Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

[I

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video. :siren:

: Let's begin with a basic explanation of the class trial! So, your votes will determine the results. If you can figure out "whodunnit" then only they will receive punishment. But if you pick the wrong one... Then I'll punish everyone *besides* the blackened, and the one that deceived everyone else will graduate!

: Okay then, so first off... Let's talk about the murder weapon!

First we have to make clear what was used to deliver the fatal blow...

: The difficulty of the trials has now been set to Mean on both Logic and Action. You'll immediately see that there are more Truth Bullets in our Truth Cylinder from the beginning of the trial. There will also be more weak spots in each debate from now on.

: Chihiro's fatal injury... It appears it was a head wound.
: According to the Monokuma File, the killer used a "blunt instrument," but... What kind of "blunt instrument" could it have been!?
: I bet it was an iron pipe!
: Interesting! That certainly would make for a powerful weapon!
: Poor Chihiro...

No...the weapon that was used to kill Chihiro must have been in the locker room...!

: It's fairly obvious what the murder weapon was here.

: This wasn't shown off in Trial 1 but pressing the R button activates Concentration Mode. This mode will slow down the action of everything on the screen while you hold it down. The Focus Gauge, represented by the blue Stars in the upper right will decrease quickly but recharges over time. You can use this to better line up shots. Concentration is also available to use in the Hangman's Gambit, though it's rarely as useful in there as in the Nonstop Debates.

> Shoot "iron pipe" with "Locker Room Dumbbell"

: Can we agree that the object that dealt the fatal blow was the dumbbell, found at the scene of the crime? It was covered in blood, and there was nothing else at the scene that could have caused that kind of injury.
: And the wound on the victim's head is consistent with the shape of the dumbbell. As far as I'm concerned, there's no mistake and no room for doubt on this one.
: You...looked at her head wound?
: Kyaaah! That's sooo creeeepy!
: ...

: If you don't mind, I will proceed from here. Let's move on to discussion of the culprit. Although, I believe the criminal behind this heinous act is already quite clear.
: What? For real!?

: Chihiro's killer is the fiendish serial killer, Genocide Jack!

Genocide Jack, the fiendish serial killer... Did he really...kill Chihiro?

: For this debate, lines of white noise will appear to disrupt your reactions. Your Truth Bullets will disappear if they hit these lines, so think of them as obstacles in your debate. But there's a way to keep this white noise from getting in your way. Press the X button to attach the silencer, which you can use to shoot down the white noise. However, if you shoot and actual remark with your silencer instead of the white noise...the time limit will decrease. So take careful aim when you have your silencer out.
: White noise serves to get in your way when debating. They will move across the screen from various directions to interfere. If you fire your Truth Bullet at a weak point and white noise is in the way, your bullet will not get through. Noise adds an extra step to the debate process but as of this trial it's not that hard to work around. You even get back 2 seconds of time for every piece of white noise you shoot down. If you miss and shoot white text though, you will lose 10 seconds off your timer and some points at the end of the trial. If nothing else, if gives you something to do while the characters talk at each other.

: The culprit is Genocide Jack, I'm sure of it. Case closed, as far as I'm concerned.
: But...that's impossible!
: Why? What makes it impossible?
: Well, I mean...come on...! There's just no proof for it!
: Hey, so, speaking of Genocide Jack... I don't know who that is!

The evidence that shows Genocide Jack is related to the case... It has to be...

: We read a whole case file on him and things did seem to match up...

: Just a quick image to show what the white noise looks like. They're not white at all!

: Again, you have to shoot them down before you can fire your Truth Bullet at a weak point, otherwise it will bounce away.

> Shoot "no proof for it" with "Genocide Jack Case File"

: I...might know one reason he could be involved.
: What!?
: I found this file while I was looking around the archive in the library...

: I guess it's some kind of confidential file the police put together about the Genocide Jack case.
: What...? That's kinda weird as poo poo, isn't it? What was something like that doing in the library?
: The why of it is probably more trouble than it's worth, so let's forget about that for now. More importantly, it outlines all the specifics of every Genocide Jack case in exceeding detail. According to the file, there appear to be two defining characteristics in every Genocide Jack case. The first is that a bloody message is found written at the scene of every murder.
: Oh, that's right! "Booblust"!
: Uh, no...it's actually "bloodlust"...

: But more important is the other characteristic. And it's something that has never been made public.
: Never made public...? What the hell is it?
: Why don't you tell them, Makoto?

The other characteristic of every Genocide Jack case, which the world at large doesn't know...

> How the victim was positioned

: Apparently, in every Genocide Jack case, the killer suspends the body in a certain way. Other than the killer, the only people who know about this are the higher-ups in the police department.
: However, Chihiro was most definitely suspended in the same way.

: So, how did the culprit know about this, when only high-level police officials were aware of it? There's only one logical answer I can think of. It's because the culprit in this case...is the real Genocide Jack.
: No fuckin' way!
: You're saying Genocide Jack...is one of us?

Music fades out.

: Yes. In fact, it's Toko.

: Wh...?

: Genocide Jack's true identity...is Toko Fukawa.
: YOU LIIIEEEEEEE!

: Wh-Wh-Wh-What?
: Hey, okay, wait, hold on a sec! Toko has like, bloodophobia or whatever, remember? What kind of serial killer is afraid of blood!?
: Is Toko Genocide Jack? The answer is yes...and no.
: Another riddle? Man, why's this gotta be so complicated?

It does seem like a riddle in a way, but... I feel like...I can just about see it. genocide Jack is Toko, but *isn't* Toko... What does it mean?

: Kind of wish the translation had chosen a better word for this than "Schizo" considering that word's connotations. I'm not really sure what a better choice would have been though since Bipolar isn't exactly the same thing. I'm sure someone in the thread will mention what it was in the original LP or original Japanese and a possibly better word.

: Is it because Genocide Jack...has a split personality?
: ...Huh?

: I think I read that somewhere in the file, too. They thought that the suspect might have...what did they call it? "Dissociative identity disorder."
: O-Okay...but still, to go and say that about Miss Fukawa is--
: Perfectly acceptable. Toko's strange behavior after seeing the body is proof enough that she has a split personality.

The one thing that shows Toko could have a split personality... It has to do with her behavior...

> Her behavior changed

: You're talking about how she started acting totally different than usual, right?
: That's right. Think back--she fainted when she saw Chihiro's corpse, and then when she woke up...

: I'm fine, I'm fine! Kyehaha...! Whoa, is that a dead body!? Hey! Are you dead!? Kyeehahaha!
: She musta hit her head *real* hard when she fainted...
: The world has a front and a back, a top inning and a bottom, a sea of truth and a web of lies!
: This is...quite concerning. I mean, she sounds completely different...

: She was acting funny, that's for sure! That melancholy tone of hers completely disappeared!
: Don't go assigning adjectives to my t-tone without permission...
: Not to mention, once she regained consciousness and saw Chihiro's body again, she was utterly calm. In other words, within her is one personality that can't handle blood, and one that obviously can.
: N-Ngh...!

: So when Toko trapped herself in her room, it's because she was scared of Genocide Jack...?

: I w-won't let Genocide Jack have control! I'll d-drive out...the killer... D-Drive out the murderous fiend...

: The reason she locked herself in her room wasn't to keep other people from getting in... It was to keep her other personality from getting out.
: What...?
: Toko was afraid--afraid of the murderous fiend inside of her, of killing even more people...

: H-H-How...?
: Yeah, how can you know all this!?
: I do believe you misunderstood her. What she's trying to say isn't, "How can you know all this?"

: No, what she wants to know is, "How could you tell them?"
: Last night, just before Monokuma gave his "motive" speech, Toko and I had a strange conversation. She told me a most interesting story... She said a murderous fiend lived within her, and she was afraid it could appear and attack at any time.
: And that trepidation is what's caused her to have such a bleak attitude. Isn't that right, Toko?
: Urg...gaah...!
: This is all a lie...right, Toko?

: Y-You said you wouldn't t-tell anyone...!
: ...What!?
: You p-promised...! I can't b-believe you l-lied!

: You have only yourself to blame--you came to me with your tragic little story. I didn't ask you to. This is the real world, not some romantic fantasy fairytale.
: Gyah...! G-Gaah!
: Besides, you broke your promise first. You said that as long as you were here, no matter what, you wouldn't let Genocide Jack kill anyone. But in spite of that promise...

: I-I'm sorry. I couldn't k-keep our promise. But don't w-worry. Never again... I...! I won't let Genocide Jack have control ever again!

: You said if I k-kept my promise...you would g-go out with me!
: Th-That's the only r-reason I promised...!
: How many times do I have to tell you? I never said that.
: But you weren't able to do it--you just couldn't resist that rush you got from killing, could you?

: I-I tried...I swear I t-tried to control it! B-But...
: But your efforts were useless. What a disappointment.
: Nggh...I hate you...

: Well, the opening act is nearly finished. All that's left is to hear from the person in question directly.

Music fades out.

: The p-person...? Y-Y-You don't m-m-m-mean...!?

Toko's body suddenly lunged backwards. A huge THUD echoed across the courtroom. But in the next second...

: Well hello there! Is it me you were hoping to see!?
: Gah! Eugh, what the heck!?
: So you figured it out, huh? Well, whatever! What're ya gonna do!?

: Voice Actress: Erin Fitzgerald
: I'm the Ultimate Murderous Fiend, Genocide Jack! Or better yet, let's go with Genocide Jill!
: What the gently caress is this!?
: Toko...what happened to you?
: Not Toko! That's a loser name! And what happened is a textbook split personality! So what if one of them happens to be a serial killer!? You should turn a blind eye to one's faults!

: Kyeehahahaha!
: She so...intense!
: Like they say, sound in murderous mind, sound in murderous body!
: This one is so different from the one we've come to know...

: Yes, well, the world is composed of a front and a back, you know. Just like how every inning has a top and a bottom, or how in the depths of every truth lives a little lie...
: Behind every dark and gloomy soul lives another that shines as bright as the sun!
: Kyeehahahaha!

*This* is the "murderous fiend" Genocide Jack? This is... This is...! This is beyond insane!

: Um, Miss Jack--er, Jill? Can I ask you a question...?

: What's up!?
: Some of us think you might be the mastermind behind our entire situation. What are your thoughts on that?
: Well I'll tell you! I am the mastermind of all masterminds!

: ...Just kidding!
: Then...it's not true?

: Of course it's not true! How dare you try to link me to that creepazoid!?
: And another thing! The police and government and society in the outside world are totally powerless!
: I mean, they just let this idiotic bloodthirsty maniac go buck wild all over town!
: Sure, I'm a bloodthirsty maniac. But life is pain, right? To live is to hurt other people. It's a necessary evil if you want to survive. The act of living itself causes pain for everyone...!
: ...Just kidding again! Kyeehahaha!

: This should be enough to convince you. This murderous fiend is responsible for Chihiro's death. There's clearly a motive, so there should be no doubt.
: ...A motive?
: Remember what Monokuma told us? If someone didn't murder and graduate within 24 hours, an embarrassing memory or secret would be revealed. Well, let's assume that Toko's secret was about Genocide Jack. If a secret like that came to light, Toko's life would have undoubtedly been forever ruined. So she had a very clear motive to never have that side of herself exposed.

: Interesting... Very very very interesting...!
: But sorry! As much as I hate to admit it, I'm not the culprit!

: But I can not imagine anyone other than you could murder someone in such a bizarre fashion...
: Maybe so, maybe so! But nevertheless, it's the truth.

: ...Do you really expect any of us to believe you?
: Yeah! I could never believe a word you say, you monster!

Maybe... Maybe she's totally right about that, but... But something's still bothering me. What she said... I need to get some more details about all of this.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Toko's a loving pill but I've always had a soft spot for Genocide Syo/Jack/Jill/whatever.

Also, dub team, schizophrenia is not DID. I mean, I guess "split personality" is too long and "DID" is too short but still.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 9, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:jackon: Oh, er... :syoon:

Toko's shock pose where she holds her hair is the silliest looking thing.

E: Toko, according to that Hangman's Gambit:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 9, 2015

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'm glad to see 3 people in this case having a good time instead of 1.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Jesus christ Togami is brutal.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, they bashed her head in with a dumbbell. Listen, I'm taking this poo poo over. Naegi, you're my yes-man and you'd better chime in every time I call your name. Okay? Okay. Let's get started. Time for everyone to listen in as I break every promise I made to someone, drive her to tears, and stress her so much that a homicidal maniac split personality emerges."

Also, I love Monobear for calling the world out on this:

FPzero posted:

: Of course it's not true! How dare you try to link me to that creepazoid!? And another thing! The police and government and society in the outside world are totally powerless! I mean, they just let this idiotic bloodthirsty maniac go buck wild all over town!

And for the portmanteau of hog wild and buck naked. It sounds like Genocide Jill went all Saints Row on Tokyo.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 9, 2015

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, "SCHIZO" was not the word to include in this. Can't speak for the Japanese version, but I remember playing this at the time and just thought "This isn't what schizophrenia is at all."

Maybe "PSYCHO" would have been a better choice. It's a bit of a stretch, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than a term meant for people with chronic delusions.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

FPzero posted:

: Kind of wish the translation had chosen a better word for this than "Schizo" considering that word's connotations. I'm not really sure what a better choice would have been though since Bipolar isn't exactly the same thing. I'm sure someone in the thread will mention what it was in the original LP or original Japanese and a possibly better word.

They really should NOT have used that word AT ALL.This specific puzzle had me stuck for so long because I live a Psychologist and have taken a couple of year of psychology in high school and College. I wish to present this Quote from Mental Health America

Metal Health America's page on Schiophrenia posted:

Schizophrenia is a serious disorder which affects how a person thinks, feels and acts. Someone with schizophrenia may have difficulty distinguishing between what is real and what is imaginary; may be unresponsive or withdrawn; and may have difficulty expressing normal emotions in social situations.
Contrary to public perception, schizophrenia is not split personality or multiple personality. The vast majority of people with schizophrenia are not violent and do not pose a danger to others. Schizophrenia is not caused by childhood experiences, poor parenting or lack of willpower, nor are the symptoms identical for each person.
http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/conditions/schizophrenia

This is where I want to slap the translation team in very poor research and pushing a very harmful stereotype about a serious mental condition.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

DialTheDude posted:

Can't speak for the Japanese version.

The Japanese puzzle is the layman word for "multiple personalities", not any of the more specific medical terms.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I wonder if just using "SPLIT" would have worked. I don't know if the translators were struck filling a 6-letter puzzle though, depends on how the game was coded and if they had access to changing things like that.

But yeah, Schizophrenia isn't nearly the same thing. I took two semesters of general Psychology but I felt like I learned a fair bit from my professors, especially when it came down to learning about mental disorders. Hell, the 5th ed. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual now classifies Schizophrenia as a spectrum, much like it now does for Autism, due to the wide variety of afflictions it can cause. The problem is that its use was, for a long time, used as a broad categorization for many disorders and I guess lots of people still don't realize there's even a difference.

Obviously, none of this excuses the translation team. As DialTheDude just mentioned, PSYCHO would have been miles better and still gotten the point across. They really dropped the ball on this one and I'm generally positive about the localization. (And from a purely gameplay perspective, giving the player _ _ H I _ _ and then having the word be SCHIZO is just incredibly mean because it's not even a word first off and why would I think to spell that given the letters I was.)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:syoon:

Poor Toko has more issues than a news-stand, but drat if Syo (Genocider's monicker in the original Japanese) isn't amazing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know, she's a lot less annoying this way. At least she's HAPPY.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Maybe it's just because I'm not an anime/manga fan, but does it bother anyone else that Toko's "crazy" is shown as "tongue so long it would make Gene Simmons jealous"? I'm not sure why that bothers me and walrus-face next to her with literally :3 doesn't; maybe because that seems like a natural fit for his character and the tongue thing is like "well, we couldn't figure out how to make her multiple personalities apparent without making her look like a possessed demon." It just seems very heavy handed to me.

I like the character itself though, more than I thought I would. It's like she (he? it? the Jack personality, is what I'm referencing here) is the embodiment of Chaotic Neutral not giving a gently caress, which is a nice antithesis to the Toko personality who distinctly gives all of the fucks to the point of neurosis.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Leif. posted:

she (he? it? the Jack personality, is what I'm referencing here)

Genocider Jill self-identifies as woman too. The Jack name is an English translation thing, because if a completely unknown serial killer was making the rounds he or she would be given a masculine monicker by default until the actual gender could be determined. I believe the Japanese Syo is gender neutral, am I correct?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah, I believe Jack has the same connotations as Syo in that they're really generic names. Man I can't believe I forgot that :syoon: exists.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I can't even remember what our translation was going to have for the answer to this one. It's possible this might have been one of the things we were still trying to figure out when we cancelled.

DID is right out simply for being too short. We might have something longer but then you need careful control over the hint letters if you want to make that not a complete pain to figure out on the spot and I don't know if we figured out how to do that. The most succinct I can think of that isn't too vague is DUAL IDENTITIES, but that's still a bit of an ask for the second chapter.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

PSYCHO probably would have been the best bet.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So glad to finally see :syoon: again. Toko's original personality gets so grating after a while, this is her better side.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Carbon dioxide posted:

So glad to finally see :syoon: again. Toko's original personality gets so grating after a while, this is her better side.

That's not really saying much because this side of her is also horrible. I mean she's literally a psychotic serial killer.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 9, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'm actually curious to see how many shades of horrible this side of her is. Monobear's been scaled upward in terms of creepiness, so I've got to wonder whether they've done the same with Genocide Jill.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Omobono posted:

Genocider Jill self-identifies as woman too. The Jack name is an English translation thing, because if a completely unknown serial killer was making the rounds he or she would be given a masculine monicker by default until the actual gender could be determined. I believe the Japanese Syo is gender neutral, am I correct?

You're not. Sho (with the specific kanji used) is specifically a male name, and one I get the impression is nowadays used mostly as a pseudonym (though there are people out there who have it for their real name). Fukawa's alter ego completely embraces it in Japanese so I'm not sure why they decided to not do the same in the translation. I thought it was both a good joke and said something about the character.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So I'm guessing it's not her because the circumstances are different. Blunt Force trauma instead of stabbing and no scissors stuck in the victim, considering the first one was stabbed to death if Jack/Jill/Whoever went up the hill wanted to go all classic style on this then she could have easily.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So I'm guessing it's not her because the circumstances are different. Blunt Force trauma instead of stabbing and no scissors stuck in the victim, considering the first one was stabbed to death if Jack/Jill/Whoever went up the hill wanted to go all classic style on this then she could have easily.

Yeah, this reeks of copycat. Emulating the signature but not the style of a high profile murderer to cover their tracks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Which puts stress on Togami because after all, it's supposed to be a secret thing that all of the victims are strung up on a cross.
Which is kind of silly since the records were right there in the library.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Let's face it, Togami being a killer would not be that big a stretch, he already thinks he's better than everyone else around him. It's more a question of "would he deign to get blood on his hands or his beautiful suit."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

hopeandjoy posted:

Toko's a loving pill but I've always had a soft spot for Genocide Syo/Jack/Jill/whatever.

It's kind of funny that her best side is a deranged serial murderer. And a little sad.

But Syo is great, so who cares?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Leif. posted:

Maybe it's just because I'm not an anime/manga fan, but does it bother anyone else that Toko's "crazy" is shown as "tongue so long it would make Gene Simmons jealous"? I'm not sure why that bothers me and walrus-face next to her with literally :3 doesn't; maybe because that seems like a natural fit for his character and the tongue thing is like "well, we couldn't figure out how to make her multiple personalities apparent without making her look like a possessed demon." It just seems very heavy handed to me.

This was probably done because her Japanese voice actress actually has a super long tongue. (I've never seen confirmation that they did it for that reason but it hardly seems like a mere coincidence.)

Syo/Jack/Jill is great since she just doesn't care. It really makes no sense that she would have been triggered to commit so many murders and somehow was never caught, which makes her whole backstory more ridiculous than worrisome.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kangra posted:

This was probably done because her Japanese voice actress actually has a super long tongue. (I've never seen confirmation that they did it for that reason but it hardly seems like a mere coincidence.)

Syo/Jack/Jill is great since she just doesn't care. It really makes no sense that she would have been triggered to commit so many murders and somehow was never caught, which makes her whole backstory more ridiculous than worrisome.

Maybe it's like the Laughing Man: a horde of imitators with no original! It is...impractical for a full-time novelist to moonlight as a full-time murderer.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Jack of the house of Genocide, the artist formerly known as Sho, is a straight G with the sick rhymes and the alpines. Ain't nuthin but a Genocide thing.

what i'm saying is she's fun and good

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Speedball posted:

Maybe it's like the Laughing Man: a horde of imitators with no original! It is...impractical for a full-time novelist to moonlight as a full-time murderer.

Let alone a full-time novelist and full-time high school student. It was mentioned that Genocide Jack was striking only outside school hours, and must have got busy as gently caress doing that to have murdered literally thousands of people. Then again, the police really could be as lovely as Monobear says, or Hope's Peak Academy could be deliberately loving with law enforcement in order to protect an Ultimate from being retaliated against for doing Ultimate Things.

If Hope's Peak Academy really did have extremely highly-classified files sitting around in the goddamn library for students to poke through, god knows what the school's game could be.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 10, 2015

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Which puts stress on Togami because after all, it's supposed to be a secret thing that all of the victims are strung up on a cross.
Which is kind of silly since the records were right there in the library.

Not to mention the extension cord and the carpets. Because the stain is on the boy's room after Sakura confessed to spilling coffee, we have to assume that whoever strung up the victim had access to both male and female locker rooms, as in: someone who knew about the dead students handbook. The extension cord came from the library as well, which again points towards Togami as he was using it for his desk lamp earlier.

The question is however: why go through with all the effort of switching carpets around at all? What's with the posters? Just seems like busywork and not really conductive to anything, so I'm guessing we've still got more facts to find out before we can really accuse anyone.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

If Hope's Peak Academy really did have extremely highly-classified files sitting around in the goddamn library for students to poke through, god knows what the school's game could be.

Well I mean between the concept of the "Ultimate" students and the prestige of the university (that being what matters most in Japanese society) it's entirely possible that being admitted under non-Monokuma circumstances gets you in to the Illuminati.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

I think I might have had too much faith in the writers, because I honestly didn't expect them to play such an obvious culprit straight. Hopefully if she really is innocent there'll at least be an interesting story for the real killer.

orenronen posted:

You're not. Sho (with the specific kanji used) is specifically a male name, and one I get the impression is nowadays used mostly as a pseudonym (though there are people out there who have it for their real name). Fukawa's alter ego completely embraces it in Japanese so I'm not sure why they decided to not do the same in the translation. I thought it was both a good joke and said something about the character.

What is the kanji? The only I can imagine fitting on their own would be 諸 OR 庶。

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Lacedaemonius posted:

What is the kanji? The only I can imagine fitting on their own would be 諸 OR 庶。

It's 翔. Examples of real people with that kanji as their name: Shou Aikawa, an actor and Shou Itou, a soccer player.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video. :siren:

: Sorry, but I didn't kill anyone!
: You say that, but do you really expect any of us to believe it?
: Perhaps if you had an alibi, that would change things...
: Ohh, an alibi, huh? Now we're talkin'!
: When you compare your past murders to this incident the modus operandi matches completely. What more proof do we need?
: Kyeeeehahahahaha!
: Give it up. You killed her.

Is Genocide Jack really the killer? I feel like something doesn't match up...

: All those murders in the book were done exactly the same, but there's something quite different about Chihiro's body...

> Shoot "the modus operandi matches" with "Status of the Dead Body"

: Are the methods of murder really exactly the same? I'm not so sure about that...
: I think there's a slight difference between the Genocide Jack cases and this one.
: Huh? How's it any different?
: Uh-oh, you don't know? Well then, human garbage, let me tell you!

: I murder with passion and conviction! I consider myself a professional, and I have a very particular way of doing things! Imagine you go to a fancy Italian restaurant. They're very picky about the noodles, the sauce, everything. But what happened to Chihiro... It'd be like if that same Italian restaurant started using Ragu or Chef Boyardee! This is no creation of mine!

: Let me rephrase that, in a way that maybe makes more sense...
: There are two clear differences between the Genocide Jack cases and this one.

There's one clear difference between the murders...

> The victim's fatal injury

: For one, the cause of death is different. In the Genocide Jack murders, all the victims were killed the same way. According to the case file, they were all apparently killed with...a pair of scissors. But Chihiro died from a blow to the head, right?
: Ah, yes! That is remarkably different from the other murders!
: Wouldn't it be strange for someone who kills the same way without fail to suddenly change their method?
: And there's more--one more conflicting detail.

: That's right! In my recipe of murder, if the bloody message is the tortellini then the arrangement of the body would be the pesto sauce!
: Could you please stop comparing killing people to cooking...?
: S-So...are you saying the other difference has to do with how the body was arranged...?

That's right. The second difference is related to how she was suspended.

> What was used to suspend her

: Do you remember what the killer used to suspend her? They'd used some kind of rope to hang her up by her wrists.
: What is your point?
: Well, in all the previous Genocide Jack cases, something else was used to suspend them...

: Specifically, pairs of razor-sharp scissors.

: And guess what! I used my own specially designed scissors for the murders AND the arrangement!
: Like I said, I'm a professional. So naturally I'm very picky about the tools I use!
: And--andandandandand ya know what else!? Big Mac said there's two differences, but he's wrong!
: Big Mac...? Are you referring to me?

: Listen up, Big Mac! There's actually one more difference!
: My word! You really didn't notice? Take a look at who the victims were in each Genocide Jack case... There's a pattern there just waiting to be discovered!
: A...pattern?
: Figure that out, and it'll be plain as death why I couldn't have possibly killed that little loli girl!

Hmm...let's see... There was a pattern surrounding the Genocide jack victims, and Chihiro didn't fit it...? I...I think I figured it out! I know why she couldn't have killed Chihiro...!

> Because Chihiro was a girl

: Even if you didn't figure this out from the details in the case file, the other two answers are thankfully absurd enough that they can't be right.

: Is it because...Chihiro was a girl?

: BINGO! Bull's-eye! Right on the money!
: What are you talking about...?
: In all the Genocide Jack cases, all the victims had something in common.

Ken Harada, 32. Tetsuhiro Honda, 17. Shoji Gaku, 23. Kanno Isei, 14. Takeshi Yoshida, 30. Komatsuna Taro, Takefumi Gono, Uchida Naohisa, Takeshi Masamune, Yuto Yumejima, there was no end to it...

: They were all...guys?

: That's right! The people I kill with such passion and conviction...are all adorable little men! Kyaah! I can't believe I said it! I'm so embarrassed!
: The hell is wrong with you!?
: I can't help it. I'm just a full-throttle boy-on-boy fangirl! And the mopey side of me just hates it!
: But now I'm on the fast track to becoming a full-fledged fanmadam!

: So since Chihiro was a girl and not an "adorable little man"...you wouldn't kill her?
: Would an Italian chef suddenly start making ramen, just because they're both noodles? Don't be stupid!
: I have too much passion and conviction to cross that line! That's the absolute reality of the one and only!

: We get it. You've clearly explained your hobby and your philosophy. But that's not all there is to it.
: It's a different matter entirely...when you're forced to kill in order to survive.
: Quiet, lowly cur!

: Lowly...cur?
: I would never kill for a reason as petty as mere survival! And! If by some fluke I *did* kill to survive...

: ...why would I bother with the message and arrangement!? It'd make me the obvious suspect!
: That...does make some amount of sense.
: PLUS! Whatever reason I have for killing, I would NEVER leave out my prized scissors! Who would go out of their way to use a big stupid heavy dumbbell!?

: Maybe you used the dumbbell cuz you couldn't find any scissors in the school?
: "Any" scissors? I don't just use "any" scissors! I only use my own set of high-class, envy of the entire world scissors!
: Okay, whatever, there still aren't any in the school...
: Are you sure about that...?

Music fades out.

: Da da-da daa!
: Grgh! She's fully equipped!
: That's right! So I can kill anywhere, anytime! Why would I resort to dumbbells or rope, when I have my trusty scissors by my side? Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. You can't, can you? Gutter dogs, all of you! Not to mention, I have no clue how to tie a good knot. So rope's totally out of the question anyway!

: Ngh...ngraah...! I have no idea what's going on anymore...! Could such a heinous villain really be innocent!?
: But...the body really was suspended, right? And nobody but the police knew about that...
: Yeah! That's why we figured it had to be the real deal and not some copycat killer or whatever!

Actually, hold on...there *is* one person... One person who could have copied the Genocide Jack cases!

: The one who dragged us around during the investigation, who showed us all the evidence...

: Byakuya...it's possible you could have found out, isn't it? You'd have no problem gaining access to classified government documents or internal police records. Plus, you'd already looking through the Genocide Jack file before this all happened, hadn't you?
: A-Are you saying...Mr. Togami did it?

: Then the reason he pushed the theory of Genocide Jack being the killer so hard was because he wanted to pin the crime on her!
: So he rearranged the scene to disguise it and make it look like I'd put my stamp on it...!

: The adorable glasses man was behind it all!? Ahh, I'm on fire!
: ...Well, Byakuya!? What's your response!?
: I see... So now the suspicion falls on me. Then I must ask...when would you say I began acting suspicious? Surely you must have an answer...
: Hmm, looking back and thinking about it now, the way you were acting right before we discovered the body was a little strange...

: And the locker rooms... They're suspicious. Very suspicious, indeed. Wouldn't you agree?
: Huh? Suspicious...?
: It seems nobody's searched the locker rooms. Let's start with the girls locker room...

: You wanted to go to the girls locker room right away, right? But since you're a guy...
: I should have naturally thought of the boys locker room first. Is that what you want to say?

: The victim was Chihiro. A girl. Hence why I said we should check the girls locker room.
: Nothing strange about that, I'd say!

: On the contrary, there's something *very* strange!
: Okay then, what's so strange about it?
: Go ahead, share with the rest of the class.

There was a clear contradiction in what Byakuya just said... I need to make it clear to everyone...!

: Next we're going to add something called a Truth Flashback. If you aim and a weak spot and hold down the Triangle button then you'll memorize that weak spot. This memorized phrase can only be shot once as a single Truth Bullet. If you shoot or change the Truth Bullet, it will disappear from your Truth Cylinder. However, you can use this flashback feature as many times as you want. If you don't seem to have the answer to a lie or contradiction in your loaded Truth Bullets it might be wise to memorize a different weak spot and use that to make your case. When's the best time to flashback? Well, you'll just have to use your keen wits, won't you?
: I think this is the last mechanic in the Nonstop Debate. Like the tutorial said, you can use this mechanic to use a weak point that someone says and turn it into a Truth Bullet you can use to break through a different weak point. This debate introduces the mechanic so it's not too difficult to do but later cases will get tougher. There's also no indication of when you want to use a memorized statement instead of your loaded bullets so you have to be very aware of what bullets you have. While that sounds potentially unfair, the good thing is that you won't need to use this mechanic in a good 80% of the Nonstop Debates and when you do it's usually obvious enough that you're supposed to use it. I like it for adding that little extra layer to the debates. It makes you think and pay attention.

: So you said Byakuya was acting kinda weird before we found the body... But he was acting weird...how?
: If you're presented with the opportunity to check out the girls locker room, you absolutely take it...! That's a natural reaction for any guy!
: The victim was Chihiro, who was a girl. So of course I would suggest we check the girls locker room first. There was no time for pointless distractions. What's so strange about that?
: I wish you'd taken me with you...

Hearing Byakuya's comment about Chihiro being a girl, I realized there's a clear contradiction there! I need to make that contradiction clear!

: How could Byakuya have known who the victim was before we even discovered her? That's the contradiction! However, our only Truth Bullet is the Monokuma File #2 bullet, which doesn't really help us in this situation. That's why...

: ...we need to borrow Hina's statement. The weak point gets loaded into our Truth Cylinder as a greenish bullet. It will disappear after we fire it or if we change bullets, so when firing them make sure your shot will hit otherwise you'll have to go around the debate again.

> Shoot "The victim was Chihiro" with "before we found the body"

: I'll tell you what's so strange about that... Because up until we actually discovered the body, we couldn't have known who the victim was!
: So your claim that you went to the girls locker room first because Chihiro was the victim doesn't hold up!
: I see...That's a good answer, I must admit. Interesting.
: Very interesting, indeed! But your reasoning is still too weak!
: Huh...?

: What's wrong? Is that it? Surely you've got more than that. Go ahead, show us...

What's with Byakuya's attitude...? It's like he...doesn't even care. I've got him cornered, but he's acting like it has nothing to do with him...!

: What's the matter? You're not finished already, are you? There must be more to it...
: Th-There is...I think...

: There *is* more to it. Think about it. We just talked about the differences between this case and past Genocide Jack incidents. The proof you're looking for is hidden in there...
: ...Oh? Proof that I'm the culprit, you mean?

The differences between this case and other Genocide Jack murders... The evidence that proves Byakuya is responsible is hidden in there? What could it be...?

FPzero fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 19, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
This does all explain why it was Fukawa, specifically Fukawa, who shut down Ishimaru's proposal that everybody reveal their secrets to each other right in the gym. Whatever anyone else's secret was, Fukawa's secret read something around the lines of "I'm mentally ill and I randomly turn into a famous serial killer who specifically targets effeminate boys for a slow, gruesome death because they're so fuckin' cute."

Gotta wonder if there were two slips of paper in Fukawa's envelope, one for her secret and one for Genocide Jill's. Then again, I'm not sure I want to know what Genocide Jill's embarrassing secret is.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 10, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This does all explain why it was Fukawa, specifically Fukawa, who shut down Ishimaru's proposal that everybody reveal their secrets to each other right in the gym. Whatever anyone else's secret was, Fukawa's secret read something around the lines of "I'm mentally ill and I randomly turn into a famous serial killer who specifically targets effeminate boys for a slow, gruesome death because they're so fuckin' cute."

Gotta wonder if there were two slips of paper in Fukawa's envelope, one for her secret and one for Genocide Jill's. Then again, I'm not sure I want to know what Genocide Jill's embarrassing secret is.

"I randomly turn into an annoying novel writer without self esteem."

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
"I go by the handle FishGutCologne online and post really creepy stalker-ish rants about my alter ego and her romance novels on the notorious subreddit /r/FukawaInAction. I also yell my posts at the screen as I'm typing them and slobber everywhere in the process and it's really disgusting."

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
The trials are insufferable, it's like everyone's putting on a little play for Makoto, especially Kyoko. I'm starting to wonder if Makoto's the only human in the school and this whole thing is an experiment in sociology/psychology run by aliens. It'd sure explain why everyone's a cardboard cutout.

Then again, I'm not sure I want to know what Genocide Jill's embarrassing secret is.
"I'm the amazing writer."

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The fact that Kirigiri is so obviously capable and in control of the situation, and at the same time so unwilling to speak up, is frightening in its own way. She seems to be holding all the cards, but she never displays one unless Naegi is completely stuck. You get the feeling that if she wanted to, she could take over this whole drat trial and have it over in two minutes.

But, that's not what she's doing. Throughout the last trial, and so far during this one, she just sits back and watches the show. It's like she's getting a feel for her classmates, listening to each of them and observing how each of them approaches a murder case, so she knows what they'll be looking for during the next murder that inevitably occurs.

It's like she's planning to commit the perfect murder herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
If she did solve the murder in two minutes flat, she'd make herself the only possible victim for the next killer. Only with her out of the way could they hope to get away with it.

• Locked thread