Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Libluini posted:

Yeah, I feel that huge money gap makes people more frustrated then they would be normally.

It is, simply because your income is kind of capped right now. The best you can get is around what, 10 mil / hour in a lucky RES? And I think that's pretty min-maxed, I am not affiliated with any power and don't reset RES all the time, and my usual income is around 2-3 mil / hour. Let's not even mention that you might also want to do stuff that doesn't make you big bucks like exploring, moving around, interdicting people or whatever.

If you only play 4-5 hours a week like I guess most normal people do, getting the hundreds of millions required to purchase, outfit and operate the big ships is a pain in the rear end. I have a Python, I'm working on upgrading it but it takes a loooong time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

The most recent dev update has named 2 more new ships coming with 1.5 - the Asp Scout and Viper mk. IV, because obviously Frontier realised that people are OK with variant ships and it lets them weasel out of properly filling their 30 ships quota that they guaranteed :v:

Actually, three

quote:

the Imperial Gutamaya Shipyards are releasing the Imperial Cutter and the Asp Scout and Viper Mk IV will see their debuts, too.

If the Cutter will be the Empire's Python equivalent, :fap:

e: apparently the Cutter is the counterpart to the Corvette, so probably more of an Imperial Anaconda. Kinda scary thought. Anyways I'm really happy we get significantly more ships, I still haven't found my favourite ship (ok for combat it's the Vulture but I can't settle on multirole - Python is too expensive, Cobra is too limited, Asp is for exploration, Clipper too big and clumsy for its shields)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 17, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You should be able to just blast materials off of the rocks in planet rings and then scoop them up to make more bullets. It's the Space Future, there's technology to do that, because it's the Space Future.

Better, just blast entire bullets and missiles ready to fire out of the rocks. That's how it works in other games.

Oh now I want a multicannon that shoots small asteroid pebbles.

Anyways it's pretty clear that :frontear: has not much interest in letting us have more ammo. People have been whining since forever about the low ammo issue (of course there's people whining that having 30 shots is awesome because it's strategic and not dumbed down and yadda yadda yadda), but no developer has ever commented on it iirc, and it appears the Sacred Ammo Amounts have been written in stone and your space shotgun which fires 3 shots per second will only ever hold 30 rounds, because having to dock and reload every 5 minutes is Very Good and Fun, apparently...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The thing is it's actually a decent balance tradeoff to have energy weapons use all your power while physical weapons have to worry about ammo, the problem is that the moment the fight is over, your balance tradeoff now inconveniences the player and makes them waste time for 5-10 minutes to go resupply. There should be some ammo factory mode where you keep your hardpoints retracted for X seconds but then your ammo comes back. That way the ammo cap for a weapon matters during a single fight because if you run out of shotgun ammo you can't attack for some time if you want to get it back. But then you can just chill for a very short time after the fight to get your gear back instead of having to go all the way back to a station.

In a way physical weapons already have the same limitation as energy weapons using power, because they have to reload, which stops you from attacking just like how running out of laser power stops you from attacking until it recharges. Physical weapons being so much worse than energy weapons almost across the board was a huge turn off of combat for me.

Would be real nice, or just an ammo rack in your internals that can carry more ammo but have a cooldown before reloads of the main magazine would suffice really as long as I can shoot more. And possibly more weapons too! Weapons are fun. Lasers can only go so far. Missiles are kinda eh, maybe against the Federal hull-heavy ships?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I was wondering, what's the current popular loadout for the Python? I sold every ship besides my exploring Asp and combat Vulture so I have plenty of leftover money to fit the python, about a hundred millions

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

CountingWizard posted:

Horizons will be the station walking (Eve Online) of Elite. It will be a one room tech demo with absolutely no reason to be there.

The only content they should be adding is more co-op activities.

I just remembered that the super-fast moon orbiting New Africa in Epsilon Indi is a rocky, airless planet. I bet it should be cool enough to attract people in open, who could then engage in frolicking and blowing each other up if they actually put proper weapons on ground vehicles like they hinted.

Also they will put bases and stuff on planets (maybe procedurally?) and related co-op base assaults also with air to ground, so I'm actually optimistic - it could even be fun!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I found an interesting explanation for the rank stuff :

I'd like to explain how the rank mechanic works. You are promoted when you complete rank ascension missions. These are unlocked by gaining a stat called faction skill.

This stat is similar to reputation but differs in a few key points. Like reputation, it is increased by doing work for or generally aiding the minor factions aligned with the major faction. However, skill affected more by combat related deeds.

Unlike reputation, faction skill will never decrease, even if you work against a faction.
[...]
The fastest way to gain rank would be to complete combat missions or turn in bounty vouchers at stations controlled by the federation. While non-combat Missions will increase your faction skill to a degree as well, the navies look for combat pilots, so the effect of missions not involving combat is very limited.

I hope this tip will speed your ranking up a bit, please let us know if you'd had any more questions, we are happy to help.

Best Regards,

CMDR Vega
Elite: Dangerous Customer Support

sorry if it's old news, but I never heard it, and it's pretty good to know. Especially as it basically means you should shoot more mans in space, which is always a good thing.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zaardvark posted:

That video also mentions a crafting system, and the Devs talk about using rare components to craft differently coloured lasers and weapons with stat variances, and also some crafting components being 'rare'. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Tentatively good? All of the above stuff (faces, multicrew, crafting) is still scheduled for 'Holiday 2015', apparently.

Nice, especially crafting and multicrew - even though I have doubts, the one thing that stops this game actually being fun with other people is that you have to actually spend half an hour flying to where said people are.

If to join a multicrew session you have to jump across the galaxy, it's not fun. Just as it's not fun to have to fly 200 LY to change ships. I understand *my immersion* and all that, but if I have one hour to play I'm not spending more than half of it jumping ...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

All this talk about hotas is making me want to upgrade mine. I have the Thrustmaster Hotas X and while perfectly adequate and still holding up well (apart from some buttons discoloring) after a year, I find myself wishing for a second hat switch or a couple more buttons that aren't there.

That, and precise control with that thing is a bitch. You can't expect much from a cheap 50$ hotas of course - the T16000 looks like a great deal being the same price with much better accuracy, but I'm not going back to a throttle-less setup. If only Thrustmaster made a T16000 HOTAS with a 2nd HAT switch and a few more buttons for about 100$, I'd be all over it, but it's just wishful thinking sadly.

So, bearing in mind that a) I'm in Europe b) I am not filthy rich c) I don't want to deal at all with failing lovely units from MadCatz d) I play on the couch so I'd rather have something that could be held togheter in one piece... what would my options be? X52 Pro and/or?

Edit: I see the CH Fighterstick... but isn't that a bit overkill on the hat switches?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 28, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Literally Kermit posted:

This is exactly where I am, I love my HOTAS X to bits but CQC kicked my rear end in, and I think its accuracy plays heavily into why I am such dog-poo poo at it. I was unable to get virtual joystick to work on my computer because Windows 10 but discovered there was a calibration tool from Thrustmaster so I have to see if that helped.

I want to say go x 52 pro but I don't want a lcd screen that does nothing. I love the layout of the x-55 but people say they have problems.

I might just save up extra and get the Warthog if i see it go on sale. Then try to make it work on Windows 10 :gonk:

The Warthog is awesome but really, really expensive. The X52 Pro looks to be the only one that's cheap (if you can call 200€ cheap...) and apparently doesn't melt in your hands, but I don't really trust Saitek..

I just went to thrustmaster's website and they have big banners about ELITE DANGEROUS, why don't they make a T16000 HOTAS drat them

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shine posted:

The CH gear is fantastic. I've had the Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals for about a decade (bought them for IL-2 Sturmovik) and they work just as well as the day I bought them. They're extremely well made and well worth the price if you see yourself doing flight/space sims for years to come.

The CH sticks do not have twist rudders, so if you want to have 3 steering axes you'll either need to get pedals, or use the thumbstick on the throttle in lieu of pedals. Not as big a deal in a space game, but for realistic flight sims, particularly WW1-2, you'll want to get some pedals for precise yawing.

Yeah I don't know, sounds overkill to me. I'm perfectly fine with the HOTAS X, I only need 4-5 more buttons and 1 extra hat switch plus more stick accuracy for under 150$... any more than that and I might as well splurge on the Warthog (which is out of the question at the moment). Actually I also really like the rocker switch on the throttle for yaw, I can't stand twisty sticks, feels wrong man.

Guess it's either risk it and get an X52 Pro that may or may not spontaneously burst into flames, or keep the HOTAS X :v:

Anyways, I was wondering - once Horizons drops, how will it be to drive a space buggy with a hotas? It doesn't exactly strike me as a ground vehicle friendly setup...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 28, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I wonder how are you supposed to find random stuff on planet surfaces. Most of them are big, and even at max speed in a cobra it would take hours to navigate them. Either they will be littered with crashed ships and outpost, or really bland?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Been on a little space exploration while waiting for 1.4 to drop, currently in the volpecula dark region. Pretty underwhelming so far, I only found a couple gas giant with water based life. I don't want to stray too far because I would like to get back for 1.4, is there something of note in the neighborhood?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Emnity posted:

I've seen and heard of exploration setups in Asps, Haulers, Cobras and Condas..

Anyone have any views or load-outs for an exploration Python, or a bad idea?

Not much on any web-searches for them either. This may be a hint it is a bad idea, but I fancy a change!

Actually a stripped down Python (no weapons, smaller thrusters and power distributor, all D stuff, 3D shield) can jump around 27 ly so it's pretty decent

but it will cost you 65 millions - enough to buy an exploration Asp, combat Vulture and trading Type 7 all maxed out for their roles.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Played a bit of CQC, very nice. I can kill people pretty good, but my k/d ratio is horrible ; once someone starts shooting at me I can't shake them. Any advice besides get good?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

quote:

Do you think that having the ability to have a ship delivered to a station of my choosing would be possible in the future?

This is something on our radar and is something we’re keen to implement in the game as part of a future update, but we have nothing to announce on that at the moment.

Nooooooooo :arghfist::mad:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I understood poopsocking the "exploits" (seeking luxuries, infinite rares, Lugh combat zone) back when missions paid 30k at most, you got 1000 credits per Anaconda kill at CZs and 10-15k max bounties at RES... but nowadays you can just go do whatever you find fun, even exploring, and make enough money to progress nicely, so unless you really have a hankering for that A-fitted Anaconda and you need it NOW, it's really not that important.

Of course it's cool to traipse around in a Python or iClipper, but it's far from necessary and you can still get there rather easily if you play regularly. 20 millions will get you in one of the best combat ships, 15 millions in the best explorer - and you can get that kind of money in about a weekend or two of playing, whether you run rares, bulk trade, do missions or shoot mans (exploring might take more time but you'll still get there). Also they added plenty of nice ships you can already have for 5 millions or less like the DBS and Courier, and it's not like you need the money for anything besides buying and fitting ships.

The only thing stopping me from buying a ton of ships is the ungodly hassle that is retrieving them, it's grating to have to jump to a specific place (possibly many LY away) and suffer through landing / loading screens if you just fancy flying your Cobra for 15 minutes... they REALLY ought to implement a ship delivery system sooner rather than later.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

So what's it cost to decently fit out a Clipper for PvP?

I'm no PVP expert and someone will surely give better advice, but I hear people like railguns, and I know you have to have good shields + shield boosters + shield cells.

So we have 120 millions for a pretty much combat maxed out Clipper (2 medium railguns, 2 gimbaled large pulse lasers, 7A shield generator, 6A SCB, all A internals except sensors and life support), of which 51 millions are for the 7A shield. If you downgrade to a still reasonable 7C shield, it's only 75 millions.

Of course the sky's the limit, with that build you have a lot of space for other internals like more SCBs, Auto field maintenance, etc but you don't really need much else for combat, and in any case you'll have to often get back to at a station to refill your railgun ammo and shield cell charges.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Some of the posts were poo poo like "Smuggling is so unfair I've been playing since December and only have 11 million"

:stare: I have made something like 50-60 millions since 1.3 dropped in June, and that's playing 2-3 hours a week! How do they make so little money unless they die repeatedly and / or fool around all the time without even trying to earn money?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 19, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SciFiDownBeat posted:

What kind of stuff do you do? Normal cargo missions/non-insane smuggling?

LCL-Dead posted:

How do you make so much? Haha..

I was sitting at about 17 million in total assets when Sothis hit the map and that's while only playing 3-6 hours a week. I mostly did combat though with about a month spent running out to the rim in a Cobra before self destructing to come back and help with Jotunheim wars.

Hi-RES mostly, resetting to get Clippers and big ships (for the challenge more than the money) with a sprinkle of "kill 5 pirates" missions that I was doing anyway for 200-300k a pop, and bulk trading on very profitable routes. Averaging something like 2 mil / hour * 2.5 hour * 4 weeks = 20 mil / month.

Admittedly I have a Python from the seeking luxuries exploit, 260 cargo space helps a lot when trading :v: but I still maintain most of the money was from bounty hunting, trading annoys me so much I do it very sporadically.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I must be doing Hi incorrectly because even with KWS I was only getting 800k after ~45 minutes

That of course counts the initial slowness waiting for spawns though

You just have to kill a bad guy every five minutes and you're making 1.5 mil / hour if you get good, 100k dropships/clippers spawns. In a vulture that's not too hard :getin:

Much luck with rerolling the instance needed though, at least before haz res were introduced...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sard posted:

I was browsing around search results to see what ships and setups people use for different jobs, and one of them was a mining Anaconda with three collector drone controllers that could each handle three drones. Why would you ever need that many concurrent drones, especially with only two mining lasers? Also: For entry-level piracy in a Cobra or something in an anarchy system, picking on freighters, are hatchbreakers worth using or do you prefer to just blow out their cargo hatch to spill everything at once?

Actually in my mining Python I have 2 5A collector controllers (so 6 drones) + 1 medium mining laser and that's the sweet spot: the drones finish collecting the fragments right when the asteroid is depleted, or 10 seconds later at most.

With 2 medium lasers 6 drones can't work fast enough and I always end up waiting for the drones to finish, not much time but enough to be annoying, unless I'm only 100m or so from the asteroid which I generally don't like. Spinning asteroids smacking into you break up your rythm :v:

By the way, what's a decent way to avoid big, spinning asteroids crushing all your drones repeatedly? I try positioning myself on the side that's less spinny, but it's often not enough, and it appears the best painite / platinum rocks are always big, irregular and spinning fast in every direction :argh:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rah! posted:

Is there a trick to finding painite and platinum? I stopped at a pristine metal rich ring, and it seemed like i was able to find most kinds of metals and minerals but not those (i managed to get a lot of gold, silver, and osmium, plus a bunch of low value garbage that i left behind). Do i just have to keep looking until i finally find it? Do i need to find metallic rings to up my chances of finding the highest value metals, and rocky rings for the highest value minerals, or something?

Yes, pristine metallic rings is where you find the premium stuff - even there painite is kinda rare, when you find that one sweet 30% painite rock though...

Metal rich have the second best spawn table, filling a hold with osmium gold and palladium is still a big fat payout!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sard posted:

By the way, whoever suggested rerolling the bulletin board to sell painite and platinum and osmium is great. Frey 4 and Garratt Station is a pretty good way to make money mining if you're into clicking rocks.

Yes, I usually come back from mining trips with around 70 tons of mission worthy metal, at 80-100k per ton it makes for a very nice payout :)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^ I'm pretty tired of the 2x C3 2x C2 hardpoint setup quite frankly, every medium-big sized ship (FAS, Clipper) has that exact same setup, and adding a single C4 on top of it is kinda meh. I'd rather have more weird setups like the Asp, FDL or the original Federal Dropship

The hardpoints on that Cobra Mk IV ... oh God, oh God. I'm guessing it's "just" 2 medium 3 small, but they look incredibly tight and able to rain firepower on even small targets.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 10, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

So hull reinforcements got buffed quite a lot but the scaling on them is totally different now. Before the strength of each (D Grade) hull reinforcement was 7.5 (2^class) so going up a grade doubled its effectiveness. Now it's just a weird progression where each increase in class is +60 or +70 but the baseline strength is much higher at 110 for a 1D hull reinforcement. So class 1 got buffed from 15 to 110 but class 5 only went from 240 to 390.

Still a big buff for all classes (and bigger in terms of raw numbers rather than as a percentage of its previous strength) but the biggest change is that low grade hull reinforcements are actually meaningful now which puts them more on par with SCBs.

That's really good for the otherwise pretty useless size 1 internals on the vulture, since it can't fit a decent SCB without lots of fiddling, especially with the new mechanics. More hull gives some leeway if you get dumb and let your shields go down.

Everybody is talking about the corvette and cutter of course, but what's the deal with the Viper mk iv?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, I have a Python for mining, a Vulture for killing, an Asp for exploration (and rover shenanigans once Horizons drops).

I want a proper multirole, cheapish ship to gently caress around that can do whatever. Some cargo space, decent weapons and shields, good jump range, low rebuy. Imperial courier? Or wait for the Cobra mk 4?

I love the concept of the new cobra but they tend to make improved ships heavier and fatter, and I would rather not have worse range / agility than the mk 3 (also for God sake frontier give it better shields)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Libluini posted:

Well, for multirole the Imperial Courier is kind of poo poo. The cargo space is practically non-existent. Or you just have to live with refitting the drat thing every time you want to do something new.

The Diamondback Explorer would probably more like what you want, you can make it heavily armed while retaining 30+ light year range. It has decent agility and you can press 16t cargo into the hull when you forego the AFM.

Cobra MK3 would be the obvious choice until the Cobra MK4 comes out (for those of us with both the base game and the expansion. :v:).

The new Viper-variant is also quite good. It has less agility but tons more armor and jump range than the old Viper. But of course this is another ship where you have to wait. The Asp Scout would be ideal, since it's just a cheaper, downgraded Asp.

If you want to stay cheap I'm out of ideas at that point, though. Cobra 3, DBE or waiting.

I tried the DBE a while ago and it was kind of meh, the 1 large / 2 medium hardpoints aren't that good with the smallish PP / distributor and even with A thrusters it's not what I'd call agile (but the Vulture has forever spoiled me in this regard). Having 30 LY range is good but 20LY would be quite good enough for general farting around.

I loved my A-rated Cobra and have fond memories of it from patch 1.1 or so, but that lovely shield in a metagame where shield beefiness is king ... it was fine back then when the alternative was the Viper with extra shields but no hull whatsoever, but now there's bigger badder ships coming at you, and most new ships have the same firepower and better agility/shields compared to it.

What I would really like is a fast, agile craft with middle-of-the-line weapon setup and some cargo hauling ability - basically a DBS with more internal slots and a bit more shields, and/or a Courier with bigger internal slots and a bit less shields. It's not like being able to carry 32 tons of cargo instead of 8 or 16 is gamebreaking for a small ship, actual big-money trading starts at 100 tons, and I could live with a pricier hull if the internals are not too expensive (like the FdL or Courier).

Anyway I have purchased Horizons so I'll just wait and get the Cobra Mk IV, hopefully they put some decent shields on it and don't make it go 200m/s tops with 3 agility or some nonsense like that :frontear:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 27, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

The only niche I can see for the Cobra MKIV is as a shorter jump range more combat-focused Asp but I can't really see that happening; either it's going to have lovely speed and agility or lovely shields. All the new ships have been bad so I'm setting the bar really low.

I wish they just do as it says on the tin : a more expensive, better version of the MkIII to keep it relevant once you have more than 10 millions. Similar speed/agility/internals, 1 more small hardpoint with better placement, some more base shield rating and let's say 5x the hull price.

But I fear they're not going that way. Since it has one more hardpoint and more utility slots, it's surely going to have higher base weight + more weight from the extra stuff on it - so lower jump range, speed and agility are pretty much a given (unless they slap a size 5 FSD / thrusters in which case :getin: ), and those are EXACTLY what I look for in a multirole ship :smith:

Also while we're dreaming, I hope they put more size 1 internals on some ships. It feels so wasteful to use a size 2+ slot for a discovery scanner...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 27, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

[quote="Grondoth" post=""453272058"]I just run media materials back and forth. Is this what powerplay is? Is that why everyone hates it?
[/quote]

Yes

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Wow, the Cobra MKIV was a disappointment. No internals upgrades to speak of, essentially a heavier MKIII with shorter legs and an extra small laser. :saddowns:

E: eeew, it's so slow! ~330 m/s boost

I called it. drat, they had a chance to make it interesting, and they just make new ships kinda worse than the old ones. Why can't we have a nice multirole ship that I haven't been flying since the first month? :argh:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So now that my hopes of a good Cobra Mk IV are crushed :frontear: I'll have to come up with new ideas for a multirole gently caress-around ship... something that can haul a rover, big jump range, decent cargo space and combat capabilities. I'm guessing the Asp is the best suited... it's the only one with enough internals to fit all the stuff I'd want (AFM, rover, 16+ cargo space, fuel scoop) and still be able to somehow fight and jump decent distances. Or the good ol' Cobra mk III ...

the thing I look forward to is having 90 ammo on the space shotgun. With the nerfs to energy weapons' ability to gently caress up hulls, the good old twin pulse laser Vulture will need a facelift: I was thinking about c3 beam + c3 cannon as has been suggested many times, but I think that with the Vulture's ability to glue itself to any other ship's rear end, a 90 ammo frag cannon could juuuust be what I need :getin:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Literally Kermit posted:

You can squeeze a pretty good setup into an Imperial Courier: http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_courier/14A3A3A1A3A2A3C1b1b1b0m0200040202p5012o2f.Iw18UA==.Aw18UA==?bn=Horizons%20Imp

Sure wish I didn't have to waste so much space with a scanner AND the surface scanner, the surface scanner is kinda important now

That's nice, except for the 2A prismatic, not going to waste precious time grinding powerplay for that. Even then with a standard 3A shield it can still fit 16 tons of cargo...but 16.6 ly jump range unladen with full tank is kinda lovely.

Anyways I already have an Asp, and I'm not that big on long-range exploration anymore (too time consuming), so I'll just A-rank it and see if that's good enough for bumbling around doing whatever, I still have the Vulture when I feel like kicking rear end or my Python cargo ship/mining barge for low risk money making.

They really should fill the gap between the 6 million Asp and the 20+ millions other ships though, for being a "do what you want" game there sure is not much choice in multirole ships, the jump from Asp to Clipper/Python is ridiculous (30 millions for a pretty much maxed Asp to 80 millions for a barebones Python / barely decent Clipper is crazy, we really need a multirole that can be maxed out with 50-60 millions...)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Literally Kermit posted:

You really don't have to grind. You just join her for 4 weeks, gently caress off until the fourth week and grind to rank 3. It honestly doesn't take that long, and you get the only power play module worth a tin gently caress.

Prismatics are slightly powerful than if you used a shield a size above it, while freeing up the larger slot at the cost of extra weight and power.

And being interdicted by assholes constantly but that happens to me on a regular basis anyway

I was pledged for a month, being constantly interdicted by assholes, and I couldn't bear it anymore, I left :smith: now I just don't care enough to wait another 4 weeks.

Anyway why are they making all new ships sidegrades at best, useless at worst? Only exception is the imperial eagle which is a straight upgrade from the normal eagle, and I wish they made the same for Viper and Cobra mk IV. Instead they're just slower than their predecessors, and have kinda minor advantages (1 more hardpoint and better grouping the cobra, less power issues and more space the viper)

Why can't we have ships that are BETTER than what we already had? Make them cost more, gate them behind ranks or whatever ... remember that they made hull variants of the Dropship because it was too lovely, slow and unfun and nobody used it, so why are they now taking the good ships and making hull variants ("upgrades" :v: ) that are shittier? :frontear::psyduck:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

uhhhh checks

OH poo poo I WAS WRONG

disregard what I said, :getin: as gently caress

e: I guess that's what I get for reading tiny screenshot thumbnails when I'm multitasking and doing real work

OK that is good. That speed reduction though, and only two utility slots makes me sad. :smith:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Libluini posted:

I'm a step ahead already, I found class 4 hangar bays and nothing else. I guess if you only have a Sidewinder you're in for a search. :shepface:

Wait so to fit an SRV into an Asp, you have to sacrifice the size 5 slot and only have 1x size 6 and the lovely size 2/3 ones available for internals?

Seriously, or is it just random chance loving you over with not finding a size 2-3 hangar bay?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just wish they add some more medium ships. Not quite rich enough to do high risk stuff in a Python or Clipper, and the vulture and Asp have started feeling stale.

We have plenty of low end, under 5 millions ships, a good selection of 20+ millions high end ships with the new ones, and literally nothing between 5 and 20 millions besides the Asp and vulture (actually vulture is 4 millions but you get the point)

Especially considering that fitting costs easily skyrocket for the bigger ships, a good Asp will cost you 30 millions - a good clipper is about 70

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

gently caress 5-20mil, I want some expensive medium/small ships with better specialization. Give me a 100mil hull with 7/6/5/4/4/3 internals, L/L/M/M hardpoints, a class 6 FSD with good fuel efficiency and a paper mache hull that can jump further than an Anaconda. Or a Cobra V that's 60mil and combines the internals of the IV and the speed of a III. The Orca is a great example of a half-assed "expensive specialization" ship that they added before actually implementing the mechanic it's specialized for.

But then you have the issue of having to grind hundreds of millions to get and operate them. Personally, not having much time to play, I'm not going for ultra expensive ships that would set me back significantly if I happen to get killed.

Yes of course you can still have fun in the cheap ships but there's a noticeable gap between low end and high end, it doesn't make sense to me to be in a Cobra when I can easily afford an Asp, but I won't be able to afford an Anaconda anytime soon either.

I just want more ships in my affordable range, and I can't be the only one out of the early game grind but unable to invest enough time to get the 100+ millions you need to run the bigger ships... Thus being stuck in an Asp or vulture forever.

We need more ships with total fitting cost between 20 and 50 millions tops, is what I'm saying.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 9, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, for you beta-havers, what happens when you get killed in your SRV? Load screen and back to the ship?

And if you only have 1 SRV in storage because you only have a size-2 hangar, it's back to a station to buy a new one? That could be kind of a hassle on exploring trips, especially outside the bubble. Not everybody wants to forgo the size 5 or 6 slot in their Asp (because basically only the Asp has room for SRVs while still on an explorer fit), 'specially when you need a big fuel scoop and probably shields if the Thargoids are ever to come.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

They reeeeally want you to dock at stations every 10 minutes, don't they?

Between the ridiculously low amounts of ammo / getting missions from BBs / rebuy SRVs / having to dock just to see the prices and availability of stuff, it's a bit overdone... it feels that unless I'm at a RES with a full laser fit or out exploring, I'm going back to a station and docking every 15 minutes and it's killing my enjoyment right now.

Let me buy something remotely and have it transported to me damnit, at least as long as I'm within say 30LY of a station that has it. Amazon is on the verge of delivering poo poo to my doorstep with a transport drone in the real world in 2015, and still we can't get a refill of ammo or a loving stored ship delivered to our position in 3315 or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe don't break your SRV? They don't seem that fragile unless you're barreling into a combat area unprepared like an idiot.

Sure that's a way, getting good has never hurt anyone - but I think the problem is more general than that, they took a good step with crafting being able to replenish ammo if I recall correctly, but they keep adding reasons to go back and dock at stations.

It should be the opposite because after the 10000th time it's not funny anymore unless you're drunk and bonking on objects/ships/walls while you land (which is, I believe, the right way to play)

• Locked thread