Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
I ended up deciding that having yet one more 40-some horsepower car that I don't have a parking space for was a stupid-rear end idea, and as far as I know my friend stull has it if I ever change my mind.

Still might help him fix it up, but right now I'm looking at early-2000s TDI beetles so I can have something to properly Wasteland up and still have the torque to pull my teardrop/toyhauler.

edit: would this be the right place for a thread about building an ultralight teardrop/toyhauler out of Craigslist garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes, continue

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Nate Falls posted:

edit: would this be the right place for a thread about building an ultralight teardrop/toyhauler out of Craigslist garbage?

:frogon:

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
The setup is thus: I have a 4x8 Harbor Freight folding trailer.

What I need is 1) a thing to camp in, and 2) a trailer that's still usable for trailering my #Jetskeeter/adventure bike/scooters and poo poo. Be nice if I can still take it down and fold it so I can store it in my folks' backyard, but if that makes it way too complicated, then gently caress it. And it's gotta be light enough that my poor 48hp diesel VW can pull it.

And I live in Los Angeles, where people give away all manner of building materials constantly, and I'm not on a strict timeline, so that's where we're at.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Serious post, have you heard of the 'foamie' campers? The shell is build from XPS insulation foam (glued together with Gorilla glue) and covered in canvas (glued on with titebond 2 and painted over). They're seriously light and cheap and I've watched build logs where people have a waterproof shell in 48 hours.

Make it as a bare shell rather than with a built in galley and you can use it to haul toys or quickly bolt/unbolt it from the trailer when you need.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That, or you could build a plywood teardrop camper that unbolts from and lifts off the trailer, probably hang it from a garage ceiling with tow straps when not in use. the HF 4x8 is standard issue for beginner teardrop builders, plans are everywhere

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

https://www.tnttt.com has everything you need

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
...except a secure connection.

E: Firefox doesn't like it, Chrome don't mind.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 3, 2016

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'd look for an outdoor pop up tent in that size and just make some sort of platform you can slide under it

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
That sounds way too reasonable, man.

Right now my trailer's up at my motorcycle shop's yard in magical California City, surrounded by all kinds of weird scrap and redneck post-apoc engineering like the Monstr Carlo:

(that's a younger me on the second motorbike from the left)

My bike guy is taking my bone stock backup Honda Metropolitan scooter and stripping/shortening it by 2ish feet so I can park it sideways in my truck bed as an emergency backup vehicle, and also for kicks, will post pics as soon as we've gotten some work done on that too. Inspiration for that is the legendary/weird af Honda Motocompo:

...except mine is gonna be ugly as gently caress and maybe a hardtail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Motocompo looks like a lot of fun although I'd probably wear more gear than this, even to the apocalypse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THpYOCyvdAU

• Locked thread