Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
My parents were always on the 'fundamentalist Christian' side of things, but it got weirder as my sister and I got older. I'm more interested in sharing the right-now, non-theological weirdness than "I grew up in a cult" sort of thing. It... wasn't really much of a cult, just weird. My father is a pastor, for a somewhat Southern-Baptist-y denomination that you may not know by name, and my mother follows in his wake on theological matters. I grew up in a household where it was an accepted fact of life that I probably wouldn't live to see college because the world was going to end any day now, where it was a given that the only people against strip-mining are wacko environmentalists, where homosexuality is a choice made to spite God and for no other reason, and liberalism is a lie concocted by nihilists to fool the masses into accepting their own demise.

Growing up, I was only allowed to listen to classical and Christian music. I was sent to Christian schools whenever possible (including one that put me in ACE for a couple years), we moved around a fair bit and otherwise kept very insular. I was banned from playing Pokemon games because Pokemon were demonically inspired, among dozens of similar restrictions. I was encouraged to read "The Virtue of Selfishness" and "The Road to Serfdom", but fantasy was (intermittently) banned for suggesting there was more than one God and magic was acceptable, because, to us, magic drat well was real and always evil. My mom still occasionally talks about how Hillary Clinton was channeling spirits in the White House during th 90's. I once worked myself into a panic because I saw a red moon and, well, Revelation talks about how the moon turning to blood was going to herald the end of all things.

It was pretty much expected that my sister and I would both find good careers, then marry a godly person of the opposite sex, and settle down to raise the next generation to do the same, until the inevitable End Times completely ended the world. It's like the last two minutes of a football game when the outcome is still in doubt: it's going to end very soon, but you still strive hard and don't lounge complacently around, because the points are still accruing and are going to be important after this.

Naturally, my sister and I are openly out as asexual and bisexual, respectively, neither of us are proper conservatives or Christians in my parents' definitions, and neither of us have any real interest in marrying the opposite sex and having grandkids. My parents haven't dealt with this well.

I spent a couple years on my own, before moving back into my parents' house to save money to finish my degree. Sometime in those years, though, my parents went off the deep end. I'm currently sleeping in my sister's old room, because there's no room in my old room. No, it was turned into what's been called an "outdoors room", where my parents totally keep just things they're saving for their camping trips and nothing else. It's certainly not a huge block of food supplies to keep yourself fed after the apocalypse.

There's only just room to even open the door. I'm going to show a few shots of the room at large, and hope you can get a feel for it.

Behind every blanket you see, there's bookcases and shelves filled with beans, rice, sugar, flour, lentils... I'm honestly not sure what all else. Soap, toothpaste, a compass, water purifiers, flashlights, and coffee are also present, in smaller amounts.

And big ol' buckets filled with more supplies for the end of the world.

Did you think they forgot the space under the bed? Nope, more supplies there!

And behind the bed!

They do their own canning, sometimes. It's mostly for practice. My dad is trying to figure out how to grow fruits and vegetables, but birds keep eating everything before he can get edible results.

And a scary-looking if currently unsharpened knife that's definitely not just for kitchen work. The guns (of course we have more guns than we have family members) are kept in another room. Since I have no desire for a gun, I was offered a crossbow instead for my latest birthday.

It's supposed to be something of a secret to people who know my parents, but their gameplan right now is that they've bought some land well away from everywhere, where there's no water or electricity service, and they'll grow their own food and have their own well dug while they wait to be proved right and the world to end due to a combination of prophecy, liberalism, Islam, Iran nukes and the national debt. It's intentionally heading that way, after all; as my mom says every week: "Obama hates America! He hates it!" So far, though, they only have the land and no well.

It's not a wildly unheard of story, but I hope the prepperism side of things, at least, is new and interesting to some. I'd be happy to answer anything about the prepper side of things, my childhood, or the theology/politics that inspired it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing your parents are huge huge fans of Fox News. What pundits in particular do they seem to really like? Are they like, rabid fans of any particular one or do they just nod to a gaggle of talking heads?

Also, how do they feel about news/information sources outside of their little shell of crazy?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Seems prudent. Benghazi is just a precursor for what we're going to see in Obama's third term.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

do they actually know how to do anything like live outdoors for more than a couple nights or are they just buying poo poo by the pallet?

I'm guessing by the 'can't even grow a basic vegetable garden' thing that preparing for the collapse of civilization is entirely a shopping spree thing for them, growing up did they ever like express a plan for what they (or you) were gonna do when the seas turn to wormwood or was it something they exclusively mentioned when finding an excuse to buy more guns and lovely real estate

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 8, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'm guessing your parents are huge huge fans of Fox News. What pundits in particular do they seem to really like? Are they like, rabid fans of any particular one or do they just nod to a gaggle of talking heads?

Also, how do they feel about news/information sources outside of their little shell of crazy?

Liberals. Literally the answer to almost all of this is that it's liberals. News outside their desired sources is liberals. Fox News is liberals--my dad likes to quote something about how 90% of the media are actually Democrats, including Fox News, so it's all liberal bias, including Fox. Their favorite source of news is a weekly editorial paper called the "Conservative Chronicle", which features luminaries such as Ann Coulter, Thomas Sowell, Phyllis Schlafly, Dick Morris and more of those stripes. Also it's literally editorials, not news reporting. This is considered centrist to possibly unbiased.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

do they actually know how to do anything like live outdoors for more than a couple nights or are they just buying poo poo by the pallet?

I'm guessing by the 'can't even grow a basic vegetable garden' thing that preparing for the collapse of civilization is entirely a shopping spree thing for them, growing up did they ever like express a plan for what they (or you) were gonna do when the seas turn to wormwood or was it something they exclusively mentioned when finding an excuse to buy more guns and lovely real estate

They've gone on camping trips for periods of two weeks, maybe a little longer if they did something while I wasn't living with them. They're planning to hike the Appalachian Trail at some point. They can live outdoors for a while... as long as they drag along the supplies from civilization. They're not even close to subsistence, although when I was younger we had a very basic vegetable garden that worked okay for a bit.

And, no, the plan until I moved out was "get Raptured". Somewhere between when I moved out and when I moved back in, it became surviving Mad Max. They're still pretending the "outdoors room" is about camping, so if they have a detailed plan beyond that, it's not something they've shared with me.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ZeeToo posted:

They've gone on camping trips for periods of two weeks, maybe a little longer if they did something while I wasn't living with them. They're planning to hike the Appalachian Trail at some point. They can live outdoors for a while... as long as they drag along the supplies from civilization. They're not even close to subsistence, although when I was younger we had a very basic vegetable garden that worked okay for a bit.

And, no, the plan until I moved out was "get Raptured". Somewhere between when I moved out and when I moved back in, it became surviving Mad Max. They're still pretending the "outdoors room" is about camping, so if they have a detailed plan beyond that, it's not something they've shared with me.

drat I was hoping for some insight into that psychology. Like, there's dudes out there who clearly take the whole end-of-the-world thing seriously and have what seems like as close as you can get to a workable plan for what to do when everything burns down, and I may not agree but I can defo understand that; and there's dudes who buy lots of guns or get into wierdo Bear Grylls stuff because that's mad cool and yeah rock on; but there's also a loving ton of people running around who can't loving shut up about ISIS or the zombies or Chinese invasion or whatever, and spend a lot of actual real money on actual real guns (and sometimes canned food), and that's as far as it goes, and what the gently caress is up with those guys

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ZeeToo posted:

Do they have any sort of retirement account in case they just have to just be alive for the next 20 years or so?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
What the gently caress is ACE?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Do they have any sort of retirement account in case they just have to just be alive for the next 20 years or so?

Yes. The world is going to end any second now, but in the meantime God calls us to not be one of the "foolish virgins", so you have to faithfully be ready in case it doesn't happen for a little bit.

Thankfully.

Some of the people we've known haven't managed this mental balancing act, between absolute certainty of the imminent end and the theological requirement to pretend otherwise.

Ideally, for them, they'll retire on their land and live out their days there, but if somehow the dollar doesn't crash to zero they should still be somewhat cared for.

Sizone posted:

What the gently caress is ACE?

There was a D&D thread with lots of details a little ways back. The basic overview in case you don't want to read the thread or don't have archives is that it's "Accelerated Christian Education", a bizarre homeschooling-focused curriculum that was intended to turn out office drones and isn't very good at teaching. And did I mention it has a bit of an agenda?

WISDOM * WISDOM * WISDOM *WISDOM * WISDOM * WISDOM *

(shamelessly stolen from Prester John's thread)

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Holy Christ that's a hell of a lot of very personal family insanity to share with the internet op. Hats off to you sir. :stonkhat:

I'm curious about the guns, but if the guns make you uneasy then don't feel like you have to make yourself uncomfortable for the benefit of random people on SA.

EDIT: Oh, sweet Jesus you were subjected to ACE, I'm so sorry on your behalf man. :sympathy:

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Am I just crazy or is that thing about Left in Spanish being sinestro a bunch of bullshit? I think they might be getting it mixed up with Green Lantern villains.

My dad has a stupid amount of hunting rifles, but he mostly just keeps em locked up because he thinks they're pretty and really only uses like 3 of em. He's honestly one of the few reasonable gun people I know that has a bit of sense with em.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Wait, if they believe the end is coming, why are they worried about surviving past it? Aren't they supposed to be raptured or whatever?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, if they believe the end is coming, why are they worried about surviving past it? Aren't they supposed to be raptured or whatever?

Despite the religious believes they espouse, they intrinsically (like all people) fear death and are afraid of the rapture's coming.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

unwantedplatypus posted:

Despite the religious believes they espouse, they intrinsically (like all people) fear death and are afraid of the rapture's coming.

u don't die in the rapture bro that's the point

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Keeshhound posted:

It's the same deal with people who go on-and-on about how fiat is worthless when they're gold bugs. If you suggest that if paper money is worthless, why don't they just give it all to you for safe keeping, they come up with a billion reasons as to why it's worthless and dance around the whole giving it to you question.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ZeeToo posted:

Yes. The world is going to end any second now, but in the meantime God calls us to not be one of the "foolish virgins", so you have to faithfully be ready in case it doesn't happen for a little bit.

Thankfully.

Some of the people we've known haven't managed this mental balancing act, between absolute certainty of the imminent end and the theological requirement to pretend otherwise.

Ideally, for them, they'll retire on their land and live out their days there, but if somehow the dollar doesn't crash to zero they should still be somewhat cared for.

There was a D&D thread with lots of details a little ways back. The basic overview in case you don't want to read the thread or don't have archives is that it's "Accelerated Christian Education", a bizarre homeschooling-focused curriculum that was intended to turn out office drones and isn't very good at teaching. And did I mention it has a bit of an agenda?

WISDOM * WISDOM * WISDOM *WISDOM * WISDOM * WISDOM *

(shamelessly stolen from Prester John's thread)

Who came up with "humanist" as an anti-religious slur?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

nachos posted:

Who came up with "humanist" as an anti-religious slur?

Humanists, I think.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Am I just crazy or is that thing about Left in Spanish being sinestro a bunch of bullshit? I think they might be getting it mixed up with Green Lantern villains.

"Left" in Spanish is izquierda, but they're sort of right otherwise. Sinister meant both "left" and "bad omen" in Latin. Most of the Romance languages lost that connection over time, but the word for "left" sometimes also means "awkward" (like they say gauche). It's apparently all something to do with Roman divination and most people being right-handed.

The point they're trying to make is nonsense. The political terms "left" and "right" were invented during the French Revolution because the republicans sat on the president's left and the monarchists sat on the president's right.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

James Garfield posted:

"Left" in Spanish is izquierda, but they're sort of right otherwise. Sinister meant both "left" and "bad omen" in Latin. Most of the Romance languages lost that connection over time, but the word for "left" sometimes also means "awkward" (like they say gauche). It's apparently all something to do with Roman divination and most people being right-handed.

The point they're trying to make is nonsense. The political terms "left" and "right" were invented during the French Revolution because the republicans sat on the president's left and the monarchists sat on the president's right.

Somehow, I don't think they will buy that description even if you source it. Cause they will see Republican and Left then scream about the Liberal Conspiracy. Maybe a few Libertarians going on about how they were the original liberals or some poo poo as well.

AbbadonOfHell fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 9, 2015

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
What part of the country are they in? Because that stuff would really come in handy after a hurricane.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

James Garfield posted:

"Left" in Spanish is izquierda, but they're sort of right otherwise.

I'm not an expert in Spanish, but I believe "right" is "derecha," not "diestra," no?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
As a representative of Arrowhead water, we want to encourage your family to keep buying our great product and using our fantastic bottles to store whatever you think is appropriate. Please contact me at info@arrowhead.com for a coupon for ten-cents off their next 500-gallon purchase.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

ZeeToo posted:

It was pretty much expected that my sister and I would both find good careers, then marry a godly person of the opposite sex, and settle down to raise the next generation to do the same, until the inevitable End Times completely ended the world. It's like the last two minutes of a football game when the outcome is still in doubt: it's going to end very soon, but you still strive hard and don't lounge complacently around, because the points are still accruing and are going to be important after this.

If you don't mind my asking, what was it like for you when you made that move from accepting the world would end to accepting that it would not? I understand if you do not want to answer, it is a very personal question and not directly related to the thread topic.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

PT6A posted:

I'm not an expert in Spanish, but I believe "right" is "derecha," not "diestra," no?

That too, but according to the dictionary diestro is "right-handed" (and "dexterous!") so I guess they can get a mostly undeserved pass on that.

I don't think I've heard anyone use it for "right" as in the direction, but it's in the dictionary and I doubt the ACE people have heard anyone speak Spanish at all :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how that ACE education comic has an answer for "Fear of God? That's scary" "Of course it is, because if you don't completely surrender all your free will to God he will completely gently caress you up because he's a vindictive and insecure dick".

I always had an assumption that people who were preppers were more interested in the fantasy of a world where no rules existed, they could be completely free, and shoot anyone they don't like. All that they didn't like was gone and they could remake society in the way they want. Your parents sound more like they have a real fear of the imminent collapse of society and a desperate desire to stay alive (which is understandable). Their consumption of extreme right media can't help but reinforce this belief of the end being right around the corner.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Once you finish your degree, I hope you can find a good place so you don't have to live with them any longer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hmm, someone linked an A/T thread to me I'll just check it out and... Oh Gawd, I'm not supposed to recognize the OP of these things. :gonk:

I think that it's a bad sign that I've been in the D&D/politics threads too long that the most horrifying part of that is that you and your sister were subjected to ACE of all things as kids. Prepping by itself is mostly harmless as long as they don't try to force it upon you. At least you apparently get along with your parents well enough to still live in the same roof for now.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Klaus88 posted:

I'm curious about the guns, but if the guns make you uneasy then don't feel like you have to make yourself uncomfortable for the benefit of random people on SA.

I'm actually not uncomfortable about guns. I've gone out shooting a few times, and while I'm no expert marksman I have some idea of how to use and maintain firearms... though I'm sure TFR would weep at my lack of knowledge as far as brands and calibers. What I'm not so sanguine about is a gun security system that involves putting 'em on the top shelf in a closet and covering them with a fedora. Here's some of the collection:

The same, out of their packaging.

And the shotgun. The handguns above are kept in front of this, and a fedora (not pictured) goes on top.

I'm not sure where my mom's Ruger is, so you don't get to see that. My parents may have taken it with them; they're camping right now, which is why I was somewhat free to take photos. There might be one more gun I'm forgetting, too, but I don't really want to go digging.

Keeshhound posted:

I don't have an answer to this. My assumption is that, disappointed about the next generation not living right, they're trying to live as long as possible so someone is. This is armchair psychology, though, so I could be off by miles.

echopapa posted:

What part of the country are they in? Because that stuff would really come in handy after a hurricane.

Arizona. :v:

N. Senada posted:

As a representative of Arrowhead water, we want to encourage your family to keep buying our great product and using our fantastic bottles to store whatever you think is appropriate. Please contact me at info@arrowhead.com for a coupon for ten-cents off their next 500-gallon purchase.

PM me; for fifty cents we might be able to hang an Arrowhead tarp off the front of the house.

Prester John posted:

If you don't mind my asking, what was it like for you when you made that move from accepting the world would end to accepting that it would not? I understand if you do not want to answer, it is a very personal question and not directly related to the thread topic.

That... I'm not sure I have a good answer to. It happened slowly and in stages. The world is going to end, but [insert distraction]. Eventually the Bible glared at me from the shelf, so I went and picked it back up, got back into 'Bible study', and eventually got distracted by something else. Repeat cycle until it just wasn't central any longer. I know the Y2k freakouts and 9/11 aftermath played into it, too; the former for "wow, that's how it looks when someone else is predicting the end of the world" and the latter for "so this is the unexpected end of the world according to some people and it's not even affecting me". I was in middle school at the time.

Mainly, though, it just became less important because it was drat hard to do when there's a life to live.

twistedmentat posted:

Your parents sound more like they have a real fear of the imminent collapse of society and a desperate desire to stay alive (which is understandable). Their consumption of extreme right media can't help but reinforce this belief of the end being right around the corner.

This is certainly the case. Half of the "Obama is destroying America!" crowd are liberals, recall, and beyond that my dad's mildly a goldbug (although he admits he doesn't think we'll ever go back to gold-backed currency, despite its superiority), and we've got a couple shelves of books by Hal Lindsey and his ilk (Titles like "88 reasons Why The Rapture Will Be in 1988" and "Planet Earth: 2000 A.D., Will Mankind survive?" (from $0.01 for hardcover on Amazon!)), including most recently Jonathan Cahn's "Mystery of the Shemitah" and... whatever other book he's put out. I can't be assed to keep up.

The world is actively ending right now.

Alkydere posted:

Hmm, someone linked an A/T thread to me I'll just check it out and... Oh Gawd, I'm not supposed to recognize the OP of these things. :gonk:

I think that it's a bad sign that I've been in the D&D/politics threads too long that the most horrifying part of that is that you and your sister were subjected to ACE of all things as kids. Prepping by itself is mostly harmless as long as they don't try to force it upon you. At least you apparently get along with your parents well enough to still live in the same roof for now.

Hi, Alkydere. :v: And, yeah, I get along fine with my parents most of the time. They have their weird things and I have my weird things and mostly we have things scheduled so we don't overlap much beyond when I watch classic Doctor Who with my dad and similarly harmless pursuits.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

ZeeToo posted:

I'm actually not uncomfortable about guns. I've gone out shooting a few times, and while I'm no expert marksman I have some idea of how to use and maintain firearms... though I'm sure TFR would weep at my lack of knowledge as far as brands and calibers. What I'm not so sanguine about is a gun security system that involves putting 'em on the top shelf in a closet and covering them with a fedora. Here's some of the collection:

Yeah, that is asking for them to be stolen, or for a tragic accident with a younger individual.

ZeeToo posted:

They have their weird things and I have my weird things and mostly we have things scheduled so we don't overlap much beyond when I watch classic Doctor Who with my dad and similarly harmless pursuits.

All that crazy AND poo poo taste in classic sci fi as well? You poor soul. :smith:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Klaus88 posted:

All that crazy AND poo poo taste in classic sci fi as well? You poor soul. :smith:

Dunno, I vastly prefer Classic Who to Nu Who.

It's like Original Trek, only campier and the producers weren't trying to kill it at the end because they dared show a white man treating a black woman as worthy of being on the bridge of a white man's ship.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

So two ultra-conservative religious preppers let their kid move back in who fell onto hard times. That kid repays their kindness by ridiculing them on the internet and posting pictures of their personal belongings. Is that what this A/T is about?

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.
I like the bedsheets or quilt or whatever that red flower/peacock thing is. It's cute and I'd want it during the apocalypse because everything else would be so grim.

I'm not sure about their chances, though. It doesn't look like there's any way to make fire, much in the way of medicine or first aid, no maps of the area or guides to what plants are poisonous (though you said they're in AZ, so I guess that's somewhere between "lol what plants?" and "all of them"), flares, walkie-talkies, sunscreen, rope, boots, extra boots for when those boots wear out, antivenom, etc. While I understand that the will of the divine is often inscrutable, why do you think God is setting your parents up to fail?

Also, what kind of Christian pastor thinks that Ayn Rand is a morally safe writer for children, but that rock and roll music is hazardous? That's the part of this I find the strangest - I could understand a pastor thinking modern music sucks, but it boggles my mind that someone who's intellectual enough to be a preacher could read The Virtue of Selfishness and conclude it's not a full-court press in favor of Mammon.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the gays are coming, OP

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

jabro posted:

So two ultra-conservative religious preppers let their kid move back in who fell onto hard times. That kid repays their kindness by ridiculing them on the internet and posting pictures of their personal belongings. Is that what this A/T is about?

Really haven't seen much ridicule here chief, also maybe somebody is curious about the lifestyle. But whatever.:rolleyes: Guessing you're a prepper and got butthurt?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ZeeToo posted:

The world is actively ending right now.

Well yeah I guess, but only in the same way an infant is in the process of dying of old age. How do your parents square Obama's hatred of America with the drop in unemployment and economic improvement etc since he's been in office?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ZeeToo posted:

The same, out of their packaging.

And the shotgun. The handguns above are kept in front of this, and a fedora (not pictured) goes on top.

I'm not sure where my mom's Ruger is, so you don't get to see that. My parents may have taken it with them; they're camping right now, which is why I was somewhat free to take photos. There might be one more gun I'm forgetting, too, but I don't really want to go digging.

I'm trying to come up with a worse way to store these, even from a not-turning-them-into-rust perspective, and the only thing I can think of is leaving them unattended on the front porch in a bucket of coca-cola and battery acid. Your parents really have a dedication to blowing money on poo poo they have no interest in ever figuring out how to use.

Is there a community of crazy evangelicals really serious about the Rapture your folks are active participants in or are they mostly on their own with all this poo poo?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

jabro posted:

Yeah, sure.

Tao Jones posted:

I like the bedsheets or quilt or whatever that red flower/peacock thing is. It's cute and I'd want it during the apocalypse because everything else would be so grim.

I'm not sure about their chances, though. It doesn't look like there's any way to make fire, much in the way of medicine or first aid, no maps of the area or guides to what plants are poisonous (though you said they're in AZ, so I guess that's somewhere between "lol what plants?" and "all of them"), flares, walkie-talkies, sunscreen, rope, boots, extra boots for when those boots wear out, antivenom, etc. While I understand that the will of the divine is often inscrutable, why do you think God is setting your parents up to fail?

Also, what kind of Christian pastor thinks that Ayn Rand is a morally safe writer for children, but that rock and roll music is hazardous? That's the part of this I find the strangest - I could understand a pastor thinking modern music sucks, but it boggles my mind that someone who's intellectual enough to be a preacher could read The Virtue of Selfishness and conclude it's not a full-court press in favor of Mammon.

Well, there's a lot of matches that escaped photographing. A few dozen books, maybe a hundred. Also a magnifying glass, if you're desperate enough. Fire can happen from there... Could be some other firestarting stuff I overlooked and/or currently with them, too. Same thing with sunscreen: there's a bit that I didn't show. As for the rest of the oversights... beats me. I think the idea is to be well-established on their own farm before the end comes, and for that to just work.

As far as squaring Rand and Christianity, that's pretty common. Usually something like "we don't agree on everything but on some things she really has a point...". Personal responsibility, non-initiation-of-force, and the belief she's right about how people are in large groups and thus how economics should work. If that doesn't satisfy you, I probably can't help, though; I can't share the most spirited defense of two topics I'm not a true believer on.

The music ban was more de facto than de jure. I wasn't exactly forbidden to listen to other music, it just somehow happened that I never heard anything from the Beatles (or whatever else) until I was well into my teens. Never exposed to it: didn't have a TV for many years, radio in car kept tuned to Christian music, on the home stereo would I prefer to listen to Bach or Brahms? Oh, and keep yourself pure and separate from the world, per the Bible. At the time, the de facto music ban was something I was all for. I didn't feel I was being restricted; I just didn't like music as much as most people. Then the internet came along and I discovered I liked some bands. How strange, music I like!

This restriction sort of gradually faded as I got closer to adulthood, and at this point I know my mom and I share a like of a handful of musical groups like Journey and Bon Jovi. I had no idea, nor would I have recognized any of their music, when I was, say, fourteen.

stubblyhead posted:

Well yeah I guess, but only in the same way an infant is in the process of dying of old age. How do your parents square Obama's hatred of America with the drop in unemployment and economic improvement etc since he's been in office?

That one's easy enough. What economic improvement? Please find a source that isn't from the liberal media. And every "but the real unemployment figures are..." would be seen. Toss in people like Jonathan Cahn, who I mentioned above. Cahn marks parallels between modern America (and 9/11 in particular) and the destruction of the Kingdom of Israel. We might pretend otherwise, and have some cherrypicked evidence, but in reality the end is upon us.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm trying to come up with a worse way to store these, even from a not-turning-them-into-rust perspective, and the only thing I can think of is leaving them unattended on the front porch in a bucket of coca-cola and battery acid. Your parents really have a dedication to blowing money on poo poo they have no interest in ever figuring out how to use.

Is there a community of crazy evangelicals really serious about the Rapture your folks are active participants in or are they mostly on their own with all this poo poo?

Mostly their own. At one time or another, we've had friends and associates who reinforced elements of it, but never a big community that reinforced all of it. It's part of why I specifically said "not a cult" in the OP: no cult head, no really strict enforcement about not being able to leave it, no community that makes it socially impossible to step away. Everything I've stopped following their lead on might get a "but are you really sure, have you really thought this through" sort of discussion, but nothing worse or more enforced than any parent's attempts to provide guidance to a child they feel is making a stupid decision. Ultimately, personal responsibility and you can't really make someone do something. They really do believe this.

Klaus88 posted:

I will trip you with my miles of scarf. :mad:

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 9, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Fascinating and depressing thread...

Fun factoid: dexter (right hand) and sinister (left hand) are terms used in heraldry ( :hist101: ) and formerly in art history to discuss positions of elements. So yes, lefties are sinister freaks. But we love them. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_and_sinister

This is the point when goon lefties start blubbing about how they an minority oppressed minority. :rant:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but there seems to be a disturbing lack of toilet paper for the apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Comstar posted:

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but there seems to be a disturbing lack of toilet paper for the apocalypse.

I should probably just make a general statement that I didn't comprehensively photograph every supply in the entire property.

Months' worth in the bathroom, in this case.

• Locked thread