Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I went all-in in for the HHL last year, and I lost. My team's keepers are going to be pitiful this year.

rexelation posted:

I'll renew LOLHL and send out invites later today. Sorry I've been pretty busy recently and haven't had the chance to do it yet.

Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I think my three keepers will be Barrie ($20->$24), Wheeler ($32->$38), and Simmonds ($28->$34). I just have no idea who the fourth player will be. I may just take Wideman because he costs nothing.

Also, costs go up 20%, correct?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am joining a league where you select one player from a group of five, so that you end up with 18 forwards, 9 defenseman, and 4 goalies. The catch? The scoring is wonky, and I managed to exploit it to end up in 3rd place last year: 2 points for a goal (opposed to 1 for an assist), and you get 2 extra points if its a SHG, and an extra point if its either a PP goal or shootout winning goal. You also get three extra points if your player scores a hat trick. Last year, I was able to pick most of the players with relative ease, but this year, the groupings are slightly more difficult. I NEED YOUR HELP!

I am having difficulty with the following groups:
Backes, Iginla, Jagr, Hossa, and Lucic
Stepan, Backstrom, Forsberg, Nugent-Hopkins, and MacKinnon
Getzlaf, Giroux, Pacioretty, Vrbata, and Nash

I am thinking of going Backes, Forsberg, and Getzlaf, but I am also considering a few other options. Should I explain (yes!)? While Backes seems like the easy choice, I am also considering Hossa and Iginla, two old dudes who can still light it up. My buddy suggests that I pick Hossa because I already took Tarasenko, and I should diversify my picks. While I am thinking of Forsberg, MacKinnon intrigues me, and even though he had a down year, I am heavily considering going for him (again, I took Duchene earlier, so my buddy thinks I should go with Forsberg). Finally, I tossed a coin between Getzlaf and Giroux, but Pacioretty's goal totals seem to good to pass up.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My thinking was that while Patches can easily score around 35, his point totals are usually in the mid-60s. Getzlaf and Giroux both have the capability of putting up huge seasons, and I am wondering if the difference in points between Patches and Getzlaf/Giroux make up the difference in goals. Plus, Patches may not even be ready for the beginning of the season.

I am just glad I am not crazy for thinking of taking MacKinnon over Forsberg. I am not really reading much into his slump (even if I did take him in a few pools!).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I am joining a league where you select one player from a group of five, so that you end up with 18 forwards, 9 defenseman, and 4 goalies. The catch? The scoring is wonky, and I managed to exploit it to end up in 3rd place last year: 2 points for a goal (opposed to 1 for an assist), and you get 2 extra points if its a SHG, and an extra point if its either a PP goal or shootout winning goal. You also get three extra points if your player scores a hat trick. Last year, I was able to pick most of the players with relative ease, but this year, the groupings are slightly more difficult. I NEED YOUR HELP!

I am having difficulty with the following groups:
Backes, Iginla, Jagr, Hossa, and Lucic
Stepan, Backstrom, Forsberg, Nugent-Hopkins, and MacKinnon
Getzlaf, Giroux, Pacioretty, Vrbata, and Nash

I am thinking of going Backes, Forsberg, and Getzlaf, but I am also considering a few other options. Should I explain (yes!)? While Backes seems like the easy choice, I am also considering Hossa and Iginla, two old dudes who can still light it up. My buddy suggests that I pick Hossa because I already took Tarasenko, and I should diversify my picks. While I am thinking of Forsberg, MacKinnon intrigues me, and even though he had a down year, I am heavily considering going for him (again, I took Duchene earlier, so my buddy thinks I should go with Forsberg). Finally, I tossed a coin between Getzlaf and Giroux, but Pacioretty's goal totals seem to good to pass up.

I have also run into an issue of who to pick between Josi and Burns. I am unsure if Burns will be used as a forward again this year, which is why I am leaning towards Josi.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

I do a new Devils pun in every league every year cause I roll deep

Too bad you never got to use "Ryder Die"

This isn't very good, but I congratulated myself on coming up with that in a few seconds. Should have spent a few more minutes on the burner.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

If I picked a player up from waivers, they only go up to $2 this year, correct?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Keepers

My buddy: Bishop, Galchenyuk, Strome, and Hedman
Me: Barrie, Simmonds, Wheeler, and Wideman (why, man? I got rid of all my good keepers).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

Is the HHL draft really starting at 10PM?

Yeah, if it starts at 10PM, I'm gonna have to leave my fate in the hands of the computer.

Same goes for the LOLHL.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Games start Wednesday. I would prefer a 7/8P start time. Since the HHL drafts tend to go for three or so hours, and I have an early wake time, I just can't do anything later. If everyone else is fine with it, then keep the time (obviously), but I won't be able to make it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

iirc HHL takes forever because the auction draft timer starts at 30 seconds and counts down. When someone makes a new bid once it gets below 10 seconds, the timer goes back to 10 seconds. So, essentially, the first few rounds take a long time, because people let the counter run down to 1, then make a bid, which resets the clock, then someone else lets the counter run down to 1, then makes a bid, which resets the clock again (and repeat to infinity).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Well, I may have exaggerated with people continually letting it get down to 1 (usually it'll go down to 3-5 seconds as people consider placing another bid), but it definitely happens a lot in the first few rounds. Once the big boys are gone, there doesn't seem to be as much of a frenzy.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Any hope on switching the draft to Tuesday around 8? Or is Sunday set in stone?

Don't want to come off as a big baby whiner who needs his precious sleep.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

What's the starting auction budget for HHL by the way?

iirc, it's $500 minus the cost of your keepers.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I think McDavid has higher upside than Monahan this year. I would 100% go for McDavid over Monahan. I'd even think about taking Eichel over Monahan.

Yes, remember to quote this even if I'm wrong.

e: To expand, McDavid's ceiling is pretty much top-10 scorer in the league this season. He plays for Edmonton, but both Crosby and Ovechkin went to teams that were arguably worse than Edmonton (well, in terms of linemates), and put up the two most exciting rookie seasons that I have ever witnessed. Even Malkin had a really good season. I understand that some people are hesitant on McDavid, but he's really close to the Crosby/Ovie/Malkin tier of rookies entering the league, so I have no issue with going all-in on him.

Monahan is a good young player, and I think he'll do well this year, but I just don't think his ceiling is as high as McDavid's in a league where goals and assists are the same amount of points.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 3, 2015

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Only a handful of 18 year olds have scored more than .77 PPG over a 40+ game season in the modern era of the NHL, which is what Monahan put up last year with what look to be fairly sustainable numbers, and that was mostly in a higher scoring era. McDavid may well so better but history isn't on his side.

Crosby had one of, if not the best, 18 year old rookie seasons of all time. It is expecting a lot for McD to so the same.

McDavid is an entirely different kind of prospect.

T-Bone posted:

I'm not sure why we're talking about McDavid in a way that the exceptional shouldn't be expected. The opposite is true. His only recent junior comparisons are Crosby and Kane.

Exactly.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, I dropped out of LOLHL. I couldn't do consecutive nights of 10pm draft times.

Here is my HHL team.

1. (1) Patrick Kane (Chi - C,RW) $100
2. (17) Jonathan Toews (Chi - C) $91
3. (22) Taylor Hall (Edm - C,LW) $71
4. (73) Jake Allen (StL - G) $21
5. (74) Ryan McDonagh (NYR - D) $28
6. (86) Jonathan Bernier (Tor - G) $11
7. (89) Kari Lehtonen (Dal - G) $4
8. (95) Jarome Iginla (Col - RW) $17
9. (147) Cam Fowler (Anh - D) $10
10. (163) Tyler Myers (Wpg - D) $8
11. (176) Clarke MacArthur (Ott - LW) $1
12. (187) Brandon Pirri (Fla - C,LW,RW) $2
13. (188) Sam Bennett (Cgy - C) $3
14. (199) Sam Reinhart (Buf - C) $1
15. (273) Dennis Wideman  (Cgy - D) $3
16. (274) Blake Wheeler  (Wpg - RW) $40
17. (275) Wayne Simmonds  (Phi - LW,RW) $34
18. (276) Tyson Barrie  (Col - D) $24

My draft strategy was thrown out the window when I showed up a minute late and found I was autodrafted Kane (I was going to go hard after Tavares). I quickly realized I needed goalies, so my strategy became grab whoever I can and hope for the best. This team seems pretty boom or bust (if Kane doesn't go to jail and Hall remains healthy), so I'll see what happens. I am hoping one of Bennett and Reinhart can be a decent contributor this year.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 5, 2015

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Vicas posted:

Very important question about Yahoo sports: in the web browser, is there any way to change the color scheme to the darker version they had last year? all the white in the new scheme is burning my eyes

I think they've eliminated the option to change, because I can't seem to find it.

The dark version was awful!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

On the other hand, I chose not to drop Eakin last year for Forsberg, and that turned out to be the second-worst move I made all year (the first was keeping Perron over Schwartz).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

RC Cola posted:

Martin. I'd be trading Jones for Forsberg. Goalies are good in my league bit I have two starters and a backup. Hes also good trade bait if I need it

I would probably do this deal, but it would depend on who my other goalies are.

DeNofa posted:

Alright I need some fantasy advice. Too many LWs, all scoring categories, should I drop Ladd or Kreider? I'm leaning towards keeping Kreider solely based on that NYR are in an easier division, but Ladd is top PP pairing so I'm conflicted.

These guys are too valuable to drop, unless you're in a 4-team league.

fancy stats posted:

Hey guys on my HHL team,

It'd be nice if you would stop getting injured.

Thanks,
Fancy stats

Hey HHL team,

I apologize for drafting Lehtonen and Bernier. I wasn't thinking.

Apologies,
Twin Cinema

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

RC Cola posted:

I have Rinne, Niemi, and Mrazek

Oh yeah, I'd do that deal. You should be able to hit your weekly starts with Niemi and Mrazek sharing the time (I assume they are sharing time. I haven't checked).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I wouldn't make that trade.

Byfuglien is better than Kronwall straight up. Ovechkin is going to have more goals than Seguin but they're both top 10 if not top 5 scorers, so that's basically a wash. Wheeler and Bergeron are both hot right now, and Wheeler will probably produce slightly more (but not by much), but over the course of a season I probably take Bergeron just because he'll help you win faceoffs every week.

Yeah, the trade isn't awful or anything, but it's not really one that benefits you in any way. My biggest concern, like Jamwad, would be giving up Big Buff for Kronwall. None of the other moves make up for that loss.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I can't believe someone
A) put Duchene on waivers in HHL
B) I thought I would get him with a $30 claim

I thought I'd get him with a $25 claim :(

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It depends on what player Duchene is this year. He's only a year removed from his 70-point season, and it's not like he was terrible last year. His slow start is probably just that: a slow start.

My problem is that I didn't think many people would notice Duchene sitting on the WW, and I thought I was going to get a cheap keeper for next year, rather than thinking of spending as much WW cash as possible. If the past is any indication, players of significant worth don't make it to the WW often, so it's better to spend your cash on them when they do rather than saving it for something that will never happen.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

fancy stats posted:

With no competition. :argh:

Had the same rationale with the FAAB thing, but apparently just hadn't aimed high enough. They both would've been upgrades to my current roster who I wouldn't have kept either way, so no point being frugal.

I'd love to have Duchene, but um, I already have Brandon Pirri.

I am also getting to the point where keeping Sam Bennett and Sam Reinhart as cheap keepers is becoming not worth watching them struggle through their rookie seasons.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

man its pretty tight still in HHL after 4 weeks. 6th place has 51 points and 14th place has 47

After two wins in a row, I have jumped from 16th to move to a 4-way tie for 11th place.

Sam Bennett has made himself useful, thankfully.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's rough having Rask right now. The Bruins defense is bad so he's facing multiple odd-man rushes every goddamn game, or the defense completely fails to cover the backdoor, or something similar, so he gets lit up even when Boston wins. On the other hand, I don't think his numbers can be this bad all season, and he's going to get wins even with Boston being not-that-good just because he's going to play 70 drat games. Also it's Rask, so I don't feel like selling low is a great idea, especially in LSL when goalies can make a big difference in winning and losing each week.

Didn't Lundqvist have a similar start last year (or maybe the one before that), and came back to finish with a .920 SV%?

Rask gets a pretty long leash from me, and he's definitely someone I'd hold onto. I wouldn't be worried yet.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Let's do this trade and pretend it's still 2006 so Iginla is a top-10 forward.

I can't believe I am declining to do a deal because I want to roll with Lehtonen and Allen for longer. I am keeping Bernier on the IR until I have to drop him (or he gets betthahaha).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Everytime I drop Bernier, he picks up a little steam, then I add him again, and he goes to dog poo poo. When will I learn?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I may be looking to deal Patty Kane soon, especially if I lose again this week. I may dangle Toews and Hall, as well.

The only keepers I have are Allen/Lehner (one or maybe both of them), Bennett/Reinhart (may end up keeping both, but for right now, I am leaning towards only keeping one), and Simmonds (can't remember if he's ineligible to be kept after this season).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I traded Hall and Toews for Barkov and Nylander. I was too slow in nabbing Nylander yesterday morning (stupid work!), but I figure I'd take a chance on him for two guys that I wasn't going to keep at the end of the year. Also, I am super high on Barkov.

Sorry to the dude who I offered Kane for Eichel. I didn't realize how expensive Eichel was when I first offered the deal, and I don't even know if I'd keep him next year for that price.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

fancy stats posted:

Haha, figured he'd be a good keeper option once his call up was announced. Luckily, my office is super lax when it comes to me loving around.

I am nervous about Barkov, though, I really liked him as a keeper.

But there are no keepers were I'm heading. :cool:

It's a first round exit. I am headed to a first round exit.

Keeping Nylander this year will depend on how well he finishes the season. I have been lugging around Bennett and Reinhart all season (well, I dropped Bennett for a month), and I really have no idea who I'd keep between those two. If Nylander can somehow make more of an impression, then I may lean towards him.

Barkov is my man, though. He's the guy I really wanted. I tried to draft him this year before bidding got too high for me.

As of right now, my keeper options (ranked by my desire to keep them): Barkov, Lehner, Allen (Lehner is $2 compared to Allen's $26), Barrie, Reinhart, Bennet, Nylander. I didn't include Simmonds because I think this is my last year I can keep him.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

If someone could remind me of the keeper rules in HHL, that would be great. I believe you can keep a player for 4 years, which means I have Wayne Simmonds next year (I first drafted him before the 2012-13 season), correct?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Thank you kindly, sir.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I'm pretty stoked for next year now that I have Barkov and Domi, and that I can pick two players from a group that includes Lehner, Vasilevskiy, Bennett, Reinhart, and Nylander.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I know someone said that we'd all be in a range of 450-550, but couldn't I theoretically continue hoarding cash by trading off players and ending up with, like, $700?

e: I should add that I am in favour of being able to trade money. It makes for an interesting twist.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 4, 2016

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My friend nabbed a cheap keeper in Crosby thanks to someone (not naming names!) dropping him for Bo Hovart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I think the Crosby add should be honoured.

• Locked thread