.

“The public sector is underwriting most of the risk,” Baade said, “while most of the benefits that accrue, accrue to the teams.”

The imagined allure of an NFL franchise, though, means cities will keep spending, no matter what the research or opponents say. The NFL season will kick off while three cities -- Oakland, San Diego, and St. Louis -- are scrambling to assuage their current teams amid threats all three might leave for Los Angeles, and St. Louis and San Diego have already offered hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer money to build new stadiums.

So as fans continue to pour into newer, more lavish facilities built to maximize revenues for owners and teams, that $7 billion figure will only continue to grow -- long after the NFL season begins Thursday night.

Where's the conservative outrage at the NFL for stealing their hard earned tax dollars?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

The Oathkeepers have dispatched people to "protect" Kim Davis from federal marshals should she violate the judges order and be arrested again.

I propose a solution: They try to arrest her again and a Mexican standoff occurs and licenses continue to be issued. Problem solved.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

I thought they took an oath to uphold and defend the constitution.

At this point the Oathkeepers group is just a white supremacist movement.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/10/arizona-residents-form-group-to-investigate-string-shootings-along-stretch/

quote:

A group of Arizona residents have decided to take the investigation into a string of vehicle shootings along an eight-mile stretch of Interstate 10 into their own hands.

Members of the so-called “Bolt Force,” dressed in all black, wearing body armor and armed with semi-automatic weapons, said Wednesday that they plan to do foot patrols in part of Phoenix in hopes to catch a possible shooter who has been terrorizing the community.

With residents already on edge, someone tipped off the authorities about the group and reported one of the members as being suspicious, according to KSAZ. Police ended up detaining and questioning the leader of the group, known as “Bolt.”

"The communication error caused resources to be drawn to me instead of the shooter which is bad, and it wasn't a result of me, it was a result of a breakdown of communication," he said. "Today I was out alone scouting and looking for shell casings, but I relayed that to law enforcement agencies, someone is going to get hurt or killed, and we are adding another element to this, I believe our presence at night in the dark can be effective.”

The state Department of Public Safety said in a statement, “We would prefer they let us handle this investigation.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Aerox posted:

Bonus: This is their leader.

It's always important to select the right tactical contacts for your mission. I assume these let him see in the dark or something.

This guy is going to get shot by one of his own trigger happy people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mitt Romney posted:

Government shutdowns benefit the GOP over the long term. Anything that gets the American public to believe that government is dysfunctional is a plus for the GOP.

Once people's view of government reaches a certain negative level they are much more likely to support key GOP principles, such as privatization of public services and less regulation.

Same strategy they use for a lot of government regulatory agencies- cripple them and then point out how they don't work and need gutted or replaced by private sector/free market.

Pretty much:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Guess who the NRA honored?

:allears: Of course they did.

eSports Chaebol posted:

Regardless of your political beliefs it is an irrefutable fact that if every passenger on an airliner were armed it would be basically impossible to hijack an airplane and deliberately crash it into a skyscraper :v:

I look forward to in air gun fights.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

I like how we have pages and pages of :shillary: vs :bernget: when there is an impending government shutdown.

Ted Cruz is throwing a tantrum, so what?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quote:

Republican presidential candidate Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin intends to curtail the power of the labor movement through a series of dramatic legal reforms, according to a white paper released by his campaign on Monday.

He forged his national reputation by winning a series of high-profile battles with unions in his home state. Walker limited public employee collective-bargaining rights and instituted a statewide right-to-work regime. The white paper is his first blueprint for how he would impose similar measures nationwide.

Walker’s plan calls for, among other things, the elimination of federal public employee unions; the dissolution of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the main federal organ tasked with administering union elections and investigating unfair labor practice claims; and measures to encourage a nationwide right-to-work regime, in which unions would be prohibited from automatically charging fees to all members of a unionized shop.

He is expected to publicly discuss his proposals at a Las Vegas town hall appearance on Monday afternoon. In a press release, he said he plans to “check the power of the Big Government union bosses, empower individuals and protect taxpayers.”

“Any economic plan that does not bring our federal labor laws into the 21st century is incomplete,” Walker said. “To grow the economy at a higher rate requires a comprehensive approach, and the reform of labor unions is a key part of the plan.”

If implemented in full, Walker’s blueprint would be the most dramatic adjustment to U.S. labor law since the New Deal and the passage of the 1935 National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), which inaugurated the modern era of industrial relations.

Charlotte Garden, a professor at Seattle University School of Law, said Walker’s plan would “gut the NLRA” and “go a long way toward reversing a large chunk of the New Deal.”

“The language [in the white paper] about freedom of contract strikes me as a callback to the pre-1937 Supreme Court’s view of substantive due process,” she said. “The court went to great lengths to protect so-called freedom of contract between employers and employees, but of course what resulted was terms and conditions of work that hugely disadvantaged workers, who had very little real bargaining power."

The NLRB, which was established by the NLRA, consists of political appointees, so its orientation toward unions tends to swing, depending on which party controls the White House. Under Barack Obama, the board has issued a flood of pro-union decisions, buoying the labor movement but infuriating Republicans and industry groups.

Most recently, the NLRB widened the joint employer standard, which is used to determine legal liability for working conditions at subcontracted or franchised workplaces. Walker’s white paper describes that ruling, which could expose companies like McDonald’s to vastly expanded responsibility for the working conditions of countless franchise employees, as one of several NLRB “political giveaways to union special interests.”

Garden argued that eradicating the NLRB would cripple the federal government’s ability to adjudicate labor disputes. Walker would delegate the NLRB’s current responsibilities to the federal court system and the National Mediation Board, a federal agency that manages labor relations in the railroad and airline industries. As of 2015, the NLRB has an estimated 1,610 full-time employees; the National Mediation Board has 51 employees.

If the National Mediation Board took over the NLRB’s duties, it would likely create “a tremendous backlog,” said Garden. “It’s hard to overstate the mismatch between capacity and responsibility."

When Walker announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination, the AFL-CIO, America’s biggest labor federation, put out a curt statement describing him as a “national disgrace.” AFL-CIO communications director Eric Hauser repeated the insult Monday in a statement to Al Jazeera.

“Scott Walker can now add one-trick pony to his resume, right underneath national disgrace,” he said. “His campaign is floundering, and so he does what he always does when he can’t think of real solutions — he attacks workers."

Walker’s poll numbers have sagged over the past few months as outsider candidates Donald Trump and Ben Carson have risen in polls. Walker’s plan to fight labor unions nationwide may win him some favor from high-level Republican donors and conservative think tanks. The decision to roll out his plan in Las Vegas seems calculated to attract the interest of casino magnate Sheldon Adelson, an opponent of the U.S. labor movement and a major contributor to the Republican Party.

The conservative Competitive Enterprise Institute, which Walker cites in his white paper, applauded his reform plan in a statement to Al Jazeera, reserving special praise for his proposal to scrap the NLRB.

“The board has outlived its usefulness and should be abolished,” said the institute’s labor policy expert Trey Kovacs. “Government agencies shouldn’t operate to confer benefit on the narrow, private interest of a special interest group like labor unions."

http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...dium=SocialFlow

:stare: Somewhere, Ayn Rand creamed herself.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 15, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...k-to-school.ece

Muslim 9th grader makes a clock built into a pencil case, shows it off to everyone saying it is a clock. Faculty all say it is obviously a bomb because why would anyone make something like this unless they wanted to make people think it was a bomb. Is arrested for making a bomb.

I hope the school district gets sued for every dollar they have. They obviously are not using the money to teach anyone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

They were probably being dumb and panicky because they feared a lawsuit from dumb and panicky parents when they found out that the school exposed their kids to Islamic terrorism.

Except they are still being dumb and panicky and arguing they were in the right and intend to possibly press charges

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:doh: God drat my county...

gently caress you Texas. Again.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 16, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Seriously, why wasn't there some detective who went "Guys, this is going to make us just look like inbred morons if we actually try to press the issue about what is very obviously a clock."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tigntink posted:

My mind still can't wrap around that they're seriously holding their little government meetings in the basement of a mexican restaurant.

While directly opposing the Mexicans, no doubt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

B
E
N
G
H
A
Z
I
!

Bingo!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shutup Dawkins. Shut. Up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

He's not even a real STEMlord like me. I am superior to this 14 year old child :smug: :smug: :smug:

He's such a whiney bridge burning rear end in a top hat. gently caress him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nocturtle posted:

VW's stock has dropped ~20% due to the US vehicle recall, potential for fines and class action suits:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-19/vw-clean-diesel-scheme-exposed-as-u-s-weighs-criminal-charges

This corresponds to ~$7 billion lost in market capitalization for reference. While this is great, I'm interested to see if this results in criminal charges. What's depressing is the defeat devices only came to light due to independent investigations by US university researchers and NGOs. The people who worked on the emissions control software at VW and their management must have known of the intent to illegally cheat emissions tests, but never went public with the information or contacted the EPA. Is the DOJ likely to take action? There is some pretty clear organizational complicity in a criminal enterprise.

Well, at least their ignition switches were not prone to spontaneous failure, I guess?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I love satire:

quote:

According to an aide familiar with the phone conversation between Walker and the Kochs, the industrialist brothers were “not amused” that the Governor had blown through millions of their dollars to become the choice of only one per cent of likely Republican voters.

“I’m not going to sugarcoat it,” the aide said. “The Kochs were pissed.”

After “tearing into Scott” for nearly thirty minutes, the Kochs reportedly demanded that Walker return their money “no later than midnight Friday.”

“B-but where am I going to come up with that kind of dough?” Walker asked.

“We don’t care how you get it, Scott,” the Kochs reportedly said. “Just get it.”

On that note, the aide said, the Kochs hung up the phone, leaving Governor Walker staring out into the middle distance.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/kochs-demand-walker-return-nine-hundred-million-dollars?mbid=social_facebook

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

goose fleet posted:

What the gently caress. :stare:

So what are the modern US policies for helping/treating the mentally ill? From what I understand they're completely inadequate, but is there anything in place at all? Is anyone proposing anything?

To be fair, most of those treatments were openly acknowledged as brutal and inhuman.

Thank goodness Reagan defunded the mental health system :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

goose fleet posted:

There are a lot of mentally ill homeless people on the streets of New York City. You also get them on the subways and buses. I'm really curious as to what's being done to help them, because I usually see the same ones on a daily or weekly basis and nothing really seems to be happening to their situation and I feel really sorry for them.

"Are there no prisons, no poor houses?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jagchosis posted:

I posted this in chat thread but

This kind of potential defendant, who is high profile, small time and utterly unsympathetic is like cocaine laced candy to agents and prosecutors. It will take a while but this guy is gonna get raked over the coals.

He also hacked and stalked his business rival and sent his wife and teenage son threatening emails.

http://usuncut.com/class-war/pharma-ceo-hacked-legal-rival-harassed-wife-teenage-son/

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/cli/memorandum/oca_memorandum_651104_2013_58.pdf

• Locked thread