Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genki
Nov 12, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

I went all-in in for the HHL last year, and I lost. My team's keepers are going to be pitiful this year.
I have some decent cheap keepers, and have to consider how much money to spend on keeping expensive guys.

Like do I really want crosby at that price? ... eeeeeh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genki
Nov 12, 2003

T-Bone posted:

Erik Karlsson -- we may need a ruling on this as Genki has technically had him 2 1/2 seasons (lol someone waived Erik Karlsson).
Not even 1/2 a season, it was the lockout season and he didn't come back from injury until late april...

Anyhow, I'd like to keep him but I'll abide by the league majority ruling.

Hmm, tentative keeper list:

Karlsson: $74 -> $89
Holtby: $49 -> $59
Giordano: $2 -> $3
Nyquist: $2 -> $3

If no Karlsson, I'll put in
Benn: $94 -> $113

genki
Nov 12, 2003

T-Bone posted:

Plenty of time. Draft isn't until October 4th.
Any decision on Karlsson yet? :v:

genki
Nov 12, 2003
My team is kind of bizarre and we'll see how things work out...

C - Patrice Bergeron (Bos - C) $83, Tyler Bozak (Tor - C) $1, Mikael Granlund (Min - C) $1
LW - Joe Pavelski (SJ - C,LW) $92, Valtteri Filppula (TB - C,LW) $9, Jonathan Drouin (TB - LW) $20
RW - Marian Gaborik (LA - RW) $19, Jeff Skinner (Car - C,LW,RW) $20, Gustav Nyquist  (Det - C,LW,RW) $3
D - Mike Green (Det - D) $33, Duncan Keith (Chi - D) $44, Zdeno Chara (Bos - D) $6, Jeff Petry (Mon - D) $7, Mark Giordano  (Cgy - D) $3, Erik Karlsson  (Ott - D) $89

G - Antti Niemi (Dal - G) $10, Karri Ramo (Cgy - G) $1, Braden Holtby  (Was - G) $59

I don't think I'm completely screwed but my up front scoring is kind of poor, and I don't have any periphery stats, really... hopefully FOW and defenseman scoring can pull me through? I dunno. Goaltending is kind of sketch too, should have tried to get someone better to help Holtby.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

Cool story. Whoever is trying to trade me an injured backup for Perry.. yeah, no.
Btw, I had to reject your offer but if I end up with three starters and the rest of my team sucks, I'll probably reconsider if you put together a good deal.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
Oh hai dylan larkin, how nice of you to join my keeper team from waivers. Hope he keeps up the pace...

genki
Nov 12, 2003
You basically have to be omnipotent to make a choice that will hold up over the entire season. Makes for fun gambling.

The real question is whether you give up on someone too early...

Speaking of early season pickups, I'm surprised no one's gone for Lindberg yet in HHL...

genki
Nov 12, 2003
ugh, someone grabbed darnell nurse out from under me in HHL. bastard.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

T-Bone posted:

Do you think those guys will really progress enough in one year to be worth spending one of four keeper slots on? I think they're both at least 2-3 years away from that consideration. A good young forward would seem a better bet.
I'm losing a keeper or two this year anyhow and it's better to have them for keeper option before they take off... that is, if they take off this season, can keeper them for next season. If they don't, you don't keeper them and it's not really a huge loss.

I have a few decent options like Larkin and maybe Trocheck but we'll see if they pan out over the course of an entire season...

genki
Nov 12, 2003
I'm trying to figure out how I ever liked my HHL team, I seem to have either lovely or mediocre as my options up front. And my defensive scoring is never going to win me any games... ugh. Why didn't I keep benn and ditch karlsson? Stupid.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
My fantasy teams in yahoo are all terrible this year. I didn't set up my drafting with any particular strategy and it shows. All of my teams seem to have glaring weaknesses and no particular strengths. Ugh.

On the plus side, my one money league on ESPN is doing quite well, so hopefully I'll win that and feel better about myself.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
I feel like holtby is singlehandedly responsible for my HHL standing. I don't think there's anyone else on my roster having a particularly good season...

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

I traded Hall and Toews for Barkov and Nylander. I was too slow in nabbing Nylander yesterday morning (stupid work!), but I figure I'd take a chance on him for two guys that I wasn't going to keep at the end of the year. Also, I am super high on Barkov.

Sorry to the dude who I offered Kane for Eichel. I didn't realize how expensive Eichel was when I first offered the deal, and I don't even know if I'd keep him next year for that price.
I made a post complaining about this trade, then remembered the keeper rules at the end of the post, then now that I look at the thread it was actually the keeper thing I thought it was. Haha.

We need to make a capgeek site for HHL so we know who picked up when in what season and then we can see who might be available for playoff runs... heh.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

T-Bone posted:

The wording is dumb I should probably rewrite that. Essentially you can have a player for 3 seasons. The season in which you pick them up + 2.

e: I don't even remember how we've been doing trades. I think the years on the previous team count but if that's wrong feel free to correct me.
Previous years count! I'd like to note that I got an exception with Karlsson because 1. I picked him up before we started the 3 year thing and 2. I picked him up from waivers when he was injured, so he didn't play a lot in that season (though he did play some, iirc).

Anyhow, just a note that I'd be open to trading cap dollars in HHL also!

genki
Nov 12, 2003
My HHL team did way better than it should have, probably entirely on the back of holtby.

Man, keepers might be tough next year...

Also based on the scoring race right now, I'm happy to say keeping Karlsson over Benn wasn't a terrible decision! Haha. Sorry to see him go...

genki
Nov 12, 2003
ah gently caress, my waiver for duchene in HHL missed by $4... well 5 I guess. Lame.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
Yeah Karlsson was a mid-season pickup (I picked him up).

Crosby getting dumped basically had no meaning. I mean, even if you weren't keeping Crosby, since the game was already decided, why wouldn't you have dumped anyone else that wasn't playing? The only reason to dump Crosby to waivers is if you're stupid?

Maybe someone can explain some other reasoning, but my vote would be that we keep the Crosby waiver pickup as valid but kick out the stupid GM because there's no point in playing a keeper league with stupid people. I mean Crosby getting kept for three seasons for way cheaper than market value is terrible for the league in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genki
Nov 12, 2003
Well if we're not kicking Veskit out, I definitely want some sort of league punishment. If we're not playing with other intelligent GMs, what's the point of staying in a keeper league at all?

I'm not going to waste time participating in a league that tolerates this kind of dumbass poo poo.

Also I feel like whoever did pick up Crosby deserves a little something, assuming we're not letting them keep Crosby. Nice to know people are watching the league closely.

• Locked thread