Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mr Chips posted:

Don't write England off yet. Australia are even more fragile generally dogshit (managed to horseshit their way to a Rugby Championship) and have the capacity to play truly awful rugby if the mood takes them. Quade Cooper is playing.

As an Australian, I fixed it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Woden posted:

Australia didn't want all their top players moving to France for a few years before retirement so banned them from playing for Australia, world cup is on so someone said gently caress the rules bring back Gitau and here we are. No idea on the French side of things.

It's more a case of "We don't want all our best players to be playing in France and England, but there's no way in hell we're going to be able to stop them doing exactly that immediately after the world cup, while we're wallowing in being basically bankrupt. Also, hey, that Giteau guy is doing pretty good... why don't we just change the rule a little early".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ColtMcAsskick posted:

The wallabies look like they can win the World Cup at this point

England is out of the World Cup at the knockout stage. This is automatically the most successful Australian Rugby World Cup ever.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'm actually really looking forward to the Wales game.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

As an Australian Rugby fan... gently caress that game was boring.
Good contest, but it was a pretty eh game to watch and I could see how it'd be even worse if you're a neutral.

Southern hemisphere fans aren't known for being fans of strong defensive play.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tyma posted:

1.65/1 : All Southern Hemisphere teams except Argentina win

The reason they lean so heavily in one direction is that Scotland are so unlikely to beat Australia :{

Also, it's Australia, and it's Scotland.
I fully believe the Wallabies are capable of crashing out at this stage to a team that on the balance of things probably shouldn't be here.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Scapegoat posted:

Maybe the trick is to promote rugby in Canada. Half the time I feel Australia is only interested in rugby since they don't like their little brother NZ looking good. Built up the rivalry with Canada so US always is striving to beat them. Also one thing that amazed my when I lived in Canada was how many kids played rugby in highschool, they all drop it after it seems though.

Australia likes the following things:

1) Winning everything
2) Beating New Zealand
3) Beating England

When the Wallabies aren't doing 2 of the above, no-one in Australia cares about them. For the last what, 8 years they haven't really been doing the above at all or have been doing it so inconsistently that it sort of happens in News headlines occasionally.

Australia cares about Rugby at all because we can beat England and New Zealand and beat other nations that aren't complete jokes at the sport (see also: "League, Rugby"), otherwise it would have remained a Private Schoolboys sport.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah, he does, but I think that will work in our favour. We'd prefer to play fast Rugby against Scotland and they'll be trying to slow us down at the ruck. Joubert hates that sort of thing and it usually benefits Australian teams that rely on speed (since we don't have a good kicking field kicking game).

As someone who was born into Brumbies Rugby, I can holistically deny that Joubert gives Australia any advantage by allowing us to play a smoother flowing game.
In fact, the opposite. He has a long and storied history of levying infractions at the Australian scrum like he's some kind of cartoon baboon with poo poo. Same with Poite.

Unless one of them has radically changed their view on how scrums, rucks and mauls should be penalised.

I'm not saying Australia don't do... well we suck at scrums. But it's typically exacerbated by teams who recognise that you can win 5m with the scrum or you can 50 with the penalty.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Hey Scotland, if you're serious about winning just do your best to injure Foley and force Cooper onto the ground.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

pff the southern hemisphere wishes they had a competition as noble and prestigious as the six nations

Hey now. We have 3 (!) trophies to win while competing for the Rugby Championship trophy.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Maybe the best idea is to make the club competitions worldwide? We've already got Japan and Singapore joining the super 15, why not some European teams? Stick to the same rules where only 2 imports are allowed so the player skills increase while not weakening the pool of players for international sides.

Travel costs would be insane. Japan and Singapore are already going to be tough but South Africa wants out of SANZAR so it can get that sweet sweet Euro money.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Woden posted:

As an Australian I must admit this is a really good checklist.

As someone who grew up with Razzle Dazzle Rugby, I especially like the "never Australia" check.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

To me, Australia are the biggest underdogs of the top nations in Rugby (I guess Argentina are top tier these days, so maybe second biggest underdog). The sport here is a by-line to everything else, the ARU is virtually bankrupt and yet we manage to produce some pretty good, albeit inconsistent, Rugby. We're the Tottenham of Rugby :)

There are a lot of private schoolboys in Canberra, Brisbane and Sydney.

My list is simple:
1) Australia
2) Whoever is playing England
3) The sport of rugby through "actually good games" and "underdogs winning"

I don't like it when New Zealand win, but they're so good at Rugby. I don't hate them, but I celebrate every time we win.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Smorgasbord posted:

The silent majority of us didn't think it's a big deal because it wasn't, in fact we love Quade for the comedy he brings.

You're from a lovely place not called Australia aren't you?

I have a frustration with Quade because I've seen him at his best and he can be very good. When he's not there he's a trashcan on fire.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

If my team was eliminated I would go for them. In a final I would either go for the All Blacks or, if they weren't in it, whoever hadn't won the cup before (if that was an option).

In the event of an Australia SA Final which glass do you break?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Neutral supporter, there's always a third way.

If you're from this side of the world, waking up to watch the final is just not worth it if you don't have a horse in the race. So I totally get the idea of just running from the burning building.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Ewar Woowar posted:

If we make the final I believe that would be his 149th test...he really should play one more game. Testimonial maybe?

Also I hate Australia in all sports as they're both terrible winners (league, rugby and, most of all, cricket) and losers. Your national sides are full of absolute douche bags like Warner, Haddin, Greg Bird, Michael Ennis, Gallen, Cooper...also your stable of idiot tennis players.

I loving hate Richie "What's that, playing the ball off my feet? Don't mind if I do!" McCaw.
But he's a champion and if he has a testemonial against Australia I hope it's in Christchurch and I hope NZ wins like 70-0.

As to the other thing: We learned from the best. Thanks England!

Ewar Woowar posted:

Also I find it funny that they have about six times the population of NZ, invest a huge amount more into sports but are either worse than us or only slightly better.

This comment is amazingly stupid. It's like a hot take but you lit the garbage bin on fire to make it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I follow Australian Rugby, I just struggle to enjoy watching the Wallabies lose because apparently the NSW front row has never seen a scrum before.

Also, gently caress the Waratahs.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

You're right, the Aussies left more of the native population alive.

Hence, American guilt for me...

But, I mean, here's my rundown:

1. former British colony where they dumped a lot of undesirables

2. love barbecue

3. lots of them play or watch a weird sport they call "football" that no one else in the world cares about

4. um...Bali is like Australia's Cancun

5. I dunno I think that's all I got. But the barbecue and football comparison is solid, clearly

6. Have an impressively racist "national tone"

7. Have similar levels of morbid obesity

Against that:
1. Police Officers and Guns
2. Guns in general
3. Healthcare
4. Education
5. "unemployment benefits"
6. Occasionally actually good at Rugby
7. Have beaten New Zealand in the last 50 years

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Living overseas this year has really opened up my eyes as to just how much people hate McCaw. Not looking forward to probably being outnumbered by Aussies when I watch the game this weekend.

I can understand why New Zealanders love him, but I remember there being a minor shitstorm about George Smith playing the ball of his feet... AND THATS WHAT RICHIE MCCAW DOES HE JUST NEVER GETS CAUGHT (he does other things that are on the boundary, like his "never" being offside and all that).

For real though, probably the best Flanker of all time and one of the best leaders of all time. A legend of the highest calibre.
Just wish he pulled on the Green and Gold instead of the Black and... er... black.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

McCaw is a cheating oval office, but I wish he was our cheating oval office.

Australian Rugby fans think like this.
Australians who occasionally watch the Wallabies just focus on the first part.

There aren't really many Australian Rugby fans.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Flip side, do you honestly think he would have stuck it out for four more years for another bite at a world cup?

Wasn't a big part of his decision to swap based on his desire to play for England in England's world cup?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

By the way, for anyone wanting more insight into the Australians:

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-c...ign=planetgreen

I like how rubbish this theory is.
I mean, it's only true if you take it that Australian developed from English speaking Irish people.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Irish Rugby always sounds like a playthrough of Crusader Kings II.

If you're still playing in Ireland you need to get out of the kiddie pool and into the real world.

Oh hey, it works in multiple spaces!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I played one game in a proper downpour. As a centre, it was atrocious.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I long for the days when England can be swept in the 6N.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

goatface posted:

Ireland. He's going to win it for Ireland.

The real question here is how is he going to win it for Ireland

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I am 100% behind the idea of Quade Cooper playing all his rugby from now on as a part of the New Zealand set up.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Holy poo poo Brumbies.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

https://youtu.be/Z3i0q2n4rZ8

:shrug:

A haka before a football match performed by actors to sell face cream, I don't know where to start.

AC Milan should be happy they will never ever play New Zealand in anything is a good starting point as far as I'm concerned.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I get the feeling that all the poo poo going on behind the scenes is catching up badly with the Horses.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

In happier news the blues are still very bad.

In horrifying news, it looks like the Waratahs might make the finals and ruin Rugby in Australia for another year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

He says it's because they didn't ask. Who the gently caress knows for sure, only a month ago NFL was his life long dream.

NFL contracts are really unsecure, especially if you're a fringe player at best. He was waived at some point last year and the entire NFL collectively said "yeah, nah, gently caress off", so that possibly has something to do with it.

If the ASADA guy isn't lying Hayne probably won't show up in the Olympics except as moral support, but we'll see.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Kiwi whinging is the best. No one seems to mind how the Chiefs put an extra hit on Hooper every single time he was on the ground.

I mean, the Waratahs are always in the wrong so, I'm inclined to agree with the Kiwis.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Commentary on the Brumbies game: "Do we really need Henry Speight and Joey Tomane?".

ITS THE loving SUNWOLVES DON'T BE loving STUPID.

This game is embarrassing.
It is actually making me feel less human for having watched it.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 28, 2016

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

So on the subject of ARU mismanagement, serious question. Not that they're perfect, but my impression is that the heart of the issue is a much reduced player base due to league and AFL. What do you think better management could achieve in the face of this difference between Australia and NZ/SA?

Adopt a much more realistic attitude with regards to the health of the sport in Australia.
The ARU seems, at times, to still wonder where the tidal wave of support from around 2003 went. And why they aren't drenched in money.

The Australian Rugby Championship (or whatever they're calling it) is a huge step in the right direction, as is giving star players the opportunity to play in Europe for money the ARU simply can't afford.

Plucky Brit posted:

How about a series whitewash?

Being humiliated in home World Cup?
(We did it too, it's not a one way jibe)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

League and AFL existed when Australia won 2 WCs iirc?

Vagabundo posted:

Why don't they want to stick around? What are the push factors, and what are the pull factors? Why have the NZRU been able to retain young talent with international experience ranging from Brodie Retallick or Aaron Smith, who are set to play their 50th this coming weekend assuming they're picked, to Patrick Tuipulotu or Lima Sopoaga? Tuipulotu and Sopoaga would likely be constantly bombarded with offers being Pasifika which exempts them from the Kolpak requirements, so why haven't they leaped? Why did Cory Jane stick around for so long, even after he missed out on the All Blacks repeatedly in the last few seasons?

Australian rugby was in rude health in the early 2000s, so what's changed?

Australian Rugby was in rude health when the AFL (which was the Victorian Football League until 1990, and had only really finished expanding to become a national competition in the late 90s with a move from the semi-professionalism that had reigned only really arriving in the early 2000s) and the NRL (having only just gotten out of the "Superleague" War, and also having only just started trying to expand as a national competition) were at their collective weakest. Australian Soccer was a very ethnic thing, and the Wallabies were winning. It's pretty much the Perfecta as far as the ARU goes.

For the rest, the AFL and NRL blow the ARU out in terms of pure money. Rugby got a sweet TV deal, but everyone else got a better one. To quote an SMH article:

quote:

And ARU chief executive Bill Pulver also indicated that the five-year SANZAR package expected to be revealed in the New Year when the last of its 11 contracts are finalised, should be close to $1 billion. The AFL's contract is valued at $2.5b for 2017 to 2022, while the NRL's deal is worth $1.8b for 2018 to 2022.

Super Rugby just feels like it has no exposure in Melbourne and Sydney (and I assume it's the same in Perth and Brisbane). I mean, there are teams there and people know they exist, but aside from 15 seconds on the news, they don't exist on Free-to-Air. And a part of that is the fact that no free-to-air network has the rights to the games and thus no free-to-air network feels like putting in any time pumping it up and alienating the fans who watch for other codes when they could be talking about the other codes and solidifying their markets. Canberra is sort of the exception, but that's mostly because the Brumbies are the only not-constantly-embarrassing team Canberra has (I remember all the teeth gnashing when they went from being the ACT Brumbies to just being the Brumbies, and how insecure Canberra was about losing them to Melbourne or Adelaide).
The Wallabies get a fair bit of exposure because they're the only one of the three main codes who have a national team that actually plays against opposition. Having said that, they lose to New Zealand a lot, and to England a bit, and that's just not acceptable in Australian sport.

How do you fix that?
I don't know, get every kid in Australia to go to cloistered private schools? (I would also suggest growing up in Canberra, but I did that and I'm scarred for life)

I think the real answer is to set up a legitimate pipeline and pathway for kids to come through to the higher levels (at the moment it's a state-comp club to Super Rugby jump, here's to hoping the ARC fixes that) and for the ARU to move to accepting that if they want to be able to invest into grassroots Rugby (at the moment a lot of it is done by private schools), they're going to need to also accept that most of the superstars are not going to play in Australia and to set up a Wallabies framework that fits that into reality. Also, to not be trying to lure over Israel Folau's over from League - they're good but they cost so much money.
And in the mean time, Wallabies fans are going to have to accept that the team is going to suck.

EDIT: Apparently not waking up on Sunday mornings has robbed me of my ability to occasionally watch Waratahs commentary teams dissect why the Brumbies are poo poo and the Waratahs are better on TV.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 21, 2016

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Mate, if you're talking about Offsiders with the occasional Georgina Robinson commentary, you should know that they spend 29 minutes of that show talking about AFL, NRL, Soccer, Cricket, Tennis, AFL, AFL, AFL, NRL, NRL, Swimming, AFL, AFL, Netball, and AFL. Then they spend the last minute dissecting why the Brumbies are poo poo and the Waratahs are better (which is God's own truth, by the way).

When did Offsiders add more than the score when talking about Rugby.

No, apparently Channel 10 replay a game of the week at some point in the morning.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

C'mon horseys...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Oh god, not the Highlanders.