Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Q - Who is Kaptain Ballistik?

An AI goon living the ultimate AI experience of competing against the worlds best drivers at Coffs Harbour.

Q - Whats the WRC?

World Rally Championship, where the worlds best drivers compete against each other at Coffs Harbour in cars that shouldnt go that fast on gravel roads in between forests, drop bears, weed plantations and idiot spectactors

Q - When?

11 - 13 September

Q - What in?

A 200? Subaru RS... Ummm.... WRX... Umm.... STI... Ummm..... Spec C .... Some complete mongrel of a car that has had more replacement parts and upgrades than granny's hips. Currently called a 2006 GDE WRX STI Specification C WRC3 Production World Rally Car. Features a 33mm restrictor that chokes the poo poo out of the VF36 turbo and 2 litre Spec C engine, but also lights up for 550Nm of torque at 3500 RPM. Also features Specification C driveline with Possum Motorsport diff controllers and diffs, 2006 WRX brakes, MCAQ suspension, Alliance Motorsport cage and weighs in at an incredibly loving fat 1520 kgs ready to rally.

http://www.rallyaustralia.com.au/spectator-overview/

http://www.rallyaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Rally-Australia-2015-WRC-Entry-List-v2.pdf
!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIVE TRACKING IS NOW ONLINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://app.rallysafe.com.au/Event/PublicView/1149

You are following car 79

Q. Claims to fame?

Had the unique distinction of being hauled before stewards TWICE in 2013, not being last car in 2015

Q. Is there live tracking?

Will be posted when available

Q. Social media?

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kaptainballistik/20858953722

Q. Will he win / do well?

No. Probably wont finish. But who cares, it's an AI Goon at the WRC.

Done - Initial documentation
Today - Recce, car is being transported to Coffs Harbour, a small green budgie is getting ready to set up a booby trapped alarm clock

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Hell yes.

To put this in comparison, this poo poo is like a full blown 24 hour time race compared to my thread which is autocross :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Recce of stage one is at present stalled due to a milktruck on the road.

MOOECOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Recce of stage one is at present stalled due to a milktruck on the road.

MOOECOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING
*One section of stage mysteriously perfectly levelled, graded and tarmaced overnight*

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
when you get to a jump remember to kick it in the loving guts

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i for one am excited to see if he rolls and if so how many times

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tow car and rally car is now on it's way to Coffs Harbour. Budgie last seen pretending to not hitch a ride

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Car spotted in service park!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KB just sent me a pic of why the recce was held up. It was indeed a milk truck..... but it kinda met something that no one wants to talk about.

Mads Ostberg on reccee hit milk truck head on, there is a fair bit of dispute what happened and how fast he was going - or even if he was on the correct side of the road

http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/news/coffs-coast-roads-still-challenge-drivers/2768275/#/0

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Well, recce is pronounced "wreck-y," right?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i wanna get the vw drivers' autographs :ohdear:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Knocked back for fuel lines on the wrong side of the cage. Presently doing a fix.

(As per usual half the cars are also knocked back for other BS reasons, plenty of crews doing work. Coffs scrutineers are basically cunts)

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Knocked back for fuel lines on the wrong side of the cage. Presently doing a fix.

(As per usual half the cars are also knocked back for other BS reasons, plenty of crews doing work. Coffs scrutineers are basically cunts)

This was an issue this summer for another one of the teams.

Most Subaru cages out here have the fuel lines run on the outside of the bars. I have three logbook entries for full rallies and soon to be two sprint entries with the fuel lines on the outside.

The same scrutineer checked my friends car who has the lines in the same position got told told he had to move the lines because "reasons". (The reasons were his association with another team who's co-driver can't shut his drat mouth during tech.) He protested and they let it through.

I think fuel lines should be moved inside of the cage and will be relocating mine before next years season. In my off that heavily damaged the left side of the car, the fuel lines were not touched. Still better to be safe than sorry I think. It is a gray area (even in my sanctioning bodies rule book there is nothing on it) that is one of those "well it probably should be done because it makes sense" kind of a thing, but I'm not sure its a 100% show stopper and have raced with it outside.

I have made sure to develop a good relationship with our scrutineer regional dude and dudette so that whenever they see my car or see me teching someone else's car, there are always ZERO issues and they know I am willing to play ball and work with them. Make their life easier makes my life easier :)

The same guy complained about my FIA approved backing plates for my belt eye bolts. I anticipated it was an issue and when I log booked the car, I had the FIA paperwork for the backing plates AND a letter for the sanctioning bodies head saying "yes we have used those and they are fine." Paperwork management is something I take very serious just to make life easier. I have one of these in the car that has the logbook, rule book, insurance, reg, belt, seat, backing plate, hans, etc etc etc paperwork so if there are any questions we can roll out a documentation show of force to clean up any issues:

Don't mean to over run KB or CT and be all "you should do this or that", just trying to provide insight for what I've dealt with over here in case you want to steal ideas or if someone else is building a car someday, hopefully they can avoid the drama we've all had to deal with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The issue is that the yes the rules are not clear AND this car has been passed many times exactly as it was - more over the log book issue date is what you go on with what year certain rules have to be obeyed and THAT is quite clear no one gave a poo poo where the fuel / brake lines were routed. The car is logbooked 2004, it needs to obey 2004 roll cage and general safety rules, NOT 2015. I might also point out the car was passed by the same cunts in 2013 and 2014.

The other issue is the Coffs scrutineers are just plain cunts and I don't say that lightly about officials - the Coffs scrutineers are notoriously hosed in the head for being petty stupid pricks. They knock back cars for not having the exact size name lettering (Seriously 98mm vs 100mm names. FFS) and this year they knocked back any number of race suits for "incorect sewing of sponsor patches" as well as a number of cars for equally petty stupid non performance and non safety interpretation of the rule book stupidity. This is a local issue rather than the FIA's scrutineers - those guys are chillax and fine with a lot of poo poo the Coffs local guys gently caress you over with. They need to withdraw the Coffs acceditation for being fuckwits.

Car was remediated in a 5 man epic evening, passed and is now on it's way to shakedown.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Correction - is at Shakedown / ARC Powerstage. Whatever the gently caress a Powerstage is

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Correction - is at Shakedown / ARC Powerstage. Whatever the gently caress a Powerstage is

it's a short stage worth three championship points for first, two points for second, and one point for third

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

deep impact on vhs posted:

it's a short stage worth three championship points for first, two points for second, and one point for third

Actually I know, it was taking a shot at how hosed up the ARC actually is :)

LIVE TIMING!!!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Actually I know, it was taking a shot at how hosed up the ARC actually is :)

LIVE TIMING!!!

hhhhhhh i'm loving dumb sorry

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

deep impact on vhs posted:

hhhhhhh i'm loving dumb sorry

The ARC is truly hosed up with some of it's stupidity. It literally introduces dumb thought bubble ideas every month or so for *reasons*, like the Powerstage which is supposed to introduce a "narrative" or excitement or something for TV, whatever it is the flip chart says it's for today. As part of this stupidity, KB had a panic just before the car was due to leave because he had to mount a THIRD camera facing the driver and co-driver. So right now due to the regulations of the Powerstage he must have three cameras (one GoPro in the hood scoop, another Sony on the rollcage and also the crew facing camera). I believe at least one of the cameras also are required to take power from the car rather than internal battery.

Oh and then you then are required to hand over footage at whim and also (as it turns out this part is illegal under copyright law) not have rights to it. Which a copyright lawyer will have a complete field day with.

These numbnuts dont think and dont care.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The ARC is truly hosed up with some of it's stupidity. It literally introduces dumb thought bubble ideas every month or so for *reasons*, like the Powerstage which is supposed to introduce a "narrative" or excitement or something for TV, whatever it is the flip chart says it's for today. As part of this stupidity, KB had a panic just before the car was due to leave because he had to mount a THIRD camera facing the driver and co-driver. So right now due to the regulations of the Powerstage he must have three cameras (one GoPro in the hood scoop, another Sony on the rollcage and also the crew facing camera). I believe at least one of the cameras also are required to take power from the car rather than internal battery.

Oh and then you then are required to hand over footage at whim and also (as it turns out this part is illegal under copyright law) not have rights to it. Which a copyright lawyer will have a complete field day with.

These numbnuts dont think and dont care.

that sounds incredibly loving stupid from start to finish, :wtc:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Stage 1 down, not last!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Stage 2 - still not last.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Lunch break - Still not last. Not driving all that well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Finish Day 1 - 21st. Nowhere near last.

New claim to fame - saying the word "gently caress" on live rally TV/ Radio. (Describing the dust - "What? It's just loving fog with dirt in it, whats the problem?")

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll yesssssssssssssssssssss

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've been following on the little transponder thing. It's surprisingly tense watching the speed go from like 130 approaching a corner down to 40 then 30 then 20 then oh god oh god oh god wait 50 60 70 80 YES HE MADE IT.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've been following on the little transponder thing. It's surprisingly tense watching the speed go from like 130 approaching a corner down to 40 then 30 then 20 then oh god oh god oh god wait 50 60 70 80 YES HE MADE IT.

Rallysafe is a brilliant idea and I would switch sanctioning bodies and incur extra costs for it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KB's day has been made. Liked by a WRC driver.

On the way to the 50km Nambucca stage. Gonna be a real test of the car this time.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
That frikkin' webpage updates so irregularly for me I never know if he's actually moving along the course or if he's died.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sigma X posted:

That frikkin' webpage updates so irregularly for me I never know if he's actually moving along the course or if he's died.

Wonder if that pause I just saw was a splash and dash? Seems to have stopped for about 7 minutes for some reason.

It's patchy as hell on the updates right now. Yesterday was much smoother

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like he left part of a mirror behind on the last stage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh and I have an explaination why he went off the course and arrived late at SS10

He will be visiting the Stewards. Reason will be revealed after the visit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh and I have an explaination why he went off the course and arrived late at SS10

He will be visiting the Stewards. Reason will be revealed after the visit.

:ohdear: I hope the stewards aren't mean to him.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://soundcloud.com/dwayne-affleck/voice-001-m4a?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

:ohdear: I hope the stewards aren't mean to him.

SAFE

He wore the wrong underpants on stage 9 (Not FIA approved). Even WRC Radio got in on it with a big discussion about someone being a bad boy running around with no underwear.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 12, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

"A lump of a Subaru"

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

SAFE

He wore the wrong underpants on stage 9 (Not FIA approved). Even WRC Radio got in on it with a big discussion about someone being a bad boy running around with no underwear.

I want to believe this is a joke, but I don't think it is. But in that case... it's a joke.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

SAFE

That's...incredible. :laffo:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
How is the car such a heavy pig? That's about the same weight as a bone stock car. Is it just that overbuilt?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

SAFE

You don't wanna burn your dick off in a car fire.

I wear SFI-rated boxers to bed. Just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Please tell me his response to the stewards was "Me balls don't fit in 'em".

• Locked thread