Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Usopp
HP: 15/15 | debility: | Armor 1 | XP 0/7

Usopp hasn't actually explored glowing ruins before, but he does recall that during his tenure at the Royal Academy he was involved in correspondence with a Professor Roarke (Ms.) of Barsalvo who had studied some glowing rock very similar to the one on display here. She had even been kind enough to send Usopp a sample for careful analysis, but since his focus had always been more on surface artifacts his memory on the exact details was hazy.

Spouting Lore About the Glowing Rock: 2d6+2 9

So, on a roll of 9 you'll tell me something interesting about the glowing rock, and it's on me to make that useful. As for answering how I know this, I think I already did up there but if you like I can flesh it out even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp
HP: 15/15 | debility: | Armor 1 | XP 0/7

Usopp was working on a personal project of his with Bud-E under the deck (namely, he was breaking apart one of the surface artifacts, a device he had dubbed "An Apparatus for the Explicit Purpose of Burning Pieces of Bread") when he suddenly heard the the flapping of extremely large wings. "Uh oh, arcadian rocs. I better keep my head down," he thought just as one of Captain Gett's crew burst into the room without so much as a knock.

"Trouble above. Captain wants to see you immediately."

"Uh oh," Usopp thought, fully knowing that he was likely the reason for the sudden appearance of the huge birds. Regardless, he looked at Bud-E, saying "Come, we are needed," to which the little automaton responded with a frustrated whirring of gears before climbing into Usopp's rugsack.

Usopp struggled to get up deck due to the ship's constant swinging and swaying due to the ship's evasive maneuvers.

"Uh, Captain? You requested my presence?"

Upon being told that he was supposed to know how the creatures worked he thought out loud "Well, this is hardly my area of expertise, I'm more of an expert in technology and not zoology, but I guess one of my reference books might have something on these creatures."

Usopp dug up one of his catalogues of the strange and mysterious (Oddly enough, titled A Catalogue of Creatures Strange and Mysterious) and began turning its pages furiously.

Spouting Lore About Arcadian Rocs: 2d6+3 8

Once again I learn something interesting but not necessarily immediately useful. Also, because I burned one of the uses of my catalogue of the strange and mysterious (down to 4 uses now) you also get to tell me a detail I'd rather not have known. However, I can also declare a detail about the topic that now becomes true. I'll wait for you to give me my interesting fact as well as the thing I'd rather not have found out before supplying my own twist to it.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp
HP: 15/15 | debility: | Armor 1 | XP 1/8

First of all, the fact that I'm adding is the following: the Arcadian tech used to brand animals has one major design hitch, namely that it's extremely susceptible to cold. There's a reason why Arcadian rocs are only used during the hot season, because extremely cold temperatures have a way of shutting down the tech, making the animals regain their free will again. If only there was something very cold around...

"Oh crap, this is bad," Usopp says, mostly to himself as the dead roc's body plummets towards the Heaven.

"Captain! She's gonna blow!"

Usopp reacts instinctively, jumping towards the Captain ready to give him the extra push in order to change the Heaven's course so as to evade the falling roc.

Aiding Captain Gett: 2d6+1 5 But something goes horribly wrong. :v:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp

"Uh, sorry captain. I'll be out of your way now."

With one roc having just exploded next to the ship and another coming towards the ship, Usopp rummages through his trunk furiously. "Okay, something that I can use to quickly cool that exploding roc. Bud-E, give me a hand here."

When you take a few moments to dig through your collection for something useful, describe what you're looking for and what you want it to do. You can have potentially anything on hand, but the GM will tell you one to four of the following:
  • It is either consumable or faulty, and will only work once
  • It was not intended to be used for this
  • It will take a lot of time and effort to use properly
  • It won't work unless you _____
  • The curio's effects are incredibly specific
  • You get something close to what you want, but not quite
  • You'll need help from _____ to use it safely

Usopp is looking for something, whatever, that could make something cool quickly so he could cool down the roc before its mechanism explodes.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp

As Bud-E hands Usopp the device he inspects it quickly, says "That'll work," mostly to himself, and starts taking aim at the roc, suddenly wishing he hadn't spent all of his childhood reading books while the other kids his age were playing catch.

Volleying with the ice bomb: 2d6+0 7

Since I can't expend ammo and I'm not sure if dealing damage with the ice bomb makes sense in this situation, I'll put myself into danger.

Usopp finds himself not only having to adjust his aim a number of times, but as he feels the weight of the device in his hand he decides to run closer to the roc to make sure that he hits it.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

REDACTED

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 15, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

I have no idea what's going on with Usopp and Luka right now! So far, the Captain has sent crew to help them, Jerret has grabbed Usopp, and Usopp has fed Luka a device that will allow Luka to boost them all back onto the ship. We could let all of those things happen but it will result in a hilarious mess and also doesn't make a ton of narrative sense--why would Luka need a boost if Jerret is boosting them, and why would Jerret need to boost them if they're already being helped up by the crew? Before I respond, would you mind working out the order of events here and/or what's going on?

To clarify: there's some urgency here. The big wooden spur is coming up quick, quick enough that the Captain is going to have to do some fancy piloting (read: a roll) to get the ship past it, and said fancy piloting may make it more difficult for Usopp and Luka to maintain their grip or climb back on board. Gett, why don't you describe your piloting and make your roll, then we'll work out what's going on with the dangling duo.

Usopp, for the sake of expedience, the device Bud-E hands you to feed to Luka is a small canister with some sinister-looking writing on the side of it that you can't fully read, being that it's written in a dead language. Bud-E has indicated to you that it means something along the lines of "do not expose to flame" and that actually opening the canister after this much time would be... inadvisable.

Sorry, that's my bad: I completely forgot about Error404's post (I read it early this morning and I'd completely forgotten about it by the time I got back home to post), so I'll just revise my action.

Usopp

"Wait, what?! Feed them to you?! Are you crazy?! We don't even know what might happen if we do that..." Usopp shouts at Luka when suddenly Jerret suddenly appears to the rescue.

"Oh thank the gods, that won't be necessary," he sighs to himself as Jerret grabs a hold of him.

Given that we don't know the result of Jerret's Defy Danger roll yet, I'm willing to leave things as they are for now: Usopp will react once he knows what exactly went wrong with Jerret's rescue attempt. :v:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Nah, I'll save the bomb for later. I'm sure there will be another situation where making Luka go explodey will be relevant once again. Given the situation it wouldn't make much sense for Usopp to give Luka the bomb quite yet.

And even amidst all that confusion, now we at least know there is a bomb!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp
HP: 15/15 | debility: | Armor 1 | XP 2/8

Usopp rights himself, extremely confused. He looks around in search for his little clockwork friend who fell off somewhere during all that flying. Thankfully, he finds Bud-E entangled in a bunch of vines. Bud-E is still very disoriented. Poor little guy, all that excitement must have scrambled its gears something fierce. Usopp gives the little automaton a vigorous shake after which its gears start rotating again. It makes a grinding noise which Usopp has come to understand as some sort of clockwork curse word.

"Hey there, little guy. Glad to see you're still okay. Now, let's see, we're here, Jerret went that way, the Heaven is over there, and we're..." he mutters, when he suddenly notices the spider webs.

"Wow. Whatever made that must be huge!" Usopp says to himself. His curiosity gets the better of him and he climbs the vines to get closer to the web to inspect it.

I would figure that inspecting a giant spider web fulfills the putting myself at risk part of this move.

Curiosity
When you put yourself at risk to check something out, roll +INT.
On a 7+, ask the GM any one question related to the risks.
On a 10+, the GM will answer it, as clearly as the circumstances allow.
On a 7-9, the GM will tell you what more you need to do to find the answer yourself.

Curiosity kills the cat while inspecting spider webs: 2d6+2 5

I was going to ask, "How long until whatever made this comes back?" but I guess I'm going to find that out really soon now!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp
HP: 15/15 | debility: | Armor 1 | XP 3/8

At first Usopp doesn't even notice the spider. As his arm gets stuck to the net he curses under his breath. "Oh, great. This is just great. Terrific." That's when he notices the big spider. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to have noticed him yet.

Okay, big spider above me, throwing a net, okay, no time for that now, gotta get away from the big bad spider before it eats me.

Usopp pulls at the web, doing his best to disentangle himself from it through sheer force, something which he is extremely lacking in.

Defying Danger (the web) with Strength: 2d6-1 5

But in his struggle he only manages to entangle himself even more tightly in the webbing.

"Uh, Bud-E? A little help here? I think there might be something in my trunk that I can use to cut myself out of this. But do it very quietly, I don't want that big spider to notice me..." he whispers.

The spider has noticed me, hasn't it?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp
HP: 9/15 | debility: | Armor 1 | XP 3/8

Professor Usopp had just a moment to consider his options after he'd gotten himself tangled in the webs when Cy suddenly appeared before him. As Cy asked him about his state and condition the Professor barely had time to open his mouth when the sudden commotion sent him swinging against a vine, and then right towards Cy.

Does screaming at the top of my lungs while I swing at my companion while entangled in a giant spider's web trigger some move? Because if so, that's totally what I'm doing.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp

"Okay, this is unfortunate," Professor Usopp says as he starts drifting down entangled in the webs. "I wish I could find a good updraft... hey, wait a minute."

"Bud-E, can you get into my trunk? I think it's stuck to my back. You should be able to find the Device For Rapidly Producing Drafts of Air. Give it a spin, okay?"

Using Keeper of Curios to basically look for a fan so I can give myself a nice updraft and float back up.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp

"Uh... it's a lot smaller than I remembered, but it'll do. Thanks Bud-E," Usopp says to Bud-E, who is whirring enthusiastically, a certain spin of pride in its gears.

The Professor starts turning the hand crank as fast as he can to produce the slightest little updraft. In mere moments, he and Bud-E are soaring very slowly upwards.

If there's a thing I need to roll, let me know and I'll edit my post.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Right, given that I'm thinking there definitely is something I need to roll. What's the move for finding out whether a makeshift handheld fan can support the weight of me, Bud-E, my collection and Jerret and his armor?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

That's a toughie. Maybe go with a Defy Danger with INT? Like, you're rolling to see if this device was put together cleverly enough to support both of your weights. Granted, Bud-E put it together in the fiction I wrote, but that was a bit arbitrary, so you can go ahead and use your own INT instead of Bud-E's non-existent stats.

Once you roll that I'll write up a full GM post.

Usopp

"Oh, hello Mr. Roarke. Nice of you to drop by. Now, if you'll excuse me, the only thing keeping us aloft is this handheld fan Bud-E just made. I'm pretty sure it'll hold," Usopp says. Sola, please let it hold.

Defy Danger (INT): 2d6+2 9

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 7, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp

Arashiofordo3 posted:

"How did you enjoy your first flight Professor? A pleasant trip I hope?"
"Oh, it was something alright. Truth be told, I'd rather keep my feet firmly planted on something solid from now on. Now, if you'll excuse me," he says, falls on his knees and spews his guts out into the darkness beneath them. Apparently all the spinning and flying really took to him.

Usopp weakly climbs the rope up back on to the ship, and immediately finds the captain. "Captain, glad to see you in one piece as well. So, what do you make of this glowing stuff ahead of us? Is this what the kraa sent us to look for?"

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

"Chief Usopp, if you would be so good as to find an alternative way of powering our engines, I would be indebted to you. I fear our faffing about in here with that giant spider has drained our fuel cells. If we're going to escape this borehole, let alone explore whatever is out there, then we're going to need the power to maneuver and fight."

"Aye aye, sir," Usopp said, saluting clumsily, only to disappear quickly into the engine room.

"Alright, Bud-E, you heard the captain. We need to find an alternate way to power the engine until they... er, fix whatever happened to it. What the hell happened to it?"

"Anyway, never mind that. What have we got that, when burnt, would provide enough energy to power an engine? No, Bud-E, put the bomb back, we've talked about this, I'm sure there's no need to resort to that..."

Usopp dives into his collection in silence, looking for something to power the engines with...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

My original plan was to run to Jerret with my magnifying glass in tow, being all like "With this and your suit we can jump start the engine," but since he's gone ahead with the plan without my help and me aiding him can't get his roll to 10+ I'm imagining Usopp running to the engine room just in time to witness Jerret already powering up the engine with his suit, going "Okay, or I guess we could do that," and suffering the consequences of Jerret's roll.

• Locked thread