Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
This series has shown that defenses do have a place in modern rugby. The 2nd best team in the Southern Hemisphere was just ground down, tackle by tackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Interviewer: Who was your man of the match?

Eddie Jones: Robshaw and Haskell, the two 6 1/2s.

:lol:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Well at least Scotland didn't Scotland. Looked a bit dozy in the first half but got their poo poo together in the second, Scotlanded a couple of try scoring chances but finished fairly comfortably, even if it wasn't anything spectacular.

Japanese played well though discipline let them down at times. Great speed off the ruck and they're going to be very scary if they keep improving at the rate they are currently.

e: Good to see Finn Russell in the studio, hopefully he's back to full fitness soon after a bad looking injury in the Pro12 semifinal.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 18, 2016

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Anyone have the gif of Hooper throwing sand in Haskell's face?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

bigfoot again posted:

Anyone have the gif of Hooper throwing sand in Haskell's face?

But seriously, did that actually happen?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
https://twitter.com/RichLeighPR/status/744118012349919232

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

gently caress that poo poo. He better cop a ban.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

The Australians were so bad they couldn't even cheat well

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I like that Haskell just completely no-sold it too. Not only cheating but utterly ineffectual cheating.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apparently Hooper didn't throw sand in Haskell's face, just threw it under the scrum to get it out of his hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh1dNE2JtUA

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Classic big dev

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Christ SA are all kinds of poo poo.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

At what point are SA going to realise that kicking long to Ireland is a poo poo idea?

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
mvovo gone at half time, can't really argue with that

e: second punishment substitution, malherbe's off after giving a penalty

tag youre fat fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 18, 2016

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Morne Steyn? Seriously?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Morne Steyn? Seriously?

He's off now. Not that it matters. SA is so so so poo poo there's no way they are coming back from this.

e: I hope the bok selectors are watching this. Players like Whitely and Combrinck should be starting based on form alone.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

They must be really desperate to bring Haley Joel Osment on.

EDIT: Lol. Good D.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 18, 2016

butros
Aug 2, 2007

butros posted:

SA is so so so poo poo there's no way they are coming back from this.

I'm thrilled to be proven wrong.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pretty extraordinary second half performance from the Boks there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
Fallen Rib

butros posted:

He's off now. Not that it matters. SA is so so so poo poo there's no way they are coming back from this.

e: I hope the bok selectors are watching this. Players like Whitely and Combrinck should be starting based on form alone.

That's how I felt at the beginning of the game.
I got to admire the Boks strategy though. Have such a bad first half that the opposing team begins to think that the Boks don't even know how to play rugby. Then lure the Ireland into a false sense of security/sympathy for the Boks, and attack.
It was truly a game two halves. The first half the Boks didn't play as a team and the players on the pitch had no idea what the gently caress they were supposed to be doing out there. Second half they had more of a game plan. That game plan being pass the ball to Whitely and Combrinck.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
16 points up at half time and we throw it away, loving hell. a great first half and then they just fall asleep in the second, it's the loving six nations all over again

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cruden news - he's OK, but will probably sit out next week's test as a precaution

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Maybe we'll see our actual best number 10, Sopoaga.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Smorgasbord posted:

Maybe we'll get in touch with Pau and see our actual best number 10, Colin Slade.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Smorgasbord posted:

Maybe we'll see our actual best number 10, Donald.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Who was that bloke who played one test against Italy? Give him another shot.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Who was that bloke who played one test against Italy? Give him another shot.

Mike Delany currently plays in England for the Newcastle Falcons.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Mike Delany currently plays in England for the Newcastle Falcons.

That test is actually pretty famous. I believe Ben Smith and Wyatt Crokett were also long term causalities of that test.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Maybe we'll see our actual best number 10, Sopoaga.

Not convinced that he is, because I wonder how much of it is Sopoaga, and how much of it is Aaron Smith making him look amazing.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Not convinced that he is, because I wonder how much of it is Sopoaga, and how much of it is Aaron Smith making him look amazing.

I'm fond of Sopoaga, but feel he has bulked up too much and isn't quick enough anymore because of it, making him kick too frequently.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I'm fond of Sopoaga, but feel he has bulked up too much and isn't quick enough anymore because of it, making him kick too frequently.

You do need quite a bit of bulk to play at 10 now though, or otherwise you simply won't last. Since Jonny Wilkinson, 10s have been expected to be a lot more physical (he wasn't the first hard-hitting 10, but he definitely was the one that influenced this shift), and they're also frequently targets for opposition defenders leading to a higher attrition rate. It's actually a testament to how well-conditioned Cruden actually is that he's even lasted this long with his comparatively slight frame, and how well he's managed himself out there.

Swan Curry posted:

16 points up at half time and we throw it away, loving hell. a great first half and then they just fall asleep in the second, it's the loving six nations all over again

The Lions players really changed things once they came on, and it looked like the Irish just couldn't weather the momentum shift that came with the introduction of Ruan Combrinck and Warrem Whiteley.

The Aussie and Irish results are quite interesting, as it shows just how much

1 - the decision by the SARU to allow for overseas players to be selected has left the cupboard fairly bare
They are still producing good, local players, but they were collectively utterly clueless in the first test and the first half on the weekend. It also didn't help that under Meyer, the Springboks would always plump for the same old players, with the promising young players just not getting the opportunity to prove themselves. As soon as they broke through, they'd then get snapped up by a European club or province, who could pay much better, and the Kolpak ruling benefits them, so why wouldn't they hop on the first plane out of Africa? Franco Mostert is a classic example - hasn't even played test rugby, and he'd already been signed to Lyon.
That said, it should be encouraging to them to know that Whiteley and Combrinck can bring it at the test level.

2 - the serious lack of depth and nous coming through in Australia
This series was supposed to be about developing local players and giving them a chance, and I think we're basically seeing the fruits of years of mismanagement coming through. The Wallabies can still occasionally catch teams off-guard by getting the first hit in - case in point the first Bledisloe test from last year - but the English have pretty much shown that they're still far too easy to rattle. They still haven't got the hardcase in the second row either. I guess someone like Rory Arnold was supposed to be that, but compare where he is now to where Eben Etzebeth and Brodie Retallick were at a similar stage in their respective careers.

Oh, and it looks like Pulver has told the AAMI Park management that if they can't sort out their turf quick fast, he will move any future Wallabies fixtures scheduled to be played there to another, more suitable venue.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 19, 2016

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Still can't believe England loving won a series in Australia. Nothing is worse

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So on the subject of ARU mismanagement, serious question. Not that they're perfect, but my impression is that the heart of the issue is a much reduced player base due to league and AFL. What do you think better management could achieve in the face of this difference between Australia and NZ/SA?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Still can't believe England loving won a series in Australia. Nothing is worse

How about a series whitewash?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

So on the subject of ARU mismanagement, serious question. Not that they're perfect, but my impression is that the heart of the issue is a much reduced player base due to league and AFL. What do you think better management could achieve in the face of this difference between Australia and NZ/SA?

Adopt a much more realistic attitude with regards to the health of the sport in Australia.
The ARU seems, at times, to still wonder where the tidal wave of support from around 2003 went. And why they aren't drenched in money.

The Australian Rugby Championship (or whatever they're calling it) is a huge step in the right direction, as is giving star players the opportunity to play in Europe for money the ARU simply can't afford.

Plucky Brit posted:

How about a series whitewash?

Being humiliated in home World Cup?
(We did it too, it's not a one way jibe)

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Schlesische posted:

Being humiliated in home World Cup?

Touché.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Schlesische posted:

Adopt a much more realistic attitude with regards to the health of the sport in Australia.
The ARU seems, at times, to still wonder where the tidal wave of support from around 2003 went. And why they aren't drenched in money.

The Australian Rugby Championship (or whatever they're calling it) is a huge step in the right direction, as is giving star players the opportunity to play in Europe for money the ARU simply can't afford.

They have managed to gain a big payday from broadcast rights, so it'll be an issue of where this is funnelled.

There also needs to be an inquiry into the governance of the individual Super Rugby franchises, and stricter control over them, as well as better support at the grassroots and school level to encourage player numbers, even if it operates at a loss on a short-term basis, and they'll need to address the issues surrounding their struggles to retain young talent year after year.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

These are all fine suggestions, they really are. But they have nothing to do with the underlying issue which is a vastly reduced player pool due to other sports. Compared to our SH peers, NZ and SA, in NZ Rugby is pretty much the only sport, and in SA, among thre Rugby heartland (i.e. Afrikaners) it is the number one sport and number two with the population as a whole.

Compare this to Australian Rugby which loses most players to league and some to AFL (want to talk about our problems at lock?). As you say, Vagabundo, "they'll need to address the issues surrounding their struggles to retain young talent year after year", but what exactly can they do other than affect it marginally?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

League and AFL existed when Australia won 2 WCs iirc?

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

These are all fine suggestions, they really are. But they have nothing to do with the underlying issue which is a vastly reduced player pool due to other sports. Compared to our SH peers, NZ and SA, in NZ Rugby is pretty much the only sport, and in SA, among thre Rugby heartland (i.e. Afrikaners) it is the number one sport and number two with the population as a whole.

Compare this to Australian Rugby which loses most players to league and some to AFL (want to talk about our problems at lock?). As you say, Vagabundo, "they'll need to address the issues surrounding their struggles to retain young talent year after year", but what exactly can they do other than affect it marginally?

Why don't they want to stick around? What are the push factors, and what are the pull factors? Why have the NZRU been able to retain young talent with international experience ranging from Brodie Retallick or Aaron Smith, who are set to play their 50th this coming weekend assuming they're picked, to Patrick Tuipulotu or Lima Sopoaga? Tuipulotu and Sopoaga would likely be constantly bombarded with offers being Pasifika which exempts them from the Kolpak requirements, so why haven't they leaped? Why did Cory Jane stick around for so long, even after he missed out on the All Blacks repeatedly in the last few seasons?

Australian rugby was in rude health in the early 2000s, so what's changed?