Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh man, I really, really liked the Nausicaa film so this thread is getting me hyped to read the manga rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Fat_Cow posted:

So what is looking to be good this season besides One Punch Man?

Haikyuu!!

These dumb volleyball boys are gunna make me cry again I just know it

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DamnGlitch posted:

The trigun anime is shooty but it's not very violent, at least for like half the run.

That doesn't sound like something that should be a complaint

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I know, still stand by my point

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Astro Ambulance posted:

I saw a recommendation somewhere on this board for an anime that was described as "like chai tea for the soul" or something like that, does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

I would also be interested in this!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I will stand up for K-On.

K-On is good. The girls eat cake, which is a thing that I like, and they occasionally play music, which is also a thing that I like. Most importantly, they are good friends, which is perhaps my favorite thing. It is funny, and cute, and Mugi is the best and has enormous eyebrows like that guy from FLCL except hers aren't to prevent her forehead penis from coming out, they're just naturally like that.

All of this is good

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Davincie posted:

watch classic college romcom/educational series about bacteria, rotting meat, rotting fish, brewing beers and other booze and so on moyashimon

!!!

Holy crap, I didn't know this existed! This sounds great!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

StandardVC10 posted:

Whatevs I was pretty captivated :shrug:

:same:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Kylra posted:

I've been feeling like I want to cry to something. Not the sappy romance happy kind of tears though. I want the kind that comes from irrevocable loss and/or struggling through some kind of intense personal suffering. Perhaps with some nobility mixed in, but not something that's just in the epilogue unless it's really powerful. Below is a list of some examples of the general direction of the kind of thing I am looking for. I don't mind if there's build up to it. Romance type stories are still acceptable recs here, but should probably be tragic in some way (see: Princess Tutu, Utena).

Princess Tutu
The end of Madoka TV
Kiritsugu's poo poo in Fate Zero
The more melancholic parts of Kotoura-san
Wandering Son
Utena
From the New World

It feels like there's a few others I should remember to list here, but they aren't coming to mind if so. I feel like Kino's Journey is supposed to be in here for some reason, but I can't remember well enough to say for sure.

Would Shigatsu/Your Lie In April fit? It's pretty emotional but it might fall more into the romance side mostly

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Kylra posted:

I haven't tried watching it yet, but probably not really? It sounds like it would go through a happier tone shift similar to Kotoura-san, but maybe not dip back into the conflict from the premise so much. Which if that's the case it's probably not quite what I'm asking after here.

There is a bit of joy in the show but it's also kind of an emotional rollercoaster so when moments of tragedy and failure happen they hit surprisingly hard

maybe it still doesn't fit, it's just the first thing that sprang to mind :)

e. I going to take that Anohana rec for myself though since I haven't seen it :cheeky:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Radio Spiricom posted:

i love innocence but it elaborates on the deliberate pace, constant philosophizing, and overall mood of the first, rather than focusing on the procedural aspects. sac is definitely better if you prefer the latter, but i'm not a big fan. i realize i'm in the minority here.

if you like the movies just watch all of oshii's other stuff.

:agreed: :)

Still liked SAC but yeah, super enjoyed wallowing in Innocence

also,

The Devil Tesla posted:

Watch Patlabor.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Torquemadras posted:

Aaaaand now I've watched Read or Die OVA as well. :toot:

Any other short action shows? I really liked Kyosougiga, and I'm a huge fan of the action in FLCL/Diebuster, as well as the more intense scenes in One Punch Man. It seems really tough to find this sort of frantic super-kinetic action :(

Ever seen Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta? It's a cute show with some very good action~

https://d2.maxfile.ro/zsnlgqsrux.webm

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Torquemadras posted:

I think I tried that one at some point, probably due to the second gif you posted there!
Only watched the first episode - really did have nice action, but felt painfully cliched, like the most utterly generic people-with-powers thing. Not really bothered by the fanservice, just... didn't really catch my interest. Maybe I should give it another chance.

:cheeky:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Torquemadras posted:

sister #2 so fuckin dumb that you can talk her into having a fever

Karen is really good and strong actually :colbert:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

VostokProgram posted:

The mangagamer people replied to me. Posting in case others care:

Neat, I might check that out when it hits steam

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Spiritus Nox posted:

Been playing through the Steins;Gate game recently - I hear the Anime is good? Think I might hit it after I finish the game. What should I expect?

I hear the OP isn't as good as the game's

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

gmq posted:

I'm looking for anime made in the last year that'll make me cry of happiness/heartwarming.

I have cried after watching:
- Azumanga Daioh
- Clannad
- CCS (the episode where Sakura breaks her dad's things :negative:)
- Kimi ni Todoke (the fight and reconciliation with her friends :3:)
- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako
- Non Non Biyori (it was almost too chill though)
- Etc

Most recent one:
- Erased

Hmm, Haikyuu has made me cry. The team rallying around each other and coming together in the middle of some very exciting and intense volleyball can be extremely touching. Chihayafuru as well, for kinda the same reason, this weird poetry game is sooo important to these teens, it's really emotional when things happen.

The third season of YuruYuri has some really heartwarming episodes in it too

e. Oh, didn't see the 'last year' part, oh well :sweatdrop:

Ah! Just in case you missed it, NNB got a second season. It's really wonderful and often very touching too

Knorth fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 19, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
+1 Ping Pong, Mushishi & Gatchaman Crowds

Also Non Non Biyori if you like extremely chill and feel-good things

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Nude posted:

Hi I'm looking for a type of anime that does creative/weird things with the medium. Things like Ping Pong, Nichijou, anything by Satoshi Kon (Paprika). That's pretty much all I have as an example though. When I say creative I mean like interesting camera shots, or playing with different mediums (charcoal, watercolor), or weird cuts between scenes. stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v6iOVhw6mQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0v-NuudQw

I hope that gives you some idea of what I'm looking for oh and I know about Studio Ghibli of course. I basically want watch really weird tripy films.

There's always Mononoke, if you're looking for pretty interesting visuals while following The Medicine Seller around as he solves mysteries involving spirits

Here he is petting a cat

and here is some mononoke things

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Maybe Moyashimon? It's about some friends going to an argricultural university so mostly adult schoolkids :) It's pretty funny and has a neat gimmick where the main character can see and talk to microbes! They learn a lot about fermentation and how to make sake and have fun college adventures!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Nate RFB posted:

I liked Moyashimon when it first aired but I can't help but think of it as a worse Silver Spoon

Nope! :mad:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Although, SIlver Spoon is also a pretty good recommendation too if they're willing to relax the school kids thing, plus I thought the humour in Silver Spoon was a bit goofier

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The Black Lagoon dub fits the show pretty well

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Seitokai Yakuindomo is pretty much constant sex jokes but isn't very fanservicey. It's less outrageous situations like Prison School and more that some of the characters are dorky pervs though

https://a.pomf.cat/xhztia.webm

https://a.pomf.cat/cabdcx.webm

https://a.pomf.cat/cbwenp.webm

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

What's the best sports anime that isn't three thousand episodes long

I think the only ones I've watched are Ping Pong/Chihayafu/One Outs but I loved them all

Haikyuu has about as many episodes as Chihayafuru and it is amazing

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't recall much in Shinsekai Yori being more gross than what you'd have seen in Evangelion

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Droyer posted:

Flying Witch.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Wolf Children is a great recommendation too

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ore Monogatari is a really good recent romcom you should probably check out

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hoozuki no Reitetsu - The day to day lives of demons in a pretty tightly-run, beureacratic Hell

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Usagi Drop is a pretty mundane but very touching story about a man's life evolving around his newly adopted daughter

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Davincie posted:

Only Yesterday is an incredibly overlooked ghibli movie about an adult woman going back to the country side and thinking back to her childhood years

oh my god, this

It's a really wonderful movie

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ahh, I still need to go back and finish Kids on the Slope, thanks for the reminder :)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Porco Rosso, Only Yesterday and My Neighbour Totoro imo

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They're very different films

watch both.

(mononoke is the more traditional adventure film of the two, if that changes anything)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Seconding both of those

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

devtesla posted:

Moribito!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

i need something that isn't very serious and has some really good action

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

smenj posted:

Regarding bleak shows, there's also From The New World, which I really enjoyed.

:yeah: It's one of my favourites