Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing your parents are huge huge fans of Fox News. What pundits in particular do they seem to really like? Are they like, rabid fans of any particular one or do they just nod to a gaggle of talking heads?

Also, how do they feel about news/information sources outside of their little shell of crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ZeeToo posted:

And, no, the plan until I moved out was "get Raptured". Somewhere between when I moved out and when I moved back in, it became surviving Mad Max. They're still pretending the "outdoors room" is about camping, so if they have a detailed plan beyond that, it's not something they've shared with me.

Do they have any sort of retirement account in case they just have to just be alive for the next 20 years or so?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What sorta stuff do your parents think about Obama/Democrats then?

Also given how insanely far right they are, what do they think of the Republicans? The Tea Party?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
They'd probably be a lot happier with their lives if they weren't living in abject despair over the imminent collapse of the world, though.

Granted they could be doing a lot worse. But they could also be doing much much better.

OP, given your parents' insular worldview what sorts of groups or individuals do they actually trust?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ZeeToo posted:

The end of the world is a wonderful thing. It's all laid out in these verses about the End Times: a glorious and eternal reward draws swiftly near.

Wow. This is the saddest thing. If I were in your shoes this would probably feel kinda like watching both my parents suffering from Alzheimer's, except in some ways worse. Patients with this sort of utter detachment from reality ARE often quite happy because they're kinda holed up in their own little world. Yet there's nothing clinical about these sorts of prepper delusions.

You could probably help them come around, but... would you really want to? Not only would they have to deal with the shock of their world being turned upside down, they'd have to deal with the fact that they've wasted so much of their lives and money on this bullshit. How well do you think they'd be able to cope with the outside world? And as cruel as this sounds, do you think it might be worth it to change their minds at this point?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i'm glad you live with wierd christian parents who are ok with you living your own life OP, and not evangelical atheists

Lamenting people wasting tons of time, money, and possibly their mental health because of an insular and paranoid worldview is a bad thing how?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Alkydere posted:

But...but...what do you mean Adultery is a bad thing. It's right there in my copy of the KJV: "Thall Shalt Commit Adultery", see!

:v:

Eh, I'm sure it'll become a collectable.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Commie NedFlanders posted:

but I hope that doesn't totally push you away from God

Hello Sailor posted:

This. Poseidon will totally wreck your poo pooship if you stop sacrificing horses before a sea voyage.

What the hell is with you heathens. Quetzalcoatl all the way, dudes. There hasn't been a proper offering of still-beating human hearts in centuries. It's like you people WANT the sun to blot out and all of humanity eaten by jaguars or killed by floods or drowned by shark-jaguars or whatever the hell it'll be this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Phlegmatist posted:

What's the point of your parents building a prepper cave when they believe they're gonna get raptured before the tribulation anyway?

To keep from getting captured and tortured by the New Age Healers who will operate the One-World Government.

• Locked thread