Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Grand Fields Academy of Arts Greets Welcoming Class 2015

As technology eclipses yet another vision of the future thought to only be a fantasy for television shows to be written about, the acceptance of magic in the first world doesn't seem quite so fantastic. Magic in politics remains another issue entirely, but of course it does. Magic schools haven't been a secret since your grandparents were your age, which means they can't get away from skipping over the usual required studies like they did. All the really cool spells you see in books and movies require such intensive study to get right that you'd basically be getting your graduate's in teleportation, and magic has gotten into enough bloodlines that, while still rare, the simple rotes your mother taught you aren't about to net you a good job on their own merits.

A Grand Fields Dorm. The Academy looks far older than it feels.

Magic school's still school, and whether you cared enough about it or your parents made you have to care enough about it, you're part of Grand Fields Academy of Arts' newest Welcoming Class. The building's centuries older than its atmosphere, supposedly to 'preserve the ley lines', though it's obvious the budget's going towards keeping things on the cutting edge of technology instead of renovating the creaky bits. Keeps the place from looking like a drab office building like most new buildings nowadays, at least.

Assuming everything goes according to plan, you'll be here for the next four years for general schooling and intermediate magical arts. After that, who knows? Right now you should probably focus on getting the classes you want, like the orientation lady's telling you right now.

Micha Borros, Charms and Glamours Instructor, Second Year of Instruction. Glamoured, as usual.

"...and don't worry too much if you don't get everything you wanted, you've still got plenty of time to get it all in eventually. Just try to pick what you'd like! And, ah, well, do make sure you get what you need, because it's no good trying to catch up on the basics later... But, you know, I'm sure you're all mostly excited for the arts, but it's probably best to aim for a three to one split for general education to arts, and, well..."

The young instructor talks in circles a bit longer while walking around to help people with questions. As you look at your tablet you pretty quickly realize almost all the interesting classes are already full. Still, it doesn't look entirely bleak. Just mostly.

Welcome to a Monsterhearts recruit, because I thought this would be a better immediate idea than super sentai idols in OVA, and am kind of curious how GMing Monsterhearts feels. Given how big this system is around here, everyone looking at this probably already knows the drill. There's still some specifics I'd like to highlight regardless.

Setting/Tone: Rather than being supernatural people with problems in a pile of normal people, you're magic people with problems in a pile of magic people. Your issues are distinct and would stand out even amongst a student body full of magicians, whether those problems be magical, personality based, curses, uncontrollable fits of magic more advanced than you should be dealing with, so on and so forth. You're also in the present day and well off enough to attend a pretty solid, longstanding school for the magical arts. Almost certainly everyone has a smartphone, and the school itself is pretty well equipped.

For tone, I tend to lean more towards goofy messes and supernatural poo poo going bad rather than spiteful teen drama and violence. I'm just being realistic here and it's probably how I'll end up leaning things whether I mean to or not, so it's worth being up front about it!

Playbook Considerations: Everything core and Second Skins is cool except for the Chosen. The Chosen infers a style of play that doesn't quite match how I see things going down and kind of forces the game into a specific path. The playbook itself suggests it might not be a fit for every game, and I don't think it will be for this one.

The Mortal is still a magician. They remain out of place in the pile of other players with seriously messed up problems and they remain just as reliant on others as usual, but they're still capable of casting magic at a great enough competency to be granted admission into a good magic school. Magic is an action for anyone and triggers suitable moves based on the fiction.

Any third party stuff could be fine, just ask and I'll let you know.

Remember, It's a Game: "Don't be weird" doesn't work as a catchall for Monsterhearts because then nothing would happen, so I'm not going to say that. Even with my more lighthearted bent as a player and GM, Monsterhearts can still get kinda real in some bad ways. Remember that this is a game and one of your goals as a player is to make this fun for everyone. The ideas behind the X Card work and you should put them into practice if you feel the need, but it can be hard to do, especially if you're someone who hasn't interacted with it much and doesn't have it sitting on a physical table in front of them. If you're having trouble with the game, speak up. I can write as much as I want here in as many ways as I can think, but it always depends on people actually putting this into play. Games are more fun when everyone's having fun.

With all that said, I'm looking for a decent sized group of people to play a bunch of dumb witch teens and place bets on how fast the school is going to go up in flames. Tell me a few things in addition to the usual application bits:
  • Who are you most worried about here?
  • What class are you most excited about?
  • What did you totally screw up related to your skin's innate problems that you're glad definitely nobody knows about at this new school?

If you have questions, post them. If you have questions that matter if specific other people see them, private message me here or over #synirc. The majority of questions will fall into the former, and I would rather they be asked and answered here so that everyone can reference them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
You know, I keep seeing Monsterhearts pop up. I kind of want to try it out now. You okay with newbies?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Yami Fenrir posted:

You know, I keep seeing Monsterhearts pop up. I kind of want to try it out now. You okay with newbies?

Go hog wild. That was more or less my reason for trying it out.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Carol Bleak, the Lich (Ghoul)

I woke up to my alarm clock ringing. As I opened my eyes, I realized my little brother Leo had snuggled up to me. He usually comes to me when he can't sleep, you see. We're quite close. He's got a little bit of a teasing streak, but he'll grow out of it, I'm sure.

Why is that relevant, you ask? Well, you see. While him and I are quite inseparable... I sadly don't share that relationship with my limbs. It appears he pulled off my legs and hid them somewhere. AGAIN.

Oh, you didn't know? I'm a Lich. Reattaching limbs is as easy as plugging them back in. Unfortunately, it also means they're easier to pull off. You can't really do it by accident, but it's easy to do once you know how. And Leo absolutely loves to tease me with it.

Leo, for gods sake, wake up. LEO.

What's up? You know exactly what's wrong! Give me back my bloody legs, now! I'm going to be late for school!

Yes, I know you don't want me to go. I know you're going to be lonely, But I have to. Hey, stop, don't leave. Come on, Leo. LEO!

Goddamnit... Daaaaaad, Leo stole my legs again!

While I wait for someone to bring me back my legs, why don't I explain a little bit more about myself and my family? There's Leo, Susanne, Dad, Mom, my Uncle, and, uhm... I guess that's too many for now. Well, let's just go with the important bits: I'm the oldest sibling here, and I'm just not one of these mean big sisters. Just don't have it in me, really.

And Dad? He's the entire reason I'm a Lich. Oh, right, I never explained that, did I? Basically, it's like this. House Bleak's a somewhat failing noble family on the verge of disappearing entirely. As such, he wants a talented successor. Apparently, I'm supposed to be that successor. I'm still not sure what he sees in me, to be honest, but hey, I'll go with it. He was really scared of me dying in an accident or worse, so he told Mom to turn me into a Lich. Didn't have much chose in the matter, but, ehh... I don't really care anymore.

Now, the thing is he's really overprotective. Even with this, he doesn't really let me go outside much. Which is kind of crazy because I got like twenty phylacteries, but that's him for you. I'm actually really looking forward to making some friends at that school. And, for that I figure I should leave a good first impression. And being late doesn't give one. Ugh... Leo, why do you have to be this clingy....

Ah, but I'm blabbering on. See you at Grand Fields! Sooner rather than later, hopefully.

Have you found them yet?!

quote:

Who are you most worried about here?

Honestly, my father. He's so very protective of me, and I'm worried he'll do something stupid to try and 'keep me safe', like trying to alienate my friends or bribe teachers or whatever. Chances are, It'll get me far more attention than necessary.

quote:

What class are you most excited about?
Anima. The driving force behind motion. It's used in many things, such as creating golems, setting up automated defense systems, or more complex magical things that take a long time to activate. Not to mention the fact that necromancy is technically a heavily restricted sub-type of it, and I'd like to know more about the forces that animate me. From what I've heard, becoming a Lich is only allowed for medical reasons - which of course means anyone that really wants to can become one.

Also, uhm, Telekinesis and/or Levitation. For, well, you know... certain reasons.

quote:

What did you totally screw up related to your skin's innate problems that you're glad definitely nobody knows about at this new school?
Well... due to my undeath, I'm lacking a few senses. Taste, smell, the hot/cold sense and... most importantly, pain. This got me into a situation where I accidentally hacked off a few fingers while cooking without realizing it thanks to a distraction. Let's just say... I had to throw away that soup. I mean, it's a good thing I can just stick them back on, but uhm... whoops! Sure hope this won't happen if they have a cooking class here...

Anyway, this kind of stuff happens far more often that it should. I'm pretty careful, but I don't do well with distractions at all.

pre:
Name: Carol Bleak
Look: thin, calculating eyes
Origin: resurrected (quite often)

Hungers
Power

Moves
The Hunger
You have a Hunger for Power.
When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. 
When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

Disaffected
When you turn someone on, roll with cold.

Phylactery (Short Rest for the Wicked)
When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Stats
Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Volatile: 1
Dark: -1

Darkest Self
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger.
You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you,
or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an additional Hunger. 
If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Experience:

[] [] [] [] []

Harm:

[] [] [] []

Strings:

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 21, 2015

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Tentative interest post. Probably for a Calaca.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Wahad posted:

Tentative interest post. Probably for a Calaca.

The Calaca feels like a lot of stat replacers and a use case for Gaze that anyone could more or less do but avoiding the inherent fun of playing mystic Telephone with something super important, both glued onto an interesting premise that isn't really used. I don't see why you couldn't do almost everything the Calaca does, including being a skeleton, as a different skin with the most you'd possibly lose being the hot/dark stat spread. I think I'd rather not see it used, though I have no issue with the themes behind it. Sorry!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Interest posting. May app a Fae

E: or a Hollow

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 11, 2015

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Aw, screw it. I'll state my tentative interest too. May make a Sasquatch, may change my mind about applying to this entirely.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I'll give it a shot. Not sure about which skin (or Witch?).

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

oh gosh! Appin' to this~(maybe a fae or a refluffed werewolf?)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If anyone is interested in goonbrewed skins here's the master list

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11UXb_aVhbh2R9uVt6MVqTFFp-9yk1r5HDzZ9_ILj604/edit

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am looking at the Djinn, linked in the doc above.

Zaid Abdul-Karim ibn Abdul-Samad

You understand, of course. My family's...hard to contact. Sorcerers? In a way, yes. In a way. My - well, my uncle raised me. We call him my uncle, anyway. My parents are...not around any more. Not dead, just...out of contact. Uncle Yusuf says that he's trying to find them still, but I'm not really confident about that. I guess he'd tell me it'd be as Allah wills. We'll see how that goes. My point, though, is that my uncle signed the forms. I know I'm not - traditionally human. I was told it wouldn't be a problem. Look, I'm bound properly. No dangers.

Look, my - my cousin is at the school already. No, she's not my real cousin. She's Uncle Yusuf's daughter. Layla bint Yusuf, she should be on your roster? She's a year older than me. Look, she's the one I'm - you know, officially bound to. I know all of us are supposed to have a partner. To keep, you know, the magic from getting out of control. I've followed all the rules there. Just look it up, okay? Yes, I'm a djinn, but it's fine. It's fine, I swear. Yeah, yeah, I know, no recursive summoning, I can't even do that. That's why I'm coming here! To learn how to control it all! I mean, Uncle Yusuf gave me lessons already, but for the finer stuff. You saw my grades.

Yeah, okay, glad we've got that taken care of. Honestly, you'd think they dealt with just human wizards most of the time.

quote:

Being honest? Layla's up there. I mean, she has my ring. I love her, don't get me wrong, she's great and I grew up with her, but she's...well, she's not always the most careful. If someone else got ahold of my ring...that would be a problem. I don't really know anyone else there right now - Layla's talked some in her emails, but it'll be my first time there. Still, I'm good at making friends, so...no problems, right? I mean, I just...I just have to give them what they want.

People like that. I mean, they like me. For doing that.

Hopefully, she hasn't made any enemies that I have to deal with. Hopefully.

quote:

Elementalism. Uncle Yusuf says that commanding the elements is in my nature. Especially fire. Smokeless fire, you know? But I'm looking forward to learning how to actually do all that stuff. It looks really impressive. Please, it might give people something to notice besides, you know, the obvious. Yeah, I grant wishes. That's not all I can do, you know!

quote:

What did you totally screw up related to your skin's innate problems that you're glad definitely nobody knows about at this new school?

So, um. That whole ring thing.

That's...not the only way to bind a djinni. It's the one that gives us the most freedom, which is nice because we...kind of have a tendency to go a little crazy if we're not bound somehow. Too much power, you know? The ring keeps most of my power tamped down, so I just get the whole wish-granting thing. Mostly. Most of the time. Have to learn anything else, like a human.

But you can bind djinn in a summoning circle. Lots of power, but they can't leave unless you break the circle. At which point you have an unbound djinni on your hands. And that's, um.

That's not good.

Like international arcane regulations not good.

I mean, the whole 'blow up a city by accident' thing only happened three times in recorded history. Usually it's not so bad as all that! Just, you know, an increasingly unstable and erratic magical being wandering around, slowly losing their human perspective.

So, I found a binding ring in the basement. I didn't think anything was bound there. Uncle Yusuf didn't even know about it - it was behind an old secret door I found by accident. Yusuf's family has been summoners for a long, long time.

I think I woke the bound djinni up. I don't know if that's a he or a she or what. I didn't see them, just...I just felt them.

And I kind of accidentally scuffed the markings and released them.

Uncle Yusuf doesn't...know about that.

quote:

Look: Slightly foreign, smoldering eyes.
Origin: Family of djinn.

Stats
Hot 1
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark 2
Resentment 0

Moves
Friend Like Me
You have the power to grant wishes, if they have been phrased as a wish or expressed as a desire directly to you. Your wishes cannot heal Harm, but through manipulation of the fiction could cure Conditions. As you fulfill the dreams of others instead of your own, your resentment eventually becomes too much to bear. You have a fifth stat, Resentment, to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. If at any time you would take a fourth point of Resentment, instead become your Darkest Self. When you grant a wish during your Darkest Self, reduce your Resentment by one. You can only ever lose one point of Resentment per scene. When you leave your Darkest Self, set your Resentment to 0.

When you attempt to grant a wish, tell the MC what you have in mind, and roll +Dark. On a 10+, the wish is granted according to your interpretation, but there may be side effects. On a 7-9, the wish is granted in a manner similar to what you outlined, but pick one:
~you have to pay an associated price,
~someone else has to pay an associated price,
~you mark 1 point of Resentment and enter your darkest self.

Afterwards:
~If they genuinely thank you, take a string on them.
~If not, they gain a string on you, and you mark 1 point of Resentment.

Monkey Paw
When you twist the words or spirit of a wish to mess with someone, tell the MC what you have in mind and roll +Dark. On a 10+, the twisted wish succeeds and you may act as though you had rolled a 10+ to shut them down or remove 1 point of Resentment. On a 7-9, you succeed and remove 1 point of Resentment, but pick one from the list:
~You take the condition Drained;
~You take one harm;
~You get caught up in the twist.

Djinn in a Bottle
You've been bound to a trinket--a bottle, a lamp, a ring, or something similar. It can be stolen, but never destroyed. You can only take it back from whoever holds it if they give it directly to you. If you freely give your trinket to someone new, take a string on them. When the bearer of your trinket gives you a command, they choose:
~You mark experience if you follow their command;
~You must hold steady to refuse their command.
Either way, carry 1 forward if you attempt to fulfill their demands.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, treat it as if you had granted them a wish as per Friend Like Me.

Darkest Self
They like your things, but they don’t like you. They’re too busy fawning over your gifts, taking advantage of your generosity, to even care about the one who put them where they stand now. Maybe it’s time for your “gifts” to do the talking for you. Grant every desire you hear that could be even tenuously interpreted as a wish. Make sure every wish granted has an unexpected and unfortunate twist. If someone had the gall to steal your trinket, they should be your prime target.

You may grant wishes using Friend Like Me without prompting to grant them the worst and most twisted version of what you think they desire, if you do, remove one point of Resentment, even if you already have this scene.

Exit your Darkest Self when your Resentment stat reaches 0 or when someone proves that they like you for you, not for what you can do for them.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 13, 2015

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I'm interested. I've been hoping for a chance to get back into playing MH. If one of the goonbrewed skins under "ready for playtesting" is okay, I've got this idea for a spin on the Idol.

MrNekomata
Apr 1, 2012
Jayson Weirdbloom, The witch

Ha ha, oh my! Where should I even start? This family has been going here for generations and I am no exception to the the rule. I can remember hearing stories about this place from old grandmother Rose, especially those of the antics she had gotten up to back in the day. My parents being no exception to those tales as well, hopefully that doesn't jade the family name too much before they get to know me. It can't possibly be the same as back then compared today's Academy, can it? Can't see how holding my head up high as I can and pressing my nose against the grind stone wouldn't be a recipe of success! Still, you can't get perfection with out breaking a few eggs along the way... Or in my case accidentally setting some fires with misjudging measurements the right mix to alchemical formulea. Heh he, that's uh, a story for another time. The point is not to let it discourage you and keep on, keeping on!

The academy should be a wonderful place to start a fresh with new faces. Nothing can go wrong with best wishes heaped on my shoulders like parting laurels and a decent sash of instant coffee. Having been told by friends and family alike that I have natural talent and proper training would only make it blossom into more magnificent sight to behold. I mean this is the perfect environment for me grow my innate skills and as a person, at least from what I've gathered. That is... Kinda the point to schools now isn't it. Not like anyone has ever died here, right?

Character Sheet posted:

Name: Jayson 'Jace' Weirdbloom
Look: Coy, Playful eyes
Skin: Witch
Origin: Gifted

Stats:

Hot:-1
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark:1

Darkest Self:

The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Sex Move:

After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and it’s cool.

Moves:

-Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

-Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one: the casting does you 1 harm; }the Hex has unexpected side effects; }trigger your Darkest Self.

-Bide My Time
If you’ve got a sympathetic token against someone, add 1 to all rolls to hold steady against their actions or to run away from them.

Hexes:
-Binding
The person cannot physically harm others.

-Ring of Lies

Whenever the person attempts to lie, they hear a piercing ringing noise. Big lies will often make their knees buckle and disorient them. Severe lies can cause harm or even brain damage.

Advancements:

Your Backstory:

You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide whose and what they are.

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friend’s stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.

question 1 posted:

>Who are you most worried about here?

Honestly, messing up the first impression. You know they say you only have one chance to do it properly and who would want be know as the stumbling idiot for the rest of their time spent with those hallowed halls. Certainly not I for one. Along with having a jaded and bias instructor's opinion of me wouldn't help when trying my hardest in everything I do. Why did you have to ask such a stressful question!?

question 2 posted:

>What class are you most excited about?

I'd say summoning, if I had to be completely honest. Then again it may had gotten overly romantically hyped from what I had read. A contracted familiar to aid in tasks, and goes know I'm how short handed I am these days trying to get things done with the hours seeming to grow so short. Along with curing some the loneliness of day to day life, then again I might be asking for too much.

question 3 posted:

>What did you totally screw up related to your skin's innate problems that you're glad definitely nobody knows about at this new school?

[WIP]

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Hypatia Lagrange, the Mad Scientist

Huh? What? It's my turn to introduce myself? Oh sorry let me just- oops, sorry! That should wash right out. I think. It's still experimental! Anyways let me know if you experience any side effects! Oh, excuse me-

Hello everyone! My name is Hypatia Lagrange. I'll be attending Grand Fields this semester as a first year. I've been looking forward to it forever! Well, not literally, obviously. But almost as long as I can remember. I really like learning about magic and technology, and how to use them together! It's so interesting. Don't you think? Exploring the limits of knowledge! Inventing new things! Pushing the boundaries of science and magic!

And Grand Fields is the best place for it! I'm really looking forward to getting to work in the labs. And to the classes. I already read two of the text books, everything is so fascinating! And so is everyone here! This is going to be best year ever!

Anyways if anyone is interested in participating in some experiments, I'm always happy to have more test subj- I mean, friends!

Character Sheet posted:

Name: Hypatia
Origin: Natural born genius
Look: First thing out of the wardrobe, observant eyes, dexterous hands

Stats:
Hot+0, Cold+1, Volatile-1, Dark+1

Moves:

The Pigeonhole Principle: If a target of one of your moves has no conditions, add 1 to any roll that would directly establish a condition on them and subtract 1 from all other rolls against them. When you Hold Steady add 1 to the roll if you exemplify a condition on yourself.

For Science!: Add 1 to rolls to find something out, whether a research/Gaze into the Abyss montage, manipulating someone into spilling beans, or a skin move like a Slayer’s Hitting the Books.

I can not function without data: Whenever you take something apart to see what makes it tick roll +Dark. On a 10+ choose 2, on a 7-9 choose 1
* You can put it back together
* You find a new use for it (or the parts)
* You discover something about its purpose or maker

Sex Move:
You learn from anyone and anything; for the purpose of interaction you are treated as having the other person’s sex move if applicable. You don’t know the rules of the game but are capable of working something out.

If their sex move is completely inapplicable (e.g. by triggering a stat you don’t have) or they have none (e.g. because they are an NPC) gain a string on them when you have sex with them.

Darkest Self:
People are weird, and you want to analyse them. Either under as complex stresses as you can manage or by picking a target, isolating them to ensure controlled conditions (a control subject is optional), then testing stress point by stress point. You leave your Darkest Self when someone convinces you they are like you in important ways.

Not everything about Grand Fields is perfect. Cynthia Foncenex used to be a friend of mine, but things kind of went wrong in junior high, I guess? It mean, it was only one little explosion, and totally an accident! I didn't mean to wreck the athletics shed! And really, even magic sports aren't nearly as interesting as experiments. Cynthia didn't really agree with that though, and no she won't talk to me. I hope she doesn't mind if I still watch her matches. If I have time between experiments, I mean.

All of them! Oh wait you said most. Alchemy - no, Theory of Magic! It's the basis of everything, after all! Well, everything magical. We don't really get to the neat parts of physics until later, but even the basic parts of magic are really fun.

• What did you totally screw up related to your skin's innate problems that you're glad definitely nobody knows about at this new school?
Probably best that no one knows about that other accident. The one where I kind of sort of mixed up the ingredients for a potion of invisibility, and then my our dog got into it. Gregor is mostly back to the right color now! And since you couldn't really look at him without getting a migraine, I don't think anyone realized he was my dog while he was running around loose.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 17, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alexandria le Faye, the Scion

Excuse me. What, dare I ask, are you looking at? I know it's fascinating seeing someone so above you but please! I'm sure you'd love to get an in with the richest and soon to be most popular girl in school, but you're going to have to get in line like all the other commoners.

What's that? Who do I think I am? Who do you think you are?! Have you never heard of the le Faye family? Of le Faye Alchemics? Our family is the leading supplier of alchemic products and potion ingredients, descended from Morgan le Faye herself! And I am Alexandria, the heir to that fortune. Not only that, I'm naturally gifted, smart, funny, beautiful, elegant, high-cultured, and altogether far more than the likes of this school deserves.

Listen, I don't think I'm better than you. I just am. And you're going to have to get used to that. Pretty soon, I'll have this entire school eating out of my hand, students and teachers. So it's probably a good idea to get in my good graces now, before it's too late.

quote:

Look: Condescending eyes, intimidating
Origin: Blood of heroes

Moves:

Kick rear end, Look Good

When you roll a 10+ on any move, you can choose to apply the condition to up to two people who watched you. For each one pick ;
~they take a string on you
~you get the Braggart condition
~you suffer one harm.

This can only happen for each move once a session.

Star of the Show
When someone with the Outclassed condition attempts to roll to Shut You Down, Lash Out Physically at you, or against your forced Hold Steady, subtract one from their rolls. When someone with the Outclassed condition attempts to Turn You On or Gaze Into The Abyss about you give them a +1 Forward to doing so, so long as they show reverence to how wonderful you are.

NPCs instead act at a disadvantage.

Show Them Their Place
The Scion can remove the Condition Outclassed from someone to roll to Shut Them Down with Hot. On a 10+ they must Hold Steady to act against you, as if you spent a String on that, in addition to the normal Shut Down results. On a 7-9, treat the Shut Them Down as normal.

Stats:

Hot: +1
Cold: -1
Volatile: +2

Darkest Self

Everything is now a competition, and you need to prove you’re the best. Every word someone says that isn’t respecting you is a challenge to your superiority, and you’re going to show them their mistake. You will accept any challenge, real or implied, and should never accept a loss - if you did not win, it is clear others have cheated you, and must be punished. You leave Darkest Self when either you - sacrifice something important to yourself to win, or lose so thoroughly no one could argue it.

Sex Move

When you have sex, give them the Condition Outclassed. If they already have the Condition Outclassed, both mark Experience.

I can't believe Angelica Pendragon is going to be in my class! We haven't seen each other in years... You see, she was...my friend as a child. However, she's way lower status than I am. We just played together because we were in kindergarten together! It looks like she's become quite the nerd as well...I can't have her trying to get close to me and ruining my reputation as a le Faye!

Potions, of course! As you might be able to tell, I have a natural affinity for potions. I mean, (Points at sign that says "le Faye Potions Lab") hello~? But don't worry. If you want me to tutor you, I suppose I might, if you're cool enough. Just try your best to keep up and don't get mad at me if I wreck the curve for you.

Well, at my last school, there was this talent contest. I was a lock to win, but...I got second place. Can you imagine? Me?! Second place?! I was so mad that I pounced on the first place winner and attacked them! ....And I got suspended for two weeks. Daddy was quite cross with me after that. I don't want anyone here to know about that...crassness. It was a momentary slip and doesn't represent me at all, I assure you.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 13, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Would it be okay if I applied with a Black Hearted? I haven't been able to playtest it yet.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 13, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Probably gonna app a Wyrm, soon as I get the chance.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
It'd be ideal if people linked me their third-party skins in their posts so I don't have to go digging to find out what you're talking about.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Done.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Idol, Mad Scientist, and Djinn are all pretty cool and I'm down with letting them in. Scion direly needs to be beaten over the head with an editing club but I like what it's doing so I'll let it in with the caveat that I might swing that club if I see the need.

Re: Wahad via IRC since I don't see you on there right now, Gentry's fine to me.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Cal Razorwing Jr
The Wyrm

It started because they wouldn’t let me in the library anymore. The collecting, I mean. The transformation is a result of your world’s scale, no pun intended. I can’t operate at my normal size and my wings get in the way and it’s all a big to do, so like most of my family, I learned from an early age to assume a human guise. But it can be hard to hold that form, especially when someone is being rude and needs to be put in their place and reminded that a bargain is a bargain.

After my father spent what he considered to be an unreasonable portion of his horde to replace the library, I was forbidden from ever setting foot there again. I don’t think it was really a fair punishment, because it could have happened anywhere and to anyone, but he’s much bigger than I am, so it’d be a bad idea to cross him. But it’s not like I was just going to sit there and stare at the wall. So I started building a library of my own. If I couldn’t go there, it would come to me.

I won’t say it got out of hand, because have you seen the size of my parent’s gold pile? And even though they can go through each coin and tell you the complete history of every empire that the coin came from, and every person who touched it, I don’t see how a horde of books is any less useful.

Transporting it to school was a bit of a problem. My roommate, though, was cool about the whole thing. He’s been slowly working his way through a complete collection of some comic series I don’t even remember buying.

quote:

Baron Redscale, my father’s best frienemy. They were classmates here back in the 1600s, and still reminisce about the days when they would go stealing cows and burning barns for fun. That seems really mean and unnecessary to me, but I know what they’re expecting, and I know he’ll be bragging or complaining to my pop about me at every opportunity.

quote:

Transformation! Getting this whole thing under better control would be a lot off my mind. Plus, how cool would it be if I could turn into a cat or a bird or something? The human form is kinda useful, but come on, is that really all we got?

quote:

Well... I tried playing the power broker at my old school. I was the guy everyone talked to to get gossip about everyone. This was before the books thing, before I retreated into the library. I was just a kid. One of the teacher’s found out that I was gossiping and lying and telling people things being one another’s back, and she gave me a big dressing down. It was one of the most embarrassing things I’ve ever lived through. Sure, I still do it... But to get caught like that...

quote:

Collected
Sly eyes
In the blood

Hot -1
Cold 2
Volatile -1
Dark 1

Moves

Bargaining Ceremony
Drinking tea, sharing a cigarette, playing chess, or sitting back to back are all ceremonies.
When negotiating a bargain during a ceremony, both of you can offer Strings as part of that bargain. This can include Strings you have on others, or new Strings that you generate on yourselves. When you're both satisfied, the exchange occurs.

The Bait
You have a collection of beautiful things – maybe zines, jazz records, or old jewelry. When you show it to someone, they inevitably find something they fancy. They will mark experience when it becomes theirs and is no longer yours. Also, choose one:
--they see something someone else would like, and when you show that someone the something, carry one forward against them,
--the time has flown by and it's hours later than you thought.

Wingman
When you wax poetic about the beauty of another PC, that other PC rolls to turn on the person you're talking to.

Scales
Once per session, you can transform into a terrifying beast of talons and coils. Give yourself the Condition secretly vulnerable. While transformed, you can roll to lash out physically with dark, except do as much harm as you like. When the scene ends, you collapse back into your human form.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, read them this: "Choose at least one thing from this list, and for each that you choose, describe something I learn about you from our intimacy:
--Give me a String on you, and take something from my collection.
--Give me a String on you, and take a String on me as well.
--Give me a String on you, and I'll promise you anything you'd like.
--Give me a String on you, and then give me a Condition."

Darkest Self
You've become too heady, too lax, too vague. You need to dominate one of the people-things that you treasure, let it know that it's yours, that it doesn't get to choose who owns it – you do. You escape your Darkest Self when your treasured thing proves that you don't own it entirely, or when you see the difference between objects and people.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 21, 2015

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

sentrygun posted:

It'd be ideal if people linked me their third-party skins in their posts so I don't have to go digging to find out what you're talking about.

Here it is, if you need it for reference at some point.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B_sZ_9tHN7S9N4vkIEszIJhGsCE-FZMH0slG3jvvtD4/edit

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Whoops, missed one. Black Hearted is also go.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Bridgette Mallory, the Idol

quote:

Look: Sunglasses (usually regular ones, actually), Trapped
Origin: Chosen by the Galaxy

Moves:

Fanbase (True Love)
(You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s heart or fancy.)

Instead of a True Love, you have a Fanbase. They function like a True Love (you can switch them, for example, perhaps with a dramatic artistic style change) but:

-When you roll to manipulate them as a whole, “impressing me” is a valid motivation.
On a 7-9 you can pick an option below instead of delivering tangibles:
-Their actions will quickly get out of hand;
-The media catches wind;
-Their families will know you put them up to it.

Heart of Controversy
When someone gives you a condition relating to your appearance or reputation, spend a string on someone nearby. That person feel the opposite way and rolls to shut down your critic. If it’s an NPC, they instead act against that person.

Downward Spiral
When you gaze into the abyss, you may cause yourself 1 harm. If you do, add 2 to your roll.

Stats:

Cold: 0
Dark: +1

Darkest Self

Nobody understands you, or even wants to. They’d rather you disappear. Well, you’re not going to disappear. You’re going to make life a living hell for them. You’ll betray the wicked to the judges, the weak to the executioners. You’ll pit humans and supernaturals against one another, until everyone looks like monsters. Only seeing the pain that you’re causing your lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, trigger their Darkest Self.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 13, 2015

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Coming here, expectations were high - not for me, of course. I know full well the swamp of inanity I've been pushed into. But my Parents were quite elated to send me to such a prestigious magical academy. While the rest of those surrounding me probably barely have a trace of magic in their blood, mine is positively singing with it. That is the benefit of being more than mortal waste, after all. Elegance in all things.

Still, it feels like in my current situation, I've been stifled more than anything. Rules at school mean many of my gifts will have to go unused, and I shall be forced to rely on most of the parlor tricks my human classmates will be using. Because if there's anything my Parents have properly instructed me on, it is to always follow the Rules. No matter where I am, no matter what they are. I am to be a paragon of excellence, for all those around me to look up to.

Still...perhaps there will be a chance for me to exercise my birthright. Favors are always needed, after all. Shall we see how quickly the masses will catch on that I can give them things they will not obtain anywhere else?

Well, true to my Parents' paranoid and controlling nature, they have one of their friends watching over me, to make sure I stay in line. The good - and bad - news is that it's one of the professors; Carmella Osborn, an shapeshifter without peer and teacher for Transformation and Transmutation. Hopefully she'll be too busy with academical work to keep a good eye on me, but her power means she could be anybody or anything in my vicinity.

While few of these "classes" should be a mental challenge in any way, shape or form, I think Natural Magic shall be the least boring; to draw on the power of the earth, channel it as it was meant to be used...it is the magic that lies closest to my own, and will, hopefully, be a way for me to enjoy my power without having to hide it.

I took a trip to a forest, once, abandoning all pretense of my mundane life. I walked on this earth as my ancestors did, unmarred by humanity and their crude conquering of the earth, unchained by my Parents' needless rules. I reveled in the power of my blood, created and destroyed beauty at my whim. It was paradise...except that someone saw me. I should have killed them, should have wiped their mind into something primordially simple...yet I was too slow. My Parents have yet to confront me about this - so I can only assume whoever saw me did not know me, or them. It is a small comfort, but the threat of it looms in the back of my mind.

pre:
Name: Saoirse Gallagher
Look: Enthralling, Bored Eyes
Skin: Gentry
Origin: Family Scion.
Family Origin: Here First.

Stats:
Cold: +2

Moves
Sex Move
When you and another character have sex, choose if you believe it 
to be True or False love. If it is True, your parents are now upset at you 
unless it was the specific partner they had in hand, and everyone else 
you have Yours Truly on is healed of that condition. 
If it is False, your partner is healed of Yours Truly 
and gets +1 forward on their next action against you.

Darkest Self
Your parents were right. This is how they repay your kindness? 
This is how they repay you for the honor of your presence? 
The only thing left is to make them pay for every gift they took without deserving it. 
Systematically, you’re going to go down the list and get back what is yours.

Faery Boon
You may offer someone else a faery boon, allowing them to: 

- Open 1 passage they otherwise would have been barred from
- Take 1 forward on 1 goal for the rest of the scene
- Get an honest answer to 1 question

In exchange, they take the condition Yours Truly [you feel like you should 
be thankful, but also resent it a little, and it's definitely not completely 
above board]. If they spurn your kindness, give them a string.

Leanan Sidhe
When you Turn Someone On, on a 10+, you can give them Yours Truly 
instead of taking a string. If they already have Yours Truly, 
on a 7-9 you can remove one of the options.

Sans Merci
When you Shut Down someone with the Yours Truly condition,
on a 7+ they take 1 harm at your discretion.

Backstory
You sort those you are fond of into two piles, Friends and Possessions. 
They are both valuable, of course, but….different kinds of value.

Friends:

Possessions:

Someone has resisted all your attempts to make a friend of them so far. Give them two strings.

Someone would be happier as your possession than your friend. Take two strings on them.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Ailbhe Ó Braoin, Definitely A Perfectly Normal Student

Definitely just a normal student, no connection to that second picture at all.
(Let’s just agree to ignore that one pic’s fanart and the other’s pretty booby, okay?)

Cryptid Hunters s.3 ep.14 “Formorians: Fact or Fiction?” posted:

The Formorians are the mythical first inhabitants of Ireland, routed by the Tuatha Dé Danann centuries before the birth of Christ. But what if I told you that these original inhabitants of Ireland could still be here, lurking in the shadows? Would you call me insane? Or would you join the search with… the Cryptid Hunters?
*Scene skipped*
*Scene skipped*

“The Formorians, or Formoire, are a type of near-human giant, generally estimated at between seven and nine feet tall. There is consistently some form of inhuman feature, some sort of tell, such as as animal horns or a withered limb. Signs of glamours may be present, as they are often used to hide either the Formorians themselves or their tell. There are frequent reports of the smell of brine. However, this may be due to a majority of sightings being near to the sea.”
*End playback? y/n*

Oh, uh, hello there. I’m Ailbhe, I’m the new transfer student. It’s good to meet you.
Irish, actually, so you weren’t that far off.

Oh, my old school? It’s… It’s nothing special, really. Not compared to here. Back home it was all just seaside villages and nothing on TV, y’know? Out here there’s things to do. There’s concerts and movies and people to talk to that I’m not related to and it’s just… Oh, I’m sorry, I’m rambling, aren’t I?

“Oh, oh, no, I understand. I have things to do too. That unpacking isn’t going to finish itself, right? Hahaaaaaa that was so awkward what are you doing Ailbhe

quote:

Ailbhe Ó Braoin, the Sasquatch Cryptid
Awkward, Sparkling Eyes, Transfer Student

Hot -1, Cold -1, Volatile +1, Dark +2

Moves
Musk
You have a distinct smell, unpleasant to some, intriguing to others. When you sweat in the presence of other people, roll with volatile. On a 10 up, the MC gives you a String on someone there and they choose:
-Compliment you
-Apologize to you
-Give themselves to you
On a 7-9, the MC gives you a String on someone there, and that character gives you a Condition, delivered in the most appropriate way.

Negatives
When you really, really want specific evidence of you to disappear, be it a physical object or something from the memory of someone with no Strings on you, roll with Dark. On a 10 up, it happens. The tracks are gone. On a 7-9 the evidence or memory is gone, but the pieces don’t add up: a mystery remains.

Disappear
When you run away, on a 10 up you may instead choose this result:
-You slip from view and remain there, invisible.
On a 7-9, add this option to the list:
-You disappear on the spot, causing wild confusion, and the witness who cares the most about you gets a String on you.

Sex Move
The person who had sex with you smells like you afterward, and gains the Condition scented. If they face their peers before scrubbing it off, they mark experience.

Darkest Self
Now, right now, it’s time to rain stones down upon the bullies and the excluders. It’s time to wreck their precious stuff, to shove them back so hard they’ll never even dream of messing with you or anyone else ever, ever again. You escape your Darkest Self when you hurt one of these people more than they’ve hurt anyone else… and more than you meant to.

Backgrounds
You’ve been a wallflower your whole life but someone finally noticed you. Give them a String.

Someone makes fun of you. What do they say? They give you a Condition, and you take 2 Strings on them.
I mostly changed the skin name because sasquatch lore wasn’t quite clicking for this concept. Also because I’d like to think a world with actual magic would have more interesting cryptids than an ape-man.

So, there’s this girl. Holly Wainwright. She’s... interested in me. Not like that. Well, maybe like that. She just wants me to go to a club meeting with her. A secret club meeting, at that. I’d just brush her off, but she seems so glad to be asking me and I don’t want to be insulting about it and she noticed I was glamoured a few days ago so I can’t afford to make an enemy out of her and just ugggghhhh. Why does this have to be complicated.

(If you’re curious, I just told her I was using a glamour to change my hair color. Which isn’t wrong, per se, but it’s certainly not the truth.)

History, probably. Oh, and English, there are so many books I need to read. Oh, and… Okay, I know it’s odd that I’m going to a magic school and I’m looking forward to the mundane classes the most. Let me be clear here: my family knows magic. My family knows magic that is older and purer than anything this school could hope to teach me. If I wanted to learn magic, I’d have stayed in Ireland.

(Although, I suppose I am looking forward to how easy Charms and Glamours is going to be.)

What did you totally screw up related to your skin’s innate problems that you’re glad definitely nobody knows about at this new school?
So, this happened about two months ago. I just convinced my father to let me come here, which meant I had to sneak into the school in the nearest town and I had to make some false education records for me and I had to make sure I was entered into the exchange program. I know that sounds complicated, but we’re a family of giants that doesn't legally exist, it really was the simplest way to do it.

Changing the records went fine. I mean, I wouldn’t be here if they weren’t fine. The problem is, well, some ghost-hunting show was filming a piece in the school that night and I think they caught some video of me. It wasn’t a lot and there’s no reason for them to think it’s not a ghost, but… I didn’t realize the cameras were there until I was already running out of there and I didn’t have time to erase the tapes and I just haven’t had the nerve to tell anyone. My family would have my hide if they found out, y’know? Really, I should just relax a bit. It’s been a few months, nobody here has any reason to watch some ghost show, there’s no reason everything won’t be fine.

MrNekomata
Apr 1, 2012
Sentrygun, is that username on IRC or is it something else? I had a few questions and I didn't see you on there.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

MrNekomata posted:

Sentrygun, is that username on IRC or is it something else? I had a few questions and I didn't see you on there.

If you're in a channel with skybot, you can .tell sentrygun message to tell her whatever. Or you could post the questions here :v:

sentrygun posted:

Her. Also, skybot requires I send a message for it to detect me and throw messages at me, so it's not the most reliable since I don't talk often in IRC.

e: oops, my bad. Sorry about that.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 14, 2015

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
I don't keep my computer on overnight, so I'm not always idle there. That said I haven't gotten a single question that couldn't have just been posted straight here anyways.

Wahad posted:

If you're in a channel with skybot, you can .tell sentrygun message to tell him whatever. Or you could post the questions here :v:

Her. Also, skybot requires I send a message for it to detect me and throw messages at me, so it's not the most reliable since I don't talk often in IRC.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 14, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Suppose I'll ask mine here as well, then. How long's this open for? A week, two, a month?

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

Of course, the whole point of
a Doomsday Machine is lost if
you KEEP IT A SECRET!
Rothfield Resuscitation Experiment Mk. 6 Mark “Six” Rothfield
The Hollow

Hi, yes, hello. I’m M-mark. I-I didn’t realize there would be an in-inteview. Sorr-ry, just a bit nervous I-I think. The brochure- I mean my dad said that this school was a g-good place for uh-um… people who are n-not exactly human. I certainly w-want to learn! I really, uh, need to learn magic b-better. Yeah, sorry. Nerves. Ok. *Deep breath*.
My name is Mark Rothfield, from Colorodo Springs. My friends call me Six. If-if I had any friends that is. I’ve heard that this school has great facilities for helping…. People? Get a hold of their magical abilities. I kn-know that I don’t have much in the way of academic history for my application, but I have a strong drive to learn, and can definitely hold my own magically. Yes I can- I mean my dad can afford the tuition.
T-take off the headphones? But I don’t have them on, see? My ears are up here. I would rather keep them w-where they are if it’s all the same to you…

quote:

Look: disheveled, wide eyes
Origin: part machine

Moves:

A Blank Canvas
When you take an action that embodies one of the Conditions that you have, and you allow that Condition to influence your sense of self, cross it off and add 1 to your roll.

Better Than Nothing
When you gain a Condition, mark experience.

Stats:

Hot: -1
Cold: -1
Volatile: +2
Dark: 1

Darkest Self

Your body is a prison. You don’t belong inside of it. You need to put it in harm’s way, and make it suffer, just like it’s made you suffer. There’s got to be a way to cut yourself out of it. You need to meet your makers, and hold them accountable for what they’ve done to you. To escape your Darkest Self, you must come face to face with someone who feels more trapped than you do.

Sex Move

After having sex with someone, replace your current sex move with theirs, adding this sentence to the end of it.

quote:

I-I was really impressed by the tour. You h-have a very nice facility here, much b-bigger than dad’s place. That is to say, I may be staying away from Nurse Blücher’s office from now on… I don’t really think I’ll need a checkup or that physical she told me to get any time soon…

quote:

E-evocation! I’m a bit gifted with magic that makes something from, uh, nothing. E-especially electricity. I’m really hoping to learn how to control some of the finer aspects of metaphysical creation. I’ve heard this school has some of the best evokers in the world. H-how does the old saying go? I might even learn something about m-myself. Ha Ha Ha … ha

quote:

Al-alright, alright. Fine. Sooo, my dad may not really be the one sending me to school here. “Dad” being relative here. He may have, sort of, kicked me out. Something about “another failure”. I don’t really r-remember that well. It was v-very late, and I had been asleep. But maybe I had kinda-sorta blown up the wing of Dad’s facility I stayed in? There was a lot of fire and electricity everywhere. And I might have hit part of the town? Wait! W-wait! I can still pay! He set me up with the money I needed. But, uh…yeah. Dad’s not really very happy with me. Please don’t tell anyone.

Kid Blink fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 15, 2015

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Mors Rattus posted:

Suppose I'll ask mine here as well, then. How long's this open for? A week, two, a month?

Depending on the clip at which apps keep coming in, I don't see myself keeping it open for more than a week from now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I, too, have interest, but wll need some thinkin' to get my poo poo together.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Ingrid Spicer, the Black Hearted

Bwahaha! You're in for it now! How unfortunate that you chanced upon the infamous dark witch Ingrid Spicer! What do you mean you haven't heard of me?! I should turn you into a toad, but I'll let you off easy. Surely you've heard of my daddy. The genius Herr von Bose. Well maybe you've heard of him under a previous nom de guerre. Daddy doesn't want me saying his real name. You must live under a rock to not have heard of us. We're kind of a big deal. Either way this is a historic day since I'll be running this school soon enough, bwahaha!
Oh my story is very interesting you're astute to ask! I inherited magical talent from my mother, a very mysterious and busy woman. Oh? Uh I believe she's trying to escape the shadow realm I don't think that counts as what someone does for a living though. Daddy schemes from his volcanic lair. He doesn't let me know about his money making operations. I'm old enough! He doesn't even let me near the armory as well. It's completely ridiculous. He tells me all these great stories from when he was my age and he doesn't let me use the wushu gong thingies he was fighting over then. Well I'll show him when I conquer this whole place! Bwahaha!

quote:

Ingrid Spicer
Blackhearted

Look: Stunted, wild eyes
Origin: Dark Dynasty

Stats
0 Hot +1 Cold +1 Volatile -1 Dark

Moves:
My Nemesis - The person with the most strings on you at the start of a scene is your Nemesis. You carry one forward acting against your nemesis.

Dastardly Whiplash - When you ignore a legitimate advantage to pursue a more complicated underhanded tactic mark experience.

Backstory

Someone is your nemesis having slighted you in the past, they gain three strings on you. They are your nemesis the first scene regardless of how many strings they have.

Your obnoxious antics are well known, everyone else gains a string on you.

Someone has already fallen victim to your wiles, gain a string on them.

Advances

Take another Blackhearted move
Take another Blackhearted move
Take a move from another skin
Take a move from another skin
Gain a gang of Bumbling Minions
Add 1 Hot (max 3)
Add 1 Cold (max 3)
Add 1 Volatile (max 3)
Add 1 Dark (max 3)

Darkest Self - Maybe they’re right, not to want you around. Well you’ll be damned if you’re going to be shunned and die in obscurity. Even if it means ugh being nice. In fact, you’ll be the best at being nice! You’ll show all those high horse riding hypocrite moralizers what real charity is! You’ll never pass up an opportunity to give and no amount of stuff or effort is too much. You escape your darkest self when your kindness is scorned or when people refuse to believe you’ve really turned over a new leaf.

Sex Move - If your partner is your nemesis declare your victory and they lose all their strings on you. If your partner is anyone else declare that this doesn’t mean anything and they gain enough strings on you to become your nemesis.

sentrygun posted:

With all that said, I'm looking for a decent sized group of people to play a bunch of dumb witch teens and place bets on how fast the school is going to go up in flames. Tell me a few things in addition to the usual application bits:

Ms. Bastion has already made it know that she will not suffer my nefarious plans to come to fruition. She is responsible for student safety. So really she should be helping me so it is a bloodless coup.
I am looking forward to alchemy. Leaning poisons is prudent for someone who needs to be wary of them as a very important person. And intends to use them
I absolutely will not stand for anyone touching my stuff. My robes got mixed up and worth by Samantha, so I burned them. I personalized my remaining robe to prevent this from happening again. I did not bring many possessions with me for this exact reason. It's all sensitive materials I won't have the plebs touching. I just have to make sure no one realizes how ill equipped I am to deal with any skull drudgery.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I didn't mean to cause such a fuss. I mean, I didn't even know I'd have anything to do with magic until they took me away. Something about me being destined to create a seal against some unnameable god... or devil? But they said I had already made the seal, too. And sacrificing me would... un... seal it? They were quite mad, you understand. Magic makes people strange! Well, I wouldn't have any of it, but they wanted to to something horrible, no doubt. But I was able to convince one of them to send a last message to my family, but you know, father's a bit... temperamental. He and his men made short work of the cult, and I felt pretty broken up about the thing. I mean. Cultists or no, father's a worse devil than the lot of them. No magic in him, just malice and ambition. What he did to our house seer for not foreseeing it all... well, I won't be like that. Ever. Ever.

Still, there was a bit of magic in me, and so he paid for a tutor and the finest magical adornments, even though I'm not convinced. And now, one of the finest magic schools. Being a witch is all... it's pretty glamorous, isn't it? There isn't an inch of magic in my family, and I don't think I'm very good at it. I do everything I can to study, but it's a bit of a struggle. I think there's more to it than the teachers say, but I guess I have to find that out on my own. I'd love to be able to do blessings or healing even close to what mother can do with a simple prescription, but... well. I've got the broom nonsense down. For what that's worth. Flying is wondrous, even if I'm not the best at that.

And... still, I feel others watching me. Still on that Destined One rumor that cult started, anyway. Ignore them and do my best. There's nothing to that sort of thing, right? Still, sometimes I think I see things crawling in the corners, but it's probably just something anybody with magic sees...

... oh dear. Magic does make people quite strange.

pre:
Abigail "Abbey" Cooper, The Destined One

Playbook: The Unicorn The Hopeful
Origin: our last hope.
Look: trick of the light, translucent eyes
People Should Never: ignore the needy, cause harm intentionally, do less than
their best, ignore their dreams, or deny their destiny.
Virginity Is: only having been intimate with those whom you're truly in love with.

Hot: 2		Cold: -1	Volatile: 1	Dark: -1		Integrity: 0/3

With Integrity: You judge your own actions harshly, holding yourself to a high
moral standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect this, which starts at zero and
can climb to 3. Gain a point of Integrity when:
  • you take the moral high ground about an issue that matters,
  • you follow through on something important that you say you'll do.
You can gain up to 1 Integrity per scene. When a move calls for you to roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity after you roll. A Good Person: Spend an Integrity to offer someone an experience point to do what you say. If they undertake to do that thing, and you directed them towards making a third party happier at no one's expense, mark experience. Hunted: There are things that hunt you, things you often catch out of the corner of your eye. When one of them comes out into the open, choose:
  • stand up to it and award yourself a point of Integrity
  • call out for help and anyone who comes to your rescue marks experience
  • look directly at it and ask the MC a question about your hunters
Sex Moves: You have three intimacy moves. When you lay your head in a virgin's lap, gain a point of Integrity and choose:
  • give them 1 forward to protecting you
  • roll to turn them on
When you kiss a non-virgin, take 1 harm. When you have sex, lose all your Integrity. Darkest Self: This is it. Everything falls apart, and you can't hold it together anymore. It's not because everything is too much to bear – just that you aren't good enough. So beg their forgivenesses, everyone you've wronged by being too weak to help; and show them how sorry you are, in whatever small ways you can muster before the final curtain falls. Don't seek their acceptance. You don't deserve it. You escape your Darkest Self when someone reflects to you a glimmer of your own self worth

Professor Sawyer seems to have singled me out for... some reason, and it's like I can't do anything to make her happy. I mean, I really really wanted to learn more about pacts, but no matter how hard I try, "Sawyer the Destroyer" is just singling me out like she wants to humiliate me. Why? I do everything I can to do better in pact studies, but it's like she hates me! Maybe I'm not doing well enough, or just don't have the talent for it... but still, how she treats me is just... uncalled for...

Introduction to Pact Negotiation... or at least I was. I mean, that's how to make deals with genies or angels or... other things and get your heart's wish or make the impossible happen. And it doesn't require any special magic talent, just smarts and study. I mean, Solomonic Seals and all that. But. Professor's out to make sure I don't learn anything at all! I have to pass this if I'm going to take Theosophical Diplomancy next year!

It's not so complicated... I just, you know, went out with Blythe in my freshman year, and when we kissed, I knew, I just knew she didn't have a true heart. I kind of nearly threw up a little. I just knew it she wasn't true, I knew, I knew, and I guess it was the magic before I even knew I had it. It upset her pretty badly when I broke up with her and I couldn't even explain why. I barely even understood why myself! She spent the rest of the year making up some nasty lies and telling some nasty truths. I guess I was right about her all along, but that didn't make me feel better. Now I don't have to live with all that stuff floating around anymore, right?

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 16, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm gonna do a Hollow, because they are empty inside, like my loving black heart! :drac:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gill Parsons, the hollow

Hello. I'm from Los Angeles. No, it's fine, you don't have to apologize... Things are alright down there now. My... ...father... just decided to come up after things happened, so we're here now.

Oh. I don't know what else to say. Sorry.

quote:

Name: Gill Parsons
Look: Haunted, wide eyes
Origin: A notion given human form

HOT -1
COLD -1
VOLATILE 1
DARK 2

MOVES:

* Inhuman Gaze: When you shut someone down, roll with dark.
* A Blank Canvas: When you take an action that embodies one of the conditions you have, and you allow that condition to influence your sense of self, cross it off and add 1 to your roll.

SEX MOVE:
After having sex with someone, replace your current sex move with theirs, adding this sentence to the end of it.

DARKEST SELF:
Your body is a prison. You don’t belong inside of it. You need to put it in harm’s way, and make it suffer, just like it’s made you suffer. There’s got to be a way to cut yourself out of it. You need to meet your makers, and hold them accountable for what they’ve done to you. To escape your Darkest Self, you must come face to face with someone who feels more trapped than you do.

Advancement
Take another Hollow move.
Take another Hollow move.
Take a move from another Skin.
Take a move from another Skin.
You’ve found your Hollow Siblings.
Add 1 to Hot (max 3).
Add 1 to Cold (max 3).
Add 1 to Volatile (max 3).
Add 1 to Dark (max 3).

sentrygun posted:

I'm worried about Joreth Enlagio if I'm going to be perfectly honest with you, because I knew him from the last place and he knew about what happened. In fact I think he put the idea in my head. But he was smiling when he did it, and I don't know why... or, how... At least he's a grade ahead. I wonder if he's got scars from the fire.

I don't know about the classes. I guess I'm looking forward to literature. There's no interdictions up here, I guess. Nothing gets trimmed out. I guess advanced scrying would be fun... unless they have a seminar on the hidden languages. That would be my favorite. I guess.

Joreth wasn't here for this. There wasn't any fire.
It was a health class, you know, a HEALTH class, and they were asking if anyone knew where babies came from, and asked if everyone could say something about their mother, and I said I couldn't, and the teacher said Why Not, and I said back, "Because I didn't have one, just one parent."

And he sighed and said - I remember it very well - "Well if my daddy was a pistol, I'd be a son of a gun, so why don't you answer my question" and I just felt like I'd frozen up, you know, like the wax on a candle that's burned down. I went solid and I didn't say anything else all day as I heard the laughing. They said "mainstream" at me. That's what they say now, because you can't say "retarded," you know, but they've heard that one - nobody wants to be "mainstreamed,"

When I got home I asked him, "Why did they laugh so," but he just said "if they're all laughing at you, they aren't really your friends" as he did the eye exam again, but I guess he saw all he needed, because I'm here now, aren't I? All safe and sound. I don't even feel the sun any more. I don't know why I'm saying so much.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
For the record, with how many Monsterhearts games we have on this forum, we have an irc room! #Swampthings at irc.synirc.net Might wanna drop in. I'm not gonna app to this game, I'm pretty much full up between games I've apped to and games I'm already in, just thought I'd let yall know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Posting interest would gorgon be alright for a skin.

• Locked thread