Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brexit the Frog

hey byob

i've been making my way thru Star Trek TNG this past month (on s3 now), and i fear that i'm starting to like it more than Star Wars..?

has anyone had a similar progression through lovely and sad sci-fi?

please advise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao

Trek wins just on sheer volume alone imo TNG, DS9, and ENT are all worth watching. Wars has 3 good movies and 3 bad movies. The only bad trek series is voyager.

wearing a lampshade

and fantreks. don't forget fantreks.

fuck. marry. t-rex

What about star GATE

Brexit the Frog

i liked the movie well enough. haven't checked out the show

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Sorry OP I did the opposite. Was exposed to star trek and shifted to star wars afterwards

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

ron color
I love votager

ron color
anything can happen there's no consistency. amazing

DemonToadGoat

I like one, then the other

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
voyager had the episode where paris went so fast he turned into a lizard and well that's really fast

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
tao of lmao

ron color posted:

there's coffee in that nebula

joke_explainer

DS9 was Star Trek with long serialized plot arcs (the last 8 episodes are all pt 1 pt 2 all the way to 8... most seasons had an issue that spanned the entire season) and voyager was star trek with less writing constraint or something. All kinds of crazy poo poo happens. Tuvok and Tom Paris go back in time to 1996 LA and eat breakfast burritos with Sarah Silverman, which are delivered to the table they are sitting at by Tuvok who is asked what's up Tuvok my man?? by Silverman says Breakfast is up and dumps the to go bag on the table. It's loving fantastic

joke_explainer

I only wish they could have made that episode today, and instead have visited the idealized version of the 90s people are constantly talking about online instead of just going outside because their studio was being fumigated or whatever

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
watch voyager and all the star wars movies at once and denounce sci-fi forever

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

joke_explainer

Janeway: 'What are you doing Tom Paris'

Tom: 'They're pogs, Captain. Also, slap bracelets. These are banned in schools not to long from now. And I finally have a chance to complete my collection of garbage pail kids and beanie babies"

Brexit the Frog

the captain has banned all pogs that say "POISON" on them, but have a look at this
(shows a milkcap with holographic printing and background made up of the word POISON in a small typeface)

platonicbackrub

ron color posted:

much like your posting perhaps ;)

Captain No-mates

why dont you try growing up OP

Uziduke

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

tao of lmao posted:

Trek wins just on sheer volume alone imo TNG, DS9, and ENT are all worth watching. Wars has 3 good movies and 3 bad movies. The only bad trek series is voyager.

Voyager beats out DS9 any day and its better than 100% of all star wars.

Stargate Universe was great, a mix of Voyager and the new BSG, to bad it got canned.

im cute

Rusty Staub posted:

i liked the movie well enough. haven't checked out the show

There's like, three or four Stargate shows and, boy, are they Something Awful!

emoji

paco650 posted:

There's like, three or four Stargate shows and, boy, are they Something Awful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAgODVbPq78

joke_explainer

In Season 1, Episode 6 of Voyager, 'The Cloud', Tom Paris introduces Harry Kim to his holodeck recreation of a pool hall in Marseilles, France, called the Chez Sandrine. During the intro to this he mentions he found the place on his second year at Starfleet Academy, when somebody pickpocketed his wallet. Kim remarks, 'Somebody picked your pocket on Earth?' incredulously, illustrating how unusual that sounds (and showcasing how different the Earth of the series is from the Earth of today). Paris remarks that they, generally, gave it back and it was just something they did for tourists looking for an authentic experience.

This bit of dialog confused me though. I mean, for one thing, have you ever seen anyone's wallet on Star Trek? Ever?

Even on Earth, you do get some extensive scenes of a very high-class New Orleans restaurant run by Benjamin Sisko's dad. But there's no money. People just eat and leave. Presumably, Sisko's dad and his servers are all just doing it for fun or to maintain some kind of live cultural knowledge/study of cooking, which would probably be pretty important given how frequently people are replicating things. Still though, no wallet. Computers seem to have no problem differentiating people's identification so I'm not sure what you'd even carry in a wallet.

Second, starfleet uniforms generally don't have pockets. The cadet uniform of the 2360s (i.e. the one we see Wesley in (and Paris's time in starfleet academy was during this decade)) has one large pocket on the knee. It is never seemingly used to store anything. This must be the pocket that is being discussed, but it's hard to imagine what he was keeping in there to steal, or how a pickpocket might manage to grab something from a knee pocket without you noticing.

Perhaps he was in civilian garb, but most of the people seen on Earth wear the same weird onesies or strange, future fashions that make no sense and also generally don't have pockets. You don't see anybody in the future in jeans or slacks until the Star Trek Abrams movie. Maybe Tom Paris is such a weird history buff that he wandered around with a big leather wallet full of fake money and IDs and poo poo just so he could pretend he lived in the past even harder. (He wanted to crew a sailing ship before his dad made him join the Academy.)

But anyway, I think the whole thing is pretty suspect. I don't know if Paris was intentionally misleading his colleagues about the pickpocket incident, or if everybody in starfleet actually does carry a wallet in a secret hidden pocket and we just never get see the wallets, and that one place on Earth still has pickpockets or something.

im cute

joke_explainer posted:

In Season 1, Episode 6 of Voyager, 'The Cloud', Tom Paris introduces Harry Kim to his holodeck recreation of a pool hall in Marseilles, France, called the Chez Sandrine. During the intro to this he mentions he found the place on his second year at Starfleet Academy, when somebody pickpocketed his wallet. Kim remarks, 'Somebody picked your pocket on Earth?' incredulously, illustrating how unusual that sounds (and showcasing how different the Earth of the series is from the Earth of today). Paris remarks that they, generally, gave it back and it was just something they did for tourists looking for an authentic experience.

This bit of dialog confused me though. I mean, for one thing, have you ever seen anyone's wallet on Star Trek? Ever?

Even on Earth, you do get some extensive scenes of a very high-class New Orleans restaurant run by Benjamin Sisko's dad. But there's no money. People just eat and leave. Presumably, Sisko's dad and his servers are all just doing it for fun or to maintain some kind of live cultural knowledge/study of cooking, which would probably be pretty important given how frequently people are replicating things. Still though, no wallet. Computers seem to have no problem differentiating people's identification so I'm not sure what you'd even carry in a wallet.

Second, starfleet uniforms generally don't have pockets. The cadet uniform of the 2360s (i.e. the one we see Wesley in (and Paris's time in starfleet academy was during this decade)) has one large pocket on the knee. It is never seemingly used to store anything. This must be the pocket that is being discussed, but it's hard to imagine what he was keeping in there to steal, or how a pickpocket might manage to grab something from a knee pocket without you noticing.

Perhaps he was in civilian garb, but most of the people seen on Earth wear the same weird onesies or strange, future fashions that make no sense and also generally don't have pockets. You don't see anybody in the future in jeans or slacks until the Star Trek Abrams movie. Maybe Tom Paris is such a weird history buff that he wandered around with a big leather wallet full of fake money and IDs and poo poo just so he could pretend he lived in the past even harder. (He wanted to crew a sailing ship before his dad made him join the Academy.)

But anyway, I think the whole thing is pretty suspect. I don't know if Paris was intentionally misleading his colleagues about the pickpocket incident, or if everybody in starfleet actually does carry a wallet in a secret hidden pocket and we just never get see the wallets, and that one place on Earth still has pickpockets or something.

lol

"..."

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

joke_explainer posted:

i think the pretending to be in the past part is more likely as humans of the future are weirdly fixated on it and seem to only enjoy old drama and classical music instead of any new compositions or, oddly, stuff from other cultures or time periods. rock music is all but abandoned, with only jazz surviving to the 24th century. sisko is obsessed with baseball, a sport that apparently isn't played anymore. picard only reads 18th century or earlier european literature and insists on owning actual books in a time when printed words are archaic and purely a novelty

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Honestly, Babylon 5 or GTFO

dumb crambo
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Captain No-mates posted:

why dont you try growing up OP

Drink-Mix Man

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I bet Tom Paris would actually like and watch "Voyager"

joke_explainer

CAT BRUSH posted:

i think the pretending to be in the past part is more likely as humans of the future are weirdly fixated on it and seem to only enjoy old drama and classical music instead of any new compositions or, oddly, stuff from other cultures or time periods. rock music is all but abandoned, with only jazz surviving to the 24th century. sisko is obsessed with baseball, a sport that apparently isn't played anymore. picard only reads 18th century or earlier european literature and insists on owning actual books in a time when printed words are archaic and purely a novelty

"Computer, outfit us with stylish but inoffensive period clothes for 1996 Earth culture"

"Affirmative"

"Great now we'll really fit in"

joke_explainer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I bet Tom Paris would actually like and watch "Voyager"

absolutely

Savage For The Winjun

star trek is way cooler than star wars but you have to be more ashamed of it so there is a tradeoff

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

Uziduke posted:

Voyager beats out DS9 any day and its better than 100% of all star wars.

Stargate Universe was great, a mix of Voyager and the new BSG, to bad it got canned.

You're wrong and most likely retarded.

----------------

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Im absolutely furious about this guy liking voyager I mean, come on.

----------------

ron color
voyager is the one people will watch and remember

Uziduke

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

drilldo squirt posted:

Im absolutely furious about this guy liking voyager I mean, come on.

But they have the hot chicks on Voyager.

tao of lmao

voyager is bad in any quadrant

GEExCEE

ds9 is the best

tao of lmao

GEExCEE posted:

ds9 is the best

truth

ron color
Star Trek will not hold up to the test of time they are all bad--except for the one that has the most bad episodes

bacalou

nothing holds up to the test of time, ron color. the grading scale is curved and god + all the angels kind of hosed us over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ron color
obviously society still exists for 800 more years so that a time traveling space ship can crash into the 1970s and then ed begley jr and the voyager crew invent the microchip

• Locked thread