Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
This LP reminded me that I actually have Old Blood and haven't played it. Must get to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but the Skyrim helmet isn't the only reference yet:

Just started playing today and noticed it on the vending machines past the telephone speaking Nazi in the wire-car-whatever-thing station.

I was sure that Graben Freunde meant "grave/coffin friends"

I just like this "trains on time" poster.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That joke is so good, they used it in both games. Literal grammar Nazis, ho-ho!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The game is a little too happy with floor breaks, BJ falls.

Of course, that's not even to close to CoD Ghosts falling-as-transition.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

...and they still took the world for a six year ride.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

JcDent
May 13, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

That and he actually didn't get dethroned. You don't want the unsavory truths about your allies leak out; and then the Iron Curtain hit the stage and suddenly all the information was filtered and he had half of Europe for a playground.
That being said, yeah, Stalin was easily the biggest mass murderer of the 20th century.

What about Mao? Or were his incidental more than purposeful?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I don't know, but now I get this picture of Mao, Stalin and Hitler sitting in a vat of boiling oil, being prodded by tiny pitchforks and comparing kill counts.

Extremely surprised, since all of them were atheists of some caliber, and extremely pissed at each other for obvious reasons. Hitler would probably love Mao vs. Stalin communist-off, tho.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TomViolence posted:

I dunno if Hitler can be characterised as atheist. I'm pretty sure he was catholic, though I dunno if he was still a practicing one by the time of the war. Stalin actually trained to be an orthodox priest, and was even soft on the church in Georgia, allegedly because his mother was devout. China wasn't exactly a hotbed of theistic religion, so yeah, Mao probably counts. It's not really important, though, as their ideologies (not mention personality cults) easily inspired such fervence in themselves and others that they could be considered religions in their own right.

Well, my view on Dolphie H. might have been somewhat influenced by this one website that claims to be an unbiased wiki on Islam, honest while their section on "non-Islamic people on Islam" only features any praise if it's done by such humanitarian luminaries like A.H.
The quote there goes to state that Christianity is too removed from bodily reward, unlike Muslims and their 72 virgins, etc. etc. etc.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pol Pot, then.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

That's not even going into whether taking Moscow would have ended the war, or if the German army could even have done so in 1941. One does not take a city of millions in a couple of days.

Well, their original plan was what, to reach the urals and peace out? Well, if they only had...

And that's the problem with mil hist, I guess. If only the Great Powers had learned from their colonial adventures that MGs trump elan...
If only the British commissary wasn't a privatized mess in the Crimean
Etc.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

And I had just made screenshots of that part, and now I'm away from my "gaming" laptop, darn.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Rudy wipes with money! Possibly counterfeit money, since the only 20 mark notes I found have a lady on them.

Helga uses TP and read secure Wolfenstein documentation.

By the way, the 1928 Bordeaux she was writing about is a great wine, but maybe not as good as 1929 and might have been undrinkable in 1946

Yeah, I tried looking if that was actual WWII German food packaging.

Actually, the grenade is about 600 grams, and the helmet is between 800 and more.

And yeah, Allies would have been much more successful with their black magic research, since they wouldn't have BJ zeroing in on them to stab everyone dead.

So, by by our reckoning, both RCTW and Wolfenstein happened, so what's the canon status of robo hitler at this point?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Neruz posted:

I believe we must assume that Robo-Hitler did indeed happen and that BJ ended him.

Presumably we can thank Deathshead for Robo-Hitler.

But what about the article mentioning Furer? It is AH's headless body going around, making claims?

Well, the way stories go, any Allied supernatural efforts would be carried out by heroic Indiana Jones types and the only casualties would be some unlucky local carriers and stuff.

I like to imagine BJ as some sort satellite deployed weapon with a passive radar that's set on two bands: Nazi Super Science and Nazi Paranormal Activity.

When either of those exceeds their threshold, BJ wakes up, his open eyes the only white dots in the darkness of the sattelite.

Then he plunges to Earth and kills till NSS/NPA levels are returned to normal.

He's like an Allied Tarrasque that way.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

gschmidl posted:

So Bioshock Infinite but good instead of terrible?

Well, Wolfenstein combat is already more faithful to System Shock than Infinite was :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Wyatt isn't boring. He's a good and fun guy.

He's just up against one of the best NPCs in gaming.

Wyatt's Invisible War to Fergus' Deus Ex.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

A pale imitation of BJ, a dreadlocked guy with a metal arm and something I'm too young/unamerican to know about, respectively?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah but we can assume Nazis are idiots that don't phrase incantations well.

Well enough for 50 million dead worlwide, if mundane experience is anything to go by.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

BJ only has three skills now: killing Nazis, killing Nazi supermagicscience things (might be a subset of killing Nazis) and guitar. Would he be able to find work post war? What if his skillset does not translate well to kill communists?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So, basically, Anna should play identical as BJ, but maybe more sadistic? That's basically pronoun switching.

They could make Medal of Wolfenstein: The Resistance, everyone fondly remembers that game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

OK, who's ruling the rest?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

No, he doesn't.

Subdermal ablative armor

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The game definitely isn't bleak. Its a little on the grey side, but, come on, you're blasting your way through Nazi bases, of course there's going to be some grey involved.

The concentration camp was something, but otherwise, it's a pretty smooth ride. BJ's jokes are great, guard talk is great, the effort put into everything is great.

'course, that can just be me being an emotionally stunted rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: it's totally that. I actually felt pity for Rudi during the execution, and I somewhat agreed with my girlfriend that the game is extremely violent.

I had a similar disgusted reaction with the first kill in Infinite. Sure, you just killed a police officer by ripping his throat out with a hook, but he's probably racist so that's OK. Sure, game, whatever.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 27, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Neruz posted:

Especially since. You know. None of this is real. You're not actually executing a human being.

Is it the goon argument that people shouldn't get immersed or worked up about video or any sort games again?

DeusExMachinima posted:

He was trying to imprison and/or kill me for exceptionally lovely reasons. I didn't dwell on the scene and I don't think I'm especially hardcore.

Hey, many people can find issues with cops trying to arrest them for any reason.

It's just like it sometimes pulls a string. Ripping spines out in Darkness 2 was extremely fun (and going through the brothel wasn't, so cudos to the devs), ripping folks apart in Wolverine: The One Movie Game Better Than Actual Movie: Origins was fun and closer to the Space Marine experience than actual Space Marine game. Killing that cop and Rudi somehow wasn't, even though I've already gone through all of the Nazis in TNO and all of the slavers AND slaves in Infinite.

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm as desensitized to violence as anygoon, but I had the exact same reaction. Still haven't played Infinite because of it. No I don't care how deep or good the game is, I don't want to watch "my" hands tear out that many throats.

You didn't miss much. Infinite is like Call of Duty (Ghosts or one of the other bad ones) set in extremely pretty levels with a Riley so full of extradimensional powers that the only gameplay effect is summoning turrets and health potions in pre selected places.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Neruz posted:

This is your internal 'suspension of disbelief' at work; the Rudi scene hits you because at a basic instinctual level you believe he exists as a real human being. Other scenes do not because you recognize the fiction and thus cannot become emotionally invested in it. It's all about whether the many collected parts of your mind that are not your consciousness believe it is real, or that it is not real. The actual reality of the situation is meaningless; but whether you believe it or not on an instinctual level changes everything.

And I don't even like dogs :(

Or Nazis!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Neruz posted:

That is because when you actually start thinking about the way real human beings became Nazis you get really depressed.

Only took them losing the greatest war of all time and having humiliating sanctions imposed at the time when Germany was getting to be a great power, and then economy getting tanked by a great financial crisis to turn on somewhat isolated group that Europe had a history of abusing and on a political movement that had just sunk one other powers into years of bloodshed.

I have a harder time understanding how you become one of the Khmer Rouge and start cutting off thumbs of your own people because literacy is counter-revolutionary.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Neruz posted:

Yeah that's the really depressing part; once you realize the circumstances it is completely understandable and you can immediately see exactly how everything became horrible and was never going to go any other way.

The most depressing part about the Nazis is that at the end of the day they were people just like any other people, they weren't monsters, just men with very good costumes. And that is sooooo much worse.

P. Sure that one guy guy that in putting down Warsaw uprising was a monster. I keep forgetting the name, though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SIGSEGV posted:

Oscar Dirlewanger? So evil even the SS condemned and then convicted him for war crimes and inhuman behaviour. Hitler would have none of that noise however.

Yep. Even managed to get "wang" in his name, too.

Lynneth posted:

You gotta look good before you put millions down for things they have little to no influence over, nevermind ruining an entire style of dressing yourself in the process for future generations. :smith:

And square mustache.

Incidentally, what mode of dress did Nazis specifically ruined? Jackboots and pilot pants?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

RickVoid posted:

France and Russia have Neo-Nazis. For fucks sake.
Poland has Neo-Nazis that think they are Anti-Neo-Nazis but are just as awful.

I love how Russia uses fascism as their one true trump card when dealing with their own people and propaganda.

Their nazis are accurate, however, since they don't look like the apex of white blonde blue eyed giants, either. :nws: :nws: :nws: Not the loving least

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Found the perfect antagonist for the next game

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It was good comedic timing, though a shotgun barrel cut that way would have crap accuracy. On the other hand, who cares about that when you have zombies right in front of you?

And yes, I had the same Annette question too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, if she's a lesbian, at least they didn't telegraph even before the game's launch *cough* Assassin's Creed: Unity *cough*
Maybe they are just super best friends, but we've become jaded with developers reaching for the low hanging fruit.

Best gay character was in Phantasmagoria II, anyways.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

What, can you only fit so many different races in a game because of all the griffins and fantasy monsters? If it's fantasy, what exactly is stopping you from saying 'and the races interacted a lot here'?

Why couldn't Jade Empire have more white characters? Why does it have dragons and inscrutable engines, but not white characters?

FoolyCharged posted:

Well if the wolfenstein guys wanted us on track maybe they could have given us a train level :colbert:

I guess I should try and trust Machine Games more. They aren't the ones to make Thor's Super Special All Race Inclusive Buddy Squad or 90's Hip Inclusive Urban Ghost Busters or BioWare's All Our Gay Chards Have Dead SOs Ain't That Lyrical, which is a cheap way to get variety browny points. Machine Games put in legit effort to make everything full and worthwhile, and they already had that one sad lesbian in the concentration camp, and maybe Annette really has a super best friend like I never had.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

radintorov posted:

And the game does show such violent interaction anyway with the southern Nilfgaardian Empire waging a war of conquest and whom I believe is inspired mainly by the Persian Empire with a smidge of Roman Empire as well, which should technically count?

E: back on the actual game, do stealth-headshots prevent enemy nazis from turning into zombies, or is there no way of predicting it during stealth sections?

Peeestol headshots? No, since they don't make heads pop.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I just finished this game now. I haven't actually played much of The New Order, but I liked this.

I didn't actually realize that when dual-wielding, you need to use BOTH mouse buttons until the final boss fight, when I ran out of ammo for my left gun, but still had some for the right gun. Oh well, I still managed to win on my first try (although barely).

Rub it in our face, why don't you.

George posted:

This is cogent enough, but people literally find dwarves and elves more believable than black people. That's simply incredible.

Witcher-humans are super racist against dorfs and elvess, to the point where SPOILERS GOD drat IT Geralt died while protecting them during one of the many progroms when stabbed by a peasant. He got better and since there's apparently plane hopping in Witcher, one realm has a mountain of human skulls, since elves preemptivelly killed all humans. Having it more Medieval makes Witcher world stand out from all the Faeruns and Fereldans, just like Jade Empire, being based on Medieval-ish China, only has one dude, since they're kind of exotic and cooky. Never felt like that game needed more diversity: Chinese peasants, Chinese ghosts, Chinese bureaucracy, it all creates a world that is totally different and awesome.

Then you transform into a giant clay robot and kill everything.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Not to mention the single white dude in that game is voice by John Motherfucking Cleese. It's probably the most underappreciated Bioware game.

Alpha Protocol of BioWare games.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The thing that I like about the Lageroboten (the early version of Mr. Fist which supposedly didn't need souls to power it) is that zombies can climb the front and you need to shoot them. It's a little bit of neat interaction with the inside of the bot which reinforces the idea that you're riding inside a robot (instead of melding with the machine like in, say, Battlefield) and few games do that. Titanfall has really nice Titan entry and exit animations. If only that game wasn't Call Of Duty But With Giant Bots

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Gears of War is so dreary. Phoenix is always gritting teeth while not saying much while the Space American Football is the only player has any sort of color, "Nobody can stop the Coal/Coletrain!"

Fire Warrior looks full of character and color in comparison to Gears of War, and GoW inexplicably shat up the whole Third Person Shooter genre. Damnation and Deep Black Reloaded comes to mind.

Oh God, gently caress Deep Black Reloaded.

If you want vaguely GoW-ish characters feeling cool, you want Bulletstorm.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Eh, he knows how to relax. Alas, poor Yorick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

And this is realizing that Bulletstorm is a parody. Yup, shooter writing is that good. Shadow Warrior 2013 actually does the comedy badass routine pretty well too.
But good luck finding a decent serious shooter out there.

He does slice up bitches even before demon katana shenanigans, so you know, he's legit.

I didn't realize Bulletstorm is a parody. It was just a fun game with a main character that could have been happier (I like happy chars) and the reaver planet from Firefly

• Locked thread